What did we learn? Nov 7th edition...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
UCLA, down by 13 pts in the 4th quarter had zero sense of urgency...

I saw that live.

ND-Clem was a classic.

MSU is who we thought they were.

Pass all day and night on Michigan.

Florida, they score...and lots.

I may have to buy a Liberty shirt.

BYU is still good.

As in most years, covid aside, neither MSU or UofM are in contention for anything and the emphasis to beat one another in what is IMO the best interstate rivalry game leads to both teams embarassing said state the following week. Also Don Brown may need to rethink his career.

I met the next Syracuse QB JaCobain Morgan and I liked what I saw!

For the first time ever I can say that Indiana looked like they had better football players than Michigan.

Nebraska looks like a broken record, year after year after year

ULL has gotten so much run out of their ISU win, they are not really that good

The Southern Miss fade train continues - some team named North Alabama was leading for 2+ quarters and comfortably covered

Maryland beating Penn State might be one of the most beautiful games I've seen

UNLV is getting soooo much better, but games are 4 quarters and not 3. It's hard learning how to win

I thought Georgia had a good defense?

Good to see teams re-energize themselves and come to compete after a really rough patch, Pitt.

Kansas State, always there to surprise you when you count them out

I've never seen more 3rd and longs and 3rd and very longs in a single game than WKU-FAU, maybe the ugliest game I have ever witnessed

Add UCLA to the short list of teams woefully unprepared to start the 2020 college football season

I'm a Rutgers fan

Stanford, man...Stanford how many RZ trips they have and no points? It was so many I lost count

Notre Dame played Clemson at the perfect time, not because of the injuries and absences on Clemson necessarily, but clearly you could see ND getting better on a weakly basis, improving as the year goes on, exactly what teams should do. Nice win!

I'm a Arkansas fan

Oregon State is rough

New Mexico for the second straight week, against the odds that team is facing, really plays hard and looks fairly competent

As in most years, covid aside, neither MSU or UofM are in contention for anything and the emphasis to beat one another in what is IMO the best interstate rivalry game leads to both teams embarassing said state the following week. Also Don Brown may need to rethink his career.
It may need its own thread but the situation at Michigan is alarming.
@BAR and the boys need to learn us other folks on what is going on there and why Harbaugh has this job for what seems like lifetime eternity.
Someone on radio said if they hire Urban in 2012, where would they be....interesting for sure

Taulia probably keeps Locks around College Park a couple more years. And that sure didn't look like that was going to happen after the NW game. Not a Locks fan by any means, but it was somewhat satisfying seeing him do that to Franklin yesterday.

Kirby Smart is Will Muschamp with 5 star recruits. His D laid another egg yesterday. Yes the injuries didn't help, but his calling card is defense, and that was ugly. I assume JT Daniels is hurt, because there's no reason he shouldn't be playing over Bennett and Mathis. But he's healthy enough to run the scout team?

Speaking of Muschamp, wth was that yesterday?

Kudos to Notre Dame. They pushed Clemson's defense around. They probably don't win a rematch against Trevor, but proved they are a worthy challenger.

My Lobos are 0-2, but they are at least competitive and play hard. They won't play a home game this year, but it looks like they at least have the right guy in charge. If they can just somehow survive this year and keep everyone from leaving, they may just be headed in the right direction.

Read an article a few weeks back where Saban said it’s now offense taking over defense. Don’t think we’ll see 13-10 finals unless it’s the inept offensive teams like Fau and WKU.

I’ve noticed that most games going under is not due to good defense, its just BAD offense.

A reminder about let downs and flat spots...

Michigan State just bad or they a little flat off the Michigan win?

Memphis played a poor 1st H vs Temple after beating UCF and they did it again vs USF after losing to Cincy

Boston College looked like a different team almost at Syracuse the week they gave Clemson all they could handle

Penn State came in 0-2 and off losing their biggest game of year, that has to be about the only way to explain what Maryland did to them

Oklahoma State pretty much dominated Texas the week before losing for the first time of the year in OT, then nearly lose as 2 TD fav to K St

Coastal learning how to handle success, off the woodshed game of Georgia State seemed a little off vs South Bama

It's not like the teams you suspect might be flat always are, but it does happen. Texas could've been although I thought they played to their typical standard, Cincy could've been off finally beating Memphis but clearly were not, Ohio State could've been off the PSU win but were not (led 35-3)

Cincy. It had Memphis circled on its schedule for 10 months and laid waste to them. Then primed for a big letdown against a decent Houston team, it proceeded to go out and lay waste to them. Very, very good, in all facets of the game - buttoned up and so well coached, disciplined, great athleticism across the board and Desmond Ridder doesn't get much national attention but he's playing as well as anyone at the position.

I've been on BYU as the best non P5 in the country. Not anymore.

Cinci coach gotta be leading the clubhouse for a big job

Hugh Freeze right there too
SEC wouldn't let Alabama hire Freeze a couple of years ago, wonder if they will change their minds? Could see SC, Tenn, and possibly AU interested. Wonder if Michigan would give Fickell a call, or would he even it entertain it as a Buckeye?

I hate to say it because Fuente is an OU guy, but he set the world record for incompetence in the last 10 seconds of that game (I'm hoping one of the assistants made the calls, but I doubt an assistant did it) and lost the game for his team.

First he decides to pull what has always seemed like a brain lock move to me and call timeout just as the FG kicker tries a FG (It makes no sense to me in any case. At best, the maximum upside is that a kicker has to try again and the downside can be disastrous, but if you just HAVE to do it, it only makes sense if you think the kicker will make it.)

Saturday VT called the timeout on a 59-yard try, 18 yards further than any FG the kicker had ever made. Sure enough, Tech blocked it--a VERY likely outcome on a kick that long--and took it to the house. But wait, doesn't count, kicker gets another try.

But this time Freeze decides to try a hail mary instead. But, for reasons that make zero sense, V Tech backs off and puts all the D backs 25 yards downfield, so Freeze has his QB just take an easy completion to a WR with no one near him--who steps out of bounds after a 10 yard gain or so--and THEN kicks the FG, which the kicker drills.

There is no rhyme or reason to some of the arbitrary conversion decisions which are made by these coaches who don't follow any kind of numerical rationale but yet just make whimsical decisions (i.e. Penn St Coach Franklin down 35-7 scores and goes for two to make it 20 vs. 21 deficit). And yes he did it again on the next score and failed. The reason I bring it up is it seems like it happens all the time, some of these morons will leave themselves on 9 or 12 without blinking.

There is no rhyme or reason to some of the arbitrary conversion decisions which are made by these coaches who don't follow any kind of numerical rationale but yet just make whimsical decisions (i.e. Penn St Coach Franklin down 35-7 scores and goes for two to make it 20 vs. 21 deficit). And yes he did it again on the next score and failed. The reason I bring it up is it seems like it happens all the time, some of these morons will leave themselves on 9 or 12 without blinking.
My sour grapes post today:

Lil Tua looks pretty good. Kinda wish LSU had him. And Jarrett looks the 5 star he was coming out. What a day!

There is no rhyme or reason to some of the arbitrary conversion decisions which are made by these coaches
I noticed the same thing and it seems like it's more scatterbrain this year than ever. I wasn't surprised that years ago coaches just made up a card that said what to do with zero consideration of time left, how the teams are playing, just blindly do what the card said.

But we've had decades of history now, hundreds of thousands of games, we have far more advanced analytics and computers, but coaches seems to have ignored everything we've learned and, if anything, are regressing on when to go for two

Props to Brian Kelly. He continues to do an excellent job at a school that still puts academics before football.

Not only do all football players have to take hard classes, including during Freshman year--no way football players at all the elite powers could ever do that--they all have to live in the dorm until their senior year.

If you saw Claypool as guest picker on Gameday Saturday you get insight into how sharp N Dame players are (not to mention Equaminious St Brown who did his letter of intent announcement in French)

They are for real too. Big, tough, always in the right spot, you know you are going to get hit hard every play. I've watched them a lot this year and those big tight end types have been making hard catches look routine, just like they did against Clemson.

Kelly is following the game plan devised by Bill Walsh when he went to Stanford--I can't get all those 4.3 wide receivers admitted to school like Oklahoma and Ohio State and Clemson can, but I can get almost every smart guy I go after and a lot of them are huge tight end types with great hands.

Walsh always made tight ends a major part of his team with the 49ers and with Stanford (where he did two different stints). He said they are so big they never get the ball knocked loose when they are hit by smaller Dbacks, and you can never have too many. If they can't get on the field as TEs you can always convert them to O-Linemen.

Harbaugh and Shaw followed that plan when they took over, but lately Stanford hasn't gotten any of them. Maybe because they all went to N Dame

SEC wouldn't let Alabama hire Freeze a couple of years ago, wonder if they will change their minds? Could see SC, Tenn, and possibly AU interested. Wonder if Michigan would give Fickell a call, or would he even it entertain it as a Buckeye?
Don't think Fickell would go there for 10 million

Remember, he just turned down MSU in February as well for a sizeable contract.

James Franklin once kicked a FG down 38-0 to Michigan to avoid a shutout... He rolls differently.

I hate to say it because Fuente is an OU guy, but he set the world record for incompetence in the last 10 seconds of that game (I'm hoping one of the assistants made the calls, but I doubt an assistant did it) and lost the game for his team.

First he decides to pull what has always seemed like a brain lock move to me and call timeout just as the FG kicker tries a FG (It makes no sense to me in any case. At best, the maximum upside is that a kicker has to try again and the downside can be disastrous, but if you just HAVE to do it, it only makes sense if you think the kicker will make it.)

Saturday VT called the timeout on a 59-yard try, 18 yards further than any FG the kicker had ever made. Sure enough, Tech blocked it--a VERY likely outcome on a kick that long--and took it to the house. But wait, doesn't count, kicker gets another try.

But this time Freeze decides to try a hail mary instead. But, for reasons that make zero sense, V Tech backs off and puts all the D backs 25 yards downfield, so Freeze has his QB just take an easy completion to a WR with no one near him--who steps out of bounds after a 10 yard gain or so--and THEN kicks the FG, which the kicker drills.

I heard Freeze describe his rationale on putting the O back out there after the block. He thought in all the mayhem on the VT side having to regroup after that timeout/block he could 'steal' a few more yards to get closer. VT's D gave him the exact look he was hoping for.

I noticed the same thing and it seems like it's more scatterbrain this year than ever. I wasn't surprised that years ago coaches just made up a card that said what to do with zero consideration of time left, how the teams are playing, just blindly do what the card said.

But we've had decades of history now, hundreds of thousands of games, we have far more advanced analytics and computers, but coaches seems to have ignored everything we've learned and, if anything, are regressing on when to go for two

I can't stand it. It happens in the NFL occasionally now as well.

It's all analytics - coaches explain it "well the data says if you can get an extra 2 points instead of 1 at some point in the game your chance of winning goes up x%"...or something like that.

I never minded the chart so much, although some points in the game you don't listen to the chart. But now it's not the chart, it is some computer algorithm that coaches are applying without adding in common sense.

Washington State was missing 32 players, including RB Borghi, started a true Fr QB and still far and away looked and played like the better team at Oregon State. Wash St led by as many as 21 points before OSU closed the gap.

Notes after reviewing the film from Maryland's stunning blowout win at Penn State:

Taulia Tagovailoa

• Tagovailoa's early throw to Dontay Demus on the sideline was ill-advised but NFL-quality. The corner route against Cover 2 is considered open, but the safety started on the numbers. The ability to complete that throw accurately is something that many NFL QBs struggle with, let alone a college sophomore starting his third game. This is how good he is and what you can expect from him for the next two years. Unfortunately, you’ll be watching him on Sundays after that.
  • Significant interaction happened when Demus dropped a 3rd and 8 pass in the fourth with Maryland up, 35-13. Lia was visibly upset and Demus took responsibility. He not only said it out loud, he walked over to Lia and Mike Locksley and said it to them. Lia shook his hand to acknowledge it. This is significant because the players know that they have a QB who is doing all of the right things and they have to uphold their end of the bargain. There’s an obligation to not only please their QB, but to do their job every play. This is a clue that the culture is changing and the leaders are still not too big for the little things.
  • He makes very few mistakes in general, but when he does he is usually out of the pocket. When he is on the run he tends to throw into double coverage more often.
58COMMENTS

Offense

• Scottie Montgomery called a great game by setting up the defense with powers, whams and traps. He countered that by running slants and crosses behind the LBs. He had a lot of success with the wide passes and runs up the middle. Although Jake Funk didn’t finish with the stat line he did last week, I don’t think they intended for him to be a large part of the scoring this week. They knew that they had to keep the LBs and safeties defending the inside run game. This allowed them to throw through the middle of their defense.
  • The first TD by Rakim Jarrett was a disguised Cover 1 man where the corner wasn’t even lined up over his receiver. I really don’t know what the PSU defense was trying to do. Either way, Tariq Castro-Fields’ eyes were in the backfield just like they showed on tape. Jarrett ran a swing slant where he started the route out as a wide fade and rounded it off into a slant. This is a key element in Locksley's offense. Each play is designed with multiple route options to beat multiple defenses. If it's zone coverage, the route for this play would be the wide push slant. If it’s man coverage, it would be a stem slant or a post. They’re simple changes that are determined by the motion across the field to alert both the WR and QB as to which route is open. The other benefit of the motion is setting the strong side of the defense away from the slant. With this happening, they know that the SAM is not going to drop off into the path of the slant if it is cover 2. In this situation, the WILL is the player that needs to cover the slant but because it is 3rd and short, they send the WILL on a run blitz. Even if he drops, Jarrett’s route is designed to push wide and stay skinny on the slant to stay out of his zone. Lia also has to release the ball as soon as he cuts the route. Lastly, the safety, Lamont Wade, doesn’t recognize the play because his eyes are in the backfield rather than recognizing the route. All of this leads to a TD.
  • Jarrett’s secnd TD was man coverage and Jarrett just pushed wide to get the CB to think wheel route, then cut inside of Demus running a Stem 7. The stem 7 is set to beat the Cover 2 and pull the safety if it’s Cover 1, while the fake wheel/slant is set to beat man coverage. Lia just has to pick the route and throw it. For this TD, he has to wait for Jarrett to pass through linebacker Jesse Luketa’s zone. Lia also has to freeze Luketa so he doesn’t slide with Jarrett. A good QB will either watch the LB until the last second, or he will watch Demus even though he knows not to throw that route. This will take care of the LB. Again, Wade doesn’t recognize the route and is late. He ended up getting benched for the rest of the half, I believe.
  • On Funk’s TD run, we call an outside power with Johari Branch and Johnny Jordan pulling and kicking out the scraping LB and free safety that comes down. Jordan’s block ends up taking out both the LB and the CB that comes down to support. Funk stays patient and accelerates right as the hole opens up and outruns the safety.
  • On the TD to Demus, Lia recognizes zone coverage with the motion across. The defense has a cover 6 man to the field side with the safety and corner on the play side, playing quarters defense. The ball should go to the player running the out but the read is to the CB. If the corner turns and runs, throw the out. If the CB continues to slide and the receiver gets even, throw the fade. Well, both the safety and the corner bite on the out and nobody covers Demus. Eay touchdown. The CB stayed in his shuffle stance and kept his eyes in the backfield rather than on players in his zone.
  • Terps' OL plays incredibly well together. Branch has stepped in and proven himself as the LG. They really don’t miss a call. Watching them vs the PSU OL was night and day. PSU would neglect to block Maryland's DTs at all on some plays. The OL allowed very little pressure and shut down star defensive end Shaka Toney completely. He didn’t even make it into the stat line. Maryland needed to upgrade the line to be Big Ten capable and they absolutely have done that.
Defense

• Well, people asked for the 4-3 and they started in a 4-3, or 4-2-5, actually, with the SS rolling down as the SAM. They also transition back to the traditional 3-4 with DeShawn Holt’s hand in the dirt as a 5 or 7 technique weakside DE and the SAM lining up over the TE on the opposite side. This lineup allows the weakside to close down on running downs and split out wide on passing downs. The SAM has the ability to line up on the line of scrimmage for running downs or back off on passing downs. This is essentially how they ended the game last week against Minnesota and how they were able to overload the weakside and let the LBs cheat over to the strongside. Prevents the weakside Wham, allows Holt to slide and close the strongside zone and keeps the OL off of Chance Campbell and Ace Eley. This is the benefit of the Hybrid 3-4 and a HUGE sign of what this defense is capable of becoming.
  • The secondary had to play man a lot more this game because of the single read offense that Clifford and PSU run. Clifford doesn’t hold the ball very long because he makes mistakes if he does. In the beginning of the game the secondary doesn’t trust the route they see and they complete a few short slants. That stops after the first drive and the defenders begin to trust what they saw on film and what they were coached to do all week. Because of this, Clifford holds the ball too long and Maryland gets seven sacks. The DL also does a great job of clogging the middle lanes, which is where Clifford loves to escape, and forces him to search around for an exit strategy. He’s not athletic enough to beat Maryland's DEs or LBs and ends up getting sacked a bunch because of his indecision. Tanner Morgan ran the offense to perfection last year at Minn because of quick decision making. Clifford is not that comfortable yet. Not even close.
  • PSU didn’t install as much as I would have expected from them. They introduced a couple new players into the offense, but they were largely ineffective. They ended up moving their RT to RG for 2 quarters. Their offense was pretty much exactly what I saw on film from them the previous two weeks.
  • Nick Cross was allowed to be an NFL single high safety and play the angles. With yje defense playing 1 Man for most of the game, Cross also became the run force player on anything wide. He had to fly to the ball and force everything back into the LBs. The LBs did a great job scraping to the sidelines and Cross was also the spy for when Clifford left the pocket. He proved his ability to be a future stud with eight tackles, a sack, an INT, a forced fumble, and 2 pass breakups.
  • The DL used lots of games to confuse the OL of PSU. Nearly all of the sacks came from pressure on the edge. Anytime Maryland ran a knife, which is where the DE and OLBs attacked their inside gap and the DT crossed over top of them and attacked the edge, the OTs failed to adjust. Nose tackle Ami Finau is just not athletic enough to do anything on the edge. The other thing this allowed them to do was to blitz the edges with the safeties and ILBs. The DL doesn’t get a ton of pressure on the QB, but they do a great job occupying the interior and staying at home. They’ve done a lot better from Week One to now.
  • Tarheeb Still will be a stud. Deonte Banks will grow into a great DB as well. This DB backfield may rival the one from 2002 with four NFLers and 15 INTs. The defense is different, but the talent is there! Had a tough time working as the inside corner on the Trips formation but did a great job. Made a lot of plays and when they caught the ball he was able to make the tackle immediately.
  • Freshman Ruben Hyppolite was all over the field. Sheds blockers fairly well, sometimes went around them rather than through their hips. His hustle and work rate is sky high! On the 2nd sack, he was supposed to be covering the RB. The RB was in blitz pickup, then rolled around the tackle for a dumpoff. Instead of going with him, he blitzed up the middle and was free. Good timing, but a good QB will dump that off and he’d be gone for 15-plus yards.
  • Kenny Bennett’s INT was a product of the DL clogging the middle escape route for Clifford and forcing him to go to his bailout play of 50-50 ball to Dotson. We knew it was going to happen, and Bennett made a great play. A couple drives later, Dotson gets the better of him on another jump ball
  • Maryland faced 93 plays from PSU and held them to 434 yards. This is an average of about 4.7 yards per play. Their longest play was a 24 yard pass. Best of all, Maryland held them to 2.6 yards per rush.

Washington State was missing 32 players, including RB Borghi, started a true Fr QB and still far and away looked and played like the better team at Oregon State. Wash St led by as many as 21 points before OSU closed the gap.

Da hell? How many players did Wazzu suit up? Wow.

I'm not going to let this go....it's time Boise get rid of that god awful blue field. After 34 years, the novelty has worn off. The novelty wore off many years ago.

It's like the Beth Mowins of football fields. Literally makes it impossible to watch a game. As she's a beating on one's ears, that blue abortion is such a beating on the eyes.

Add Nick Rolovich to the list of impressive coaches, Sam Pittman is still my leader for coach of the year, but Washington State looked great the other night.

No spring practice, new coaches and a new system on both side of the ball, and a team not loaded with talent, but Washington State has the look of a well-coached team. Offense, defense, special teams all working with precision, almost no strutting and look-st-me theatrics, Everyone giving max effort on every play. My kind of team

I'm not going to let this go....it's time Boise get rid of that god awful blue field. After 34 years, the novelty has worn off. The novelty wore off many years ago.

It's like the Beth Mowins of football fields. Literally makes it impossible to watch a game. As she's a beating on one's ears, that blue abortion is such a beating on the eyes.
As I’ve gotten older, it’s definitely hard in the eyes. Especially if I’ve had a few....and they always play late haha

I heard it mentioned on the Andy Staples podcast, but that field either looks way different in HD, or they've changed it. It's borderline unwatchable for me

I heard it mentioned on the Andy Staples podcast, but that field either looks way different in HD, or they've changed it. It's borderline unwatchable for me

I thought I may be imagining things but it's liked they shocked it with even more blue.

Coastal Carolina won 23-6. South Alabama had 336 yards but only scored 6 points thanks to being in the RZ 3x yet only kicking 2 FGs. USA was SOD at the CC30, SOD at CC01, fumbled at the CC19 and kicked one of their two FGs from the CC13. Coastal outgained them 445-336 and Coastal settled for 3 FGs from inside the 13 yard line. Coastal only got 2 TDs on their 6 RZ trips. Both teams were awful on 3rd down combining for 5-of-25 conversions. USA went for 4th down 7x converting 3.

Troy led 10-6 HT, but Troy's only TD was a 44y pick-six while Georgia Southern kicked FGs from the T06 and T18 yard lines. GaSo had a huge 24-6 minute TOP and yardage edge in the 1st H despite trailing. Odds makers must have been sleeping on this game as the 2nd H line was GaSo +6. Without top rusher JD King who is likely out for the season, GaSo rolled in the 2nd H winning 20-13 and finished with a 411-235 TY edge. GaSo ran for 326 and owned a 43-17 TOP edge.

A week after being blanked 51-0, this week Georgia State released some anger scoring TDs on their first 3 possessions to lead 21-0 10 minutes into the game. It was 35-7 mid-2nd Q and 42-14 HT with GaSt having a 330-177 yardage edge. Final score 52-34 with yardage being 504-424.

Arkansas State dominated early yet didn't have the score to show for it. ASU had drives stall at the L03 and L07 resulting in a missed FG and a short FG to lead just 3-0 while ULL was struggling only crossing midfield once on their first 4 drives of the game. ULL did get the O going but ASU stopped them on 4th down at the A06! After an INT ASU was once again in the RZ and this time had to settle for another FG and would lead 6-0 at HT! ULL O started clicking in the 2nd H as they scored 2 TDs and missed a FG to take a 14-6 lead. ASU scored TD early 4th Q (2pt no good), then ULL added two FGs to make it 20-12. ASU scored on a 47y TD pass with 2min left, 2pt good to tie the game! ULL moved down the field, approached FG range and popped a 21y run to the A02 and then ran it in from there with 1min left. ASU's hopes ended on an INT at the L33. ULL outgained them 440-423, the previously anemic ASU ground game actually outrushed them 199-196. ASU was 7-of-18 3rd down to ULL just being 3-of-13.

App St only outgained Texas State 426-420 but won 38-17. Texas State started Vitt at QB (finally) after poor performances from McBride in several games this season. TxSt scored on a 75y free-play TD as AppSt had jumped offsides to lead 7-0. App St tied then took the lead on a 49y pick-six. HT score was 24-10. A scoreless 3rd Q after TxSt was INT'd at the A28. Then the teams traded TDs in the 4th...31-17. TxSt was SOD at their own 47 and App St added a 32y TD run with under 6min left. TxSt then moved to the A19 but were SOD again.

Colorado led 35-7 at one point (won 48-42)! RB Jerek Broussard was named PAC12 O POW for his 187 yards rushing (most ever by a Buff in debut and most by a PAC12 RB in debut since 2011).

Stanford found out just hours before kickoff that QB Davis Mills and WR Cody Wedington were positive for Covid. Amazingly Stanford was 0-4 FGs by Jet Toner who has always been solid for Tree dating back to 2017. Yards per play were only 7.5-7.2 for Ducks. Oregon was an unbelievable 9-of-11 3rd down!

Washington State ran for 229 and passed for 227 in Rolo's debut. Wazzou led 28-7 at one point (38-28 F). Stats show Wazzou outgaining them 456-451, but 293 of OSU's yards came on their final 4 possessions of the game. Wazzou played without 32 players for a varied of undisclosed reasons.

USC did outgain ASU 556-392 in the 28-27 win, although that win seemed rather improbable for much of the 2nd H. ASU led by 13 with just 5min left in the 4th Q! USC would get TWO 4th down TDs with an onside kick to take a 28-27 lead with 1:20 left. The game ended on 4 straight ASU incompletions near midfield. USC was stopped on 4th and 1 3x in the game! Trojans had a 51, 81 and 60 yard drives end in no points. With a new receiving corp and returning Frank Darby leaving with injury, the ASU passing game struggled, Daniels was just 11-23-134-1-0, but did lead the team with 111y rushing.

Baylor had leads of 14-0, 21-7 and 24-10. Reason? 3 Brock Prudy INTs, one was returned 56 yards and one was returned 30y for TD. HT score was 21-10 and ISU was set as a 7pt 2nd H fav. A fumble to start the 2nd H handed Baylor a free FG (Baylor only gained 2y on that possession). ISU took got right from there with 4 straight TDs (one was short field after blk'd punt) to lead 38-24! Baylor did score a 58y TD on 4th down. Baylor had one last chance but threw INT in the EZ with under 1min left. Baylor ended with a 366-362 yardage edge thanks to their final 2 drives of the game where they gained 151 yards.

Kansas State had one of their better total yardage games, but lost. K St outgained Oklahoma State 370-256. K ST led 12-0 with FGs from the O12, O11 and a TD (2pt no good). OSU barely crossed midfield just twice on their 6 1st H possessions! Tables turned 2nd H as K St didn't cross midfield on their first 4 possessions of the 2nd H while OSU had two RZ FGs sandwiched around a TD to make the score 13-12. KSt then fumbled at the O15 which was a scoop-and-score Poke TD...20-12! K ST did score TD with 2min left, but 2pt no good...20-18. K St used all 3 timeouts and got the ball back with 1:47 but Howard threw an INT on the first play.

West Virginia was in the RZ 5x but scored just 1 TD. They were stopped twice on 4th down, once a drop and once a controversial no call D PI.

Memphis had a 537-330 TY edge over USF and won 34-33 but USF was winning 27-13 HT! USF did have a 51y pick-six and Memphis was SOD 3x in the 1st H. In the 2nd H USF could only muster 2 FGs.

Southern Miss won 24-13 as 17.5 point favorites. North Alabama was actually leading 10-7 HT. Vegas posted a 20.5 2nd H line! SM outscored them 17-3 in the 2nd H. Yards were 345-175 with SM being -3 TOs. SM is playing their 3rd string QB and it shows.

Temple led 13-10 HT! SMU outscored them 37-10 in the 2nd H racking up a 549-388 TY edge. Temple continued to rotate QBs without Russo available for the 2nd straight week.

TCU led 17-3 early 3rd Q and later 27-10. Texas Tech made it 27-18, but Duggan capped the scoring with an 81y TD run! (longest TD run by QB in TCU history) He finished with 154yards rushing but only passed 11-23-73-0-1!

TCU blk'd two punts.

Texas Tech was held to 89 yards in the 1st H and didn't get their first FD until 10 minutes left in the half. TY were 343-311 for Frogs with each team losing one turnover.

Felt like I was in Tuscaloosa boomers in the 90s

Thought it was just me haha

Most important thing I learned is I may wind up liking this season better than any other.

Covid has cut down the games, made every game more important.

Conference game every week has exposed some programs that were benefiting big time from being able to buy three or fours non-conference wins against cupcakes to inflate their records. If they had been able to buy their usual guaranteed wins teams like Michigan would now be saying, well we are still above 500 and sure to make bowl blah, blah.

Really helped a lot of schools like Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina and BYU and all the grooup of 5 teams,

Good games every week and schools no longer being able to take byes before and after big games on the schedule so they have to put it on the line every week.

Really a season to remember and it makes it even better to think we came close to not having one.

Also learned that all football players get an extra year of eligibility which is fantastic. Really going to benefit a lot of guys who are good college players but don't stand much change of having a pro career. A ton of quarterbacks who are dominant in college but have no shot at the pros will be back playing again.

Almost all skill players will automatically take the extra year Oklahoma has four or five great receivers every year, but maybe 1 out of 10 make it to the NFL Same with running backs.

Matt Wells had Texas Tech kick a FG on 2nd down from the 19 with 2:44 minutes left in the game with all his timeouts? And they missed it. I just read about this now. They trailed by 9 at the time.

PAC 12 confirmed Friday what Stanford had suspected, that a false positive kept Stanford starting QB Davis Mills and WR Connor Wedington and a reserve DL out of the Oregon game.

They remained in quarantine throughout this week, they have since been cleared and did the walk through with the team Friday, but had no practice this week.

Stanford's OL did not allow a sack, only allowed 1 qb pressure and paved the way for 198y rushing (6.4) vs what is expected to be one of the better DLs.

Back