What have we learned after 7 weeks of college football?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
OU is an underwhelming team. Knight doesn't do anything to scare you, Perine is a nice back, that's it, and they have one real weapon offensively thaet can hurt yout (Sterling Sheppard). Defensively, well, Swoopes threw for 300+ on them. He was poised and (sans one throw) made good reads, but Swoopes shouldn't throw for that on anyone.

Walked out of the Cotton Bowl disappointed, as we gave OU the game. But I love what Strong is doing w/ the team. Down 31-13, a Mack Brown team would have folded up the tent and headed for the bus. Exact opposite happened yesterday, and we have a damn good defense, this much I know for sure.

Ya stoops has now gotten outcoached 2 games in a row. If I'm a Texas fan I'm pretty happy bc Strong showed some things. And it's obvious their defense is for real. If Swoopes keeps playing like he did yesterday, then Texas will "upset" some people this year.

A lot of Interesting Box Scores this weekend:
texas outgaining OU by 200+ yds and losing. Not to mention outgaining OU by 200yds at half and still being down.

ULM only getting outgained by 80yds but losing by 38pts

baylor outgaining TCU at the half 400-200yds and being down. Finishing off outgaining them 800-500yds.

N'Western outgaining Minny 400-275yds and losing.

Also: some amazing 4th qtr comebacks all over the place yesterday. Baylor, WVU, Zona in a losing effort, nevada in a losing effort

Without doubt.

Also an interesting game this week with Okie St traveling to TCU. Be interesting to see how much they make the line.....TCU value could be long gone now, and this spot for TCU is miserable

I think Michigan St is a little in the same boat as OU.

As much as I hate to say this, Minnesota has a punchers chance at 10 wins this year. 2 more very winnable games coming up, with very little offense. They're not going to blow teams out, but are certainly capable of winning.

Don't ever trust a coach named Dabo, name more fit for a clown.......

lol great insight. You sound like a guy that's bitter because he didn't hit a play this weekend.

As for me I cannot get a read on the SEC West. I was convinced Ole Miss would be hungover after that huge home win, but A&M is fools gold at this point and the Rebels are legit until proven otherwise.

I think Arkansas is better than their record. Two close losses to A&M and Bama, both games they very well could have won.

I think Washington's impressive run comes to a crashing end this weekend. Peterson can coach though, and will likely continue having the Huskies playing better than they are on paper.

lol great insight. You sound like a guy that's bitter because he didn't hit a play this weekend.

The play that turned the game around for Clemson was a 1H punt that UL fumbled, allowing Clemson to flip the field, run a few more plays, and get the D a little more rest before punting again at a time when Clemson was trailing 10-7 and had had one first down on 6 possessions. UL's next possession ended in a sack, fumble, and Clemson TD.

In the 2H Dabo decided not to punt and turned the game around for UL. His defense was playing lights out, yet he decided to go for it on fourth-and-inches on his own forty. And he ran the play out of the shotgun and, once again, came up short. Moreover, we later learned that Clemson's playbook includes a QB sneak from under center, as that was the last play Clemson ran (from its own one-yard line). At least he didn't take a safety.

That decision not to punt probably cost Clemson the cover and looked like it would cost Clemson the win. I think this is what Tim was talking about.

Every team Oklahoma plays is going to stack the box and make the QB beat them and not even the OU coaches think he can do it. Knight won the job because he was a great runner and adequate passer, but they won't let him run because there is no one behind him.

You will go insane trying to find consistent form in the Pac 12.

Arkansas is a solid, physical team, is consistent and can slug it out with anyone. You can win money on the Hogs.

Bo Wallace may look like he is changed and can now be consistent, but I'm still skeptical. Excellent defense on Ole Miss.

Mississippi State has the hardest hitting defense I've seen. They knock the fight out of offensive players.

Dabo Swinney definitely embarrassed himself in that game.. 4th and inches and he goes for it... which was debatable.. but then runs it up the middle from the shotgun. Then late in the game from inside the one yard line when Louisville knows Clemson is going to run it.. they get in the shotgun and run it up the middle and lose 5 yards.. settled for a FG.. it very nearly cost them the game.

dabo alone lost that cover. getting real old to see 4th and inches and watch the qb line up 5 yards behind the center. just don't get it unless you're doing a draw or a screen, and that shit didn't happen.

Not Dabo's fault at the end of the first half but that was another debacle. The decision to go for it was about as bad as it gets. This wasn't ncsu or unc on the other side of the ball on defense... it was the #1 rated defense in cfb, who could also not get a first down against the Clemson defense. Good luck going the length of the field. Dmoney actually said it best, Dabo is one of the worst game day coaches out there. I mean, you can't actually complain about his recruiting and his teams actually seem decently prepared and emotionally/mentally ready most weeks .. but damn that guy is a buffoon for the three and a half hours it takes to play a football game.

Imagine how easily they cover with Watson in the game, since they likely should have covered anyway.

No lead is safe anymore ... three TD lead with what 8 or 9 minutes to go for tcu? didn't even go to overtime and Baylor took about a minute and a half two times to go 90 yards on two separate drives. TCU with an ok defense ... just the shitty product of modern football. Same with WVU against Tech ... Oregon vs ucla .. if you like that kind of football you have a vagina

Grats to Hoke and Michigan. The traditionalist in me really enjoyed seeing them win, not to mention I held a ticket. Sort of ironic the way they can't have two units at the same time ... For a few seasons there they had a good offense but the defense couldn't stop anyone and now they have a good defense but the fans feel like storming the field if they get a first down. Anyway, glad to see them win as a fan of the sport. Has to be soul drenching to get your dream job like Hoke did and have it sour without ever really getting a season of glory.

Clemson might be pretty good.

I saw four unpenalized tackles yesterday. It was neato.

I think it is safe to say that maybe our preseason read on TAMU was right. We knew they would be down this year after graduating that much nfl talent. Then they kicked the shit out of a poorly coached South Carolina team who we now know is dogpoop and we thought they were a juggernaut. The real slim shady has stood up now.

Michigan State defense has taken two steps backwards. Knew they were not the same defense as last year but they can be had this year on that side of the ball. How Cook can make the same dumb mistake he made the previous week with a ridiculous interception late is beyond me.

Minny was thoroughly outplayed fwiw. Kickoff return for a TD in the 2h got them the win.

Recommend non-Indiana bigten football. Best product out there right now.

MAC is the worst it has been since ... ever? wmich now 765840-0 against the opener this year.

Totally blame Stoudt for the guffaw...at the end of the first half. He is a senior and knows they don't have any time outs so he has to avoid the sack, throw it away if pressured and if he runs it make sure he is going to score. That lack of awareness after knowing the clock was running down on an extended play cost them a chip shot three there (unless Nugent is attempting it...another story). The other mistakes by Dabo are just incredibly bad and the formation at the goal line in an obvious run situation when you have to score a TD is just laughable. He really is a total bafoon game day coach.

Its one thing to line up in shotgun on 4th an inches, but get to the line quick. They ran that delay fake handoff, QB sneak type crap.

Agree that Stoudt was to blame for the first half ridiculousness.. but one more thing on Swinney.. how on earth did Stoudt get the nod at quarterback to start the year over Watson?! I don't care what year those guys are.. Watson is the far better player, and it's obvious to everyone (or I would assume everyone) that watches them

Agree that Stoudt was to blame for the first half ridiculousness.. but one more thing on Swinney.. how on earth did Stoudt get the nod at quarterback to start the year over Watson?! I don't care what year those guys are.. Watson is the far better player, and it's obvious to everyone (or I would assume everyone) that watches them

Because Stoudt was significantly better all through Spring and fall camp. And Dabo/Morris went with the senior 5th year QB to start. It's nice to have the element of hindsight, but it's incredibly rare for a true freshman QB (remember Winston and Johnny football were both redshirt freshman, not true ones) to look that good that fast. I'm a diehard Clemson fan and follow the team religiously and I would've started Cole as well to start the season.

It's hard to believe he was better in the Spring and fall camp because Watson is 3x better now, but I guess that's at least possible. There is no explanation at all though for the going for it on 4th down and running up the middle from the gun on a delayed handoff then doing the same inside the one late in the game. I don't dislike Swinney, but his in-game coaching is certainly way behind many coaches in the country

Because Stoudt was significantly better all through Spring and fall camp. And Dabo/Morris went with the senior 5th year QB to start. It's nice to have the element of hindsight, but it's incredibly rare for a true freshman QB (remember Winston and Johnny football were both redshirt freshman, not true ones) to look that good that fast. I'm a diehard Clemson fan and follow the team religiously and I would've started Cole as well to start the season.

Losing on NW +4 was a tough loss for me last weekend.. they dominated that game and are the better team in my opinion. Totally agree on Texas too.. they are playing hard.

Ya stoops has now gotten outcoached 2 games in a row. If I'm a Texas fan I'm pretty happy bc Strong showed some things. And it's obvious their defense is for real. If Swoopes keeps playing like he did yesterday, then Texas will "upset" some people this year.

A lot of Interesting Box Scores this weekend:
texas outgaining OU by 200+ yds and losing. Not to mention outgaining OU by 200yds at half and still being down.

ULM only getting outgained by 80yds but losing by 38pts

baylor outgaining TCU at the half 400-200yds and being down. Finishing off outgaining them 800-500yds.

N'Western outgaining Minny 400-275yds and losing.

Also: some amazing 4th qtr comebacks all over the place yesterday. Baylor, WVU, Zona in a losing effort, nevada in a losing effort

OU is an underwhelming team. Knight doesn't do anything to scare you, Perine is a nice back, that's it, and they have one real weapon offensively thaet can hurt yout (Sterling Sheppard). Defensively, well, Swoopes threw for 300+ on them. He was poised and (sans one throw) made good reads, but Swoopes shouldn't throw for that on anyone.

Walked out of the Cotton Bowl disappointed, as we gave OU the game. But I love what Strong is doing w/ the team. Down 31-13, a Mack Brown team would have folded up the tent and headed for the bus. Exact opposite happened yesterday, and we have a damn good defense, this much I know for sure.

i was sad we didn't win, but when i left i was reasonably content that we handed them 14 points with the pick-6 and KR TD yet had a chance to win if we got a miracle late

i was sad we didn't win, but when i left i was reasonably content that we handed them 14 points with the pick-6 and KR TD yet had a chance to win if we got a miracle late

Yeah, been to many OU games in the Cotton Bowl and I don't recall our crowd being any better. They were fantastic, and to see the way they cheered for the team post-game just told me that people get what Strong is doing, and where the program is headed.

The play that turned the game around for Clemson was a 1H punt that UL fumbled, allowing Clemson to flip the field, run a few more plays, and get the D a little more rest before punting again at a time when Clemson was trailing 10-7 and had had one first down on 6 possessions. UL's next possession ended in a sack, fumble, and Clemson TD.

In the 2H Dabo decided not to punt and turned the game around for UL. His defense was playing lights out, yet he decided to go for it on fourth-and-inches on his own forty. And he ran the play out of the shotgun and, once again, came up short. Moreover, we later learned that Clemson's playbook includes a QB sneak from under center, as that was the last play Clemson ran (from its own one-yard line). At least he didn't take a safety.

That decision not to punt probably cost Clemson the cover and looked like it would cost Clemson the win. I think this is what Tim was talking about.

Coaches like Sweeney are too stupid to realize that you never fake a punt with a lead unless you know deep down that you're offense really cant keep up. When you have the lead, a better defense going up against an offense struggling to get a first down, you NEVER take a chance that could backfire and give the opponent that you are smothering some life and that is what the stupid decision to not punt did for Louisville.

Yeah, been to many OU games in the Cotton Bowl and I don't recall our crowd being any better. They were fantastic, and to see the way they cheered for the team post-game just told me that people get what Strong is doing, and where the program is headed.

not sure i noticed that, and we're always outnumbered at the Cotton Bowl, but that's a nice thing to hear. Our crowd sucks

Coaches like Sweeney are too stupid to realize that you never fake a punt with a lead unless you know deep down that you're offense really cant keep up. When you have the lead, a better defense going up against an offense struggling to get a first down, you NEVER take a chance that could backfire and give the opponent that you are smothering some life and that is what the stupid decision to not punt did for Louisville.

Art Briles two weeks ago in Austin disagreed

Some of the Watson thing was his availability in the offseason ...I mean he was out for spring game for instance. They knew what they had but you still have to do certain things to deserve to hit the field as the starter. Kid is gonna be good.

Some of the Watson thing was his availability in the offseason ...I mean he was out for spring game for instance. They knew what they had but you still have to do certain things to deserve to hit the field as the starter. Kid is gonna be good.

Likely won't be back until at least the Georgia Tech game unfortunately. If he can get healthy and stay healthy he is going to shatter all the records Tajh Boyd set at Clemson. If you talk to Georgia high school coaches, they will tell you he's arguably the most talented QB to ever come out of that state. He's that good.

Very impressed with Watson, too bad he got hurt. This BC gm is going to be interesting this weekend to see if Clem defense can continue playing well and stop that running game. This should be a grind it out game I think.

Big game for Clemson this week. Prolly the best gauge for the rest of the year even without Watson. Gonna pass on it altogether even though I think Clemson is the right side bc of their defense.

Even with Indiana without their starting QB do we think they will be able to move the ball against an obviously not as good as last year Michigan State defense? Should be interesting to watch as MSU has now given up a ton of 2nd half points in back to back weeks.

Back