Weeks 1 + 2: What Have We Learned

Only watched the 2nd H of FSU, and realized our DBs are soft, the O-line is still our Achilles, and Laborn was a HUGE loss. RB depth is shit, the QB is a one read player, and Terry is going to be doubled until WRs stop dropping balls. The D-line gets push, but aren't gap sound. The LB Corp is lacking skill. Probably why we moved to 4-2-5.

2-yrs in a row we were beat by a true fresh that was committed to us before taking a scholly elsewhere.

Going to be a long abbreviated year.

Sun Belt baby.

Not just a one week thing.

In week 1 we saw Texas State give SMU a game and South Alabama beat Southern Miss & Ark St hung with Memphis. Now, all those games have some "yeah but" aspects, but doesn't every game have some spin to it one way or the other?

Week 1 Sun Belt 3-0 ATS with one upset
Week 2 Sun Belt dogs 4-1 ATS with three upsets and a near miss. Sun Belt favs 0-3 ATS

We all know this, I think some people who cover the sport could take the advice....last year is merely a starting point on team evaluation, but if this was a book it would be just the first chapter. Late last night I heard somebody say, "Georgia Tech, they weren't supposed to do anything this year". Yeah, tell Jeff Collins that. Tell those kids that. South Alabama was hot garbage last year and they nearly could be 2-0.

Note to self, when you hear that 33 players are unavailable and something like 6-7 are starters, just blind bet the other team...especially when the line is 4TDs+

Iowa State continues to get love, year after year with Matt Campbell. Iowa State is a nice team, solid team, good players, take some better teams in their league to the wall and sometimes beat them. But they lose 5 games every year and yet every year somebodies somewheres are saying 'look out for ISU, darkhorse this year'. Tell me that when they learn how to win the games vs teams they should beat. They get up for the big games, I;ll give them that, well most of them.

Thankfully for the Big Xll most people who just casually care about the sport will just see what Oklahoma and Texas did.

Oklahoma and Texas won 107-3. The other four Big Xll teams playing...they were outscored by a combined 103-137 losing against the spread by a total of 108 points!

Notre Dame will probably be ok, but losing those 3 key receiving targets and having an important newcomer leave the game (Skowrenek), they are going to have to get some chemistry there and they aren't going to be the same offense out the gate.

And in loss, the respect for David Cutcliff continues to grow. Great leader, great coach. Seems happy at Duke, not much stress, and that is fine. But put Cut back on a team that can actually recruit the best athletes and he would be competing for division and league titles annually no doubt.

South Alabama led 24-6 mid 3rd, Tulane won.

UTSA led 24-7 at half time, goes to double OT with plenty of craziness!

UNC led just 7-3 half time, Heels still covered.

We will have to see how it unfolds for UNC. I'm not sure, but some of the hype/pressure/headlines could be getting to the O? Howell soph slump? Not appropriate to put any of those labels on yet, sometimes we don't know until it's already happened. But one pleasant surprise, UNC D looks pretty good! Now it was only Syracuse. Charlotte this week will be a better test. Saw Babers on the sideline yesterday, no doubt he was thinking "why didn't I take any of the offers after 2018".

I'm not sure I'm doing that or not.

I kind of like this vibe I have where I don't really know as much about the teams as I normally try to know and just kind of shoot from the hip and don't over analyze.

Maybe I'll look later tonight. I want to enjoy some week 1 NFL today here.

Either the ACC or the ADs at Virginia and Duke have their shit together, atleast on this.

There are going to be plenty of games postponed and potentially canceled. It's going to keep happening and it might even happen more frequently at some point.

So then teams can't just keep postponing and try to reschedule into bye weeks and the end of the season because you run out of dates. That is why it is brilliant to move games up when possible! Instead of Duke playing at Virginia 11/14, they move it up to 9/26. Not only does it help out Virginia now, but it gives both teams another open window down the schedule to fill in other rescheduled games if needed.

Well done. More teams and leagues should be looking to do this when possible. It's covid 2020, figure it out as you go, just have to.

I didn't miss the Big Ten or PAC 12 once yesterday. Teams that aren't play = irrelevant. I'm proud and happy for the decision makes, the administrators, the players and coaches that are trying to make this work. No way is it easy, but trying to make it work is the right thing to do. The rest of y'all...you aren't as important as you think you are.

South Alabama led 24-6 mid 3rd, Tulane won.

UTSA led 24-7 at half time, goes to double OT with plenty of craziness!

UNC led just 7-3 half time, Heels still covered.

We will have to see how it unfolds for UNC. I'm not sure, but some of the hype/pressure/headlines could be getting to the O? Howell soph slump? Not appropriate to put any of those labels on yet, sometimes we don't know until it's already happened. But one pleasant surprise, UNC D looks pretty good! Now it was only Syracuse. Charlotte this week will be a better test. Saw Babers on the sideline yesterday, no doubt he was thinking "why didn't I take any of the offers after 2018".
Same UNC 'wait till 4th' mantra yesterday (saying somewhat in jest but it's quite amusing you knew it was coming ).

Sun Belt baby.

Not just a one week thing.

In week 1 we saw Texas State give SMU a game and South Alabama beat Southern Miss & Ark St hung with Memphis. Now, all those games have some "yeah but" aspects, but doesn't every game have some spin to it one way or the other?

Week 1 Sun Belt 3-0 ATS with one upset
Week 2 Sun Belt dogs 4-1 ATS with three upsets and a near miss. Sun Belt favs 0-3 ATS
AND they got paid to punch those teams in the mouth.

Notre Dame will probably be ok, but losing those 3 key receiving targets and having an important newcomer leave the game (Skowrenek), they are going to have to get some chemistry there and they aren't going to be the same offense out the gate.

And in loss, the respect for David Cutcliff continues to grow. Great leader, great coach. Seems happy at Duke, not much stress, and that is fine. But put Cut back on a team that can actually recruit the best athletes and he would be competing for division and league titles annually no doubt.
When Vols let him go that was he downfall of Tennessee. IMO.
Not only that they didn’t want to hire someone from the Vols Family (which goes against what they preach VFL)

Oklahoma and Texas won 107-3. The other four Big Xll teams playing...they were outscored by a combined 103-137 losing against the spread by a total of 108 points!

All those Big 12 teams played at home too, and Texas Tech won because Houston Baptist missed a 2-point conversion at the end.

One of the silver linings of this virus-influenced season is the general pubic is going to realize how good these Sun Belt teams are. And who knows, the media might realize it too.

And in all those Sun Belt--Big 12 match ups the SB teams were faster, more skilled, and better coached than the Big 12 teams. And that C Carolina defense was not only faster and played harder than Kansas they looked substantially bigger, something you don't expect to see in these buy-a-win match ups.

Embarrassing day for the Big 12.

And I agree with S--K, I didn't miss the Big 10 and the Pac 12 at all. I don't care if the Timid Two come back or not

We all know this, I think some people who cover the sport could take the advice....last year is merely a starting point on team evaluation, but if this was a book it would be just the first chapter. Late last night I heard somebody say, "Georgia Tech, they weren't supposed to do anything this year". Yeah, tell Jeff Collins that. Tell those kids that. South Alabama was hot garbage last year and they nearly could be 2-0.

Note to self, when you hear that 33 players are unavailable and something like 6-7 are starters, just blind bet the other team...especially when the line is 4TDs+

Iowa State continues to get love, year after year with Matt Campbell. Iowa State is a nice team, solid team, good players, take some better teams in their league to the wall and sometimes beat them. But they lose 5 games every year and yet every year somebodies somewheres are saying 'look out for ISU, darkhorse this year'. Tell me that when they learn how to win the games vs teams they should beat. They get up for the big games, I;ll give them that, well most of them.

Matt Campbell is a pretty good young coach but he is so overhyped its ridiculous.

I didn't miss the Big Ten or PAC 12 once yesterday. Teams that aren't play = irrelevant. I'm proud and happy for the decision makes, the administrators, the players and coaches that are trying to make this work. No way is it easy, but trying to make it work is the right thing to do. The rest of y'all...you aren't as important as you think you are.
Excellent post

7 players out for covid, and non competitive 42-0 half
I understand the game wasn't competitive...

But why not just call it at half then? The extra couple drives isn't doing a thing.

We see colleges partnering with gambling sites now..they need to realize what a conflict this is.

Yo

u couldn't be more right - cutliff should be in a major program. However I don't think he would go. ND gets overrated every year along with texas. That fact you can
take to the bank. Nice info silk. Tx

Texas Tech football has had 75 positive covid cases! They are about at the point they don't need to worry any more assuming the whole antibody thing where you can't get it again (for a while) is actually true. Think of all the money they can save on testing! Just let everyone get it already (kinda joking, kinda not).

All those Big 12 teams played at home too, and Texas Tech won because Houston Baptist missed a 2-point conversion at the end.

One of the silver linings of this virus-influenced season is the general pubic is going to realize how good these Sun Belt teams are. And who knows, the media might realize it too.

And in all those Sun Belt--Big 12 match ups the SB teams were faster, more skilled, and better coached than the Big 12 teams. And that C Carolina defense was not only faster and played harder than Kansas they looked substantially bigger, something you don't expect to see in these buy-a-win match ups.

Embarrassing day for the Big 12.

And I agree with S--K, I didn't miss the Big 10 and the Pac 12 at all. I don't care if the Timid Two come back or not

why is it a good thing more ppl will realize that? I don’t like that! Lol

Arkansas State was reportedly missing 9 starters and 13 players last week at Kansas State!!! Read that in a story about their postponing the Central Ark game this week. They were missing 9 starters vs Kansas State. Damn.

I noticed the line went up, I just figured it was genuine K St money. Eh, I bet Ark St down 9 starters didn't know it. Had I know it I might not have bet them or reduced my amount. Glad I didn't know.

Back