What have we learned Week 2 NFL....

JumpOnBoard

CTG Partner
More than anything, it's always important to know that the NFL is a week to week league...you can't talk in absolutes with this league...

These are all teams that on the surface people would have said something much different last Monday then they will this morning: Bears, Skins, Cowboys, Falcons, Lions, Rams, Chargers, Seahawks, Chiefs...

INJURIES....dear lord this getting ugly for key, key players..

The start of Week 2 was an ugly one in the NFL for injuries. Many big names were hurt quickly. We'll continue to update our injury roundup throughout the day.1. The Cincinnati Bengals lost arguably their best offensive weapon as wideout A.J. Green suffered a turf toe injury Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said according to a source. He was quickly ruled out for the rest of the 24-10 win over the Falcons.
[TABLE="align: right"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]
The evolution of the NFL:
Take a look at how the NFL has evolved from its humble roots, and the efforts being made to ensure it continues to grow.

<tbody>
</tbody>

[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
2.Robert Griffin III left Washington's game in the first quarter with a dislocated ankle. He was carted off the field with an aircast and immediately ruled out. He will undergo more tests. Kirk Cousins entered the game at quarterback, leading Washington to a 41-10 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars.
3.Moments later, Redskins wideout DeSean Jacksonsuffered an AC joint sprain. He was tended to by trainerson the field and went to the locker room to be checked out. He did not return and is considered day-to-day.
4. Big blow to the Buccaneers as they lost Gerald McCoy for the game to a hand injury. Rapoport reported it could be a fracture. Tampa Bay ended up losing 19-17 to the St. Louis Rams.
5. Dolphins running back Knowshon Moreno left in the first quarter against the Bills after suffering a dislocated elbow, Rapoport reported, citing a source who had spoken to Moreno. He did not return to the team's 29-10 defeat and will undergo tests to see how long he will be out. Lamar Miller took over at running back for Miami before getting hurt late in the fourth quarter.
6. The Chicago Bears beat the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday Night Football with their two best pass catchers; both Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery were active.
7. However, the Bears lost veteran cornerback Charles Tillman, who was ruled out for the remainder of the game after injuring his right triceps in the third quarter. Tillman tore the same triceps in 2013, and his sideline reaction wasn't encouraging. Bears defensive tackle Jeremiah Ratliff was ruled out for the game with a concussion.
8. The 49ers saw a key player of their own sidelined when Vernon Davis was ruled out with an ankle injury in the second half Sunday night.
9. Titans cornerback Jason McCourty suffered a groin injury against the Cowboys and did not return. The Titans dropped to 1-1 after the 26-10 loss.
10. Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles and safety Eric Berry both sprained their ankles against theBroncos and were ruled out for the remainder of the close 24-17 loss.
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]

[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
11. Browns cornerback Justin Gilbert went to the locker room in the third quarter in the game against the Saints. He was being evaluated for a head injury. He was cleared and later returned to what ended up being a surprising 26-24Cleveland victory.
12. Jaguars tight end Marcedes Lewis limped off the field in the third quarter and was out for the remainder of the game with an ankle injury.
13. Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict left the game against theFalcons with a stinger and did not return.
14. Shaun Hill was active for the Rams before Sunday's game against the Buccaneers, but Austin Davis made the start.
15. Roy Helu exited the Redskins' matchup against the Jaguars with a quad strain and did not return. He is day-to-day. Fullback Darrel Young also left the game with an injured back after taking a hard hit on a catch.
16. Redskins starting guard Shawn Lauvao had some knee inflammation and did not return to the game against the Jaguars.
17. Week 1 fantasy surprise Allen Hurns suffered an injury in the closing minutes of a Jaguarsblowout loss to the Redskins. He was carried off the field and didn't return.
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]

<tbody>
</tbody>

[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
18. Giants linebacker Jon Beason suffered a toe injury during the team's 25-14 loss to the Cardinals and left the stadium in a walking boot. He is set to have an MRI on Monday according to NFL Media's Kimberly Jones. The injury appears to be in the same area that he hurt in June.
19. Chargers running back Ryan Mathews was carted off the field in the fourth quarter against the Seahawks with a knee injury. He did not return to the team's upset 30-21 win.
20. Tavon Austin suffered a knee injury and did not return for the Rams against the Buccaneers.
21. Jets wideout Eric Decker left in the fourth quarter with a hamstring injury and sat out the remainder of the game.
22. Bears safety Chris Conte was knocked out of the team's win over the 49ers with a shoulder injury.

My thoughts from games I watched:

- Bengals couldn't have scripted a better start...have no committed a turnover and have not allowed a sack in first two games..2nd team since '60 to do (SD in '06 who went 14-2)...now Cincy isn't going 14-2, but it does give you a great idea the difference between Hue and Jay Gruden...Dalton is just a much better fit in Hue's offense...all their personnel is IMO and Hue fits better with Marvin's philosophy....injuries though, jeepers...Eifert, Burfict last week...Burfict again yesterday along with AJ Green, Whitworth, Zietler, Marvin Jones...just stop already...good news besides Eifert and Zietler to an extent (a few weeks), none are for extended periods of time...that week 4 bye looks like it's gone from a negative to a positive...

- Seahawks....no idea what that gameplan was...I think that's a case of having 10 days to prepare and outthink yourself...6 carries for Marshawn Lynch...not their MO...they'll ride him hard next week

- Packers - they aren't as good as I had them rated preseason and will look for spots against them going forward, not for them personally

- Jets bright future and have an identity..will be a tough out all year if both lines stay healthy...this is Rex's type of team

- Saints - still will be fine...plenty of play on spots coming up esp with 8 of 14 at home

-Browns- also no turnovers through two weeks...will be a tough out as well...just your typical fiesty team, better ATS then real life but that's fine by us

- Boys- if they continue to run the ball they are good at it...lets see if they actually continue to do it and if Murray can stay healthy...never has before

- Broncos- play against in some spots coming up

I agree with basically all of that jump.

Rams, browns, jets are all going to win some games against opponents who take them lightly

And while I do agree that the Saints are probably going to be fine, that defense is bad, most notably their inability to prevent big plays when they need to. Letting hawkins go uncovered is inexcusable, and now that's two games in a row that they allowed an opponent to march down the field with minimal time left.

Patriots offensive line is still a work in progress..... went with more 2 tight end sets for extra protection yesterday...

Great stuff JOB...

That Seahawks boxscore was mystifying for sure...

The Lions are hurting in the secondary after the young kid disclocated his foot...

The Angry Defensive Back Hating God has struck Detroit.
Houston was wiped out first. He was released in June -- just one year after signing the dotted line on a $25 million deal -- due to a vicious toe injury that might have ended his career.
Then there was Ihedigbo, the Lions' biggest free-agent acquisition on defense. The safety suffered neck and knee injuries in the preseason and has yet to play a single snap in a Lions uniform.
Carey hasn't played this year, either, and that hurts. He has the versatility to play nickel -- where the Lions lost Bentley, a starter, for the season due to an ACL tear.
The consolation -- if ever there was such a thing when you've upset the Angry Defensive Back Hating God -- was that a kid was going to get to show his stuff.
There were bound to be ups and downs with Lawson, particularly playing in the high-flying NFC North. But no one could have predicted the ride would last only three quarters.
Or maybe we could have.
The Lions have been gutted in the secondary. The hits just keep coming, and they're starting to feel inevitable.
And we haven't even gotten to the worst part yet.
Green Bay is up next.
You know, the guys who have averaged 23.5 points through two games, even though those games came against the Jets and Seahawks, two of the better defenses in the league.
There's no telling what Aaron Rodgers will do to this patchwork Lions secondary, which already had one practice-squad player active (Nate Ness) against Carolina, and could have another (Mohammed Seisay) against the Packers.

One more Lions note...That kicker has to go...Forty years of having just 2 kickers basically was the only stability this franchise has ever had.

Good ole momentum has never been as prevalent in this young year than the SNF game. Thank you Kaep for me cashing my Bears TT over, lol. That had little chance till he kept getting them chances and eventually the game.

Just like the San Diego game last year in Mile High, KC did the same thing to Denver by keeping them off the field. They should have won that game or at least been into overtime. They left some points out there.

Washington's offense will run smoother under Cousins regardless of the Jaguars making people look better. Cousins filled in well before.

Dolphins had so many self inflicted errors esp on special teams gave up a KO TD and muffed a punt...Tannehill missed quite a few easy touch throws.

Giants are still awful in every phase of the game.

Washington's offense will run smoother under Cousins regardless of the Jaguars making people look better. Cousins filled in well before.

Dolphins had so many self inflicted errors esp on special teams gave up a KO TD and muffed a punt...Tannehill missed quite a few easy touch throws.

Giants are still awful in every phase of the game.

we don't have to bring it up in this thread since there is already a thread about this, but i just dont understand why so many ppl say this. if you look at cousins on a game by game basis, he has done well vs shitty teams and struggled vs good defenses.

agree with you about the giants too...just awful. fade them while the numbers are small.. cant wait to see JJ get pressure on eli thsi weekend. Houstion gonna roll

This is the most talented Skins team since 1999, imo. However, a lot of it depends on the performance of the QB, injuries, and a first year HC.

The spots we cannot afford injuries are OL, DL (already have some), and secondary. There are loads of depth at RB, TE, WR, LB. The defense has looked very good in the first 2 weeks, but face the first true test in Philly next week. The offense has moved the ball at will so far, but unlike vs. Houston; they were able to hold on to the ball in the red zone and get touchdowns.

I said to friends not sure I posted it, kaepernick will regress this season. I think his head is too big right now, he is a cocky arrogant player who will come back to reality.
Sf had one legit 3rd drive the first two games. Others were set up by the defense will short fields.

I said to friends not sure I posted it, kaepernick will regress this season. I think his head is too big right now, he is a cocky arrogant player who will come back to reality.
Sf had one legit 3rd drive the first two games. Others were set up by the defense will short fields.

+1

and agree with all of Jump's comments, particularly re GB and Denver

I learned that Jump seems to like the word 'jeepers'
tumblr_mz28nm0z1Z1sxnltdo1_500.gif

I've learned that the NFL has some really unqualified people announcing games. The worst out of all the major sports in terms of announcing

Not the lead guys, but the secondary ones. Not talking about Simms , while annoying he clearly knows how to communicate and articulate a point. Some of these guys just can't communicate over a headset.

Whoever was doing the announcing with Gumble yesterday was awful.

Kicking myself for not betting KC and San Diego . Both were bad lines and big overreactions to week 1.

It was about 100 degrees out here yesterday ( and today fml). They just wore out that Seahawks defense in the heat. Time of possession was ridiculous

I've learned that the NFL has some really unqualified people announcing games. The worst out of all the major sports in terms of announcing

Not the lead guys, but the secondary ones. Not talking about Simms , while annoying he clearly knows how to communicate and articulate a point. Some of these guys just can't communicate over a headset.

Whoever was doing the announcing wit Gumble yesterday was awful.

Kicking myself for not betting KC and San Diego . Both were bad lines and big overreactions to week 1.

Yup, overlays FTW.

I am in position to win a pick'em contest tonight if I win tiebreaker outta 154 guys and I played ZERO sides yesterday:doh:

And on the announcing side of things, yes it is brutal. I am telling you networks would be better off pulling a RAS(just using as a funny reference) and poaching some guys off sites like these or fan sites that can talk well. Quality of the broadcasts would go way up.

I've pretty much come to expect crappy announcing in secondary games. It's a skill, broadcasting, filling all the dead air. Every game is on TV, college and pro. Not enough on air talent yet. And Howard Cosell's "jockocracy" still holds in 2014.

And while I do agree that the Saints are probably going to be fine, that defense is bad, most notably their inability to prevent big plays when they need to. Letting hawkins go uncovered is inexcusable, and now that's two games in a row that they allowed an opponent to march down the field with minimal time left.

The two teams the Saints played have QB's who dont choke.. In the NFL the game plan changes according to how well the position to position matchups are rated. Teams at this level have the talent to expose the opponent at half time and use other formations and plays that will now be effective in the 2nd half of games. Division games within each division are more competitive because they play each other 2wice a year every year. Teams that win out of conference games are better than most would appreciate. Thats when good caoches show their tools. Poor coaches usually struggle out of their conferences,

The Saint are known for blowing games away and have been a questionable team even with all the talent Brees has.

Back