Week 9 What Are We Learning

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
As Lex mentioned, Buffalo has worrisome issues with its offensive line. Obviously, scoring only six points to Jax is very worrisome.

Denver and New England are legit playoff contenders bc of their defense?

Sam Darnold should not start another game for Carolina, at least not if they want to win. He looks like Jameis in a TB uniform.

San Fran, my gosh. A win today and you put yourself back in the discussion for at least a wild card spot. Not even competitive against a division rival without its 2 best players…wow

Cleveland, very impressive. Could not afford to drop another game in the division and they put their foot down and never looked back. Cincy is missing some pieces…still a year away. Still think Balt’s luck runs out and Clev wins the division.

GB special teams lost that game today. Defense stepped up and played great, but 2 missed fgs and a muffed punt were too much to overcome. J Love did not look good, but I’m willing to give him a pass for now as he was under duress for most of the game.

Besides that, I’ve learned to stop live betting.

I was at the Saints game today. 1st time in 2 years maybe bell to bell. Was odd. Definitely mild(I wasn’t there on Halloween).

Saints have a dilemma on their hands. That’s for sure.

I like what I saw from Trev( ya bro…I call him Trev)

Tay looked good too. After he picked up that that 3rd he shoulda had the ball again.
Saints dropped balls today at crucial times

Saints don’t use Callaway enough. Seemed like the 4th or 5th option for Jameis. He got more looks today but still not enough.

Never bet against arizona when everyone thinks they are sure to lose ? san fran twice, cleveland, everyone was against them. might be a great contrarian team/great dog not a good fav type team

I think Jax is a decent team - was a good spot for them today after a no - show at seattle. Jax has competed with quality competition entire year frankly , rank top 5 in rushing offense. I had them last week @ seattle - and I don't think that game is representative of who they are - kinda like dallas today. Of which I think were just were flat as can be after that primetime game. Maybe I'm not giving Denver enough credit, but I think dallas covers that spread if motivation and preparation is equal.

saints shouldn't be laying points to anyone - they matchup well vs tampa so they were overvalued coming into this game and falcons are a sneaky underrated team and have been for weeks I think. And as someone who had falcons against panthers last week - I don't know why the falcons laid an egg. Carolina has strung together 4-5 games in a row minus the atlanta game where they are absolutely garbage offensively. And the defense can be run on.

Texans problems isn't quarterback related. .....this team is bad.

Chiefs keep getting overrated - prbly gonna be on vegas next week.

Honestly I'm inclined to burn the tape on this week. Too many weird things happened. The Josh Allen Nexus of the Universe in Jacksonville. The Super Bowl XII Revenge in Dallas. The Covid Love story in KC. The return so far of Detroit Matt Stafford in LA. The return of ghosts in Sam Darnold's head. Atlanta actually surviving one of their patented fourth quarter collapses. Las Vegas getting Bad Derek Carr. Not sure how much of it we can take moving ahead.

Honestly I'm inclined to burn the tape on this week. Too many weird things happened. The Josh Allen Nexus of the Universe in Jacksonville. The Super Bowl XII Revenge in Dallas. The Covid Love story in KC. The return so far of Detroit Matt Stafford in LA. The return of ghosts in Sam Darnold's head. Atlanta actually surviving one of their patented fourth quarter collapses. Las Vegas getting Bad Derek Carr. Not sure how much of it we can take moving ahead.
I absolutely love this.

The right move in all honesty.

The Chiefs still suck. That's nothing new we learned, just a continuation.

I’ve learned that I really have no read on this league right now. League seems as wide open as I can remember. Can legitimately argue for and against probably like 7 or 8 teams in each conference as Super Bowl contenders

I like what I saw from Trev( ya bro…I call him Trev)

Tay looked good too. After he picked up that that 3rd he shoulda had the ball again.
Saints dropped balls today at crucial times
Why the hell would the saints not give Cam a call? Even rivers said he’d come out of retirement for them. Don’t waste the talent they got there. Cam running rpo with Kamara and Ingram? I’d take that

Titans 7-2. Huge wins. But have given up more yards per play than they’ve gained on the season. This will need to change for them.

Darnold is ass

Denver is still not good.

Niners are not good.

The league in general is without a dominant team. This is one of the most wide open seasons I have ever witnessed.

Chiefs D against Wash, Tenn, NYG and GB has been a D that can win playoff games.

This is a Patrick Mahomes/ lack of a WR2 issue. Mostly on 15.

Pardon me for a possible reach, but if there are boxing fans out there. This strikes me as a Wlad Klitschko type situation. Tons of success early. Then gets absolutely motherfucked by Corrie Sanders. Then, a shell of himself, he gets whooped by Lamon Brewster 6 months later. Enter Emmanuel Steward and some soul searching, he didn’t lose for 11 years after that.

I think the Super Bowl really broke him. I think he’s seeing 20 defenders out there. And I don’t think anyone would say he’s “washed” at 26. But he needs his Emmanuel Steward moment because his confidence is at about a negative 10 right now.

Curious if anyone thinks that’s a decent cross sport comparison.

I really thought Tyrod would ball out yesterday.

Lions didn’t lose.

Mike Zimmer should be fired into one of the 10,000 lakes.

I hate the Patriots. And BB took a lot of heat the last year. This may be one of his finest coaching performances. Because that team is not that good.

Someone tell me what Atlanta is. I almost want to believe.

Having had the night to sleep on the strangeness that was this weekend:

Road dogs covered 7 out of 10, with 5 SU wins. Home dogs went 2 for 4 SU and ATS.

So which were real and which can be explained away or corrected?

Browns/Bengals - That was one of the foreseeable ones, although the margin was certainly a surprise. Mayfield seems like a free man now and the unquestioned lead dog in the passing offense. Addition by subtraction. Bengals still have O-line issues that a good D-line can expose. But otherwise Burrow stood in there and took the blows and was still firing until very late in the game. He'll be a good one.

Broncos/Cowboys - Broncos are 3-0 with Jeudy in the lineup, but they're all against NFC East teams oddly. This win seems more a case of Dallas playing flat after a big shorthanded win. Dak seemed to be getting some timing back late in the game, I think they bounce back. Broncos have a tough road after their chance to be King of the NFC Least next week. Note to McCarthy: sometimes it ok to take the points in the first quarter. I get the 4th and 1 try at their 38, but after you get it back and its 4 and 2 at their 20, just take the 3 please and take the lead! You'd be surprised at how many teams fall apart when they fall behind (ahem, Rams, cough).

BTW, file this under Now I've Seen It All - Start of the 3rd Q Dallas blocked a punt on 4th and 14 that bounced a yard past the line of scrimmage and bounced off Cowboy rookie CB Nahshon Wright's hands. Broncos Jonas Griffith picked up the ball and ran 2 yards, falling down 12 yards short of the sticks. By rule Denver retained possession with a first down despite being 12 yards short of the line to gain. Can you say "Leon Lett"?

Also BTW, Malik Turner blocked the punt and scored both TDs for Dallas. I hope his parents were there and had better seats than the Love family had in KC. Yeesh.

Jax/Bills - No, forget about it. It's as rare as Josh Allen tackling himself, or throwing the ball to himself, or fumbling it to himself........wait, what?

Giants/Raiders - I think two things happened: 1) the Raiders lost a key player in Ruggs, who was stretching defenses, 2) the Raiders had to absorb a 2nd shock in as many game weeks and it was too much. I would expect if they have some resilience to bounce back.

Cards/Niners - Cards defense just got in Jimmy's face all day and made his life difficult. Colt McCoy showed why he's one of the better backups in the league. They are a deep, well rounded team. Niner's can move on to Lance with no regrets.

Titans/Rams - Was surprised the Tits D is playing so well, I didn't think their pass rush was much going into the season but they've been decent. The offense really didn't do much with barely 200 yards but they did enough. McVay seemed to panic and get away from a rush offense that was gaining better than 5 a rush to go all in with Stafford. As it was aptly put in the In-Game thread, you can take Stafford away from the Lions, but you can't take the Lion out of Stafford.

Last edited:
Sam Darnold should not start another game for Carolina, at least not if they want to win. He looks like Jameis in a TB uniform.
Yeah, he's Jameis light. All the turnovers without those unwanted TD's & passing yardage.

Honestly I'm inclined to burn the tape on this week. Too many weird things happened.

My immediate thoughts on yesterday are pretty much to agree with this, and only in part because I drew the collar this weekend.

Some time about midway through the early games yesterday I started to call yesterday Give It All Back Weekend. I don't think there's a person in the world who didn't hear the books bellyaching about the couple of weeks where they just got crushed by favorites (after dogs and unders starting pretty hot right out of the gate, btw).

Funny thing, I haven't heard the books say anything about yesterday, imagine that. Actually, imagine them rolling around in a big pile of money because that's more accurate.

Even heading into this week I heard a lot of, ‘We haven’t had any major upsets yet!’ and “No dog over 7+ has won outright yet!”Well, we sure as fuck have had them now. So congrats for knocking me out of survivor with your jinxes, sports radio chucklefuckers.

Funny thing for me is, had I just stuck with my Pick Club contest plays (and maybe not been afraid to play that over in Baltimore rather than jumping on BAR’s Las Vegas Raiders) I’d have had a good day. But instead I'd bought in on a lot of what I thought would be early line value last week and that turned out to be a bit of a disaster.

Anyway, there were ways to survive yesterday—for example, somehow it didn’t occur to me that New England has seen Sam Darnold many times before, that Sam Darnold may not totally be recovered from that concussion, and why the hell are we not just betting against Sam Darnold purely because he's Sam Darnold. But it is what it is.

What jumped out to me in a number of games is how what appeared to be terrible spots ended up not mattering at all. Tenny was in a bad spot, Arizona was in a bad spot, Denver seemed like they were in a bad spot, Minnesota catching Balty off a bye. To me, that all of these seemed not to matter is an outlier.

To the point of burning the tape, I’d also add this:

Does anybody think that KC game is truly representative of KC’s defense?

Does anybody really think Denver essentially shuts out Dallas if they lined up again next week?

Does anybody think that Jags/Bills game would happen again any time this season?

It just really feels to me like a lot of these games weren’t representative of who a number of these teams are.

What I will say though, is we’re seeing some of the teams who had pretty significant injury issues really early start to rebound a bit.

Denver getting Jeudy back dramatically helps their offense.

Cleveland is starting to get a little healthier and yesterday it showed.

The Giants, while not healthy, have absolutely proven over the last few weeks that they can play through just a ton of injuries.

On specific teams:

I agree with @Capaholic, I really thought Tyrod would show up yesterday for Houston.

San Fran is obviously, clearly done. It seems like it’s some combination of injury and coaching attrition, but yesterday ended their season.

There’s still no way you’re going to get me to believe in Miami.

There is still no way you’re going to get me to believe in the Jets … although Mike White may make me think about it for second. Just a little.

There’s also no way you’re going to convince me this KC team right now is any good. And that sucks, I have a ticket on them to win the division, but the SB loss fucked this team up somehow, they’re just not right.

The Raiders loss doesn’t totally shock me, and I should probably stop doing this thing where I’m like, “The Giants suck, I should bet against them purely on that." I’m pretty sure that’s worked out for me exactly once in the last four weeks. Actually, now that I think about it, I’ve been against them in every one of their wins. Ugh.

The Chargers winning didn’t shock me, that they didn’t win by more surprised me seeing as how I consider them a team that should be able to throw on teams and the Eagles a team that you should be able to throw against. Obviously though, you can run on the Chargers. Which we knew, but man, you can run on the Chargers.

I still believe in Buffalo even though somehow they are now only a half a game up in the division.

If the season ended today, your wildcards from #4 to #7 would be:

AFC
  • Raiders
  • Steez
  • Patriots

NFC
  • Rams
  • Saints
  • Falcons

This means, KC, Cleveland, and Cincy would all miss the playoffs. Meanwhile, in the NFC, both the teams in the 8th and 9th spots right now looking in have losing records (Carolina 4-5, Minny 3-5).

In thinking about it, maybe I felt like this weekend was where we started to see separation happen. But maybe that starts next week. Week 10 means ~seven games left, I feel like it’s time to start seeing some urgency from some of these playoff teams.

Denver and KC are now both 5-4 and have a lot of control over their own destiny—KC in particular has a big game this week at LV (and they just signed Desean Jackson if his IG is to be believed). And Denver gets a pretty weak Eagles team at Mile High. Which Joe should have planned better and attended, but we won’t talk about that.

Cleveland and Cincy are in the same spot, both 5-4, but both on the outside of the playoffs looking in. It’s time to make a move. Cincy has a week off to think about it, but the Browns play a playoff team at NE.

Indy also needs to continue to make a move. They’re at the back of the playoff pack, but it’s doable. And they have Jax in Indy.

I’d say Atlanta, NO, and Carolina are all in a similar spot despite their records. NO is the leader in the clubhouse in terms of being in the playoffs, but they just dropped a head-to-head vs. Atlanta which is huge. NO also seems to have a QB problem right now. Meanwhile, Atlanta is only a half a game ahead of Carolina, although those teams seem to be headed in different directions. but Atlanta's still only .500.

This makes me think it would be smart to see Carolina make a QB change, though I don’t think that’s happening. But I’d be happy to be wrong as someone who has a small piece of Carolina over 7.5 wins which, if you look at their schedule the rest of the way, good luck with that.

Anyway, I hated this week, but mostly and largely because I lost. Let's see if we can change that this week.

Shannahan is so overrated, i been guilty of it as well but im done. last year he got a pass cause all the injuries but what the excuse now? cardinals were the injured team yesterday and they just buried niners in this division.

jfc, how stupid can kids these day be? i used to say any mfer talking bout killing aint killing shit. Im not sure that true anymore, these dumb mfers today will actually talk bout it and put evidence on the interweb, then wonder how the fuck they end up in prison!

any ya'll ready to come around to my "pats are a playoff team" stand i was mocked for in the early going? lol
I think they can be though honestly I’d like to see some more victories against quality opponents, not the Jets and Panthers

Mayocks strategy of drafting 1st rounders from solely bama, clemson, and ohio state because of supposed maturity is showing some holes

This was my thought when I saw he was a 2020 pick as well. The real question about what this says about Mayock more than anything. Well, that and the rumor I always heard was that Chucky basically had final say on the picks. So you'd think that would change. But there've been a lot of questions about whether or not this regime can draft.

I also realized I didn't say much about the Philadelphia Football Eagles earlier. What's interesting to me about the Birds these last two weeks is that we've learned one thing while maybe learning even less about if Hurts is the guy.

What we've learned the last two weeks is, holy shit, a running game helps you win football games. It's amazing. Now, most people knew this already. Most coaches knew this already. But Nick Sirianni kind of had to learn it the hard way. But now that he's seen it in action, over the course of multiple games, I think he may finally get it. Which is good!

The only downside is, Jalen is now not really throwing the ball at all. This week he was 11/17 for 162 and 1 TD. Last week he was 9/14 for 103. These would be good first halves, but full games ... And look, last week they didn't really need him to throw and yesterday—I admit, I saw very little of this game but—they were in the game the whole way with the numbers he put up. So this really isn't even me saying bad things about the coaching or the strategy, it's more me wondering if somehow we go through an entire season and don't really have the answer to whether Hurts is the guy because he doesn't really throw the ball all that often. Or if that in and of itself is the answer.

This one ain't a hit tho

He was 5th string at this point, horrible draft pick

Mayocks strategy of drafting 1st rounders from solely bama, clemson, and ohio state because of supposed maturity is showing some holes
I know he didn’t play much. Still, tOSU been putting CB heavy in the league…glad it wasn’t added to Saints problems.

This was my thought when I saw he was a 2020 pick as well. The real question about what this says about Mayock more than anything. Well, that and the rumor I always heard was that Chucky basically had final say on the picks. So you'd think that would change. But there've been a lot of questions about whether or not this regime can draft.
They've had 4 drafts

Of the 1sts
-Miller is a very good LT
-Ferrell huge bust, Jacobs and Abrahms both picked in 20s have worked out well
-Ruggs... I mean, as a player he was coming on great, but a huge miss on character, Arnette miss on both
-Leatherwood has been very good as a guard since he was moved from RT. People said this was a reach, but Ravens were taking him a few picks later it came out after so who knows. If he and Moehrig swapped draft spots people would be calling both steals.

Not great, but not terrible, I think Ferrell swings it to a disappointment because he was the only top 5 pick and also a reach, Devin White and jags josh allen going in next 3 picks looks rough now.

2018 was just a horrible draft after Miller
2020 only Edwards and john Simpson are contributors, both staters

2019 was strong.
Crosby, Mullen, and renfro are all great picks, foster moreau a very solid backup TE
2021 looking strong too
Moehrig was a steal in 2nd, nate Hobbs too in the 5th

So I would say they get a B-

I'd give mayock another year, especially to see what he does with full control, I do think he was more involved after the 1st round whereas Grudens guys were the 1sts and especially the offensive picks 100%

From what I've seen gruden had final say though, I think mark davis even said after gruden resigned that mayock would go from 49% to 51% control now.

tonight will be another thing that makes nagy look bad (im assuming he back?),, so fields looks good while he away last week now he gonna struggle this week and nagy will get crushed, although i agree nagy should be fired this one wont be on him, steelers a bad matchup for bears oline. It be a win if Fields can live thru this game!

/

Yeah. I think Fields gonna have a hard time tonight. Then again, these past few weeks I’ve been horrible at NFL so who knows

Yeah. I think Fields gonna have a hard time tonight. Then again, these past few weeks I’ve been horrible at NFL so who knows

Lol. I feel ya. I loved Titans last night but instead of just taking them i ended up playing bunch of their player props over, go figure they win and nobody goes over anything.

I'd give mayock another year, especially to see what he does with full control, I do think he was more involved after the 1st round whereas Grudens guys were the 1sts and especially the offensive picks 100%

To me this is the key. The 51/49 thing to me is also funny because that's about where I am on firing the GM after this year. On the one hand, how can you if this team is above .500 or a playoff team after everything they went through. That's a huge success. On the other hand, look at what they went through. Hahahaha. Obviously Gruden wasn't Mayock's fault—and really, what was Mayock going to do even if Gruden was a terror in the building today? But you could pin Ruggs on him and this other dude with the guns.

But I agree with you, I'd give him this draft which is also a bit unfair because the picks will be later and drafts are always an inexact science. But if you were to say, miss on this years picks and go 7-10 next season, it's a pretty easy call if you want the guy gone.

To me this is the key. The 51/49 thing to me is also funny because that's about where I am on firing the GM after this year. On the one hand, how can you if this team is above .500 or a playoff team after everything they went through. That's a huge success. On the other hand, look at what they went through. Hahahaha. Obviously Gruden wasn't Mayock's fault—and really, what was Mayock going to do even if Gruden was a terror in the building today? But you could pin Ruggs on him and this other dude with the guns.

But I agree with you, I'd give him this draft which is also a bit unfair because the picks will be later and drafts are always an inexact science. But if you were to say, miss on this years picks and go 7-10 next season, it's a pretty easy call if you want the guy gone.

I didn’t think he was all that good a hire to begin with, I wouldn’t give him another draft to screw up. Obviously I didn’t know this was gonna happen with Ruggs but thought it was pretty stupid taking him ahead of Lamb anyways. Ruggs was coming into his own but don’t think he was ever gonna be what CD looking like he can be, one the best 5 or so wrs in the league.

Never thought Mayock was actually any good when all he got paid for was his draft opinions on NFL Net

Funny that it's carried over to the real world. Now that they're out of Oakland I kinda, sorta want to pull for the Raiders but not with that clown pulling the strings

Yep, Bisacchia needs playoffs imo to keep the head coach job, because then it's an easy case to keep Carr in same offense with Greg Olsen as OC, and Gus Bradley has done such a good job on defense, but his run in jacksonville means hes gonna need a few more years before he gets a sniff of a head job so he wont leave

But mayock is safe, and like you said would be unfair to grade him on next years picks next year, but if it's a down year then davis blows it up and brings in someone new to hand the whole operation over too

Wacky weekend and the box scores don’t reflect the results:

- Baltimore don’t cover as they win 34-31. They had 266 passing yards and 247 rushing yards to Minnesota’s 187 and 131. There is 195 yards difference in yardage but only 3 points in the game
- Buffalo had 264 and 72 yards to the Jags 151 and 79 (difference of 96 yards) but lose by 3 points
- Vegas had 296 and 117 yards to the Giants 110 and 149 (difference of 154 yards) but lose by 7 points
- Green Bay had 190 and 122 to the Chiefs 166 and 77 (difference of 69 yards in a low scoring game) but lose by 6 points
- Rams had 294 and 94 yards to the Titans 143 and 69 (difference of 176 yards) but lose by 12 points
- Chicago had 291 and 136 yards to the Steelers 205 and 105 (difference of 117 yards) and lose by 2 points

Had Green Bay and Chicago on the ml while the other four against the spread. A combination of turnovers, penalties and questionable officiating (which you can’t cap for) and it is a horrible weekend.

ya'll feeling me yet that Fields is gonna be good? long as he can survive taking all the hits he does!! He played fantastic in the 4th against the steelers, remember any progress he showing even more impressive considering his coach sucks!!!

Back