Week 9 Game-by-Game Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
TNF: 49ers

One team is still fighting, the other team has thrown its towel on the season. After trading away superstar Khalil Mack before the season, Oakland recently dealt away former first-round draft pick Amari Cooper. The Raiders seem more interested in collecting first-round draft picks than competing. Despite not being dogged by more than 5.5 points, they haven’t come close to winning any of their past three games. They lost by two touchdowns at home to Indianapolis, by 24 points to Seattle, and by 26 to the Chargers.

Oakland's last loss, at home to Indy, is really concerning. The Colts were a 2-5 team that hadn’t surrendered fewer than 30 points in a game since September. David Carr is not putting up the numbers that he used to, failing to reach 270 yards three times in a row. The rush attack ranks towards the bottom. The 49ers impressed in their last primetime performance when they nearly upset Green Bay on October 15. This is another bottom-10 pass defense that C.J. Beathard can succeed against. Matt Breida and Alfred Morris will also bounce back against Oakland’s awful defensive line.

SNF: Packers

At 3-3-1 and following a bitter defeat, the Packers really need a win. Aaron Rodgers will be at his best. He’s been hampered by injuries to his receiving corps, but his receivers are finally healthy. The most important connection is the one to Davante Adams, whom he’s targeted 30 times more than any other receiver. Even though the Patriots rank seventh in opposing passer rating, that ranking is superficial. They got shredded by the only legitimate passing attack that they faced when KC put up 40 points on them. Every other pass attack that they have faced ranks 14th or lower in passing yards per game. Green Bay ranks fifth in the category, one spot behind KC. With one exception, they haven’t had to face a top-level receiver since Week 1 because Hilton was injured when they faced the Colts and Parker was injured when they faced Miami. The exception came in Week 1, when Houston's DeAndre Hopkins caught eight of 11 targets despite a poor day from his quarterback.

Let Brady score as much as he wants against Green Bay’s inconsistent defense, Rodgers will keep up and make this a competitive game.

49ERS: Oakland seems to have given up on their season. They’ve been non-competitive for the past three weeks. The 49ers want to win. Beathard will have another strong primetime performance.

BEARS: Just don’t bet on Buffalo. Ever. The Bills have scored 11 points in the past two games, 37 in the past five games. They don’t have a quarterback or even an offense and they commit turnovers.

CHIEFS: One team (Chiefs) can score, the other (Browns) cannot. The Chiefs’ top-ranked offense will procure a lead, forcing Cleveland to pass. The Browns rank 27th in sack percentage allowed. KC has a strong pass rush.

JETS: Darnold has succeeded against the lower-ranked pass attacks that he’s faced. Miami ranks 24th in opposing passer rating. The Fins have been non-competitive in their last two games with Osweiler.

LIONS: The only teams that Minny has beaten by at least five points are the 49ers, Jets, and Cardinals. Detroit has a balanced attack led by Kerryon Johnson and many talented receivers. They’ll stay close.

REDSKINS: Matt Ryan isn’t the same on the road, where he’s had his worst games in terms of QB rating and yards and where the Falcons haven’t covered in two tries. Washington has won its last three home games.

PANTHERS: Fading the Bucs with career back-up Ryan Fitzpatrick starting for them. Carolina averages the second-most rush yards per game and will run over a mediocre run defense with injuries on the d-line.

RAVENS: Baltimore struggles to run, but will be able to pass against Pitt team that ranks 23rd in opposing QB rating. Baltimore’s vaunted, top-ranked defense, will bounce back in rivalry game at home.

TEXANS: I see both teams struggling to score—Denver against Houston’s top-ranked run defense and Houston against Denver’s high-quality secondary. In a tight, low-scoring game, i’ll take the points.

SEAHAWKS: Seattle’s defense is good again. It’s allowed fewer than 20 points in four of its last five games. If Gordon remains injured, L.A. will really struggle to score. Its run defense is vulnerable.

RAMS: The Saints are now favored. They're overrated at home, where they’re 2-4 L6 ATS and 1-2 ATS this year with the one cover coming in Brees’ record clinching night. The Rams will light them up.

PACKERS: I’ll take seven points with Rodgers all day. New England’s pass defense hasn’t passed a difficult test and Rodgers will give them one. Not enough separates these two teams to justify the spread.

TITANS: The Titans have one of the better run defenses and will improve with the health of its linebackers—first Woodyard and hopefully also Morgan and Compton. They’ll limit Zeke. Dallas won’t score enough.

Disagree w rams. I thought it was the Sunday night gm which I would have loved but still a tough environment for young rams. Think they take their 1st loss in this one, those ats numbers meaningless as all they gotta do is win here (assuming their home w/l record is excellent?).

I like lions quite a bit, really like that under as well. Can’t see this game being played that high w lions new found affection for running the ball. At some point minny outta stop letting cousins throw it 40+ times a game and look to run a little more themsrlves. Not very zimmer like the way they been playing.

those ats numbers meaningless as all they gotta do is win here

I dont think thats a logical point. ats records already account for size of spread no matter how big or small

those ats numbers meaningless as all they gotta do is win here

I dont think thats a logical point. ats records already account for size of spread no matter how big or small

Incredibly logical. Of course it matters. Why would ats numbers be more important than w/l in a game the spread virtually a pick??

Hard to write anything meaninful in 200 characters (35ish words) lol

I hear ya.

Far as rams go nothing against them, I think they slightly better than saints overall but I think saints defense trending in right direction, in minny they brought a bunch of pressure and would think we be seeing more and more of that w another corner that can hold his own, I think that will lead to them forcing a lot of turnovers down the road. Should be Toughest environment lot of these rams have played in to date. Kumara gonna be a matchup nightmare for rams linebackers imo.

Incredibly logical. Of course it matters. Why would ats numbers be more important than w/l in a game the spread virtually a pick??

Cause it still the exact same thing that ats results measure! Team performance relative to spread

I hear ya.

Far as rams go nothing against them, I think they slightly better than saints overall but I think saints defense trending in right direction, in minny they brought a bunch of pressure and would think we be seeing more and more of that w another corner that can hold his own, I think that will lead to them forcing a lot of turnovers down the road. Should be Toughest environment lot of these rams have played in to date. Kumara gonna be a matchup nightmare for rams linebackers imo.

Good points homie and not saying you‘re dead wrong by any means maybe im dead wrong but i also think this Rams O be light years ahead of that Vikes O

Good points homie and not saying you‘re dead wrong by any means maybe im dead wrong but i also think this Rams O be light years ahead of that Vikes O

Right/wrong, all relative. Could go either way, prob come down to a few plays. . Rams offense def better than Vikings no doubt. Not arguing that. I think rams still the better team, just don’t think they going undefeated, flirted w losses at Seattle and honestly should/would have lost last week if Montgomery wasn’t a chode. Think we can agree saints better than both those teams.

Right/wrong, all relative. Could go either way, prob come down to a few plays. . Rams offense def better than Vikings no doubt. Not arguing that. I think rams still the better team, just don’t think they going undefeated, flirted w losses at Seattle and honestly should/would have lost last week if Montgomery wasn’t a chode. Think we can agree saints better than both those teams.

Seahawks D been surprisingly good considering all the turnover

Feels weird af talking football with you lol

Cause it still the exact same thing that ats results measure! Team performance relative to spread

Saints spreads often inflated at home, this week all they gotta do is win so means nothing to me that they don’t cover inflated spreads. this week they getting a team that getting more love than them so not the case.

I had this game circled as Rams first loss. Based upon what I saw from both teams last week I’m feeling even more confident about that now. Rams defense can be had - Sea, Minny and GB have shown that and I expect NO to be able to score a bunch. NO D played great this week and never allowed Minny to get any momentum.

I had this game circled as Rams first loss. Based upon what I saw from both teams last week I’m feeling even more confident about that now. Rams defense can be had - Sea, Minny and GB have shown that and I expect NO to be able to score a bunch. NO D played great this week and never allowed Minny to get any momentum.

If only it was at night I’d be so huge on saints. As is I still played them (grabbed right off jump cause new line could only go one way) but man, in prime time that place a madhouse!!

Not like saints are some lock or anything. It prob be a really good game and decided by a few plays. Just remember before falling in love w rams that 2 of those big plays will probably be refs handing brees bs 1st downs like they always do!! Lol

Steelers pass defense been much better since last game vs ravens, as has their rushing attack. This a tough one cause I like ravens quite a bit and they really need a W as they been faltering of late. At same time I think the steeler team coming to Balty on Sunday light years better than the one ravens whipped up on a month ago. General rule for me in this series is never lay a fg or more since majority of these games come down to a few plays. No straight for me here, think I’m gonna be on the under and considering teasing Steelers up.

How much you really think dallas will have to score to cover the number? I can’t see titans hitting 20 vs boys d, prob more like 14-17. That still does leave boys having to score somewhere between 21-27 to cover, doable if the defense helps by setting up some short fields or just goes ahead and scores! No clue wtf I’ll do here but im a huge Titans/marriota hater and just can’t see backing them vs a very good defense.

I wonder if people that continue to call Derek, David...Is it trying to be funny or you just keep making the same mistake?

How much you really think dallas will have to score to cover the number? I can’t see titans hitting 20 vs boys d, prob more like 14-17. That still does leave boys having to score somewhere between 21-27 to cover, doable if the defense helps by setting up some short fields or just goes ahead and scores! No clue wtf I’ll do here but im a huge Titans/marriota hater and just can’t see backing them vs a very good defense.

I rather proceeded from the thought that Dallas would struggle to score

I rather proceeded from the thought that Dallas would struggle to score

Understandable, I just think Addition of cooper could potentially do wonders and came at right time w bye so had plenty of time to practice w them. If you really think dallas gonna struggle to break 20 it seems to me the under be a lock.

They both had crappy O-Lines, That's for sure!

The older one for sure, that poor guy never had a chance/took a serious beating back when you were still allowed to hit the qb.. not so sure I agree w one playing now having a crappy oline, there were few years that raider line was really good, dunno wtf has happened since but I still don’t see him getting killed like his brother did!!

Back