What have you learned through 3 weeks of the CFB Season?

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I'm sure plenty of interesting opinions coming as far as officiating, coaching and kickers...

Michigan State still has the same freaking offense as before. It won't change, not under this coaching staff. Dantonio prioritizes loyalty above all else. This isn't really new I guess. I mean last week was freaking Western Michigan. I could run for 100 on that defense with BAR blocking for me. But it was telling that there was supposed to be some new emphasis on zone blocking, a new starting running back and then the same old unwatchable garbage.

FSU 3/3 1H, and FSU opponent 3/3 2H.

Either Auburn is holding back on releasing their offense, or only has a handful of plays. Like FSU, there is a trend forming for AU opponents 1qtr. Steele seems to have a wait and see approach to in-game adjustments after the 1st qtr is over.

Justin Fields is not an accurate passer. Games scores are hiding the fact that he throws a high ball and is going to get a receiver killed.

KSU is trending in the right direction. Love that offensive scheme.

AL can’t be trusted to hold a lead at the end of a game when opposition has the ball. Bama D is not even close to that of any year in the Saban era. A lot of uncharacteristic penalties on the last drive. On the flip side, the new USCe QB is a gamer. Granted the last TD was gifted to him by Bama penalties, but throughout the game he made good decisions throwing the ball.

Ok St lives and dies with the go route. Great RB, but he will find it hard to run against UT. Like UT next week, within reason.

OK is the same team as the last few. Outstanding offense with a meh defense.

Syracuse is a dirty team. Watched them take cheap shots all night without getting called. Kudos to Dabo (and I dislike the guy for being such a goofy individual) for teaching his young men composure. Wished someone that will go unmentioned...cough, cough...Willie, you assclown...would learn how to do that.

Now that Kentucky played a real opponent...i think it‘s o-line is for real and its run game is formidable even without Snell. Its pass rush is absent, its secondary is ridiculously young and can often get picked apart. Sawyer Smith is not at all some big downgrade at qb. He can throw the ball well downfield. Gotta say tho i have no clue how he got a 50 yard run last year. Nebraska defenders must have been glued to the turf lol

Michigan State still has the same freaking offense as before. It won't change, not under this coaching staff. Dantonio prioritizes loyalty above all else. This isn't really new I guess. I mean last week was freaking Western Michigan. I could run for 100 on that defense with BAR blocking for me. But it was telling that there was supposed to be some new emphasis on zone blocking, a new starting running back and then the same old unwatchable garbage.
He is more stubborn than Shaw with sticking to a game plan. Gotta throw it out the window when it is not working.

OK State's D line put almost zero pressure on Tulsa QB who had all day to throw. The O line is only marginally better at run blocking. I'm fading them until proven otherwise.

* I won most $$ on Cowboys yesterday, but it was not pretty to watch after first qtr.

Minnesota really lives dangerously.

BYU football is fun.

Louisville managed to cover despite being down to the 3rd string QB, although it was just vs WKU.

Trevor Lawrence gets hit alot, he took some big hits vs both aTm and Cuse.

There were A TON of late game scores effecting sides and totals, front doors, back doors, bad beats.

Akron and Umass are legit terrible.

Uk better overall offensively diminishes the loss of Snell and they arent the same defensively. Maybe a team you can find some over values on.

Narduzzi is a moron. I am likely behind the curve on figuring this out. How does he expect accountability from his players when he doubled down on his decision in the press conference. I hate players but I felt bad for his kids who tried hard all day and then had their coach make an inexplicable decision

Z Wilson for byu is the best pro prospect at QB In cfb for me. Good decisions, good balls, good scrambling ability hehe i said good balls.

FSU has a couple issues that seem fixable unless it is heart related. Too disorganized too often over the last couple years. They sometimes struggle to look cohesive. The parts are good but they are not buying in.Also they are either getting dramatically outcoached with adjustments, are out of shape physically and tire late or lack heart. All but the last is fixable. This teams talent shouldn't be this disjointed. I think BBF mentioned Willie Ts contract before but I don't see how you can keep him around anymore.

Not sold on Tosu oline just yet or Fields accuracy as a passer but as he develops, he poses a lot of problems for defenses. Defense appears to be rounding into form. They seem the class of the B1G to me.

Rice is better than people think. Their results against tough competition might present value moving forward. Not saying they are good by any stretch but saying from a betting perspective they are better than what market will probably value them at. Offense is interesting and the DL is decent.

Tsxas Tech offense is not dynamic right now. Lots of patterns with the primary option 5 or less yards down field. Oline seems not good so maybe quick plays keep Bowman upright for duration but who cares? Don't seem to have the type of guys who are gonna make too many people miss tackles in those spots enough to make that offense work. I sense trouble for them

Did I mention Narduzzi is a moron?

Mississippi State may be on the decline post-Mullen. Moorhead coached the poorest bowl game since beamer against kansas and now the talent seems very diluted. This team dominated the defensive line of scrimmage the last few years but not anymore and their offense has quite a few issues including a lack of identity imo. Not sure how they get lined moving forward but a potentially overrated team

Stanford secondary is too slow and qb is a gamer. Stanford an over team .... wow

Tulsa might be sneaky ok after seeing them vs two quality clubs.

More later

Kansas State did alot to keep Miss State in that game and hurt their ability to potentially pull away. K St couldn't field a punt in the 2nd qrt, up 10-0, they gave MSU the ball at the 50 leading to a MSU TD. Right before HT, K St led 17-7 with :40 left. MSU would've appeared content to get to the locker room, from their own 34, I don't think they had any timeouts, a KSt defender personal fouled Stevens on a 4y run moving the ball to midfield and MSU went into aggressive mode and connected on a 35y TD pass cutting it to a 17-14 K St HT lead. Worst case, maybe MSU moves into FG range without that penalty, but probably not. Then late in the 3rd qrt, KSt muffed a second punt giving MSU the ball near the 50 again leading to a FG. 17 pts that MSU doesn't get without K St errors and if KSt fields the punts they probably move into scoring position. You'll see that MSU outgained them 352-269 (KSt had 5.1 ypp to MSU's 5.0 yard per play), but there was no question who the better team on the field was after you consider the mistakes K St made. They benched Stevens after an INT (which K St defender fumbled back on the return near original LOS that was a wash turnover). MSU's other INT was after a K St SOD at the M20 which acts as a wash as well. K St did get one short field TD after an MSU fumble.

Clock management/situational decision making is undervalued in the hiring process at most college football programs.

Clem, Bama, UGA, and OU are legit.

And UCLA is turrible.

WVU 2nd H D was pretty lights out. Game 21-21 HT. WVU blk'd a punt for short field TD, got up 31-21 and NCSt only had one real drive of their seven 2nd H possessions penetrate WVU territory. NCSt did start a drive in the WVU territory after an INT, which I don't count for their O as driving into WVU territory, they gained just 1 yard on that possession and got a free FG out of it. NCSt gained less than 100y in the 2nd H. Stills brothers combined for 4 TFL.

From a Pitt news source

Penn State started its 2019 season by scoring 79 points against Idaho and 45 against Buffalo. The 17 points against the Panthers is tied for the third-fewest points scored by the Nittany Lions since 2016 and is their lowest point total in a win under James Franklin. It was the lowest point total in a home win since 2011.

Only 4 teams have a chance of winning the National Championship.

LSU has potential issues in the run game on offense and generating a pass rush without blitzing on defense. If the DL can’t hold up against the run in some of the bigger games they are likely to be an over team most of the season. Burrow and WR group are for real.

LSU has potential issues in the run game on offense and generating a pass rush without blitzing on defense. If the DL can’t hold up against the run in some of the bigger games they are likely to be an over team most of the season. Burrow and WR group are for real.

I could have written the exact same thing about Alabama

Last year Army lost 5 fumbles in 13 games. They have lost 4 in 3 games this year.

Tulsa is getting a lot of praise for staying relatively close to Ok State--and they played hard--but they looked like a poorly coached team to me. They knew for at least 10 minutes at the end they might have to kick a FG and yet when the kicking team went out the kicker was missing and they had to call time out. They had two or three red one opportunities at the end, but had zero idea of what Ok State was going to do on defense and got stuffed every time.

UCLA looks like they have quit and showed no hustle against Okla and the fans must realize it, because they've quit on the team as well.

Dantonio got outcoached so badly by Herm Edwards at the end of the game it was embarrassing. Az State marched the length of the field with a freshman making his first road start and Mich State didn't even come close to figuring out how to stop them. Rushed 3 every play and never once put the slightest pressure on the freshman

Even worse, with a chance to tie on the last play of the game, Mich State sent out the kicking team and lined up and kicked the winning FG except, oh, wait, they had 12 men on the field. They knew for most of the fourth quarter the game was likely to come down to a FG and knew it for sure for at least five minutes, and yet no one on the field or the coaching staff or the press box happened to notice they had 12 men lined up. Edwards and his staff knew it before the snap and were making sure the officials counted them.

It used to be you could win money by betting against freshmen QBs starting their first road game, but no more. Even the ones who lost this week kept it close

I should have been a college fb coach, man that bum at FSU making a lot of money for being seemingly terrible at his job! Is there a worse coached power 5 school? Any d1 school, high school?

No coach is stealing a paycheck more than the old Chipper right now. He legit has forgotten what a Chip Kelly offense is and how it works. They are one of the slowest teams in the country on offense all of a sudden. And he PICKED DTR...not like this was a guy forced upon him.

I have absolutely no idea what is going with FIU football this year. I know Morgan got injured vs WKU, but they just seem like a totally different team. Here are a couple notes about their NH win. I didn't see the game, but saying Kaylan Wiggins is "Lamar Jackson Light" is quite hyperbolic I'd think.

Here are four takeaways from FIU’s perspective:

▪ 1: Lamar Light: Wiggins, playing just his second collegiate game and looking like a younger version of NFL standout Lamar Jackson, ran 14 times for 187 yards and two touchdowns. He set the FIU single-game record for most yards rushing by a quarterback. He also is now tied for fifth in single-game-rushing among all FIU players, including running backs.

“The game was never bigger than him,” FIU coach Butch Davis said of Wiggins’ poise. “His legs gave him a lot of dangerous plays. If you want to stack the box against our running backs, he can put some danger on the defense.

“He also made some completions scrambling out of the pocket.”

Wiggins completed 12-of-18 passes for 127 yards. Thanks in large part to Wiggins, FIU was 6-of-13 on third-down conversions.

In last week’s loss to Western Kentucky, FIU was just 2-of-15 in that statistic, which was a sore spot for Davis.

▪ 2: Oh, Jose: FIU junior kicker Jose Borregales missed one extra point and two short field goals from 31 and 32 yards on Saturday. His only successful field goal was from 20 yards.

Borregales is just 1-for-4 on field goals this year, and all three of his misses have been in the 30-to-39-yard range.

Before Saturday, Borregales had made 94-of-95 extra-point tries at FIU. On field goals, prior to this season, he had been accurate on 29-of-36, which means that his success rate has dipped from 81 to 25 percent.

Davis said the issue with Borregales is the graduation of punter Stone Wilson, who had been his holder the past two years.

“Jose didn’t have his best night,” Davis said after his three-miss effort.

“You develop that relationship with the snapper and the holder, and you just trust them. You start your mechanics, and you attack the ball, and when the snap is a little bit out of place, you start worrying: Is the ball going to be on the spot where you want it?

“Then you start slowing down. Then you speed up. … We’ve just got to get more consistency. The snapper has to be right on point. That’s an area where we have to work.”

▪ 3: Lightning strikes once: “We had two halftimes” is how Davis looked at the weather disruption.

Davis said that the delay — which occurred with 38 seconds left in the first quarter and New Hampshire leading 9-7 — was actually beneficial to FIU.

“It gave us time to get our composure,” Davis said. “We talked about some changes and tweaks in our defense, which had allowed them some success. [But after the delay], we kind of shut down some of their runs.”

▪ 4: Back to the Bayou: Next up for FIU is Friday’s Conference USA game at Louisiana Tech (2-1). The last time these teams met, Louisiana Tech won 44-24 in the pre-Davis era of 2016.

FIU is 0-1 in Louisiana this year, losing its opener at Tulane, 42-14

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...niversity/article234905777.html#storylink=cpy

UVA was called for 4 penalties totalling 59 yards on FSU's final ill-fated drive of the game, including a roughing the passer on a 4th down incompletion.

No way both are still there. You have to assume Urban will have an interim picked out if season goes south at SC. And, Chip can't last the season, right?

Urban already said hes missing football

He starts recruiting by late october

I'll add this as I evaluate the Pokes / Horns game this weekend. Entering the season and even as a Texas grad, Chuba Hubbard was my favorite player that no one really talked about a lot (all conference selection, yet still under the radar somewhat). Nothing's changed - that guy has all the tools. Vision, cutting ability, great between the tackles and sprinter speed Love watching him play (except for this Saturday). Don't know when the last time we've had that kind of RB talent coming out of Canada but I may be missing something.

Urban was offered the USC job during the summer that would have made him highest paid college coach and he turned it down.
Yeah, he's taking the year off. He'll be USC coach this time next year IMO still. It could be a different school but most likely is USC. It's perfect for him as that conference is down. He will recruit like a madman as always and just dominate out there.

Reactions: RMR
Zach Smith is more likely to be coaching SC next year than Urban Meyer. And hiring Zach would be far more consistent with SC's recent buffoon hires.

SC will probably do the cheap and lazy thing (because they've proven to be cheap and lazy) and simply promote Graham Harrell.

They could also use the JT injury excuse to give Helton a reprieve for this year so they won't have to buyout his contract.

Last edited:
And if any ISU ML supporters from last weekend need some add'l salt in the wound...

[B]Brent Blum[/B]‏ @[B]brentblum[/B]
FollowFollow @brentblum
More
In last 10 years in College Football, teams that gained 7.7 yards per play or more and allowed 4.3 yards per play or less were 498-2. Iowa State was one of those two losses on Saturday.
8:02 AM - 16 Sep 2019

Forgot to add in my first post:

Michigan State had Ariz State in fourth and long twice in the ASU winning drive, including fourth and 15 at one point. The QB just ran for a first down with ease on the 4th and 15--no defender even watching him despite the fact he is a running threat--and completed a pass to a wide open defender on the other.

And no one--including me--could believe this is possible, but Alabama has missed more FG and PAT kicks than any team in football since Saban arrived. They get top rated kickers every year, but something strange happens to them when they get to Tuscaloosa.

The current one was ranked #2 in high school and he kept up the tradition by missing two FGs and a PAT against S Carolina

How about Pitt on the 1-yard line, with 4:00 min left in the 4th down 17-10. Narduzzi decides to kick the FG....what was he thinking?

Furman recovered an onside kick very late 4th but were called for penalty blocking before ball went 10 yards. It looked like a close controversial call.

Back