What will be the biggest deal to come outta the winter meetings?

You almost think Manny will be dealt... I think another guy you could see dealt that will be the biggest name in the future is the Mets OF Miledge being dealt for pitching with the Mets offseason signings.

It will be interesting to see how teams with players that will be FA's next season react. After all the likes of Andruw Jones and Vernon Wells are expected to now make between 14 to 18 million per season.

I read in papers regarding Riccardi's purchases for B.J Ryan and A.J Burnett for $100 million. Oh how smart it made him look because for $100 million you can barely get an all-star.

wow

scourge said:
It's being said Manny to the Giants now.....

that would be a big surprise. especially after the couple signings SF jsut had this past week.
what does SF have to offer? LAD have loads of young talent.

also, does that translate to Bonds in Oakland?

Yanks26Sox6 said:
also, does that translate to Bonds in Oakland?

Bonds says he doesn't want to play in Oakland because he doens't want to cross the bay...and...get this...
he doesn't want to wear white shoes.

Barry's gonna end up having to sign for a lot less than Barry wants, Seabass thinks...

lol...white shoes. the guy wears his pant legs so low, sometimes you don't even know he's got shoes on.

anyways...sounds like some FA chips are gonna start falling tomorrow, according to espn. and maybe a minor trade or two. guess the big stuff takes time...and in Manny's case, 3 or 4 years time.

I'm waiting to hear about Trot Nixon. He lives around the corner in our development. Apparently the Sox won't be re-signing him. He is very popular here, a hometown hero. There are almost as many Red Sox fans here as there are in Bean Town. I think their team will change depending where Trot goes.

Terpman92 said:
I'm waiting to hear about Trot Nixon. He lives around the corner in our development. Apparently the Sox won't be re-signing him. He is very popular here, a hometown hero. There are almost as many Red Sox fans here as there are in Bean Town. I think their team will change depending where Trot goes.

Nixon is who I want the A's to pick up to replace Frank Thomas. I honestly have no idea how JD Drew is worth $15 mil to the Red Sox, when they have a comparable player who doesn't wilt under pressure in Trot Nixon.

Jays offer Lilly a hefty four-year deal

Jeff Blair, today at 1:42 AM EST
As Mr. Dave Sheinin of the Washington Post entertains us all with his stylings on the piano, it's time to wrap up a day of more smoke that than fire at baseball's winter meetings.
With apologies for the lateness of this entry - there were sources to be worked, a lobby to be scoured, here is what Blue Jays fans need to know:
  • Three hours after Vicente Padilla signed a three-year, $34 million (all figures U.S.) contract, the Blue Jays extended their first formal offer to free-agent Ted Lilly: a four-year contract that sources say was valued between $40 million-$44 million. "All I can tell you is that we had a good discussion with Larry O'Brien (Lilly's agent) and that we agreed we would likely talk again before we leave here (on Thursday)," said Blue Jays genersal manager J.P. Ricciardi.
    O'Brien has said he would take a smaller annual average value on Lilly's contract in order to get a four-year deal. But he also said that he planned on talking Tuesday with the Seattle Mariners, New York Yankees and San Francisco Giants and that he'd also like to get the San Diego Padres involved in the bidding for Lilly.
  • The Blue Jays met with Greg Landry, the agent for free-agent Gil Meche, and there are suggestions that some of Ricciardi's lieutenants, not to mention manager John Gibbons, are pressing for Meche over Lilly.
  • The Colorado Rockies made initial inquiries about a trade for Vernon Wells. Wells, who is eligible for free agency after this year, is not expected to be moved but Blue Jays sources say any deal with the Rockies would have to involve Jason Jennings and two more players: an everyday starter and top prospect.2

:bow: Seabass, I think the A's would benefit greatly by the addition of Trot. A great quality about him is that he always stays focused on baseball and the task at hand when he's playing. A quiet, hard working no bullshit player that always goes the extra mile for his team.:wacka wacka: I hope you guys get him! I don't want to see him in N.Y.
Seabass said:
Nixon is who I want the A's to pick up to replace Frank Thomas. I honestly have no idea how JD Drew is worth $15 mil to the Red Sox, when they have a comparable player who doesn't wilt under pressure in Trot Nixon.

No worry about Trot coming to NY. Not even a possibility.

Jeez, though...the BoSox seem to be in complete disarray. They have so many holes, and no real plan...from the outside looking in. They're better off keeping Papelbon in the pen, if Turnbow is their best option to close. And way better off keeping Trot, than over-paying for JD...who will go on the shelf shortly thereafter.

I agree with you Yanks! The Red Sox are floundering. I don't expect much from them next year.

Pirates, hopefully getting Laroche from Braves for closer Mike Gonzales ....That would be huge for the pirates ......

Please baseball gods take mercy on me , let this happen ...i have been a good boy this year...

apparently the pirates GM Dave LittleYIELD choked again ...Brave s GM said pirates GM was taking to long on decison....

Fuck you baseball gods ....looks like i will probaly get a 32 + YO Trot Nixon for around 5.5M and he will hit 270/15/ 65 :spank:

THEN WE WILL TRY TO TRADE HIM IN JULY ....Same ole song and dance my friends

you know...they really tried w/ Mondesi...but it jsut blew up on them. bad decision, character-wise.

but all it takes is one good one, to get the ball rolling. meaning, jsut like Pudge in detroit. the first is jsut the toughest to get...

Ok guys, expect a trade from the Jays with Wells as the main spot. JP is about to lose on 2 pitchers he had coveted for awhile now. Meche is close to signing with the Royals and now the rumours are flying around that the Dodgers are willing to part with Brad Penny and a few other prospects for Vernon Wells.

The dodgers are going to trade for PEnny? Thats stupid imo.

info on the Vernon Wells deal

Thinking Blue?
Dec 7 - The Dodgers have shown a strong interest in Vernon Wells, the Toronto Sun reports. By adding Jason Schmidt to the rotation, L.A. can now trade Brad Penny and prospects (Matt Kemp, Andy LaRoche, James Loney or Andre Ethier) to get a deal done. Wells has one year left on his contract and isn't likely to re-sign with Toronto, so GM J.P. Ricciard, who likes Penny, could be open to trading the center fielder.

According to The Toronto Globe and Mail reports, agents Brian Peters and Greg Genske hope to use Wells to make their mark -- and want him to be the next player to threaten the $20-million annual threshold. Many of the big-name contracts they manage were inherited from Jeff Moorad, who sold his sports management business in 2004 to become the CEO of the Diamondbacks.

Looks like Pettite is seriously considering going back to the Yankees and if thats the case then The Rocket is going to follow him back to the Bronx.

Back in the Bronx?
Dec 7 - Don't be surprised if Andy Pettitte returns to the Yankees. While the left-hander could still return to his hometown Astros, the Yanks are confident they will outbid them, The New York Times reports.

Houston would like to bring back Pettitte for one year and $12 million. But New York is prepared to offer him $15 million for one season and would consider making a two-year offer if Pettitte wants it. Pettitte may also prefer a one-year contract with a player option for a second year.

Déjà vu all over again?
Dec 7 - If Roger Clemens decides to pitch in 2007, he could end up in the Bronx -- especially if Andy Pettitte signs with the Yankees. According to The New York Times, there is a strong chance Clemens will follow Pettitte wherever he goes, even if for only the second half of the season. Clemens is in no rush to make a decision on his future and plans to wait and see how everything shakes out.

And it looks like the Red Sox are interested in Eric Gagne

Game over in L.A.?
Dec 7 - Closer Eric Gagne spurned an offer to stay with the Dodgers and will shop around for a better deal, the Los Angeles Times reports. Gagne's agent, Scott Boras, turned down a guaranteed one-year, $4-million offer with incentives that could have increased the value to $10 million.

Although the Dodgers don't appear willing to increase the offer, Boras plans to speak to GM Ned Colletti again before Gagne signs with another team. The market for Gagne has increased to more than $5 million guaranteed, with the same kind of incentives the Dodgers are offering.

The Red Sox still need a closer and have inquired about Gagne, the Boston Herald reports.

think the LAD are gonna really try to make that deal work. Penny, and one of those other names for Vernon.
btw...Penny's a head-case...and was worthless at the end.

as far as Gagne...it's a waste.
he'll jsut be hurt, whoever signs him. besides, i think there is more to gagne's story. meaning, i think he's an "unknown" user...or i suspect him of as much.

Yanks26Sox6 said:
think the LAD are gonna really try to make that deal work. Penny, and one of those other names for Vernon.
btw...Penny's a head-case...and was worthless at the end.

as far as Gagne...it's a waste.
he'll jsut be hurt, whoever signs him. besides, i think there is more to gagne's story. meaning, i think he's an "unknown" user...or i suspect him of as much.

I wouldn't be that shocked to hear something like that. Especially with all the "injuries" he's had the past 2 years.

i don't wanna hijack the thread off potential moves...but i've heard it from a few places. friend of mine i told also said Cowherd made basically the same case on espn radio one day.
we'll never know who's clean and who's dirty from that time...so it's a shame that i gotta assume all are dirty to an extent. but there are plenty of signs with Gagne, who had one of the most miraculous runs we'll ever be fortunate enough to see.

Back