What are you doing at QB this year?

Gandolf

Leader of the Van Buren Boys
My initial thought was making sure I get one of the early guys within the top six rounds (Mahomes, Allen, Dak, Kyler, Lamar, Russell), but with so many of the new kids looking like they'll be starting if not week one but shortly after, I wonder if it makes more sense to grab someone like Hurts or Tannehill later and then take a flyer on one of Lawrence, Lance, Fields, Wilson or Jones, keeping those top 6 picks on RB/WR/TE.

I think if one goes late on QB then you'd also have to go early on TE. I can't see going late on both positions this year. I'm drafting 7th of 12 in one league and thinking of locking in Kelce at 1 and then focusing on WR/RB rounds 2-8. Then start looking at QB, and take a flyer on rookie QB late. The RBs turn into hope picks by round 5, WRs can be OK up to round 8. After that QB would be fillable, then D, then take some flyers last few rounds.

I won a few times but no season was better than the one I drafted Peyton in the 6th round...takes trusting that QB enough but it wasn't a PPR league which changes things

I've never really been a draft a top QB. Waited last year and got Tannehill. I don't think Herbert was drafted in my 12 team league.

Totally agree on TE though and QB though. Another reason I wait on qbs, is I usually grab a premiere TE. I only see 6 TEs this year and then a huge drop-off. Logan Thomas or Fant maybe?

TE seems to be the most difficult gauge for me because in our biggest league, they were treated as WR...as in you didn't have to carry one

I'd probably be OK waiting and taking Burrow then maybe adding one of the rookies.

Mac becomes an appealing rookie now, not because they cut Cam but it's almost like Hoodie wants to play some dare ya game now. He might have more interceptions than CrabLegs but I could see him throwing 50 times/game

Last year I waited on QB and thought I was clever and picked up Hayden Hurst as like TE #8. Ended up streaming/chasing QBs all year before finally getting Roethlisberger in week 11 right as the bottom starting falling out of their season. Snuck into the playoffs but got routed in the opening round.

No way I'm waiting on both spots again. But with Lawrence, Jones and Wilson all starting week 1, and Fields and Lance not far behind, there may be late round lightning in the rookie class this year.

I'd never go in on Trevor...if you're waiting out a QB, I highly suggest thinking of it as drafting a team on offense, not the individual. Kinda seems like Lawrence is taking a massive step down when it comes to talent around him. Not that Mac or Zach are in a better situation, guess I'd prefer Fields out of those, Lance will have a ton of talent around him but I still think he's a couple years away

I'd never go in on Trevor...if you're waiting out a QB, I highly suggest thinking of it as drafting a team on offense, not the individual. Kinda seems like Lawrence is taking a massive step down when it comes to talent around him. Not that Mac or Zach are in a better situation, guess I'd prefer Fields out of those, Lance will have a ton of talent around him but I still think he's a couple years away
In general I agree and will be looking to avoid guys from bottom 10 offenses as much as possible. The question is whether one of these guys can elevate their offense to mid-tier the way Herbert did. In that respect the surrounding talent would need to be OK though.

PFF ranks the OLs on these rookie QB teams as follows:

Patriots #3
Niners #9

Jets #22
Jax #23
Bears #28

Receiving weapons:

Patriots - Bourne, Agholor, Meyers, Jonnu, Henry, J White ----meh
Niners - Aiyuk, Deebo, Sanu, Kittle, Mostert -----nice group
Jets - Davis, Mims, Crowder, Moore, Herndon, Coleman -----woof
Jax - Chark, Marvin Jones, Shenault, Dorsett II, Manhertz, Robinson -----average group
Bears - Robinson, Mooney, Goodwin, Kmet, Cohen - underrated group

I would say between coaching and surrounding talent, the guy in the best position to succeed is Lance, followed by Jones and Lawrence.

Jax pass protection scares the living daylights out of me, plus Etienne was supposed to help catch some passes out of the backfield but he‘s done for the year. Chark needs to stay healthy this year because without him the O takes an even steeper dive. That being said Lawrence‘s apparent growth has been exciting to track.

I keep hearing scary things about Burrow‘s post-injury progress in camp and about Herbert‘s new offense

So I ended up drafting 9th in a 10 teamer, 1/2 pt ppr. Grabbed Rhein Dakota in Round 6 after missing out on the big 3 TEs. With the 1/2 ppr I felt Chubb was a little better choice than Kelce in Round 1 and then got sniped by the #10 drafter.

Ended up with Diggs in round 2, K Allen in round 3, CEH was still there in round 4 so I scooped him up, could've taken Pitts. Round 5 saw a run on Kupp, Coop, Woods and Thielen right in front of me, so I took D Harris based on the Cam cut. Could've taken Hunt who went right after, probably a mistake on my part. Then Dak.

TE ended up being Fant in Round 12, so we'll see. Did pick up some nice spare pieces in Tee Higgins, Boyd, Gaskin and Michel, so I'm not too worried about the potential errors. Also like that I took both Tampa D and Buffalo D. They both rate in the Top 3 in terms of opposing offense schedules. Yahoo graded it out as a B+, second best of the ten. The top rated had the #1 pick and started CMac, Mahomes and Nuk, which is pretty fierce.

Back