Whatever happened to...?

bjorks

Secretary of Fondy Fanclub
I'm curious to know and some might think it's dumb, but I'm actually interested.

Whatever happened to...

Patrick Corbin? I know he had TJ like 10 years ago, but he's been a train wreck despite being a 2x AS. I had no idea he career record is 18 games below .500

I have many more names if y'all play along.

I'm curious to know and some might think it's dumb, but I'm actually interested.

Whatever happened to...

Patrick Corbin? I know he had TJ like 10 years ago, but he's been a train wreck despite being a 2x AS. I had no idea he career record is 18 games below .500

I have many more names if y'all play along.
Think I love this thread

How you rebound from TJ is an incredible talking point

Most guys rebound amazingly well from Tommy John…there are even HS kids getting TJ surgery without necessarily needing it…some could just rest/rehab, some aren’t injured AT ALL, because so many dudes end up better than before. It’s almost always the option chosen when given rest/rehab vs TJ for college and pro guys.

Of course that doesn’t mean everyone will end up being better, able to throw harder, whatever…but it’s wild to imagine a teenager voluntarily undergoing TJ surgery for no reason other than to see if he’ll get much better (like that Rookie of the Year movie).

Most guys rebound amazingly well from Tommy John…there are even HS kids getting TJ surgery without necessarily needing it…some could just rest/rehab, some aren’t injured AT ALL, because so many dudes end up better than before. It’s almost always the option chosen when given rest/rehab vs TJ for college and pro guys.

Of course that doesn’t mean everyone will end up being better, able to throw harder, whatever…but it’s wild to imagine a teenager voluntarily undergoing TJ surgery for no reason other than to see if he’ll get much better (like that Rookie of the Year movie).

It does add velo to lot of guys but that fucking stupid to be getting it without needing, that should be malpractice to even fuckinb do it, that worse than juicing imo! Plus it don’t last forever from my understanding.

Selection bias imo. You don't hear about the guys who don't do well after.

Same with syndergaard

Different but yea. Meada bout 18 months removed and has come back having all kinds of issues. Noah is several years removed and didht have any arm or health issues im aware of last season and seems healthy now but he sure as hell didn’t experience the added velo! He came back with way less velo and has continued losing it every season. I didn’t realize he was only 30! Pretty much have to blame the injuries cause he ain’t old enough to have lost so much! I know he had other problems besides TJ tho, he always seemed to get hurt. Something did it cause he a shell of the dude they called thor!

Think Daniel Hudson had TJ in back to back seasons

Didn't work so well for him

How about Lerner's paying Strasburg all that $ and then boom he needs thoracic outlet surgery.....now they have turned Nats into low budget team and refuse to spend any money and deal away 5 tool T. Turner for peanuts return. They need to get the fuck out and sell the team soon! Cheap bastards :mad:

I don’t really recall when or what happened to Corbin, I do recall a time he was a pretty good pitcher, if my memory correct I don’t think he was ever a big velo guy, im pretty sure he lived in low 90s during his good seasons same as niw. At some point he stopped getting swings and misses and started walking more I think.

What crazy is how young some these guys are or were when they lost it., I think they like mid upper 30s and attribute the fall off to age and miles on arm but then I’m shocked to see they barely past 30! Synderguaard is 30, that ain’t old and hell, he shouldn’t have that many miles in his arm, I’d bet he only has had 2-3 seasons where he has close to 30 starts! Corbin been bad for several years so again by 30 with not a ton of usage he was shot!! I was totally shocked the other day when I saw Bungardener was only 33 cause he fell off a cliff a few years back, at least in his case we can point to all the innings he piled up for a pretty long stretch then giants rode him like I never seen any pitcher rode to one their WS! Strasberg hasn’t pitched hardly at all since nats WS and he wasn’t getting used in nearly the fashion mad bum was! I can’t remember if they even asked stras to go on 3 days during their run? Maybe once, nothing like mad bum was doing! Giants had him pitching every other game!! None these guys are close to how old Waino was when he started losing his velo, took him a year or 2 but he learned to pitch at a pretty high level with a diminished arm.

How about Lerner's paying Strasburg all that $ and then boom he needs thoracic outlet surgery.....now they have turned Nats into low budget team and refuse to spend any money and deal away 5 tool T. Turner for peanuts return. They need to get the fuck out and sell the team soon! Cheap bastards :mad:

I think stras has made 7 starts since getting that deal! Talk about paying for past performance! He was the main man in the WS run so maybe it was simply a reward? I don’t think they had this in mind but that was dumb on their part, in reality how much was he actually healthy before the WS year? He been dealing with injuries most his career!!

I don’t really recall when or what happened to Corbin, I do recall a time he was a pretty good pitcher, if my memory correct I don’t think he was ever a big velo guy, im pretty sure he lived in low 90s during his good seasons same as niw. At some point he stopped getting swings and misses and started walking more I think.

What crazy is how young some these guys are or were when they lost it., I think they like mid upper 30s and attribute the fall off to age and miles on arm but then I’m shocked to see they barely past 30! Synderguaard is 30, that ain’t old and hell, he shouldn’t have that many miles in his arm, I’d bet he only has had 2-3 seasons where he has close to 30 starts! Corbin been bad for several years so again by 30 with not a ton of usage he was shot!! I was totally shocked the other day when I saw Bungardener was only 33 cause he fell off a cliff a few years back, at least in his case we can point to all the innings he piled up for a pretty long stretch then giants rode him like I never seen any pitcher rode to one their WS! Strasberg hasn’t pitched hardly at all since nats WS and he wasn’t getting used in nearly the fashion mad bum was! I can’t remember if they even asked stras to go on 3 days during their run? Maybe once, nothing like mad bum was doing! Giants had him pitching every other game!! None these guys are close to how old Waino was when he started losing his velo, took him a year or 2 but he learned to pitch at a pretty high level with a diminished arm.
Corbin had TJ and I was very convinced he'd be the ace here for years but he chose to chase the money. Can't really blame him but that was his undoing.

whatever happened to luis severino? guy was looking like the next big thing for the yankees, and even last year nearly had a no no after a huge setback. speaking of yankees, whatever happened to zach britton?

whatever happened to luis severino? guy was looking like the next big thing for the yankees, and even last year nearly had a no no after a huge setback. speaking of yankees, whatever happened to zach britton?

They say he gonna be back sometime this season but yea he always freaking hurt. Cardinals have had a few. Fuckinh Alex Reyes looked like he was gonna be a can’t miss ace but he could never stay healthy, every once in awhile he would tease us with a few amazing starts then he be back on the IL! Think they got a full season of him as a shut down reliever, tried to stretch him back out the following season and back to the IL! Sucked. Flaherty looks to be ruined by injuries as well never really got much other than that amazing half season where he looked like one the best pitchers in baseball! He hasn’t shown anything like that since, lots of different injuries to arm and shoulder havd ruined him, what I don’t understand is cards always stick with these type guys while moving off a stud like Oviedo who just needed to learn a little more command! Let’s dump a kid like that but hang on for dear life with these dudes who never regain the glimpses we saw!

Cubs had a few over the years who woulda been HOFers had they been able to stay healthy! Kerry wood had a little run where he looked unhittable then was derailed by injuries. I remember seeing mark prior and buying up all his rookie cards! That went horribly as he fever even had a full season of reached potential that I can recall, lol. He had the goods tho, coulda been degrom before degrom who another guy that been totally ruined by injuries! The frustrating part about that guy is he still has it the few times he able to get out there in pitch! Injuries havnt depleted his stuff but every time he throws a pitch he likely to hurt something!! Dude is made of glass, I can’t believe rangers gave this guy a 5 year contract and in year 1 he has to leave every other start early! That contract gonna be what keeps rangers from reaching the mountain top!!

Prior was fantastic all of 03. He went 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA and 245 Ks at age 22. He then collided with some infielder while running the bases in 04 and was never the same after. His 06 wasn't that bad. 11-7 with a 3.67. Had a 7+ ERA in 07 in 9 games and never threw another big league pitch.

Prior was fantastic all of 03. He went 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA and 245 Ks at age 22. He then collided with some infielder while running the bases in 04 and was never the same after. His 06 wasn't that bad. 11-7 with a 3.67. Had a 7+ ERA in 07 in 9 games and never threw another big league pitch.

I figured there was prob a whole season I just didn’t remember, not sure I woulda bought up all his rookie cards if not! Didht take long for those to find their way into my boxes of just regular cards not worth shit!! Lol. Was that the year you guys went to playoffs and the Bartman incident derailed them against the fish?

I don't talk about that

I’d think it be easier now since ya’ll got a ship? It was one the funniest things ever the way it just totally derailed the whole team and poor Bartman had to go into hiding, like everything was put on that poor bastard!

Back