What Parts of Steele Do You Find Most Useful for Prep?

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
OK, trying to think about how to use the massive information in the magazine in better ways. So I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Besides the information kept in each team's summary, what sections do you find the most useful for handicapping? Why?

2. What information in the team summary do you find most useful for handicapping? Why?

3. What is your approach for digesting the information in Steele and prepping before the start of the season.

Thanks.

This deserves an answer.

The book is a fraction of what it used to be years back. Most of what is in there is redundant.

Player rankings really mean much less than they appear to be worth.

The real reason the Book was heavily used, was for games that were witten on, for the prior season history matchups.

You could go back and READ the way the game was won and get extremely good insight to what you were facing in the current matchup between the two teams on any given day.

Almost every other format in the Book today is available anywhere. There are many good things and it is worth the cost IF you enjoy the mental gymnastics. But when it comes to true capping, the print is worth little, when the season is 2 games old. I cant see anyone needing too much from it but it sure wont produce winners after the season opens.

About the best thing it may offer today IMO, is the list of guys starting who are seniors and the one's that left.

I havent seen the weekly newsletter for years, but I though it had prior game matchups written about in the weekly publications?

Anyway, thats my take in a nut-shell.

1. The returning starters and the list of the rosters that bold who is back. I think this makes it easy to simply scale down and see that while they only reutrn 5 defensive starters, the top 3 tacklers are back. I also like to see how they did on offense/defense last season (pass/rush avgs., how they performed against which teams, etc.). This helps me make an educated guess on how a team will project given their returning starters.

I also enjoy the "hardcore" section in the back that details spring games and other interesting developments.

2. With the team summary, I assume you are talking about when he writes up the drawn out paragraphs about each position? If that is what you are referring to, then I simply read it to digest as much as I can.

3. Starting about a week ago, I read about one team a day - as much as I can. I pay special attention to the Utah St's and Louisiana-Lafayette's of the world though, as I'll get plenty of info on Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, Ohio St., etc from casual sources (TV, radio). As the season approaches, if I can't recall much about a team, I study them again.

I'll really enjoy the turnover margin sections and find it helpful, especially when looking at team season win totals

Anybody who watches college football, understands the game a little, and has a firm foundation in statistics could easily do the same if not more than he does in his magazine.

For me its a good introduction to the season, something to read, and gives you a good feel for what the current speculation is for the next season.

If he would still do those things GMan said he used to i would like it a lot more.

I havent picked it it up yet. Has he added anything new to it for this year?

Anybody who watches college football, understands the game a little, and has a firm foundation in statistics could easily do the same if not more than he does in his magazine.

except for the average person doesn't have the time/desire to go through 121 teams from top-to-bottom and gather all of that information. They would rather it spoon-fed to them in a colorful book.

I like getting Steele's book because it is very informational but I also bought Blue-Ribbon last year and that is a great source of information as well. Will be using the same books this year.

For one-stop shopping , Steele is the best there is for cfb.

Should be pciking mine up in a couple of days.

RJ,

This is a must-read magazine for me as well; I read about all 120 teams, at an average of about 3/day. This includes going to the beach on wknds with a cooler and reading thru much of the day, where I can get thru an entire conference in one saturday or sunday. By mid-july, you could ask me about any theoretical matchup at any location, and I should be able to tell you who is favored and by roughly how much. Naturally, as some have mentioned, you don't need to read the magazine to be able to do that, but it is part of my ritual and gives a really good feel for the first 4 or 5 weeks of the season. After the 4th or 5th week, the magazine is much less useful.

Except I also keep track of season ending injuries since he lists the 3 deep at every position; I just circle the dudes name when he is out for the year and it gives me a quick glimse at any teams depth issues at any position as the year moves along.

Back