Well...It's Getting Close to the Start of Bases. Who's The Best Bet TY?

G-Man

Pretty much a regular
Hello Gamblers.

Teams with good pitching are always looked at as why I bet.

But this season, who has a team or a few pitchers that they are going with this season.

Last season I made a great percentage of my money on Cleveland. I like them again , but I'm also looking at Toronto this season as a good investment at times.

Who do you like. I'm all ears. (I can read too). Please feel free to post here.

:cheers:

Bosox are 4-1 at my book. Their pitching is the best IMO. Wakefield, Beckett and company. Hitting goes without saying. I'll prob. play the Jays,Halos,Tribe in the american, and when the series comes up play the other side as well. I did this with the Super Bowl and came out on top about $225.

I really like detroit tigers, i know they aren't a dog by any stretch of the imagination, but the way leyland's understanding of the game is he is always going to be in competition. He is going to be getting some of his bullpen back this year which will help out in a big way.

He signs big hitters in free agency and brings up pitching through the organization. I like the tigers as much as i am a indians fan i don't think they will as successful this year as last year because the CC thing about his contract will be a distraction come August as it will resurface about then.

I really like detroit tigers, i know they aren't a dog by any stretch of the imagination, but the way leyland's understanding of the game is he is always going to be in competition. He is going to be getting some of his bullpen back this year which will help out in a big way.

He signs big hitters in free agency and brings up pitching through the organization. I like the tigers as much as i am a indians fan i don't think they will as successful this year as last year because the CC thing about his contract will be a distraction come August as it will resurface about then.

the Tigers entire pitching is a big question mark to me. there's absolutely no depth in the rotation and I don't see what he's getting back from his bullpen. Rodney's going to get overworked this year and he's coming off a season that he missed a month mid-season due to injury. the rest of the pen is awful, so either they lean on him and risk recurring injury or let guys pitch who have awful strikeout numbers and allow plenty of baserunners.

yes, they're going to score some runs... but as tired as it sounds, pitching wins.

I'm really expecting the Jays to win close to 90 this year. Too many guys underperformed last year offensively, the pitching largely got them 83 wins. Marcum, McGowan, Halladay, Burnett, Litsch. That's a very solid rotation. Throw in what should be a happy Scott Rolen and some guys returning to their normal numbers and its a team that will exceed expectations.

Also, just a gut feeling but the R. Sox are going to regress some this year. I don't think you can count on Lowell for a season like he had last season. Beckett is inconsistent, but might have figured things out. That and I never like teams coming off championships. It's just much more difficult to have the same killer instinct.

the Tigers entire pitching is a big question mark to me. there's absolutely no depth in the rotation and I don't see what he's getting back from his bullpen. Rodney's going to get overworked this year and he's coming off a season that he missed a month mid-season due to injury. the rest of the pen is awful, so either they lean on him and risk recurring injury or let guys pitch who have awful strikeout numbers and allow plenty of baserunners.

yes, they're going to score some runs... but as tired as it sounds, pitching wins.

:clearsthroat:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080227/SPORTS02/80227043/1050/rss15

Kept an eye out for Paul Maholm of the pirates from June thru Aug he had an era under 3.80 and went 8-7 ...Last 2 starts in Sept he sucked, but he was coming off injury...This will be his 3rd full season as a starter ... He has become confident on the mound , lefty ,only 49 bb and 2 CG last year ..Should be 3rd in the rotation which will allow for some good matchups..also led NL pitchers in double play groundouts

I'm prepared for everyone to poke fun at me for this post, but I think the A's will be a good bet this season. The market is overly discounting the departure of Swisher and Haren, and Blanton is the epitome of an undervalued pitcher to start the year (IMO obviously). The rotation's downfall in Oakland last year was that Street was injured, so Kiko & Co had to fill-in. Beane was not comfortable with his bullpen, which in turn caused the pitch count on his starters to skyrocket (Haren specifically).

Now I will admit, I am not sold on Oakland as a whole, but they have some good components and I will surely be betting on the A's when Blanton is pitching.

I don't bet bases, I just play 4-5 futures every year. First one I am taking this year is Toronto.

If Toronto stays healthy they are going to really challenge Boston and New York. They have a great pitching staff, from top to bottom probably the best in the MLB imo. They have two of the top starters in the league and have a little depth to work with too this year. They upgraded their batting and have some great fielders to play as well. this team is stacked, and being in Boston and New York's division I don't think hurts them. I think it bumps up their line. Still trying to decide on my other four, but I think I have a good idea.

Toronto Blue Jays 35-1

Next one I am taking is the Nationals.

I Do not really think they have a shot at winning it all, but would love to have them make a run at the playoffs while holding their ticket. They have a lot of small sub-stories on the team. Boone is coming back to the league after a battle with Alcoholism, he has already been bumped up to the pro spring training squad. Shaun Hill is trying to be the Ace he is supposed to be after having to deal with injuries for the last couple years. Nick Johnson, also once very good is coming back to playing 100% healthy now and he is excited to get going. They got some young players that are supposed to be very good, even the older players are talking about them. I also think that this being a sell year for Florida will mean some extra much needed victories. They are moving into a new Stadium and that should boost their confidence a little bit as well. They just have too much coming togeather this year to be set at these large of odds.

Nationals 125-1

Well going with my homer pick Seattle Mariners

The last two years M's fans have complained for starting pitching. This year management heard the call and went out and got 2 legitimate starters. Bedard's arrival has vastly overshadowed one of the best young arms coming into his next season in Felix. This could be one of the best starting rotations in the bigs this year. The bullpen will be deep and should do better this year just with having better starting pitching. And if the bullpen has been anything close to how it has in the last couple years the boost starting pitching should add should make this a very very good team when on the defensive side. The offense did not downgrade this season, but imo it did not get any better. M's Bats have seemed to click coming out of the all-star break the past couple seasons, but fizzled out as starting pitching unraveled. This year, I do not see that happening. I think the angels being that big of favorites in this division is an absolute joke. I see Seattle winning this division and having decent tools to make a World Series run. So I'll take this team at these odds.

Mariners 30-1

Well going with my homer pick Seattle Mariners

The last two years M's fans have complained for starting pitching. This year management heard the call and went out and got 2 legitimate starters. Bedard's arrival has vastly overshadowed one of the best young arms coming into his next season in Felix. This could be one of the best starting rotations in the bigs this year. The bullpen will be deep and should do better this year just with having better starting pitching. And if the bullpen has been anything close to how it has in the last couple years the boost starting pitching should add should make this a very very good team when on the defensive side. The offense did not downgrade this season, but imo it did not get any better. M's Bats have seemed to click coming out of the all-star break the past couple seasons, but fizzled out as starting pitching unraveled. This year, I do not see that happening. I think the angels being that big of favorites in this division is an absolute joke. I see Seattle winning this division and having decent tools to make a World Series run. So I'll take this team at these odds.

Mariners 30-1

I have no idea why the Mariners haven't looked at Barry Bonds. It seems like a perfect fit.

I have no idea why the Mariners haven't looked at Barry Bonds. It seems like a perfect fit.

It has definitely been talked about around here. I think that the first and by far most important goal was starting pitching. I think it was the only thing really holding this M's team back. They have a couple very good young bats, I think they thought they were good enough on the offensive side to not try and mess with any additional problems that situation might bring. I myself think that at a cheap price right now Bonds has great value. I really think this team has had long periods during the seasons when they hit better or just as well as any other team, but it always seems to fade. This year, I just don't think it will happen as the pitching will be there the entire year to help keep pace.

Next Team I am taking is Colorado

This is more of a taking a team that came off the season hot. They won 20 of 21 before running into Boston. I dont care who you are that builds confidence. This is a fairly young team, but they were last year. They have awesome defense and were shutting people down at the end of the year in Colorado. I really like Troy Tulowitzki in his 2nd year. They have good solid veterans on the team too, and we have to remember many people were calling them the best team in the NL far and away up through the playoffs. They had some starting pitching woes last season with injuries, but that should be better to start the season this year. When you have 5-6 really good bats and the pitching they brought at the end of last season, I will take a shot on them doing something similar this season. They got a good boost of confidence and sometimes that is all a young team needs.

Colorado Rockies 25-1

Brewer, I do not really know. I am taking one more future and it should come from that division. I think that division is amazing, at least the top 3. I think when you have a Detroit in that division which has incredibly high odds, a Minnesota team that is not going to be good, a KC team that is horrible as well, it leaves the last two teams with good value.

I can get 90-1 right now on the Sox, and I think they got better this year and should be competing for the division. At those odds for the sox, I almost have to take them over Cleveland. This is the last division I am going over, I should have it worked out who I am taking in this division at some point, but right now I think it is between Cleveland and Chicago.

Last Team I am taking is Chicago...... the White Sox that is.

This team has fallen from where it once was. But, I cannot pass at these odds on this team. I think that Detroit is the hot pick. I think Cleveland has some value, but no where near enough when I can get the Sox at around 100-1. This is not a team that is that bad. They will have at least two lefty starters and their bats are not bad either. Their pitching does not have much depth and that scares me, but again at these odds I will take the risk of losing one of their top 3 arms. I have watched a couple interviews on this team this year, and it was not about wanting to contend for their division, they were adamant and confident they were going to contend for the WS. I'll take a shot with them at these odds.

Chicago White Sox 90-1

Not sure about world series odds but teams that i think will get you significant value day in and day out are ....

cincinnatti reds
tampa bay devil rays
kansas city royals

All true...the bullpen is below average..it doesn't suck. They have quite the chip on their shoulders. The thing..last year the pen wasn't great and they had injuries..yet they were a Sheffield injury in the first series after the ASG from being there in the final week for a playoff spot..no doubt in my mind...

tigers problem isn't the bullpen...u know why their stats were bad?? they wee overworked...which in turn led to injuries. loss of zumaya was icing on cake.

if the starters. especially JV and bonderman can limit their pitchcounts and go deeper in games this year they will win 95-100 games...seriously, last year these guys couldn't get past the 5th inning.

i think detroit is favored high for a reason personally.

like the jays value, but they have a moron 4 a manager.

I'm really expecting the Jays to win close to 90 this year. Too many guys underperformed last year offensively, the pitching largely got them 83 wins. Marcum, McGowan, Halladay, Burnett, Litsch. That's a very solid rotation. Throw in what should be a happy Scott Rolen and some guys returning to their normal numbers and its a team that will exceed expectations.

Also, just a gut feeling but the R. Sox are going to regress some this year. I don't think you can count on Lowell for a season like he had last season. Beckett is inconsistent, but might have figured things out. That and I never like teams coming off championships. It's just much more difficult to have the same killer instinct.

where does Chacin fit in there?

Last Team I am taking is Chicago...... the White Sox that is.

This team has fallen from where it once was. But, I cannot pass at these odds on this team. I think that Detroit is the hot pick. I think Cleveland has some value, but no where near enough when I can get the Sox at around 100-1. This is not a team that is that bad. They will have at least two lefty starters and their bats are not bad either. Their pitching does not have much depth and that scares me, but again at these odds I will take the risk of losing one of their top 3 arms. I have watched a couple interviews on this team this year, and it was not about wanting to contend for their division, they were adamant and confident they were going to contend for the WS. I'll take a shot with them at these odds.

Chicago White Sox 90-1

I like this play. The division in my opinion shakes out like this:

Detroit is obviously the favorite. That bullpen is atrocious and that pitching staff has been prone to injuries and I can't see old geyser making it the entire way. I honestly don't think Cleveland made themselves much better in the offseason, I can see them being the same type of team but to hit the way they did last year the same this year is asking a bit much. Kenny Williams went out and got some talent in Swisher and added to a bullpen that should be close to the top of the AL. After a year of not hitting the ball at all, I think they come back to stride here. Only gap in the hole is offense from Center Field, and Uribe even playing in my opinion makes this team worse. They have multiple people they can move and trade if need be (Crede probably being the top guy), so I'm expecting them to deal Crede and take care of one of the problems I just listed.

I'll prolly take em to win the division, they're sort of set up like the Cubs were last year w/ quite a bit of money to make a big move when you need it come the trade deadline, so they should be in a race for the playoffs, if not the top spot in the division.

I like this play. The division in my opinion shakes out like this:

Detroit is obviously the favorite. That bullpen is atrocious and that pitching staff has been prone to injuries and I can't see old geyser making it the entire way. I honestly don't think Cleveland made themselves much better in the offseason, I can see them being the same type of team but to hit the way they did last year the same this year is asking a bit much. Kenny Williams went out and got some talent in Swisher and added to a bullpen that should be close to the top of the AL. After a year of not hitting the ball at all, I think they come back to stride here. Only gap in the hole is offense from Center Field, and Uribe even playing in my opinion makes this team worse. They have multiple people they can move and trade if need be (Crede probably being the top guy), so I'm expecting them to deal Crede and take care of one of the problems I just listed.

I'll prolly take em to win the division, they're sort of set up like the Cubs were last year w/ quite a bit of money to make a big move when you need it come the trade deadline, so they should be in a race for the playoffs, if not the top spot in the division.

I kind of think it is alot like the AL EAST and Toronto's situation. This is a team that is getting pretty much no respect due to the two teams above them in the divisions. However, while it is possible the yanks, bosox, CLE, DET all will have better teams. I do not think it is that big of a drop off, and CHIsox/TOR could be the 2 most complete teams out of the 6. They both have pitching and hitting, some areas they are great, some areas so-so. But, really not bad in any spot on the field.

I think the CHISOX are a huge sleeper team this year.

Futures Placed: AL---Jays and Rays

I really know very little about the boys of summer, so I'll be reading the threads and learning this season. Press on...

Back