Week 9 Recaps, misleading scores, observations, etc

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
Some early game recaps before bed. I was away last week and didn’t get to anything.

Iowa State had atleast three (that I saw) sure TD passes that were incomplete. The first was overthrow of wide open receiver in corner of EZ in 1st qrt (got FG). The second I believe was a 3rd down wide open deep down the middle off the receivers hands near the goal line (I think they punted on 4th down next play, the 2nd down play before this a wide open pass was dropped which would’ve been a first down). And the third was too high of a wide open receiver in the 4th qrt on 4th down in the EZ (the Clone D did get a safety on the next play). ISU also had three drives end SOD at the K St 38, 1 and 31. The drive they were stopped from the 1 was an 11p77y drive. It might seem like ISU got a lucky back door cover with their final covering TD coming with under 1 minute in the game, but ISU outgained K St 493-398 (6.7-5.6 ypp). Each team kicked FGs from inside the 10 in the first qrt following long drives. K ST was 4-of-4 RZ scoring, ISU was 3-of-4 and also threw and INT, which didn’t necessarily hurt them as it was on a deep pass like a punt...but it did occur on 1st down.

UConn’s first 3 drives netted just 10 yards, in the first half UC got to the EC 29 and 17 (missed and made FG), but in the second half UC didn’t get closer than the EC 37. While it was an easy EC win, as they game unfolded key 4th down conversions helped EC along the way. EC’s first TD came on a 4th and 2 pass from the 4. Late 3rd qrt EC converted a 4th and 4 from the UC 35 to sustain a drive eventually leading to a TD. 14-3 EC at that time. On a 12p 72y 3rd qrt drive EC converted a 4th-and-goal for a TD making it 24-3. EC also turned a fumbled KO and an INT ret into short drives for quick and easy TD and FGs (9 yard TD drive and –3y FG drive). Pirates got 4 sacks and was +3 turnovers to go with a stagnant UC offense. About time ECU gets some points off turnovers instead of wasting scoring chances by turning it over themselves.

Duke – GT was some game! Tech got up 14-0, the next 2 Duke drives ended on a fumble and SOD in GT territory, but were able to pull to 7-14 on an 11p 87y drive before a blink of an eye two big plays later GT made it 21-7. Duke was driving to score a TD of their own courtesty of a big run when the RB fumbled following 57y run to the 3, but fumbled and GT recovered. Duke’s final drive of the first half was another SOD in GT territory. Make that 2 fumbles lost and 2 SOD all in GT territory. At halftime GT led 28-7, BUT Duke had 15-8 FD, 344-327ty advantages!! Cutcliff said after halftime he told his team that “most people would run away from this situation, we’re going to do everything we can to win this game”. And that they did. To open the 3rd qrt Duke threw and INT, but GT handed it right back. Duke went 5p 45y for TD (score 14-28), then GT fumbled the KO and 1p 10y later Duke scored another TD making it 21-28. AFter a GT FG, Duke would drive the field 6p 75y for their 3rd TD of the 3rd qrt and trailed only 28-31. In the 4th Duke stopped GT on 4th down and went 8p 68y for a TD and took the lead 35-31! But Duke was out of gas...Justin Thomas took over with a 46y run (longer because he scrambled out of the EZ on 2nd and 19) then a 21y TD pass and following a Devil 3-and-out Thomas iced it on 3rd and 17 with a 50y scramble where GT killed the clock. GT ended with a 605-559 yard edge, Duke was 8 of 13 on 3rd down, GT 6 of 12. Justin Thomas was the first GT player with 400+y of O since 2001. Jones passed for 305 and ran for 73.

Louisville was the victim of a lot of dropped passes early, atleast 3 by Quick I think. For the game Cardinals held a 508-322 yard edge, 27-17 FD, neither team could convert 3rd downs (25 and 28%). But Virginia sacked Jackson 5x (once on 4th down) and UVA D racked up 10 tfl. UVA got things going when LV punted from their own EZ and Cavs returned it to the 7, but had to settle for a FG. After a LV TD drive, Jackson fumbled on the next possession setting UVA up at the 28, 2 plays later UVA had a TD and the lead 10-7. End of 1st qrt LV had a 151-76 yard edge, but trailed. UVA threw an INT from the LV 21, but LV would be stopped on 4th and 3 from the UVA 30 (Jackson sacked). In the 2nd qrt LV had –27 rushing! but overall first half LV had 261-170 yard edge (LV was 1 of 6 3rd down at HT, UVA 3 of 8), the score was still 10-7 Hoos. Jackson was just 11 of 20 passing, but for 205y. After a LV 3-and-out, UVA opened with a 6p 69y TD drive for the 17-7 lead. Jackson then threw an INT setting UVA up at the 15, but they would miss a FG (a TD there would've been huge). LV would go on for an 8p 80y TD drive (17-14 UVA lead) and in the 4th qrt a 1st down throw by Benkert was INT’d leading to a 2p 12y LV TD drive. 21-17 LV at this point. A LV FG extended it to 24-17, but UVA was not done. They would go on an epic 14p 75y 6+ minute drive converting 4th down twice for a TD and 2 pt conv for the lead 25-24 under 2 minutes left. LV would answer going down field like a hot knife threw butter getting into atleast FG range when Jackson threw a 1st down 29y TD pass for the win with :13 left.

A lot of points were scored in the UK-Mizzou game, but there could’ve been more. UK missed a FG on their opening drive. UK also fumbled at the Miz 19 and later threw an INT at the Miz 8. Opening drive of the 2nd half Miz missed a FG from the 6 following a 10p 69y drive. UK O is sure in high gear, after having just 351 and 307 vs the likes of SCar and Vandy, the last two weeks they have posted 500+ vs Miss St (554) and Mizzou (582) – most yards gained vs SEC since 2010. First back-to-back 500y games since 2001. 377y rushing were the most vs SEC since 1953. All of a sudden, UK has a big play O!

More later...chime in if you like...

just few observations:

The majority of the bets I make in a season end up being unders. Seems to me this season more than any other I can remember they are just getting harder to win. They are rarely fun to root for from the human element but it's unbearable at times. Not sure if it's the different rule changes or exactly what but in the off season I'm going to have to try to pinpoint it and see if I need to tweak some stuff. Winning an under should pay +200

Along that same vein, I had U56 in Michigan/Mich State so keep in mind I do have a bias here, but there was not a single penalty called in that entire game that I can recall that was advantageous to the under. I don;t think I remember an offensive holding ever called, there were prob some false starts but there were several clear violations on the OL that were regularly missed - it was astounding. Dantonio said he wanted to send a message with going for two - he sent me a message and that is he made an idiotic decision that guaranteed his team couldn't win the game. Kick the XP, dummy, a 5 point margin does nothing for you. I was impressed with Mich QB I havent watched a full game of theirs and he is good. As a Bama fan and mich as a potential future opponent, I would love that matchup. Doubt it would be as bad as what Bama has done to Sparty past couple but it looks like it would be a more comfortable win than I would have thought.

There are some things that you will never be able to see just looking at a box score. The difference in the Wash/Utah game were two penalties - both made by Wash. The first was after they got a great stop on 3rd and goal their defender decides he needs to taunt the QB - thus giving Utah the first down instead of forcing the FG. Then late in the game they get a dumb roughing the passer penalty which was either on 3rd or 4th down I don't remember but it would either have stopped them on downs or actually I think it was 3rd and they would have force the punt but instead gives them another 1st down and they score a TD. So that is 11 points because of lack of discipline. There was really a lack of discipline for both teams all game and that was in the form of really poor tackling, I thought both teams really were awful in that regard. Washington survived a really tough environment but I came away thinking it's hard for a team to go it for 15 games having never been there before - Washington has the pieces in place, I just don't think they have the experience against a team like tOSU, Clemson, Alabama who know how to do it and have done it - or in the words of Dabo, "Have the heart of a champion".

Will Muschamp is now 5-0 against Tennessee in his career. Tenn Under 9.5 wins cashes in a kind of unlikely manner but certainly fitting given this team could be winless. I wish Dobbs would stay 4 more years - or 40.

Two teams that have benefited greatly from QB changes - USCe and Oregon State.

just few observations:

The majority of the bets I make in a season end up being unders. Seems to me this season more than any other I can remember they are just getting harder to win. They are rarely fun to root for from the human element but it's unbearable at times. Not sure if it's the different rule changes or exactly what but in the off season I'm going to have to try to pinpoint it and see if I need to tweak some stuff. Winning an under should pay +200

Along that same vein, I had U56 in Michigan/Mich State so keep in mind I do have a bias here, but there was not a single penalty called in that entire game that I can recall that was advantageous to the under. I don;t think I remember an offensive holding ever called, there were prob some false starts but there were several clear violations on the OL that were regularly missed - it was astounding. Dantonio said he wanted to send a message with going for two - he sent me a message and that is he made an idiotic decision that guaranteed his team couldn't win the game. Kick the XP, dummy, a 5 point margin does nothing for you. I was impressed with Mich QB I havent watched a full game of theirs and he is good. As a Bama fan and mich as a potential future opponent, I would love that matchup. Doubt it would be as bad as what Bama has done to Sparty past couple but it looks like it would be a more comfortable win than I would have thought.

There are some things that you will never be able to see just looking at a box score. The difference in the Wash/Utah game were two penalties - both made by Wash. The first was after they got a great stop on 3rd and goal their defender decides he needs to taunt the QB - thus giving Utah the first down instead of forcing the FG. Then late in the game they get a dumb roughing the passer penalty which was either on 3rd or 4th down I don't remember but it would either have stopped them on downs or actually I think it was 3rd and they would have force the punt but instead gives them another 1st down and they score a TD. So that is 11 points because of lack of discipline. There was really a lack of discipline for both teams all game and that was in the form of really poor tackling, I thought both teams really were awful in that regard. Washington survived a really tough environment but I came away thinking it's hard for a team to go it for 15 games having never been there before - Washington has the pieces in place, I just don't think they have the experience against a team like tOSU, Clemson, Alabama who know how to do it and have done it - or in the words of Dabo, "Have the heart of a champion".

Will Muschamp is now 5-0 against Tennessee in his career. Tenn Under 9.5 wins cashes in a kind of unlikely manner but certainly fitting given this team could be winless. I wish Dobbs would stay 4 more years - or 40.

Two teams that have benefited greatly from QB changes - USCe and Oregon State.

It is a combination of the rule changes and the effect it has on where athletes play now and how the ones that do play act. They have made playing defense 100% not fun. You have to line up super fast to defend the hurry up no huddle. You are not allowed touch the wr in route. if you cover the guy and the qb makes a bad underthrow you get called for PI. if you don't cover the guy and hit him after he catches it you get a 15 yard penalty and might be thrown out of the game. the offensive wr is allowed to push off on you over and over again. you spend all day rushing the passer but if he is outside the tackle box he can throw it away. if he has a fast release and you hit him then it is a late hit or unnecessary roughness or leading with your helmet. All the rules take away the aggressiveness from the defender and that is what they are designed to do. As these rule changes have been gradually implemented you are left with no balance when it comes to having fun .. no sacks, no hits and getting called for PI and personal fouls isn't fun. So then your young quality athlete has to choose .. go on offense where I get to do whatever I want and glory comes easy or play defense? The result is that we now have rules completely favoring the offense and most of our best athletes playing WR rather DB.

I thought the officiating in the washington utah game was particularly bad and I really thought the unsportsmanlike conduct call was ridiculous. He made a motion with his hand like a talking mouth (which seems to indicate to me it was a two way street. That the utah player was jawing right along with everyone else). Add taunting/celebrating a good play on defense to the list of unfun things about playing defense.

Tons of deceiving scores yesterday but since I know sk will do it, and write it up with more effort, I won't touch it.

I decided yesterday that I probably won't follow the sport next season. Leftists ruin everything and I am afraid that now includes football.

I barely watch the nfl anymore because that product is so awful. That started a couple years ago and I watch less each year. CFB tends to be a couple years behind the nfl so it makes sense the product is now a steaming pile.

Agree on the Michigan analysis too. Alabama would make mince meat of that team 9 out of 10 times. But that is why they play the game.

I also chuckled at the vols could be winless comment. Back end of their schedule is easy though

We were reminded this week that the Mid American Conference is fucked up!

4 games this week, 4 upsets, 3 double digit dogs.

Buffalo+19.5 41-20 over Akron
Ohio +15 31-26 over Toledo
Kent St +12 27-24 over Central Michigan
Mia, Oh +7 28-15 over Eastern Michigan

The combined record of the 3 who won coming in 5-18 without Ohio, with Ohio's record 10-21. The combined record of the teams that lost coming in was 21-10.

The only game Thomas Woodson played worse this year was at Wisconsin. Woodson would go just 18-42 (43%) 178-TD-INT, but his Buffalo counterpart was no better through the air, Jackson 7-21 (33%) 140-TD-INT. The difference was the Buffalo running game..QB Jackson adding 60y on 9 att and Jordan Johnson exploded for 282y (school record) on 24 att (he had 443 in prior 7 games total). Teams traded short FGs early, Buffalo's aided by a bad punt snap giving them a short field. Then Buffalo just starts going off...6p 77y TD drive featuring a 41y pass...a 2p 65y TD drive coming on a 61y Johnson run. 17-3 Bulls. Akron threw INT at the 19, but Buff punts and Natson returns it 79y for TD 17-10. Bulls close the half with a FG drive featuring a 38y pass to the Akr 8. 1st half Buffalo had 263-78 yard edge (somewhat due to the bad punt snap by Akron and the punt ret TD eliminating a possession). Akron's 2nd half drives resulted in a 29y FG, SOD at the 25, TD, SOD again at the 25 (sack), punt...while Buffalo continued to go off with big plays and TDs! Buffalo yardage edge for the game was 518-306 (8.2-3.6). Bulls allowed over 300y rushing 5x this year, they held Akron to just 128y (3.08 ypc)! Surprise surprise. Each team lost 2 turnovers.

Logan Woodside passed for his second highest total on the year 32-46-438-3TD-INT, while Solich pulled Maxwell in the first half going with season opening starter Windham who provided a spark. Windham was later injured and Maxwell returned. Ohio QBs combined 11-22-243-3TD-0INT. As Ohio used big plays in the passing game and running game propelling them to their best O output vs IA non-OT games of the year (512y and best ypp of the season 7.31). Dorian Brown went off for 212y on 29att. But it was the lack of running game out of Toledo that was as big of a surprise...Hunt just 15-50 and Swanson 10-58....122 team rush yards were the fewest Rockets had on the season. Toledo was SOD at the OU 30 following a 64y drive. Ohio did have a 1st and 10 at the Tol 17, but a bad snap resulted in a 31y loss and eventual punt. Toledo later had 1st down at the OU 14, but settled for FG. Appeard Toledo was getting things going their way with a short throw from their EZ across the middle on beating man coverage for a 98y score to trial by 1 13-14. Next drive OU fumbled in Tol territory, but Bobcats outscored them 17-13 from there. Alot of Ohio's big plays came on 3rd down...3rd and 7 = 57y TD pass. Another 3rd and 7 = 37y pass. 3rd and 1 = 36y run and a very big 3rd and 6 pass conversion of 9y to Smith to sustain their final drive enabling them to kill more clock before ultimately giving it back to Toledo where they couldn't get the comeback going. Ohio only converted 36% on 3rd down, but it was the highest allowed vs a Rocket D this year.

Despite C Mich getting a Def TD, they were -2 TOs overall in their surprising home loss to Kent as the Golden Flashes had their best yardage output over the last several games. An opeing play Kent fumble was squandered by CM as they had a FG blk'd, while Kent would capitalize on a CM fumble turning it into a 4p 14y TD drive. CM did blk a punt for a safety. CM twice threw INTs in Kent territory 1st half. In the 2nd half the wheels appeared to fall off of Kent as CM went up 24-10 including a pick-six. But Kent would answer with a 82y TD drive and then got a 68y Holley TD run to tie it 24 all. CM had their 2nd FG of the game blk'd and amazingly with just 1:55 left Kent was able to drive off their own 14 with Holley completing 4 of 6 for 36y and rushing for 34y driving down to the 18 where Kent kicked the game winning FG with :00 left (first game expiring score for the win since 2003). Kent S Nate Holley leads the nation with 80 solo tkls, he had 10 today. There were 4 blk'd kicks in this game (3 FG, 1 punt).

Miami, Ohio pretty much dominated EM with leads of 7-0 (75y M drive), 14-0 (85y M drive), 14-3, 21-3 (84y M drive), 21-9, 28-9 (72y M drive), 28-15 (for some reason EM started going for 2 on their TDs which failed). Just when EM thought they were cutting into the lead in the second half, Miami would answer back. Redhawks have now won 3 straight as EM was held to their 3rd worst yardage of the year just 361 (just 33 on the ground) while Miami got 405 incl 230 rushing. Miami had a 245-109 first half yard edge. Since coming back from offseason injury, Mia QB Gus Ragland is now 60% passing, 571y passing, 77y rushing, 6-0 TD-INT ratio in the last 3 games.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that ISU opened the 2nd half with a nice onside kick and went down and scored TD. Then after their final score, down 5, ISU was a half yard away from recovering another onside kick (they did recover, but touched it too soon).

Agree on the Michigan analysis too. Alabama would make mince meat of that team 9 out of 10 times. But that is why they play the game.

I also chuckled at the vols could be winless comment. Back end of their schedule is easy though

Back end of the schedule is easy, and they're now 0-1 against it.

Back end of the schedule is easy, and they're now 0-1 against it.

haha yup. I had the vols as I thought they could just overwhelm south carolina and of course the spot was absolutely phenomenal for the vols. I forgot how bad a coach that guy is and i suppose i forgot about every game tennessee has played this year.

Maybe not relevant thread but I'll repost in B1G thread later.

CwBkgeIUsAASi_V.jpg

The SEC officials may give them a run for their money. The only group worse is my church league softball umps

Box score shows Mich with just 436-401 yard edge.

MSU whent 12p 75y opening drive (63 rush), but their next 4 1st half drives totaled just 97y as Michigan racked up 309y and kicked two short FGs each from the 5 or 6.

At HT felt like Michigan was about to roll, up 27-10, reflected in the 2nd half line closing at 13.5. I forget where it opened, 11.5 maybe, it just kept climbing as Michigan looked far better than the scoreboard showed in the 1st half.

MSU jumped a wheel route on 2nd down for a huge INT at the 25 to stop the bleeding and a big return to the 33 put MSU in position to keep it close. MSU was SOD at the 2, but certainly flipped field position. That ensuing drive Michigan drove all the way to the MSU 11 with a first down, but O PI eventually led to a 45y FG instead of a would-be TD.

MSU owned the 4th qrt with a 231-46 yard edge!!! That would make it Michigan 390-170 yard for Mich entering the 4th qrt.

I thought the officiating in the washington utah game was particularly bad and I really thought the unsportsmanlike conduct call was ridiculous. He made a motion with his hand like a talking mouth (which seems to indicate to me it was a two way street. That the utah player was jawing right along with everyone else). Add taunting/celebrating a good play on defense to the list of unfun things about playing defense.

the roughing the passer on 3rd and 10 where he spun williams down was downright feminine even by p12 standards

PAC 12 officials are worse than both and it's not even close. MAC used to be shit too but I haven't watch one snap of MAC play this year so I don't know if that is still true or not.

the roughing the passer on 3rd and 10 where he spun williams down was downright feminine even by p12 standards

That was so fukkin bad and changed the entire game.....the woofing penalty on the goal line also bad.....the three missed blocks in the back on Pettis punt return touch pretty fukkin bad too......

Who knows what was actually said on the woofing but I agree. How about Joe Williams hitting right knee, left knee, then stretching the ball and dropping it only to be called a fumble. It's like PAC 12 officials have no grasp of the rules. They fucked Utah on a TO in the Cal game too. They are incompetent and Larry Scott does nothing about it. The teams in the conference deserve better.

BC shuts down NC St run game to just 31y (1.3) to BC’s 168 (3.8). NC St lost 3 TOs, BC 2. BC had FG blk’d and NC St was SOD twice in BC territory in first half (4th and 6 from 41 sacked and 4th and 1 from 29). One NC St fumble led directly to BC FG. Then NC St threw INT, BC gave INT right back and NC St took lead 14-13 following a 1p 23y TD drive. NC ST again SOD at BC 35. Final TO came by NC St on 3rd and goal, threw INT in EZ going for the tie.

WVU lost 37-20 and was –3 TOs. WVU had 27-17 FD and 421-358 (5.3-5.3 ypp) yard edges. Lots of short FGs here, in the 1st qrt WVU kicked from 19 while OK St kicked from 16 and 8 yard lines (both teams later missed a FG as well) A Skyler Howard fumble set up Ok St for an 8y TD drive and the 13-10 lead and OSU never trailed again. Later an INT set OSU up for a 9y TD drive. WVU was able to cut it to 17-27, but had to settle for 21y FG after having 1st and goal from the 7. A third key INT set OSU up at the 10 leading to a 22y Cowboy FG. OSU had three scoring “drives” under 10y each and 17 pts off those turnovers. OK St was held to 85 rush yard (2.7), WVU ran for 209 (5.1). Rudolph was an efficient 23-36 (72%) 273-3-0 and added 10 rush yards + TD. OK St did get 4 sacks, WVU just 1.

Minn had just 283y to ILLs 245, 15-17 FD yet won 40-17. A Jeff George fumble handed Min a 9y TD drive. After ILL put together a legit scoring drive to make it 7-7, ILL muffed a punt handing Min another TD on a 20y TD drive. After another legit ILL drive it was just 21-14 Gophers at the end of 3 qrt . The game got out of hand in the 4th with a Jeff George sack for saftey, a George was sacked again and fumbled handing Min a FG on a 5y drive. After ILL went 4-and-out SOD at their own 10 year line, Gophers tacked on another TD on a 10y “drive”. Min had 5 tfl, 7 qbh. ILL had 8 tfl. Leidner went 10-19-112-0-0, George went 16-34-156-TD-0INT. Min outrushed them 171 (3.6) to 89 (2.6).

Penn St – Purdue was tied 17-17 halftime. Thanks to a INT and a punt fumble PSU was able to tack on 2 easy TDs (dual 24y “drives”). The teams combined for 31 3rd qrt pts. A failed Boiler onside kick (34-24 at that time) also gave PSU great field position leading to a 3p 40y Nit TD drive. A 4th qrt Purdue INT handed PSU a 4p 28y TD drive for the final 62-24 score. Barkley had career high 207 rushing and 277 all purpose yards (PSU Soph record). The return of LB Jason Cabinda has been huge for Lions last 2 weeks.

UCF led 24-3, but Houston held them to just 29 second half yards enroute to a big comeback win scoring 28 straight. UCF also lost 4 second half TOs! Ward did throw 3 INTs and lost a fumble himself. Houston had 398-195 (4.6-3.0) total yard and 158-40 (3.2-1.2) rush yard edge. UCF converted just 14% 3rd down to 55% for Cougs.

Last edited:
WVU lost 37-20 and was –3 TOs. WVU had 27-17 FD and 421-358 (5.3-5.3 ypp) yard edges. Lots of short FGs here, in the 1st qrt WVU kicked from 19 while OK St kicked from 16 and 8 yard lines (both teams later missed a FG as well) A Skyler Howard fumble set up Ok St for an 8y TD drive and the 13-10 lead and OSU never trailed again. Later an INT set OSU up for a 9y TD drive. WVU was able to cut it to 17-27, but had to settle for 21y FG after having 1st and goal from the 7. A third key INT set OSU up at the 10 leading to a 22y Cowboy FG. OSU had three scoring “drives” under 10y each and 17 pts off those turnovers. OK St was held to 85 rush yard (2.7), WVU ran for 209 (5.1). Rudolph was an efficient 23-36 (72%) 273-3-0 and added 10 rush yards + TD. OK St did get 4 sacks, WVU just 1.

57 pts on less than 800 yards. How do these teams do it?

Minn had just 283y to ILLs 245, 15-17 FD yet won 40-17. A Jeff George fumble handed Min a 9y TD drive. After ILL put together a legit scoring drive to make it 7-7, ILL muffed a punt handing Min another TD on a 20y TD drive. After another legit ILL drive it was just 21-14 Gophers at the end of 3 qrt . The game got out of hand in the 4th with a Jeff George sack for saftey, a George was sacked again and fumbled handing Min a FG on a 5y drive. After ILL went 4-and-out SOD at their own 10 year line, Gophers tacked on another TD on a 10y “drive”. Min had 5 tfl, 7 qbh. ILL had 8 tfl. Leidner went 10-19-112-0-0, George went 16-34-156-TD-0INT. Min outrushed them 171 (3.6) to 89 (2.6).

57 pts on 528 yards. How do these teams do it?

UCF led 24-3, but Houston held them to just 29 second half yards enroute to a big comeback win scoring 28 straight. UCF also lost 4 second half TOs! Ward did throw 3 INTs and lost a fumble himself. Houston had 398-195 (4.6-3.0) total yard and 158-40 (3.2-1.2) rush yard edge. UCF converted just 14% 3rd down to 55% for Cougs.

593 yards 55 pts? How do these teams do it?

Miami - one TD off a punt fumble, another TD off short field. Outgained by 100 yards, rushed 35 times for a total of 18 yards

Just kind of doing this between watching NFL. Probably won't have much more until tonight.

Cincy ran for just 67y on 22 att while Temple gashed for 275 on 60att and Walker was 12 of 19 for 199-2-0. Gunner Kiel struggled passing for just 119y on 15 of 27 (4.4 ypa). Did have 2-0 ratio. One of those games where a one team couldn’t get anything going and it slowly turned into a blowout, Cincy was held 200y below their season O avg. One of the most amazing things I’ve seen (box score, didn’t watch much) Cincy was held to ONE positive yard of offense in the second half. ONE! Temple outgained them 228-1 in the 2nd H (penalty yardage subtracted from yards). Owls finished with 25-10 FD edge. Cincy did record 10 tfl.

Imagine this, Texas Tech wins with Defense! In a surprisingly low scoring game especially considering it went to double OT and recent history between these teams, TT D got a stop in OT2 forcing a missed FG and Raiders made their game winner. TCU had a 418-345 (4.9-3.9) yard edge, TT was –2 TOs to TCU’s 1. Kingsburry and Patterson both said that TCU came in with a different look on D which worked, but TCU’s O couldn’t muster any consistency to take advantage of what their D was doing to the Raiders. Mahomes was sacked 4x. It looked bad early as TT was INT’d and fumbled on their first two possessions, TCU scored TD, but then missed 37y FG. Frogs missed 3 FGs. Kenny Hill was benched after a 3rd qrt INT. TCU has been held to 24 pts 3 straight games.

ND outgained Miami 411-306 (6.1-4.0), but as mentioned already special teams misques by Irish kept Canes alive. NT Jarron Jones got things started off right for ND with 3 tfl and a pbu on 4 of Miami’s first 6 plays. Jones eventually had to be double teamed and the D went onto post season high 12 tfl (5 sacks). LB Nyles Morgan also had a big game in key situations. Miami opened with 3 straight 3-and-outs and gained just 97y 1st half. Irish jumped out to 10-0 lead and following an INT got a 13y TD drive and later another FG for commanding 20-0 midway 2nd qrt when that punt was touched by Irish player (not looking at ball, blocking) and Miami got a 4p 38y TD drive. But Irish O struggled after halftime with just 56 yards on their first 4 drives of the 2nd half. And Miami got things going with 170 yards on their first 3 possessions leading to 13 pts (one of those possessions started with a short field due to partially blk'd punt). 20-20 tie. A second punt wasn't fielded properly, boucning off the receivers helmet and the ball fell into the EZ where Canse fell on it for an inprobable 27-20 lead halfway through the 4th. Irish answered with a 4p 75y TD drive highlighted by a 41y Josh Adams scoring run. Key moment as ND had the ball setting up for the would-be go-ahead score and milking clock, Irish fumbled inside the 5 on a pass reception, a pile ensued, but QB Kizer got in the middle of it and came out with teh ball. ND kicked game winning FG 4 plays later.

IU outrushed Maryland 414 to 269 including 11-104 from back up QB Diamont (team leading 9.5ypc) and 2 TDs out of him. Lagow was 16-25(65%)-207-0-0 1 rush TD. Hills 22-33(67%)-248-2-1, but just –4 rushing on 12 att. IU jumped out 13-0, but Maryland eventually found a 21-16 HT lead, but IU got on top for good late 3rd qrt. It was 35-30 after a Maryland 4th qrt TD, but each team scored TDs in the final 4 minutes, Maryland’s coming with :00 on the clock for the final 6 pt margin. IU outgained the Terps with a t-4th school history 650 yards to 517 (7.8-6.2) and big plays abound for both teams. Terps were –2 TOs, the first INT thrown from midfield 1st qrt to inside the IU 10, the second TO a fumble directly led to IU TD (2p 9y drive). IU did miss a 38y FG and was SOD at the 9 following a 69y drive making them 6 of 8 in RZ, Maryland 4 of 4. Terps made 32y FG, Hoosiers 20 yarder. IU a little better on 3rd down, but Mary was 3 of 3 on 4th down (all on 2nd half scoring drives). Tegray Scales recorded 13 tackles, his 6th straight game with double digit tackles (2nd longest streak in nation). IU D got season high 4 sacks and 8 tfl (9.5 tfl avg last 2 weeks).

Baylor had 624-548 (6.5-7.6) total yard, 398-257 (5.9-5.0) rushing yard and 31-19 first down advantages and big plays were found all around. Seth Russell 50y TD run to open scoring, 40y TD pass to Armanti Foreman to tie 7-7. After BU INT, D’Onta Foreman 37y TD run. 14-7. BU ties with drive featuring 45y reception and 20y TD catch and run. 14-14. punt, punt, UT INT. punt, punt. 2nd qrt punt, punt, BU SOD (sack), 51y pass to A Foreman but fumble at BU 2 recovered by Bears, holding in EZ, safety 16-14 Texas leads. 40y pass on a 6p 66y Texas TD drive for a 23-14 lead. BU 40y pass to the 27, but penalty wipes it out, BU punt. Tex punt. Baylor goes on a 14p 81y TD drive converting 3rd down twice and 4th down once in the process. 23-21 Tex halftime. Baylor’s offensive fireworks continued, Longhorns O went MIA. Texas opened the second half with a FG, but then two 3-and-out punt drives and a 4 play punt drive all while Baylor went up and down the field scoring a TD and 2 FGs. A HUGE forced fumble by Wheeler at the Tex 9 momentarily stopped the bleeding and kept the Baylor lead from growing to double digits (Texas punted and BU did get their second FG next series). 34-26 Baylor lead. Halfway through the 4th it looked bad for Horns trailing by 8 and essentially doing nothing in the half. On 3rd and 5 Buechele connected with little used WR Joe Lorenzo for 61y post completion and Texas was back in business, scoring TD 3 plays later. 18 wheeler package 2 pt attempt failed. BU reached the Tex 29, but back-to-back sack and tfl plays...then on 3rd down Russell overthrew a wide open Kannon for an easy walk-in TD, instead Baylor was out of FG range and punted. Down by 2 the Foreman brothers came up big 21y on 4 rushes by D’Onta and a big 38y catch down the sideline by Armanti setting up the game winning 39y FG with :46 left. A nice comeback by Texas, but Baylor has to be kicking themselves for not capitalizing on opportunities to put the game away while Texas offense was stuck in mud.

Ohio St jumped out 10-0, but NW proved they came to play getting on the board 2nd qrt 16p 75y TD drive. 10-7, and after OSU went up 17-7, NW came back 12p 82y FG 17-10 and it was never more than a 1 score game from that point on. OSU had 5 straight drives end in a punt while NW tied it 17 all. After OSU went up 24-17, NW was in the RZ poised to tie the game with a 1st-and-goal at the 3, but a holding penalty pushed them back and on 4th down from the 15 NW opted for a FG with 3-1/2 minutes left. OSU gained 60y on their final drive killing the clock. The statistical box score is just as even as the game might appear in nearly every category. 23-21 FD, 208-148 (5.1-5.1 ypc) rush, 223-258 passing, 431-406 total yards (5.9-5.6 ypp), no fumbles, 1 INT led to short OSU field and made FG...1 sack apiece, 58-50% 3rd down conversions, even, even, even across the board. Only difference really was NW kicking that final FG from the RZ instead of getting a TD and tying the score.

Kendall Briles is an awful OC. Ego and stubborness personified. Not one UT DB can cover KD Cannon but Briles preferred to pound the ball. I am fully aware that Baylor rushed for almost 400 yards but when he's calling runs on 3rd and tens and 12's, then calls for pass plays when its so obvious passing downs that UT can ratchet up the pressure, then you get what you deserve. No such thing as balance yesterday. Then in final drive, he calls two QB draws when he has zero TO's left. He's truly a moron.

Georgia rushed for 21y (1.1) vs Florida (Chubb 20 net on 9 att), this on the heels of rushing for just 75y vs Vandy. UGA got an INT to set up their opening possession FG and was able to put together a good 2nd qrt TD drive. Georgia had 7 three-and-outs and 2 four-and-out of their total 13 possessions. After their 10 pt scoring outburst among the first three possessions accumulating 94y, Dawgs gained just 85y the whole rest of the game. Not that Florida was much better, 100 rush yards (2.1)(Scarlett 94y on 26 att) they had 5 three-and-out possessions, but was able to piece together some multi-play scoring drives. 231-164 total yards (ypp same 3.2) for each team. Eason 45%, Del Rio 60%. Florida is credited with an amazing 16 qbh!

One of the plays of the game was the UW quick kick punt downing the ball at the Utah 1 with just 5 minutes left in a tie game, which led to a Ute 3-and-out and UW punt return TD for the winning score. Both teams struggled with starting field position a few times making it hard to drive for scores. Utah also started drives at their own 2 following a 1st qrt punt and their own 6 following a KO and penalty in the 2nd qrt. And Washington started at the 16 or worse 4x, however the Huskies were able to drive out of it for 3 scores (2 TD and FG), while Utah punted on all 3 of their poor starting field position drives. Leading halfway through the 2nd qrt 14-0, Browning threw an INT that was ret'd to the UW 19 providing the spark the Utes needed and they scored TD 7 plays later (was only turnover of game). A 1st half closing 13p 62y drive for a 29y FG further built momentum into the locker room trailing just 10-14. Game on from there. Utes took the opening 2nd half drive 13p 80y for TD (9 runs and converted three 3rd downs). UW answered 21-17 entering the 4th and UW drove 70y for a 41y FG to make it a 7 pt game. Utah was able to tie, aided by a 15y penalty on 3rd and 11 going 70y of their own 24-24 before the eventual series of events referenced at the beginning of this recap. Browning 12-20-186-2-1, Gaskin 19-151-TD. T Williams 14-31-163-2-0, J Williams 35-172-TD. 385-376 total yards (6.9-4.7) Huskies.

Mississippi St barely outgained Samford 669-627, each team lost 3 turnovers and Miss St scored TD on Def, a MSU INT handed Samford an easy FG, a Samford INT nearly led to easy MSU TD, but Fitzgerald was SOD at the 1. It was 28-20 in the 3rd, before MSU got some breathing room at 49-26, but Samford cut it to 49-41 before MSU tacked on a late one. While everyone was waiting to watch the Auburn-Ole Miss game on SEC Network we had to endure a Samford 20p 57y drive for no points to end the game.

SMU improved to 4-4, but they did trail 21-31 in the 4th qrt before taking a 35-31 and withstanding a final Tulane drive that saw them convert 4th down twice and had a shot at the EZ on the final play (INT). 439-391 yards in favor of Mustangs, Tulane rushed for 227 (4.9) and SMU passed for 302 (50%).

Arizona St was torched for 489 passing yards 74% and 4 TD 0 INT by an Oregon team that also ran for 245 (5.3) amassing 734y to ASU's 468 (8.3-6.2 ypp). Herbert's 489 passing tied a school record and his 512 total yards set the school yardage mark. A week ago vs Cal Herbert tied the school record for 6 TD passes. Oregon's OL saw 4 freshman in the starting lineup. ASU Dillon Sterling-Cole started and went 21-37-302-TD-3INT, Ballage threw 2 of 2 for a TD out of the Sparky package while also running for 62y and catching 6-105. Both teams talk about the amount of attrition to their defensive front seven units forcing underclassmen, walkons or scout team players into action. While Az St never led and did trail 30-14 HT, but managed to make it 33-28 in the 4th qrt and later 35-40 before the Ducks tacked on 2 late TDs (the last essentially an Ore pick-six).

Off the big win at Missouri, MTSU came out and led 21-0 at FIU before the Panters decided to show up and by the 4th qrt the game was tied 28-28 and later 35-35 before MTSU prevailed on a 48y PICK-SIX with 1:22 left for the 42-35 final. That was MT's first D score of the year. FIU had 26-23, 517-466 (6.2-8.6) advantages, but was -2 turnovers. MTSU had 300y passer, 100y rusher and two 100y receivers.

Kansas was held to 170 total yards (2.6 ypp) while OU racked up 538 (7.6) with the yards divided almost exactly even between rush-pass. OU opened the scoring with a Dede Westbrook punt return TD and later had an INT ret TD as well.

Marshall falls to just 2-6 in the 24-14 loss at SMiss. Herd held SM to just 24 pts, but they did gain 474 total yards to Marshall's 226. SM had 26 FD to Mar's 11. Mar was 1 of 13 on 3rd down. Mullen fumbled from the Mar 27, also missed a FG from the 24. Marshall did have a FG blk'd. It was 24-7 with under 5m left, but Marshall would go 4p 53y including a TD pass on 4th and 1 for the cover. Onside kick failed and SM ran out the clock.

UTSA won 31-17 over NTex, although NTex had a 409-318 yardage edge. You guessed it, NT was -4 TO. Fine was 27-38-257-TD-2INT with 91y rushing (80 on 1 play). Although NT O started extremely slow with 3-and-outs on half of their 1st half possessions. NT closed the half with a fumble a the UTSA goal line, later kicked a FG from the 3, SOD at the 21 and game ended with NT at the UTSA 25.

Wyoming beat it's first top 25 team in 14 years and their first ever win vs Boise St. Nothing fluky about the win as Cowboys had 25-24 FD, 489-487 (6.1-7.7) total yard edges. Boise passed for 328 to Wyo's 274, but Cowboys outrushed the Broncos 215-159 (4.4-5.9). WYO threw an INT on a tipped pass, Boise fumbled twice, the last decided the game as it rolled out the back of the EZ for a safety to break the 28-28 tie with just 1:30 left. Boise took their opening possession 52y but McNichols fumbled at the 29. AFter exchanging punts, WYO threw an INT at BU 29. Boise went 8p 71y for the 7-0 lead, but WYO came right back 8p 74y, but was SOD at the goal line. Boise would drive off of the 1 99y for a TD and a 14-0 lead. WYO did comeback 75y drive, but so did Boise and the score was 21-7 and WYO D looked tired. WYO O was able to stay on the field a bit for a 40y FG, then the Cowboy D stepped up with an INT where the DB came in close to the Boise WR, may have made slight contact, however appeared Boise WR was already losing balance and falling when WYO DB moved in for the pick. Refs didn't throw a flag, naturally Boise thought it was PI. 2p 35y later WYO had a TD and it was 21-17 just before halftime. Boise got to the WYO 39, but WYO sacked Rypien back-to-back and they went into the locker rooms. The 3rd qrt was filled with punts before WYO went 10p 53y drive for a 39y FG. 21-20 Boise. Broncos marched right down to take a 28-20 lead and it was nervous time in Laramie. Wyoming would convert three 3rd downs, 1 and amazing catch by TE Harshman on the sideline and the last a 3rd and 13 when QB Allen rolled out and threw slightly across his body to WR Gentry who made a tough catch in the EZ. Wyo converted the 2 and we were tied. Teams exchange punts and Boise is backed up at their own 10. 1st down, Wyo NT Appleby stunted and came right at Rypien, as the QB moved his arm back to throw contact by Appleby knocked the ball loose which bounced through the EZ for the safety! Onside kick failed and WYO was able to kill the clock for one of the biggest wins in recent Wyoming history.

Although Memphis occasionally found themselves down just 1 score, it was a dominating win for Tulsa. Memphis never led and the game turned into a blowout late. All statistical edges for Tulsa, although Memphis did lose 4 TOs to Tulsa's 1. The first INT and ensuing return set Tulsa up for a 3y TD drive run. 3 of the Memphis turnovers occurred in the 4th qrt when the game was already largely decided. Tulsa ran for 362, the 5th time the Golden Hurricane ran for 300+.

Old Dominion won 31-21 at UTEP, but Miners had 24-15 FD, although ODU outgained them 393-337 (7.6-4.7). UTEP's first drive ended in INT and ODU would lose 8y but kick a FG for early 10-0 lead. UTEP then fumbled on their second possession, but ODU threw it right back. Miners finally got on the board with a 13p 87y TD drive where they converted 4th and 1 at the 45. 10-7 HT. UTEP then took the lead 13p 67y to open the 3rd qrt 14-10. But ODU would go 7p 75y for TD and UTEP SOD at the ODU 32. ODU got a 40y Lawry run for a 24-13 lead early 4th qrt. After UTEP punt, ODU got a 77y pass and TD run 1 play later. 31-13. UTEP SOD at the ODU 20 and on their final possession scored a TD with under 2 minutes left. 31-21. Onside kick fails.

UNLV led 7-3 first qrt, but surprisingly SJ St would be the better team most of the game. Trojans built a 24-7 lead as UNLV struggled to move the ball, Sneed was replaced with Palandech who was able to put together a FG drive, but SJ got a FG of their own 27-10 HT. UNLV tried mounting a comeback, outscoring SJ 14-3 in the 2nd half, but on their final drive starting at their own 4 Palandech threw an INT to end the comeback bid. The second half rally evened the stats. 24-20 FD, 424-402 (5.2-5.7) SJ ST edges.

New Mexico jumped out 14-0 at Hawaii, but had to withstand a Warrior comeback as UH would tie it 14 all and later 21 all. The winning score resulted from a UH RB fumble that NM ret'd 46 for a TD mid 4th qrt and eventual 28-21 win. UH again tried to come back mounting a 13p 46y drive where they converted two 4th downs getting down to the 7, but on a third 4th down, UH was stuffed on 4th and 1. UH had timeouts, but couldn't get the ball back and NM killed the clock. 321-298 NM yard advantage. Hawaii would convert just 2 of 13 3rd down, NM went 42%.

I bet you were on the under in this one:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400548362

I know I was -- big.

55 points on 402 yards. That is a record of some sort.

Yep. There was a kickoff return TD, a punt return TD, a fumble recovery TD, and an interception return TD in the game....all by Missouri. That has to be one of the few times, if not the only time, that feat has ever been accomplished. They also scored a rushing TD, but no passing TD.

I wonder if any team has ever scored a TD all 6 ways in the same game...rushing, passing, KO return, punt return, fumble return, interception return. You'd have to imagine it hasn't happened, but it'd be interesting to know if it has.

Anyone know why Tech / Texas is off the board? I think Mahomes is fine (though his dad got arrested at the game on Saturday for PI).

Mahomes is questionable. Got lit up on the last series before the game winning field goal and left the field wobbly. Possibly concussed I hear.

And on Kendall Briles....That was astonishingly bad / weird play calling at the end of the Texas game.

Ole Miss was down 4 when one of their WR dropped a pass that he would have walked into the end zone had he caught it. Kelly threw an INT the next play that was returned 40 some yards to set up the TD that gave AU the 11 point margin. There was no guarantee that Ole Miss would have held on had they scored that TD, but they probably would have covered. Both defenses looked pretty poor for most of the game. Kelly had just under 300 yards passing at halftime. Ole Miss' tackling was not good as most of AU's running yards came between the tackles

Wyoming beat it's first top 25 team in 14 years and their first ever win vs Boise St. Nothing fluky about the win as Cowboys had 25-24 FD, 489-487 (6.1-7.7) total yard edges. Boise passed for 328 to Wyo's 274, but Cowboys outrushed the Broncos 215-159 (4.4-5.9). WYO threw an INT on a tipped pass, Boise fumbled twice, the last decided the game as it rolled out the back of the EZ for a safety to break the 28-28 tie with just 1:30 left. Boise took their opening possession 52y but McNichols fumbled at the 29. AFter exchanging punts, WYO threw an INT at BU 29. Boise went 8p 71y for the 7-0 lead, but WYO came right back 8p 74y, but was SOD at the goal line. Boise would drive off of the 1 99y for a TD and a 14-0 lead. WYO did comeback 75y drive, but so did Boise and the score was 21-7 and WYO D looked tired. WYO O was able to stay on the field a bit for a 40y FG, then the Cowboy D stepped up with an INT where the DB came in close to the Boise WR, may have made slight contact, however appeared Boise WR was already losing balance and falling when WYO DB moved in for the pick. Refs didn't throw a flag, naturally Boise thought it was PI. 2p 35y later WYO had a TD and it was 21-17 just before halftime. Boise got to the WYO 39, but WYO sacked Rypien back-to-back and they went into the locker rooms. The 3rd qrt was filled with punts before WYO went 10p 53y drive for a 39y FG. 21-20 Boise. Broncos marched right down to take a 28-20 lead and it was nervous time in Laramie. Wyoming would convert three 3rd downs, 1 and amazing catch by TE Harshman on the sideline and the last a 3rd and 13 when QB Allen rolled out and threw slightly across his body to WR Gentry who made a tough catch in the EZ. Wyo converted the 2 and we were tied. Teams exchange punts and Boise is backed up at their own 10. 1st down, Wyo NT Appleby stunted and came right at Rypien, as the QB moved his arm back to throw contact by Appleby knocked the ball loose which bounced through the EZ for the safety! Onside kick failed and WYO was able to kill the clock for one of the biggest wins in recent Wyoming history.

I was at this game....watching from field level end zone where the safety happened. Probably one of the best games I've ever seen in person and plenty of fun in Laramie afterwards

I was at this game....watching from field level end zone where the safety happened. Probably one of the best games I've ever seen in person and plenty of fun in Laramie afterwards

:cheers3:

Chelseafan, you are right on the money on your assessment of the play calling in the Baylor game, but I'm not sure it is Briles. I have a hunch Grobe is forcing some of those idiotic calls.

Running QB draws on that last possession is so crazy I don't think Briles called them because it is the exact opposite of what he has called since he became OC. but it fits Grobe's history of play calling.

In any case, the play calling was absurd in that game. Baylor wide receivers would have mauled Texas if they would have used them.

For betting purposes, Baylor can no longer be considered a high powered offense and my guess it is Grobe who has changed things.

Back