What have we learned after Week 4 of the NFL?

I'll do my Detroit version. I watched no other early games other than gamebreaks as I had them and Tigers on dueling TV's...

It was an odd game of sorts. The Jets absolutely punched them in the nose the first drive with Ivory looking great and gaining 53 or so yards but they stalled in the redzone(shocker). Detroit rallied the next drive to tie it at three. After that the game was all defense for a little bit until the last 6 minutes of the half when Staff hit a bomb and then we had a nice lil drive at the end of half.

The biggest drive of the game though was after the Jets 3rd quarter TD. The Lions started at the 10 and had 3rd and ten when Tate made a huge catch and conversion. Other bright spots in this drive were a few Ebron plays, a huge Broyles catch(still has the quickness it seems) and the overall great play from Tate. This was such a great 'answer' drive.

The end of the game was just another game like GB where we killed the clock. You just have never really seen that from a Lions team in my lifetime(Barry era included).

The offense, with as many weapons in the NFL is still a work-in-progress. This is a totally different system for them. With Megatrons injury that presents challenges as well. The biggest thing lacking so far is the running game but it seems to get going by the 4th quarter. For the most part other than an ill-advised pass in 2h in Charlotte Staff is making much better decisions.

The defense, my goodness, despite injuries they have been solid.

The FG kicker spot is scary, like really scary.

Time to take care of business with a solid Bills team next week.

The Bears are really bad on defense and the Packers are still really good on offense.

The NFC north will be the survival of the fittest. GBs defense has issues, but so does Chicagos and Minnesota. Detroit still hasn't played anyone sans GB, so it will be interesting to see how they fair once the division gets started.

I think Indy will continue to beat up on the bad teams off the league.

Oakland is just horrendous, they will be lucky to find a win on the schedule.

SD played poorly in the first half and still found a way to win by 20.

This San Fran team confuses me. They some how found a way to win yesterday.

I think we now know that Mike Glennon should be the QB rather than McCown.

Are the Cowboys really 3-1? Are the Saints really 1-3? Are they mirror images of each other?

Carolina is not a good team. If you can stretch the field and have a balanced attack, you can exploit that secondary.

Atlanta is just not a good road team. You can run all over them. The YAC and yardage allowed by the D yesterday was embarrassing.

Minnesota looked good yesterday. Patterson didnt get any run. Teddy looked great, but once teams figure out Teddy's dinking and dunking I think he may have some issues.

Learned Teddy Bridgewater is the real deal. Hopefully he isn't hurt too bad as they play thursday.

Wasn't learned, but more confirmed that the Saints will have trouble with any team that can run the ball..NOLA looked terrible on the run d..

Kapernick still can't count to 25 or 45 and his maturity is still in question...game sense is there most of the time, but why burn a TO when you're going to be punting and you're trying to draw the teams offside? believe the ball was on the Eagles 45 at the time, take the delay of game give your punter a little more room and try to pin..oh and there's little pass protection for Kap as well right now, was sacked 4-5 times last night

What is everyone's thoughts on the Ravens, for a team who has lost some pieces, they continue to find ways to win. Not a Ravens fan, but they are going about their business quietly behind the squabbles of Rice.

BAR, your worries about your kicker are well founded. Just wait and see how much fans will hate him. Eagles suffered through 3 years of that clown. its never a good feeling when youre team is lining up for a 35 yarder to not be able to be confident he will make it.. Hes garbage

Learned Teddy Bridgewater is the real deal. Hopefully he isn't hurt too bad as they play thursday.

A lot of people rushing to judgment after one good game out of this kid. Agree with Marlo, Teddy is a short ball passer and when teams adjust he's going to struggle.

I learned:

Refereeing in the NFL is approaching the NBA in terms of global incompetence. If you didn't see the GB Chi game you missed the Harlem Globetrotter crew of officials monumentally screw up a perfectly good game

Colin Kaepernick is a mental midget. It's hard to look as bad as he did in a winning effort. He simply does not have the smarts to be a top tier NFL QB.

The Eagles are what I though they were; a team with a good deal of talent who relied on their OL last year to win them games. With 3/5 of that OL out yesterday, we saw weaknesses get exposed. If you didn't watch the game don't judge their performance by the final score, take a peak at the box score. Very telling.

Steve Smith had an all time great Eff You game yesterday vs. the Panthers, who are still a mediocre team (and would flat out suck if not for Luke Kuechly and their defense).

JJ Watt is the best player in the NFL.

The DallasCowgirls are the biggest tease in the NFL year in and year out. Looking forward to fading them next week.

let me do a few quick hits as well:

- once again, broken record, but its a week by week league. you can't read too much into one performance, or you will get burned. TB was my favorite play of the year so far, and I will continue to look to bet on teams that look terrible when i know they arent nearly as bad as they looked, because people overreact and that affects the lines

- Minny may be turning a corner, and if nothing else they are no longer fade material. Love that they got McKinnon involved. These guys: McKinnon, Bridgewater, Wright, Patterson, are all insanely fast and athletic. they may have something brewing there

-NFC East is probably going to be an Eagles/Dallas race. Im scared of this Cowboys team, they seem to have a level of competency that I have not seen from any of the Romo led teams. They are milking their cow in Murray and its working

-Eagles are a pretty bad 3-1. Foles has not played well, but he threw a great td pass to Cooper that was dropped. Eagles should have won the game on that play alone, but other than that they played like garbage. This defense is bad bad bad. Habving said that, CK is pretty bad and incredibly stupid. SF won't go far.

-I think the Packers ship will be righted, while the Saints are in trouble

-EJ Manuel blows and is really killing the Bills. That team has 2 good rbs, a good d, and developing watkins at WR, but manuel is giong to crush their chances. If I'm the bills, I go to Orton

- Titans suck. Andrew Luck is good. This was my worst call of the week. Thought the Tits could hang.

- Carolina is terrible and weeks 1 adn 2 were flukes. This team just doesnt have enough talent around $cam, has no run game, and no defense.

- Liions are a very quite 3-1, but winning in NY with no CJ is pretty damn impressive. You still have to beware of the Stafford road disasters that that he is prone to

- Buccs were never as bad as they were in the first 3 weeks, but any shot of being a surprise playoff team was crushed by Lovie's loyalty to McCown. Glennon should have been the guy from the start

- Jags looked better on offense, but that defense is unreal bad. QBs can just throw all day on them. Continue to bet qb props against them and fade them at any reasonable number

Galt, ina very odd twist, we agree on many many things! Crazy! However, I am a little more scared than you that Dallas is for real. I hope you are right.

good morning BAR SF is real lucky that phil coach chip can't coach. SF did out play phil but this team had a great chance to win this game late but at the 2 yard line 3 down and you don't run the ball 2 times you should be shot. if you can't get 2 yards on 2 trys by running the ball your a loser just unreal bad coaching my god. years back a coach would never ever ever throw the ball at the 2 yard line like I have been saying when capping games you better find out who is coaching your team before you make a bet bad coach your team is not winning games its real easy bol this week great job my man:shake:

good morning BAR SF is real lucky that phil coach chip can't coach. SF did out play phil but this team had a great chance to win this game late but at the 2 yard line 3 down and you don't run the ball 2 times you should be shot. if you can't get 2 yards on 2 trys by running the ball your a loser just unreal bad coaching my god. years back a coach would never ever ever throw the ball at the 2 yard line like I have been saying when capping games you better find out who is coaching your team before you make a bet bad coach your team is not winning games its real easy bol this week great job my man:shake:
Agree coaching = huge, but they ran the ball once with Shady to see if he could break it and he got 5 yards on it

[TABLE="class: mod-data mod-pbp, width: 100%"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">[TR="class: even"]
[TD="width: 135px"]1st and 6 at SF 6[/TD]
[TD](2:50) (No Huddle, Shotgun) N.Foles pass incomplete short right to J.Maclin.[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: odd"]
[TD="width: 135px"]2nd and 6 at SF 6[/TD]
[TD](2:43) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy left tackle to SF 1 for 5 yards (A.Bethea).[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even"]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]Two-Minute Warning[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: odd"]
[TD="width: 135px"]3rd and 1 at SF 1[/TD]
[TD](2:00) (Shotgun) N.Foles pass incomplete short left to B.Celek.[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even"]
[TD="width: 135px"]4th and 1 at SF 1[/TD]
[TD](1:55) (Shotgun) N.Foles pass incomplete short right to J.Maclin [A.Lynch].[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

yup, he got 5. so give it to him 2 more times and trust he can get 1 more. awful coaching. as "innovative" as chip is with some of this things, his play calling has been downright atrocious all season.

yup, he got 5. so give it to him 2 more times and trust he can get 1 more. awful coaching. as "innovative" as chip is with some of this things, his play calling has been downright atrocious all season.
yep, all you gotta do is make Foles throw on the run...he's pretty damn slow lol

Lions w the big road win, only thing is they did not/could not put the game away and let the Jets stay in it. If they played a team thats more competent, they may have had a diff outcome. Regardless, I like that team and a big win, w/out CJ.

I think the NFC east is completely up in the air. Not sure the Cowboys are that legit, they have lost to SF, beat two door mats and the Saints who have some real issues right now. Demarco is a beast, but I still think that D is in trouble. I think Eli can pick them apart, actually. Not sure how serious Carters injury was, that would be another big blow.

Falcons and Saints still suck on the road, and are practically a no play in that scenario

What is everyone's thoughts on the Ravens, for a team who has lost some pieces, they continue to find ways to win. Not a Ravens fan, but they are going about their business quietly behind the squabbles of Rice.

im buying them tentatively. Steve Smith has been a great signing. they have been throwing these nobody RB's out there as a committee but they are getting the job done. they almost beat cincy in cincy and everyones all on cincys nuts now.

I've also learned that Rex Ryan is a joke. Guy really needs to be a d coordinator and not a head coach. Don't understand his reluctance to ever bench his shitty qbs when it is clear they are not the answer

Amazingly, that was Jacksonvilles best defensive showing scoring wise. 33 points is their lowest total allowed. Crazy.

EJ is terrible, but not sure of any other option for that team.

Kap and Harbaugh are not very smart people. That shows itself repeatedly. Not sure how I cashed that -4 ticket yesterday.

As long as the Cowboys remember about DM, they will have success on O.

My titans are terrible again. And Whitehurst is not the answer.

Falcons on OTR is auto-fade.

Kap and Harbaugh are not very smart people. That shows itself repeatedly. Not sure how I cashed that -4 ticket yesterday.

Kap is the moron, Harbaugh is the smart one..maybe too smart for his own good.

You shut down the run game and force Romo to throw, they will have issues IMO

im buying them tentatively. Steve Smith has been a great signing. they have been throwing these nobody RB's out there as a committee but they are getting the job done. they almost beat cincy in cincy and everyones all on cincys nuts now.

gotta give credit to Kubiak too with what he's doing with that O... it's starting to click

that game was in Baltimore.

few things, agree mostly but while Orton is not going to be a savior, they did give him a LOT of money so he can step in. word was that in camp and preseason the offensive players were all going to the coaching staff saying "we cant play with this guy, we get open, he cant hit us" and it got to the point that the bills had to go out and get orton out of retirement. but now is the time you use him. you are 2-2 and still have a shot at the playoffs if you can get hot, manuel is not the answer. go orton the rest of the year, then you draft a guyt o compete with orton next year.

and i dont think anybdoy on the planet expects whitehurst to be the answer. dude has made millions of dollars as an nfl backup for literally doing nothing ever haha. i was mad the titans didnt give mettenberger the start. that was my one loss of the day too, i learned my lesson. never again with these guys without locker. probably not with locker, but def not without lol

and i dont think anybdoy on the planet expects whitehurst to be the answer. dude has made millions of dollars as an nfl backup for literally doing nothing ever haha. i was mad the titans didnt give mettenberger the start. that was my one loss of the day too, i learned my lesson. never again with these guys without locker. probably not with locker, but def not without lol

Youre gonna have to get real creative to hedge that 70-1 bet at this rate.

Btw, 85-1 is still on the table waiting for you when you're ready to get you some REALLY great value :shake:

Woww like you said coach chip coaching has been real bad just awful . I think he still thinks coaching is the same at college like it is in Pro

Atlanta version

I'm starting to think this is an 8-8 or 7-9 team who goes 7-0 at home and 0-8 on the road. The game in London will be the coin toss game. The scary thing is 8-8 may very well win this division. Local talking heads are asking if the Falcons should trade Roddy for 2 solid defensive players. I'm not a GM by any means but with the way Hester is playing I think its something to consider. I wish they could trade him for road games only as they can outscore anyone in the dome and really don't need much defense there. They are unable to stop the run or get a pass rush and that's just downright dangerous in this league. I'll be looking to fade Teddy B in the next few weeks as hopefully there is an overreaction to this performance. Falcons gonna have to roll with a patchwork OL and I'll be dumbfounded if they don't sign Incognito this week. If they sign him, I'll be getting a jersey immediately.

Sd played lethargic first half..

If Sd were more focused they may of scored 47

Steelers tt will be under 27 / 27.5

Total is 46

Steelers Tt over will be hard to pass up..

Atlanta version

I'm starting to think this is an 8-8 or 7-9 team who goes 7-0 at home and 0-8 on the road. The game in London will be the coin toss game. The scary thing is 8-8 may very well win this division. Local talking heads are asking if the Falcons should trade Roddy for 2 solid defensive players. I'm not a GM by any means but with the way Hester is playing I think its something to consider. I wish they could trade him for road games only as they can outscore anyone in the dome and really don't need much defense there. They are unable to stop the run or get a pass rush and that's just downright dangerous in this league. I'll be looking to fade Teddy B in the next few weeks as hopefully there is an overreaction to this performance. Falcons gonna have to roll with a patchwork OL and I'll be dumbfounded if they don't sign Incognito this week. If they sign him, I'll be getting a jersey immediately.

Agree with everything you said, except the fade Teddy portion. I think what he did yesterday he has potential. Let's keep in mind he did it, without AP, and any rookies favorite target a Probowl TE named Kyle Rudolph. The threat of him throwing and escapability will improve the run game and until more tape is seen, will have D coordinators scratching their heads. Especially this GB defense who has proven time and time again is not good.

regarding eagles/niners

i would like to know whens the last time a team got 21 points from special teams / defense and went to lose the game.

regarding eagles/niners

i would like to know whens the last time a team got 21 points from special teams / defense and went to lose the game.

Only time I can think of a team getting 21 special teams points is..... "WE ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE" However that resulted in a Bears win, and a great flip out by Denny Green.

SF defense is pretty good, when they can get pressure. Offense has a lot of room to improve. Their special teams is normally not that bad. The blocked punt was caused by having to punt out of the back of the endzone. And, they're not the first team to give up a punt return to Sproles. I was surprised that they covered.

The teams that will give them trouble is teams with a solid offensive line and a halfway decent defense. It helped that Anthony Davis and Vernon Davis started the game. But, both got reinjured. The line played better with them in the lineup and Vernon is really the only threat they have to stretch the field. Their record is not very good, without Vernon playing.

Their defense should play better when Brock comes back. He is their best corner. I thought Philly would exploit their young corners. But, the pressure on Foles made them look better than they are. I do think they will continue to get better as the season goes on.

Buffalo should've won, yesterday. The couldn't keep Houston out of Manuel's face. I just don't think Orton is the answer. He might look good here and there. But, he's not consistently good. I don't know how Spiller didn't have a big game, play-calling? I guess that's why they tried to throw the short pass, but JJ made them pay for that.

Bortles looked pretty good, for a first start. Someone else mentioned staring down his target, but he will learn to look the defense away. I think the Jax defense gives up so much because the offense can't hold on to the ball.

I've also learned that Rex Ryan is a joke. Guy really needs to be a d coordinator and not a head coach. Don't understand his reluctance to ever bench his shitty qbs when it is clear they are not the answer

+1 and I will fade the jets til they make the move to Vick

I watched not even a second so this will be a tough task to make adjusted lines from the ones I did Tuesday of last week based on recaps and box scores alone.

My theory is that there are a ton of bad teams and few good ones

Back