What have you learned after week one in college football?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
Lot of sloppy play by ranked teams. Sharpest team I've seen so far is aTm.

Zona a good play on when facing teams that cannot pass or defend the pass, possible play against vs teams who can pass and defend the pass.

Unlv has two good wr and a decent qb with an ok oline ... and 11 bums on defense ... They will score in conference in good weather.

BG is uptempo now and defense has taken a step back, They should score a lot more and give up a lot more ... not sure it can be adjusted enough by market early.

uga offense for real and defense found legs, Impressive team

Sumlin a top 5 coach now .. you just can't take what he is doing away from him.

Purdue and WMU couldn't stop me and 10 ctg members from scoring. Would recommend fading both but pretty sure it will be lined that way .. after all purdue was dd most of the week.

UVA defense is nasty. secondary can be had if you get time but not so sure they don't get pressure on most teams. scheme was great today .. team has bought in

navy looked great on paper heading into the year .... think they are on the field as well after today ... team is going to beat some folks.

burials of the okst and wvu offenses seems premature ...

Marshall is a pretender ... including the qb .. don't get me wrong .. he will put up huge numbers but that team doesn't have it ...

Houston is an enigma .. good luck figuring out what you will get from week to week.

That betting a teams system is sometimes the way to go regardless of qb.

Nick Marshall is probably the best zone read option qb I've ever seen. Run plays only. That team just took it another level with him in.

Okie Lite is going to make some noise this year.

Minny offense is trash, but defense will keep them in games.

James Franklin still sucks making in-game coaching decisions, but PSU kicker has some balls of steel.

UCLA a slow starter in early games.

No FBS team is going to schedule NDSU anymore after another dominating effort. New coach, new QB, same result...

Either Cal got better or NW is awful. I can't decide. I do know that Houston is god-awful. wow.

UGA might be the best team I saw. aTm probably second.

Am defense is atrocious Imo. If they had to punt a couple more times they could have lost.

Golson has not lost any confidence.

I think Boise is trash but that ole miss d pretty Nasty.

Very impressed with Okie St. I had no idea what to make of that game beforehand, but OSU and Gundy/Spencer are looking good. Young talented athletic players all over. Also don't think FSU and Winston looked too sexy

houston - I think O'Korn was drunk. But in seriousness Houston defense is good, but their gonna have issues if they don't get the OL figured out.

Bowling Green - Just what I expected with a new coaching staff. Defense will suffer

virginia D is legit

Tulsa will upset at least 1 higher conference team this year. Dane Evans took a massive step forward, but the d is still a question. I have a feeling the defense comes together halfway through the season.
Tulane is better than I thought they would be. Tanner lee can play and can take a hit and still deliver the ball

I thought WVU would be better this year, but didn't expect what I saw today. I think it's obvious Bama still has trouble with hurry up offenses

troy defense is still awful

Not much to take from the OU game. The RB committee are very physical. Didn't get a good look at any other WR's really. The defensive front could be really really good like I expected. OU's first team defense played MAYBE 1 quarter together.....but prob not even that....over half the game was played w/ a mix mainly with 2's/3's with some 1st teams scattered in. It could have been much uglier final, for what it's worth. Overall, nothing much to say about the game.

I could throw up much more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Fsu needs work in trenches. Agree okie lite looked legit. Some lucky plays by fsu but the good teams get those breaks.

Impressed with UGA. Depth everywhere & ridiculous OL play. Mason doesn't get in the offense's way. The defense under Pruitt has room to grow in the secondary but can be vicious. And Gurley is just the best thing going. Big strong fast & elusive. As long as he's healthy I think UGA is one of the 4 playoff teams.

Clemson defensively ain't what was sold to us, and if they dont have that wildcard in their pocket then shit is going to get real. Impressed with Cole Stoudt & Watson on the offense.

aTm is LEGIT! Take a peek at that roster & you'll see a ton of young 4 & 5 stars on both sides of the ball. Mike Leach did damage with 2stars in the AirRaid, Sumlin now has 4 & 5 stars. This could be incredible. But again they are young so some mistakes are going to occur. But whew boy, 2yrs? Lights out!

Noticed Spurrier went full fledged Fun N gun with the USCe offense. He's shown hints of it in the past at SoCar, but he went full fledged Chuck N Duck. That could have been a function of not being able to run, getting down quickly to aTm or both. But I saw the Danny Wuerffel/Ike Hilliard/Jacquez Green Fun N Gun. The Mills, Corker, Fork & Ralph plays. (excuse me Im an offensive football nerd)

But that game said a LOT more about USCe's defense than it did about aTm's offense. The young SoCar secondary had to play off almost all game and because of it Kenny Hill just killed them with the short stuff & screens. He didnt have to attempt much down the field because SoCar gave up all the short stuff. They dont have the secondary to challenge people & dont have the personnel to run the 3-4. They are fucked.

In otherwords temper the aTm crush some (though not much), and up the SoCar angst. They get 2 more good offenses in the next 2 weeks. 1 of them is almost the exact same AirRaid that just crushed them, albeit with 3 stars instead of 5 stars, then UGA rolls into town. 2 weeks later they have to see another dynamic offense in Missouri, get to visit Gus Malzahn before Halloween & finish up vs Chad Morris' HUNH. They better get better in the next month or they could be 2-3 at the end of September.

Okla St might lose 1 more game this year, maybe 2. Think of it this way, if they are THAT good to begin the season and you project growth. How good will they be by the end of the season? Certainly glad FSU doesnt have to play them in November. The Cowboys were impressive sustaining the early jabs FSU threw at them. Even more impressive was keeping FSU out the endzone offensively for most of the 1st half. But if there was 1 unit on Defense that was going to be exceptional for OSU it was the DL and they absolutely were. They went toe to toe with a top OL & just gave up 106yds rushing. Granted much of what OSU did defensively was geared around completely selling out to stop the run, but still they executed it.

The OSU gameplan defensively was fairly brilliant, because they left their most vulnerable defensive area unprotected (the secondary), but made it so that FSU couldnt take real advantage. So while FSU rolled up huge passing numbers, OSU gambled correctly that FSU wanted to run & sold out to stop it. By risking correctly that FSU was going to continue to force the 1st down run and committing to stopping it, OSU placed FSU in far too many 3rd & long situations. This team doesnt have Benjamin anymore, the 1 man 3rd down conversion, and there's only so much you can force it into Rashad Greene before its an Int (or 2 :( ). The couple of deep passes OSU allowed were a direct result of FSU catching OSU committing too much to stop the run & using PA off of it to connect deep 1 on 1.

The Winston run was a likewise brilliant counter to what OSU was doing. The Cowboy defense had stopped accounting for Winston completely in the run game & had begun to blindly attack the edges of the zone game, leaving the secondary in man. Fisher dialed up the draw, Winston let the rush go past him (believe it was 4man rush with a Red Dog), the WRs carried the DBs on deep routes, then Winston just became an athlete. I feel that sort of play could have been effective most of the night, the Cowboy defense did not account for Winston in the run game. I also understand why you dont want to be running Winston. But then that makes the decision not to use a constraint screen built off the Inside zone/outside zone odd. Thats the entire purpose of that play, shotgun, place ball in RB's belly, ride through the mes point, read the decision defender (in this case Nickel or Space LB), they step up? Toss the quick slant of the read,, they step back? hand the ball of on the Zone play, They overload on numbers? Toss the Screen to field off the Outside zone.

The big take away without getting into minutae though is this game says more about how good Okla St is/will be than how "bad" FSU played. That OSU team may finish with 2 losses & has an absolute gamechanger in Tyreek Hill. Great coaching & a proven system. I learned more about OSU than I did the Noles. This was never going to be a team that was going to be like last year's, they are their own team. I think some are expecting 50-13 blowouts and there will be some, but OkSt is a damn good team and I dont think anyone will blow them out.

Last edited:
Impressed with UGA. Depth everywhere & ridiculous OL play. Mason doesn't get in the offense's way. The defense under Pruitt has room to grow in the secondary but can be vicious. And Gurley is just the best thing going. Big strong fast & elusive. As long as he's healthy I think UGA is one of the 4 playoff teams.

Im still shocked with that effort. They played with toughness, made adjustments on d which never happens, looked in better shape (no one was cramping), this team will be a problem for everyone. They are 4 deep at rb with nfl prospects, and are strong at OL and wr. They also might have the best defensive end in the country.

Fsu will walk to the playoffs with that easy schedule, but I'm definitely not forgetting the Cowboys getting in that backfield a lot.

Am defense is atrocious Imo. If they had to punt a couple more times they could have lost.

Golson has not lost any confidence.

I think Boise is trash but that ole miss d pretty Nasty.

....and their defensive captain and leader in tackles was ejected in the first for targeting!

Ark/Aub game looked even until HT. Not sure what the hell happened in those locker rooms, but going to keep an eye out for how those two teams adjust at HT next week - if we see similar results from one coach or the other we may have some good 2H betting opportunities in weeks to come.

Ark/Aub game looked even until HT. Not sure what the hell happened in those locker rooms, but going to keep an eye out for how those two teams adjust at HT next week - if we see similar results from one coach or the other we may have some good 2H betting opportunities in weeks to come.

Arkansas defense got tired and their QB couldn't complete a pass. WR didn't help. Also think it helped that AU went back to zone read instead of more passing. You could tell they are more comfortable with Marshall at QB, both in play calling and efficiency

And there's this:

<header class="entry-header" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(64, 64, 64); font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 22px;">[h=1]Elevator Gate: Arkansas coaches get stuck in press box elevator at halftime[/h]
3c59d52cb44c0733603f7dbd259071d2
DREW LAING
arrow.png

August 30, 2014 @ 10:20pm

</header>
USATSI_8057961-650x342.jpg
sds-feature-overlay.png

According to the Thomas Murphy of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, the Arkansas coaches located in the press box got stuck in the elevator during halftime on the way down to the locker room.
They never made it to the locker room for halftime to talk with the players.
“We ran into a little glitch,” Bielema said. “Our coaches never made it down from the half. They were stuck in elevators. There was kind of a little audible there we had to deal with, but the great thing was the kids had big eyes and big ears.
“It is what it is,” he said. “We had to roll with the flow. Obviously I have coaches up in the booth who look forward to coming down here and meeting as a staff and get on the same page. We were able to communicate by phone.
“I’m not trying to make a big deal out of it, they just weren’t able to get down there. I don’t have the full story on it, I just know they were actually stuck.”
Auburn pulled away from Arkansas in the second half, holding the Hogs to just 51 total yards and zero points.
Apparently, the elevator system at Jordan-Hare Stadium isn’t “Auburn Fast.”

Nick Marshall happened.

They were just as good on offense in the first half though ... 21-21 at halftime .. unless Marshall is playing linebacker now, it was likely adjustments .. plus the big turnover put Arkansas behind the 8 ball and they couldn't run their normal offense the last 15 minutes. I suppose there could be a leadership aspect to his coming into the game.

I had Arkansas .. brutal to lose by 4 scores in the 2h ... any semblance of competitiveness at least generates knees after giving up 3 scores to 0... couldn't even manage that ... There is some guy betting Auburn every week who thinks he is a genius and not a luckbox.

Also ... Boise State got 399 on Ole Miss. Now that can be deceiving to me because I didn't watch the game but the 399 is a lot more than most teams gave up over the weekend. So if Ole Miss Defense is really good, were there fluke plays, did the yards come late after it was decided or is Boise State's offense decent?

Wiscy is as one dimensional as it gets. Nebraska looks to me to be the only team in the B1G West to be worth a damn, although their schedule is far more difficult than Iowa or Wisconsin. The East winner should handle any team out of the west come conference championship week, and Michigan State may need a victory this week for a shot in the 4 team playoff.

SEC is again overated

No. Way off.

They have the top 3 teams in the country and maybe the top 5.

LSU, Bama, and Georgia would be favored...and beat...any team in the country

All of them except Auburn were breaking in new QBs this week . What did you expect from them?

LSU should have lost last night had wiscy not got hit with some injuries. SEC is by far the best conference but let's not get carried away

LSU should have lost last night had wiscy not got hit with some injuries. SEC is by far the best conference but let's not get carried away

Should have? Losing one half doesn't lose the game
They dominated the second half and completely shutdown the Wisky run game. Even if Gordon was hurt, they had several others capable of running the ball and did nothing.
Did you watch LSU's last TD drive? Wisky D was completely gassed

I know time of possession means virtually nothing when dealing with Oregon, but South Dakota managed to put together some pretty good drives last night. Throw in a more capable offense and a vastly more physical defense, and well... let's just say Sparty looks to be a pretty good bet next weekend.

LSU should have lost last night had wiscy not got hit with some injuries.
Conversely, LSU didn't play 3 of its top 5 DTs. The 4 that played were a true soph (projected starter), a junior with a partially torn bicep who was thought to be out for the season two weeks ago, a true freshman coming off an ACL less than a year ago in HS, and a 250 pound converted DE.

Also ... Boise State got 399 on Ole Miss. Now that can be deceiving to me because I didn't watch the game but the 399 is a lot more than most teams gave up over the weekend. So if Ole Miss Defense is really good, were there fluke plays, did the yards come late after it was decided or is Boise State's offense decent?

Boise was able to pass on Ole Miss fairly easily. They lost because their idiot QB kept throwing ints. Their running game was just okay. Ole Miss kept that under control

I know time of possession means virtually nothing when dealing with Oregon, but South Dakota managed to put together some pretty good drives last night. Throw in a more capable offense and a vastly more physical defense, and well... let's just say Sparty looks to be a pretty good bet next weekend.

You really think Oregon was focused on this game? Couldn't be a better example of a look ahead game .

It was defensive injuries that fucked Wisconsin in the 2h, they were thin and gassed

You really think Oregon was focused on this game? Couldn't be a better example of a look ahead game .
Did you watch the game? This wasn't lack of focus (entirely). This was poor tackling, poor reads, lack of closing speed, etc... Not sure ramping up the 'focus' is going to change those things against a (presumably) superior offensive team in MSU.

Did you watch the game? This wasn't lack of focus (entirely). This was poor tackling, poor reads, lack of closing speed, etc... Not sure ramping up the 'focus' is going to change those things against a (presumably) superior offensive team in MSU.

Get back with me after next week

It was Against FCS New Hampshire, but I think Toledo has reloaded nicely. Also think that perhaps Western Kentucky will be better without Petrino as head coach. Very impressed with their performance this with vs BG.

Does that mean you watched the game?

No. That means that anyone that knows anything about college football would tell you Oregon was going to be in auto pilot for this game. That results in the exact things you mentioned.
Watch them this week and then get back to me

No. Way off.

They have the top 3 teams in the country and maybe the top 5.

LSU, Bama, and Georgia would be favored...and beat...any team in the country

All of them except Auburn were breaking in new QBs this week . What did you expect from them?

Agree on Bama and Georgia, but LSU can not beat/would not be favored vs any team in the country.

They were just as good on offense in the first half though ... 21-21 at halftime .. unless Marshall is playing linebacker now, it was likely adjustments .. plus the big turnover put Arkansas behind the 8 ball and they couldn't run their normal offense the last 15 minutes. I suppose there could be a leadership aspect to his coming into the game.

I had Arkansas .. brutal to lose by 4 scores in the 2h ... any semblance of competitiveness at least generates knees after giving up 3 scores to 0... couldn't even manage that ... There is some guy betting Auburn every week who thinks he is a genius and not a luckbox.

VK, everything changed once Marshall went in, the tempo/speed/flow was just better. Johnson is a helluva qb but Marshall is incredible in that read option...the pitch fakes, burst, and vision of dline are 2nd to none..jmo.

Should have? Losing one half doesn't lose the game
They dominated the second half and completely shutdown the Wisky run game. Even if Gordon was hurt, they had several others capable of running the ball and did nothing.
Did you watch LSU's last TD drive? Wisky D was completely gassed
VK thinks anytime LSU wins it is luck.....been getting pretty lucky for a while now hehe

Conversely, LSU didn't play 3 of its top 5 DTs. The 4 that played were a true soph (projected starter), a junior with a partially torn bicep who was thought to be out for the season two weeks ago, a true freshman coming off an ACL less than a year ago in HS, and a 250 pound converted DE.
starting CB out too, but loaded back there so didn't/wouldn't have mattered

So many teams don't want to tip their hand in week 1 and keep film to a minimum. Obviously if it's a game like Clem/UGA or LSU/Wisky that isn't happening, but Oregon probably ran 4 offensive plays the entire game and stayed in base defense all night. I'll admit I didn't watch that game but Utah did exactly that. Hell, they had their 3rd string QB in the last half of the 4th quarter and on defense they ran their base D all night and I only saw 1 blitz the entire game.

I wouldn't put too much into some of these games, especially with good teams against FCS opponents.

I watched CSU/CU and I think CSU will be over-valued now but my God CU is bad. I'm stalking BSU at home as they played a much tougher team and going up against the MWC this week.

No. That means that anyone that knows anything about college football would tell you Oregon was going to be in auto pilot for this game. That results in the exact things you mentioned.
Watch them this week and then get back to me

How'd that poor tackling look on that 4th and 1 in the 4th qtr?

Back