Week 9 B1G

detroit187

Pretty much a regular
Excuse me for starting as it seems no one wants to start it yet.....

Biggest week of the year in conference......

Noon Wisky @ OSU
3:30 PSU @ MSU
7:30 NS @ M

The rest.....afternoon delights
Stanley @ NW
Illini @ PU
Hoosier Daddy? @ Corn
Twerps @ Gophers
and wait for it......
Liberty @ Rutgers

Thoughts:
Put up or shut up for M......and now the rumors of Jimmy reps looking for NFL seem to have substance (thats fine, give me a Matt Campbell or Ruhle).....can they build off 2nd half momentum or fold??

Will PSU have typical let down after big game, last two years lost to Sparty after title bout heartbreak losses vs OSU, is it different because they beat M? Got pretty beat up and may have blown a load, Sparty off bye....I love Sparty here +7, 6.5 now, hook bought.
OSU chance to cement themselves as 1A or 1B with dominating peformance, expect Wisky to come out fired up off loss, doubt it matters. How could one back Wisky and step in front of the $ train with an extra day of rest and preparation (not like they had to prep for NW)
Minny seems always ripe for a loss now but I sold Locksley last month forever. McFarland seems like he'll be back this week.
IU playing good ball, cmon Corn, you gotta get this one tho. Over worth a look?

I kicked it off, the return is yours.......

Last edited:
Thanks for starting ... Hunt behind the ball ;). As far as the yearly rumor that's "Football Scoop" who are horrific hacks looking for clicks. They make Chat Sports seem credible. Fwiw, his people should do that for negotiations --standard procedure.

I gotta run for 3 hours or so but I have lots of thoughts from last weekend into this weekend. Yes, MSU wins outright IMO.

Thanks for starting ... Hunt behind the ball ;). As far as the yearly rumor that's "Football Scoop" who are horrific hacks looking for clicks. They make Chat Sports seem credible. Fwiw, his people should do that for negotiations --standard procedure.

Always thought they seemed decent tbh. Perhaps not, truthfully I dont really care. Wouldnt surprise me at all if he left.

Always thought they seemed decent tbh. Perhaps not, truthfully I dont really care. Wouldnt surprise me at all if he left.
I'm just going off their past, which is pretty bad... I'm sure they hit some but this is pure clickbait. Nothing in CFB generates more clicks.

Just like Columbus routinely is the market with the highest or 2nd highest ratings for UM games. For an irrelevant program, they sure generate interest.

Is Harbaugh there as long as he wants to be?
Yes but how long does he want to be? Next years team isn’t supposed to be any better. Who knows anything really? What I do know is M is a brand with $$. We’ll be fine. If PSU can overcome sanction years no reason M can’t overcome Jimmy jumping ship. And hell, maybe even benefit.

Exactly and with his statement today it was good to see him get out in front of this for once.

Last year, after Dax flipped to Alabama he had to come out and say it (thankfully Dax flipped back). It is the same group of people from a 'certain' school that start this every year. Like I said to a few people yesterday, I was shocked it took this long this year. The timing was good putting it out this week between playing top 10 teams...

Anyways, now that this part of the discussion is over...I'll start with my portion of the thread...back in 30.

Quick recap of last week:

Oh Wisconsin, why would you do that? I have exclaimed enough around here that they were stubborn with the run and way too conservative. Coan played really well and was throwing great but they wouldn't totally open it up. The 3rd and 9 runs in opponent territory and the running it 3 straight times from the 5 yard line are inexcusable. They thought they could do just enough to win and it bit them in the ass. This is STILL a very good team.. don't put them to bed just yet.

I watched Minnesota-Rutgers for a bit to get a feel for Minnesota. Well, they also can be overly conservative but I learned why watching the QB throw a bit. Morgan feels like a turnover waiting to happen. They are a solid bunch overall but Wisconsin will win that game easily and they should suffer another loss or so coming in.

Man, I feel for Penix, getting hurt all the time. I didn't watch as much of this as I wanted to so I do not have a lot to offer.

Ohio State steamrolled. The only thing that felt weird early was that NW was able to run a bit. Otherwise, it was a business game and that is that.

Purdue +18 was a gift. I think they are slowly improving and should sneak up on someone here down the stretch.

Michigan and Penn State ended up being a very good game. The officiating was criminal. That isn't a homer thing...any rationale human can see that. I don't even care about the offensive P.I. on the first TD...the thing is I think I am numb to this garbage now so it really didn't totally set in till after. The Nico Collins bomb with the 'ghost' offensive P.I. is the worst one though since a few plays later Shea threw that pick and PSU scored right after. That is a 10-14 point swing right there. There is more, but lets talk about the game....

The slow starts kill Michigan on the road. This was mostly on Don Brown though. He is a damn good coordinator but many times he has to adjust after an offense has exposed them early. He did, and other than the safeties on freaking Hamler (as I predicted last week) he did a great job. Michigan dominated the stats but PSU made 3-4 huge plays. The Bell drop sucked because PSU wasn't winning that game after that but all in all that was the most encouraging UM loss in a long time. The offense is coming around, as expected and I'll give Shea credit for his best game in a long time. He fought through his early skittishness all the way through the eye gouge.

This Week:

Wisconsin and Ohio State early on will still be a good game. Can the Badgers slow down the Bucks in the 2Q? They average almost 23 ppg in that quarter. I do think Wisconsin will give them a good game but OSU pulls away in 2h.

Iowa and Northwestern feels like just one of the most boring games ever. I think the Cats are a live dog here though.

Illinois and Papa Smurf think they can win out. They have some ill feelings from last years Purdue game. The Boilers are playing very well right now. This could be a very fun, under the radar game.

Rutgers hosts Liberty. This game is fascinating. Liberty is getting paid to go beat Rutgers. I love it and expect them to do as much.

Maryland is basically out of bowl contention when you look at their schedule. Minnesota is a tough out at home and should be able to win comfortably but this line is pretty high. No way I am laying that with the Gophers.

Indiana heads into Lincoln as a slight favorite. We need to check injuries on both sides but IU should be able to control the line of scrimmage on offense and possess the ball a lot. This is a tough road game for them, but this would be huge for them to win 2 straight road games in a row in conference. Are they ready for it?

MSU/PSU -- Sparty is the play, imo -- much more to come later on this

UM/ND -- this should be a fun one -- also much more to come later

Curious as to the "certain" school that does this every year with JH?
Well, I'll give you three schools to choose from but the one with the most alumni in the media is a pretty good guess. The weird part is, these schools all love that JH is at UM because he is no threat so it is quite the backwards thinking, right?

I figured you were eluding that Ohio State has something to do with it. Hilarious to me, but not surprising that you believe that stuff.

Reactions: RMR
I figured you were eluding that Ohio State has something to do with it. Hilarious to me, but not surprising that you believe that stuff.
It's not a belief. It was already documented that Cris Carter was doing some of it. Again, your an Ohio State guy so I understand the response. It happens every year and it's a recruiting tactic. This isn't the only place it happens. It is just magnified because UM/JH generate clicks more than any school in country which is absurd for how irrelevant they are. It cracks me up.

As far as this year, who knows. It's a school with "state" in it which is why I named 3 schools. It could as well be PSU because there are some interesting recruiting battles there right now. Anyways, let's get back to talking about this week. TraderJoe was nice enough to start a thread devoted to Michigan and JH. We can keep the fun in there.

Okay, lets talk some Sparty Football!

As I have said before, this is prolly Mikes last season as coach. It makes no sense for him to come back to a team that loses a lot to graduation, has a horrible class coming in and not a lot in reserve in reality(plus unless MSU gets smart and settles the deposition in January is going to bury him). Then, the schedule does no favors. This guys ego won't let him do that. I would assume he wanted a special year obviously with winning the Super Bowl. Well, the special year isn't happening but the SB is still out there in November.

Hey, they lost the last two games to the #1 team in my mind and a top 10 team as well. There is no shame. They fought their butts off in Columbus but seemed to quit in Madison in the 2h. This is the alarming part... that is something you do not expect from Dantonio teams. Have they given up on the season? I don't think so...

The bye week was huge I would think to get them back mentally. If they win this one and steal the game at UM this can still be a very good season with a solid bowl send-off. The run defense is STILL very good. The pass defense is what it is. I think they will get burnt by Hamler a few times as well but I do not think Clifford will be able to attack consistently like and Indiana did.

This series is all MSU lately except for during the 3-9 year.

In 2015, they blew out PSU and ran up the score.

in 2016, PSU crushed them and ran up the score.

In 2017, that was the Saquon team that came in off the devastating loss in C-Bus. This was the 3 hour delay game. Sparty won a tight one.

In 2018, PSU was off another heart-breaker to OSU but had a week off. Michigan State had that blah offense but Lewerke made plays down the stretch for a come from behind win.

Sparty also won in 2014 and 2010 (3 year break when conference was messing with divisions).

Michigan State showed they have some offense a few times this year. The Ohio State game was telling to me and I know they can at least score a little bit. I am trusting that Mikey has some tricks up his sleeve too. Take the points for what should be a tight one for The Land Grant Trophy

MSU 23-20

Fwiw, Penn State is a good team but they are not a #6 team in my book now. I got to see them vs a few quality opponents and they are good but I would have Wisky rated higher than them. I say they are around 9-12 in the country. They are trending upward though from last year.

Iowa - NW - Typical game where there will be points no one sees coming imo. Both defenses are good but both are overrated a little too. don't think they reached 30 in their last two meetings though, so maybe they understand eachother really well. I like the over with every ounce of my being.

Illy - Purdue - Plummer is a pleasant surprise for Purdue. Coan, Glass, and Martinez were able to toss it around so why not Purdue here? Illy and Purdue both in the top 30 as far as pace goes imo so there should be plays ... Purdue rushing D has given up a TD in every game and multiple in several. TCU ran for over 300 ... Seems like both offenses should have success which should keep offense in need of scoring. I like the over here.

Wisconsin - Ohio State - Wisconsin is very consistent in the way they play but not in their success .. can run it on Michigan and Michigan State but cannot run it on Illinois or NW. They have to score this game so won't be surprised if they open it up a little but they are gonna try their bread and butter first. I think they would find the running a little easier if they threw on earlier downs and made people pay for stacking the box on first down. Obviously badger defense is really good but they haven't faced a well functioning offense yet. I mean, Michigan is probably the best offense they have played against so it is just hard to judge how they will do here. I think we know what Ohio State is. Tough game to figure out. I will leave it to the professionals.

Terps Minnesota - Offenses are both a little above average at this point. Both teams have similar rush defenses which are slightly above average. Big differences statistically between Minny and Terp pass defenses and gophers have been really good but at the same time it is skewed from playing Ga southern option and Rutgers post meltdown. Rushing offenses again slightly above average for both and of similar levels, even if style is very different. Both pass offenses well below average, though Minny has a reasonable excuse of being in the lead a lot. Still, neither team rates to torch the other in the pass game. I dunno .. seems Minny looks slightly better, have better chemistry and appear better coached but these teams are pretty close to eachother in actual talent/ability/gameplay ... throw in Terps have 3 wins and michigan, at TOSU, vs Nebraska, and @ Michigan State remaining and you get the feeling this is an elimination game for them ... should pull out all the stops. Terps seem the play and maybe win outright.

Liberty Rutgers - Have to look at this some more ... I am sort of zoned out on Rutgers right now. But my initial take is that there is only a quarter yard or so difference between the two rush defenses and the schedules are very different. I think Rutgers defense is a little under rated right now but their offense gives them no chance to compete against competition. Knights might be able to run here?? I dunno ... Liberty is on a roll right now and Rutgers looks like quitters who quit quitting so they could quit again because they enjoy it so much. Coach never appears to even call plays to try and score. Will liberty get enough big plays to cover the number or will Rutgers defense make plays and get some actual production from their forced run game to win outright? Beats me ... there is absolutely a good play in this game. Almost has to be but I have no idea what that side or total might be that is good.

Indiana - Nebraska - Too tough for me. And I throw up in my mouth every time I think about how much money I have lost backing Nebraska the last five years. I can make a case for everything here which means the line and total are probably good.

ND - Mich - I am backing the defenses in the game but not without concern at current numbers. Michigan appeared to make strides last week on offense, both teams are actually above average in pace of play (which you wouldn't expect) and both offenses are capable of giving opponents turnovers that result in points. Game will be competitive too, most likely. With that said, both run defenses are really good and I will pay to see Book or Patterson light me up. overtime will likely loom at all times as a concern too. Book in big games, against good defenses, doesn't inspire me to think ND goes on the road and does a ton here. Instinct says Michigan probably wins this game but no real interest in backing them against the domers. Under the best option imo but not without concerns as I could see a 27-27 game show up as well.

It's not a belief. It was already documented that Cris Carter was doing some of it. Again, your an Ohio State guy so I understand the response. It happens every year and it's a recruiting tactic. This isn't the only place it happens. It is just magnified because UM/JH generate clicks more than any school in country which is absurd for how irrelevant they are. It cracks me up.
They get a lotta run. And it’s because of him for better or worse right or wrong

As far as this year, who knows. It's a school with "state" in it which is why I named 3 schools. It could as well be PSU because there are some interesting recruiting battles there right now. Anyways, let's get back to talking about this week. TraderJoe was nice enough to start a thread devoted to Michigan and JH. We can keep the fun in there.
Same school that did this to Franklin (USC) last year

Obviously it's looking like periods of rain in A2 as well. That helps ND in my opinion.

Dang, first time I’ve been able to get on this week. I’ve had the spinning wheel of death. Weird.

BAR, come on man. The whole negative recruiting thing means you aren’t recruiting. Kinda like the schools that want to expand the playoffs, they’re schools that can’t get to the playoffs. There is no such thing as negative recruiting. I’ve been following recruiting since 2002-03. I’ve never heard Cris Carters name mentioned with JH to the nfl. He’s been a player in osu landing a couple St Thomas kids. But never heard that. Who knows. But don’t care tbh. Coaches say stuff about Larry Johnson every year.

JH isn’t getting fired. He could shake his wiener at the clerk at the piggly wiggly and he’s not getting fired. Nor should he, outside of the whole wiener scenario. He’s winning 73%ish of his games. More than Bo. More than Carr. But barely more than RichRod. :)

Is he elite in college? No. Is he good? Yeah. He’s a 8-10 win coach/yr, not elite. Those who say he’s feeling the heat are just extrapolating JHs seasons to similar coaching situations (Richt, Cooper, Miles...kinda). Those who don’t win big, but they do win.

Mich fans find it funny that JH generates clicks, gets blasted by the media, etc, but he does for the way he entered mich. Truly it was pathetic. He went after cfb like he owned it. He skirted recruiting rules that would make Trooper Taylor giggle. He hired coaches of hs teams that had an elite player. Hired family members. Ridiculous vacation packages, I mean spring practices and educational opportunities. You imagine if urban meyer popped up and said osu is having spring practice in Europe? Pleeaasse

You come in that brash. Come in that arrogant. You better expect blow back. Especially when you don’t win big. Hence, he’s kept his mouth shut the last two years and now mich fans think he’s lost his edge. No, he’s lost his willingness to get lambasted in the media because he’s not “it.”

Be back with some game talk. Tough week to find an edge this week. Leaning osu nd msu as of now.

Looks like serious rain falling Saturday, late afternoon into entire evening. Sparty will love it, projects to start at kickoff if game. Should only help green.

Fwiw, Penn State is a good team but they are not a #6 team in my book now. I got to see them vs a few quality opponents and they are good but I would have Wisky rated higher than them. I say they are around 9-12 in the country. They are trending upward though from last year.

I think Wisky is better too, yet if they played in Indy on a neutral I’d bet PSU all day. This week will tell us more about PSU than last week. And this week will tell us a ton about M. Can’t wait!

I think Wisky is better too, yet if they played in Indy on a neutral I’d bet PSU all day. This week will tell us more about PSU than last week. And this week will tell us a ton about M. Can’t wait!
agreed.... on all counts....

Dang, first time I’ve been able to get on this week. I’ve had the spinning wheel of death. Weird.

BAR, come on man. The whole negative recruiting thing means you aren’t recruiting. Kinda like the schools that want to expand the playoffs, they’re schools that can’t get to the playoffs. There is no such thing as negative recruiting. I’ve been following recruiting since 2002-03. I’ve never heard Cris Carters name mentioned with JH to the nfl. He’s been a player in osu landing a couple St Thomas kids. But never heard that. Who knows. But don’t care tbh. Coaches say stuff about Larry Johnson every year.

JH isn’t getting fired. He could shake his wiener at the clerk at the piggly wiggly and he’s not getting fired. Nor should he, outside of the whole wiener scenario. He’s winning 73%ish of his games. More than Bo. More than Carr. But barely more than RichRod. :)

Is he elite in college? No. Is he good? Yeah. He’s a 8-10 win coach/yr, not elite. Those who say he’s feeling the heat are just extrapolating JHs seasons to similar coaching situations (Richt, Cooper, Miles...kinda). Those who don’t win big, but they do win.

Mich fans find it funny that JH generates clicks, gets blasted by the media, etc, but he does for the way he entered mich. Truly it was pathetic. He went after cfb like he owned it. He skirted recruiting rules that would make Trooper Taylor giggle. He hired coaches of hs teams that had an elite player. Hired family members. Ridiculous vacation packages, I mean spring practices and educational opportunities. You imagine if urban meyer popped up and said osu is having spring practice in Europe? Pleeaasse

You come in that brash. Come in that arrogant. You better expect blow back. Especially when you don’t win big. Hence, he’s kept his mouth shut the last two years and now mich fans think he’s lost his edge. No, he’s lost his willingness to get lambasted in the media because he’s not “it.”

Be back with some game talk. Tough week to find an edge this week. Leaning osu nd msu as of now.
Trying to figure out how he is like Miles? They both went to Michigan?

This is going to be a complete washout tomorrow night it looks like in A2. That is why I have been holding off on writing this up. I'd say this is advantage ND to be honest. This will be the 3rd absolute drenching night game in The Big House the last two years. It's getting kind of old. Thank goodness I didn't go as planned.

I did take the U52 for now in the event it's a complete mess. Regular rain doesn't make me look at unders but massive rain with basically running clock definitely does. I'll play around with this as needed.

I wanted to make osu my biggest play/one of the biggest plays so far prior to wisky pooping themselves vs Illinois. Thought the line would be osu -8-10. Then opened at -14 and thought I’d make it a normal. Now you have the weather. Wisky couldn’t be happier. They aren’t passing the ball on osu. Are not keeping up with osu’s athletes on a consistent basis. Now the weather gives them a shot. They are going to ride Taylor all day. 30+ carries. They won’t put Coan in that position again. We’re headed into a bye so no worry about looking ahead, if we even would be wisky. There’s not supposed to be much wind, but Ohio Stadium always is breezy. I’m on osu -14. Won’t jump until Day gives me reason. Don’t think there’s much value at -14, but I’m riding osu until otherwise burned.

Im taking msu +6. This is set up for a letdown for psu. Normally Dantonio would be a given here but def not now. This is a total fade on psu.

Forgot to add ND too. Think 2 quarters of ok play by mich has people jumping the gun here. They still only scored 14 pts in the half vs a D that was left out to hang. ND had a bye and they play no one else down the stretch. I had ND -2. I was aghast at mich -4. Obviously I did t get ND +4.

Last edited:
Reactions: RMR
Everybody on Sparty it seems. Hate public dogs, but can’t resist myself. If PSU blows them away, they are for real and will go 11-1

So much weather, other than under in A2 I haven't bet anything. I definitely think more dogs then favs win today in conference...

Under 43 in EL as well..

Will toy with both totals.

Just taking positions.
Over 40.5

I just do not like it.

Clifford VERY impressive passing in the rain

Sparty run defense is done well.

Feels like a 35-14 kinda game. hopefully 35-7

Is there anybody better than Michigan since the 2nd half of PSU game besides OSU lol

We catch that pass, we are in playoff discussion again with cake walk to OSU. Sparty all kind of sucks, absolutely terrible squad, Mark should resign immediately. We’ll get into it more, but PSU was impressive and I’m done betting against them, at least until OSU.

Is there anybody better than Michigan since the 2nd half of PSU game besides OSU lol

We catch that pass, we are in playoff discussion again with cake walk to OSU. Sparty all kind of sucks, absolutely terrible squad, Mark should resign immediately. We’ll get into it more, but PSU was impressive and I’m done betting against them, at least until OSU.
"Notre Dame is pretty overrated"

Back