West Virginia/Pittsburgh, Penn State/Purdue, Illinois/Indiana Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Group 1 (Pittsburgh-West Virginia, Penn State-Purdue, Illinois-Indiana)

Pittsburgh Panthers vs. West Virginia Mountaineers
Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 7 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Acrisure Stadium in Pittsburgh

New Offense

By (unfairly) criticizing the degree of his previous offensive coordinator's inclination to pass, Coach Narduzzi made it clear that running will become a point of emphasis for Pittsburgh's offense.

This change in offensive focus was anyhow necessitated by the departures of the team's star players at quarterback and wide receiver.

Therefore, Pittsburgh's offensive success in this game will hinge on its ability to run the ball.

Pitt's Ground Game

Pittsburgh is loaded with strong personnel in the departments of running the ball and run-blocking.

Israel Abanikanda, Rodney Hammond Jr., and Vincent Davis all return.

Last year, they amassed a combined total of 1,748 rushing yards and 16 rushing touchdowns.

In a similar vein, Pitt's entire offensive line returns. It is filled with seniors and a grad student.

West Virginia Run Defense

West Virginia's will need to do a better job of stopping the run after ranking fifth in the Big 12 in run defense last year.

But the front seven was gutted by defensive lineman Akheem Mesidor's surprise decision to transfer out of the program.

The team's leading tackler last year joined Mesidor.

There isn't enough run-stopping quality in this group beyond Dante Sills.

West Virginia's Offensive Line vs. Pittsburgh Front Seven

With probably the nation's best defensive line, Pitt will also own the trenches on the defensive side of the ball.

Key here is defensive end Habakkuk Baldonado. His nine sacks and 11.5 tackles-for-loss justify his All-ACC first-team selection.

Alongside Baldonado, Calijah Kancey returns after amassing 13 tackles for loss and seven sacks.

With his 4-2-5 scheme, Narduzzi likes to bring pressures.

So, his linebackers will get involved.

SirVocea Dennis returns after accruing 9.5 tackles-for-loss and four sacks last year while this position group remains strong with Shayne Simon bringing his starting experience as a transfer from Notre Dame.

While West Virginia returns its offensive line from last year, returning experience is a bad thing when it entails the same bad players starting again.

The Mountaineer ground game ranked last in the Big 12 last year in terms of yards per game and yards per carry.

Nationally, they ranked 100th in rate of sacks allowed.

Best Bet: Panthers -7.5 at -104 with Bookmaker

Penn State Nittany Lions vs. Purdue Boilermakers
Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 8 p.m. ET (FOX) at Ross-Ade Stadium in West Lafayette, Indiana

Purdue's Pass Attack

For its offensive production, Purdue depends heavily on its pass attack.

It will and should have confidence to pass the ball a lot because Aidan O'Connell returns after helping his team pass the ball with the sixth-highest frequency.

However, one must ask who he will throw the ball to.

Star receiver David Bell moved on to the NFL, and his team's second-leading wide receiver, Milton Wright, will miss this season because he is academically ineligible.

Penn State Secondary

While Purdue's pass attack regresses majorly in terms of quality, Penn State's secondary continues to look superb after its pass defense ranked 15thnationally last year.

Safety Ji'Ayir Brown, after accruing six interceptions last year while flexing a strong football IQ, is a positive NFL prospect as is cornerback Joey Porter Jr., whose combination of length and speed aids the effects of his imposing presence.

Can Penn State's Pass Attack Be Any Better?

From a passing perspective, Penn State quarterback Sean Clifford has disappointed throughout his career.

He struggles to complete more than 60 percent of his passes.

Meanwhile, Purdue brings back safety Cam Allen, who had four interceptions last year.

Cory Trice is also back after serving as Purdue's best coverage guy before suffering an injury.

His injury allowed for other cornerbacks to gain experience, which, alongside the transfer of Indiana cornerback Reese Taylor, adds quality depth to the Purdue secondary.

Jalen Graham, a wizard at deflecting pass attempts on passing downs, adds veteran playmaking experience to the Boilermaker pass defense.

Meanwhile, Clifford misses his top wide receiver from last year, Jahan Dotson, who he depended on rather heavily.

With Penn State annually unable to run the ball, Clifford's outlook looks hopeless.

Best Bet: Under 54.5 at -108 with Heritage

Illinois Fighting Illini vs. Indiana Hoosiers
Friday, August 28, 2022 at 8 p.m. ET (FS1) at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington, Indiana

Key Matchup Advantage Number One

Illinois will pull off the upset thanks to two key matchup advantages.

One such advantage is part of the team's overall defensive improvement under defense-oriented head coach Lovie Smith.

This improvement saw the Illini rise to sixth in total defense in the Big Ten after ranking 14thin the category in 2020.

Specifically, the Illini are strong on the defensive line where starting experience abounds with All-Big Ten fourth-teamer Jer'Zhan Newton being the most prominent figure.

This group will own the trenches against a Hoosier offensive line that struggled massively last year and did not undergo significant changes during the offseason.

Last year, nationally, Indiana ranked outside the top 100 in rushing yards per game and in the bottom half in rate of sacks allowed. It looks primed to rank so poorly again in both categories.

Matchup Advantage Number Two

On offense, Illinois will be strongest on the ground where they return Chase Brown, who eclipsed 1,000 yards rushing on 5.9 yards per carry.

Plenty of high-quality depth is in place to support Brown.

Continuity at right tackle with All-Big Ten third-teamer Alex Palczewski and a left-tackle position steeled by strong internal competition for the starting job will make running to the outside easiest for Illinois.

Meanwhile, Indiana misses the run defending of captain and middle linebacker Micah McFadden.

Best Bet: Fighting Illini +3.5 at -118 with Bookmaker

question- why is everyone think jt daniels is not a huge upgrade ?

Mounties OL was trash. but they are doing what they should be doing - scrap running ball cause you suck at it and just sling the ball. I think the upgraded their scheme and qb tremendously. Pitt would of stonewalled this team last year.

I think west virginia got some transfers in - my concern is can they pass protect. Narduzzi doesn't scare me.

Total is over all day with these 2 usc qbs if pitt had whipple - i think they may try to ground and pound

question- why is everyone think jt daniels is not a huge upgrade ?

Mounties OL was trash. but they are doing what they should be doing - scrap running ball cause you suck at it and just sling the ball. I think the upgraded their scheme and qb tremendously. Pitt would of stonewalled this team last year.

I think west virginia got some transfers in - my concern is can they pass protect. Narduzzi doesn't scare me.

Total is over all day with these 2 usc qbs if pitt had whipple - i think they may try to ground and pound

I been telling everyone who will listen I think wvu pass attack gonna be way better so I hear ya. Long as they can keep him healthy he a massive upgrade over Doege! Neers got some nice weapons on the outside too, they gonna be a lot better w Daniels at qb. Plus they brought in a oc who is gonna make them a much more modern passing attack. I feel like I’m kinda alone against lot of guys I respect but I love wvu getting 7 or more! (I’m always a pitt fan also so it odd for me to be against them).

Pitt dline is awesome but I’m not sure they the best in the country, think that honor goes to clemson but either way they are really good! Pitt always gets pressure but their secondary has been incredibly beatable when you give the qb time, im not as down on wvu oline either, I believe steele has them ranked around 30th in the country, that ain’t bad! While I’m pretty confident wvu offense is gonna drastically improve this year I think Pitt is going the other direction, there no way Slovis is on picket level, they lost one the best wr in the country to usc, the new oc is gonna do what nordozzi likes which is get back to pro style running. Pitt backs are talented but I’ve watched those some kids struggle mightily to avg a respectable ypc and Pickett had to continually take over. I don’t think wvu d gonna be a pushover against the run. Pretty much everyone I respect around here likes pitt it seems so maybe I’m off my rocker but I think this a close game both teams get into the 20s. Wouldn’t shock me at all if wvu pulled the upset but I’ll just happily take as many points I can get in what I think a really good game!

Back