West Virginia

We looked great on offense. Not much running, but a lot of throwing the ball. White was dead on and of the 8 incompletions, I'd say 4 were drops that were on the money. Our defense, however, looked suspect. The passing d was playing waaaay off of the receivers and Nova could complete passes at will. There has been a lot of talk around here that the staff was keeping everything on d pretty vanilla. The offense was too. There was a lot of passing but I believe the playbook was kept small, so as not to show much to ECU. We'll get a better read as to what was held back and what might really be suspect this week. I know our D-line and linebackers will be excellent. Our D-backs are all young and inexperienced with the exception of Ellis Lankster at corner and Quentin Andrews at safety. Pass rush should be solid, though, to keep a little pressure off. Offense is loaded once again with a coaching staff that has integrated more seam routes and downfield passing, as opposed to bubble passes. We never did this under Rodriguez aside from throwing downfield to Chris Henry. It should provide more balance when teams stack the line to stop the backs and White. Hope that helps.

I watched ECU vs VT and although ECU won SU, VT had a couple chances to put the foot on the throat of ECU to pull away. It seems like VT lacked the playmakers to do anything though (ie Sean Glennon, no real threat of WRs). We've all seen how ECU had the blocked punt which accounted for 1 of their TDs. ECU looked mostly dysfunctional on offense throughout the game.

Are you resident WVU people laying the 7.5 on Pat White & co. ?

I am SERIOUSLY considering laying the -7 (-120). I agree about the playmakers and the offensive brainpower. If VT had an inkling of either, they would have won SU and may have covered. WVU has both, although they will be down a notch compared to last year.

Any thoughts on the weather? Should be pouring. They're calling for 75% chance of rain and 20 mph winds.

The ass end of the hurricane should still be over Greenville NC, depending on how it forms, and holds up once it hits land here where I live. It it shifts back to the left at all, then the land will slow it up, and it'll be 35+mph winds right at game time.

3 of the 6 computer models have it going further west than the projected track, and the other 3 are all in the same place.

I think its supposed to rain a good bit on Friday as well.

I'll be watching this system closely, because it will be making landfall where I live.

Yes, I am waiting because I assume with a lot of people calling WVU overrated and ECU getting a lot of press it won't go anywhere but down. I do like WVU -7.5 though.

About the O-line, every single starter returned from last year, they will be fine. We also have great depth at that position. Many "experts" and I use that term loosely, have our O-line in the top 3 in the country. Like I said earlier, it's hard to take much positive or negative out of a game against a team like Villanova because it's just so hard to tell what all we would keep under our hat.

Back