What did we learn after 1 week of CFB?

Josh Allen still looks highly volatile and unpredictable, surprised NFL is as high on them as some say. Or maybe the some (media people) are saying that and I would have to think real NFL scouts would proceed very cautiously. Doesn't appear to be somebody I'd want to risk a high draft pick and big contract on.

Iowa's short yardage defense was amazing, but it was just vs a MWC team.

ASU offensive line likely to struggle in pass protect all year
UCF defense has taken a step back. QB still awful (while throwing for a billion yards) but some decent targets. They will struggle running the ball. They pass protected well but FIU dropped into zones and lost their best defender to ejection early so shrug. But possibly a more overish team with better offense and lesser defense year over year.
UTEP QB looks pretty solid and the oline looks ok. They cannot tackle anyone. Pace is slow but otherwise they would make for a good over team in conference as it looks like they will lean on the pass a little bit more this year.
FIU QB McCough looks the same as last year. FIU blew a ton of zone coverages in the game vs ucf. They lost an important piece due to ejection and had to shuffle some of the secondary around. Not sure if that played into it or not but same side of the field lost a deep receiver twice. rush defense looked manageable though. I think their pace will be slower than average.
Indiana Looks like they are going to try and go warp speed with Lagow and throw a lot. Makes for overs. Defense gassed vs tosu.
Michigan Doesn't look like they are taking the step back most expected. Offense seems in line with prior recent years, so does defense, though it was a depleted Florida who isn't good offense when not depleted.
Okst Look like a more complete team. Defense playing harder and tackling. Offense is what you would expect.
Iowa Team just lacks the skill players to be really good. They are going to do all the little things right and do well in most games on at least one of the two lines of scrimmage.
S Carolina I think their offensive line has improved. Bentley is decent and has some playmakers.
Notre Dame Was not impressed with defensive effort but was impressed with Wimbush.
UGA Defense is improved, offense has potential to be more balanced than in the past. Contender
Liberty good to see liberty and justice prevail against a school that believes in neither
UNLV lost as a 45 point favorite. Think of how bad a team has to be for UNLV to be favored by 45points. They lost to that team. Gonna be a long year.
BYU Slow and skill position issues.
Colorado Impressive defense, Offense going to be a struggle. Good under team
Boston College Won't be able to consistently move it against teams they cannot run on. Secondary looked very sketchy. Overall look similar to other versions of the squad from this coach. Brown can't throw a nerf to his little brother in the back yard.
Rutgers Unless it was a specific game strategy, they will be a slower paced team while running the Kill offense. I think Washington was flat so don't want to read too much into the defensive performance but the team looks better prepared and coached.
Texas Same old horns team. Hard to figure out how they are bad unless the recruiting scores are bad.
Terps Look improved defensively and it looks like piggy got better in the offseason

Reactions: KJ
Love how you formatted that VK, that made for some easy reading and thx for the thought on some of these games as I was only able to watch a couple with the tennis.

Was st the game last night. LSU has a really really impressive freshman class....I'm not ready to say this 2011 sick, and they might be a year away(I think next year this defense will be Bama bad ass (for lack of better compare lol)

Etling was pedestrian.....LSU ran a bunch, but that seemed to be what the Mormons gave em

LSU held BYU to 5 net rush yards......they didn't cross the 50 (sound familiar Bammers lol).....and held BYU to...38 total plays

Lotta kids missed the game and Ed O is keeping it in house but we woulda made headlines with the 13 kids that sat they ass in BR

BYU looks really bad tho.....I am a big believer in for got what you saw last week in the pros....but I saw what I saw vs Portland st

Brandon Harris looked the same to me......I assume Surrat will get the nod next week

I really wanted Harris to get a fresh start in an offense more suited for him, but even Fedora can't fix him. He is just not bright.

That Clemson QB looks pretty fucking good to me. It was the Golden flashes, but he had nice touch on the balls and he can move.....seemingly more than Deshaun

Texas fans will need to be patient. Herman is getting his kids in and is doing nicely on the recruiting trail( on paper anyway).......BUT I have to go back to something VK said a while ago about TX recruiting....are these kids rated properly? I hear that they have the players, but I don't see it. I truly believe Herman will get this thing going and I like the kids he has coming in so far next year.....at least he has tempered expectations early lol.
I asked in another thread but I think I saw/heard booing and items thrown on the field. Very unlike UT I would think...

Shea Patterson is good. Ole Miss WRs are good. Will they ever get a RB? Jesus, I mean Deuce Mcallister the last? Maybe Dexter McCluster(but he was the smallish type they always seem to get)....have to see what they do on defense because it was shitty last year but they can play spoiler.

NC St got all the hype and it was an outta conference game, but South Carolina......Bentley is good. The East.....hmmmmmm

Fromm was lucky with his up for grab throws. He wasnt amazing or anything. Eason injury could be blessing in disguise tho. Their front 7 looked real good on D for jojah.

I didn't see a team that looked better than Michigan. They played against a fast defense and other than Speights going a tad mental, Florida wouldn't have scored a TD. On a neutral.

Let O'Korn free!

#26 for PSU will be the next Heisman. I liked what I saw from Josh Allen. His team didn't match up well vs Iowa.
Harbaugh pounded the ball vs Florida and then decided to pass late in the game when it was time to run. Play calling looked like Atlanta in the SB. Too many mistakes by FSU to hang. 3 good games remaining in week 1!

Brandon Harris looked the same to me......I assume Surrat will get the nod next week

I really wanted Harris to get a fresh start in an offense more suited for him, but even Fedora can't fix him. He is just not bright.

That Clemson QB looks pretty fucking good to me. It was the Golden flashes, but he had nice touch on the balls and he can move.....seemingly more than Deshaun

Texas fans will need to be patient. Herman is getting his kids in and is doing nicely on the recruiting trail( on paper anyway).......BUT I have to go back to something VK said a while ago about TX recruiting....are these kids rated properly? I hear that they have the players, but I don't see it. I truly believe Herman will get this thing going and I like the kids he has coming in so far next year.....at least he has tempered expectations early lol.
I asked in another thread but I think I saw/heard booing and items thrown on the field. Very unlike UT I would think...

Shea Patterson is good. Ole Miss WRs are good. Will they ever get a RB? Jesus, I mean Deuce Mcallister the last? Maybe Dexter McCluster(but he was the smallish type they always seem to get)....have to see what they do on defense because it was shitty last year but they can play spoiler.

NC St got all the hype and it was an outta conference game, but South Carolina......Bentley is good. The East.....hmmmmmm

There were a few jackasses that threw stuff on the field. Even one person doing this is pathetic.

Yesterday's loss wasn't about the athletes. It was purely about the coaching and play calling. Microcosm. a 4th and goal from the 3. Our best play call? To flood one corner of the field with 4 receivers and 6 Maryland defenders in the vicinity.

I really like Herman and he has a long leash here. But the last thing we expected to see yesterday was a game littered with decisions and tendencies we saw from Strong over 3 seasons.

img}

Kentucky is a team I've had my eye on as a possible deep sleeper in the SEC East. Loved this week 1 matchup with the added revenge factor since I first started looking at games back in May. I saw a real advantage on offense in the trenches v. the Southern Miss defense. That advantage never materialized. Offensive line was repeatedly stood up at the point of attack by the USM defense. The defense did a nice job, but if not for an ill-advised fake punt call by Southern Miss and a freak fumble that flew about 20 yards backwards straight into running lane of a UK defender for an easy scoop-n-score... I'm not sure Kentucky even wins this one outright. Most disappointing (and costly) game from a capping perspective for me.

I thought the same EFC. In retrospect, laying 10 on the road with uk against any team with half of a pulse is probably not the way we are going to get rich.

As for Texas.

It is my gut feeling (and nothing more) that we just don't have players that care about football first. Oklahoma does. Alabama does. Auburn does. Michigan does. Ohio State does. We are a big school team where the players are far more dedicated to their next hit off the weed bong or the next lay than they are about preparing for football. I am not saying that they are all making a bad choice in that, you only live once and texas college girls need not take a backseat (pun intended) to anyone. But until we have a team of players dedicated to football, we will continue to be a bunch of underachievers. There was nothing positive to take away from that game. Nothing. Penalties were devastating, special teams we allowed YET ANOTHER blocked fg (how can we not figure this out?), rush defense had holes, pass defense had holes, rush offense underachieved, pass offense was ok but pass protect was bad and bad coaching. awful.

City culture plays a role. I have been saying it for awhile and I believe it to be true.

To be fair, Terps have been a team on the edge who have gone through some injuries and their own underachievements and maybe they figured some stuff out. But dang.

We got those shiny new $10,000 lockers for each player and they only appear to have added to the stench of entitlement / softness that has permeated the program since losing to Bama in the '10 championship. We'll see if Herman ultimately puts a dent in that shit.

It's a great point that Austin now may just be to great a city (geographically) to field a polished football team, same point I think I tried to make about Vegas.

UGA's OL is still their weak link. No push by the guards on the interior. The pass protection was better at the tackle spots but it was App St. The LT is truly a LG and the RT is a true freshman. Kirby rotated in a ton of OL to try to find a mix all game long but nothing really clicked. The only positive for the ND game is that ND's weak link is their DL. Chubb and Sony are really going to need to create their own lanes to have any luck as of right now.

Fromm was lucky with his up for grab throws. He wasnt amazing or anything. Eason injury could be blessing in disguise tho. Their front 7 looked real good on D for jojah.
Defense will be salty this year. That front 7 is deep too and will rotate to keep fresh bodies.

UGA's OL is still their weak link. No push by the guards on the interior. The pass protection was better at the tackle spots but it was App St. The LT is truly a LG and the RT is a true freshman. Kirby rotated in a ton of OL to try to find a mix all game long but nothing really clicked. The only positive for the ND game is that ND's weak link is their DL. Chubb and Sony are really going to need to create their own lanes to have any luck as of right now.

I dunno man, that line was wearing appy out. Appy is no joke. UGA is hella good no matter who is qb 1

If Kellen Mond is the no. 2 QB, something has gone horribly wrong with the program. Maybe Chad can grab a surplus QB or two from Clemson when he takes over.

App state was a top 20 run defense last year, depending on how you want to define that. Gave up over 200 to uga on the ground. Only gave up over 200 once last year. Hard to knock the uga oline tooooo much. Temple ran it on ndame....

The coaching in this sport has hit an all-time low with how lost some of these guys are. Truly believe yesterday's UCLA/A&M game may have been the worst coached game I've ever watched. Both guys, one per half, having absolutely zero idea what in the hell they were doing and/or how, when or why to make even the slightest of adjustments. Makes the guys like JH, UM and Sir Nick even higher on the IQ scale when compared to some of the neanderthals running CFB teams.

That being said, one thing I saw that went unnoticed by most, but showed a guy who has an ability to think beyond a simplistic level of strategy was the new coach Wilcox at Cal, the former Badger DC. Cal was up 2 scores with about 2 minutes to go and playing the traditional prevent defense for the most part...as the clock got further and further run down (and with the Carolina running QB in the game), he had his guys literally hold on every single play to get the penalties called and kill more of the clock. And I don't mean grab a jersey hold, I mean take the guy and throw him to the ground and lay on him...while barbaric and completely non-traditional...the guy knew every penalty he took would only help him in killing more time and never even allowing Carolina a chance to get an opportunity for an onside kick.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but all I can think of was John Harbaugh having his team hold every 49er in the SB when they had to punt so they could take the safety and kill the clock because that was a great strategy. Any time I see a guy do something smart on the sidelines, which is ever so rare in the sport today, I make a mental note. Understand the game situation and what you need to do to win.

yep
If Summy has Mond hold the ball to just 2 seconds on the clock instead of snapping with 20 left, Ucla doesn't get one, maybe two, more drives.

The coaching in this sport has hit an all-time low with how lost some of these guys are. Truly believe yesterday's UCLA/A&M game may have been the worst coached game I've ever watched. Both guys, one per half, having absolutely zero idea what in the hell they were doing and/or how, when or why to make even the slightest of adjustments. Makes the guys like JH, UM and Sir Nick even higher on the IQ scale when compared to some of the neanderthals running CFB teams.

That being said, one thing I saw that went unnoticed by most, but showed a guy who has an ability to think beyond a simplistic level of strategy was the new coach Wilcox at Cal, the former Badger DC. Cal was up 2 scores with about 2 minutes to go and playing the traditional prevent defense for the most part...as the clock got further and further run down (and with the Carolina running QB in the game), he had his guys literally hold on every single play to get the penalties called and kill more of the clock. And I don't mean grab a jersey hold, I mean take the guy and throw him to the ground and lay on him...while barbaric and completely non-traditional...the guy knew every penalty he took would only help him in killing more time and never even allowing Carolina a chance to get an opportunity for an onside kick.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but all I can think of was John Harbaugh having his team hold every 49er in the SB when they had to punt so they could take the safety and kill the clock because that was a great strategy. Any time I see a guy do something smart on the sidelines, which is ever so rare in the sport today, I make a mental note. Understand the game situation and what you need to do to win.

The athletes and coaches like to say that when things go wrong, it is just a microcosm of society. In the case of stupidity, I think that might actually be accurate for a change.

Athletes and Coaches are stupid. The sooner we accept it, the easier our lives will become.

Falcons refuse to run the ball and give away a super bowl
Patriots refuse to call a timeout as the clock is running down which should have cost them a super bowl
Seahawks refuse to run the ball and give away a super bowl (some would argue that the same coach cost his team a national title by not using his second best back as a decoy in the usc-texas game on fourth and 1).
Saban fg attempt choices against Auburn the year of the kick return td were awful.

When you have coaches like Belicheat and Saban still being idiots, what do you expect of the rest? And Belicheat has to be considered the greatest football coach of all time.

It's sad.

I will never forget, in a one score game ... watson brown punted to his opponent who then took knees.

Brandon Harris was awful. Shame on Fedora feeling tied to the guy and continuing to play him throughout the game when Surrat was clearly better.

A bit heartbroken at the finish last night. But damnit, i love coach PJ. They have dynamic qb and thats what happens with untested college kickers have to do it real. I think TEN needs to switch QBs and head coach for that matter, lucky sobs

Stidham not as good as everyone says he is.

he is not the savior

That was the feeling I got in the limited action I saw. I mean, he looks like a perfectly good college QB, but I didn't see anything that says he is something special. Maybe he is, I don't know. Good news for AU is that their defense may be good enough that all they need at QB is average to above average. I still question how he will fit into what Gus wants to do on offense when they go up against better offenses. We will hopefully learn a lot this weekend

Back