Western Conference First Round Discussion Thread...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I am going to start one for each conference for now. We can add series prices and lines when they become available...

(1) Golden State vs (8) Portland

(2) San Antonio vs (7) Memphis

(3) Houston vs (6) Oklahoma City

(4) LA Clippers vs (5) Utah

[TABLE="class: lines"]
<tbody>[TR="class: linesSubHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"]<small>Memphis Grizzlies vs San Antonio Spurs - Series Winner - Best of Seven</small>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesRow"]
[TD]Sat 4/15[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]1805 Memphis Grizzlies (Series)[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M1_6" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> +650 [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesRowBot"]
[TD]8:00PM[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]1806 San Antonio Spurs (Series)[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M2_6" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> -1350 [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesSubHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"]<small>Utah Jazz vs Los Angeles Clippers - Series Winner - Best of Seven</small>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Sat 4/15[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]1807 Utah Jazz (Series)[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M1_7" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> +130 [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]10:30PM[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]1808 Los Angeles Clippers (Series)[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M2_7" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> -170 [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Yes, I am assuming as of tonight that the Clippers can beat the Kings tomorrow night for HCA in the first round.

Some quick personal thoughts...

-No one is going on the ledge predicting a Golden State series win against Portland but I think this will be ugly to be honest. I have one In-Game approach I will be using for the series hopefully a time or two. I think that Dame props will be big here. He is going down shooting, bottom line. I really don't think that Portland can steal a game at this point unless they have Crabbe-Cakes be on absolute fire and the rest of the team score at a steady clip as well.

-I really just cannot get excited for the Spurs and Memphis for obvious reasons. The match-up is missing 'sex appeal'. It is what it is to be honest. It is a series I'll have to dive into a bit more research-wise as I mostly left these teams alone this season for a myriad of reasons.

-If this was pre-2003 and we still had 5-game first round series the possibilities would be endless with Russ and OKC perhaps getting hot against the Rockets. In a shorter series, a Superstar can maybe carry a team to an upset or at least push it to the brink. Unfortunately here, this is a regular length series and Houston has basically had their way with the Thunder. Houston will not be rusty. Anderson has come back strong it seems and their guys were not resting and getting complacent down the stretch. Beard got a few breaks which was prolly needed so we'll see what happens. This sounds like Houston in 6, maybe 5. Westbrook and Jimmy props will be way inflated, as they have been since late-January. Pick your poison.

-The Clippers have absolutely owned the Jazz. The Clippers are starting to play some good ball and getting cohesive again after the injuries. This would be so 'Jazz-like' to win this series just to mess with the collective minds of the NBA Forum though. I think Blake has a real strong playoffs for what it is worth(you can take that as a hint).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I think the first round blows for entertainment purposes. I'm here for the betting purposes and to see what kinda noise Russ can make. The 2nd round brings the intrigue with a great rivalry and a heck of a match-up down in Texas.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall out West, Houston struggles with S.A and Utah it seems. S.A. cannot match up with G.S. Utah could be a thorn in the side of someone if they advance past the Clippers. Jimmy Harden has some mental issue against Golden State. I think things break down pretty simple here but there are games to be played.

I really hope Thunder can make it a series against the Rockets. I also think that they have pretty good roster after adding Taj and Doug. I don't trust Donovan to be honest, to find the right rotations, but if he can... Rockets are mediocre defensive team and if Thunder can exploit that and Rockets have 1 - 2 poor shooting nights... Rockets still obvious favorites though...
I wonder if NBA waits to see the outcome of the series to announce MVP...

It's so hard to trust the Clippers in postseason. But Utah... I never know what to expect from this team (and didn't watch one whole game of the Jazz), so will skip the series, at least in the early games... But it can be a great series. If Clippers lose the first round, can't imagine them not making some big change in the summer and it's very interesting if Utah can show they are a force to respect in the future seasons...

GSW - Portland is pretty boring series, agree with everything BAR said. Portland probably the most comfortable team for the Warriors. No inside presence, bad defense from their guards and it's very hard to outscore the Warriors. Rockets and Blazers on paper best match ups for the Dubs. Can easily see some high scores here in general.

SA - Memphis is an interesting series. It's hard not to respect Memphis that continue to grind it out, preferring to keep their good players, knowing their limits and not go for a rebuild. Memphis defense is something that you need to respect, but against smart coach like Pop, it would be surprising to see them win more than a game, but it can easily be pretty close series scores wise. 4 - 1 Spurs win, but can easily see Memphis winning 3 - 2 ATS wise...

The East may be more interesting this year lol...... The Cavs keep up with the BS, then We The North or Wiz could be a problem

Celtics can't....great year, but it ain't happening IMO

Hawks.... BAR likes em it seems but idk

The East may be more interesting this year lol...... The Cavs keep up with the BS, then We The North or Wiz could be a problem

Celtics can't....great year, but it ain't happening IMO

Hawks.... BAR likes em it seems but idk

Yeah,

Like not at all.

Big Spurs fan here, season tix for years
I am worried about the Spurs, for the first time in years they are not peaking like usual.
Pop usually plays around with lineups etc all season and tweaks things etc
Day to day it may look bad but usually bigger picture is things start to gel in the final month.
This year is different, especially the past two weeks the defense has been really bad.
Hoping I am seeing things wrong but others in SA sharing above concerns. Just my 2 cents

CHSGTMD, lifelong Spurs fan here as well. I agree something is not right with this team. Parker/Mills have been crap as of late, Aldridge is not what I thought he would be, and the offense is not good when Kahwi is off. Defense has been bad as you mentioned. With that said, Pop owns D' Antoni so I think we beat Houston. My concern is Tony Allen is one of the best defensive players in the league and not many people remember what he did to Durant in the 2014 playoffs. I think that series with Memphis will go seven games. Where is our offense going to come from if he somewhat shuts down Kahwi?

My prediction, a very hard-fought series with Memphis that will probably go seven. If we get past the Grizz, we beat Houston and then lose to the Dubs in five or six. Kills me to type that but trying to be realistic.

[TD="colspan: 8"]<small>Memphis Grizzlies at San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Playoffs First Round - Game 1</small>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Sat 4/15[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]1505 Memphis Grizzlies[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="S1_2" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> +9 -110[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M1_2" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> +425 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="L1_2" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> o193 -110 [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]8:00PM[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]1506 San Antonio Spurs[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="S2_2" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> -9 -110 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M2_2" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> -550 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="L2_2" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> u193 -110 [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesSubHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"]<small>Utah Jazz at Los Angeles Clippers - Western Conference Playoffs First Round - Game 1</small>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Sat 4/15[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]1507 Utah Jazz[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="S1_3" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> +5 -110[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M1_3" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> +175 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="L1_3" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> o200½ -110 [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]10:30PM[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]1508 Los Angeles Clippers[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="S2_3" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> -5 -110 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M2_3" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> -210 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="L2_3" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> u200½ -110 [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[TD="colspan: 8"]<small>Portland Trail Blazers at Golden State Warriors - Western Conference Playoffs First Round - Game 1</small>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Sun 4/16[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]1511 Portland Trail Blazers[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="S1_9" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> +13 -110[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M1_9" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> +1000 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="L1_9" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> o222½ -110 [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]3:30PM[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]1512 Golden State Warriors[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="S2_9" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> -13 -110 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M2_9" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> -1500 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="L2_9" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> u222½ -110 [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[TD="colspan: 8"]<small>Oklahoma City Thunder at Houston Rockets - Western Conference Playoffs First Round - Game 1</small>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Sun 4/16[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]1515 Oklahoma City Thunder[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="S1_11" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> +6½ -110[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M1_11" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> +220 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="L1_11" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> o226 -110 [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]9:00PM[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]1516 Houston Rockets[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="S2_11" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> -6½ -110 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M2_11" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> -260 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="L2_11" size="4" style="font-size: 1em; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); text-size-adjust: none;"> u226 -110 [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I think Utah wins the series, but even if people disagree, i think backing Utah ats blindly in every game will be profitable in the end whether they win the series or not. Team is healthy literally for the first time all year, that's a 60-65 team at full health especially with a full starting 5.

Clips also just a miserable team that doesn't have a distinct matchup advantage against Utah now that Favors is back. You have one team trending upward and another undeniably trending downward.

Would be really surprised if OKC doesn't earn a split in the first two games. Also, the longer that series goes the juicier unders will get one. Their matchups often become grind it out, no ball movement slugfests when close in the 4th. Not nearly enough possessions to hit over's at the #'s we'll see, but I expect that kind of style to kick in only later in the series.

-No one is going on the ledge predicting a Golden State series win against Portland but I think this will be ugly to be honest. I have one In-Game approach I will be using for the series hopefully a time or two. I think that Dame props will be big here. He is going down shooting, bottom line. I really don't think that Portland can steal a game at this point unless they have Crabbe-Cakes be on absolute fire and the rest of the team score at a steady clip as well.

plus Moe Harkless can take 3's again, that will help them

The physicality OKC can bring to this series may get them home. Outside of Beverly, this is a soft-ass team.

Gonna be a possession game and lately the Rox have had major 'cold' periods where they collectively freeze.

Fun series either way.

Spurs v Grizz is gonna be a streetfight and as BAR said will get really dirty ugly at times.

Spurs will struggle in the paint and Marc will murk Pau on multiple occasions.

That being said, Pops and Kawhi will find a way to squeak this one out.

Think the Clips win the series but I have been dead wrong in anything I have said or thought about the Jizz.

Will take a deeper look at this one later or put it on ignore.

The chalk generally always wins the first round, btw.

Least confident in the Rockets, Raps and Spurs to advance from a gambling standpoint.

On the fence with the Wiz, playoff Wittman was bad - playoff Scotty can be real bad.

Would love a Cavs v Wiz series, just awesome.

think i agree with the MEM love, especially now that they started to shoot 3s this season

...but in reality my favorite team is whoever plays the Dubs

Tony Allen OUT indefinitely, Grizz hopes took a tumble now.

Dude a massive loss in this street fight of a series.

Well now Spurs are the same price as Cavs to win their series, that one may well be unwatchable but should give SA a chance to gain the momentum everyone's concerned about

People really underestimate the Jazz , they take warriors to 6 if t hey get there maybe 7

People really underestimate the Jazz , they take warriors to 6 if t hey get there maybe 7

I think the toughest opponent for Utah is the Clippers...

Then Warriors...

Then Spurs...

Then Thunder...

Then Rockets...

I think the Jazz/Clips series goes 7 and that's why it was so important to get HCA in this series. Clips in 7.

Dubs in 5.

Spurs in 6.

Houston in 6. They have one guy to stop: RW. Patrick Beverley will do everything in his power to frustrate RW and I think he can frustrate him. We know the history between them. And Beverley has no problem using his 6 fouls and physically hit/bump RW into frustration shots and that scowl he has when he doesn't get the call lol.

What do you guys think about the total for game 1 LAC/Utah? I'm liking the UNDER 201.5 They played four times this year totaling 203, 222, 160, and 163. Being it's the playoffs, I think it has a slow half court feel to this game. Taking the UNDER game 1 though can be tough cause they got all this built up energy and just want to run. Maybe an in game UNDER if they start off hot. And I see the total of their games slowly go down as the series gets into game 2, 3, 4 etc.

Ha, that was the only total that stood out to me as over but I do like the late Saturday night overs, festive atmosphere, etc...but doubt I pull the trigger because I typically lean under in the playoffs in general, especially game 1 where both teams are trying to set the tempo for the series.

With Allen out you still think Grizz win 2 games? If so, some ML bets might be in your future.

Clips also just a miserable team that doesn't have a distinct matchup advantage against Utah now that Favors is back. You have one team trending upward and another undeniably trending downward.

Would be really surprised if OKC doesn't earn a split in the first two games. Also, the longer that series goes the juicier unders will get one. Their matchups often become grind it out, no ball movement slugfests when close in the 4th. Not nearly enough possessions to hit over's at the #'s we'll see, but I expect that kind of style to kick in only later in the series.

Agree and hope we get a couple of lower scoring games to bring down the totals to a reasonable number later in the series

With Nurkic, the blazers could maybe have had a shot to keep things interesting. Without him
they should lose by an average of 15 ppg this series

Just hit the OVER 54 1Q for dubs game. 1Q OVERS 4-1 so far these playoffs. Seems like a low number with two offensive teams with scorers.

This doesn't bode well for my Spurs team totals and the Kawhi prop I'm getting ready to play

C9q89KDVYAAmTHM.jpg:small

Better complaint is why that team is even in the playoffs. You're lucky the league lets 16/30 in...just take the payday and call it a season

Now the Grizz have to go with the 'Take That For Data' and 'Not Gonna Rook Us' t-shirts for Game 3, anything else is unacceptable.

Any t-shirt savvy dude in Memphis is printing them up right now to make a buck.

Back