What did we learn in Week 9 of the college football season?

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Me, personally... not much. I was gone all day.

I did get to watch the first 18 minutes or so of Georgia-Florida.

The opening drive by Georgia was smart. That kind of set the tone for them, I am guessing and allowed them to use the run to pass a bit. Let your QB settle in and get some points against a pretty good defense on the first drive by pounding the ball.

Okay, what say you?

I am going to focus a bit on some coaching situations:

Mark Richt must be incredibly stubborn because there is no excuse for why he continues to play Rosier at QB. The Miami defense has been pretty solid for the most part yet their season has been destroyed by a QB that is as bad as any in the country. I don't think that Perry the backup is any sort of savior but at least he is a freshman that showed some upside and that is reason enough for him to play over the senior who is flat out terrible.

Willie Taggart looks completely overmatched. I fully expect this job to open up after next season.

Speaking of other top jobs that will be available either at the end of this season or next look no further than USC and Oregon. Helton had no business getting the USC job in the first place and that fan base will not be patient with him for much longer especially when the team across town made a splashy hire and it won't be long before UCLA dominates USC with Helton at the helm. As for Oregon they have big money to spend on a coach and Mario Cristobal is completely unqualified to lead a big money program.

Matt Campbell continues to do a bang up job at Iowa State and Bronco Mendenhall is quietly doing a great job at Virginia. If Campbell is smart and there is no reason to think that he isn't he will wait it out at Iowa State until a job like FSU or USC opens up.

I learned quite a bit

1. NCState secondary is a real weakness to their team. I knew it was the primary weakness but after watching them yesterday against a running QB, it became apparent they are going to be beaten a lot through the air down the stretch by any team that can throw.
2. If you are a NFL scout and still think Herbert can make it at that level, then you should be fired. He is not NFL material unless D1 college football defenses are greater than NFL defenses. Inaccurate ball after inaccurate ball not just this week but almost every time I watch him. The balls he does throw into the correct zip code are tough balls to catch. Rarely see him hit a player in stride, or throw it to the correct shoulder, or have the proper velocity on the ball. Just zero way this kid makes it as a professional. Do you hear me Mr Davis? Don't draft him.
3. Jimbo Fisher is getting the Harbaugh treatment from SEC officials.
4. Arizona is getting a little better each week. Sumlin has brought some toughness to their team. Need WR talent to run his system the way he likes offensively but he seems to have them playing better after the early season transition issues.
5. It is wise to let the other team score when you are on defense at the end. With knees coming on a first down, the Arizona State kid broke into the clear and he did not slide but rather scored the TD. This Allowed USC to get the ball back and they scored a TD and had 30 seconds or so if they recovered the onside kick. They did not but they had a shot. Meanwhile with the South Carolina runner breaking free late against the Vols they stupidly tackled him to end the game. At least make that kid make the unselfish decision to slide as it appears most will not. I don't understand why teams continually tackle after the line to gain when it will mean knees.
6. Ball States offense just isn't good. Some early season fluke results have been hard for me to forget personally but they are methodical and unexplosive, and struggle to block up front. Their defense while improved from last year is no great shakes.
7. QB Stanley for Iowa has really regressed. 86 yards passing against Maryland last week and I would say he single handedly beat his own team yesterday. If you did not watch the game, you cannot understand just how horrible he played. He has some decent games this year, so maybe it is a slump but that was brutal to watch.
8. Iowa State keeps beating teams with better talent, with injuries at key positions. It is amazing what a team can do if they are well coached, willing to work hard all week and execute on Saturday. Team is a joy to watch play.
9. Coaches are horrible. Not learned but just emphasizing. One example that comes to mind ... Under two minutes to go first half and Arizona has first and goal with clock ticking ... Oregon does not use a timeout. They stop them short on first down and still do not use a timeout. Not to be outdone, Sumlin's team rushes up as fast as they can and runs the next play (and score) with almost the whole playclock still available. It ended up not mattering because Herbert is a terrible QB but you just have to love both coaches being absolute morons in that spot.
10. Meant to point this out prior but the Western Michigan punter kicks like my four year old niece.
11. May have mentioned before ... Wake Forest offense can really do damage on below average defensive teams.
12. Florida is getting very close. Mullen will have them competing at very high levels consistently soon.
13. Clemson had a few holes and weaknesses earlier in the year and were quite vulnerable but managed to win those tough battles. As usual, Dabo and his staff have developed their players well and the team is just playing at a very high level now.
14. Deceiving Finals list off the top of my head: USM vs Charlotte, Niu vs BYU, SDSU vs Nevada

Last edited:
Clemson has definitely improved but man that schedule... They were basically given a playoff spot with their preseason ranking. I do think they are on of the top 6 right now but it will be an interesting semifinal, whoever they play.

Stanley hurt his thumb yesterday, not sure when.

Thanks for pointing out coaching blunders. Those make me smile.

#3 makes me smile too, Retro.

Clemson has definitely improved but man that schedule... They were basically given a playoff spot with their preseason ranking. I do think they are on of the top 6 right now but it will be an interesting semifinal, whoever they play.

Stanley hurt his thumb yesterday, not sure when.

Thanks for pointing out coaching blunders. Those make me smile.

#3 makes me smile too, Retro.
It was mid third quarter I think as I remember Cubsker texting me about the first two and a half quarters before the injury. Also, his best play was late, while still doing all he could to prevent Iowa from winning. Not running on first and goal in that situation was also painful from Ferentz.

There is probably an old maxim saying a bettor should never criticize a team that wins a big bet for him, but the Iowa offense looks like something from the days of black and white film. They always have a great D, are well coached overall, are tough guys that play hard, everything I like, but the offense reminds me of Frankenstein’s monster trying to walk for the first time.
Best example—Iowa has first and goal in the last few minutes, game on the line, and it looked like no two players were on the same count or running the same play. Some WRs ran a pattern, some were looking at each other, some didn’t even move, the QB was trying to change a play but no one paid attention, the QB threw a pass to air and PSU intercepted. Amazing.

If the rest of the Florida team ever gets to the level of the front seven on D they will be world beaters. That goal line stand against Georgia was the best of the season. Maybe the best of all time. Georgia had first and goal at the one, ran a bunch of plays, got TWO penalties that gave them additional first and goals, and got hammered on every play they ran, losing yardage on every one.

Nevada is under the radar, but is a tough, well coached team with a good QB . Norvell has an excellent staff, has brought in a lot of talent and size and it shows. SDS has a lot of injuries, but Nevada stood up to them physically, which not many teams can do. I bet them in the late game and felt at ease with my bet the entire game. Beware of going against them the rest of the year.

Justice Served Department—four years ago a kid named Matt Colburn committed to Louisville. The day before signing day Petrino pulled his scholarship offer, so he committed to Wake Forest. Yesterday Colburn ran for 248 yards and three TDs against Louisville.

The under on the Umass/UConn game was the greatest gift to gamblers in years, maybe ever. Opened at 71 and stayed there till mid-week. Every weather service in the country reported a giant Nor’easter would hit the area at noon Saturday so I got on the under. By late Thursday the line dropped to 64.
Saturday comes and the storm is worse than forecast. The game is on ESPNU and the very first thing they show when the pre-game comes on is hospitality tents being blown away, fans seeking shelter from howling wind, and rain blowing sideways. I figured the line must have dropped by a 25-30 points, but I call the book and it had gone up to 65. I added a sizable bet and from the first play it was obvious both teams were going to be lucky to score at all. Christmas came early.

Mike Leach is a genius. A lot of young coaches could learn how to manage a career from him. Most young coaches who have success at a second tier-school jump at the first offer from an elite school or any SEC school, whether it’s a good job or not.
They may do a good job, but most of these jobs are coach killers and within a couple of years all the fans hate them because they don’t win the conference title and make the playoffs, or, in the case of Gus Malzahn, hate them even if they do. They get fired and spend the rest of their lives as assistants.
Leach stays where he is, makes a fortune, runs things exactly the way he wants to, and is a hero if he produces a good competitive team, which he can do in his sleep.

Utah State and Fresno State are the two best unknown teams in the country. Most of the world ignores them, but they are money in the bank for bettors. I’ve been betting them all year in the late games and they are a combined 14-2 ATS. My only complaint is some suit in the athletic department scheduled the Utah State game for afternoon this week and no one told me about it so I was shut out. They both covered again yesterday.

Last edited:
I hate everything about Missouri. Everything. Always have, and this goes back to the Pinkel days.

That was the worse closure of a game that I've ever seen. 5 minutes left, up 14-3, you punt and essentially wave a guy, from 70 yards, into the end zone. I mean, a fucking corpse could have found the end zone on that. It was that bad . The Missouri defenders may as well have been having a picnic, they showed that much interest. You then have another vaginal 3 and out. And you proceed to allow a completely inept offense to go 81 yards to score the go ahead TD, including a 4th down score to win the game.

I hate Missouri, over and over.

So let's just break down this Iowa fuck job and get it off my chest. As some know, I had them almost any way possible, with a parlay on the under.

First about that under 51: This game should have been 16-14. Iowa got two safeties from snaps rifled out of the end zone or mishanlded by PSU punter. PSU intercepted Stanley (more on this loser later) and took it all the way back inside the 5 I think, either way, easy PSU td. Iowa has pick 6 late with score 27-17. Iowa scored a TD on a fake FG that PSU said they had practiced for all week, yet D lineman comes up with over the shoulder grab. PSU freshman kicker who has been awful all year nails 3 field goals from 44 plus. Iowa kicker hits a couple, one from 49 himself. There was wind and rain, sopping wet field, naturally. At one point there were 28 points scored early in the second quarter without either offense having 100 yards. In fact, combined it was under 125. I lose the under by 3 points.

I had Iowa +6, +7, ML: All that said, Stanley completely overthrew a wide open TE on 3rd and 1 off play action to give Iowa at least a 12 point lead. The pick in the end zone on FIRST DOWN from the 2 has been mentioned to take the lead, figured I'd bring that up again. Franklin was doing Franklin things completely melting down again with 10 point lead late in the game. Pick 6, slamming his hobbled QB right up the middle of the LOS when all he needed was one first down to seal game. Iowa decided not to use TE Fant until final 2 drives, where he proceeded to get 57 yards. I'm talking one target all game until 5 min left.

James Franklin made two hilariously boneheaded decisions: He ices his kicker before halftime, using a timeout as he prepares and then proceeds to kick a 44 yd fg through the uprights. Kicker had to redo it, and he made it. Fans went nuts when he called TO. So Franklin. Next, Iowa fumbles ball late when PSU would want to preserve time, think end of half, refs signal PSU recovers the ball. Franklin races out on the field and calls a TO. Of course, you don't need to call a TO when there is change of possession. Ferentz doesn't call a TO when his offense is clearly confused at end of game and has no idea what they are doing running routes. And why they are even throwing late at the goal line out of shotgun is beyond me.

Two horrible coaches. I thought more of Ferentz honestly. Outside of the Iowa D line being long, i wasn't impressed with them at all. Its like they are a team who is trying to be vogue throwing the ball over the field with personnel that clearly fits grind and play action to the two talented TE's they have.

Yeah, I won some money, not nearly as much as I thought I would. And my head still hurts from watching such a poor game.

The B1G is just complete trash this year if anyone didn't know. Its down right horrifying to watch.

Its really the only game I can speak on, it was my super bowl of bets this year. My winnings felt like a loss.

I learned that Purdue WRs still can't handle the clutch and grab defense in the B1G. (will likely see same issues against Iowa saturday)

I also learned that I have no idea what "targeting" means or is.

And all field goal kickers suck....even if it's 41 yards I was shouting at Brohm to go on 4th and 2 to win that game right then and there.

I learned that Purdue WRs still can't handle the clutch and grab defense in the B1G. (will likely see same issues against Iowa saturday)

And all field goal kickers suck....even if it's 41 yards I was shouting at Brohm to go on 4th and 2 to win that game right then and there.
We'll talk more in BIG thread... But that's the one thing playing Sparty DBs... They are taught to get away with as much as possible. And, I agree he was way to conservative there. That looked like a perfect "steal a road win" scenario against one of the worst 4th quarter teams in the country and it slipped away.

All field goal kickers suck unless i have the under and they nail 4 from 44 plus in the rain and slop...and wind.

stanley...my god, he either played the worst game of the season from anyone or got paid a good sum to throw that game. unreal bad.

sdsu QB is just utter garbage. brutally bad 2H of offense from SDSU.

Oklahoma is averaging 4.3 points per possession, Alabama is averaging 3.8. Those are the two best marks this century. Maybe forever, but i stopped researching when I hit 2000. One of the reasons Oklahoma is scoring with such ease is that opposing D-coordinators are telling pass rushers not to rush Murray or he'll just take off running for 20 or so.

I have a standing weekly lunch bet with a buddy that I will see a moron commit a pointless holding penalty that gets a touchdown called back before halftime of the first round of games on Saturday. This week I didn't even have to wait until Saturday. A BC moron committed one on Friday night that is bad even by moron standards. He was standing back with the punt returner to block the first Miami gunner down to cover the punt. The returner started right, then cut back left and was five yards past the gunner when the moron grabbed him from behind (To top it off the same guy then lined up off-sides on his own three to give Miami a first and goal). I saw at least a dozen more by halftime Saturday.

Colorado had the collapse of the week. Up 31-3 and with the ball in Oregon State territory in the third quarter and they still figured out a way to lose. Then after Oregon State tied it up late in the fourth Colorado had a first and goal at the Oregon State 9, but got a moron holding penalty. Guy on the left side grabbed a defender's jersey from behind on a play to the right when the RB was 15 yards ahead of the defender.

UAB is 7-1 both SU and ATS and is in the top 20 of virtually every defensive stat while UTEP is 0-8 and yet numerous touts, most TV talking heads, and both the public AND the sharps were on UTEP so strongly the line fell four points. That's a handicapping theory I don't comprehend.

Looked to me like Kelly called off the dogs after N Dame was up 27-0 at halftime over Navy. I got the impression they could have won by 60 if they had wanted to but his main interest was to get the game over without anyone getting hurt and get ready for N Western (which is the most unpredictable team in the country to me). I don't know how good Notre Dame is, but they look as big as any team I've seen. Every one on the team looks big and physical and they all play like tough guys.

Last edited:
Dont make 29 bets while youre on vacation putting minimal prep into decisions....

That said, only game i watched was Oregon and oh boy are they overrated. Coaching, herbert, et al

There is probably an old maxim saying a bettor should never criticize a team that wins a big bet for him, but the Iowa offense looks like something from the days of black and white film. They always have a great D, are well coached overall, are tough guys that play hard, everything I like, but the offense reminds me of Frankenstein’s monster trying to walk for the first time.
Best example—Iowa has first and goal in the last few minutes, game on the line, and it looked like no two players were on the same count or running the same play. Some WRs ran a pattern, some were looking at each other, some didn’t even move, the QB was trying to change a play but no one paid attention, the QB threw a pass to air and PSU intercepted. Amazing.

If the rest of the Florida team ever gets to the level of the front seven on D they will be world beaters. That goal line stand against Georgia was the best of the season. Maybe the best of all time. Georgia had first and goal at the one, ran a bunch of plays, got TWO penalties that gave them additional first and goals, and got hammered on every play they ran, losing yardage on every one.

Nevada is under the radar, but is a tough, well coached team with a good QB . Norvell has an excellent staff, has brought in a lot of talent and size and it shows. SDS has a lot of injuries, but Nevada stood up to them physically, which not many teams can do. I bet them in the late game and felt at ease with my bet the entire game. Beware of going against them the rest of the year.

Justice Served Department—four years ago a kid named Matt Colburn committed to Louisville. The day before signing day Petrino pulled his scholarship offer, so he committed to Wake Forest. Yesterday Colburn ran for 248 yards and three TDs against Louisville.

The under on the Umass/UConn game was the greatest gift to gamblers in years, maybe ever. Opened at 71 and stayed there till mid-week. Every weather service in the country reported a giant Nor’easter would hit the area at noon Saturday so I got on the under. By late Thursday the line dropped to 64.
Saturday comes and the storm is worse than forecast. The game is on ESPNU and the very first thing they show when the pre-game comes on is hospitality tents being blown away, fans seeking shelter from howling wind, and rain blowing sideways. I figured the line must have dropped by a 25-30 points, but I call the book and it had gone up to 65. I added a sizable bet and from the first play it was obvious both teams were going to be lucky to score at all. Christmas came early.

Mike Leach is a genius. A lot of young coaches could learn how to manage a career from him. Most young coaches who have success at a second tier-school jump at the first offer from an elite school or any SEC school, whether it’s a good job or not.
They may do a good job, but most of these jobs are coach killers and within a couple of years all the fans hate them because they don’t win the conference title and make the playoffs, or, in the case of Gus Malzahn, hate them even if they do. They get fired and spend the rest of their lives as assistants.
Leach stays where he is, makes a fortune, runs things exactly the way he wants to, and is a hero if he produces a good competitive team, which he can do in his sleep.

Utah State and Fresno State are the two best unknown teams in the country. Most of the world ignores them, but they are money in the bank for bettors. I’ve been betting them all year in the late games and they are a combined 14-2 ATS. My only complaint is some suit in the athletic department scheduled the Utah State game for afternoon this week and no one told me about it so I was shut out. They both covered again yesterday.

Thanks for this bro.......LOVE LOVE LOVE shit like this

especially when it happens to that dick

Another gem Tahoe

You are on fire sir

James Franklin made two hilariously boneheaded decisions: He ices his kicker before halftime, using a timeout as he prepares and then proceeds to kick a 44 yd fg through the uprights. Kicker had to redo it, and he made it. Fans went nuts when he called TO. So Franklin. Next, Iowa fumbles ball late when PSU would want to preserve time, think end of half, refs signal PSU recovers the ball. Franklin races out on the field and calls a TO. Of course, you don't need to call a TO when there is change of possession. Ferentz doesn't call a TO when his offense is clearly confused at end of game and has no idea what they are doing running routes. And why they are even throwing late at the goal line out of shotgun is beyond me.

Two horrible coaches. I thought more of Ferentz honestly.
I highly recommend watching the "Coaches' Film Room" version of the national championship game each year. Two years ago the coaches were BYU's Sitake, Coloradoo's MacIntyre, Temple/Baylor's Ruhle, and three coaches from Clemson's division: Addazio of BC, Doeren of State, and Babers of Cuse. After Renfrow's reception to make it 34-31 with one second left, Addazio advised Clemson to take a knee on the try to run out the clock. LOL. So Franklin's not the only one. They probably say "field gold" like little kids.

ReFerentz, I recall losing a bet because he called a QB sneak on 2nd-and-1 at the 11. You don't WANT first-and-goal at the 10. That's not an improvement over what you had already. So, the QB loses a fumble on the sneak, and I lose my bet.

Somebody said on twitter about Oregon State kicker missing the extra point before overtime:

“If we had a kicker, It’s over. Leave Choukair in Boulder.”

Twitter being Twitter, Choukair had a response:

ATTACH]
1540855933120.png1540855933120.png

I highly recommend watching the "Coaches' Film Room" version of the national championship game each year. Two years ago the coaches were BYU's Sitake, Coloradoo's MacIntyre, Temple/Baylor's Ruhle, and three coaches from Clemson's division: Addazio of BC, Doeren of State, and Babers of Cuse. After Renfrow's reception to make it 34-31 with one second left, Addazio advised Clemson to take a knee on the try to run out the clock. LOL. So Franklin's not the only one. They probably say "field gold" like little kids.

ReFerentz, I recall losing a bet because he called a QB sneak on 2nd-and-1 at the 11. You don't WANT first-and-goal at the 10. That's not an improvement over what you had already. So, the QB loses a fumble on the sneak, and I lose my bet.

I've tried watching, but it makes me feel stupid. My old school buddy and I always say, we chose the wrong professions in life. Amazing how dumb so many of these guys are.

Whenever I hear them refer to the coaching battle as a "chess match", I laugh. They are playing a game on the same board, but it isn't chess.

I've tried watching, but it makes me feel stupid. My old school buddy and I always say, we chose the wrong professions in life. Amazing how dumb so many of these guys are.
Where I grew up, as a kid in first and second grade, half my friends (including Mike MacIntyre) had dads in the business.

Whenever I hear them refer to the coaching battle as a "chess match", I laugh. They are playing a game on the same board, but it isn't chess.
Al Groh was the worst. When he was hired at UVA, he actually said, "I'll be playing chess while they're playing checkers." Remember his tenure, Kyle?

Al Groh was the worst. When he was hired at UVA, he actually said, "I'll be playing chess while they're playing checkers." Remember his tenure, Kyle?
Lmao - I remember a game very early in the season one year think it was UVA/BYU possibly, but anyway VA is losing fairly big down by 18 and score and Groh goes for 1 and kicks leaving his team down 12. Asked about it after the game, instead of just admitting he couldn't do simple addition/subtraction and that he made a mistake instead his reply was that he didn't feel confident in his team's ability to convert a two point conversion at that point in the game (late 3rd or 4th qtr).

Where I grew up, as a kid in first and second grade, half my friends (including Mike MacIntyre) had dads in the business.

Guy I went to school with and played ball with, his dad was Bill Teerlinck, d line coach for colts and a bunch of other teams. At the time he was D line coach for Lions. Huge man, probably the IQ of a child though and behavior of a college frat kid. True story, he'd drink 12-24 beers on the way home from a game depending on length of the flight. Guy I played with is now, his son, is now D line coach for Bills. He's a good dude and not at all like his father in weight or drinking. But he gets a job on the last name alone. It just recycles itself, the profession is a joke. Once you in, you in.

Lmao - I remember a game very early in the season one year think it was UVA/BYU possibly, but anyway VA is losing fairly big down by 18 and score and Groh goes for 1 and kicks leaving his team down 12. Asked about it after the game, instead of just admitting he couldn't do simple addition/subtraction and that he made a mistake instead his reply was that he didn't feel confident in his team's ability to convert a two point conversion at that point in the game (late 3rd or 4th qtr).
Tim, that was his very first game (in 2001). I'll never forget the opponent, the pointspread, and the score.

Aug. 25 Wisconsin u47 W +10 17-26

The Hoos were down 26-10 late, and they scored and kicked the PAT and covered the spread.

Tim, that was his very first game (in 2001). I'll never forget the opponent, the pointspread, and the score.

Aug. 25 Wisconsin u47 W +10 17-26

The Hoos were down 26-10 late, and they scored and kicked the PAT and covered the spread.
You are right it was 9 not 12 and that was the game Wisc not BYU, I had forgotten the spread ramification. Incredible memory there, hope you were on the right side.....I would say I am getting old, but I am already there....

Back