Week 9 - What Did We Learn?

Frank Costanza

Co-Inventor of the Man's Bra
We only confirmed that Mike Leach is an unbridled idiot. Very good offensive mind but a prone to sheer buffoonery, way too often.

You have a lead and the ball with 4 minutes left tonight and twice you snap it with 20 seconds left on the play clock. Milk the clock. sure. Not to be outdone, you then call a stupid out for your QB that's pathetic, and results in an easy pick that leads to the winning score. I get that your offense is uptempo, but good coaches adapt. Not Leach.

His team fought its ass off tonight and coaching idiocy cost them the game.

That has been a long-standing problem for Leach. Cost them the bowl win vs CSU and a host of others.

The Stanford-ND battle is still on track...if only just.

Couldn't agree more with Leach I had the under so of course I am freaking out as he continues to snap ball with 20 seconds on play clock, and calls 3 consecutive pass plays with a rookie QB.

another prime example was the MN game.

After review you are given the ball one the 1 yard line, with one timeout and 19 seconds to play down by 3. Players are set as clock starts to run, they then change the formation. Snap the ball with 6 seconds left. 2 seconds on the clock now, and go for it (which I am fine with) but you put 3 backs behind your QB, only to do a QB sneak? why have 3 in the I when you are just going to sneak it. Also you finish game out of time, but yet have a TO that is awful. with 19 seconds left, ball on the one, and a TO you should get 2-3 cracks at endzone before calling TO and kicking FG.

Minnesota interim AD is at home against a QB that has thrown less than 10 career passes...you go to OT and win the game with all the momentum.

Thanks tho bud

Minnesota interim AD is at home against a QB that has thrown less than 10 career passes...you go to OT and win the game with all the momentum.

Thanks tho bud

Another win for Harbaugh. Looks good on his Southern Cal application

That big spread coaches need to play a bigger role in my capping. I have always felt that Urban could be trusted with whatever spread was thrown out. I saw a few this past weekend that kept their foot on the pedal, even though they were comfortably ahead. Leach used to be one, but doesn't have the horses.

ACC hates Duke football.

The shine is off the Gus Malzahn pig. They are 3-8 in last 11 against FBS teams, 1-7 against SEC. 5 of last 7 years will not have a winning conference record. Before that, Tuberville had 8 straight winning conference seasons. His play calling in the redzone has cost them multiple games. They likely owe him (and Chizik) way too much money to fire him after that ridiculous raise they gave him after luckboxing into the championship game, but that has been the pattern they've been following.

Most already knew this, but SEC officiating is outrageously bad.

I don't know that it will happen, but it's time for Richt and UGA to part ways. Maybe he can take one of these open jobs (Miami?) and save everyone from an ugly dismissal.

That OKST/Texas Tech game was pathetic. Can't believe that it is normal these days to give up 50+ points and still win comfortably

Don't look now SEC fans, but there's some good football being played in the B1G.

An undefeated American conference champion is every bit of a deserving playoff participant. Maybe even a 1 loss champ

Really hoping the Clemson defense was due to lack of focus and not dead legs. We will find out Sunday

Most have seen the highlights, but I was at the FSU game yesterday. Highly rated recruit, Jacquez Patrick is going to be a beast. Granted he was playing against Syracuse, but to put up this total in his first game with significant playing time, he looked GOOD. The highlights do not do his play justice. Big back, so we finally have a threat running up the middle. Would not be surprised if he is moved to FB at some point in his career, as he reminded me of Lonnie Pryor from a few years back.

Got home late after a little campus eye candy viewing. Man, there is so much talent on that campus.

The shine is off the Gus Malzahn pig. They are 3-8 in last 11 against FBS teams, 1-7 against SEC. 5 of last 7 years will not have a winning conference record. Before that, Tuberville had 8 straight winning conference seasons. His play calling in the redzone has cost them multiple games. They likely owe him (and Chizik) way too much money to fire him after that ridiculous raise they gave him after luckboxing into the championship game, but that has been the pattern they've been following.

I don't know that it will happen, but it's time for Richt and UGA to part ways. Maybe he can take one of these open jobs (Miami?) and save everyone from an ugly dismissal.

That OKST/Texas Tech game was pathetic. Can't believe that it is normal these days to give up 50+ points and still win comfortably

Don't look now SEC fans, but there's some good football being played in the B1G.

An undefeated American conference champion is every bit of a deserving playoff participant. Maybe even a 1 loss champ

It's past time for a professional officiating body. These insurance adjusters and high school principals can no longer be trusted as stewards of the game. There's too much at stake.

I just was following on twitter, but it seems what happened at the Duke-Miami game is inexcusable. Was the look that is floating around the internet not available to the refs? I mean, it cost them the game. The knee was DOWN. How is it fucked up?

The CFB race is wide open this year. Shit is gonna get real interesting.

LOL at the Tuesday unveiling......what is the point? Besides money and rabid interest lol......

I just was following on twitter, but it seems what happened at the Duke-Miami game is inexcusable. Was the look that is floating around the internet not available to the refs? I mean, it cost them the game. The knee was DOWN. How is it fucked up?

The CFB race is wide open this year. Shit is gonna get real interesting.

LOL at the Tuesday unveiling......what is the point? Besides money and rabid interest lol......

last part is exactly why, don't want to compete with SUnday or Monday night football

it is a joke to have that be a week in week out thing......

I continue to be completely baffled at why coaches allow dumb O-lineman to hold over and over, even though it costs them time after time.

Any team that gets a holding penalty on a possession has 50% less chance to score on that possession. And many, probably a majority, of the holds are after the back is already past the moron doing the holding. Many are by wide receivers grabbing a handful of jersey out in the open where it is easy for officials to see.

And even though it makes no sense, the percentage of holding when a team has first and goal is as high as it is on possessions at midfield or on their own end of the field. If your man makes the tackle on a play originating inside the five you lose a down, but still have a high chance of scoring. If you hold your team is moved so far back your chance of scoring a TD goes down by 70%. And yet they do it over and over.

I don't understand why coaches don't at least analyze the effects of holding inside the five and explain it to the players.

Or maybe they do and the players are too stupid to remember it. That's certainly the case of punt returners. These guys are told over and over and over, from the time they start playing in grade school not to field a punt close to the goal line. Teams practice if over and over. And yet guys do it almost every game. Even in the NFL. A guy from Miami fielded on on his 3-yard line against the Pats on Thursday night.

And college guys do it over and over. Coaches pull them aside and chew their ass and they go right back and do it again. Leach yelled and gestured at his punt returner for fielding one at the 8-yard line in a pouring rain and a few minutes later the guy fielded one on his one-yard line. Dropped it too, but managed to recover it.

I continue to be completely baffled at why coaches allow dumb O-lineman to hold over and over, even though it costs them time after time.

Any team that gets a holding penalty on a possession has 50% less chance to score on that possession. And many, probably a majority, of the holds are after the back is already past the moron doing the holding. Many are by wide receivers grabbing a handful of jersey out in the open where it is easy for officials to see.

And even though it makes no sense, the percentage of holding when a team has first and goal is as high as it is on possessions at midfield or on their own end of the field. If your man makes the tackle on a play originating inside the five you lose a down, but still have a high chance of scoring. If you hold your team is moved so far back your chance of scoring a TD goes down by 70%. And yet they do it over and over.

I don't understand why coaches don't at least analyze the effects of holding inside the five and explain it to the players.

Or maybe they do and the players are too stupid to remember it. That's certainly the case of punt returners. These guys are told over and over and over, from the time they start playing in grade school not to field a punt close to the goal line. Teams practice if over and over. And yet guys do it almost every game. Even in the NFL. A guy from Miami fielded on on his 3-yard line against the Pats on Thursday night.

And college guys do it over and over. Coaches pull them aside and chew their ass and they go right back and do it again. Leach yelled and gestured at his punt returner for fielding one at the 8-yard line in a pouring rain and a few minutes later the guy fielded one on his one-yard line. Dropped it too, but managed to recover it.

Kinda tough to blame the coaches for holding penalties. Holding occurs on basically every snap. Holding is allowed if you're within the framework of the body, so they're simply making mistakes when they get called for holding penalties. I agree they are frustrating and can be drive killers, but blaming the coaches seems a bit odd.

You're admitting that coaches most likely emphasize to their players how costly the penalties can be, and that they often chew them out after they commit a holding penalty. What more would you like the coach to do? Put in a player who isn't as good as the one already in the game and just hope it works out? That player will probably be more apt to commit a holding penalty because they aren't as good...or they'd be starting in the first place.

I learned that I am not as big a fan of the sport as I thought I was. I watched a few games this week, and thought every single game that I watched was a trash product, except for the quarter and a half that I watched of the Minnesota/Michigan game, which was entertaining football. Even though it was going great for me with an okie state 2h bet ... that isn't football. Sorry to be the old guy bitching .. but that is ...... not football. #notfootball. The targeting penalties are unbearable. The lack of tackling is unbearable. The snapping before the defense has a chance to get ready is unbearable. The Pass Interference interpretations are unbearable. The constant errors by video replay are unbearable (What's the point if they aren't going to reverse calls where a guys foot is clearly out of bounds or reverse calls when a guy is clearly down like in the ASU and Duke games?). The total ease with which receivers can run crossing patterns now without fear is silly, the total ease with which the QB position is played now is silly ... outside the pocket you get to throw it away, slide at the last second and you get a 15 yard penalty, release at the last second and you get a 15 yard penalty, ....

Pass interference is the worst ... you have three players ...

1. Player 1 is a wide receiver whose job it is to get open. He fails
2. Player 2 is a QB whose job it is to read the defense and get the ball to the open player. He fails and throws to covered player 1 who failed to get open.
3. Player 3 is a defensive back whose job it is to cover the wr. He succeeds.

And players 1 and 2 get rewarded over incidental crap every game when they didn't make good plays and player 2 gets punished for making a good play.

I could go on and on about how the powers that be have raped the game itself.

The product is still good if you are new to football ... I think that is probably true. But for long time fans the product is pure shit. It is a shell of its former self and it is the rare subject that virtually everyone I talk to agrees about ... the game is not as good as it was.

Throw in the fact that I have developed a disdain for the entitled kids playing, a disdain for coaches who do not understand a simple clock, a disdain for the NCAA for turning a blind eye to major programs who are cheating on the regular while punishing (seemingly randomly) kids, families, teams, programs, schools on a whim when they feel like it, a disdain for the announcers who know more about brain surgery than they do about football, a disdain for the officials who don't just miss calls (which I could accept) but seem to miss a lot of them consistently in favor or disfavor of a particular team all game long (and i say this while benefiting from it as much as i am punished from of it before you think it is sour grapes on anything).

Like I said, I could go on for a long time .... game is starting to suck.

C'mon...you gotta at least go with the Colts Resume (Andrew Luck) or the Dolphins Resume(Stephen Ross--Michigans biggest donor).

I feel like Harbaugh's kind of where he wants to be for now. Urban Meyer's a vagabond too, but I think this match-up sees a few years.

Until they meet again, USC-ND.

I learned that I am not as big a fan of the sport as I thought I was. I watched a few games this week, and thought every single game that I watched was a trash product, except for the quarter and a half that I watched of the Minnesota/Michigan game, which was entertaining football. Even though it was going great for me with an okie state 2h bet ... that isn't football. Sorry to be the old guy bitching .. but that is ...... not football. #notfootball. The targeting penalties are unbearable. The lack of tackling is unbearable. The snapping before the defense has a chance to get ready is unbearable. The Pass Interference interpretations are unbearable. The constant errors by video replay are unbearable (What's the point if they aren't going to reverse calls where a guys foot is clearly out of bounds or reverse calls when a guy is clearly down like in the ASU and Duke games?). The total ease with which receivers can run crossing patterns now without fear is silly, the total ease with which the QB position is played now is silly ... outside the pocket you get to throw it away, slide at the last second and you get a 15 yard penalty, release at the last second and you get a 15 yard penalty, ....

Pass interference is the worst ... you have three players ...

1. Player 1 is a wide receiver whose job it is to get open. He fails
2. Player 2 is a QB whose job it is to read the defense and get the ball to the open player. He fails and throws to covered player 1 who failed to get open.
3. Player 3 is a defensive back whose job it is to cover the wr. He succeeds.

And players 1 and 2 get rewarded over incidental crap every game when they didn't make good plays and player 2 gets punished for making a good play.

I could go on and on about how the powers that be have raped the game itself.

The product is still good if you are new to football ... I think that is probably true. But for long time fans the product is pure shit. It is a shell of its former self and it is the rare subject that virtually everyone I talk to agrees about ... the game is not as good as it was.

Throw in the fact that I have developed a disdain for the entitled kids playing, a disdain for coaches who do not understand a simple clock, a disdain for the NCAA for turning a blind eye to major programs who are cheating on the regular while punishing (seemingly randomly) kids, families, teams, programs, schools on a whim when they feel like it, a disdain for the announcers who know more about brain surgery than they do about football, a disdain for the officials who don't just miss calls (which I could accept) but seem to miss a lot of them consistently in favor or disfavor of a particular team all game long (and i say this while benefiting from it as much as i am punished from of it before you think it is sour grapes on anything).

Like I said, I could go on for a long time .... game is starting to suck.

Totally agree with this. Great post.

Tackling is an art that was given up on long ago. Kids effectively put themselves on roller skates because they are taught to "fly to the ball". Containment, and measured angles no longer exist in the game, and it's maddening to watch.

Last edited:
Agree with clown on not football in the Big 12.

It has been bad. Not kidding at all, I didn't watch Tech vs Okie Lite. But how in the fuck do they give up 70? Look I just saw the guys that get PAID each side give up 50, but that doesn't happen often. I mean what does Tech trot out there as a defense? you almost have to try and let that happen

Back