What, no Week 2 wrap-up thread?

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
Who's even in charge around here? And don't say BAR because I've now met him in person and the man may be able to twerk out one hell of a rendition of Megan Thee Stallion's "Hands on my knees shakin' ass on my thot shit," but I'm not buying that he's 'in charge' of anything except those pills he scored off Tyree the Uber driver.

Which I did not take, btw, and no I will not submit to a drug test because you're not the boss of me or when and where I pee.

Anyhoo, a few quick thoughts ...

It’s so funny how we always try not to overreact to Week 1 and then, inevitably, we have a play or two that we talk ourselves into the overreaction.

For me, this was Miami. Yes, I lost a game yesterday by 31.5 points. My thinking wasn’t so much that Buffalo wasn’t for real, but that Miami’s defense was back to mid-season form and could keep this to a FG game. Turns out, and I know this will be a shock to anyone who saw the score, their defense was NOT back to mid-season form.

Instead, Miami had a massive hangover from a huge win on the road in NE, Buffalo used their home opener loss as motivation and, well, the rest is history. I do think this result doesn’t happen again if they play ten more times, but Miami would also need to keep their starter in the game. More on that in a bit.

The Raiders: It’s tough to tell how well they’d have run the ball without Jacobs playing, but the Raiders struggled to get anything going on the ground. Thankfully they didn’t need to, but it’s something to note. Also, I can’t get into Gruden’s head, but if he truly has embraced the new NFL, the Raiders you saw yesterday may be the Raiders for the rest of the year.

The NFL rewards teams that throw, and maybe Gruden has figured that out despite how much he’s said he wants to be a running team. If so, I think this team is live in most games they play. I also think you can score on them, despite how much Pitt struggled yesterday.

Pittsburgh: I’ve thought this team was going to have a tough year and Ben admitted last week they’d need the defense to carry them at least for a while. Well, here we are. I don’t see how that offense gets miraculously better soon, and they keep losing guys. That game changed with Watt out of the lineup, Carr admitted that after the game as well. Maybe they're just an under look from week to week until further notice.

If Pitt/LV play again at full health, I don’t know if this is how it plays out again. But that’s on paper. In realty, Pittsburgh is a banged up 1-1 team that can probably beat bottom feeders, but probably not beat good teams without blocking a punt for a TD.

Buffalo: Is good.

The Giants: Are not.

The Jags: Are really not. Like super not. I looked at their schedule this AM, they may get a gift here in the next couple of weeks, but barring that, I don’t see a possible win on their schedule until December. No, I’m not kidding.

The Jets: Also suck. Now, do they suck to the tune of 11 points against Denver, probably not. But the talent just isn’t there yet. You have to find ways to go against this team as Wilson goes through his growing pains. And this week, I don't think Denver has enough consistent scoring to cover the number—but the Jets offense is so challenged, Denver may just get there by default. 20-3, 20-6?

Indy sucks. Now, Indy still could have beaten the Rams yesterday, but they still suck. Also, Carson Wentz has apparently heard me talking all kinds of shit about him because now he’s out there limping around, trying to fuck up the Birds’ draft next year. Fuck this guy to the sun and back. As for the team, I don’t like them. I also think losing the way they lost yesterday may have a hangover going into a pretty huge game at. Tenny. Those two teams very much look like they're going in opposite directions.

Tenny: Speaking of the Titans, I feel like we watched the end of their preseason and the start of their regular season in two halves of football yesterday. In the second half of that game, Henry was just not stoppable. Now, I don’t think Seattle’s defense is particularly all that good, but I’m not sure it matters. If Tenny can be balanced a bit, they’re going to do what they do, wear you down, and just let Henry run all over you in the second half to win the game. I will be very interested to see what they do to Indy this week.

Seattle: Talk about coming from ahead to choke. Again, Tenny played well, but Seattle was outscored 24-6 in the second half and OT of that game yesterday. At home. After leading by double digits at half. Tell me that doesn’t worry you.

I do think Russ is still good for some points, especially until the weather turns and/or his team starts dealing with too many injuries, but personally, I think both Seattle and Indy are not very good so it’s far more likely that their Week 1 game was two mediocre teams punching each other in the face (think: Minny/Cincy). And that what we saw from Seattle in the second half yesterday is what you can expect from them long-term this year,.

Arizona: This team is exactly what I hoped they’d be so far this year. Just fun to watch. Also, capable of scoring a million points. Just do that all year and I don’t really care how many games you win, Kyler Murray. One thing I will say, and Cub pointed this out like three plays into Minnesota’s first drive yesterday, holy shit can you run against this team. Minnesota’s OL was like five yards down the field and five yards wide from each other on every run play. It was nuts. That’s bad for Arizona. But good for their totals, because if you’re going to let other teams run for eight yards a carry, you’re going to have to score to keep pace.

Minny: Minny is one of those teams that has skill players, but also sucks. Really, they should be 2-0, but they’re 0-2 because their kicker is terrible. The only reason this game this week isn’t do-or-die for them is because their division is so bad. 0-2 is nothing in this division. 0-3 would be bad, but even then you’re probably still not out of it as Chicago and GB both have one loss and Minny hasn’t played a division game yet.

Chicago: I want to see who they start at QB this week. My guess is it’s Dalton if he’s healthy. Which is dumb, but I think they’re committed to dumb until they run out of it. Sadly, dumb is rarely a finite resource. Fields is going to struggle with this offense, and I’m not sure Nagy’s play-calling is going to help him. But they only way out is through and Chicago doesn’t seem to see that yet. Or maybe Dalton’s not healthy and they have no choice. I haven’t really done a lot of looking ahead to next week yet. But until they commit to Fields, I think you have to fade this team unless they’re playing someone like Cincy, who they really should have covered against.

Denver: Their schedule is just about as friendly as you could ask for, but here’s what jumps out at me about them, the under. I think, whether they say it or not, they don’t really expect that offense to generate 20+ points a game. So they know their defense has to be good. Well, they keep playing shitty teams so that’s worked out great for them. Unfortunately, the line catches up with them on that this week, and the schedule starts to do the same the week after that. But this week, you may just tease ‘em, get it under a TD and let them win 20-10. Also, as I said, I think you have to look at the under.

Philly: Sigh. This regression was probably always going to happen and honestly, I wouldn’t even be mad about that loss yesterday had they not carted Brandon Graham off the field. We also may have an injury on the OL, and if that starts to go bad, look out. But I think SF is good, so I don’t really mind holding them under 20 and still losing. I do think Dallas beats us this weekend, though, much as I hate to say it.

Dallas: This defense is starting to come together a bit. It’s not there yet, and you could argue the Chargers got screwed out of enough points to win yesterday, but when Dallas needed to move the ball, they did and they won that game more than LA lost it. I still don’t think they’re great, but you don’t need to be to win this division. And if they stay healthy, right now, they look better than Washington to me, which would make them the best in the division.

San Fran: Nothing matters about this game for them yesterday other than injuries. That’s it. And that they suffered more injuries is a problem. I still like this team, but they have to find a way to get through games in one piece or it’s all going to start coming apart on them.

Both teams from LA: I mean, it’s not ‘no notes’ per se, but they are about who we think they are right? The Rams found a way to win on the road, the Chargers found a way to lose at home. They’re both probably going to be around 10 or 11 wins, maybe 12 so aren’t they about who we think they are?

Also, aren't the Bengals who we thought they were?

Atlanta: So, speaking of notes, and overreacting to Week 1. Atlanta sucks. And maybe yesterday was their SB. At least for the first half of the year,. HOWEVER, Atlanta moved the ball on TB. I was on the Bucs and honestly, I feel very lucky that ticket cashed because Atlanta’s offense was ‘much’ better than I thought it would be on the road against what is supposed to be a good defense. That said, given the way they lost, especially after the effort they put in. I could see them falling flat this week. They played really well, and they still lost by like 20. No way that's not deflating. Especially now that they go against a Giants team that desperately needs a win and will have extra time to prepare.

Tampa: Is good. But their defense, so far, is leaky. That said, it’s been two games now where Brady has basically been able to score when he wants. It was harder in that second half yesterday, but I don’t think anybody ever feared that team might lose outright. They look a little like KC did last year. They score enough to win, then stop caring, even if that's in the second quarter.

Kansas City: Honestly, again, I think they are who we think they are. Great offense, will let you score 20 on 'em because they plan to score 38.

Baltimore:
Huge win last night, tough to see how this week isn't a huge let down. At Detroit? They may be good enough to walk in there and not try and win, but to cover? Pass.

Cleveland: I think yesterday was a hangover game from the Chiefs loss. Or at least that’s what I’d like to believe. They didn’t look great, but Houston sucks, and Cleveland covered the teaser which is all that matters to me. Which is to say, let’s not get ahead of ourselves on the Browns. Suddenly this team is good enough to cover double digits? What are we basing that on? I don’t see it. Not yet.

Houston: If Tyrod is really out, this team is going to rival Jax for worst team in the league. This dude Mills or whatever yesterday … woof. I mean, if their front office cared about winning I’d suggest getting Cam on the phone. Or somebody. But I’m not sure they do. So there’s that.

New Orleans: Obviously they’re not as good as week one and not as bad as yesterday. I figure they’re like a better Minnesota. Or a Seattle with a better defense. I want them against bad teams. Against good defenses though, I’m going to pass.

New England: Speaking thereof. They look like a 10 win team. Now, one of these days Mac is going to look like a rookie and through three INTs. Maybe. But until then, their defense is good enough for me. I’ll play ‘em in spots like yesterday without hesitation.

One last thing overall, QBs. Miami loses Tua, Wentz may be down. Tyrod seems to be down. I haven't looked at the injury situation yet, but next week may get a bit squirrelly with backups getting starts. There was a moment yesterday when Carr went down and, without Mariota on the bench because of injury, our collective group bet almost took a collective spontaneous dump on the Westgate carpet. Just something to look at and consider, not just for sides, but for totals.

Those are my quickest thoughts. Now to read the thread and have Marlo tell me I’m wrong about the Vikings, and BAR try to convince me that midget—I mean, little person—he hired to hang out with us all weekend was Hunt.

Who, I will tell you, he/she kept getting carded and I saw their ID. That little person was, in fact, NOT Hunt. So there.

a good point I heard about Chicago, which makes me think they stick with Dalton ( if healthy) as long as they possibly can.

Dalton gives the coaches and GM at least another year of employment. If they moved right to Fields and they suck, they are fired this offseason

Dalton gives the Bears their best chance to win. Fields is more talented but he is not close to NFL ready. That said, Nagy is pressured to start Fields over Dalton... not the other way around.

Dalton gives the Bears their best chance to win. Fields is more talented but he is not close to NFL ready. That said, Nagy is pressured to start Fields over Dalton... not the other way around.

yeah, that's the issue . Can they sell the fanbase to remain patient.

I feel like after watching Field take the reigns yesterday, Dalton does give them a better chance.

Tampa Bay's defense is not as good as we thought, or at least not close to the level they were at the end of last season . Cowboys and Falcons both able to move the ball pretty easily against them.

Matt Ryan sucks , and I think they will regret ( maybe) not going with a QB this past draft

Tampa Bay's defense is not as good as we thought, or at least not close to the level they were at the end of last season . Cowboys and Falcons both able to move the ball pretty easily against them.

Matt Ryan sucks , and I think they will regret ( maybe) not going with a QB this past draft
Agree big time on that defense. As hunt said yesterday, they improved as last year went on but still... It's bad...

yeah, that's the issue . Can they sell the fanbase to remain patient.

I feel like after watching Field take the reigns yesterday, Dalton does give them a better chance.
I think the fans realize the team isnt great tho, so why not let fields take his lumps and learn quicker, I heard interviews with cutler and manning both say they think it's a waste for a qb to sit now

To me, san fran makes sense to bring lance along slower, since they have championship aspirations, and cant afford losing a few games while lance struggles

Agree big time on that defense. As hunt said yesterday, they improved as last year went on but still... It's bad...

I do wonder if the Chiefs weren't starting FED EX employees on their offensive line in the Super Bowl if we would have a different perspective. If Chiefs played Tampa Bay right now, both teams are in the high 30s

There's a team that could benefit by signing Cam and drafting a QB high next year

KC defense is pretty shitty but no Honey Badger yesterday changed the way they even play on that side

He's that important

Also raiders defense is much better than last year, like I said pre season, they only need to be competent and the offense is good enough for playoffs

But d line looks better than that, crosby has made a leap, ngakoue and he are an excellent combo, and they have a ton of depth behind them that they rotate in who are creating havoc in 2 straight games, which as I said and this is not a joke, is the first time in over a decade, even when we had mack he was a 1 man show. We are going back to like the early 2000s team for a d line this good.

Which helps a young secondary, who are playing a bit deep, daring teams to throw long, when ben did he got picked off. Kj wright has been a very helpful addition to the linebackers as well.

It's not a top 10 unit, but its young and only needs to be league average, and its playing better than that.

Orlovsky pointed out too today I saw, they are running a ton of 3 man tight end formations, and it's almost impossible for defenses to cover it, you have to play the run with linebackers since theres 8 potential blockers, but when Carr drops back theres no linebacker that can stay with waller, and moreau/carrier underneath catch everything. He compared it to the way ravens used the tight ends a few years ago when lamar won mvp

is Tyrod done?
personally I haven't looked for status today.
But the preliminary is he won't be available Thursday.
So there's Mills and........?
the depth chart was Taylor/Mills/Watson.

Personally , I didn't have a problem with Mills game. Green , but seemed to look at the game cerebral. You would expect that from a Stanford Grad.
But they're gonna rush a rook in his first start. You gotta have a backup.

personally I haven't looked for status today.
But the preliminary is he won't be available Thursday.
So there's Mills and........?
the depth chart was Taylor/Mills/Watson.

Personally , I didn't have a problem with Mills game. Green , but seemed to look at the game cerebral. You would expect that from a Stanford Grad.
But they're gonna rush a rook in his first start. You gotta have a backup.

Also raiders defense is much better than last year, like I said pre season, they only need to be competent and the offense is good enough for playoffs

But d line looks better than that, crosby has made a leap, ngakoue and he are an excellent combo, and they have a ton of depth behind them that they rotate in who are creating havoc in 2 straight games, which as I said and this is not a joke, is the first time in over a decade, even when we had mack he was a 1 man show. We are going back to like the early 2000s team for a d line this good.

Which helps a young secondary, who are playing a bit deep, daring teams to throw long, when ben did he got picked off. Kj wright has been a very helpful addition to the linebackers as well.

It's not a top 10 unit, but its young and only needs to be league average, and its playing better than that.

Orlovsky pointed out too today I saw, they are running a ton of 3 man tight end formations, and it's almost impossible for defenses to cover it, you have to play the run with linebackers since theres 8 potential blockers, but when Carr drops back theres no linebacker that can stay with waller, and moreau/carrier underneath catch everything. He compared it to the way ravens used the tight ends a few years ago when lamar won mvp

What was impressive to me is how Pittsburgh obviously committed to taking Waller out of the equation. Which is smart, really, esp. when you know Jacobs is out. Let Henry Ruggs beat you if he can (turns out ...). But what was impressive was that Carr just said fine, I'll take what you give me and, to your point, you get those LBs out of there and Carr can just throw into basically open windows where either a guy gets it or it falls incomplete.

Now, they got lucky yesterday because Watt was out Carr mostly had time, but not every team can get after the passer like Baltimore and Pitt, so what we saw yesterday may be the norm.

Speaking of which, local radio is saying Jacobs is pretty doubtful this week.

And hammys can be 4 weeks or 4 months

This guy is a very good QB but one of the most cursed I can remember
Insane athlete, like I said in the In Game. I got a soft spot for that kid. Hope they aren’t just tanking and it’s a legit injury

One way or another I'll be all over the Texans on Thursday.
Made the line 1.5, That's how I have to do it.

don't know what his workout regiment is, but I can understand. I had 3 different muscle pulls one track season. If he shredded it, forget it.
I’m on em too. I watched that entire Carolina game….they shouldn’t be laying 7 road beers in the NFL

What benefit does Cam give a team as a QB? Im not sure he can throw a football anymore
Possibly none but I'd rather him there next season if they draft someone high than Ryan...not sure the Ryan contract but Cam would be cheap

Without a good mentor some new QB would be getting thrown into fire unfairly in that division

What was impressive to me is how Pittsburgh obviously committed to taking Waller out of the equation. Which is smart, really, esp. when you know Jacobs is out. Let Henry Ruggs beat you if he can (turns out ...). But what was impressive was that Carr just said fine, I'll take what you give me and, to your point, you get those LBs out of there and Carr can just throw into basically open windows where either a guy gets it or it falls incomplete.

Now, they got lucky yesterday because Watt was out Carr mostly had time, but not every team can get after the passer like Baltimore and Pitt, so what we saw yesterday may be the norm.

Speaking of which, local radio is saying Jacobs is pretty doubtful this week.
I think they rest him for chargers on the sunday night game 2 weeks from now, I'd rather he get 3 weeks off and hopefully get close to 100% than be injured all year at 60%

Drake is great in the pass game, he and barber can be serviceable on the ground

Not just waller and ruggs too, renfrow and Edward's are both over 120 yards so far this year,

It's a really deep group and also well constructed. Waller is basically a unicorn at te, him and kelce as receiving tight ends have no equal. Ruggs is basically Grudens tyreek hill, Edward's is a big bodied receiver who's gonna operate in the 10-20 yards beyond the los, and renfrow is just money underneath and on 3rd down, 3rd and renfrow is a real thing

One way or another I'll be all over the Texans on Thursday.
Made the line 1.5, That's how I have to do it.

don't know what his workout regiment is, but I can understand. I had 3 different muscle pulls one track season. If he shredded it, forget it.
Guessing that thing with the Chargers ruined his regimen and just so bizarre how that played out

Punctured lung by a professional? Who knows how that really factored into getting back into shape but I'm sure it wasn't easy

The biggest improvement on carr this year is under pressure, he used to be horrible under pressure, it was the knock on him his draft year, hes so much more comfortable moving around the pocket now

The biggest improvement on carr this year is under pressure, he used to be horrible under pressure, it was the knock on him his draft year, hes so much more comfortable moving around the pocket now
I always liked Carr, reason I yell for the Dark Knights.

He was ruled out early, Covid I believe

He had a pick 6 on the first series and another pick in the first half as well. That's why I was wondering if he got hurt after I stopped watching about halfway through the 3rd quarter.

He was held out in Week 1, even though he was eligible after coming off of the covid list, for "precautionary reasons."

But yeah, KC's defense isn't very good...even with Honey Badger playing and getting 2 picks and a TD.

Unless my math is bad (highly possible), dogs are still on a pretty solid run here to start the season.

Week 2 dogs were:
  • 9-6 - ATS

• 6-9 - SU

• 7-8 - to the Under
Week 1, dogs were:
  • 12-4 ATS

• 9-7 SU

• 6-10 to the under
Cumulatively that would mean dogs are now:
  • 21-10 - ATS

• 15-16 - SU

• 13-18 - over/under

As a Raiders fan who is usually hyper critical of the team I have to say how impressive the first two weeks have been. Especially the week 2 win where there was every single reason to get shelled. Short week, early East coast game, injuries across the board to key players. None of it mattered. If the defensive line can continue to play this well for them they will absolutely make waves. Gus Bradley looks like a genius after two weeks to go from THAT to this. Oh and Carr better start to get some credit soon from the "experts" who always have the Raiders as a possible trade partner for every single QB that hits the trade blocks. He is playing lights out football right now.

Can we talk about dumbass coaches and time management?

Luckily Joe and Cub got to hear me bitch about this already, but I'll go ahead and do it again...

Minnesota could have run at least one more play and gotten some more yardage to make that FG even closer. They had a timeout fergodsakes! They deserved to lose that game out of pure stupidity... heck... you already missed an XP, you would think 'safety first'...

At the same time.,..Dallas hit that long FG to win but they also had ways to stop the clock and let it run to the very end without even running a play. That was a Mike McCARTHY SPECIAL. Tea was less than impressed with that guy, no doubt.

In college and pro, these teams need to hire clock specialists or something... we see multiple errors every week of something that is VERY simple.

Back