What the hell is going on in Italy?

Greencastle

The Doc
This shit is getting ridiculous.

The police and security in the Serie A is pathetic. When is the last time shit like this happened in one of the other major European leagues, but its a common problem in Italy and has been for a number of years now.

Most of the Italian people I've talked too about this are reluctant to acknowledge the problem, which could be part of the reason why this keeps happening.

Violence like this was cleaned up in England, Spain and other powerhouse leagues along time ago, but Italy has yet to catch up. Hopefully they will catch up soon before more innocent people are killed.

Joe,
two games were suspended

During the Lazio/Inter Milan match riots broke loose and a police "accidentally" killed a fan.

Word broke out at the Atalanta/AC Milan game and so riots broke out and the fans tried to break the fence.

Read up on it, a lot of superstars are now starting to consider moving aboard. Even Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro is glad to be playing in Spain

Even Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro is glad to be playing in Spain

Damn, I like Cannavaro, too.

I'll look into it. It's a shame. The problem I think involves the general attitude toward the game. I lived in Rome last year for a while and though they bleed soccer, the people who actually make the trip to go to the game are a different breed than just the normal fans.

The normal fans go to a bar or stay home. The nutjobs go to the game--or, in the case of Lazio, the fascists go to the games.

black-roses-26318.jpg
sandri_gabriele.jpg

Gabriele Sandri ....He's favorite DJ. in Rome!

Last edited:
There's absolutely NO CONTROL...

The italian mafia has their hands in the Serie A, The government have their hands in it, The presidents do and fianlly bookies...

It's a damn shame because there are players there that are amazing but are going to get F***ED because of some idiots.

UEFA is going to have to step in, because the Italians have not been able to solve this problem internally.

If that means no Italian teams in the Champions League until things settle down, I think the clubs/fans would get the message.

I think the other problem, if I'm remembering right, is that the teams themselves are not responsible for stadium security. I think that falls on the state cops, the Carabineri, rather than the local cops.

So what you end up with is no real motivation to take care of the venue other than to just 'maintain order' and that's really only if they're pushed. Otherwise they're just there collecting a paycheck.

I feel like, years ago, teams were responsible for the security, but something happened so they took it out of their hands. Only now it's just as bad if not worse.

Joe,
two games were suspended

During the Lazio/Inter Milan match riots broke loose and a police "accidentally" killed a fan.

Word broke out at the Atalanta/AC Milan game and so riots broke out and the fans tried to break the fence.

Read up on it, a lot of superstars are now starting to consider moving aboard. Even Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro is glad to be playing in Spain

Just to clarify, it actually happened in Arezzo which is in Tuscany not in Milan.

"This morning I finally read the right word: terrorism. What happened Sunday is civil war," said Italy team manager Luigi Riva, the Azzurri's all-time leading scorer with 35 goals.

"We've got to stop all this before we think about playing," Riva said. "I would stop the league right away, even for a year, if it would defeat this terrorism."

The police officer who shot 26-year-old Gabriele Sandri fired with his arm outstretched -- suggesting that the gun did not accidentally discharge as the officer ran, as initial reports indicated, Italy's interior minister said Tuesday.

Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro called himself lucky to play in a foreign league with Real Madrid.

"I have the fortune of playing in a league where every Sunday families come to the stadium and the few ultras that they have are under control," Cannavaro said.

"Italy is losing credibility," Kaka added. "The match-fixing scandal, the policeman killed in Catania, now the fan killed. The list is becoming too long."

Back