Week of June 17--Best CFB Stories on the Web

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
The Other Shoe Dropps For UConn's McClean

Posted Jun 17th 2007 12:17PM by John Radcliff
Filed under: Big East, NCAA FB Police Blotter

shoes.jpg
Senior wide receiver Brandon McClean has been dismissed from the University of Connecticut for unspecified reasons (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). As fellow Fanhouse Blogger, Matt Glaude, reported back in April, McClean was arrested twice in the span of three days. None of the charges by themselves were anything major, but apparently collectively the charges were enough to get McClean kicked out of school.

Because of Federal privacy laws, the school is not allowed to give specific reasons why McClean was dismissed. So there could be more to it than just the arrests back in April. But for a team that finished 110th in the country last season in passing offense, this is a huge blow. According to Scout.com, this leaves the Huskies with six returning receivers. None of which had more than 19 catches or 263 yards.

How's the running game looking coach?

From EDSBS.com:

COCKS CAUGHT IN PYRAMID SCHEME. OUCH.

South Carolina, which for all we know isn’t so much a state as it is a whole chunk of Suriname that some genius grafted onto the continental United States, gives us Cock trouble again. No, it’s not a state agriculture official running a cockfighting ring out of a state building, since that is sooooo done to death already.

This time, a good old pyramid scheme like mom used to make ‘em strikes South Carolina, proving that success in one professional field does not guarantee professional competence in another. The pyramid scheme in question is BurnLounge, a sort of network alternative to ITunes where investors were promised profits in return for sponsoring sites where music was traded. The SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission in this case) has accused BurnLounge of being a pyramid scheme, and investors include former Clemson coach Danny Ford, Heisman winner George Rogers, and son of current head Cock, Steve Spurrier, Jr.

gert_main.jpg

Mr. Bond, I have a business proposition for you.

A less than brilliant cameo is made by Bob Stoops in the story, who flashes Kirk Kerkorian-like business acumen in this quote:

“When Bob Stoops got me, he said, ‘I’ve spoken to a lawyer about this. I’ve spoken to my agent. I’ve spoken to some people to find out if this is a legitimate thing. And everything they told me, this is a legitimate (business). Put your name on it and go do it,’” said Spurrier Jr., a member of Stoops’ Sooners staff from 1999 to 2001.

It’s dumb, but not the dumbest investment we’ve heard of someone relatively successful making. That would be congressman and former San Diego Charger Jack Kemp’s decision to invest money in Au Magnetics, a company that promised to extract gold from sand. Alchemy! It’s what’s for dinner.

The SEC will continue their investigation, but it doesn’t seem like any of the big names associated with this are guilty of being anything other than gullible. (GOLD!) That may not be the case with Todd Ellis, Gamecock football announcer and former quarterback, though–he’s identified as a primary point of contact for the scheme in Columbia in the article, and that ain’t good for him.

(HT: Marc Isenberg, who has his own take on the story.)

From rakesofmallow.com:

Cliff Notes: Phil Steele's 2007 Preview As It Relates To Notre Dame, Part One

By CW Section: Football
Posted on Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 05:50:51 AM EDT

</I>

Along with many others writers in our quaint little college football blogosphere, I’m a big fan of Phil Steele’s preview magazine. He somehow manages to handle recruiting (VHTS!), stats (big on first downs and yardage advantages/disadvantages) and gut instincts that cause him to rank teams like Arkansas high in his preseason rankings, making the rest of us laugh until Darren McFadden scares the bejeesus out of everyone for a while.

<CENTER>
nationalcover174a.jpeg

Purchase your copy anywhere that sells magazines or at Phil’s website.</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER>
After picking up this year’s edition on the way down to Oakmont Thursday for the U.S. Open – fear the ‘Burgh, timid golfers! – here’s some stuff I took from it on the first quick read-through.

<CENTER>Things Phil Steele Thinks That Confirm My Prior Thinking</CENTER>
The UCLA game could be big trouble- The twenty starters returning and primetime start time worried me, but Phil feels there’s a solid chance UCLA goes into their season finale with the Trojans undefeated. While I’m sure Karl Dorrell will have something to say about that, the return of Ben Olson coupled with the fact the Bruins very well should have won the 2006 version of this game in South Bend lead me to believe October 6th could be more struggles in Los Angeles for the Irish, although the venue will be different.

Interesting Phil Stats: 49 of 61 lettermen from last season return and Dorrell is 20-5 at home as opposed to 8-13 away. Also, if you think I’m letting a reference to last year’s game go by without slipping this in, you’re crazy:

<CENTER><EMBED src=""http://www.youtube.com/v/tLqwiiBfwVs width=425 height=350 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"></CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER></EMBED>
Purdue is not going to be a walk through a shitty, flat, West LaFayette park- When looking at the schedule, I think some Irish fans are having the tendency to see the Michigan State and Purdue games as a slight reprieve between the trio of opening tests and the potentially devastatingly sad October stretch, but despite the results of the last few years, I’m not 100% confident in Weis handing it to Tiller again. While the ND offense running roughshod over the Boilermakers in “It’s 49-21, sweetheart” fashion since Weis took over makes me feel all warm inside, Purdue’s put up a respectable 41, 28 and 21 points in the last three years, and return 18 starters (9 on both sides of the ball). I know Corwin Brown may deliver us and Curtis Painter isn’t otherworldly (22:19 TD:INT last season), but considering our team is a giant question mark and they return nearly every receiver and tailback from last season, there might be some trouble.

<CENTER>
url
</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER>
Southern Cal….ugh….- Phil’s got them as his preseason number one, and for the good reasons we all know. I thought perhaps one of his simulations would spit out a season where the Trojans aren’t utterly dominant with a nasty defense, solid quarterback and stable of starry running-backs, but that’s not the case. The one ***** in USC’s armor that doesn’t really affect us is that they must travel to Nebraska, Oregon, California and Arizona State along with the South Bend trip before hosting UCLA to end the season. Say what you will about Pete Carroll – and I’ll gladly jump on the bashing – but the Trojans aren’t afraid to schedule.
Individual unit rankings for the Trojans? 4th for quarterbacks, 3rd for running backs, 6th for offensive line, 2nd for defensive line, 1st for linebackers and 2nd for secondary. The only apparent weak point is wide receiver, but there’s the prerequisite talent dripping on the outside to replace Jarrett and Smith.

Georgia Tech could be a rather miserable opener- There’ll be all sorts of excitement that comes with ringing in a new football season with an exciting out-of-region opponent and breaking in a new quarterback, but this might get unexciting rather quickly. Eight starters return from a defense that held Brady, Darius and the rest of the old guard to 14 points on a very drunk September night last season, while Taylor Bennett is set to prove “Addition by Subtraction” works, even if Calvin Johnson is going to be missing along with Reggie Ball’s consistent ineptitude. The one advantage the Irish will have is that Chan Gailey is utterly incompetent, proven by his team’s ability to win in Blacksburg one weekend and lost 31-7 to Clemson two weeks later.

(To be fair, after that Clemson game, we all thought the Tiger offense was some sort of revelation on how to run the football. Is it me or the fact it’s so much easier to scrutinize coaches with the internets and ESPNews, but are the number of bad coaches in sports climbing rather rapidly? Just watching the NBA Eastern Conference Finals made me question whether I should try to become a student manager for the hoops team and get on the Lawrence Frank path.)

<CENTER>Things Phil Steele Thinks That Surprise Me</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER>
Boston College last in their ACC division?- To come in last in any division in the ACC is really embarrassing, but that’s where Phil has the Golden Eagles placing in 2007. Citing the transition to a new offense under Jeff Jagodzinski and road games in the second half of the season versus the Irish, Hokies, Terps and Tigers, the magazine places Matt Ryan’s rather experienced squad behind Maryland, NC State, Clemson, Wake Forest and Florida State. To be fair, Phil also adds that there’s very little difference between #2 and #6 in that division and BC could also go 7-1 in league play, but I thought the 16 returning starters would make them considered a moderate favorite against teams that reek of consistent inconsistencies. And Bowdens.

Michigan as a clear-cut national title contender?- This is meant as no slight against the cavalcade of excellent Michigan bloggers all across the board, but that defense loses a lot and I’m not sure you really want Lloyd Carr offenses carrying a team. The point-scoring maize and blue could be something special, with Henne, Hart, Manningham, Arrington and Long all returning, but the defense loses a laundry list of household names from last season: David Harris, Prescott Burgess, Leon Hall, LaMarr Woodley, Alan Brach. The Wolverines do return five of their top nine tacklers to go along with getting Notre Dame, Oregon, Penn State and Ohio State at home, but they also must contend with a +14 turnover rate that will most likely regress to the mean. A four-year starter at quarterback should help ease that process, but it’s not like Henne hasn’t made a few dumb mistakes even when he’s playing well. Very interesting team and what will surely be a very interesting game in Week Three at the Big House.
(Or a blowout. Quite possibly a blowout.)

Notre Dame playing in the Gator Bowl versus Miami (FL)?- As much as I’d love to be in the Gator Bowl – that would truly be considered a victory for a rebuilding season such as this one – I feel like he’s going with the Notre Dame ratings bump here, since he has us as postseason number 38 (meaning that’s where he thinks they’ll finish looking at talent and schedule), 115th in team experience rating and 8th in worst troubles following the draft, and I don’t think that even takes into consideration Samardjiza and D-Walk, who weren’t officially drafted. If the Gator Bowl can choose from what might be a relatively strong top of the Big East this season, the Irish will need at least eight or nine wins to be considered here. I surely hope we can pull it off, but with the limited information available to us now to start making predictions and loaded front end of the schedule, I’m a bit less optimistic than the magazine.

<CENTER>
1024_large.jpg
<CENTER>Things Phil Steele Thinks That Make Me Happy</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER>
John Carlson as his number one tight end coming into the season- Someone needs to come up with some sort of slogan relating Carlson to his eventual place as Mackey winner this season. Matt Spaeth, you stole this award and the football gods used Mike Leach to condemn your Golden Gophers to bowl embarrassment. Let that be a lesson to anyone who tries to infringe on the Irish upperclassman’s run towards recognition as the top tight end in the nation.

John Sullivan as 2nd best center, Maurice Crum as 18th best inside linebacker, Sam Young as 10th best tackle- Joe Brockington is also listed as the 59th rated outside linebacker, behind Utah State’s Jake Hutton, but I wasn’t sure if that was worthy of bold font. It’s good to see some preseason recognition going to what will be the keys of both our offensive line and overall defense this season. The line and linebacking corps last season were both such messes it was hard to tell at times where the problems originated from, so it’ll be fun to see who steps up as lynchpins in youth-heavy depth charts.

<CENTER>
mackey_trophy.gif
Projected Sugar Bowl: Hawaii vs. West Virginia- I know this has nothing to do with the Irish and Rob is just seething at the thought of two teams with “gimmick” offenses playing in a BCS bowl, but how much fun would this be? There’s no way WVU’s secondary slows down Colt Brennan unless it improves considerably from last season, and there’s absolutely no way, with any manner of improvement, the Rainbow Warriors can do anything to slow down Pat White and Steve Slaton. Plus, how many times would Patty O’ Brien’s piano bar blast the rousing sound of “Country Road”? This game needs to happen.

<CENTER>Things Phil Steele Thinks That Make Me Laugh</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER>
Tom Zbikowski as his 1st strong safety, Ambrose Wooden as his 18th cornerback, Terrail Lambert as his 31st cornerback- I suppose after Mike Richardson’s turnaround before last season that anything is possible, but color me slightly skeptical after analyzing the evidence to the contrary of Phil’s thoughts regarding some of the returning members of the secondary.

The evidence I’ve spent considerable time analyzing? The entirety of last season.
<CENTER>
25422302.jpg
</CENTER>

<!-- poll box -->

Utah preview from blocku.com:

Expectations: How the season SHOULD go down

By JazzyUte Section: Football
Posted on Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 03:42:36 AM EDT

</I>

When you sit down and actually look at Utah's schedule, you realize just how f'd they really are. Because no matter how good this team is, the odds of it actually showing in their final record is slim. Let's be realistic here, the Utes aren't going undefeated and winning 10 or more games will prove to be extremely difficult. So tough in fact, that I believe we have a better chance of BYU doing something that isn't homoerotic (not that there is anything wrong with that) over the summer than the Utes have of hitting the double digit win total this season.

So how many wins can we expect from Utah? Who knows, but I think we can get an idea by breaking down the schedule into Should Win, Toss-ups and Should Lose. It's a rather simple formula that I think ultimately gives us an indication of what the expectations should be for this year. The season will be a success if Utah can win every game that's a Should Win and splitting the Toss-ups games. It'd also be nice if they could pull a stunner and win one of those games they really aren't favored at all to win.

The list will be rather simple, I'll rank each team by the level of difficulty in each category. That means from easiest to hardest. This will be done so that one isn't confused about why USU is ranked along side, say New Mexico, even though they're in the same category. Obviously New Mexico will be a tougher opponent than Utah State, but that doesn't mean Utah shouldn't beat the Lobos. Simple enough? Good. Then let's get this thing started...

Should Win:
  • USU - The Aggies are terrible and have been terrible for quite sometime. Utah has not lost to USU in 10 years and I don't see that changing this season. If, by some freak chance the Utes do lose, I say we fold up shop, cancel the football program and pump all that money into basketball.
  • @ UNLV - If you think Utah's dominance over USU is impressive, look at what they've done to the Rebels. The way Utah has sodomized UNLV over the years probably makes them felons in 25 states. The Utes haven't lost to UNLV in 28 years (the first meeting) and have won 11 straight since. That's an 11-1 record and they better run it to 12-1, or I'd probably be in support of storming Rice-Eccles and somehow overturning that massive press box.
  • SDSU - The Aztecs are coming off a 9-loss season, with one of those losses being a 38-7 embarrassment to the Utes. Second year head coach Chuck Long will be looking to turn things around, but will have an uphill battle and I don't see San Diego State pulling out a victory in Salt Lake. Maybe if they had Tom Craft as coach, but Long seems to be way in over his head, even more so than Craft, whose ability to lose with topnotch talent was in a class of its own.
  • Air Force - The Falcons are the biggest unknown of any Mountain West team, because no one knows how good they will be under new head coach Troy Calhoun. Since he's dropping the wishbone and adopting a traditional Big 12-style offense, the Falcons might surprise some people. Or they might flop even worse than they were under DeBerry last year. Even so, this is an early game (2nd of the season) and I expect the Falcons to continue working out the kinks in their offense, which should ultimately benefit Utah.
  • Wyoming - The Cowboys are always tough, but they haven't faired well in Salt Lake City. The last time they were here, in 2005, the Utes gave them their worst loss of the season and though I don't expect such a dominate effort this year, I do expect a victory. Utah has too much talent and too much history on its side to lose to Wyoming at home. And if they aren't pissed about last year's whacking in Laramie, they have zero heart.
  • @ CSU - Ok, so Utah doesn't play all that great in Fort Collins, only winning once since 1995. But this is the Rams, and they just aren't good anymore. Which has got to be difficult for their fans, since they were once the best team in the conference just a few short years ago. So while it should be tough and Utah will need to buck recent history, this should be a win for Utah. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way to lose this game.
  • New Mexico - I don't know what the University of Utah did to Rocky Long, but he sure has it in for the Utes. The Lobos have won 3 of 4 and the past two contests have seen Utah's leads evaporate and their final, possible game winning drive fall to the ground like a fiery plane crash. Utah better win this game, because if they don't, the Lobos can officially deem the Utes their bitch.
That's 7 games the Utes should win and anything less will likely be seen as a devastating season. Oh 6-6 wouldn't be the end of the world, but it could come close, since the above 7-games all should go Utah's way. Losing one of these games, or god forbid two, could mean heads might roll. But if the Utes win them all and then get a game or two in the toss-up category, they could be sitting pretty.

Toss-ups:
  • @ BYU - The Cougars will be tough, but Utah has done well down in Provo (only losing once since 1993). I don't expect that to change and this game is one Utah should always win. But I know reality and reality tells me something different and BYU won't be an easy opponent. This could go either way and as of right now I give a slight edge to BYU. Now someone douse me in gasoline and light me on fire...I feel dirty.
  • @ OSU - The Beavers will be breaking in a new quarterback, but they can't be underestimated. It'll be the first game of the season in a hostile environment and you better believe Oregon State will be pumped. This will be a very difficult game for Utah and they will need to play nearly flawlessly if they're going to win, because any errors, no matter how slight, could derail their confidence early. And we all remember the UCLA game, where a lack of confidence doomed Utah in the second half.
Only two toss-up games, which means if the Utes can win both, then win all the should wins, they will be playing for a 10-win season during their bowl game. I guess BYU won't be using the slip-n-slide now. Oh well, no homoerotic adventures for the Cougars this summer.

broncoslide.jpg
Wee, water sports!

Should Lose:
  • UCLA - The Bruins manhandled Utah in the second half of last year's season opener and while I expect a much better game since it's being played in Salt Lake, it'll be very tough. UCLA is a possible top-10 team and if they play up to their talent (where does this sound familiar?), they won't be beat here, or there or anywhere (except maybe by USC). I'd like to think Utah can win this game, but they won't be favored and therefore I see this as a should lose.
  • @ TCU - I wavered back and forth between putting TCU here or in the toss-up category, but decided this was the best fit. Going to Fort Worth and beating a TCU team that's probably pissed off at last season's meltdown against Utah, might be asking for too much. I hate the idea of losing to them, but they clearly are the class of the league and until Utah can prove they can beat elite teams on the road, I'll expect the worst.
  • @ Louisville - Probably the toughest game on the schedule, as the Cardinals could win the Big East and play in yet another BCS Bowl game. The big question though will be whether Steve Kragthorpe can keep building on what Bob Petrino started, and that won't be easy. After watching his offense putter against the Utes when he was coaching Tulsa in the Armed Forces Bowl, I do question if he's a good enough coach to live up to the expectations set by Cardinals fans. But with the talent they have and the fact Brian Brohm is returning, they should be easily favored against Utah at home.
That's three games the Utes should lose. Group that with the 7 games they should win and the two toss-ups and you get a probable 8 or 9 win season (counting the bowl game). If that happens, with this schedule, I'll be extremely pleased and down right giddy for 2008. <!-- poll box -->

Cincinnati preview by orange44.blogspot.com:

2007 Big East Football Prospectus Part 1: Cincinnati

<SMALL class=metadata>0 Comments </SPAN>Published on 6.15.2007 by Brian Harrison </SMALL>
<SMALL class=metadata></SMALL>

Editor’s Note: This is part one of an eight part series giving analysis of each of the eight teams in the Big East Football Conference, proceeding alphabetically, but ending with Syracuse. A new team will be released each weekday for the next eight days. Feel free to use the comment section to supplement the facts and analysis presented, however my opinions will stand. Enjoy and I hope you are looking forward to the new Big East football season as much as I am.

Football; the corner stone of the NCAA, the number one money making college sport, and one very entertaining game to sit down on a Saturday and watch. With the end of the lacrosse season (I was rooting for Duke?!?), the fact the Bee is done (DING!), and the spring weather here, minds tend to wander to the next major sport on the docket, and look with new hope and anticipation at a new football squad looking to take the field in the Carrier Dome. But, you may ask, “How the hell are we gonna do in the Big East this year?” Good question. Let us wonder down the path of pontification and analysis at this year’s Big East Football Conference.

Cincinnati
Preview - New Cincinnati Coach Brian Kelly (and by new I mean was thrown into the job last season after their coach bolted for Michigan State) takes the helm for his first full season. This guy likes to throw the ball so he’s going to be looking for big things from returning QB Dustin Grutza. Having a decent year last year (137/225, 1632yds, 9 TD, 13 INT, sacked 23 times), the team had a nice win in the International Bowl over Western Michigan. Spread Offense is the system that this coach is trying to install, so a lot depends on the team adjusting to this new system. If the team grasps it quickly and competently, and they manage to open the playbook, this team could have moderate success and match their 2006 record of 8-5. However, their leading receiver, TE Brent Celek, has graduated, leaving the big mystery as to who will step up and catch the football in this new system, which will greatly increase the number of times the ball will be thrown. They have a talented receiver core, but have failed to show consistency in the last few seasons. Their defense, which was top five in total defense in the Big East last season, has a lot of players returning.

Key Returning Players - QB Dustin Grutza, RB Greg Moore, WR Dominick Goodman.

Key Losses - K Kevin Lovell, TE Brent Celek, C Jeff Reinstatler.

My Thoughts – This team is going to be middle of the pack in the Big East at best. With a fairly experienced running game that Coach Dantonio used a lot last year, this team could open the pass up nicely. Grasping the system will be the key question. If they fail to progress quickly this could be a problem. I have a feeling the defense will be winning the games for the Bearcats next season at best.

Will We Beat Them? – I think this is a very possible win for the Orange. Look for us pass early after the snap with a three step drop on some slants, and when they least expect it… the long ball to Taj Smith. It is also the last home game of the season, so the “back against the wall” mentality to get a sixth win or save face could be a big factor for the Orange in the Dome.

UConn preview from orange44.blogspot.com:

2007 Big East Football Prospectus Part 2: Connecticut

<SMALL class=metadata>0 Comments </SPAN>Published on 6.18.2007 by Brian Harrison </SMALL>
<SMALL class=metadata></SMALL>

Editor’s Note: This is part two of an eight part series giving analysis of each of the eight teams in the Big East Football Conference, proceeding alphabetically, but ending with Syracuse. A new team will be released each weekday for the next eight days. Feel free to use the comment section to supplement the facts and analysis presented, however my opinions will stand. Enjoy and I hope you are looking forward to the new Big East football season as much as I am. Part one can be found here.

Connecticut
Preview – After two pretty terrible seasons in the Big East Coach Randy Edsall is looking to have his squad win a few more games this year. After a season with the dreaded “two-headed quarterback” system in play, and failure to find consistency other than the running game, UConn looks forward to a season with a semi-competent man behind center in JUCO transfer Tyler Lorenzen, who impressed in the Spring Game. UConn, who has only managed one conference win last year, will look to sophomore RB Donald Brown to carry the load for the Huskies on the ground. He looked great last year filling in for the injured Terry Caulley, gaining excellent stats for the year and averaging 134.6yds in five starts (896yds on 161att, 5.6avg, 7 TD). The rest of the running backs for UConn look like the will produce as well. Their offensive line could show some problems however, as they had a total of nine starters on the line last season, and they lose one of their most experienced guards with graduation. Connecticut’s special teams is a joke, as their top two kickers combined for 5-14 FG. The Huskies have also had a myriad of off field issues, well publicized by this website. This could continue to be a distraction for the squad if they to not get a handle on their players this off season. A bit of advice… do not punch the manager of Wingz Over Storrs outside of the establishment after you use a stolen credit card in front of a cop.

Key Returning Players – RB Donald Brown, WR Terence Jeffers, QB/WR D.J. Hernandez

Key Losses – RB Terry Caulley, QB Matt Bonislawski, G Immanuel Hutcherson

My Thoughts – This new quarterback may cause some problems for teams, bur really this is not the top strength of Connecticut. A team must stop the run to have success against UConn, however I just do not see this team really being in the mix yet again, or for several years to come. Edsall’s clock is ticking loudly in Storrs. With a brand new football complex, and many season ticket holders, UConn’s Athletic Department will be looking for results, rather than excuses. Even with the new facilities, their recruiting class was less than stellar. It is do or die for Edsall, but I have a feeling he will be dead in two years. Look for Connecticut at the bottom of the Big East for another season.

Will We Beat Them? – I usually like our chances versus Connecticut, however once again we find the team traveling to East Hartford to Rentschler Field. The team has traditionally played well against UConn in the Dome, however, when real weather is applied, the team may collapse like a house of cards. If we apply pressure to the QB/RB, manage a few sack lunches and some losses, and generally look sharp on defense, UConn’s confidence will surely be shaken down at the Rent. If we score early we may never look back. I think we can gain a conference win from the U of Conn, and if not, may God have mercy on my soul, as I now live in Connecticut. I’m sure Matt will get grief from his family and friends as well.

Outstanding stuff, Ross! Only scanned it for now since I am busy w/work but this looks like some outstanding information.

Glad your posting more often.

UConn has a new kicker/punter who will get the FG action and XP action this year. Good to know that our little Syracuse blogger here has no idea what he is talking about. Also, I think Edsall's clock is far from running out-it isn't like UConn is going to be able to make a big hire, and Edsall has been a fairly stable hand. This should be a MUCH better year for them.

Here's an article about Wisconsin football and how Coach Bielema is dealing with the hype. The reason I posted it is he talks about the QB battle between Tyler Donovan and Allan Everidge, and how Donovan has a leg up in the battle because of his experience. In my opinion if Donovan is annointed starter early in camp and not a game time decision, the Badgers offense should be clicking during non-conference play. If it's a game time decision or made the days before the 1st game or if Everidge is starter, they will have problems adjusting without Stocco. The reason why I think this is because last year Bielema recruited Brent Schaefer hard and almost got him. That shows to me, he never felt good about Donovan replacing Stocco and wants to get his own guy in there.

UW football: Bielema, Badgers deal with more hype
TOM MULHERN 608-252-6169
tmulhern@madison.com
A year ago, the University of Wisconsin football team had a giant unknown. It was the guy sitting in the head coach's chair, with the fantastic view, in the big office at the north end of Camp Randall Stadium.Second-year UW coach Bret Bielema is the first to acknowledge no one knew how he would perform last year, from the writers and editors who put together the preseason football magazines, to the high school seniors who were trying to make decisions about what schools to attend.
"We had seven kids that signed with us this past February that were commits to other schools and I couldn't blame them," Bielema said.
"When we made contact with them again, I said, 'I understand, you've got a rookie coach, you've got seven new (assistant) coaches and a bunch of new starters on offense and defense. I understand why there was skepticism. But just believe in what we can do."'

After finishing 12-1 last season, Bielema is making a lot of people believers, starting with the preseason magazines that are showing up on newsstands.
The Badgers are ranked as high as No. 4, by Athlon Sports. They are ranked No. 6 by Lindy's Sports Annuals, No. 8 by The Sporting News and No. 16 by Phil Steele's. That's in stark contrast to last year, when UW went into the season unranked and didn't break into The Associated Press Top 25 until a 5-1 start.
Those lofty rankings come despite the need to find a new starting quarterback to replace the departed John Stocco, a three-year starter. Fifth-year senior Tyler Donovan and junior transfer Allan Evridge shared the job during spring practice and were supposed to be deadlocked going into fall camp.
But in one of his strongest public comments thus far on the situation, Bielema admitted Donovan has an edge, having started and won the final two regular-season games last season."It's not too hard to figure out as a head coach, it's very hard to sit down a guy that's a starter, that's won two ballgames," Bielema said.
"Tyler's been in the program for five years and the kids respond to him and react to him. It's going to be something to watch. Tyler probably has the upper hand, just because of the experience factor: been there, done that."
Evridge started six games as a redshirt freshman at Kansas State in 2005 and the fact he has been able to turn it into a competition is a good sign, Bielema believes.
"The good thing is, we have a (quarterback) question," Bielema said. "To me, that's a good thing, because you've got two guys that have been able to do things in the past. I really like the way both of them played in the spring."

The high rankings are mostly to be expected, given the Badgers return nine starters on offense, seven on defense, as well as their kicker, punter and long snapper, from a team that finished seventh in the media poll and fifth in the coaches' poll at the end of last season.
"I say this and I wholeheartedly believe it and I'm not going to vary from it: We're not going to change what we do," Bielema said. "Last year, we were maybe not as highly publicized or regarded going into the season, but I set up the camp schedule, I set up practices and our coaches worked on game plans, the same exact way they'll work this year."
Having said that, Bielema admits starting the season in the top 10 would be a big advantage. As last year's team learned, it's a long climb into Bowl Championship Series contention for teams that start the year outside the Top 25.
"Obviously, it would (make a difference)," Bielema said of starting in the top 10. "But on the same account, as much as we went through last year and what we're going to talk about going into this season, we don't change anything we do.
"Now, the thing we have to balance all the time is our players' expectations," he added. "Just because you are ranked this, doesn't mean you are that. It's going to be great for me to be able to leverage last year versus this year, within our own players' minds, to understand, we probably deserved to be ranked a little higher than we were a year ago. But on the same account, what they're saying about us this year means nothing. It's the final numbers that really matter."
To clear up a couple of questions left hanging at the end of the spring, sophomore wide receiver Xavier Harris is still with the team. He went home to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., to clear up some personal matters but academics were never an issue.
Also, wide receivers Jarvis Minton and Jarmal Ruffin will not be with the team in the fall.
The biggest change for Bielema, from last summer to this one, is his dance card is even more crowded. He said Saturday was his first afternoon off in 17 days and the banquet circuit has taken him to Mazomanie, Wausau, Milwaukee and Dodgeville in recent days.
"When you win 12 ballgames and only lose one, you become popular," he said.
Word finally seems to be getting out nationally that the Badgers lead all Big Ten Conference schools with 31 wins over the past three seasons. Ohio State is second with 30. Bielema just doesn't want his players to forget how they accomplished that.
"I do believe, we're kind of a novelty," Bielema said. "There's not a team in the Big Ten that's won more games than we have over the last three years. You can't fake winning. The numbers tell you what you do.
"The more people begin to realize that ... we're not a sexy school, but the more they realize we can compete with the big boys, the more it comes out."

Last edited:
Blackshoediaries.com's preview of Illinois:

Sizing Up The Big Ten - Illinois

By Mike Section: Football
Posted on Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 10:28:40 PM EDT

</I>

I'm not sure how we manage to keep this two-bit blog going through the offseason, but we're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Starting today we'll break down each Big Ten team one at a time. Hopefully I can get one or two of these done per week. We'll go in alphabetical order. Today we'll start with the University of Illinois [Mascot Redacted].

Team Overview

Since winning the Big Ten Championship in 2001, the Fighting Whatevers are a disappointing 13-45. 2007 will be Ron Zook's third season at Illinois since being banished from Florida where Urban Meyer just won a National Championship with his recruits. Though Zook's record at Illinois thus far has been less than stellar, he has brought in solid recruiting classes in back to back seasons. Although they only won two games last year they were much more competitive than their record indicates. They nearly upset Wisconsin, Penn State, and Ohio State and managed to beat Michigan State in East Lansing. While this was great for Illinois, it was a dark day in the blogosphere since it was the beginning of the end for John L. Smith, a subject of some fantastic blog material.

The Offense
juice1.jpg
Realizing his team was going to be pretty crappy last year, Zook decided to start true freshman Juice Williams against Iowa...and went on to lose 7-24. But the following week he rode Williams to a thrilling 23-20 upset of Michigan State in East Lansing. Juice-Mania was born.
The rest of the season Williams was a one dimensional dual threat quarterback, if there is such a thing. Maybe we should call him a running back that occasionally threw the ball to wide open spaces. Williams led the team in rushing with 770 yards, but had a Big Ten worst completion percentage of 39.5%. He should surely improve this year, but Zook better hope he doesn't get injured since the bench is not very deep or impressive after Juice.

Realizing his passing game probably wasn't going to win many games, Zook instituted an option attack against Penn State last season with much success. Illinois led the conference in rushing yards per game last year with 188.8. Pierre Thomas graduated, so Rashard Mendenhall figures to pick up the slack. Mendenhall had 653 yards last year averaging 8.2 ypc as a sophomore. Penn State fans will remember Mendenhall for his long run against the Nittany Lions in which Justin King ran him down from behind and tackled him just shy of the endzone.

The passing game has to improve this year with all of the talent returning. The top four leading receivers from last year all return including Kyle Hudson who recorded 30 catches for 403 yards and 3 TD. Uber-recruit Arrelious Benn joins the team and figures to make an immediate impact as a true freshman. Benn joined the team in January and participated in spring practice. Reportedly he is better than advertised.

Although the Illini lost four year starter Matt Maddox, the offensive line is much more experienced (three seniors, one junior) and should be one of the better offensive lines in the Big Ten. Their rushing statistics last year were very impressive with a 5.2 ypc average, however they gave up 2.5 sacks per game good enough for #91 in the NCAA in that statistic.

The Defense

So sure. Illinois could have a great offense this year if they put all the pieces together. But they won't win many games because their defense sucks, right? Not so fast my friend. Last year Zook's D gave up a stingy 128 yards on the ground and 182 yards through the air per game. Not spectacular numbers, but good enough to rank them in the middle of the pack in the Big Ten. With nine starters coming back and an infusion of young talent coming in the Illini will undoubtedly improve on those statistics.

The defensive line returns seven of the top eight players from the group that held opponents to 3.3 yards per carry in 2006. Chris Norwell is the headliner. The 6'6" 290 lb senior had 5 sacks and 7.5 TFL last season. True freshmen sensation D'Angelo McCray may push for playing time if not a starting position if his recovery from offseason knee surgery goes well. Sophomore Doug Pilcher started 11 games last year, but he may have his hands full holding off Jerry Brown if he plays like he did in the spring.

During the spring game Brown recorded 1.5 sacks and 2.5 TFL against the first team offensive line. This group of defensive linemen has a tremendous mix of experience and young talent.
jleman.jpg
All three linebackers return from a year ago. Senior J Leman earned first team All Big Ten honors in 2006 with a jaw dropping 152 tackles to go with his four sacks.

The other two guys, Antonio Steele and Brit Miller won't be winning any Big Ten honors, but they are serviceable and do an ok job.

The secondary has a good mix of size, speed, and experience. Vontae Davis made a splash starting in 11 games as a true freshman last year and proved himself to be a better than average cornerback. Sophomore Travon Bellamy figures to take over the other corner spot vacated by Alan Ball. Justin Harrison and Kevin Mitchell are both multiple year starters, so the safeties figure to be solid. The Illinois pass defense was good last year, and figures to improve this year. This is not a defense to take lightly.

Special Teams

Jason Reda is a very respectable field goal kicker with tons of experience. Kyle Yelton did ok as a true freshman with a 37.4 yard average per punt, but the punt coverage was awful as Illinois averaged just 29 yards net punting. The punt and kickoff return teams were also pretty poor, but this year Zook has enough althetes to man some pretty good special teams. They'll still be inexperienced and probably not very good, but they should get better.

The Schedule

madzook.jpg
Last year Illinois lucked out missing Michigan and Minnesota, two teams that both went bowling in 2006. This year the UM's come back while Michigan State and Purdue rotate off. The out of conference schedule looks manageable with Missouri at home, Western Illinois, Ball State and a game at Syracuse. The conference schedule is brutal, but they get Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan at home.

Call It A Good Year If...

They go to a bowl game for the first time since 2001. There's a good chance Illinois could start of 4-0 if they pull out a win at Syracuse. By November they should be good enough to beat Minnesota and Northwestern. With Ball State mixed in there in late October this team has the potential to win six or seven games. And don't be surprised if they put a scare or two into one of the upper Big Ten teams along the way.

Put Zook On Suicide Watch If...

They only win one Big Ten game against Indiana and manage to lose two or more games out of conference. Worst case scenario the Illini go 2-10 once again.

My Hunch
Illinois had a good though one dimensional offense last year and the defense was respectable. The killer for them was special teams and turnovers (-15 in turnover margin). Turn these things around and the Illini are a team to be feared. I think Illinois will beat Western Illinois and Ball State. They will beat either Missouri or Syracuse, but not both. They'll get three wins in the conference against Indiana, Minnesota, and Northwestern. That gives them six wins right there, but I think they will get one more upset win against either Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State, or (gulp) Penn State. No way they beat Michigan. I'm predicting Illinois goes 7-5 with a 4-4 conference record which could land them in the Alamo Bowl. <!-- poll box -->

SI says that the WAC is the best mid-major conference:

WAC has become America's top mid-major conference

Posted: Monday June 18, 2007 12:25PM; Updated: Tuesday June 19, 2007 12:30AM

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad width="100%">
t1_johnsonproposal.jpg

Ian Johnson's proposal to cheerleader Chrissy Popadics capped one of the most memorable games in college football history.
AP

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad>
advertisement_down.gif
<NOSCRIPT>
</NOSCRIPT>
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnstoryclpad>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Colt Brennan and Ian Johnson graced the cover of the WAC's spring preview. The picture featured both players standing with their arms crossed behind the headline "Heisman Hopefuls: Two of the Nation's Best Make Another Run [or Pass] at the Heisman Trophy," with the iconic piece of hardware pictured in the background.

"We did that with a purpose," conference commissioner Karl Benson said. "That was to remind the media and remind the voters in various preseason polls that not only did Boise State finish the season in the Top 10 and Hawaii finish the season in the Top 25 [in the USA Today Coaches' Poll], but both those teams have the premier, marquee, Heisman-type players coming back."

How could anyone forget the last we saw of Johnson? The Boise State running back was down on bended knee proposing to cheerleader Chrissy Popadics after the Broncos' miraculous Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma. And Brennan left a lasting impression, too, setting the NCAA single-season record for touchdown passes (58). Benson would be remiss if he didn't take full advantage of this mid-major's darling status and its most recognizable faces. Eight years after its last four charter members -- BYU, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming -- left to form the Mountain West, the new WAC is reveling in its golden age. It's all largely due to that golden moment in which the Broncos defeated Oklahoma, capping a 13-0 season with three trick plays that will stand the test of time.

"The Boise State win over Oklahoma was the grandest day in WAC history," Benson said. "It was the biggest win in WAC history."

And while the Broncos and Brennan -- who broke or tied 16 NCAA records in arguably the most productive single season in history -- garner all the attention, the nation's best non-BCS conference is deeper than its poster children. The WAC returns a number of national leaders aside from Brennan: New Mexico State's Chris Williams (receptions and receiving yards per game) and Chase Holbrook (completions per game), San Jose State linebacker Dwight Lowery (the country's top returning tackler) and Idaho safety Stanley Franks (interceptions per game). The league also went 3-1 in bowls last season -- Boise State, Hawaii and San Jose State prevailed, while Nevada was the only loser.

The flagship program, Boise State, has garnered household-name status. There is a movie being made about Boise State's undefeated season. So how are the Broncos coping with the new set of distractions? By putting the past in the past: Fiesta Bowl gear has been barred from Boise State's weight room.

"The bigger this program grows the more distractions we seem to have," Boise State coach Chris Petersen said. "We kind of played from an underdog role in the past, which really isn't the case anymore. Whether we're better or worse, I think the perception of us is different. People aren't going to look past us. Our whole thing is we're going right back to work."
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1.gif

1 of 2

For the conference, going back to work means facing a rather difficult task: following up a season that is likely impossible to match. Boise State lost 23 seniors (11 of which attended NFL camps, including starting quarterback Jared Zabransky), while Brennan and the favorite Warriors will be playing one less game after failing to find a 13th opponent. Says Hawaii coach June Jones: "Nobody wants to play us."

The bar has been set high. If the league doesn't enjoy similar success to last season -- when the stars seemed to be aligned for this mid-major -- Brennan and Johnson (who were sixth and eighth, respectively, in the '06 Heisman voting) could be out of luck in trying to become the first player from a non-traditional power to win the stiff-armed trophy since Houston's Andre Ware (1989) and BYU's Ty Detmer ('90).

"I know that it certainly put everybody on notice, last year. But you have to go off, 'What have you done for me now,' " Jones said. "I think realistically, Boise State would have go to another 13-0 and Ian would have to have the year he had to even be in the hunt for that trophy, and Colt would have to do the same."

But regardless of whether the WAC can match last season or not, the league is already accomplishing its main objective: taking its place as the cream of the crop among the non-BCS conferences (above the MAC, Conference USA, Mountain West and Sun Belt).

"Our goal is to be the highest rated of those five conferences and to separate ourselves from the others," Benson said. "Last year was a great beginning of establishing ourselves as the best of the group of five."

To appreciate the current state of the WAC, one has to look at the conference's revolving door over the last eight years. In all, 24 different schools have been part of the conference and only three remain from that '99 breakup (Fresno State, Hawaii and San Jose State). The conference had to deal with losing its only real history in BYU, which delivered a national title in '84 and a Heisman winner, and TCU, which bolted for C-USA after nearly crashing the BCS party in '00. But the current nine-team lineup has a 32-24-2 bowl record, the highest winning percentage of the 11 Division I-A conferences based on their current membership.

This is no overnight success story, even if before last season the casual fan saw Boise State largely as a novelty act that played on a Smurf-blue field and rarely saw Hawaii at all, considering the Warriors often play well after most people are asleep.

"I think the last four or five years we have not been given the credit that was due," Jones said. "You can go back four or five years ago, just after the breakup, and look at the bowl wins versus the BCS teams, we've held our own. Because of Boise State's win over Oklahoma and Colt's presence in the national media, we're finally starting to get credit for what has happened."

Thanks to the hook-and-ladder, the QB-in-motion play, the Statue of Liberty and Brennan's onslaught on the record books, the WAC has our attention. But it's what the conference does with its newfound status that will decide whether it's ready to truly cement its place as the nation's premier mid-major conference.

Extra emotion and extra motivation for IU now, particularly in the opener (remember NW last year):

Hoosiers’ Hoeppner Loses His Battle with Cancer

by Brian Sakowski @ 9:17 am. Filed under Coaching, College Football News
<!-- meta -->
ncf_a_hoeppner_65.jpg

Indiana Hoosiers’ officials have announced that Head Coach Terry Hoeppner has died at the age of 59 after a long battle with brain cancer. Hoeppner has been battling cancer on and off for the past few years. He’s been an inspiration to many around the country during the past 18 months as he battled cancer while trying to continue to coach.
“Terry’s fight was courageous and will serve as an inspiration to those who have known him,” Indiana athletic director Rick Greenspan said in a statement released by the university. “This is a truly sad day for our community, and all of our thoughts and prayers are with the Hoeppner family and to those whose lives he has touched.”
Hoeppner is survived by his wife, three children: Amy, Allison and Drew; and four grandchildren. God bless and may you Rest in Peace Mr. Hoeppner.

Toughest schedules for 2007:

Toughest Schedules? SEC's Got 'Em

Posted Jun 19th 2007 8:10AM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: Auburn Football, Florida Football, Georgia Football, LSU Football, Tennessee Football, SEC, South Carolina Football
southcarolina-fans.jpg
Rivals.com's Top 25 2007 schedules:

1. Washington
2. South Carolina
3. Florida State
4. Michigan State
5. Auburn
6. Tennessee
7. Florida
8. USC
9. Stanford
10. Mississippi State
11. Kentucky
12. Nebraska
13. Notre Dame
14. Georgia
15. Michigan
16. Purdue
17. Illinois
18. LSU
19. Boston College
20. Washington State
21. West Virginia
22. Arizona
23. Pitt
24. Maryland
25. Texas A&M

Yessir, that's 8 SEC teams in the Top 25. Actually, all eight are within the Top 20, seven are in the Top 15, and five are in the Top 10.

Ranking it by conference, I get:

1st place: 8 teams - SEC
2nd pace: 6 teams - Big 12
3rd place: 5 teams - Pac-10
4th place: 4 teams - Big Ten (5 if you count Notre Dame)
5th place: 3 teams - ACC
6th place: 2 teams - Big East

Of note: Steve Spurrier has stated that unlike his first two years at USC East, his goal in '07 is to win an SEC Championship. If he accomplishes that feat -- considering how tough South Carolina's schedule is -- maybe, just maybe, the Gamecocks could be in contention for a national championship bid. Some will say the schedule makes it impossible -- are they the same people who said Florida couldn't do it in 2006?

L-ville preview from orange44.blogspot.com:

2007 Big East Football Prospectus Part 3: Louisville

<SMALL class=metadata>0 Comments </SPAN>Published on 6.19.2007 by Brian Harrison </SMALL>

Editor’s Note: This is part three of an eight part series giving analysis of each of the eight teams in the Big East Football Conference, proceeding alphabetically, but ending with Syracuse. A new team will be released each weekday for the next eight days. Feel free to use the comment section to supplement the facts and analysis presented, however my opinions will stand. Enjoy and I hope you are looking forward to the new Big East football season as much as I am. Part two can be found here.

Louisville
Preview – Louisville returns to the Big East this season after winning the Orange Bowl against ACC Champion Wake Forrest. They return with the most productive QB in the Big East in Heisman candidate Brian Brohm (199/313, 3049yds, 16 TD, 5 INT, sacked 16 times), but lose their stud running back in Michael Bush. With new coach Steve Kragthorpe at the helm, half his work is done in convincing Brohm to stay for his senior season. Brohm already has a grasp of Kragthorpe’s spread offense and looked just as good in their spring game. Look for Brohm to throw to his tight end quite a lot. Also, plan on L’ville to utilize running back by committee to replace the dominance of Michael Bush. Their secondary took a major hit with the loss of William Yag and will be the biggest weakness for Louisville. The right side of their offensive line will be new this year as well, so look for opposing defenses to attack from that side.

Key Returning Players – QB Brian Brohm, WR Harry Douglas, WR Mario Urrutia

Key Losses – RB Michael Bush, DT Amobi Okoye, CB William Yag

My Thoughts – This will be another solid year for the Cardinals. They will have much success doing what they did the previous season. If Brohm stays healthy, look for this team to be in a top bowl game. Look for this team to again be in the hunt for that BCS birth.

Will We Beat Them? – Not so much. Not much analysis needed here. Unless some crazy awesome miracle happens. In which case my pants will be removed and I’ll shotgun a beer. This is a game early in the season, so if it was later I’d say we maybe could do something. However, at this point we probably will not be firing on all cylinders and will be at Louisville. You do the math on that one.

Keys for success for Buckeyes from buckeyecommentary.com:

Five Musts for Our Gridiron Gang

June 18 2007 10:57 PM Filed in: Football
The complete lack of football newsworthy items is fantastic. That means no one is imitating Pacman Jones nor do we have any freak accidents. Instead we have our head coach apologizing, in so many words, to the Big Ten for the national title game and eager to get going in August. And, just what about this coming year? Depending on who you talk to, expectations are all over the map but there are a few things that must happen in order to make noise on the national title scene. In Letterman-like reverse order...

5) Paging Ray Small - Simply put, we need a field stretching wide-receiver step up and produce. Ted Ginn struck fear in every defensive coordinator and to compensate, they rolled coverage all year. Defenses will play us more honestly now until someone shows they can get vertical. That someone isn't Brian Robiskie - he's more of a technical route runner who won't usually stun you with speed. Enter Ray Small who has all the tools to become "the next Ted Ginn" at Ohio State. Unfortunately, right now he's more known for getting knocked out than making big plays. That will change quickly.

beaniewells.jpg

4) Keep Beanie Fresh - Chris 'Beanie' Wells (pic) will be a load next year. Speed, power, tremendous nickname - he has it all. Plus, ask Michigan about vision. But, I fear he may be called on too much during the year because of the lack of proven backups. It'll be important for us to not overuse Beanie early where, by season's end, he's worn out. Only Maurice Wells and gang can help out with this issue.

3) Cover Up DT - We have said goodbye to Quinn Pitcock and David Patterson, which is the problem. We are devoid of any legitimate returning experience in the middle of the defensive line. The strength of our linebacking crew will need to cover the, mostly likely, large gaps they'll see directly in front of them. I have faith in Doug Worthington, Todd Denlinger and others but I'm also realistic. This unit will need some time.

2) Return of Russell - Anderson Russell went down with an ACL injury at Iowa last year. The injury happened on a benign looking special teams play but the impact on the defense was significant. Russell was clearly a rising star at the time of the injury and it stunted his growth as a player and the secondary as unit. Jamario O'Neal, a more highly rated player out of HS, filled in admirably but he didn't perform nearly to the levels of Russell. All indications are Russell will be full go this fall and his return will should bolster an already strong back 7.

1) No QB Carousel - From what I can tell, Todd Boeckman has the starting quarterback job wrapped up. Or, at least, it is his to lose. But, I don't care really who starts, be it Todd or Antonio or Robbie. What I think is important is that we don't suffer through a quarterback rotation. A commitment to the starter will lead to quicker improvement, better timing with new receivers and higher probability of more victories. The only time to endorse change is if the quarterbacking is awful in a long-term sort of way.

A look at the Gamecock offense (and gratuitous cock joke and photo) from rollbamaroll.com:

I Wanna SEC You Up: The South Carolina Offense

By Todd Section: Football
Posted on Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 09:01:42 AM EDT

</I>

Since we don't play South Carolina this year, I'm only doing a cursory overview of the offense, defense, and schedule because, well, who cares (other than Hack)?
cocksrock.jpg

The above picture is a blatant attempt at driving up the Google image search hits with the file name "cocksrock.jpg". For those of you that find us this way, shame on you.

And since Steve Spurrier is the head man in Columbia now, it's only fitting that we start off with the offense.

After leading the 'Cocks to back to back bowl berths in his first two years (the only SC coach to do so), Spurrier is looking to get South Carolina into the race for the East, and hopefully an SEC title, the first conference title for SC since their 1969 ACC title. Since most coaches generally hit their stride in year three with their own players now in the lineup, there's more than an outside chance that the OBC could pull it off. Despite the loss of scary good WR Sidney Rice and Syvelle Newton, who lined up at WR, QB, and TB last year, Spurrier has the players to take a shot at Atlanta, and are closer to a breakthrough than most would imagine. Last season shook out like this for the 'Cocks:

<TABLE width=300><TBODY><TR bgColor=#990033><TD align=left>8/31</TD><TD align=left>at Mississippi State</TD><TD align=left>15-0</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>9/09</TD><TD align=left>vs Georgia</TD><TD align=left>0-18</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#990033><TD align=left>9/16</TD><TD align=left>vs Wofford</TD><TD align=left>27-20</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>9/23</TD><TD align=left>vs Florida Atlantic</TD><TD align=left>45-6</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#990033><TD align=left>9/28</TD><TD align=left>vs Auburn</TD><TD align=left>17-24</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>10/07</TD><TD align=left>at Kentucky</TD><TD align=left>24-17</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#990033><TD align=left>10/21</TD><TD align=left>at Vanderbilt</TD><TD align=left>31-13</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>10/28</TD><TD align=left>vs Tennessee</TD><TD align=left>24-31</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#990033><TD align=left>11/04</TD><TD align=left>vs Arkansas</TD><TD align=left>20-26</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>11/11</TD><TD align=left>at Florida</TD><TD align=left>16-17</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#990033><TD align=left>11/18</TD><TD align=left>vs Middle Tennessee State</TD><TD align=left>52-7</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>11/25</TD><TD align=left>at Clemson</TD><TD align=left>31-28</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#990033><TD align=left>12/29</TD><TD align=left>vs Houston (Liberty Bowl)</TD><TD align=left>44-36</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

After being shout out by Georgia in week two and a near embarassment to 1-AA Wofford the next Saturday, Spurrier put things together with decisive wins over Florida Atlantic, Vanderbilt, Middle Tennessee, and a quality Houston team in the Liberty Bowl, while also eeking out a squeaker in a come from behind victory at arch rival Clemson. But what was most impressive about last year's 'Cocks were their losses. Outside of the 18-0 loss to UGA, the 'Cocks were within a TD or less of upsetting the likes of Auburn (17-24), Tennessee (24-31), Arkansas (20-26), and at Florida, where SC was a blocked field goal or two away from upsetting the eventual national champions. Unsurprisingly, the offense was in the top half of the conference last year:

<TABLE width=200><TBODY><TR bgColor=#990033><TD align=left>Category</TD><TD align=left>Rank</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Scoring Offense</TD><TD align=left>6th</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Passing Offense</TD><TD align=left>4th</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Passing Efficiency</TD><TD align=left>5th</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Rushing Offense</TD><TD align=left>6th</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Total Offense</TD><TD align=left>3rd</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>First Down</TD><TD align=left>3rd</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Red Zone Offense</TD><TD align=left>8th</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The 'Cocks only return 6 starters from last year's unit, but will still likely equal or top last year's production. Here's why:

<TABLE width=400><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
1114334.jpeg

QB Blake Mitchell</TD><TD align=left>Mitchell lost the starting job to Newton early last season but returned later on, coming out after the half against Arkansas to rally the 'Cocks from a 23-6 deficit to 26-20. His late interception, though, sealed the deal for the Hawgs. Despite only starting half the season, he posted respectable numbers:
<TABLE width=200><TBODY><TR bgColor=#990033><TD align=middle>QBRat</TD><TD align=middle>Comp</TD><TD align=middle>Att</TD><TD align=middle>%</TD><TD align=middle>Yards</TD><TD align=middle>Yds/G</TD><TD align=middle>TDs</TD><TD align=middle>Ints</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>98.8</TD><TD align=middle>135</TD><TD align=middle>202</TD><TD align=middle>66.8</TD><TD align=middle>1789</TD><TD align=middle>223.6</TD><TD align=middle>10</TD><TD align=middle>6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD align=left>If Mitchell, who's beginning his third season at the helm of Spurrier's offense, can stay healthy and in Spurrier's good graces, he could have a monster year. Of course, as Mitchell is keenly aware, Spurrier has a habit of benching starters, and the battle for No.2 should be interesting. Highly touted recruits Chris Smelley and Tommy Beecher both saw action in mop up roles (and Smelly saw quality time against Mississippi State after Mitchell left the game shaken up) last season, and could very easily earn a starting nod during the season.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width=400><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
1114345.jpeg

WR Kenny McKinley</TD><TD align=left>Though Sidney Rice was the star on last year's team, junior Kenny McKinley quietly amassed 880 yards on 51 catches and scored five TDs, giving him the inside track to replace Rice as the go to guy. For him to be successful in his bid to replace Rice, he'll need another McKinley (or two or three, really, considering the pass oriented attack of Spurrier) to step up. Fortunately there are some good possibilities:

</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>
1114261.jpeg

WR Larry Freeman</TD><TD align=left>Freeman transferred from Pearl River Community College where he was ranked as the 42nd best JUCO player (3 star) by Rivals, and held offers from Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Tennessee.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>
1114220.jpeg

WR Moe Brown</TD><TD align=left>Brown saw only one start last season as a true freshman, when he caught 4 for 19 against Kentucky, and ended the season with 9 grabs for 74 yards.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>
1114216.jpeg

WR Freddie Brown, III</TD><TD align=left>Freddie Brown finished last season as the third receiver behind Rice and McKinley, starting 4 games and ending the season with 14 catches for 147 yards.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Despite the pass first mentality of Spurrier, the running game is always key for any team in the SEC. The 'Cocks have returning starter Cory Boyd in the backfield, and there isn't a better suited back for Spurrier's offense. He's a tough runner that can get an extra yard when it's needed, but he also has enough shift that he's always a threat to break a long run. Further, he's proven he can catch the ball out of the backfield, catching 35 for 406 last season.

coryboydpreview.jpg

Boyd in action.

Though they have the skill positions pretty well covered, of utmost importance for SC this season is to rebuild the O-Line. They'll have to replace three starters. LT Jamon Meredith (a junior with 17 starts under his belt) will help to anchor a line that has some starting experience, but they'll need some time to gel as a unit, a luxury they won't have with a trip to UGA in week two and LSU in week four. Tomorrow we'll take a look at the defense.

Of note: Steve Spurrier has stated that unlike his first two years at USC East, his goal in '07 is to win an SEC Championship. If he accomplishes that feat -- considering how tough South Carolina's schedule is -- maybe, just maybe, the Gamecocks could be in contention for a national championship bid. Some will say the schedule makes it impossible -- are they the same people who said Florida couldn't do it in 2006?

The schedule is very tough for my Gamecocks (07' grad) but I think 10-2 is possible. The defense is going to be good and keep them in games instead of giving them away like last yr. The DB's will actually be better despite the loss of Fred Bennet. Getting Brandon Issac back from injury is very big, keeping him healthy is even bigger as he was said to have more pro talent than Bennet anyway. Special teams will be fine and they should be able to throw points on the board anytime they get near the 30yard line with a good kicker.. The OL has to gel early and get the win at UGA in week2, something I think is very possible since UGA will try to run the ball down our throats like they do every yr, except this yr it won't happen that easily. One of the incoming frosh WR's needs to step up to the plate because besides McKinnley not much impresses me right now. Jarret Cook has all the potential in the world but can't make a play when the big lights are on him. I think they open up 3-0, lose @ LSU. Then they have a slate of Miss St, UK, NC, Vandy which are all winnable games, 3 of which are at home and if Spurrier is talking about winning the East than SC should win those games.. Then its off to Tennessee which is going to be a battle, they could lose here, I think they beat Arkansas at Arkansas, come back home and its possible they can beat Florida but they do beat Clemson. That right there would put them at 10-2 w/ losses to LSU and Tenn.

SMQ.com--Consensus says Iowa St Will Suck:

The Consensus: Iowa State Will Finish Last in the Big 12 North
By SMQ
Posted on Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 07:33:26 PM EDT

</I>

What everyone thinks this summer, non-obvious division.

In some cases, the new-look Cyclones are expected to be worse than Baylor at the bottom of the entire conference.

The Chorus:

Phil Steele:
Lat year's ISU team benefitted from 4 net close wins (pg 299) and this year they face the same slate in the B12 South. ISU was outgained by 113.1 ypg game in league play (2nd worst) and has only 11 returning starters (2nd lowest in B12). This inexperienced team also has to learn new schemes on both sides of the ball with a new coaching staff. I will call for the Cyclones to have their 2nd consecutive losing season and their 3rd losing year in the last 8.

Athlon:
New head coach Gene Chizik will find out quickly the difference between coaching at ISU as opposed to Auburn and Texas. His team has some good pieces...but not enough talent or experience to do much better than Dan McCarney did (4-8 overall, 1-7 Big 12) in his final season.

The Sporting News:
No miracles are expected from Chizik this season...Chizik has a staff of veterans, but many came from non-BCS leagues. You have to wonder whether they can coach with the big boys in the Big 12.

Lindy's:
Chizik's debut might be even more dismal than the final year of the McCarney Era.

The Dissent:
None.

- - -

Much is doom made of three dismal indicators: incompetence (ISU enters as the de facto division bitch off last year's egg-laying), immaturity (ISU loses half its first line, as Steele points out, including a three-year starter at running back and four offensive linemen) and inexperience (not only is first-time boss Gene Chizik the bizarro Saban in that he is not expected to perform miracles, he's rated by the secret rubric of TSN as a "C+" hire and the worst head coach at any BCS school, coming in below, for example, Ron Zook, Ted Roof and Jim Harbaugh). None of which, even collectively, should rain too hard on the parade of resilient Sunny Cyclones, who haven't enjoyed a conference championship since before the outbreak of the Great War (ISU ties for the 1912 Missouri Valley crown) but are not ready to be back in this position every year.

Incompetence often resides inseparably with immaturity, but as I've noted before, the 14 returning starters that made up the heart of last year's Cyclones were unfathomably less competent than they had been as underclassmen:

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=300><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffff66"><TD style="BACKGROUND: #ff3333" align=center;></TD><TD align=middle>2005</TD><TD align=middle>2006</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Record (Big 12)</TD><TD align=middle>7-5 (4-4)</TD><TD align=middle>4-8 (1-7)</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD align=right>Avg. Margin of Victory</TD><TD align=middle>14.3</TD><TD align=middle>3.5</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Avg. Margin of Defeat</TD><TD align=middle>5.2</TD><TD align=middle>19.6</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD align=right>Wins by 10+</TD><TD align=middle>6</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Losses by 10+</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD align=right>In Overtime</TD><TD align=middle>0-3</TD><TD align=middle>1-0</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Per Carry Allowed</TD><TD align=middle>3.0</TD><TD align=middle>4.6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The team on the left lost by ten points to Baylor, but otherwise was realistically a half dozen plays against three future bowl teams from finishing 7-1 in-conference and winning the North division - which it would have achieved anyway had it not blown an 11-point lead at Kansas and missed a field goal in overtime. ISU in 2005, in other words, was a good team, on the cusp, one that outscored four straight Big 12 opponents entering the fateful finale by an average of 24 points, albeit also a team with dreadful luck in the clutch.The quarterback then was sophomore Bret Meyer, who rocked the second half the season with 1,500-plus yards and a 14:3 TD-INT ratio over the last six games. He had back his entire offensive line, leading rusher and three leading receivers.

sptHTT102HOUSTONBOWL.jpg

With Bret Meyer, nothing is obvious. Especially to Bret Meyer.
- - -

The regression of the team on the left into the team on the righ was so much more spectacular than a mere three games in the standings, and far too dramatic for a non-championship coach like Dan McCarney - whose 2003 Cyclones also fell off a cliff following the graduation of Seneca Wallce - to possibly survive professionally. It was almost too much for Meyer to survive physically, because his senior-laden front allowed a league-worst 38 sacks, along with 31 more tackles for loss not inflicted on the quarterback, facilitating the worst per carry average in the Big 12, too, with the exception of the all-time rushing futility of Baylor.

Yet both of those measures, incredibly, were actually slight improvements on 2005's returns; the much larger culprit was the defense's inability to slow down a running game, any running game (see above the 50 percent soar in opponents' yards per carry last year, which is even greater when restricted to Big 12 games), and the subsequent ease with which quarterbacks shredded the off-balance, run-oriented back seven. ISU went very quickly from stonewalling opposing backs and intercepting nearly twice as many passes as it allowed for touchdowns to playing the role of half-hearted blocking dummies doomed to give up four times as many throws for scores (26) as it picked off (6). The `06 offense actually did a slightly better job hanging onto the ball than its more successful predecessor, but the team's turnover margin plummeted from plus-14 to minus-5 because of the lack of pressure by the defense, and field position and points and wins followed.

trophy.jpg

So, so long ago, but a few of these guys are still around.
- - -

Hence, Chizik, a supposedly aggressive "Tampa 2" disciple who directed top ten defenses of perfect teams at Auburn in 2004 and Texas in 2005. His kids at UT last year finished third nationally against the run. That won't be repeated, especially by a team that bids sayonora to two veterans, Brent Curvey and Shawn Moorehead, who anchored a good line as juniors and were statistically productive even on last year's terrible effort. But given the team's recent history, and Chizik's, and the presence of four guys with some starting experience, last year's virtual red carpet shouldn't be rolled out for opposing backs, either. Chizik is supposed to be intense, and if this is so, and this is an attribute worth anything to begin with, ISU will be tougher against the run.

This was Chizik's greatest concern in the spring, and what the Cyclones should be worrying about, not Meyer or the departure of 80 percent of the worst non-Baylor offensive line in the conference. Meyer is a four-year starter with enough demonstrable competence and athleticism to get ISU into a bowl game - though also probably enough demonstrable inconsistency to ensure that game is the Independence Bowl - and he should be satisfied with the hire of spread guru Robert McFarland as offensive coordinator. The spread doesn't ask a physically overmatched line to win individual battles in a box packed with defenders, and often creates a "running" game through safe, sack-averse hitches and screens.

JUCO savior J.J. Milan and free safety convert Jason Harris, he of the 81-yard run in the spring game, are better fits for a spread contraption than bulky, low-octane, injury prone plodder Stevie Hicks, who started for four years and only scored 11 touchdowns. Receiver Todd Blythe has 26 touchdowns in three years, even as his soaring freshman per catch average (21.4) falls steadily to the earth; Blythe missed three of the Cyclones' lowest-scoring games late last year, then found an apparent compliment in R.J. Sumrall, a track guy whose contributed sporadically over two years but ignited* for 134 yards and a touchdown on six catches in the spring. Predictions are best not made on scrimmage anecdotes, but the mix of old and new blood here is some indicator of cautious optimism from the conference's second-lowest scoring team.

No, the difference between a return to the delights of [insert obscure sponsor] Bowl Week and the projected basement-wallowing in an egalitarian division will be Chizik's influence on the front seven, which could also be relying on consecutive planes of JUCO transfers at one defensive tackle and middle linebacker. Risky business. But five seven-win seasons in seven years doesn't allow for much patience with last place rebuilding. - - -
* - Sumrall did not literally ignite.

Dennis Gets Another Year

By Paragon SC Section: Football
Posted on Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 11:16:29 PM EDT

</I>

Hershel Dennis received and additional year of eligibility, due to injuries, from the NCAA.

From WeAreSC

Dennis missed the past two seasons due to a pair of knee injuries but it was unclear if he would meet NCAA standards to receive a sixth year. After graduating from USC last month with a degree in sociology Dennis filled out his application for the additional year and the ruling came down today in his favor.

Hershel will join an already crowded Trojan backfield but he brings an experienced touch to the group. He wasn't able to take part in recent spring ball drills until the third week but he quickly showed everybody that he will be a force to reckon with in the fall, especially with a sharp performance in the Trojan Huddle scrimmage.

After missing most of spring practice Dennis got on the field in the last week and really turned some heads. And he dedicated himself to getting back on the field as is described here.

Anyone close to Dennis already knows the reason why he continues to do what he does, and knows that Dennis himself wouldn't need a reminder anyway. Still, etched onto Dennis' right forearm is that one-month old reminder, a rendition of his mother, Rose Teofilo, atop the inscription: "The Reason."

"The Reason... I do everything," explains "Patch," as he's long been known to family and friends. "The reason I am the person I am today." And much of the reason Dennis ended up in the Cardinal and Gold in the first place -- as opposed to Thunder Green and Lightning Yellow.

[...]Dennis continues to strive for those goals and doesn't harbor resentment about the roller coaster of events fate dealt him during his tenure at `SC: "I'm just fortunate to be on the team and part of this history we're making. I knew things would turn around at `SC when I came in."
Things seem to be turning around for Dennis, as well. "My knee is great. I just got it scoped. Everything is healthy. My body is in shape." Dennis says he's also faster and smarter about the game. "What mostly improved was my mental game. I think that will be a big part of my playing this season." Dennis is excited at the prospect of Steve Sarkisian taking over the reins of the offense full time. "The offense this year will be potent. I like Sarkisian a lot. We'll be well balanced."

This IS great news!

Welcome back Hershel!
FIGHT ON!

Cock defense analysis from rollbamaroll.com:

I Wanna SEC You Up: The Gamecock Defense

By Todd Section: Football
Posted on Wed Jun 20, 2007 at 08:55:22 AM EDT

</I>

Key to SC's hopes for a trip to Atlanta is a continually improving defense. The 'Cocks not only return 9 starters from last year's unit, they have a good bit of talent coming in, especially on the line. Last season's unit wasn't spectacularly effective, finishing in the bottom half of the conference in most categories:

<TABLE width=200><TBODY><TR bgColor=#990033><TD align=left>Category</TD><TD align=left>Rank</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Scoring Defense</TD><TD align=left>6th</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Pass Defense</TD><TD align=left>8th</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Rushing Defense</TD><TD align=left>9th</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Opponent 1st Downs</TD><TD align=left>8th</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Red Zone Defense</TD><TD align=left>5th</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Total Defense</TD><TD align=left>9th</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

They managed to keep opponent's scoring low enough to keep things close (allowing only 18.7 ppg), but this year they should be able to win with defense as well as offense. 15 of the top 16 tacklers return, including All-SEC MLB Jasper Brinkley:
<TABLE width=400><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=100>
1114211.jpeg

LB Jasper Brinkley</TD><TD width=20> </TD><TD align=left width=180>Brinkley led all tacklers last season with 107 (5 sacks, 9.5 TFL), and returns for his senior season as an All-conference (and All-American?) candidate.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

LB is an area that should be much improved over last year (as is the entire defensive front). The 'Cocks had to replace their top 4 LBs and their inexperience showed, but their entire two deep returns and Casper Brinkley, Jasper's twin brother, joins them on the outside after playing DE last year (he was fifth on the team with 44 tackles and second on the team with 13.5 TFL). Likely starting on the other side are Marvin Sapp, the second leading tackler with 51 (1 sack, 1 TFL), and Rodney Paulk, who had 36 tackles last year (1 sack, 2.5 TFL). Further illustrating the embarassment of riches at LB, former starter Cody Wells, who tore a bicep against Florida and missed the end of the season, is listed behind Pualk and Sapp, but should still see playing time.

And speaking of embarassment of riches, the line looks to be stacked with new blood this season, so much so that Casper Brinkley was moved to LB after starting every game last year at DE and Ryan Brown, who started eight games, was moved to FB. Highly touted DE recruits Clifton Geathers, Travian Robertson, and Jonathan Williams, along with Hargrave Military School transfer DT Ladi Ajiboye, all enrolled early to participate in spring drills and are expected to make an immediate impact for the 'Cocks. Ajiboye, rated the #21 prep school prospect by Rivals, was a clear stand out in the spring, and he'll be joined in the middle by returning starter Nathan Pepper.

While the secondary loses veteran CB Fred Bennett (2nd Team All-SEC), there is still plenty of starting experience in the backfield. Captain Munnerlyn, Stoney Woodson (led the team in picks with 3), and Carlos Thomas all return at CB. Though none could really be considered "stars" (yet), Munnerlyn in particular should develop into an excellent SEC corner after playing in 12 games last year (started five) as a freshman, especially with a stronger front seven to lean on. The safety positions are manned with experience as well, with the top two SS returning. Sr. Chris Hampton had 36 tkls and 2 picks last season, while Freshman All-SEC SS Emmanuel Cook had 47 tkls (5 for loss). The likely starter at FS is Brandon Isaac. Though he missed last season with an injury, he started two games in '05 at FS and also played CB.

As strange as it might seem for a Spurrier coached team, the defense could very well be the key to a great season for SC. Most have them pegged as a dark horse contender for the east because of the Evil Genius's offense as well as what should be a much improved D, though a brutal road schedule is what keeps them a "dark horse." Tomorrow we'll take a look at the schedule and see what needs to be done for the 'Cocks to get to Atlanta.

<!-- poll box --><TABLE width="40%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Maryland OL Doesn't Make The Grade

Posted Jun 20th 2007 10:30PM by Ian Cohen
Filed under: Maryland Football, ACC, NCAA FB Campus
72903689.jpg
When you think about all the dumb crap that you did in college in place of studying (if it weren't for that Steel Reserve pyramid, you totally could've copped that 4.0), it's tough to get all that incensed when athletes find themselves academically ineligible considering the very real and very demanding time constraints and stress that go with it aren't always self-imposed. And just imagine if you were 6'9" and weighed 350 lbs. You think any of those classroom chairs are something you'd be able to comfortably sit in? <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>

Such was the fate befalling mountainous Maryland lineman Jared Gaither, who reportedly was declared academically ineligible for the 2007 season. I'm not going to speculate about his study habits, but he is an attendee of Hargrave Military Institute, often used as a pre-college qualifying school and he didn't exactly win over Ralph Friedgen with his work ethic during his two promising, but tumultuous years in College Park. Look, I know that Fridge's track record with the Terps speaks for itself, but man...I can't imagine what a guy with that physique calling me lazy would do. <O:P></O:P>

In all likelihood, a guy with Gaither's intriguing combination of size and potential might find himself a hot commodity in the NFL supplemental draft. However, sources have indicated that Gaither might give the books another crack, most likely because people still associate the supplemental draft with Dave Brown.<O:P></O:P>

2007 Big East Football Prospectus Part 4: Pittsburgh

<SMALL class=metadata>0 Comments </SPAN>Published on 6.21.2007 by Brian Harrison http://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blogID=11343653&postID=1590769029295230905http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=11343653&postID=1590769029295230905 </SMALL>

Editor’s Note: This is part four of an eight part series giving analysis of each of the eight teams in the Big East Football Conference, proceeding alphabetically, but ending with Syracuse. A new team will be released each weekday for the next eight days. Feel free to use the comment section to supplement the facts and analysis presented, however my opinions will stand. Enjoy and I hope you are looking forward to the new Big East football season as much as I am. Part three can be found here.

Pittsburgh
Preview – MUSTACHE POWER! Dave Wannstedt will take the helm again for the Panthers. After a hot start last season, they finished 6-6 on the year with only two Big East wins. He loses his 35 consecutive game starter Tyler Palko (220/322, 2871yds, 25 TD, 9 INT, sacked 22 times), and one of the most prolific passers in Pitt history. To replace this will be the biggest question for Pittsburgh in 2007. Stopping the run will be key to beating Pittsburgh this coming season. Most every other facet of this team is solid however. They have a stellar wide receiving core with Derek Kinder (893yds), their best receiver returning. Their offensive line is solid and their defensive line is excellent. Their special teams may not be as good with a new punter taking snaps this season.

Key Returning Players – RB LaRod Stephens-Howling, WR Derek Kinder, WR Oderick Turner

Key Losses – QB Tyler Palko, LB H.B. Blades, CB Darrelle Revis

My Thoughts – Pittsburgh is the team with some of the biggest questions this coming season. After looking absolutely unbeatable early in the year, only to fall to UConn and South Florida late in the season. These were teams they would have destroyed early on. So, if Pittsburgh has a solid running game, the defense can be ferocious, and the quarterback gets massive help from their talented receivers, this will again be a team in the mix. However, they will probably end up in the middle of the pack in the Big East. I’m thinking forth or maybe even third place if they get lucky.

Will We Beat Them? – We will be traveling to the Steel City playing Pitt at Hines Field. Therefore I have a strong suspicion we will be losing this affair. I always think our chances are much less than in the home sweet Dome (unless we end up playing in Chestnut Hill near Thanksgiving and we have a guy named Diamond). With so many aspects of Pittsburgh’s team still in tact from the previous year, and some stellar freshman they could mix in, I think this will be a loss for the Orange down in the ‘Burg.

UF backup QB is hurting

<!--/* Byline exists -->

By Pat Dooley
Sun sports writer

bilde
Florida quarterback Cameron Newton led the Orange Team during Saturday's Orange and Blue spring football game. The Blue Team led by Tim Tebow beat the Orange Team 27-21.
Tracy Wilcox/The Gainesville Sun

The offseason for freshman quarterback Cameron Newton won't be exactly what he expected.

Newton, who shared quarterback duties with Tim Tebow in the spring game, is wearing a brace after a small crack was discovered in his back.

Florida coach Urban Meyer said Newton will have to wear the brace for another three or four weeks.

“He'll be fine,” Meyer said.

Newton completed 20 of 30 passes for 275 yards and a touchdown in the Orange and Blue game at Florida Field on April 14.

It's the second injury at quarterback for the Gators. Junior college transfer Bryan Waggener broke his left foot early in spring practice.

Florida's other quarterback on scholarship is freshman John Brantley of Ocala.

Quigley returns to RB

KU soph won’t move to wideout after all

By Ryan Wood </SPAN>
Posted Thursday, June 21, 2007

Add another horse to the Kansas University football team’s intriguing backfield.

KU coach Mark Mangino said Wednesday that sophomore Angus Quigley will enter the preseason as a running back, not a wide receiver as originally planned.

“We have visited with Angus, and we have looked at our depth chart,” Mangino said. “Angus said he’d do whatever he needed to do for the team, but he felt much more comfortable going into two-a-days as a running back.”

The coaching staff obliged, meaning the backfield could be an interesting mix-and-match with a number of capable weapons, specifically Quigley, sophomore Jake Sharp and senior fullback Brandon McAnderson. Incoming freshmen Carmon Boyd-Anderson and Steven Foster will be shooting for early playing time, as well.

In addition, quarterbacks Kerry Meier and Todd Reesing continue to battle for the starting job, meaning the lineup behind center is an interesting puzzle — one with multiple solutions, perhaps.

Quigley, a 6-foot-2, 215-pound Texas native, was recruited as a running back and expected to back up Jon Cornish a year ago. His season was derailed, though, when he suffered a torn muscle in his thigh during preseason and had season-ending surgery. Sharp ended up being the backup for Cornish, who rushed for a school-record 1,457 yards in 2006.
In the spring, Quigley was moved to wide receiver to help shore up KU’s depth. In the spring game, he caught two passes for 17 yards and was listed on the post-spring depth chart as a second-team wideout.

That has changed. Sharp probably remains the front-runner to start at running back, with McAnderson locked in as the starting fullback. Quigley, though, will be striving to make the decision-making difficult before the Sept. 1 opener against Central Michigan.

“He can help us at wide receiver, and there’s concerns about depth at both positions,” Mangino said. “We feel at this time, this will be best for everyone.”

Dismissed, Southern Miss receiver Rodney Gray, for unspecified "rules violations and poor conduct." No reported arrest, so no details whatsoever, per the usual with Jeff Bower. Thus Gray fulfills the role of Tavarres Williams Memorial Promising Freshman Wideout Who Immediately Disappears. He fell back into the rotation after starting immediately over a couple seniors last year, but he ranked as a veteran among the receivers on the upcoming team - outside of uninspiring Chris Johnson, it's a cavalcade of total inexperience, likely to be filled by more interchangable, stopgap freshmen. Dammit, Rodney.

SMU backup QB Slater leaves program

[SIZE=-1]12:00 AM CDT on Thursday, June 21, 2007

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By KATE HAIROPOULOS / The Dallas Morning News[/SIZE]

Backup quarterback Corey Slater has left the football program. Slater, a 6-2, 230-pound junior, played behind Justin Willis, last season's Conference USA freshman of the year.

"The reason I came to SMU was to pursue a dream," Slater said Wednesday, en route from Dallas to his hometown of Seattle. "It's unfortunate you have two really good quarterbacks."

Slater's departure leaves the Mustangs without much depth at quarterback. Redshirt freshman Zach Rhodes and true freshman Logan Turner are tabbed to back up Willis.

Slater, a junior college transfer from Dixie State (Utah), spent one season at SMU.

He played in six games in 2006, including the entire game at UTEP, when Willis was suspended. Slater also started against Marshall, but did not play in SMU's final five games.

Slater, who coach Phil Bennett praised during the spring, was 20-of-44 for 209 yards, two touchdowns and four interceptions at SMU.
Slater said he is exploring his options with other schools.

Talent runs BCS-deep in Stillwater

[SIZE=-1]09:49 PM CDT on Wednesday, June 20, 2007

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

If things fall just right this football season, Dallas billionaire Boone Pickens' next donation to his alma mater, Oklahoma State, could be free rounds for everyone at Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater – the best bar in the Big 12.

If Oklahoma struggles with a first-year quarterback, if Texas can't solve its problems running the ball or stopping the pass, or if Texas A&M gets beaten down by a brutal schedule, the Cowboys could be BCS-bound in 2007.

Crazy? Not really. OSU is loaded on offense, will be improved on defense and has slippery speed on special teams. Also, you'd hope the Cowboys have learned how to finish after losing five of their six games in 2006 late in the fourth quarter.

"I think it can be a special year," said Mike Gundy, the third-year coach at the school where he shared the backfield with Barry Sanders from 1986 to '88 and remains the school's all-time leading passer.

"We open up at Georgia. They may be top 15 or better, but our players believe we can go there and win that game. We believe we can win every game if we play well. The attitude of our team is tremendous."

Pickens has already given $165 million to Oklahoma State, allowing the Cowboys to compete with any school in the nation in resources. A renovation to OSU's stadium, which bears Pickens' name, will be completed in 15 months.

Gundy has hired bright, young assistants like offensive coordinator Larry Fedora.

Fedora's Big Three – quarterback Bobby Reid, running back Dantrell Savage and wide receiver Adarius Bowman – helped make OSU one of two teams to average 200 yards passing and 200 yards rushing last season (along with Boise State). All three players return this season.

First-year defensive coordinator Tim Beckman's last two stops were Ohio State (defensive backs coach) and Bowling Green (defensive coordinator), working under national championship coaches Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer, respectively.

And thanks to Pickens, Gundy can make his assistants among the highest-paid in the country. Fedora is slated to earn $393,000 this season. Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis will earn $351,440 this season. While most assistant coaches work on a year-to-year basis, Gundy's assistants have four- and five-year guaranteed contracts.

"We've had really good football coaches here over the past 20 years, but we weren't able to keep them," Gundy said. "One reason is we weren't able to take care of them financially. When you look at the cost of living in Stillwater, and the money these guys make now, I'm going to say we're probably as competitive as anyone in the country."

Gundy has also been able to recruit Texas, where he signed 15 of his 22 incoming freshmen. Included in that group are top national prospects Richetti Jones, a pass rusher from Lincoln, and receivers Dez Bryant of Lufkin and Hubert Anyiam of North Garland.

Part of Gundy's recruiting pitch is that he doesn't want to coach anywhere else.

"This is home," Gundy said. "My wife and I graduated from here, and we're being taken care of. Most coaches will tell you, never let the administration know you think this is your last stop. I don't have a problem with that. I'm happy here, and we have big goals."

HOW THEY'LL FINISH
Here's a look at Chip Brown's Big 12 predictions for 2007, with finish, overall record and Big 12 record:

SOUTH

1. Oklahoma

Record: 10-2, 6-2

League losses: at Colorado, Texas

Bottom line: The Sooners are starting a first-year quarterback, which could make them vulnerable to a couple of early conference losses. But the defending Big 12 champs should be hard to beat by season's end with talent everywhere else. OU wins the South on tiebreakers.

2. Oklahoma State

League losses: at Nebraska, at OU

Bottom line: This program has serious momentum after pounding Nebraska last season and beating Alabama in the Independence Bowl. Road games at Georgia, Troy, Texas A&M, Nebraska and OU will be daunting, but the Cowboys have lots of fearless, young talent.

3. Texas

League losses: at Okla. St., at Texas A&M

Bottom line: The passing game and run defense should be among the best in the country, and TCU is the toughest nonconference opponent. But the Longhorns must answer serious questions from last year about their pass defense and inability to run the ball.

4. Texas A&M

Record: 7-5, 4-4

League losses: Okla. St., at Nebraska, at OU, at Mizzou

Bottom line: Quarterback Stephen McGee is a stud on an offense that mauls people. But key losses on defense and a road schedule that includes Miami (Fla.), Texas Tech, Nebraska, OU and Missouri will trip up the Aggies.

5. Texas Tech

Record: 7-5;3-5

League losses: at Okla. St., Texas A&M, at Mizzou, at Texas, OU

Bottom line: Tech has only four starters back on offense and only five back on defense. If Mike Leach hasn't been recruiting well, it will show. A typically soft nonleague schedule should ensure Tech remains the only Big 12 team without a losing season since the conference was formed.

6. Baylor

Record: 3-9, 0-8

League losses: All of them

Bottom line: After manhandling bowl-bound Kansas State last year and beating Colorado on the road, the Bears have lost too much manpower to succeed in 2007. Baylor is starting over at quarterback, receiver and in the secondary. Coach Guy Morriss will need more time.

NORTH

1. Missouri

League losses: at OU, at Colorado

Bottom line: The Tigers have the most experienced talent in the North, only four road games, and they get Nebraska at home. Quarterback Chase Daniel of Southlake Carroll will help erase any mistakes by coach Gary Pinkel. Mizzou wins the North with a tiebreaker win over the Cornhuskers.

2. Nebraska

Record: 8-4, 6-2

League losses: at Mizzou, at Texas

Bottom line: Coaching blunders cost the Big Red a Cotton Bowl victory against Auburn and tempered enthusiasm about progress made in three seasons under Bill Callahan. If a new defensive line exceeds expectations, Nebraska could return to the Big 12 title game this year.

3. Colorado

Record: 7-5, 5-3

League losses: at Kansas St., at Texas Tech, Nebraska

Bottom line: Dan Hawkins redshirted his son, Cody, at quarterback last season. With Cody on the field, an offense that couldn't score in 2006 will improve dramatically. There's talent on defense, although not much depth anywhere if injuries flare up.

4. Kansas State

Record: 6-6, 4-4

League losses: at Texas, at Okla. St., at Nebraska, Mizzou

Bottom line: There's lots of uncertainty in Manhattan as coach Ron Prince goes to a 3-4 defense and attempts to rebuild on the offensive line. Ian Campbell will move from defensive end to outside linebacker after posting 11 ½ sacks in 2006. Quarterback Josh Freeman is a rising star.

5. Kansas

Record: 6-6, 2-6

League losses: at K-State, at Colorado, at A&M, Nebraska, at Okla. St., Mizzou (in Kansas City)

Bottom line: Last year, KU lost five games in which it led in the second half. Coach Mark Mangino is struggling to find a quarterback, as he has the last four years. Cornerback Aqib Talib is the real deal on a defense with lots of questions.

6. Iowa State

Record: 2-10, 0-8

League losses: All of them

Bottom line: It could be a rough start for new coach Gene Chizik. He must rebuild both lines, has no proven running back and faces a schedule that includes South opponents OU, Texas and Texas Tech. Eleven of his 25-man freshman class are junior college transfers.

BIG 12 TITLE GAME IN SAN ANTONIO: OU over Missouri

2007 Big East Football Prospectus Part 5: Rutgers

<SMALL class=metadata>0 Comments </SPAN>Published on 6.21.2007 by Brian Harrison http://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blogID=11343653&postID=247271159024953754http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=11343653&postID=247271159024953754 </SMALL>

Editor’s Note: This is part five of an eight part series giving analysis of each of the eight teams in the Big East Football Conference, proceeding alphabetically, but ending with Syracuse. A new team will be released each weekday for the next eight days. Feel free to use the comment section to supplement the facts and analysis presented, however my opinions will stand. Enjoy and I hope you are looking forward to the new Big East football season as much as I am. Part four can be found here.

Rutgers
Preview – Greg Schiano takes the helm once again for Rutgers after the most successful season in school history, achieving an 11-2 record overall, including wins over (at the time) undefeated Louisville in route to a Big East Championship. This, of course, did not happen, but that really did not damper the good vibes coming out of Piscataway last season. QB Mike Teal (164/296, 2135yds, 12 TD, 13 INT, sacked 7 times) and RB Ray Rice (1794yds on 335att, 5.4avg, 20 TD) return to anchor this team. Rice, coming off of a school record rushing season, looks to lead the offense again on the ground. Teal also seems even sharper this year, as he had a spring game where he showed even more command of the offense Rutgers employs. Their wide receiver core looks fast and sharp, but graduating All Big East tight end Clark Harris will not help. Rutgers has one of the best offensive lines in the nation and will look to help Rice continue his success. Greg Schiano’s defense is also just as ferocious with a solid secondary and a solid defensive front (once all the players return healthy, and they will be by the start of the season). The Knights will have a big hole to fill in graduating fullback and captain Brian Leonard, the emotional leader of the ball club. I’ll even throw a little love to the kicker Jeremy Ito, who nailed a clutch field goal in the final seconds of the game against Louisville to give them the win last year in Piscataway. Nothing says “I own you” like pointing right at the sky cam after a big kick.

Key Returning Players – RB Ray Rice, QB Mike Teel, K Jeremy Ito

Key Losses – FB Brian Leonard, CB Derrick Roberson, TE Clark Harris

My Thoughts – This team will be solid and will again finish in the top half of the Big East. Will they be as dominating as they were last year? Probably not. Coach Schiano will have they ready for the rigors of a Big East schedule however (because their non-conference schedule sure is not rigorous at all). They have to have something to cheer about in NJ though right? It is hard enough for The Sopranos to be ending for them. They might have to settle for an 8-4 season and a nice meal down at the Grease Trucks.

Will We Beat Them? – Rutgers will be down but not out. To be on the safe side I’ll just say we will lose this one at home. However, I think this game will be close as Rutgers is our Homecoming game this year, and will probably boast the loudest crowd of the season in the Dome. There is a potential for an upset, and there would be nothing I’d like better than to see us not lose to Rutgers again. Rutgers has been a personal torture for me as I witnessed us lose at both Rutgers in 2004, and at home in 2005, live. I would love to see us sent Rutgers with a surprise loss. The likelihood of the “upset” is as great at this game as any this season.

Buffs get probation, lose scholarship for major violation

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135";google_alternate_color = "ffffff";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;google_ad_format = "300x250_as";google_ad_type = "text_image";//2007-06-19: entriesgoogle_ad_channel = "0603066557";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "003399";google_color_text = "333333";google_color_url = "999999";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><IFRAME name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0237893561790135&dt=1182479225359&lmt=1182479225&alt_color=ffffff&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1182479225359&channel=0603066557&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanblogs.com%2Fcolorado%2F007035.php&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=333333&color_link=003399&color_url=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&cc=100&flash=9&u_h=768&u_w=1280&u_ah=738&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-420&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency></IFRAME>
The Colorado Buffaloes will be placed on a two-year probation and lose one football scholarship for allowing 86 football walk-ons (and 47 athletes from other sports) to have discounted and/or free meals over a six-year period.
These violations involve 133 non-scholarship student-athletes in six sports being undercharged for training table meals. The impermissible benefits totaled $61,700 over the course of six academic years and led to the committee finding that the institution failed to monitor its training table program. Penalties for the violations include placing the university on two years of probation; a fine of $100,000 to be paid to a charitable cause involved in efforts to alleviate hunger and/or homelessness; and a reduction in scholarships, among other sanctions.
The NCAA notes that CU uncovered the violations and self-reported to the NCAA. Colorado will not appeal the decision, which essentially accepted the university's own proposed sanctions.
“We fully embrace and accept the NCAA’s sanctions, which are very close to what we recommended as self-imposed sanctions in our report to the NCAA,” said CU Athletic Director Mike Bohn. “I want to say very clearly that this in no way reflects poorly upon our student-athletes; rather, it represents a challenge to our athletic department leadership to more effectively understand and apply NCAA bylaws, and to better communicate these bylaws to our coaches and staff. I can assure the public and the entire university community that we will achieve both of these ends, and have already taken steps to do so.”​
This is the second major infraction for Colorado in five years.

Again, not that insightful, but really fuckin' funny from EDSBS.com:

CATCHING UP: KENNY IRONS, MIDGET LOVER.

In EDSBS’s Hall of Fame, there sits an Auburn-themed niche carved in a wall of only the finest Carrara marble. In that niche sits a pair of busts: one of David Irons, and one of Kenny Irons, who combined form a duo of such excellence none shall ever supersede them.

auburn_tigers_kenny_irons.jpg

Kenny Irons: friend to all, big…and small?

Their immortal resume (lettered into the marble in gold leaf, natch):

–David’s Wonderlic score: quatro, amigo. (Chinese for “a fucking four, big nose!”)

–David’s own quote about his brother in the greatest single interview ever conducted with a division one football player:

I told him the end zone is his zoo and if he runs to the end zone he can be with all of his little animal friends. I just told him to treat the football like a banana. You treat the football like a banana and you won’t let anybody at the zoo take your banana peel. He was like, “Yeah, that’s true.” And I was like, “Kenny, but it’s not yellow, it’s brown.”

–Kenny’s own interview where he discusses water polo:

“I tell people that I play water polo and if they ask me what position I play I tell them right water. I don’t even know if that is a position but I tell them that I play right water.”

Like all our little NCAA babies, they grow up to be men, eventually: midget-loving, unashamed, polymorphously perverse men, according to Kissing Suzy Kolber. From their intrepid reader Joel, who saw Irons at LAX on the way to the NFL’s rookie conference:

A few weeks ago I was working check-in at LAX airport for the rookie conference held in LA. JaMarcus Russell never said a word, Dwayne Jarrett dissed Keyshawn, and Bengals running back Kenny Irons brought more luggage than I’ve ever seen in my life. I asked him what was in the luggage, an innocent question, which prompted Kenny to hoist the luggage and proudly proclaim,

“I got a midget in here to suck my dick.”

Another line of gold leaf just went up on that wall, readers. God bless you, you midgetfucking geniuses of the gridiron. ONE HUNDRED COCKTAILS to Kenny and David Irons, and the typhoon of joy they bring with them everywhere.

Toledo point shaving investigation continues

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135";google_alternate_color = "ffffff";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;google_ad_format = "300x250_as";google_ad_type = "text_image";//2007-06-19: entriesgoogle_ad_channel = "0603066557";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "003399";google_color_text = "333333";google_color_url = "999999";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><IFRAME name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0237893561790135&dt=1182524383669&lmt=1182524383&alt_color=ffffff&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1182524383669&channel=0603066557&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanblogs.com%2Ftoledo%2F007037.php&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=333333&color_link=003399&color_url=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&cc=100&flash=9&u_h=1024&u_w=1280&u_ah=994&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-420&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency></IFRAME>
As I mentioned previously, the Toledo point shaving scandal is not about to go away. The Feds questioned Toledo running back Harvey "Scooter" McDougle Jr. again yesterday.
McDougle Jr. was suspended from the football team in March after being arrested and charged with conspiracy related to his dealings with Gary Manni, a self-described gambler from Detroit. The government dropped the charges a month later but said it was continuing its investigation of McDougle Jr. "He's cooperating totally, fully, 100%," McDougle Sr. says about his 22-year-old son, a senior who remains at Toledo on an athletic scholarship. "But he's getting shafted. They think he knows more than he knows. I think they're using him to scare other college athletes, to slow down gambling in college sports."
During the investigation, McDougle remains under scholarship, but on indefinite suspension from the football team.

Previously:
06/06/2007.....RB accused of point-shaving to be back in lineup?
04/10/2007.....Proof of Toledo points shaving?
04/01/2007.....Bigger fish coming in the Toledo sting?

UM Football: Powe keeping options open
By Robbie Neiswanger
rneiswanger@clarionledger.com

OXFORD — Former Wayne County defensive tackle Jerrell Powe is inching closer to becoming academically eligible, according to family friend Joe Barnett.

But even if the 6-foot-3, 345-pound Powe finishes his work and is cleared by the NCAA to play college football, Barnett said he may not suit up at Ole Miss.

The embattled Powe, who signed a national letter of intent with the Rebels in 2005 and 2006 and was ruled academically ineligible each year, is now considering other Division I options because Barnett said he's uncertain of Ole Miss' commitment. He also has enlisted the aid of Alabama-based attorney Donald Jackson - who specializes in cases with athletes trying to earn certification through the NCAA Clearinghouse - in hopes it will help him reach his desired destination.

"Here's what we want most - him to go to Ole Miss," said Barnett, a Wayne County appraiser who has been Powe's advisor. "But it just doesn't work well without complete cooperation and assistance out of the one you want to take to prom."

Barnett said his uncertainty stems from recent communication with Ole Miss athletic director Pete Boone. Last week, he e-mailed Boone asking for documents pertaining to Powe's case with the NCAA last year in hopes they could be used to help his case with the organization this year. He also requested a letter stating the university would admit Powe and he had a scholarship offer waiting if he was cleared by the NCAA.

But Barnett said they haven't received that assurance and believes Ole Miss is "tap dancing" around the issue because it doesn't intend to admit him.

"For some time I've had some doubts about how interested Ole Miss was in Jerrell," he said.

So Barnett handed the battle to Jackson, who also helped former Mississippi State basketball player Mario Austin get his eligibility restored after questions arose in 2002 about two classes in his high school transcript.

"Our goal is to get him cleared, get him into Ole Miss, get him on the field, get him in classes," Jackson said. "If Ole Miss is not committed, I guess the next issue the family will have to address is to look at other institutions."

If Ole Miss does not indicate its commitment to Powe, Barnett is confident other programs will. He said the list includes LSU, Miami, Auburn and Alabama.

Boone declined comment on the situation Thursday. He can't comment on prospective student-athletes until they sign a national letter-of-intent.
But the new twist simply adds another strange chapter in Powe's quest to become eligible.

Powe, who failed to qualify out of high school in 2005, thought he met every requirement after a year at Hargrave (Va.) Military Academy and by taking Internet courses through Brigham Young's independent studies program. But the NCAA rejected his transcripts, stating he received too much help from his tutor and finished work too quickly.

Dissatisfied with the decision, Powe and his mother filed a temporary restraining order last fall that permitted him to enroll in classes at Ole Miss. But when the NCAA Student Records Review Group upheld the decision, Powe backed down, returned to Waynsboro and has been working to complete seven core credits.

Powe, who was diagnosed with a form of dyslexia and a mild to moderate case of attention deficit disorder, has taken online courses and also re-enrolled at Wayne County High to complete most of his requirements.
Now, Barnett said Powe is taking his last class - Spanish - at a private school in Jackson. Barnett said he will complete the course, send paperwork to the NCAA and wait for certification.

But with the first day of practice rapidly approaching, Barnett said Powe will not wait for Ole Miss' commitment much longer.

"I can promise you he'll be at some university come Labor Day," Barnett said. "I'd really like for it to be Ole Miss. But by God, they better step up between now and Monday or he won't be."
<!--test is podcast--><!--start StoryChat bottom-->

Pena gets waiver to play for Houston

Posted: Thursday June 21, 2007 10:33PM; Updated: Thursday June 21, 2007 10:33PM

HOUSTON (AP) -- Former Oklahoma State quarterback Al Pena has received a waiver from the NCAA that will allow him to play football at Houston this fall.

Pena graduated from Oklahoma State in May but had a year of eligibility left. He had planned to take advantage of a rule that allows graduating seniors to transfer without having to sit out a year, but the NCAA rescinded the rule in January. Pena needed a waiver.

"We thought it was a good case. We welcome him and we are glad to have him in the program," Houston athletic director Dave Maggard told television station KRIV.

Pena was a backup last season, but did not play. In 2005, he completed 89 of 179 passes for 1,102 yards in seven games with eight touchdown passes.

From loserwithsocks.com, one of the funniest sports blogs out there:

Ranking the Florida Gator Arrests June 21, 2007

Just the other day, I noticed that Larry Brown Sports [link] had ranked the Cincinnati Bengals arrests from best to worst. I thought that it was criminal that the NFL’s most prolific criminal enterprise get all of the headlines.

I believed that the Florida Gators have earned some glory too. So, I asked Larry Brown if he cared if we ranked the Gators criminal enterprise like he had ranked the Bengals. He said, “just send me the link to the post”.
I tried to make a top 10, from best to worst or is it worst to best (I got confused)…. But there were so many heinous crimes/assaults/stabbings/shootings and theft that I had to list some evil-doing as honorable mention. Like the “Its good to be Chris Rainey” recruitment or the mysterious throat slashing keg stealer.

And yes Canes and Noles, I know that some of the lesser crimes just did not make this list. I was tired of researching and writing.
O66913.jpg
Here are my top 10:

1. After Jarvis “Puffy” Moss jumped up (Ganja increased his vertical by 18″) and salvaged the croc’s season against the Gamecocks by blocking a last second field goal attempt, it was revealed he to also failed a drug test during the summer as the clock ticked to zero. Guess what game he missed? The showdown between top ranked UF versus division 1AA Western Carolina.

2. Gator great, Marcus “Medicinal Puff” Thomas - a multiple drug test failure, pot and GHB. Gator fans tried to convince us all it was from the same test… then the truth came out, near the end of the season with his dismissal from the team. Moss and Thomas were both drafted by the Broncos. WTF was Shanahan thinking?

3. Baby Momma Slappin Avery Atkins. The alleged victim, Benerah Sanford, told police: She and Atkins argued Saturday on a drive to Atkins’ grandmother’s house. Atkins leaned over and punched her at least 13 times, and pushed her face against the car’s window while he conversed with relatives. Every time Sanford tried to exit the car, Atkins either punched her or stepped on the gas. When the pair finally arrived at Atkins’ home, she ran off and called the police.

Earlier this month, Atkins was found in a car in Daytona Beach with weed, gun and digital scales. To top it off, it was not his car. He had enrolled in UF in January with plans to “fight his way back to the cornerback slot.”

4. Brandon James a football player and Brandon Powell who coincidently is the basketball player who sucker punched the Vandy student in the back of the head [link], were found together in Gainesville with…. you guessed it: marijuana in the car during an undercover “buy bust”. One felony and one misdemeanor — purchase of a controlled substance and possession of >20 grams of marijuana — suspended indefinitely.

5. WR Riley Cooper smashed a windshield, welcome the perfect gater. And just who is Jasim Alidina? Adlina was the victim of Freshman Riley Cooper’s flailing haymaker through his car window. While Alidina survived the incident, remarkably unscathed, neither Cooper nor the car were as lucky. Cooper was taken to the Morton Plant Hospital.

6. Florida defensive back Dorian Munroe charged with felony for removal of parking boot and placing it in his trunk. This was later ironed out as expected as UF is thin at the corner. One felony — theft of a police metal parking boot from his car

7. At Da Club, Ronnie “The Rifleman” Wilson slaps some guy, then spits on him, then ends it by shooting at him, luckily police actually stepped in one time before he killed that guy. two felonies and one misdemeanor — gun in a parking lot near campus — suspended indefinitely

8. LB Dusty “Rhodes” Doe, pummels some dude (ala Channing the Chainsaw Crowder) in a Alaucha County vs. Pasco County gang fight (Reds vs. Crips style). Punishment? No suspension from Meyer. Doe to face the (Jaws intro theme) Leadership Committee. one misdemeanor — disorderly conduct for parking garage brawl

9. The 7-Man shower Self shooting gun incident, Gator players led by Dee Webb, Andre “Bubba” Caldwell and Reggie Lewis had a $60,000 SUV loaded with improperly registered AK’s and other machine guns… and they were all drunk while shooting at apartment windows for fun. Of course initially nobody took the blame and they all said they were in the shower (together) and that the gun must have shot itself… Gators went with the deniable plausibility angle when Dee Webb shot off his arsenal saying he had already declared for the draft, so he was no longer a Gator.

T10. Dallas “Bike Taker” Baker, steals a bike, but when cops questioned him, Dallas said, “heck man, I just thought the bike was ‘abandoned’”. The sophomore was issued a sworn complaint from UPD as an officer stopped Baker near Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (which is a great place to take a deuce). Baker said he was late for an appointment and picked up an abandoned bicycle. Misdemeanor!!!

T10. Linebacker Taurean Charles. A UF student said Charles touched her against her will, the sworn complaint issued by the university police department said. Charles allegedly slammed her on the bed and onto a computer desk, picked her up over his head and threw her down on her roommate’s bed, according to the complaint. Charles was later dismissed from the Florida team.

Who is worse? Florida or Montana? [link]

Honorable Mention

Nyan (Cap’n Stabbin) Boateng gets into a heated arguement with some chick, a knife fight breaks out, Nyan Dogg ends up bloodied on the floor, luckily he was still alive.
“Nyan has some issues he is dealing with, and in the meantime, he will not participate in any team activities,” Florida spokesman Steve McClain said.
WR Percy Harvin, the star of the 2006 recruiting class, is a guy who was banned from Virginia High School sports. Why? Because he slugged a ref and had been involved in numerous brawls.

Chris Rainey and other recruits brag about how many gifts and wads of cash they are getting from Gator Alumni/Boosters… Cash, Jewelry, and throwback jerseys. But he was just joking. Ha Ha Ha.

Joakim Noah swipes at Vandy cheerleader [link], and later confronts the Vandy coach! That will show her and him. They were gatorbait!

Two Gator linebackers Darryl Gresham Jr. and Jon Demps go up in smoke, Cheech and Chong style, suspended from team on National Signing Day. Suspension/dismissals free up crucial scholarships for incoming Blue Chip recruits. Linebacking now a concern.

The unknown 6′4″ 280 pounder. A University of Florida student claimed a Gator football player stole his beer keg from the back of his truck which was heavily damaged as his head hit it. The student had a knot on his head and his neck was slashed by a ring. This was reported to the police as per a story in the Florida Alligator. This story quickly vanished. The student got his keg back and continued scraping the paint out of the knot on his head (legend says that the student now has a full scholarship!!)

2007 Big East Football Prospectus Part 6: South Florida

<SMALL class=metadata>0 Comments </SPAN>Published on 6.22.2007 by Brian Harrison http://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blogID=11343653&postID=7283158648674324560http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=11343653&postID=7283158648674324560 </SMALL>

Editor’s Note: This is part six of an eight part series giving analysis of each of the eight teams in the Big East Football Conference, proceeding alphabetically, but ending with Syracuse. A new team will be released each weekday for the next eight days. Feel free to use the comment section to supplement the facts and analysis presented, however my opinions will stand. Enjoy and I hope you are looking forward to the new Big East football season as much as I am. Part five can be found here.
South Florida
Preview – Coach Jim Leavitt returns a squad with 8 starters on both offense and defense. The major surprise in the Big East last year, winning their bowl game against East Carolina of C-USA, this team looks to shake up the top tier of the Big East again. Predicted to take forth or even third in the conference this year, they will look for continued success from their sophomore starting QB Matt Grothe (202/317, 2576yds, 15 TD, 14 INT, sacked 25 times). This team has solid linebackers, cornerbacks with experience, and the defense will be solid. The only question is how successful the Bulls’ running game will be. Freshman Mike Ford could make an immediate impact as Grothe was the teams leading rusher last year. Grothe, however, had some off field problems of the legal kind in a misdemeanor for serving alcohol to minors at his bartending gig, as well as a hairline fracture of his fibula in their bowl game last fall. He appears to be 100%, as he played well in their spring game, but the legal issue could mentally affect the play of this QB this season.

Key Returning Players – QB Matt Grothe, DE George Selvie, LB Ben Moffitt

Key Losses – LB Stephen Nicholas, WR S.J. Green, WR Ean Randolph

My Thoughts – This team will again be solid and a legitimate above the middle of the pack team. How far above the middle will be up to them. This is not an elite team and I would be hard pressed to be convinced they could take out West Virginia or Louisville. Grothe’s success could have been a fluke last year and he may find it not as easy this time around. Therefore so goes Grothe, so goes the Bulls’ season.

Will We Beat Them? – I think we have a legitimate shot with a decent passing game, something we desperately needed for the success of the run and the fatigue of the defense. This game is also in the Carrier Dome and I think we have a real shot at beating a team that is not named Louisville or West Virginia. Plus this picture might be motivation enough.

Back