What Pitchers Are you Lining up to bet?

Seabass

Pretty much a regular
In April, I feel like half of the game is just betting the undervalued pitchers, the guys who are going to have good seasons out of nowhere that nobody really thinks about. Guys like Justin Duchsherer, Edinson Volquez last year.

After about April, the value is eroded on them because the lines start reflecting whatever happened in the past month. But in April, there is a lot of money to be made.

With that being said, what pitchers are you guys looking at this year as real good sleepers?

The guy I can't look past is Brandon Morrow of Seattle. Under the radar guy who has only started a few games and generally has been a reliever, but if Seattle remains committed to him starting and not closing, he should have a big year.

Some other guys I like, but who I'm not nearly as excited about, are Josh Johnson of Florida, Sean Gallagher of Oakland, and Scott Olsen of Washington.

Who would you guys propose?

Paul Maholm
Max Scherzer
Jonathan Niese/Tim Redding
Gio Gonzalez
Chris Young
Jonathan Sanchez
Ryan Rowland-Smith
Shawn Hill

All of the Marlins. They have a great group of young pitchers. Maybe a futures bet of some sort as well.

Paul Maholm
Max Scherzer
Jonathan Niese/Tim Redding
Gio Gonzalez
Chris Young
Jonathan Sanchez
Ryan Rowland-Smith
Shawn Hill

All of the Marlins. They have a great group of young pitchers. Maybe a futures bet of some sort as well.

If you're looking for 1 stud like a Duch/Volquez type I think it could be Gio Gonzalez.

I really like Gorzellany (sp?) To bounce back this year, and will get big easy betable numbers after the way he pitched last year

Hope you are right about Gonzalez.

I'm an A's fan and I disagree. He doesn't have stuff to blow people away, and nibbles WAY too much on the outside. I think he walked about a guy per inning.

Oakland's park will always be conducive to breakout pitchers, but I'm not sure Gonzo is the guy. I sure hope so.

I like the Gorzellany call a lot. Also Scherzer and Rowland-Smith...

Scherzer would be my second pick....Didnt do enough to make most books notice im willing to bet, should get some soft values on him in April/May

I like to see Starting Pitchers that were "hot" in Aug/Sept and look for them to carry it forward for possible early season plays.

ESPN site (kind of blows...can't use min. innings and date range filters together): http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching?startDate=20080801&endDate=20081001

"Throwing some names out there" based on August and/or Sept SP...that may provide good odds in early '09:

Jesse Litsch (Tor), Nolasco (FLA - Ace?), C. Young (SD), Arroyo (CIN), Gil Meche (KC), Randy Johnson (SF), U. Jimenez (COL), Kershaw (LAD), Josh Johnson (FLA), Greinke (KC - Ace?), R. Wolf (?), Wellemeyer (St. L), Wainwright (St. L), Slowey (Minn), S. Baker (Minn), Davies (KC), Scherzer (ARI), Scott Lewis (CLE - As soon as Pavano is DL'd)...and last but not least:

Barry Zito (SF)...........................:36_11_6:

expecting a big year from matt cain. too lazy to check his game log from the past two seasons, but i wanna say that he could have easily had twice as many wins as he actually got if he had gotten any type of run support. also, as mentioned, jonathan sanchez is undervalued and a solid sleeper. i also like randy johnson this year in that ballpark.

overall, i think the giants are going to be much improved this year, and are being overlooked by many in a weak nl west. i look forward to taking them in any game started by someone other than barry zito basically.

do you think the books will even respect Lee that much?? I mean i think everyone including Lee himself knows last year was a fluke

not sure about cliffy being a fluke.
will he have another year like last year? no. but he can still assert himself as one of the more dominant pitchers in the game.
the way he just overpowers hitters with his delivery reminds me of CC (except he lacks the secondary pitches)

but i do remmeber he had great numbers in april (aside from last year) from that thread VK and some others put up. so i will be riding him early on.

Back