Week One B1G Thread

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Back, by popular demand is the weekly B1G thread.

Feel free to add to the off-season thread here and also read the OSU preview from one of our members (lots of info)

The first games are 10 days away, so lets get talking about those and hopefully find some winners.

Top start, on Thursday...

Minnesota -12.5/56.5 vs South Dakota St

We'll have four games on the first Friday night...

Wisconsin -13.5 /57 @ South Florida

Michigan State -22.5/47.5 vs Tulsa

Rutgers -15/55.5 vs Umass

Purdue -10/59 @ Nevada-Reno

Saturday's slate....

Maryland -29.5/65.5 vs Howard

Penn State -36.5/58.5 vs Idaho

Ohio State -27/63.5 vs Florida Atlantic

Nebraska 36/64.5 vs South Alabama

Illinois -16.5/56 vs Akron

Indiana -16.5/59 vs Ball State

Northwestern +6.5/49 @ Stanford

Michigan -33.5/54 vs Middle Tennessee State

Iowa -21.5/49 vs Miami(Oh)

Lets generate some good talk, friendly banter and help each other gather some winners.

Feel free to talk about any conference futures in here as well.

It's that time, LFG!

I can’t say I have heard/read anything about USA this off season. Unusual, since we get some coverage here locally. Sounds like a name your score game for Nebby. Maybe a 1st H TT over. Just in case the Huskers lose interest2H.

we should do very bad things to South Bammer. Sounds like Frost is pretty happy with Vedral backing Martinez up. I would assume he does not want to play McCaffrey at this point.

Last edited:
With a little over a week to reconsider, here is where I stand in the B1G

Playing the three ‘ I’s at the spread laying the double digits.
Playing NW on the money line
Using Mich, MS, Neb, tOSU, and PS in a many game money line parlay
No bets on Maryland, Purdue, and Rutgers.
Fading Wiscy.
Either fading Minny or no play.

5D has 12.5 on Thurs 8/29

Check to make sure it wasn’t moved and grouped with the FBS/FCS crossover games at whatever site you’re using.

I just checked 5D. On college football scroll to game 235/236.
12 1/2 points at -120. They will probably drop it to -110 on game day.

I get queasy whenever I consider backing Rutgers, but UMass seems to be in for a total reset and is on my fade list. Anyone have general thoughts on Rutgers or this game specifically? Seems like Carter would be an upgrade if they need to go that route.

I had no pulse tbh but I thought it would be the young kid. That's fine with me.. I'd rather face Coan early in season or mertz with less reps
That’s what’s crazy to me...you have a few easy games to get the kid acclimated before facing UM, why not take advantage?

Re: Coan/Wisconsin

All reports from camp had the true freshman Mertz struggling quite a bit. Most media reports had him third string for much of camp although word is that he made huge gains in the last week that was open to media. But pretty much across the board the beat writers all said Coan looked to be the best by a considerable margin.

Re: Rutgers

I'm on this one week 1. They don't get many chances to flex some muscle. This logic didn't work against Kansas last year, but that was on the road, and all jokes aside, it is still a FBS team. Rutgers in a similar role last year beat up on Texas State 35-7. I'm looking for something like that here against UMass.

Re: Coan/Wisconsin

All reports from camp had the true freshman Mertz struggling quite a bit. Most media reports had him third string for much of camp although word is that he made huge gains in the last week that was open to media. But pretty much across the board the beat writers all said Coan looked to be the best by a considerable margin.
Fair enough here.

I'm on this one week 1. They don't get many chances to flex some muscle. This logic didn't work against Kansas last year, but that was on the road, and all jokes aside, it is still a FBS team. Rutgers in a similar role last year beat up on Texas State 35-7. I'm looking for something like that here against UMass.
To answer with M.O.T. from earlier, this is one time I would 'consider' Rutgers.

Umass is one step below hot garbage.

Thanks for the feedback. I was on them in that Kansas game last year in some capacity, either with a straight pick or in a contest I play. It got out of control early due to their turnovers. I think I’ll be adding Rutgers and the Illini TT.

I like Rutgers week 1. All the same reasons people are down on UMass and think Rutgers is at the point that they can handle the weaker group of 5 teams. The result at Kansas last year rightfully gives everyone pause, but when you consider some of the 2018 games UMass has played vs stronger teams (which were better UMass teams than this one should be) and consider that Rutgers does have a few big wins over lower tier schools under Ash (which this should be a better Rutgers team than those). I think it makes sense. I think Ash is 4-1 as a favorite with the 1 loss an upset to an always solid Eastern Michigan team.

Reading that UMass' tempo is supposed to be super fast this year. Which can go both ways...it can catch Rutgers unprepared and if UMass is clicking a bit that can be a problem. Or the other, and probably more likely situation in game 1 of a new system with new QB and mostly new skill players, is that the O isn't clicking leading to really short TOP and putting their D on the field too much which plays into Rutger's hand.

Reading that UMass' tempo is supposed to be super fast this year. Which can go both ways...it can catch Rutgers unprepared and if UMass is clicking a bit that can be a problem. Or the other, and probably more likely situation in game 1 of a new system with new QB and mostly new skill players, is that the O isn't clicking leading to really short TOP and putting their D on the field too much which plays into Rutger's hand.
The latter over the former indeed..... Good info.

sounds like Nebraska has settled on Cam Jurgens at center. He wasn't even practicing full go first part of camp due to foot issues, but he's been in there the last week or so and reports are the offense just looks better with him. If he can hold up health wise, that answers the biggest question for the offense. Second biggest question is what they do with Mo Washington and his legal situation.

What are people thinking on the FAU - Ohio State game?

I remember last year that some of us (including me) thought FAU could give OU a game, which...obviously they didn't. Admit I feel a little burned and hesitant to back them again in an opening week 1 road game vs a blue blood powerhouse....although I am tempted.

Too traumatized from betting Rutgers that game to try it again. Hope y'all cash on it this time around.

What are people thinking on the FAU - Ohio State game?

I remember last year that some of us (including me) thought FAU could give OU a game, which...obviously they didn't. Admit I feel a little burned and hesitant to back them again in an opening week 1 road game vs a blue blood powerhouse....although I am tempted.

I'm backing Ohio State. Laid 28 a couple weeks ago and it moved to 27 within an hour. Clearly the book respects my wagers!

My thoughts are that FAU will struggle to have any sort of effectiveness on offense in this game. Short drives and short fields should lead to a snowball effect and I think this one might get out of hand in a hurry.

I'm backing Ohio State. Laid 28 a couple weeks ago and it moved to 27 within an hour. Clearly the book respects my wagers!

My thoughts are that FAU will struggle to have any sort of effectiveness on offense in this game. Short drives and short fields should lead to a snowball effect and I think this one might get out of hand in a hurry.

Have to think they'll want to get Fields a lot of reps and confidence and a lot of points on the board.

don't expect ohio state to run fields to protect him from injury early. Without the run game it is a question mark how effective the passing game will be

Wisconsin appears to have a huge matchup advantage in the run game as usf was dreadful. How good will badgers new ol be ?

Purdue @ Nevada - west coast dogs against big ten is a historical winner , doesn't nevada warrant a hard look here ?

Some freshman walkons as number 2s....still thin on defense other than DL. Have to stay healthy and hope some of the younger guys improve.

Back, by popular demand is the weekly B1G thread.

Feel free to add to the off-season thread here and also read the OSU preview from one of our members (lots of info)

The first games are 10 days away, so lets get talking about those and hopefully find some winners.

Top start, on Thursday...

Minnesota -12.5/56.5 vs South Dakota St

We'll have four games on the first Friday night...

Wisconsin -13.5 /57 @ South Florida

Michigan State -22.5/47.5 vs Tulsa

Rutgers -15/55.5 vs Umass

Purdue -10/59 @ Nevada-Reno

Saturday's slate....

Maryland -29.5/65.5 vs Howard

Penn State -36.5/58.5 vs Idaho

Ohio State -27/63.5 vs Florida Atlantic

Nebraska 36/64.5 vs South Alabama

Illinois -16.5/56 vs Akron

Indiana -16.5/59 vs Ball State

Northwestern +6.5/49 @ Stanford

Michigan -33.5/54 vs Middle Tennessee State

Iowa -21.5/49 vs Miami(Oh)

Lets generate some good talk, friendly banter and help each other gather some winners.

Feel free to talk about any conference futures in here as well.

It's that time, LFG!

lots of chalk

Differing opinions on Runyan now...

Heard he was out.

Now, seeing a different source say he may play.

Kicker is a good problem, both have had good camps. Looks like Iron Jock got rid of the yips.

I'd expect all the backs to play.

Ambry may be back by Wisky (I noted Rutgers in the off-season thread).

One other player issue, perhaps. No clue...leaning towards no at this point on that. We shall see...

Quarterback: Asher O'Hara 6'0" 185 lbs (RS So.)
While O'Hara is the favorite to be the starter Saturday, there is still the possibility that 6'5 188lb Redshirt Sophomore Chase Cunningham or the 6'5" 223lb Junior transfer from Reedley College, Randall Johnson get the nod. As backup last season, O'Hara appeared in 2 games and completed 9 of 20 (45.0%) of his passes with 114yds and no TDs to 1 INT. He also rushed for 94yds on 23 attempts (4.1ypc) with 1 TD and a long of 13.

Cunningham attempted 1 pass last year which was incomplete. Johnson was named the Golden Coast Conference player of the year last season at the JUCO level completing 200 of 319 passes (62.9%) with 2,832yds including 28 TDs and 8 INT. He also rushed for 797yds and 14 TDs.

Running Back: Chaton Mobley 6'1" 233 lbs (RS So.) & Terelle West 5'10" 200 lbs (RS Sr.)
Mobley was the Blue Raiders leading rusher last year with 613yds on 123 carries (5.0ypc) with 4 TDs and a long of 60yds. He also added 19 catches for 153yds with a TD. Senior Terelle West provides more speed. He had 63 carries for 298yds (4.7ypc) and 1 TD with a long of 71 as well as 21 catches for 170 yards last year.

Wide Receivers: Ty Lee 5'9" 175 lbs (Sr.), C.J. Windham 6'2" 205 lbs (RS Jr.) & Jacquez Bruce 5'10'' 178 lbs (RS Sr.)
Ty Lee is a good one. Last season he had 71 catches for 883yds and 7 TDs with a long of 43. He also rushed 4 times for 18yds. Windham while only playing in 4 games last year made an impact with 6 catches for 111yds and 3 TDs and a long of 56yds. Bruce also was seldom used due to injury and had 6 catches for 85yds.

Tight End: Tight End? Not in this offense
I'll take this time instead to talk about the man who was 5th in receptions last year. With the guys that were 2nd - 4th all gone, he is the 2nd most productive receiver from last year returning. Junior Brad Anderson, 5'8 166lbs. Technically a RB, Anderson had 23 carries for 122yds (5.3ypc) with a TD and long of 29. He was more productive as a pass catcher, with 27 receptions for 332yds. Despite no receiving TDs he did have a long of 66yds.

Left Tackle: Will Gilchrist 6'3" 295 lbs (RS Jr.)
4 career games. 0 Starts. 18 Prior games in JUCO.

Left Guard: Angelo Owens 6'4" 298 lbs (RS Sr.)
13 games played with 1 start at MTSU. JUCO for a season prior to joining MTSU in 2016 with no games played in 2016 or 2017.

Center: Josh Fannin 6'3" 279 lbs (RS Sr.)
17 career starts.

Right Guard: Marcus Greer 6'3" 297 lbs (RS Fr.)
Appeared in 4 games last year prior to being redshirted.

Right Tackle: Amir Luckett 6'2" 285 lbs (RS Sr.)
20 career starts.

Defensive Tackles: Malik Manciel 6'3" 262 lbs (RS Sr.) & Jordan Ferguson 6'2'' 285 lbs (Jr.)
Manciel made 31 tackles with 4 for a loss, 2 sacks and a pass deflection. Ferguson totaled 15 tackles, 1.5 for a loss and a half sack in 2018. Though, in 2017 he had a much more productive year. We'll see which Ferguson shows up for MTSU in 2019.

Defensive Ends: Trae Philpots 6'4" 252 lbs (RS Sr.) & Tyshun Render 6'3" 248 lbs (RS Sr.)
In 2018 Philpots tallied 44 tackles with 9 tackles for a loss and 4 sacks. Render had 25 tackles with 7.5 for a loss, 2.5 sacks, a forced fumble and recovery and a pass deflection.

Outside Linebackers: D.Q. Thomas 6'2" 215 lbs (Jr.) & Khalil Brooks 5'11" 204 lbs (RS Sr.)
Last season Thomas compiled 70 tackles with 14.5 for a loss and 8 sacks, 3 pass deflections, 2 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries. Brooks totaled 68 tackles with 14.5 for a loss, 6 pass deflections, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and a 6.5 sacks.

Middle Linebacker: Cody Smith 6'2" 227 lbs (RS So.)
In what is projected to be his first start, Smith will be looking to build on a freshman season that saw him end with 22 tackles and 1 tackle for a loss.

Cornerbacks: Teldrick Ross 5'11" 170 lbs (RS Fr.) & Gregory Grate Jr. 5'11" 180 lbs (So.)
Ross played 4 games in his Freshman season before taking a redshirt. He collected 3 tackles. Grate Jr. was a true Freshman last year, appearing in 13 games with 2 starts. He had 25 tackles with a sack, 2 pass deflections and an INT that he returned 97yds for a TD.

Free Safety: Reed Blankenship 6'1" 197 lbs (Jr.)
No relation to Kenny. While coming off of off-season surgery, Blankenship is expected to be one of the best safeties in the country. In 2018 he had a team leading 107 tackles with 8 for a loss, a sack, 11 pass deflections and 4 INTs with one returned 100 yards for a TD.

Strong Safety: Jovante Moffatt 5'11" 207 lbs (RS Sr.)
Moffatt appeared in 13 games as a true Freshman in 2015 and started all of 2016 and 2017. Last season, while battling injuries he appeared in 4 games before taking a redshirt. he had 36 tackles, a forced fumble an INT and 6 pass deflections in just 4 games last year. In 2017 He had 101 tackles with 4.5 for loss, an INT, 4 pass deflections, a forced fumble and fumble recovery.

Punter and Kicker: Matthew Stephenson 5'8" 215 lbs (RS Jr.) & Crews Holt 5'11" 185 lbs (RS Jr.)
In his first season as punter, Stephenson only had 5 punts with an average of 40.0yds with a long of 46. Though of the five, three were fair caught and four were all downed inside the 20. Holt was the starting kicker in 2018 and was 18/24 on FGs (75.0%) with a long of 42. He also had 10 kickoffs with none being a touchback with the average kickoff being fielded at the 10 yard line. In his career he is 19/25 on FGs (76.0%).

Returners: Ty Lee 5'9" 175 lbs (Sr.)
Lee had returned 5 punts last fall with a 9.0yd return average and a long of 25. He returned 4 kickoffs for an average of 19.0yds and a long of 29. MTSU as a team last year apparently only returned 8 punts and 4 kickoffs thanks to the kickoff fair catch rule.

Players to watch:
Ty Lee - WR
D.Q. Thomas - OLB
Reed Blankenship - FS
Jovante Moffatt- SS

I'm been MIA for a while but I'll try to get some homer Purdue thoughts in here later today. Summary is I think you're looking at a very high variance team with a higher overall ceiling than last year but depth concerns on the O'line, injury concerns with the best defensive player on the team, and a QB injury away from being a 5'ish W type team.

Back