What did we learn after week 2 NCAAF?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
Boise State is a FRAUD away from that butt ugly blue field of theirs
my Michigan State Spartans will NOT beat (or cover) vs Ohio State

Cardale Jones can't catch shotgun snaps.... or can he?

BG offense is looking pretty unstoppable and they just never, ever, slow it down. I had an under ticket and while it was lucky to be sitting where it was at halftime, for that game to have that many pts in the second half was tough to take. I know I am old fashioned. But that isn't football.

Offensive favorites with suspect defenses are better favorites than defensive favorites with suspect offenses in modern football.

Houston's Ward is a player. Special player.

Anyone see the AFA fumble at the 1 yard line? Why do we bother with replay if they cannot make the most simple of calls?

TAMU is a machine right now. You won' get any value though.

While the Florida offense is better than the last couple of years, they are still a ways off. It appears a lot of last week's outburst was because it was NMSU (gave up 34 to ga st today) and not as much as we might have thought about what Florida was doing.

Someone tell Espn we dont need to see the top25 scores every five seconds but do need to see the smaller conference schools once per half hour.

Why is it that every person watching could see Uconn could just make conservative throws on Army all day and rarely get stopped if they do but the coach can't see it?

Take away the star player on S Carolina and they don't have threats to score.

maybe road faves do suck

as always, it is easy to over-react to last week's results

didn't necessarily learn this today, but jarred goff will be an overall no. 1 pick

my step-son's grandma got way, way touchy-feely with me tonight...there is no way she doesn't want what is coming to her...she is one of those late 50s hotties...im blessed

the talent gap between what is thought of as top and bottom programs is narrowing....lot of very good players that fall through the cracks...

pure athletic talent is great, but it doesn't necessarily win everything without a good system.....a sliding scale...

SEC had a rough day......i want to get up from behind and fukk this chicck who is singing on SNL right now...who is she?

Oregon didnt kill their chances.......they have a cakewalk other than USC, but they catch them at home.....P12 Champ with one nailbiter loss to MSU in EL? Playoff!!

This fukkin board is so fukkin sharp.....i am too drunk to actually do accounting, but i don't think i lost on "tail' play today.....and did well on my own shit for a change

Kentucky can ball........we all knew it despite teh non-cover stinker in teh first game......stick with this team in good spots

Florida? got no fukkin clue......jfc..

the biggest "head scratcher" line of the week to me was ARKY laying "only" 20 to toledo, who had their first game cancelled......dominating SEC running team again untested and bullshit MAC team......I could not believe why this line didn't move up from 20 (ish) to 27 by weeks end......someone knew a fukk of a lot more than me about the mudhens.........

if i don't get one more big double jack/diet, I may pass out......

OK, i have re-filled.....and i just want to thank whoever it was to lay out a little bump next to my bottle.capping

i am going to way overbet georgia, georgia tech adn ucla next week.....

I learned Bill Snyder could start a QB who never started in HS AND his 2yrs at KSt and STILL beat the brakes off teams. Bill may be a deity

Starting to think Louisville might not be as good as first thought. Confirmed that Auburn is overrated as hell.

Sobering thought for Tennessee fans:

Record through 27 games: Dooley: 13-14, Jones 13-14

Les doesn't trust B Harris yet

Les still calls the most predictable game in CFB, outside of GA Tech and option offenses

Fournette is Adrian Petersen Part 2....he is the best RB in CFB

Some team is goona get very lucky and get Travin Dural

Jamal Adams not being All American...LOL

Tulane is worse than I thought....which is hard to do

Learned that Tanner Mangum is going to be crazy good if he has 3 or 4 years starting at BYU and they can keep getting these tall WRs. Watch these 4 bombs including another 4th down game winner. His passes look effortless. He is scary accurate rolling out, throwing on the run without a solid plant. Read what is in the Phil Steele post about him from earlier this week. BYU misses Jamaal Williams, they've gotta get a running game established (finally did so in the 4th quarter vs Boise), but this guy has ice water in his veins! i've got 4 clips from ESPN i'd like to post but i keep getting an error posting links. anyone able to help?

Learned that Tanner Mangum is going to be crazy good if he has 3 or 4 years starting at BYU and they can keep getting these tall WRs. Watch these 4 bombs including another 4th down game winner. His passes look effortless. He is scary accurate rolling out, throwing on the run without a solid plant. Read what is in the Phil Steele post about him from earlier this week. BYU misses Jamaal Williams, they've gotta get a running game established (finally did so in the 4th quarter vs Boise), but this guy has ice water in his veins! i've got 4 clips from ESPN i'd like to post but i keep getting an error posting links. anyone able to help?

Ok it let me post the links now, check these 4 deep plays.... he's a freshman. was on a mission just 3 months ago in Chile... same recruiting class as Winston, tied for MVP of Elite 11 with him... keep your eyes on this one!

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13642535

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13643237

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13644007

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13644446

PR adjustments I've made that are less or greater than 3 points so far

Upward movement:
Houston

Downward movement:
Tulane
Central Florida
Penn St
Rutgers
Army
Wyoming (biggest drop)

Kansas can't tackle. Will give up 40+ in a lot of games.

Including some halves as well. Collectively couldn't tackle a corpse.

Agree on Greg Ward above. Went the Boykin route starting as a WR, has taken some time to learn the QB position. But, boy, has he learned. Said it earlier, but I think Tom Herman is going to be a great coach.

U Conn will be much improved with Shirreffs at QB.
Army's offense is too one dimensional - we all knew that. But their tackling is real bad too.
Is Houston better than regarded ? or Louisville over-rated.
I thought I was dead holding an Under ticket on Minny - CSU when CSU tied it with a FG at the buzzer. But then they gave it right back to me by fumbling on first play of OT.
Also got lucky in the O U game- never thought I would win that after 3 quarters. I also never thougt I would win the Michigan game giving 14 1/2 late second quarter. Their defense looked impressive. Or is OSU a bad team ? WE don't know everything yet, do we.
And more good luck fell in bull's lap in the Rutgers-Wash St game where I made a last minute switch to the winning side in a game that could have gone either way.
On the flip side, my one FCS loss went triple OT.

Purdue may be better this year, but won't threaten the upper middle of the B1G standings. Yes, they beat an FCS team - but a pretty good one.
When I discovered I had Wake-cuse on a minor TV channel, Wake looked much the better team. Then while I was watching cuse pulled off some pretty impressive plays and shut down Wake's offense in ANOTHER game where I felt somewhat fortunate.
I see DS has bet Wake already v Army. I agree with him.
Can't remember what else I watched, never mind the details.

I watched wake v Syracuse as well.

I felt like wf was the better team.

Even though they got beat 38-0, I was impressed by Hawaii, at least on the defensive side. I thought they tackled about as well as I've seen a college team tackle in a long time. That, of course in today's day and age isn't saying much though. All kidding aside, they held Elliott to under 4 yards a carry on 27 attempts. I suspect nobody else will do that this year. Offensively, Wittek will probably continue to get better.

UTSA, after a one week aberration, is indeed what we thought they were on offense.

I like Chad Kelly better than Bo Wallace, but Fresno is a steaming pile of refuse.

I thought Terry Bowden would have the Akron offense humming along by now. He can't find anyone better to play QB than this stiff Kyle Pohl?

Zach Sanchez and Eric Striker, though major boneheads at times, sure do have a knack for making big plays.

Both of the New Mexico schools were favored, and both of them lost outright. Is anyone surprised by this?

Can anyone explain how Arkansas only scored 10 points on offense despite gaining 515 yards and only turning the ball over once?

If I lay points against Temple again, I hope someone will drive to my house and beat some sense into me. They proved that as long as you run the ball effectively and get turnovers, it doesn't matter how severely you get sliced up in the passing game.

I guess Delaware State isn't very good??

[h=5]TEAM STATS[/h]Delaware State
vs.
Kent State

<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">
[TD="align: right"] [/TD]
[TH="align: center"] [/TH]
[TD="align: right"] [/TD]

[TD="align: right"]18:53[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]TIME OF POS[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]41:7[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]FIRST DOWNS[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]25[/TD]

[TH="align: center"]Rushing[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]15[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]0[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]Passing[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]9[/TD]

[TH="align: center"]Penalty[/TH]

[TD="align: right"]0-10-0%[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]THIRD DOWN EFFICIENCY[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]4-16-25%[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]0-1-0%[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]FOURTH DOWN EFFICIENCY[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]4-7-57%[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]0-0-0%[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]RED ZONE EFFICIENCY[/TH]

[TH="align: center"]GOAL TO GO EFFICIENCY[/TH]

[TD="align: right"]-33[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]TOTAL NET YARDS[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]492[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]38[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]Total Offensive Plays[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]91[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]-0.9[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]Average gain per play[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]5.4[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]-38[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]NET YARDS RUSHING[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]278[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]28[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]Rushing attempts[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]65[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]-1.4[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]Average gain per rush[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]4.3[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]5[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]NET YARDS PASSING[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]214[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]3-10[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]Completions - Attempts[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]18-26[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]6--46[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]Sacked - Yards[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]1--8[/TD]

[TH="align: center"]Had Intercepted[/TH]

[TD="align: right"]8-295[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]PUNTS - YARDS[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]2-49[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]36.9[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]Average per punt[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]24.5[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]117[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]TOTAL RETURN YARDAGE[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]104[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]0-0[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]Punt Returns: Attempts - Yards[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]4-11[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]6-117[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]Kickoff Returns: Attempts - Yards[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]3-83[/TD]

[TH="align: center"]Interception Returns: Attempts - Yards[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]1-10[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]6-47[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]PENALTIES - Yards[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]12-114[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]FUMBLES[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]7[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]2-0[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]Lost - Yards[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]3-0[/TD]

[TH="align: center"]Recovered - Yards[/TH]

[TH="align: center"]TOUCHDOWNS[/TH]

[TH="align: center"]Rushing[/TH]

[TH="align: center"]Passing[/TH]

[TH="align: center"]Interceptions[/TH]

[TH="align: center"]Fumbles[/TH]

[TD="align: right"]1-1[/TD]
[TH="align: center"]EXTRA POINTS: Made-Attempts[/TH]
[TD="align: right"]3-3[/TD]

[TH="align: center"]TWO POINT CONVERSION[/TH]

[TH="align: center"]FIELD GOALS: Made-Attempts[/TH]

[TH="bgcolor: #ECECEC, align: center"]SAFETIES[/TH]

</tbody>

Starting to think Louisville might not be as good as first thought. Confirmed that Auburn is overrated as hell.
I consider myself a very unbiased Auburn fan and I do not think any of us will know what Auburn truly is until after the next two weeks. I knew all too well that our 6th ranking was VERY VERY VERY undeserving at that time. I am personally fading Auburn until October. I can sit here and make arguments for why Auburn is good and why they're bad but the fact of the matter is I think none of us can truly get a read on them until the end of September. Injuries and depth have hurt them bad already. However they are going to have everyone available this weekend. Not having Carl Lawson, Justin Garrett, and Tray Matthews on the defensive side of the ball is that big of difference for Auburn. Especially when the depth isn't there yet. Specifically if Carl and Tray are healthy, Auburn's D will be competitive, if not Auburn will go 6-6/7-5 IMO. Carl Lawson is that BIG of deal for us. Everyone falls into place once he is playing.

As for offense, they are going to trend upward and JJ will get better. How much better I do not know, but at the very least Auburn is going to continue to rush the hell out of the ball. Peyton Barber has established himself and he is a wrecking ball as predicted. Either way, I am fading them until October and from someone who spends WAY too much time following them I suggest you do the same. BOL

Last edited:
I learned Bill Snyder could start a QB who never started in HS AND his 2yrs at KSt and STILL beat the brakes off teams. Bill may be a deity
That rookie QB for KSU is in for a rude awakening when he starts facing some Power 5 defenses. He'll wonder where his time in the pocket went.

Jimbo is a pretty conservative guy by nature which is why I'm playing the under in Chestnut Hill

I don't see BC being able to do much offensively. I don't see Jimbo trying to open it up on the road with a team where 46% of the guys have never played a road game (reference Bud Elliott). I wouldn't be shocked to see less than 130 total plays here with 60% of them being running plays. If Jimbo gets up 10 and his defense is playing well I really see him being conservative. Thinking something along the lines of 23-13

I mean; even early on when the game was close. I didn't see them give him a chance to convert a 3rd down through the air.
Golson got there in August, I'm sure Jimbo saw what we all saw in the 1st half. The offense will be boom or bust, just reality. But also must see this is Jimbo's youngest skill group ever, so early on he's definitely limited in what the O can do with a QB that got to campus in August

Jimbo is a pretty conservative guy by nature which is why I'm playing the under in Chestnut Hill

I don't see BC being able to do much offensively. I don't see Jimbo trying to open it up on the road with a team where 46% of the guys have never played a road game (reference Bud Elliott). I wouldn't be shocked to see less than 130 total plays here with 60% of them being running plays. If Jimbo gets up 10 and his defense is playing well I really see him being conservative. Thinking something along the lines of 23-13

Agree with this, but think BC can win this straight up

Agree with this, but think BC can win this straight up

If so then you really have to like the under because I can't even fathom how BC wins and it goes over. Tyler Murphy isn't there to run wild anymore, as he did against Southern Cal last year

I consider myself a very unbiased Auburn fan and I do not think any of us will know what Auburn truly is until after the next two weeks. I knew all too well that our 6th ranking was VERY VERY VERY undeserving at that time. I am personally fading Auburn until October. I can sit here and make arguments for why Auburn is good and why they're bad but the fact of the matter is I think none of us can truly get a read on them until the end of September. Injuries and depth have hurt them bad already. However they are going to have everyone available this weekend. Not having Carl Lawson, Justin Garrett, and Tray Matthews on the defensive side of the ball is that big of difference for Auburn. Especially when the depth isn't there yet. Specifically if Carl and Tray are healthy, Auburn's D will be competitive, if not Auburn will go 6-6/7-5 IMO. Carl Lawson is that BIG of deal for us. Everyone falls into place once he is playing.

As for offense, they are going to trend upward and JJ will get better. How much better I do not know, but at the very least Auburn is going to continue to rush the hell out of the ball. Peyton Barber has established himself and he is a wrecking ball as predicted. Either way, I am fading them until October and from someone who spends WAY too much time following them I suggest you do the same. BOL

I said it watching the game last week, Barber put that team on his back. dude is a stud. But JJ is holding this team back.

Auburn luckboxed a bunch of games the year they lost in the championship fsu. They kept getting better every week that year though. If you can survive until the chemistry hits you have a shot at that type of thing. I am not saying they are that good but I wouldn't bury them just yet.

Edsall is as much of a dope as i always have thought he is. I was shocked that Hills won the qb competition and he once again has quickly proven that he can't play at the D-1 level let alone break a pane of glass from 30 yards. They should have known this from before watching Hills and certainly after the Richmond game when MD with any capable qb play could have scored 70. Anyway, Rowe gets the start this week vs. SF and D. Garman (Okie St xfr) is No. 2. Babers thoroughly out-coached MD with his second half adjustments going no back offense on 25 plays or so in 2H and really spreading MD out and exhausting their man cover resources. MD offense was pitiful and couldn't stay on the field long enough to give their D any kind of break and as a result they were exhausted from playing so many pass cover plays in 2H. Long year in store for MD but maybe the opportunity to can Esdall.

Last edited:
as always, it is easy to over-react to last week's results

didn't necessarily learn this today, but jarred goff will be an overall no. 1 pick

my step-son's grandma got way, way touchy-feely with me tonight...there is no way she doesn't want what is coming to her...she is one of those late 50s hotties...im blessed

the talent gap between what is thought of as top and bottom programs is narrowing....lot of very good players that fall through the cracks...

pure athletic talent is great, but it doesn't necessarily win everything without a good system.....a sliding scale...

SEC had a rough day......i want to get up from behind and fukk this chicck who is singing on SNL right now...who is she?

Oregon didnt kill their chances.......they have a cakewalk other than USC, but they catch them at home.....P12 Champ with one nailbiter loss to MSU in EL? Playoff!!

This fukkin board is so fukkin sharp.....i am too drunk to actually do accounting, but i don't think i lost on "tail' play today.....and did well on my own shit for a change

Kentucky can ball........we all knew it despite teh non-cover stinker in teh first game......stick with this team in good spots

Florida? got no fukkin clue......jfc..

the biggest "head scratcher" line of the week to me was ARKY laying "only" 20 to toledo, who had their first game cancelled......dominating SEC running team again untested and bullshit MAC team......I could not believe why this line didn't move up from 20 (ish) to 27 by weeks end......someone knew a fukk of a lot more than me about the mudhens.........

if i don't get one more big double jack/diet, I may pass out......

OK, i have re-filled.....and i just want to thank whoever it was to lay out a little bump next to my bottle.capping

i am going to way overbet georgia, georgia tech adn ucla next week.....

You, sir, are a fine American.

Btw, anyone see ESPN feature after MNF last night about 'bad beats' featuring Texas and Rice? I get the premise but if you want to feature gambling Disney network look at the whole game.

Btw, anyone see ESPN feature after MNF last night about 'bad beats' featuring Texas and Rice? I get the premise but if you want to feature gambling Disney network look at the whole game.

was that on SVP?

I saw that if so

Jimmy's post was true all-star stream of consciousness after a good day of football.....

Possibly one of the best posts ever as far as painting a picture

Not shocking a shrink would love it, the references were beautiful

Back