Week One: What did we learn?

Stanford didn't block well vs the blitz. They didn't tackle well all game. Their play calling was conservative and borderline high schoolish. They had 2 3rd and 12's and ran. They punted on 4th and 5 at NW 35, down 7pts in the 4th quarter. Shaw=Jeff Fisher. Teams are fundamentally not sound and coaches are not prepared to make the right decisions throughout the game. It's called ignorant football. Now Stanford plays home vs Central Florida who just lost to anemic FIU. Shaw will be able to hide another week.

Last edited:
Only saw 2 games, but here goes

Nick Marshall was so much better at executing Malzahn's offense than any analyst or fan gave him credit for. Johnson looked lost most of the day, but Barber looks like a stud. Muschamp may be a great DC, but he has little talent and even less depth. Lawson was their DL and when he was out, they looked a lot like last season. A lot to have riding on a guy coming off a major leg injury

Alabama has a really good defense. Coker looks more than competent, QB battle should be over. Henry and Drake are one of the best RB tandems in the league. Kiffin can still call a great game. Kicking may cost Alabama a game (again). Several good WR, not sure any great ones. Schedule doesn't look any easier after one week. think our last 2 recruiting classes may end up being the best of the Saban era.

Alabama and Ohio State do have one thing in common this year: they both play 1 ranked B1G team

Michigan should have won. Utah is over rated and should be a better fade team than most will think. One indicator is that they are only favored by 10.5 over Utah State this week and if Utah state is only 5 points worse than Michigan, then Michigan would be a 5 point favorite over Utah State? Utah state managed only 12 points LW against Southern Utah?

Wisky is worse than they look.

Bama is not as good as they looked.

Louisville is better than they looked

Virginia is good enough to play on. in most match ups this season

A&M could be a top 10 team.

From a scouting perspective, you would think Hackenberg drops another few notches ... seems to drop more each game he plays.

Texas is the same team as last year.
West Virginia defense is salty

NIU looked athletically challenged to me ... not going to be able to stop bg and wmu type passing attacks in conference

Notre Dame is the best team I have seen so far. Their offensive line is very talented, the DL looks solid and the one question mark to really have about their team was the QB position and he answered all those questions. Texas should have been going for his knees when ND was running hurry up late though.

SMU greatly improved. How slow is NT gonna look next week?

Buffs have some problems. The QB is not very good, tends to focus on Spruce every drop back. They were having oline problems and the chemistry looks bad for them.

Virginia will be a nice play on team when they get into conference play. Completely mismatched heading into this weeks game against the Irish.

Vanderbilt will be offensively challenged all year

WMU overs when against bad secondary and good running opponent. hmmmm I see that this week.

Florida offense looks improved

Miss St is a complete shell of last years team.

I think T Armstrong for Nebraska made strides in the offseason. I thought he looked good against BYU

Rosen is good.

Hackenburg and PSU are terrible

The Temple defense made Hackenberg's head spin. The thought of him doing anything at the next level is laughable.

Texas? When your only upside in a game is that you had zero turnovers, it's not looking especially good for the upcoming season. The upside is that a 6 win season and corresponding attendance issues may get our clown AD fired. Strong gets one more year to right things.

The Temple defense made Hackenberg's head spin. The thought of him doing anything at the next level is laughable.

Texas? When your only upside in a game is that you had zero turnovers, it's not looking especially good for the upcoming season. The upside is that a 6 win season and corresponding attendance issues may get our clown AD fired. Strong gets one more year to right things.
You would be the guy for this

what in the ever living fuck are they recruiting this year?

he gonna pull a rabbit out the hat? 9 hard verbals and they ain't all that great...

Will watch for the total on SMU/UNT

ASU looked thick. When they first came out , I figured they would put it on the Ags. Didn't look like the usual Pac12 team....to me.
Had the dropsies and cost them. Obv the Oline can be beaten.
Daylon Mack must have put on the freshman 50 as he's about a biscuit away from ripping his britches. He and Myles on the same side did what I expected and Hall is going to have a great year because of it.
Kyler is the shizzits.
I saw his daddy vs. Rice try to cut up the sideline at the 4, going for the endzone. His foot stayed flat and as he was tackled, the side of his foot touched the outside of his leg. Completely folded over. Played next week. Just stretched the ligaments.
I digress.
Christian Kirk---enough said.
Ag Oline can be had right now. If they play fast like in Sumlin's first yr, then it can mask it.
Great to see Ag defenders run to the ball and actually want to tackle in the open field. Whether that is good coaching or playing to impress the coach , I can't say.

Baylor can be had. Great athletes , but they always seem to have that lull where they can't get out of their own way. Not sure it will lower the totals any.

I learned the PAC12 may be weaker than thought....

I was high on the conference as a whole

UCLA may be the class of it

Imo Washington will fare well against the spread this year. Despite the losses these kids being in year 2 under Petersen is a big advantage

Let's not get too high on the Irish, they beat a team of pre-schoolers led by Tyler F'ng Swoopes.

SMU played their Natty Champ game in Week 1 and still lost by 35, they've improved but only by an inch. Watch them get rolled by North Texas.

Wisky should never have been ranked coming into the season, are an average team if that but their schedule hereon-in is a cupcake.

Shaw's flaws as a coach were on display in neon this week. Dude sucks.

Road faves went 3-11 ATS (10-4 SU) with one road fave playing tomorrow (Buckeyes).

You would be the guy for this

what in the ever living fuck are they recruiting this year?

he gonna pull a rabbit out the hat? 9 hard verbals and they ain't all that great...

Problems, everywhere. Can't believe we're laying 16 this weekend. It may take 3 games for us to score 16 points.

Unrelated....Temple's Super Bowl was this past weekend. Well deserved win, but not sure how in the hell they're going to be that focused at Cincy.

Nebraska is really bad. OL and DE probably our worst in my lifetime. Some great players hid the problems the last few years and those guys are gone. Pierson El was the one true difference maker.

Riley needs a terrible year to limit expectations tbh

Think he is perfect for that program given the state of CFB as a product and hope he flushes out the bad without creating expectations

I feel REALLY GOOD about my season win total for PSU going under. Hackenberg confirmed he's a bust.

Hate saying it but ND looks good and deep.

TX is in serious trouble.

Bama isn't as good as I thought.

SEC West out to prove a point.

Alvin Kamara is as good as advertised and Tennessee is deep at RB and WR.
The buzz is picking back up in Knoxville

Utah is not over-rated. They aren't even ranked so I don't know how they are over-rated to begin with. Kyle Whittingham is a vanilla coach that will only show what he needs to. There is quite a bit on offense that Utah hasn't shown yet. Brittain Covey will give PAC 12 DC's fits before this year is over. Utah will cover the 10.5 over the Aggies and then some. UCLA is the cream of the crop but let's not crown them yet considering that they played UVa at home and the jury is still out on the Cavs AFAIC.

UM will go bowling.

Mike Riley is an idiot that doesn't know how to manage the clock late in games. Utah luck-boxed a win over OSU in '08 due to his stupidity. Thanks Mike, Utah wouldn't have been in the Sugar Bowl if it wasn't for your ineptitude.

Agree that Ville is better than they showed. Jackson should start from here on out.

KY has no defense, and Texas couldn't score on a few HS teams.

I can't think of any more, the bourbon is starting to kick in.

John Chavis paid immediate dividends for his big contract as DC of aTm. They had 9 sacks and 23 tackles for loss against Az State.

SMU showed more life under Chad Morris than they have in years and scored more points in the first quarter against Baylor than they did in the first four games last year.

Saban called off the dogs early against Wisconsin or it could have gotten ugly. And Chryst still hasn't convinced me he is a head coach. He doesn't look like one either. He looks like what I suspect he is, a good assistant when he is working for a good head coach.

I was wrong on Penn State. I thought they would be an improved team this year, but they looked about like they did last year and Hackenberg looks like he has regressed as much between his soph and junior year as he did between his freshman and soph year. When the Temple coaches realized Hackenberg froze when he saw a blitz coming they started sending them on every play and the Penn State staff had no idea of what to do.

Florida looks like a winner this year under McElwain. More disciplined, more organized, more focused, and plenty of talent, especially on D. Their secondary looks like the best in the country.

Riley's Cornhuskers look just like Riley's Beavers. They play hard, but have costly penalties and mistakes time after time. The one positive I saw is that the Nebraska QB looks a lot better this year.

everyone keeps saying that about armstrong. he looked slightly better but mostly the same. throws off his back foot half the time, questioable decision making, missed several wide open receivers. anybody that has a decent passing game is going to rape that byu secondary. Neb's OL was completely awful, but the WR were running free virtually every play.

Back