What did we learn in Week 14, the most monumental week yet

Gandolf

Leader of the Van Buren Boys
Apologies to BAR but this thread needs to get going. This weekend was a big one.

Wentz done for the year (too bad he's more brittle than Dak). What does that mean for the Foles-led Eagles?

Can the Rams feel good about giving up 7 scoring drives?

Vikings hold Cam to 137 in the air but give up runs of 60 (to old man Stewart) and 62 (to Cam??) to fall way behind. Keenum had two picks but then led a comeback. Calls for Teddy already?

Jags-Hawks was 3-0 at the half. No surprise there. Then a 51 point second half?? Big plays all over the place. The usual Seahawk bitterness at the end of a loss. The end of the Legion. Have the Jags got a nickname for that D yet? Where do these teams go from here? Can the Jags go into New England or Pittsburgh (ahem, again) and win?

Steelers do their usual last minute no-cover victory. 38 given up to Flacco?? They expect this D to win it all?

KC resurrected their season, LAC continue to roll. Who wins their Saturday showdown?

Green Bay, Detroit and Dallas all hanging around. That Falcons win was the only bad news these teams saw this week.

Jimmy is new in town, Jimmy doesn't know anyone, now Jimmy is 2-0 and ballin. Are the Niners bettable? Titans next week.

Speaking of which....Marcus Marcus Marcus. What in the hell? Throwing picks in the redzone now, uh oh. Guys, your playoff spot is not secure.

Jets McCown finally gets knocked out of a game. Are the Jets now a worthwhile fade?

Did any team play worse than the Bengals? Do they win again this year? Will the Bengals let Marvin go on Black Monday, January 1, or will they be nice and wait until the next business day?

Wentz injury changes the face of the NFC playoffs.

Napolean Dynamite isn't leading the Eagles anywhere, this isn't 2013/14.

Is now the Saints to lose, Goff and Keenum ain't getting to the big dance.

New Orleans the best team in the NFC now bar none.

Rams have guys on D playing with 1 arm. They're getting depleted at LB and DB. Trumaine Johnson needs his C taken off his jersey for taunting after a 3rd down stop. It changed the game and the season.
Foles will do fine for the Eagles. They'll continue winning.

I'm trying to be realistic. I am trying to look for any form of optimism for the birds, and it is hard. This is devastating. However, I don't think it is unrealistic to think that:

-They win 2 of their last 3 to lock up the 1 seed in the playoffs
-Minny, New Orleans, Seattle, LA...all are warm weather or dome teams who would have to come to philly in the winter in a hostile environment
-Ajayi has looked great and the offense is going to run through him now
-Foles is not good but hes not Tom Savage bad. As far as backups go, you can't do much better
-Defense can step up big time

Our hopes for a SB run are very much diminished, but there is a path, it is possible.

Wentz injury changes the face of the NFC playoffs.

Napolean Dynamite isn't leading the Eagles anywhere, this isn't 2013/14.

Is now the Saints to lose, Goff and Keenum ain't getting to the big dance.

New Orleans the best team in the NFC now bar none.
How can you trust Brees OTR right now? I don't think they have a great shot unless they can dominate the LOS and the tougher defenses they've played against this season (those that will be around in the playoffs) for the most part have all shut them down.

And the Saints defense is still nothing to write home about IMO.

I don't know what to think. My club shot themselves in the foot all day yesterday with mistakes and most of them were not because CAR was pushing the issue. Plus, we lost 2 OL to injury during or before the game. That unit is beat up right now. If they were healthy, I'd say we're right there to win the NFC, especially if we play all those games at home. The good thing is the road to the finish gets significantly easier with 2/3 at home and all against teams with records of .500 or less.

Philly still has a great shot if Foles can manage the game. it's not like he has no experience, and he'll get better with more reps in practice this week. I thought he played pretty well coming in cold against the Rams.

And the Rams, btw, are pretenders. Goff looked lost and scared in the biggest game of their season yesterday. That defense is full of injuries too.

CAR can bring it if they are at home. Not sure how well they will travel. The long run from Cam yesterday came mostly due to a nice mugging from Matt Kalil on Barr. Funny, he always used to get called for those when he played here but no call yesterday. Then, a horrible angle from the safety and Cam was off to the races to seal it.

Nobody else in the NFC has a shot outside of those four. ATL is too inconsistent and they will be OTR the whole time which is a house of horrors for them. They can win the division and maybe one home game if they win out (which includes a game in NO), but I don't see that happening. I'd just be happy if they can keep GB out of the playoffs.

I said it before he was drafted but Mariota stinks. The Titans will never win anything with him at QB.

Garropolo has a chance to become one of the top 5 QBs in the entire league. Getting him for a second round pick will go down as an all time heist.

Cleveland will go 0-16 but with all their future draft picks it's a good job for a new coach and GM.

Whatever team pays Cousins 25-30 million per season will be making a huge mistake. Just can't pay that kind of money for a guy who hasn't won a big game in his career.

I predict 3 or 4 QBs will go in the top 5 of the 2018 and the Jets better trade up for one of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. If a team like Chicago or Indianapolis ends up with the 3rd pick they will be able to trade it for a ton.

McCown got injured at least 10 weeks too late. In pure Jets fashion a journeyman had a career year to hurt draft position when they desperately needed to land a top 3 pick. At this point I don't care if it costs them 5 first round picks they better end up with one of my top 3 QBs.

Todd Bowles showed exactly why he has no business being employed as an NFL head coach. Hopefully KJ gets his wish and this dope is back in Arizona next season.

Thoughts---

The NFC IS SO WIDE OPEN.

I PREDICT NOW THE NFC REPRESENTATIVE WILL BE GREEN BAY CAROLINA OR ATLANTA.

I feel any of these 3 teams are capable of making the suoerbowl. Rodgers Newton and Ryan and exoerienced teams.

Not sold on Eagles or Rams or Saints. Vikings can be great and roll into the dance or they can choke as they usually do.

i feel the Nfc team will be a wildcard rep and the Nfc division with Saints Atlanta and Carolina has been the best Nfc division for the past 5 Years.

Mariotta and Winston are garbage .

Mariotta isn't a pure passer. He's more of a college qb.

Winston is way too CARELESS with the ball.

OAKLAND IS GARBAGE ON ROAD IN ANY KEY DIVISION GAME.

SAINTS ARENT A DOMINANT ROad team.

Is BALTIMORE AND JOHN HARBAUGH A JOKE?

How much of a lead do they need? Why do they play prevent defense with a lead.
No blitzing? Let Ben complete a million easy check downs?
HARBAUGH is turning into a joke- you can't lose that game.

Pittsburgh defense is crap and Brady would score 35 on them in the playoffs. No Shazier means no speed on defense.

Pittsburgh defense is crap and Brady would score 35 on them in the playoffs. No Shazier means no speed on defense.

We learned that the Jags might be the new legion of Doom

BOYE AND RAMSEY best 1-2,combo of corners in a very long time.

Bortles most improved? He is playing best ball of his career. Reminds me of his days at UCF

Chargers are Legit. They have everything going right now.

However if they have to play on the road vs the Pats they would be best advised to not even bother showing up. Just save your airfare.

Chargers will get outclassed because Bill will find a way to make Bosa Ingram disappear and he will take away Keenan Allen also.

Brady vs Rivers isn't fair. Brady is everything Rivers isn't. Mainly he's a winner and Rivers isn't.

Lol at the Chargers. Posted the same about the fraud Ravens in last week's thread.

Why is LA good? Because they won 4 straight?

- vs Peterman
-vs no Elliot Cowboys
- vs Browns
- vs decimated Skins

Seriously. What makes them good.

They have yet to beat a team with a winning record. Not one. (1 .500 team).

No bias because of my team. Though I think this is fake steam and I think the line will go back toward KC by gametime (unless you think LA would be a TD+ favorite at home against the Chiefs, go lay those points).

I'm disgusted with the whole league. These injuries have been killer. There's one good team left.

And btw they will not cover tonight. All over the Fins.

We learned that XAVIER HOWARD is the real deal.

This guy is a baller. Young but looking like he knows how to ball

I wish to amend my previous post slightly.

The Chargers beat the 5-4 Bills with Peterman.

Larger point still stands.

Patriots went 0-11 on third down Monday night, their first game without a third-down conversion since 1991.

I wish to amend my previous post slightly.

The Chargers beat the 5-4 Bills with Peterman.

Larger point still stands.

your point is valid and the browns would have had a better chance at beating them than the bills with Peterman. However, I am very against judging a team based on strength of schedule. Almost all good teams have stats like this because there are so few good teams in the league anymore. SD should have won in Jacksonville and played the Pats tight. They are also passing the eye test if you watch them they are just playing well; Keenan Allen is getting better by the week coming off a huge injury. This isn't even considering the early season games they lost bc of that Younghoe kicker.

Appreciate your point, just don't agree that this is the way to judge the team. They look like a good team. This game in KC is gonna be huge for both sides. Kinda like the over if anything.

IMG_4906.JPG IMG_4904.JPG

I learned in Week 14 that whenever SNOW is in the forecast And Shady McCoy is on that field..... Put your money on him.

Shady "Snowman" McCoy
Frosty McCoy

The Jags out boomed the Legion of Boom. They really manhandled the Hawks. Dare I say Bortles looks good? His mechanics are much better and he is playing with some confidence. I can see this team giving the Pats trouble in the playoffs. The key denominator for teams that have beaten the Pats in the past, in games that matter, has been a formidable pass rush, and Saxonville has just that. And a solid run game to boot!

The Steelers won, AGAIN, but this time with explosive offensive play. Offensively, they can keep up with anyone, but how much will not having Shazier affect their defense moving forward? I think the Patriots will bounce back and beat the Steelers this week, as they have proven to have their number in the past. That would give the #1 seed back to the Pats.

The Chargers are another team that has a formidable pass rush, and in fact they're a pretty well balanced team all around. Keenan Allen has been playing out of his mind.

The Chiefs offense has looked good the past two weeks, since Andy Reid handed over play calling. Not sure if they can overcome the bad defensive play, as they are currently 27th in defensive efficiency.

The Ravens could be sneaky. Well coached team, solid D, and Flacco has looked better the past couple of weeks.

There will definitely be a drop-off with Foles behind the helm for the Eagles. He played well when he came in off the bench, but that's not the same as starting. Opposing teams will game plan accordingly. Some think Foles is good because he was once a starter, and he once threw for 7 TD's in a game, blah, blah, blah. He is what he is, a decent backup, nothing more. I feel it's safe to say the Eagles are no longer the team to beat in the NFC.

The Falcons won to keep their hopes alive. Not sure if we'll ever see the same Falcons from last year with Sarkisian calling the plays, but the sheer memory of last year is preventing me from counting these guys out. I just have the feeling that they can turn it on any given moment.

It's hard to pick between the Saints, Vikings, and I'll throw the Rams in there as well. I feel all three are capable of beating one another, any given Sunday. Home field is going to be crucial this year. Minnesota and New Orleans are generally tough venues for opposing teams.

The Panthers are hard to gauge. They show up one week, and don't show up the next. The team feeds off of Cam. Getting Greg Olson back is key for them. They have a championship caliber defense.

If Rodgers plays, the Packers are capable of beating anyone. There's still a heartbeat there.

My Cowboys are not out of it yet either. I believe we get Zeke back after this week. Raiders on deck.

As a titans fan I’m disgusted and sick to my stomach. Yes, they control their own destiny, but coming into the season the offense wasn’t supposed to be a question mark, it was their defense. Now we got Mariota throwing picks all over the place, our run game is inconsistent and no big plays down the field. When Mariota has the threat of his legs and the run game he’s a really good qb. Problem this year is he’s had a bad hammy, ankle, knee, so he’s not running as much and is forced to stay in the pocket. Not his strength. The defense has been a pleasant surprise. Take away the Pitt game (which they were right there going into the 4th before all hell broke loose) and the first Texans game w Deseaun at qb they’ve been playing well, and Byard should get some votes for defensive POY. I still think they can be a factor if Mariota can stop losing games for them. Just stop throwing picks. Let demarco and Henry run 40-50 times a game behind that offensive line. Strong run game, solid d, and a good kicker travels in the playoffs. Question is can Mariota stop forcing throws??

Jets will start Petty with McCown out. Line is already 17 against the saints. If the saints mentally show up here and score anything over 28 they cover that. Wouldn’t be shocked to see hackenberg get a start or two for the jets as well as they need to see what they got going into what’ll be a high draft pick once again. They have some building blocks. I like their WRs in Kearse, Anderson, and they get Enunwa back who was their no 1 heading into the season. Sefarian Jenkins is good, and guys like Leonard Williams, may, and Adams will only get better. They just need a franchise qb. I wouldn’t be shocked if they took a flyer on teddy ballgame see if he’s got anything left.

Saints lost Kamara early, really hurt them

Steelers poor performance will help them, now know where they can be exploited after their injuries

I don't really pay any attention to line moves within 3, over pk, etc

It seems to be rubbish

Sorry but you and I both been doing this long enough, movement between the 3s is virtually worthless if you're a trying to read it

I'm sure you can pick spots for both sides, I hate it

Back