Weekend Plays from North of the Border Sep 20 - 21

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
English Premier League
YTD: 10-5-2 +16.76
Sides: 7-4-1 +11.31
Totals: 3-1-1 +5.45

West Ham -0.5 @ 2.08 (5 Units)
West Ham will be hoping to give a positive debut for their new manager Gianfranco Zola. Before this, there was some negative moments with the resignation of Curbishley and their sponsor XL filing for bankruptcy nevertheless, the fans have something to cheer about with Zola, one of the most popular figures in English football during the the mid 90s to early 2000s. This will be his first club management stint after being the Italian U-21s leader. Zola did take charge on Monday so he has had a few days to prepare for this match. The Hammers have been quite the jekyll and hyde when it comes to playing at home and on the road. They've had no problem letting in goals as well which can be worrisome, however, when playing at home the energy of the crowd works as a 12th man. The negative for today's match is that Dean Ashton is expected to be sidelined along with Craig Bellamy. Two marquee strikers. However, I think the key to West Ham's success has to be their midfield. Noble, Parker, Behrami and Etherington provide stability, pace and toughness that should hold steady for this encounter.
Newcastle on the other hand are facing some internal crisis. Losing manager Kevin Keegan because of board issues, now they are in long need of a positive result. Coming into the game vs West Ham, the Magpies hadn't lost a game to the Hammers since 2001, however you can throw that stat out the window because the Hammers weren't that much of a powerhouse back then and times have changed. The style of Magpies have changed, their players have changed and so have their managerial staff. The road from Newcastle all the way to London could get even bleaker if they do lose this match. The defeat to Hull last week at St James' Park signals there needs to be drastic changes. The pressure is mounting on the club and it has been for years and years but there have been very few positive results. This is a clash of two teams who seem to be going on opposite directions, West Ham are aiming for new and positive things under their new manager while Newcastle keep going on a downward spiral with all the internal affairs effecting the fans, managers and players. I think Zola will get a positive reception and result on his first game.
Prediction: West Ham 3-1 Newcastle

Other plays:
Blackburn/Fulham Under 2.5 @ 1.88 (2.5 Units)
Bolton/Arsenal Under 2.5 @ 1.87 (2.5 Units)

Serie A

Lecce/Siena Draw @ 2.90 (1 Unit)
Palermo/Genoa Draw @ 3.00 (1 Unit)

Nothing too remotely interesting for me in terms of singles, got some local parlays waiting on Inter and Sampdoria.

Hull City +0.25 @ 1.81 (3 Units)

I'm going to consider a Utd/Chelsea in game, Van der Sar has just got subbed so I'm interested to know if Kuzsack will be prepared.

Back