Week 8 What Have We Learned?

It's fun seeing Schiano at Rutgers again.

Clemson was only beating Syracuse by 6 at one point in the 2nd H. In Dabo's words "Syracuse is scrappy" ~ sometimes

Coastal Carolina is just good (did you see that locker room celebration? damn - kids love that kind of shit, live it up)

Depending on your line, Ohio State was covering for a grand total of 18 seconds today

UTEP had to backdoor twice late 4th quarter to get the cover

I forgot how much I like betting on Army (first time I did this season)

Both Memphis and UCF slept walked for a good part of their games today

I have no idea if this is the real potential for Notre Dame or not, Pitt...wow, Pitt

So sad for Jaylen Waddle

Didn't see any of VT - WF, how the hell that happen?

Navy missed a late 4th qrt FG that could've got them under the number

Indiana almost found a way to totally blow it, in fact, they did totally blow it for a little bit there, before they unblew it

Purdue, no hotshot play calling head coach, no former Frosh AA WR, no problem

Thought Texas was going to blow their cover there for a minute

Tough break for Rice with that never in a million years quadruple doink missed OT FG, but I believe Rice is now 1-4 straight up when favored the last 2 years

WKU nearly lost to Chattanooga

South Carolina - LSU was a scoring explosion, did not see that coming

Boise was blowing out Utah St, Utah St got back in it, then Boise proceeded to blow them out again

Wyoming - Nevada - Nevada dominated first half, didn't capitalize with all their points, Wyoming dominated the 2nd H and nearly won

San Diego State - UNLV - San Diego St dominated the first half, didn't capitalize with all their points, UNLV dominated 3rd Q and early 4th nearly getting back to the number which was absolutely crazy if you watched any of that game. UNLV had 25 yards 1st H. SD St had 10 yards 3rd Q on three 3-and-outs

San Jose State is kind of a fun team to like

So Northwestern can score points now

SEC DD favs week 1 for them were 1-4 ATS, Big Ten DD favs week 1 for them were 3-1 ATS

Michigan and Jim Harbaugh is absolutely going to destroy Michigan State this week

Miami keeps fucking around and winning ugly vs the likes of Pitt and UVA

Cincy D is impressive

Would be awesome to have a Group of 5 four team playoff

Liking BYU next week against WKU......WKU is 0-6 ats so far......BYU 1q, 1q Over, 1H , 1H over, and 1H TT over

Was there a bigger coaching mismatch yesterday than Fitzgerald and Locksley? Locks needs to just go be a coordinator somewhere. Nice hire, Maryland.

Auburn gifted another game, but credit to them for taking advantage and scoring after given a break. Also the Lane train and Ole Miss totally mangled the ending drive.

Pitt flat out quit. Good luck Ian Book. Those wounded ducks you threw for tds yesterday won't cut it in 2 weeks. Pitt vs GA Tech Nov 14. Mark your calenders.

It was nice to see that Mac Jones was able to be successful in the air even after losing Waddle on the opening kickoff, but it's a big loss for the Alabama offense for sure. Smith and Metchie are great WR, but not sure they are the type to take the top off the defense. We have some true freshmen that are going to have to step up. Alabama should be just fine for the remainder of the regular season I think, but will probably need at least the threat of the deep ball for the offense to be as effective as it can be against the playoff caliber teams. On the other side of the ball, the defense showed some signs of competence. Even though Tenn isn't necessarily a dynamic offense, they have a pretty good OL and Alabama didn't seem to make the same mistakes we saw the last few weeks.

Nice rebound by LSU. Funny that for a decade plus, they couldn't solve the riddle at QB, now that seems to be the least of their issues. I don't think this will be the last "unexpected" effort by a team off a bye this season.

I don't even know what to say about AU and the lucky calls any more. For years it's been confined to their home field/indian burial ground, but I guess it travels now

Funny that after a couple of weeks, we thought the Air Raid and the Briles offense were going to upend the conference, and now after a couple more weeks it seems that they are stuck in mud. I don't enough X's and O's to know whether it's the defenses or that those offenses just don't have the right players yet

It was nice to see that Mac Jones was able to be successful in the air even after losing Waddle on the opening kickoff, but it's a big loss for the Alabama offense for sure. Smith and Metchie are great WR, but not sure they are the type to take the top off the defense. We have some true freshmen that are going to have to step up. Alabama should be just fine for the remainder of the regular season I think, but will probably need at least the threat of the deep ball for the offense to be as effective as it can be against the playoff caliber teams. On the other side of the ball, the defense showed some signs of competence. Even though Tenn isn't necessarily a dynamic offense, they have a pretty good OL and Alabama didn't seem to make the same mistakes we saw the last few weeks.

Nice rebound by LSU. Funny that for a decade plus, they couldn't solve the riddle at QB, now that seems to be the least of their issues. I don't think this will be the last "unexpected" effort by a team off a bye this season.

I don't even know what to say about AU and the lucky calls any more. For years it's been confined to their home field/indian burial ground, but I guess it travels now

Funny that after a couple of weeks, we thought the Air Raid and the Briles offense were going to upend the conference, and now after a couple more weeks it seems that they are stuck in mud. I don't enough X's and O's to know whether it's the defenses or that those offenses just don't have the right players yet
I wasn't impressed with Saban's comment regarding the Waddle injury.
(paraphrasing) "We don't usually bring the ball out from that deep."
I guess if they hadn't played the game at all, Waddle would be fine.
Seemed like a useless comment.

I wasn't impressed with Saban's comment regarding the Waddle injury.
(paraphrasing) "We don't usually bring the ball out from that deep."
I guess if they hadn't played the game at all, Waddle would be fine.
Seemed like a useless comment.
Yeah that definitely didn't come out the way I'm sure he felt. He said the same kind of thing about Tua last year. Probably just needs to report the injury, say he feels bad for the young man, and not analyze the play that caused the injury. You have that kind of weapon, you have to let him play. Could've happened on any play during the game. Waddle has been slightly banged up all season, you could see it in the way he was walking since 1H at Mizzou, wonder if it had anything to do with yesterday's injury. Hope not

Yeah that definitely didn't come out the way I'm sure he felt. He said the same kind of thing about Tua last year. Probably just needs to report the injury, say he feels bad for the young man, and not analyze the play that caused the injury. You have that kind of weapon, you have to let him play. Could've happened on any play during the game. Waddle has been slightly banged up all season, you could see it in the way he was walking since 1H at Mizzou, wonder if it had anything to do with yesterday's injury. Hope not
I wanted to watch the young man play. Too bad for all Football fans.

I heard the Saban comment. I think sometimes the coaches are so on-guard and defensive about what the press is going to do in second guessing them that they try to proactively get in front of that stuff and it comes off poorly.

I wanted to watch the young man play. Too bad for all Football fans.
It’s basically the same injury Kenyan Drake had in 2014, so at least there doesn’t seem to be any long term issues provided surgery and recovery go as planned

I had no problem with the comment. My ONLY question, is why is your star WR returning kicks?
I just don't understand that. We all knew this would be a scrimmage, why risk it?
Now if it was a Champ game or something like that ABSOLUTELY use him to return kick offs & punts

When it gets posted, I'm on Wiscy 1st half vs the Huskers next week.

I was watching the game and I'm pretty sure that two of their starting dbs will be sidelined for this time due to targeting penalties. I didn't realize that was part of the punishment.

I had no problem with the comment. My ONLY question, is why is your star WR returning kicks?
I just don't understand that. We all knew this would be a scrimmage, why risk it?
Now if it was a Champ game or something like that ABSOLUTELY use him to return kick offs & punts
He was an All-American returner. Of course you put him on the return team. And I don’t think you can just pick and choose what games to put him back there, and then have him be as effective when it matters most. He did get relieved late in games, but I think not having your best players doing what they do best is a mistake. Return TDs still count 6 points. Just very unfortunate

It's fun seeing Schiano at Rutgers again.

Clemson was only beating Syracuse by 6 at one point in the 2nd H. In Dabo's words "Syracuse is scrappy" ~ sometimes

Coastal Carolina is just good (did you see that locker room celebration? damn - kids love that kind of shit, live it up)

Depending on your line, Ohio State was covering for a grand total of 18 seconds today

UTEP had to backdoor twice late 4th quarter to get the cover

I forgot how much I like betting on Army (first time I did this season)

Both Memphis and UCF slept walked for a good part of their games today

I have no idea if this is the real potential for Notre Dame or not, Pitt...wow, Pitt

So sad for Jaylen Waddle

Didn't see any of VT - WF, how the hell that happen?

Navy missed a late 4th qrt FG that could've got them under the number

Indiana almost found a way to totally blow it, in fact, they did totally blow it for a little bit there, before they unblew it

Purdue, no hotshot play calling head coach, no former Frosh AA WR, no problem

Thought Texas was going to blow their cover there for a minute

Tough break for Rice with that never in a million years quadruple doink missed OT FG, but I believe Rice is now 1-4 straight up when favored the last 2 years

WKU nearly lost to Chattanooga

South Carolina - LSU was a scoring explosion, did not see that coming

Boise was blowing out Utah St, Utah St got back in it, then Boise proceeded to blow them out again

Wyoming - Nevada - Nevada dominated first half, didn't capitalize with all their points, Wyoming dominated the 2nd H and nearly won

San Diego State - UNLV - San Diego St dominated the first half, didn't capitalize with all their points, UNLV dominated 3rd Q and early 4th nearly getting back to the number which was absolutely crazy if you watched any of that game. UNLV had 25 yards 1st H. SD St had 10 yards 3rd Q on three 3-and-outs

San Jose State is kind of a fun team to like

So Northwestern can score points now

SEC DD favs week 1 for them were 1-4 ATS, Big Ten DD favs week 1 for them were 3-1 ATS

Michigan and Jim Harbaugh is absolutely going to destroy Michigan State this week

Miami keeps fucking around and winning ugly vs the likes of Pitt and UVA

Cincy D is impressive

Would be awesome to have a Group of 5 four team playoff

Great thoughts. Another reason to love this site.

We all get Kansas is bad, really bad. Tis why K State was my favorite play of the weekend.

But that punt return coverage vs K State? I don't think I've ever seen worse. 11 corpses could have probably run back a kick. It was that bad.

Was there a bigger coaching mismatch yesterday than Fitzgerald and Locksley? Locks needs to just go be a coordinator somewhere. Nice hire, Maryland.

Auburn gifted another game, but credit to them for taking advantage and scoring after given a break. Also the Lane train and Ole Miss totally mangled the ending drive.

Pitt flat out quit. Good luck Ian Book. Those wounded ducks you threw for tds yesterday won't cut it in 2 weeks. Pitt vs GA Tech Nov 14. Mark your calenders.
Speaking of Locksley...

View attachment 51331

Pitt shouldn't be allowed on the field again until it unequivocally commits to never wearing those uniforms again.

i thought you were gonna say until Pickett healthy cause that whole offense is entirely dependent on him. When he plays they not exactly setting the world on fire, when he doesn’t they look like the jets without Darnold.

I already knew this but really stood out this weekend. Crazy as it sounds ncaa has so many more good options for playing unders than the nfl now days!! I can barely bring myself to play a under in nfl, it almost to the point I either like the over or pass. Where as in college I’m even hitting big12 unders!!

The Indiana coach appears to be the only guy in college football who understands the value of going for 2 in OT when you are the second team to score (also an exellent move to allow the PSU running back to score, but that's another story). .

I never understand why every team doesn't do it. Unless you just have an overwhelming physical advantage like Bama or Clemson or Ohio State you should do it every time you are the second team to score in OT.

It is the only time in the game when you can guarantee you will win the game if you make three yards against a tired defense. If you choose to kick a PAT and tie the game you then have to score again in the next OT, plus hold the other team. If you have physical dominance then I understand why you just tie the game and keep playing, but Allen correctly understood his best chance was to gain three yards and win the game

And in the second OT there isn't even a question because in the next OT you have to try for two anyway

But most coaches just refuse to do it anyway. The idea of losing if they try for the two overwhelms logical thinking and they prefer to keep playing even though they may never have the opportunity again to win with one play.

Good job, coach Allen

Oh Janes Franklin, you won me $$ again being such an awful manager of clock and situational football. If he didn’t make $6mill a year, I’d send him a fun coupon. Allen outwitted him, and it wasn’t close. IU had no business winning that game and really no business leading by 10 late. But finally, IU was not the team that shots themselves in the foot and waited for the other team to make a mistake. Truthfully, I expected more out of IU. In a normal year, those are two 7-9 win teams.

Oh Janes Franklin, you won me $$ again being such an awful manager of clock and situational football. If he didn’t make $6mill a year, I’d send him a fun coupon. Allen outwitted him, and it wasn’t close. IU had no business winning that game and really no business leading by 10 late. But finally, IU was not the team that shots themselves in the foot and waited for the other team to make a mistake. Truthfully, I expected more out of IU. In a normal year, those are two 7-9 win teams.
Great post

That Ohio State freshman WR made the best catch I have ever seen. Even when you watch it in slo-mo and you see him get the ball in your hands you think, great hands, but no way he can possibly get his foot back into the end zone when his entire body is past the end line and all his momentum is carrying him further away, and yet he did it.

So many guys make one-hand catches it's become routine, but this catch is the most athletic I've ever see and a hell of a lot harder than a one hand catch.

Here's video from the game telecast showing it live, then all the replays they showed when they realized he had scored

Last edited:
There were several things that interest me about the official's call in the Ole Miss/Auburn game.

I agree the posters above about how in every Auburn game the officials make a mistake at a crucial time, then totally ignore replay and allow the play to stand, and it always favors Auburn.

This one was not as clear-cut as the one in the Auburn/Arkansas, but once again Auburn won a game when the evidence seemed to show the call was wrong.

But I admire Kiffin for publicly standing up to the conference AND their lunatic rule that says yes, all the coaches and assistants and all the players and trainers and athletic directors and broadcasters can be criticized as much as anyone wants to, but if you say something critical of the officials, even if you are absolutely right, you will be fined and reprimanded.

The rationale the bureaucrats say is to protect the trust of the public in the officials. But that makes even less sense than the rule because as soon as they fined Kiffin they sent out a press release admitting he was right.

So the result is that Kiffin was right, and they told him over the phone he was right and the officials were wrong, but he was not allowed to repeat publicly what they told him, even though they admitted he was right in a press release

Only a bureaucrat thinks that makes sense. There's no logical reason, no reason at all that matter, that officials should be free of criticism. It's one of those old rules formulated by bureaucrats back about the time of the Spanish/American War. Not only is the rule crazy to begin with, they wrote in a part of the law that ensures the law will continue forever--you fine anyone who has the nerve to question the officials who make the mistake preserved forever in digital format, let alone criticize the rule itself.

Last edited:
I’ve thought about this too. Ref accountability always at an all time low.

They never have to speak weekly or so anything at all.

It’s a quagmire for sure.

That Ohio State freshman WR made the best catch I have ever seen. Even when you watch it in slo-mo and you see him get the ball in your hands you think, great hands, but no way he can possibly get his foot back into the end zone when his entire body is past the end line and all his momentum is carrying him further away, and yet he did it.

So many guys make one-hand catches it's become routine, but this catch is the most athletic I've ever see and a hell of a lot harder than a one hand catch.

Here's video from the game telecast showing it live, then all the replays they showed when they realized he had scored

My reaction was that may've been the best crazy body control catch I had ever seen. Then later I think it was Tony Poljan from Virginia had almost an identical catch. The Smith-Njigba catch was better, I think a little more gumby-body-bending, but Poljan looked like he did the same thing. Later that night I saw Derek Deese at San Jose make an unreal sideline TD catch also. The ability these players have with their feet/toes while concentrating on the catch just keeps getting better and better!

There were several things that interest me about the official's call in the Ole Miss/Auburn game.

I agree the posters above about how in every Auburn game the officials make a mistake at a crucial time, then totally ignore replay and allow the play to stand, and it always favors Auburn.

This one was not as clear-cut as the one in the Auburn/Arkansas, but once again Auburn won a game when the evidence seemed to show the call was wrong.

But I admire Kiffin for publicly standing up to the conference AND their lunatic rule that says yes, all the coaches and assistants and all the players and trainers and athletic directors and broadcasters can be criticized as much as anyone wants to, but if you say something critical of the officials, even if you are absolutely right, you will be fined and reprimanded.

The rationale the bureaucrats say is to protect the trust of the public in the officials. But that makes eve less sense than the rule because as soon as they fined Kiffin they sent out a press release admitting he was right.

So the result is that Kiffin was right, and they told him over the phone he was right and the officials were wrong, he was not allowed to repeat publicly what they told him, even though they admitted he was right in a press release

Only a bureaucrat thinks that makes sense. There's no logical reason, no reason at all that matter, that officials should be free of criticism. It's one of those old rules formulated by bureaucrats back about the time of the Spanish/American War. Not only is rule crazy to begin with, they wrote in a part of the law that ensures the law will continue forever--you fine anyone who has the nerve to question the officials who make the mistake preserved forever in digital format, let alone criticize the rule itself.

Meet the Head Official from that Ole Miss/Auburn game. So a financial advisor from Alabama gets to officiate a game in which his performance might impact his standing among his clients and potential clients? Cool. Also...anybody want to guess where Curles' daughter went to college? If you guessed Auburn, then unlike Curles, you made the right call.

Here's the takeaway for me: I have no reason to believe that Curles intentionally impacted the game, however, it's a bad, and completely avoidable, look for the SEC. It's completely unacceptable.

Georgia Tech lined up to punt from the BC 29 yard line 4th-and-13 on their first possession of the game. They faked it with Harvin's passingn being incomplete in the EZ (double covered). Had they thrown short they may've picked it up, guy was open may or may not have made it to line to gain...but the idea of showing you are going to punt from BC's 29, GT does have one of the best punters in the nation so conceivably he could've got a punt downed inside the 5. I'm not sure it was very believeable that BC would think GT was actually going to punt from the 29. Just weird. Now they've kind of tipped their hand that they will run a fake punt and Harvin isn't a bad thrower.

So after that fake punt, GT fumbled on two of their next three possessions deep in their own territory directly leading to a 22y BC TD "drive" and a scoop-and-score TD. In the 2nd H GT threw an INT with their backs against their own goal line leading to a 12y BC TD "drive". 21 pts off some bad turnovers in bad spots on the field, freebies. BC only outgained them 409-362 in the 48-27 win. GT also had a KO ret TD called back by penalty and had a couple other bad penalties (offsides on 4th-and-1 and later roughing the passer after a 3rd down incompletion)

Tulane was able to lead 14-10 after the 1st Q, but then UCF shut them down with Wave gaining just 16 yards on their next 4 possessions while UCF built 37-14 HT lead behind 480 yards in just the first half! UCF led 51-28 at the end of the 3rd Q. In the 4th UCF missed a FG. Tulane had a 54y punt return to the UCF 9 which they got a TD out of and UCF got a 1st down at the T02 before taking knees. 51-34 F. Tulane attempted 3 onside kicks recovering none. Holding Tulane to 340 total yards marked the UCF defense's best effort this season (also a season high 5 sacks, previous 4 games they had a total of 6 combined).

UTEP outgained Charlotte 374-329 yet Charlotte was twice up 17 points in the 2nd half. In the first half UTEP dominated time of possession, but Charlotte flipped it in the second half and wore UTEP down. UTEP lost 3 turnovers which Charlotte converted into a 2p 7y TD "drive" and a 8p 37y TD drive. The teams combined for 31 4th Q points in the 38-28 final.

Kansas State puts up 55 points on just 381 yard of offense. Two punt return TDs and a pick-six. There was also a KSt 40 yard punt return that allowed them to kick a FG on a possession they didn't gain a first down. KSt rushed for 129 yards to KU's 113. Offensively, KSt wasn't any better than they have been in most of their other games, 6.25 ypp in this game vs their other opponents TCU 5 ypp, TT 6.3, OU 7.6, Ark St 5.4. Defensively for KU, KSt was about on par, actually just a little less, ypp than their last two Big Xll opponents WVU (6.3) and OSU (6.6).

Florida State reached a season high water mark of 265 rush yards in their game vs Louisville. But they also had by far their worst passing day 34% for just 141 yards (3.4 ypa).

Louisville also had a season high in rush yards, and their 569 total yards were also the best they've put up this year. A 9.33 yards per play!

FAU only penetrated the Marshall 40 yard line twice prior to their final possession of the game.

Marshall only scored 7 points in the 1st H, but then did kick 2 short FGs in the 2nd H.

Marshall is good, but vs the cast of characters they are playing, save App St, my overall perception of the Herd is kind of lacking. They play UMass next then MTSU - Oh boy! Close the season with Charlotte. Once again, CUSA strength of schedules are super soft.

Temple outgains Memphis 520-494, still lose 29-41.

Temple missed a 26y FG on their opening possession, then after Memphis went up 7-0, Tigers fumbled and Owls returned it 40 yards, but Memphis D held them to a 25y FG. Memphis then fumbled again, this time in the T19, Temple drove that down, but were SOD at the M22. Memphis went 3-and-out then Temple drove down for TD (xpt blk'd). Another Memphis 3-and-out, but Tiger D got an INT with long return, were able to kick a FG without gaining a first down to retake a 10-9 lead. Temple retook the lead 16-10 (2pt no good). Memphis missed a 45y FG before HT. Temple had 258-147 first half yard edge. Memphis kicked a 47y FG to open the 3rd Q, then Temple suffered back-to-back turnovers which Memphis turned into TDs and would lead 27-15. Temple scored TD on drive kept alive with a 4th down D PI call and Memphis missed a FG. Teams traded TDs...34-29 Memphis lead early 4th Q. Memphis extended the lead to 41-29 with just 2minutes left. Temple drove down to the M11 but their 4th down pass was incomplete.

Temple lost 4 turnovers, Memphis lost 3.

There were 3 missed FGs combined.

Box score shows 7 Temple Red Zone trips and just 4 scores (3 TD +1 FG). Memphis was 3 of 4 in the RZ with all 3 scores TDs.

Russo was 41-63-392y, school records for completions and attempts, career high for yards (8th school history).

White completed just 47% of his passes. He entered the game completing 70%.

Memphis 494 total yards was a season low, Temple's 520 yards a season high.

After completing just 43% and 51% of his passes the prior two games, Miami QB D'Eriq King hit 70% with a good 10.7 ypa, by far his best ypa since the LV game.

Canes S Amari Carter was ejected for the second time in the last 3 games, this time on very first defensive play. It's his 4th ejection for targeting the last 2 years. Miami was already playing without key reserve S Balom in that game.

Miami gained 444 yards, yet scored just 19 points. Miami was 1 of 4 scoring TDs on Red Zone trips (2 FGs and a blk'd FG). Third year in a row these two played in a low scoring defensive battle. 2020 combined 33pts, 2019 26pts, 2019 29pts.

Virginia starting QB Brennan Armstrong returned to action and went 16-30-181-2-0 and led the team with 91y net rushing.

UVA had a TD called back by penalty (missed FG that drive)
UVA dropped a would-be pick-six (Miami got FG on that drive)
UVA is averaging just 20 ppg the last 4 weeks.

A few final things:

ACC

Virginia Tech was 0-for-4 TD RZ trips, they kicked two FGs on those 4 trips. VT outgained WF 433-346 and lost 16-23. WF rushed for 236, VT rushed for 210. VT - 3 TOs.

NC State benched QB Bailey Hockman early 2nd Q already trailing UNC 14-0 and went with Tr Fr Ben Finley (Ryan's brother). UNC led 17-7 HT and stretched it to 38-7 after Finley threw an INT and was sacked/fumbled NC St reinserted Hockman for the remainder of the game. NCSt QBs combined for 3 INTs, although one should've been a TD, the receiver failed to catch and UNC caught on the tip in the EZ. 128 of NC St's 392 yards were on their final two possessions after the score was 48-14.

Big Xll

Oklahoma didn't blow this double digit second half lead. Sooners led 17-0 and 17-7 HT. For a moment, TCU appeared to have cut the score to a 3 point game, but a would-be 35y TD was reviewed and the receiver was bobbling the ball out of bounds and TCU would punt on the possession. One TCU player said that play "kinda killed everyone's spirit". Later Sooners led 30-7 before going 33-14 F. Frogs D gave up multiple big plays. TCU has lost their first 3 home games to open a season for the first time since 1997.

Oklahoma State QB Sanders returned to action and threw 2 INTs which Iowa State converted into 14 points, one occurred at the O26 (led to 3p 26y TD "drive") and the other at the I26. Sanders went 20-29-235-2-2 and rushed for 71y and a TD. ISU RB Breece Hall did rip two big runs of 70 and 66 TD yards, he finished with 185 yards, 136 of which were on those two runs. The 70y run led to a missed FG. Those two runs contributed to ISU's 227 yards rushing, but Brock Purdy was held below 200y passing for just the 3rd time in Big Xll play (finished 19-34-162-1-1). ISU was forced to punt on 5 of thier final 6 drives of the game. The other non-punting possession was their final one with OSU leading 24-14, ISU drove 83 yards for a TD with just :49 left in the game.

West Virginia outgained Texas Tech 438-348, however 3rd down struggles hampered the O, WV was just 26% on 3rd down to TT's 50%. WV's only turnover of the game was returned by TT 44 yards which broke a 27-27 tie and provided TT the final margin. TT had 4 WRs scratched prior to KO including top upper classman targets Carter, Vasher and Rigdon. TT relied on the running game and short passes game except for a key 44 yard completion to Fr WR on one of TT's TD drives. TT also scored on a 48y Thompson TD run. Thompson later left the game with injury. WV's leading tackler and impact player LB Tony Fields was ejected for targeting in the 1st Q.

Texas only led 13-3 HT, but extended the lead to 27-3 in the 3rd Q. Baylor would miss a FG and score TDs in the 4th Q to cut into the lead in the 27-16 F. The only turnover of the game, an Ehlinger INT was returned and set up Baylor for a short field TD on one of those 4th Q scores. Texas held a 429-316 yard advantage.

CUSA

LaTech led 19-6 HT on 4 FGs and a TD. LaTech's FGs were kicked from the 9, 28, 4 and 6 yard lines. That failure to capitalize on their scoring opportunities came back to bite them as LaTech only gained 55 yards in the 2nd H. Holtz gave credit to UTSA's 2nd H defensive adjustments and their failure to adjust and adapt. UTSA's O moved it for 264 yards and 3 TDs in their comeback win.

Sun Belt

South Alabama beat ULM 38-14 but only outgained ULM 415-387. ULM lost two turnovers in the RZ and missed a FG. South Alabama also threw an INT on their only empty RZ possession. South Bama was 57% 3rd down, ULM was 30%. South Bama WR Baker caught 6-154-3TD!

Troy QB Gunnar Watson was injured in the 1st Q. JUCO transfer QB Jacob Free threw 24-38-329-2-2 in relief. Troy lost 4 turnovers, Georgia State lost 3. Troy scored twice on D off an INT pick-six and a fumble return TD. Ga State was leading 36-28 when they fumbled with under 2minutes left, which Troy was able to drive for TD with just :34 seconds left. 2 pt no good. Troy appeared to recover the onside kick, but replay review showed Troy touched the ball too soon.

The rationale the bureaucrats say is to protect the trust of the public in the officials. But that makes eve less sense than the rule because as soon as they fined Kiffin they sent out a press release admitting he was right.

So the result is that Kiffin was right, and they told him over the phone he was right and the officials were wrong, but he was not allowed to repeat publicly what they told him, even though they admitted he was right in a press release

Only a bureaucrat thinks that makes sense. There's no logical reason, no reason at all that matter, that officials should be free of criticism. It's one of those old rules formulated by bureaucrats back about the time of the Spanish/American War. Not only is the rule crazy to begin with, they wrote in a part of the law that ensures the law will continue forever--you fine anyone who has the nerve to question the officials who make the mistake preserved forever in digital format, let alone criticize the rule itself.

I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t review that? These Mfers waste time reviewing all kinds of shit that doesn’t need to be reviewed. You miss a potential game changing call why not take a second look? They deserve to be roasted and pretty much all ncaa rules are garbage.

Can y
Can you imagine a Saban or Swinney team scoring on the "let 'em score" play call? LMAO at Franklin. He brings a lot to the table as a head coach, but that is pitiful.

Back