What have we learned, Week 15

GWarner27

Meatballin' in Celtics Stadium
all NFL coaches are under a microscope and most make really bad decisions that cost their teams games, but Andy Reid today giving away a huge lead was pretty bad. He also had the timeout icing go terribly wrong, which in theory most do, but he waited too long to call it and let Succop get to practice it (and come up way short) so he knew he just had to crush one to even have a shot

While I did say TEN dominated the game in the discussion thread and I believe that, they were behind on the scoreboard throughout and were at fault for most of that (Matthews fumble into the end zone, Mariota fumble). Maybe KC deserves the amount of turnovers they get, but Smith hardly tested a bad TEN secondary after scoring the first two drives and it's inexplicable why he didn't

We learned even more abt the Bears & Matt Barkley. Wonder where Cutler be next year? (Texans, Jax, Jets, Browns, SFran, Rams...whoever loses out on Romo)

Tampa is for real, but will have hard time making playoffs @ N.O. and then Carolina at home as I recall

Titans now the favorite for AFC South with Jags & Texans left..Titans could win a game in playoffs

Texans & O'Brien announced on the field what was obvious abt Brock...a fail. Nice effort in the comeback for Texans, but should be for naught

Raiders and the Red Zone turnovers & Amari "Stonehands" Cooper in driver's seat for West...but it was sloppy. Could have been a Raiders bow-out and score doesn't reflect what could have been. Glad the Colts won in a runaway and think the line will be Raiders -4.5...anything under 6 and I'm on Raiders BIG...they will run all over them imo

Lions also turned ball over inside the Giants 5 yd line early in game...or might have been different story, but Lions have Cowboys in Dallas while GB has the Vikings @ home, have to give edge to Pack before final game agst each other in Detroit

Giants win ugly, ATL can score and have a good combo of run & pass with good kicker and improving D...anxious to see their finish agst Panthers & NO

Oh, bullshit call in AZ on roughing the passer....horrible horrible

The coaching isn't bad it's brutal. Nothing worse than watching these idiots turn wins into a losses.

Imagine how good some of these teams could be if we were calling the plays.

Straight logic, if a team sucks at defending the run - you run, vice versa for the pass.

These dudes continually out-think themselves with bullshit gimmick plays and go back 9 yards to gain half a yard.

At least in the NBA, the talent on the roster decides the majority of the outcomes not fat dudes with clipboards.

Forgot who ssid it on snf but the bucs made so many mistakes and turnovers and still had a chance to beat Dallas on the last drive

Not saying they beat them but I dont think there is s playoff team in thr nfc that eould be afraid of going in to Dallas

Like bones said Raiders was only close cause of red zone mistakes and they had been so good there this yesr, nothing go worry about, that defense the last 2 months is legit too. If Goodell allows aldon back that would be a huge boost if they could rush him, Mack, and Irvin on passing downs.

Suddenly afc wext winner is important because I dont wsnt to go in to tenny, everyone hoping Houston wins that Division

What a train wreck in Minnesota. Somebody should have listened to Norv - he obviously saw the team going in the wrong direction.

Gus Bradley had a horrible tenure in Jack, but not sure I see the point in firing him with 2 games left.

We should all hope Houston wins the division. Free money betting against them in the first round.

I was unimpressed with Tampa. Dallas controlled both lines of scrimmage the entire game, and their secondary allowed an 89% completion day to a QB that had looked awful the last two weeks. Bucs ran for 2.6 yards per carry and Winston completed under 50%.

Cowboys had a lot of self inflicted wounds that kept the game close:

- Came away with nothing on the first drive when they were 2nd and 2 at the Bucs 29. Zeke had 3 for 25 between the tackles up to that point, but Dallas scripted a sweep and their 3rd string TE, a converted WR, gets called for holding. A 6 yard sack and a 6 yard completion lead to a 55 yard FG that comes up short.

- 2nd drive, 2nd and 10 at the Bucs 16, Free gets what I thought was an odd facemask penalty away from the play on a quick screen to Dez. Drive killer.

- Short field drive, TD. Penalty free 66 yard drive, TD.

- End of half, Dak has a hiccup with 1st and 10 at the Buc 30. Takes a bad sack. Then instead of running a draw play or something safe to get back in FG range, tries a risky deep out that leaves them 3rd and long with no timeouts. The quick out to Witten was too safe, gaining just two yards, and unfortunately Bailey misses a 52 yarder. So all first half they moved it at will but left 6-10 points on the table.

- 3rd quarter, Bucs scored on a 3rd and 1 heave from Winston that Carr gets two hands on, but instead of catching or at least knocking it down, it pops straight up and into Humphries hands. Total luck box play. I'm guessing the Bucs would've gone for it on 4th and 1, but we'll never know.

- Cowboys first drive of 3rd Q, moving it again, 13, 3, 5 yard plays. 3rd and 2, instead of a power run that has not been stopped yet, Linehan calls a WTF double reverse that must've looked good in practice but gets botched on the flip to Lucky (Lucky had a terrible game).

- After the Bucs put together their one true quality drive for a TD and the lead. Dallas moves it with purpose again to the Tampa 21. Zeke with 3 carries for 30 yards. Line is dominating again going north-south. AGAIN Linehan decides it's Lucky time. An east-west jet sweep gets blown up for -7. Way behind the sticks, they settle for 3 to tie it.

- Cowboys D from that point on shuts down the Bucs hard. Winston in the 4th quarter: 3 for 12, 2 picks, 19 yards, sacked 3 times.

- After the first pick, Cowboys run a nice wheel route to Dunbar that goes for a TD, but a nullified with a hold on Pro Bowler Tyron Smith. Another FG, four more points left on the table.

- Cowboys turn it over on the next drive thanks to Witten's first fumble in FIVE years. Shit happens.

- Cowboys get backed up to the 4 on next drive, get a big run from Zeke to move in scoring range, on 3rd and 2 try running wide right again (their best sweeps all year half been left behind Smith and Martin) and fall a yard short.

- Last drive, need two first downs to win. Zeke gets 12 behind Smith and Martin. Then 4, then 3. Then they go to a pass formation instead of at least 3 better options (a) Jumbo set and run goalline behind your probowlers, b) read option look c) standard set and quick screen to Dez are the three I like off the top of my head) and the Bucs take away Dak's read so he eats the ball to force Tampa to burn their last timeout.
he

Bottom line - Dallas played about a B- game against a hot playoff contender and came away with the win. Room to improve with some braindead play calling and cleaning up the unforced errors. My biggest complaint with this coaching staff is they don't do what Jimmy and Tuna used to do and what Belichek is willing to do: run a play that's working over and over until its stopped.

Last edited:
I figured the Bengals could be in trouble when they were up 20-12 in the 3rd quarter and on 1st down Red Rifle audibled to a run and at the point of attack on the left side the guard blocks it like a pass and the seas parted and Harrison was left alone to stuff Hill for a four yard loss.

I knew they were in big trouble on the next drive (now 20-15), when again on 1st down Red Rifle audibles to a play action pass, the center run blocks five yards down field and Red Rifle throws it right to where the center has stopped blocking Timmons.

The Bengals never adjusted to the Steelers having just two available DL in the 2nd half with any kind of jumbo power running set. Unfocused players and an unfocused coaching staff.

Thank you BAR. I just had an "I'm old" moment went I told a 30-ish co-worker about how the Dolphins Malachi crunched Petty and he said "What's a Malachi crunch?"

I was unimpressed with Tampa. Dallas controlled both lines of scrimmage the entire game, and their secondary allowed an 89% completion day to a QB that had looked awful the last two weeks. Bucs ran for 2.6 yards per carry and Winston completed under 50%.

Cowboys had a lot of self inflicted wounds that kept the game close:

- Came away with nothing on the first drive when they were 2nd and 2 at the Bucs 29. Zeke had 3 for 25 between the tackles up to that point, but Dallas scripted a sweep and their 3rd string TE, a converted WR, gets called for holding. A 6 yard sack and a 6 yard completion lead to a 55 yard FG that comes up short.

- 2nd drive, 2nd and 10 at the Bucs 16, Free gets what I thought was an odd facemask penalty away from the play on a quick screen to Dez. Drive killer.

- Short field drive, TD. Penalty free 66 yard drive, TD.

- End of half, Dak has a hiccup with 1st and 10 at the Buc 30. Takes a bad sack. Then instead of running a draw play or something safe to get back in FG range, tries a risky deep out that leaves them 3rd and long with no timeouts. The quick out to Witten was too safe, gaining just two yards, and unfortunately Bailey misses a 52 yarder. So all first half they moved it at will but left 6-10 points on the table.

- 3rd quarter, Bucs scored on a 3rd and 1 heave from Winston that Carr gets two hands on, but instead of catching or at least knocking it down, it pops straight up and into Humphries hands. Total luck box play. I'm guessing the Bucs would've gone for it on 4th and 1, but we'll never know.

- Cowboys first drive of 3rd Q, moving it again, 13, 3, 5 yard plays. 3rd and 2, instead of a power run that has not been stopped yet, Linehan calls a WTF double reverse that must've looked good in practice but gets botched on the flip to Lucky (Lucky had a terrible game).

- After the Bucs put together their one true quality drive for a TD and the lead. Dallas moves it with purpose again to the Tampa 21. Zeke with 3 carries for 30 yards. Line is dominating again going north-south. AGAIN Linehan decides it's Lucky time. An east-west jet sweep gets blown up for -7. Way behind the sticks, they settle for 3 to tie it.

- Cowboys D from that point on shuts down the Bucs hard. Winston in the 4th quarter: 3 for 12, 2 picks, 19 yards, sacked 3 times.

- After the first pick, Cowboys run a nice wheel route to Dunbar that goes for a TD, but a nullified with a hold on Pro Bowler Tyron Smith. Another FG, four more points left on the table.

- Cowboys turn it over on the next drive thanks to Witten's first fumble in FIVE years. Shit happens.

- Cowboys get backed up to the 4 on next drive, get a big run from Zeke to move in scoring range, on 3rd and 2 try running wide right again (their best sweeps all year half been left behind Smith and Martin) and fall a yard short.

- Last drive, need two first downs to win. Zeke gets 12 behind Smith and Martin. Then 4, then 3. Then they go to a pass formation instead of at least 3 better options (a) Jumbo set and run goalline behind your probowlers, b) read option look c) standard set and quick screen to Dez are the three I like off the top of my head) and the Bucs take away Dak's read so he eats the ball to force Tampa to burn their last timeout.
he

Bottom line - Dallas played about a B- game against a hot playoff contender and came away with the win. Room to improve with some braindead play calling and cleaning up the unforced errors. My biggest complaint with this coaching staff is they don't do what Jimmy and Tuna used to do and what Belichek is willing to do: run a play that's working over and over until its stopped.

Two plays that should never get past the high school level---jet sweep and wide receiver screen.

Andy Reid still dumb fat fuck. Tries to ice the kicker and instead gives him a practice kick. Never seen someone so great and yet so frustrating. Eagles fans can feel me.

Scrap the AFC playoffs and play Steez at Pats for the trip to Houston.

The ice the kicker is so dumb. I will never get it. One coach did it, it worked and now every fucking coach does it.

I would need someone to find the game clips. I was watching Comcast philly post game last night and couldn't believe what I saw. The play of their safety (McLeod) was embarrassing. He did not want to come up and tackle, he looked like a kid playing JV football and it being his first game.

Still feel like KC could beat anyone in the league. But....

Andy Reid is one of the worst good coaches ever. I love him. I hate him. He's great. He sucks.

Alex Smith did not throw the ball well in the cold yesterday. But I refuse to blame him. I mentioned it in a thread a few weeks back, Reid will not keep his foot on the gas. The plan is: 1. Get a lead. 2. Don't blow the lead.

The playcalling in any second half in which the Chiefs have a lead is abysmal. It has happened since Reid got here. Tyreek Hill had one touch yesterday. One. And he went 68 yards for a TD.

I know it's easy to buy into the Titans right now. But the Chiefs handed that game to them. And they still almost didn't want it.

I'm gonna go dream of Spencer Ware running for 2 yards over and over again, I'll see you guys soon.

PS.... Let's pump the brakes America on the NE D. They just beat the 25th and 26th best offenses. And now have the Jets.

Blowing a lot of good money to go out to KC for the Xmas night game to watch a 9-6 game most likely.

Balt matches up well with Pitt and if they win this week, they will take division. Pit -5' seems high and I expect closer to 4 by gametime.

Jags will get a new coach and it wont help...for awhile anyways. Bortles blows and several high picks have been blown in recent years

pats d very impressive but maybe overblown with donks o not that great....afc -2.5 to win bowl looks pretty good right now

I like SB prop too
12/19/2016 8:30 PM NFL Props Football 24951 AFC Superbowl Team* -2 -110 vs NFC Superbowl Team

I think Pats would be at least 4 over boys

Still can't believe that Lions lose Calvin Johnson and may end up winning the division

addition by subtraction?

What a train wreck in Minnesota. Somebody should have listened to Norv - he obviously saw the team going in the wrong direction.

Gus Bradley had a horrible tenure in Jack, but not sure I see the point in firing him with 2 games left.

We should all hope Houston wins the division. Free money betting against them in the first round.

free money sure, but unfortunately the lines are so big in those games that it's never worth it for me

I figured the Bengals could be in trouble when they were up 20-12 in the 3rd quarter and on 1st down Red Rifle audibled to a run and at the point of attack on the left side the guard blocks it like a pass and the seas parted and Harrison was left alone to stuff Hill for a four yard loss.

I knew they were in big trouble on the next drive (now 20-15), when again on 1st down Red Rifle audibles to a play action pass, the center run blocks five yards down field and Red Rifle throws it right to where the center has stopped blocking Timmons.

The Bengals never adjusted to the Steelers having just two available DL in the 2nd half with any kind of jumbo power running set. Unfocused players and an unfocused coaching staff.

this worries me about my interest in CIN Saturday night. If their players don't focus on playcalls why in the hell would AJ Green return for a lost season? Regardless they have the far better QB so I still may play it, but this is concerning

Balt matches up well with Pitt and if they win this week, they will take division. Pit -5' seems high and I expect closer to 4 by gametime.

the PIT offense is so much better, but BAL does seem to have their number and if the number climbs from the current 5 i don't think i can avoid it

also agree that it's borderline criminal how DAL abandons the run and it's not even a few times a game. They constantly do it

And TEN had some self-inflicted wounds in KC, but dominated that game and deserved the win no matter if Reid gave it to them on a silver platter or not (also the Smith pick in the end zone would be runner-up)

Main ingredient to be a playoff team. Have a good OL
the NFL is slowly reverting back to have a running gm, play defense and kick fgs to win

yep, seems like every defense can at least quiet a run game at this point unless you have a dominant OL and to me DAL and TEN have that

Pitt's offense takes a big hit if Green can't get out of concussion protocol. Ravens have shown they can contain Brown and Bell when there isn't a viable third threat.

Steelers D line also figures to be weaker than the last meeting, with Heyward on IR and Tuitt now with a sprained MCL.

Jimmy Smith's status for the Ravens is the other big injury to watch.

how much of a threat is Green really? Has hardly played and even with the production he's had, is BAL worried about him more than the quicker WRs?

Agree Smith is a huge development

Wouldn't touch Cincy with a 10 foot pole. Last week was their Super Bowl and they pissed it away with their usual BS on defense. Houston w/ Savage actually has some positive momentum rolling. Though I dont think the game really matters to them they will go balls out and always have a packed house.

I learned the bills really want to win for Rex. I know it was the browns, but the team played well. Not a lame duck scenario at all. I fully expect a solid win/cover vs Miami. If ajayi rips them again Rex is 100% gone, but I think it's a max effort from the defense. More likely that shady goes off again

I learned the bills really want to win for Rex. I know it was the browns, but the team played well. Not a lame duck scenario at all. I fully expect a solid win/cover vs Miami. If ajayi rips them again Rex is 100% gone, but I think it's a max effort from the defense. More likely that shady goes off again

Shady has been great, but wanting to win doesn't cover that spread as a FG victory isn't enough

Have had lots of success the past few years just teasing the underdog in the Baltimore/Pittsburgh game. No matter the records, injuries, etc. these games are typically close.

Have had lots of success the past few years just teasing the underdog in the Baltimore/Pittsburgh game. No matter the records, injuries, etc. these games are typically close.

I'll be adding Balti to a sweetheart teaser. Although I'm still not sold on them Pitt hasn't been explosive enough to cover 18 points. These teasers have been doing very well in the latter parts of the season. NYJ will be a part of it also, +30? Yes please.

Back