Weekend Plays from North of the Border

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
All the big leagues are playing so I will condense my plays to one thread.

EPL:
YTD: 3-3 +2.45
Sides: 1-3 -3.65
Totals: 2-0 +6.1

Wigan 0 @ 2.11 (5 Units)
Silly silly line IMO. Wigan have been competitive vs West Ham and Chelsea. In fact they didn't deserve to lose vs Chelsea. They played like a Champion vs The Blues and if it weren't for Petr Cech's saves, they could of easily have pulled off a win. But thus a little unlucky for the 2nd week running for Steve Bruce's men and this time around they should be able to see off their competition in Hull. The price is an overreaction to Hull's start. A win and a draw and all of a sudden they are favored over a team that has played far better quality in opponents and should not even be sitting on 0 points.
Prediction: Hull 0-2 Wigan

West Ham/Blackburn Over 2.25 @ 1.95 (3 Units)
This game should be up for grabs, I reckon it will turn out like the Everton/Blackburn opening fixture, where there willl be one team that takes it to the other. Blackburn will need to improve upon last weeks game vs Hull where they were disappointed to be held to a draw at home. Hammers look a little lost at times. I'm not too sure I like Lucas Neill venturing up past the midfield on the attack, their back line isn't the quickest to. There are still rumors surrounding Anton Ferdinand's future so that could effect his play. Robert Green also seems a little awkward, he had requested a pay raise earlier in the season but has received non and well right now it seems he doesn't care. Paul Ince has continued to build the foundation of hardwork that Mark Hughes placed on Blackburn. This is a very physical squad with a high work rate. Roque Santa Cruz has looked like he is still the same player from last season. The addition of Carlos Villanueva will bolster the attack mid to press up trough the middle vs a weaker central West Ham midfield. Mind you that West Ham fans are starting to lose faith in Alan Curbishley and I have tipped him to be the first manager to be sacked. Hammer fans can be unrealistic most of the time but in this case they should be booing as they should not have been pushed to ET vs Macclesfield during Carling Cup play midweek. I expect a response and therefore goals to keep the crowd happy but I do think Blackburn can get away with a goal or two as well.
Prediction: West Ham 2-2 Blackburn

Chelsea -1.25 @ 2.02 (3 Units)
Well a mate of mine who's a Spurs fan has suggested this will be a hammering. Chelsea cannot afford to play like they did vs Wigan this match, they do step up when they play a respectable opposition. Plus it's at Stamford Bridge..........will they ever lose a freaking game here?

what villa really need is defensive help. but milner will help in terms of depth, especially since they got rid of shaun the "mailman" maloney.

it'll be interesting to see if and when they call up highly rated young forward nathan delfouneso. kid has a ton of potential.

Serie A
Udinese/Palermo Under 2.5 @ 1.98 (2 Units)
Want to see how Palermo reacts when they lose key players Amauri, Zaccardo and Barzagli to transfers. The new players in such as Amelia in goal Nocerino could provide adequate cover but I'm starting to feel this squad is going to really have to grind their way to wins and rather than scoring at will, they have built a much more patient side.
Udinese are built to cause the big teams problems in Udi, they do have quite a strong forward punch of Di Natale and Quagliarella. Now injuries have struck both squads so a fairly even match is the case here. Palermo will try to get a feel of life without majority of their key players last season while Udinese will want to stay consistent and make sure last seasons form was not a fluke. Last few meetings had been a very very tight affair. Last 6 games has seen 5 unders and 1 over. I'll take my chances on this one as both sides seem to know each other fairly well.

solid win by the latics. steve "the potato face" bruce has got his team playing some good stuff rite now.

mike u betting the serie a now? man, i remember awhile ago you went on a crazy rant on how you hate the italians and their style of play.

i would find the thread and bump it up, but that shits just plain Yag.

The Serie A is far more profitable than the EPL IMO. Especially towards the end of the season you just know which teams are downright awful. The EPL lines are a little harsher and the home crowds in Italy still effect the play on the field. The EPL as great as it is on the field, the crowd control really bores me, yes there are chants but it's not as intimidating to be a visitor in England as oppose to the other bigger leagues where crowd control tends to be at a minimum.

I was playing Serie A hard last season, not too sure where you are.

I never really trusted the Italian league, and when the match fixing scandal was brought to light, I lost a lot of respect for the Serie A.

Since then, we are seeing a lot more consistent officiating and big time teams playing on the road to smaller opposition, no longer seem to be suspiciously sleep-walking through the second half of games.

Sunderland/Man City Under 2.25 @ 1.98 (3 Units)
Man City are going to start Jo upfront, he may need some time to adapt to the system. Sunderland have been a great Under team for me at the Stadium of Light. This is the sort of game where things can just grind out, not an offensive explosion. Sunderland won on the road last week and will look to make it consecutive wins, but in order to do so, they have to penetrate the City defense that I think is starting to mold. This should be a game based on possession so I think the clock gets drained.
Prediction: Sunderland 1-0 Man City

Spain La Liga

Atletico Madrid -1.5 @ 2.176 (3 Units)
Deportivo/Real Madrid Under 2.5 @ 1.98 (2 Units)
Barcelona -1 @ 1.8 (5 Units)

Aston Villa +0.25 @ 1.84 (2 Units)
I put this one in a couple days ago but now I'm a little hesitant. Steven Gerrard is going to be missed, but Liverpool still have quality. What worries me the most is the pace on the wings that Liverpool has and I fear that Shorey and Young won't keep up with them. Villa's weak link has been the fact they cannot seem to hold possession to the ball for an extended period of time. It's more based on counters and quick transitions. The longer Pool hold the ball...the more frustrated the Villan's midfield will get. This is an interesting game for Gareth Barry. Facing the club that he was suppose to go to but didn't. If Villa have any sort of CL aspirations they have to be able to compete with Liverpool. For Pool though...they must bounce back from their terrible display vs Standard Liege and they dont often play crap in back to back games. There has to be a response. I'll be happy to come away with a draw, but I really do not want to see a Liverpool player score a match winner in the last 10-15mins!

Back