What did we learn after 7 weeks in the NFL?

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I'll re-take(hopefully for just a week) the thread starting opportunity here. Great job by emkee last week, he brought out his inner Joe Public...

I will not lie, I didn't learn a lot. I had no bets at all, I was tempted to take Carolina late but glad I didn't as I would have bit my nails off in that game.

Do not be suprised by a Detroit coaching change after next weeks London game. I have no fault with Caldwell but he has been 'Lionized'. It happens. If only we had an offensive line and Deandre Levy we prolly win 9 games but I am ready for the draft.

Great coaching by the Jets going for that FG. I know it messed with spread but to many coaches do not do that.

'Teeeds boys, wow. Great game by them.

All that talk about the running back situation in Dallas and Dmac said basically 'hold my dick'.

Houston is biggest dumpster fire in league. Bill-O go back to college buddy.

Miami has responded big-time.

These non-contact season injuries are getting too common. Why wasn't this more prelavent with astro-turf?

Stephon Diggs...steal of draft...as far as a skill position...

Jets D is good. NE is just smart and makes plays.

Atlanta gutted one out today. This is a different outfit than those past teams.

Seattle 'circled the wagons'. Nothing more and nothing less. Again, thank you Jed York and friends for Mr. Harbaugh. Obviously you made a wise decision.

Okay, about what I got...

Shoot out some thoughts...

Pagano needs to be fired on Monday.

The Giants were very fortunate they were playing Matt "Floater" Cassel. NY continues to make stupid decisions on offense. Would it kill them to take a page out of the Patriots book and play up tempo after two big offensive plays that gets them in the RZ and the defense is on their heels? In addition, idk why the worst RB is on the field when you're trying to run the clock out at the end. Just pathetic football IQ and attention to detail. Embarrassing really. Special teams bailed the team out.

Agree on Diggs... That TD was beautiful. You don't see many receivers even attempt to lay out for TDs like he did. Great play.

Which team will treat the trip to London like a business trip? I say the Chiefs wholeheartedly. Detroit's not mature enough to take this game seriously IMO and that's really all I need to make my play.

The oakland raiders demolished the Chargers like they were playing a scrimmage game. The final score is no where close to being indicative of how the game played out. Del rio has changed that culture. And the Carr-Cooper connection is awesome

Gates being out really hurt the Chargers. Hopefully the Ravens get blown out by 30 tonight to get some value on a great spot next week vs SD

Rams lead 10-0 after the 1st qrtr. Defensive TD. Defense forces a turnover in the red zone for a fg. Their offensive stats after 1 qrtr? -2 yards rushing. 5 yards passing for a net of 3 yards total offense. Jeff Fisher said during the bye week like the clever genius he is, We have continuity now...You sure do. This offense is so vanilla it belongs on a stick to sell at Pop Warner games. What a joke he is as an offensive mind. How in the world are the Rams -7.5 this week vs SF?

Last edited:
Betting against Matt Cassel is free money. After the 1H my buddy said "he's actually not that bad". I promptly pounded the Giants 2H and Dal 2h TTu and Cassel delivered. It's a shame what happened in Dallas this year. They would likely be sitting a top the division right now.

The Jets and Steelers proved they are legit contenders even though they both lost. Those were two confidence building losses. Jets proved they can play with the best team in the league. Steelers were in a tough spot with their 3rd string QB and played a decent game. These teams will compete and get better every week and will be dangerous wild card teams come playoff time.

coaches try too hard with the RB by committee bullshit. Two perfect examples yesterday were in Jack and Carolina. Jack replaces Yeldon on the goal line with Toby Gerhart and Car replaces Stewart in a critical 4Q situation. Enough already. Let your best RB try to get the 1 fucking yard you need.

You could say Pit was a 3rd example, but some of the decisions Tomlin has made this year deserve their own discussion. I like that the guy coaches by feel but he is overdoing it this year.

Cordarrell Patterson will be cut by the Vikings in the off season and will be another busted draft pick like Ponder. Jarius Wright, Charles Johnson, and Stephen Diggs will be the up and coming receivers. I will even go as far to say they may trade away Wallace as well open up some more cap space and roll with those 3 wideouts.

I dont think the pats are the best team in the league.

As much as I hate to say it I think they would lose to GB & will lose to Denver. Quite possibly NYJ at the end of the season also but could be a throw-away type game right before the playoffs.

Jets impressed me, love them as a pick at Oakland who is clearly getting love after beating a banged up SD team.

Yup @ Denver in primetime.... if they are still perfect the broncos will be dogged at home just like this weeks primetime matchup vs GB

I haven't looked up the stats and results, but it feels like every under I've lost has looked great at the half, then there's 35 points scored in the 2H. Likewise with overs I thought were toast after 30 minutes. I'm going to do some research and am seriously considering blanket 2H over plays next week

Carolina is a bit better than I thought, but Philly has no receivers? Miles Austin is their best receiver? WOW< he was let go by Cleveland., No wonder they didn't win. Poor capping = outcome, for me on that game. Eagles need improvement on receivers before they get my money on them.

Raiders are up and coming. They came though for me a couple times already.

Colts are in trouble.

Steelers cant win any more games without Big Ben.

Browns are no longer a fair ATS team. After 7 games they still cant run or play defense.

Denver and Green Bay upcoming. Wonder what we'll see.

Jets defense is one-dimension. Cant stop the pass to close out a game. May have same trouble against the Raiders next.

I haven't looked up the stats and results, but it feels like every under I've lost has looked great at the half, then there's 35 points scored in the 2H. Likewise with overs I thought were toast after 30 minutes. I'm going to do some research and am seriously considering blanket 2H over plays next week

the balls :cigarguy:

I friggin suck. Used to do well in NFL now I can't cash a ticket.

I am on Ravens, bet all you want on Cards.

Nonetheless I also learned that Jacksonville is a fucking weird team, loses to Houston @ home and then beats buffalo. How do you figure?

WTF Texans?

ROMO is the MVP of Dallas. Without him they suck.

coaches try too hard with the RB by committee bullshit. Two perfect examples yesterday were in Jack and Carolina. Jack replaces Yeldon on the goal line with Toby Gerhart and Car replaces Stewart in a critical 4Q situation. Enough already. Let your best RB try to get the 1 fucking yard you need.

You could say Pit was a 3rd example, but some of the decisions Tomlin has made this year deserve their own discussion. I like that the guy coaches by feel but he is overdoing it this year.

know I am alone but I think he's a bad coach.

Cordarrell Patterson will be cut by the Vikings in the off season and will be another busted draft pick like Ponder. Jarius Wright, Charles Johnson, and Stephen Diggs will be the up and coming receivers. I will even go as far to say they may trade away Wallace as well open up some more cap space and roll with those 3 wideouts.

What happened to Patterson? He looked great early on. Thought he was gonna be a stud.

I dont think the pats are the best team in the league.

The drop off from last year has not been anywhere near as pronounced as I thought it would be. Goodell saw to that by messing with Brady, who's highly respected by his teammates. This years team is Tom Brady's fuck you Roger tour. They will lose a couple before it's over but unless Cinci can win them all the road to the Super Bowl will go thru Foxboro.

What happened to Patterson? He looked great early on. Thought he was gonna be a stud.

he thought he was going to be a stud too and bought into his own hype. He's dumb as hell and doesn't study the playbook. He has no idea what's going on out there. Very tentative on returns too. He has the talent, no question. But the mental game is severely lacking.

To me he is similar to Percy Harvin, minus the passion and tenacity (of fighting his own teammates). I have been told by Vikings staff he has been known to toke it up right in his car before training camp and practice. He is definitely one of those guys. This past off season was the last straw for him, when Zimmer seeked out Michael Irvin to mentor him, work with him on routes and the playbook and after his coach went out of his way to seek out a hall of famer, the player just turned him down and said thanks but no thanks. That was the last straw and that is why AJ Theilen and undrafted D2 player see's more reps when Charles Johnson went down instead of our 1st round pick. The nail in the coffin was turning down help. Patterson is dead to Zimmer who seems set on not even giving him a chance to prove himself as he never sees the field and will be gone immediately.

http://www.startribune.com/identifying-cordarrele-patterson-s-offseason-mentor/288141201/

It later came out it was Michael Irvin and he said no.

You could see with O'Brien on Hard Knocks that he is just way out of his element. I wonder if they hadn't pulled out that crazy 4Q in Jax 2 weeks back whether he would have been fired today.

I'm still not convinced that there are any teams this season that belong in the "Very Good" category outside of NE and GB. Pitt, Donks, Carolina, NYJ, and Arizona all still feel very much like pretenders to me.

Pats need help on the Oline,, have some injury issues, Stork comes back in a week (if cleared from concussion) Cannon banged up and the starting left tackle out for the year... expect to see a trade or 2 for oline depth and if a decent cornerback is available (hello Houston).....

Was a big game for the jets, do they start flat next week?

Going to be a nice night Thursday weather in the 50/60's.... was hoping for cold to mess with the dolphins... lets see if they can temper their excitement from this past blowout and focus on this game...

Last edited:
Again, didn't follow my own advice and played a situation, ie Colts. Pagano is an idiot, Luck still makes dumb 'rookie' mistakes even after all these years.

If you go by the ingame numbers throughout the season, the Colts are right there with Houston as the shittiest team in the league.

Eagles purely lost yesterday because their receivers dropped the ball. Bradford is a cross-eyed dolt but his WR's let him down big-time.

Panthers are fortunate more than good.

I see similarities btw Panthers and SeaHawks of 2013...maybe?

Despite the crater, Tampa is better than we think -- assuming most of us think they are awful. Maybe some favorable lines upcoming?

I had written Brees and Saints defense completely off 3-4 weeks ago...was dead wrong, particularly about the D

Texans are horrible almost everywhere....did not learn it this week, just more confirmation

Brandin Cooks may be good one day, but he has to fucking fight for the ball and catch it better........are 5' 9" WRs to be taken as high as where the Saints did? I am not so sure.

Delvin Breaux fell down twice yesterday but he is turning into be pretty damn good.........start him over Browner when Lewis is back all the way. Browner ain't shit w/o that SEA pass rush..

Hau'oli Kikaha is turning out to be everything the Saints thought he was........this guy is gonna get paid......I really like Stephone Anthony too....

The Saints also hit paydirt with Terron Armstead..........quickly becoming the best LT in the NFL. Saints gotta pay him.

Colts look like they have the Saints bug.........bought some pricey guys and it AINT payin off........remind me of those mediocre teams the Saints had during prime Brees.

3 rules of thumb,

No team is as bad or as good as they looked the week before.

Always look to fade the lesser QB/Coach combo on the road and/or on a short week.

Avoid the juice.

After watching Matt Cassel yesterday, I've learned the NCAA needs to start doing a way better job of producing NFL ready quarterbacks. How else do you explain him getting chance after chance while a bunch of former college QB's are probably working full time at Foot Locker (even I could see Rodgers Cromartie was ready to jump that route, FFS)...

We continue to learn that playing 1st h & full game Unders in PT is a goldmine: 32-12* combined to this point of the season, 6-0* in Week 7 alone.

*line dependent: some might have experienced a push or 2 instead of an Under.

After watching Matt Cassel yesterday, I've learned the NCAA needs to start doing a way better job of producing NFL ready quarterbacks. How else do you explain him getting chance after chance while a bunch of former college QB's are probably working full time at Foot Locker (even I could see Rodgers Cromartie was ready to jump that route, FFS)...

It's more to do with the NFL not adapting to the talent put to them

If you don't start with QB's as your first level of analysis in a game then you're going seriously off track. This is a hugely QB dominant league at this point, and the curve is steep.

The Cowboys are now 77-48 in games started by Romo, 6-12 in games he missed.

That said, it's apparent that his presence masks a few faults the team has:

1) In ability to force turnovers. Zero turnovers For in these 4 losses, 7 turnovers against. That is a huge hole to dig. The pass rush has improved, but the ball skills of the secondary are still terrible.

2) Failure to adequately replace Dwayne Harris on special teams. Came back to bite them doubly hard this past week.

Both these faults combine to force a non-stop succession of long fields to drive, something a star QB can overcome, but not your run of the mill journeyman.

It's more to do with the NFL not adapting to the talent put to them

I think it all starts on the offensive line & it all stems from coaching in high school. There is not enough emphasis on fundamentals in the trenches and it trickles down all the way down to the Pros. The NFL cannot do anything but adapt to what the colleges give them..... ie) the introduction of the wildcat offense :hang:.... unfortunately the poor development of the players coming in recent times does not measure up to the talent that is in the league already.... so those poorly developed players get pushed down the line..... in time the product will keep getting worse and worse

The demise of football :tiphat:

I think it all starts on the offensive line & it all stems from coaching in high school. There is not enough emphasis on fundamentals in the trenches and it trickles down all the way down to the Pros. The NFL cannot do anything but adapt to what the colleges give them..... ie) the introduction of the wildcat offense :hang:.... unfortunately the poor development of the players coming in recent times does not measure up to the talent that is in the league already.... so those poorly developed players get pushed down the line..... in time the product will keep getting worse and worse

The demise of football :tiphat:

yes i guess i am going to come off like a dick but whatever. nbafan, when was the last time you were at a HS practice and watch what the OL was being taught? I would bet you have no idea what the fundamentals of OL play are, so where do you pull this statement? if the HS kids are not being taught fundamentals what are they being taught? please do tell...

introduction of the wildcat? dude thats been around since the 60's, called the single wing.. its not some new crazzzyyyyy thing.

:tiphat:

last night i learned how dumb fucking coaches can be(nothing new)..
zona has palmer run a pass play that he throws away, clock stops. zona could have run the ball 3 straight times and punted giving balt 1:05 left max with no timeouts. instead they throw an incomplete pass and end up giving the ball back with 2 min left, unreal.
Balt gets it inside the 10, no chance that happens with 1:05 left to start the drive

last night i learned how dumb fucking coaches can be(nothing new)..
zona has palmer run a pass play that he throws away, clock stops. zona could have run the ball 3 straight times and punted giving balt 1:05 left max with no timeouts. instead they throw an incomplete pass and end up giving the ball back with 2 min left, unreal.
Balt gets it inside the 10, no chance that happens with 1:05 left to start the drive

Saw that. Almost scripted.

Arians way too smart to call that play, would understand if it was Pagano or Fat Andy. Call came from elsewhere.

Ravens said they couldn't comminucate with the players on the filed during the last drive.....2nd or 3rd time this season this kinda shit has popped up...

very shady that home teams can make the other team go "radio silent"

Saw that. Almost scripted.

Arians way too smart to call that play, would understand if it was Pagano or Fat Andy. Call came from elsewhere.

lol, you don't ever stop do you? Yep, the NFL probably called the play(s) in, it's definitely fixed. I'd imagine you're tongue-in-cheek with most of this fixing stuff, because if you're not I can't understand why you'd continue to watch and bet on it.

Fact is, even some of the best coaches in the NFL are completely clueless when it comes to clock management (and challenges, 4th downs, going for 2, etc)...seems that Arians is no different in that regard. I think I should start a kickstarter for my 'common sense coach' idea...problem is it's not money that's needed, it's just one team that has the wherewithal to admit that their coach is not as smart as they would believe and they need help with the areas of the game that should be relatively easy to figure out.

Ravens said they couldn't comminucate with the players on the filed during the last drive.....2nd or 3rd time this season this kinda shit has popped up...

very shady that home teams can make the other team go "radio silent"

Yeah, it's been happening since they started using radio communication on the sidelines though. Agree that it is shady, but it has probably happened in every NFL city at one time or another.

he thought he was going to be a stud too and bought into his own hype. He's dumb as hell and doesn't study the playbook. He has no idea what's going on out there. Very tentative on returns too. He has the talent, no question. But the mental game is severely lacking.

He should have gotten off the substance. Football Johnny did, and now he reads the playbook and may actually start Sunday.

Josh Gordon would be destroying the league if he could get off the substance. The record he set is untouchable! (despite me not remembering exactly what it is at the moment.

Back