-week 8 ncaaf-

broadwayjoe

May 5Dimes MLB 2nd place
will update the record later; on my way to the browns game...lost all 3 big plays this past week, so that should be some indication that i'm struggling last couple of weeks...will lay off the big plays for a while til i get back on track and start to get a better feel of things again..

TCU +1.5

Miami OH +10

W Michigan +3

Mississippi +14 (-120)

EMU +3

Michigan St +3

SJ St -2.5

UNLV +4.5

few others i'm lookin at, but those are locked in

sorry guys...been very busy with work lately. i'll have some write-ups tomorrow evening during the game tomorrow night -- won't be going out since i have to work early on saturday...

adding:

Texas -4 -- no idea how you come up with this line

EMU ML +160

South Carolina ML +120

Michigan St ML +140

Miami OH ML +300

UNLV ML +160

Great start with TCU joe - BOL on Saturday.

Great get with WMU +3 as well. Would also lean EMU as I hate MAC road favorites.

Nice huit on tcu ...

why msu ???

Also there are grumblings coming out of ohio st locker room. Is the pryor to starter thing causing a split there ?

Michigan State +3/ML

doesn't make me happy that i'm fading my bucks here, but can't help it. all kinds of issues on both lines. on the road against a team that can run the football and control the clock in a hostile environment. i'm aware of 11 straight road big10 wins for the bucks, and the fact that msu hasn't won 7 straight games in 30 years, and the teacher/student angle in which dantonio is 0-3 (which were all dantonio on the road by the way). but it just doesn't feel right for my buckeyes, and this is the best chance they've had in a while to reverse these trends. michigan state has been a darkhorse in the big10 since day 1 for me. not sure why people think they're so overrated. their defense obviously has flaws, but they should at least contain beanie a lot better than they did last year when he went off (which is certainly clear in their heads) for 200+ with the aid of their homecrowd and the overall importance of this game...and most importantly an oline in disarray...

i was all excited against wisconsin because we were making some much needed changes up front and involving our stud freshmen tackles as a part of those changes. well now both shugarts and adams will be out for the season. was also excited about rehring being moved around to the outside -- anything for browning to play less. that was a failed experiment.

injuries are a problem in a few areas in this game. dt denlinger is banged up (will play), de wilson out for the season. big issues to an already underachieving dline. tight ends nicol and ballard are both banged up (both will play) and boom is questionable with a concussion.

back to the oline woes...i'm not exaggerating. last year, boeckman attempted 273 passes and was sacked 13 times. this year, pryor has 41 pass attempts and has been sacked 41 times. and 7 times vs purde and wisc...wow. overall (including boeckman), qbs have been sacked the same amount of times this year in half as many attempts. that is 106th in sacks allowed. SC is the only other BCS team to have given up more sacks and have a winning record. and we don't even throw that much!!! part of it is pryor holding the ball too long to not make a mistake, but part of it is just bad blocking. they just haven't had any cohesion and any stability and have been moved around so much since before the season with injuries that they are a very weak unit right now. i'm sure that we'll still be able to move the ball because there is talent there, and obvious talent in the backfield, but i'm not sure how consistently effective the offense can be with this hodge podge line...and we've definitely seen that the past two weeks. boone might be the most underachieving player in the nation. Steve Rehring has been rumored to have a quote that suggests he was told by the coaching staff that he was the only one they trusted to play any position on the oline. that is some real tension. Nicol said they looked like a bunch of girls out there....the defense has been bickering with the offense to do something...just not a solid team in the right state of mind going into a big road game like this. and it has led to bing 94th in total offense and 108th in passing...awful numbers for any team trying to capture a conference crown.

both coordinators are feeling immense pressure from fans and boosters because of their inability to make ingame adjustments--that really showed vs usc, where the bucks outgained usc in the first half and were close, then proceeded to get blown out. also very critical of redzone fgs and lack of good playcalling to get it into the endzone. there's also dissention between the younger guys and some of the upperclassmen, that is causing some extra tension with boeckman/pryor rumors of split time, players saying stuff they shouldn't, etc. clearly pryor is a better talent, but i'm not sure he's earned the respect from a leadership standpoint from some of the upperclassmen (most of which are underachieving and seem to be whining and making excuses).

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11033622

now, that article doesn't prove much, but it's certainly starting all kinds of rumors of locker room division, because normally everyone would refuse to talk about this, but hardly ever would there be one person only that feels this way...especially a tight end -- a position boeckman didn't even to seem know existed. regardless, tress has shown before that it's not his strength handling a situation like this.

on the other side of the ball, everyone knows about ringer, but i have the unpopular opinion that hoyer is a very efficient, good qb. 5 tds and 1 int in conference play. he takes advantage of a good ground game and doesn't make the mistake...i think he's a lot better than the stats show because of mich state's receiver problems in the past. i think we will go into this game trying to stop ringer and make hoyer beat us; and he will beat us. he's one of 24 ohio guys on the roster, and one of 10 starters. wow. cleveland guy. he will be be primed and ready for a big game here. "It can be a program win, but it's going to be hard," said MSU quarterback Brian Hoyer, who hails from North Olmsted, Ohio. "It's going to be tough. You know what to expect when you play Ohio State. The Big Ten championship has gone through them the past three years."

speaking of ohio guys adding to the motivation of this game, ringer is from ohio, and wanted to go to ohio state so bad that he didn't even take calls from anyone else. he got shut out of osu for academic reasons and we lost him to msu. he's a buckeye fan and this is his first and only shot to have a game against the bucks. he will be motivated as hell... ( "Ohio State is very respected around the country," MSU's Javon Ringer said. "For us to be able to get a win over them would just help this program tremendously. So, this game is, by far, one of the most important that we'll play this year." )as if you can get anymore motivated going up against a team that has dominated the big10 and you have a chance to derail. tress' nephew is msu's lb coach. we know the dantonio ties and no way we win in 2002 without him. but what some of you may not know is the dominance that has plagued msu over the years in their inability to beat this team...osu winning the last 6 and 11 out of 13....BUT the two wins were dantonio running the defense for saban's squad in the late 90s.

last year's game was statistically DOMINATED by the bucks, but they got a scare when after up 24-0, msu capitalized a couple of buckeye miscues and scored 2 defensive tds at the end of the 3q. they then won the 4th quarter to a reeling bucks squad, and that obviously gave them a lot of confidence.... ("They're a good Big Ten team, but they're nothing spectacular, nothing that we haven't seen before," said MSU defensive end Justin Kershaw, who is from Columbus, Ohio.
"I think we went down there not knowing if we could play with them," Kershaw said. "Then the fourth quarter rolled around and we saw that we could play with them. So, I think it's going to benefit us this week.
"Once a team gets something rolling, it lights a fire under people. Last year, I saw that in the fourth quarter. That taught us that we need to play with the same fire from the get-go." )

all this from a team that can run the ball, should be able to take advantage of loaded box with intermediate routes in the middle of the field, and score enough to win this game against my bucks that are in many ways in dissaray and transition....and in a spot where they are at home, max motivated, and confident, and have a coach that knows his opponent as well as his own team. should be a breakthrough win for this underrated team

jump, i will try to get some w mich thoughts down today or tomorrow am, but let's start by what evidence do you see that cmu is the better team? they have an awful defense, and i'm not even convinced they have the better offense here, which is a rarity. i def thought the wrong team was favored and the line has adjusted quite a bit...think western michigan is the best team in the mac, and think they win fairly convincing

Big Ten battle between unbeatens pits Spartans vs. Buckeyes

<!-- start Weather --> <table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr class="gamehead"> <td colspan="3">FORECASTED WEATHER</td> </tr> <tr class="colhead"> <td class="bi" colspan="3">Forecast for Saturday, October 18, 2008</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow"> <td>Spartan Stadium
East Lansing , MI
Updated: 10/17/08 5:44 PM ET</td> <td>Lo: 36°F
Hi: 57°F
Precip: 10%</td> <td align="center" width="55">
85.jpg
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="gamehead"><td colspan="8">Matchup</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="center"><td> </td><td>W-L</td><td>PF</td><td>PA</td><td>HOME</td><td>ROAD</td><td>DIV</td><td>CONF</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="center"><td align="left">OHST</td><td>6-1</td><td>170</td><td>100</td><td>5-0</td><td>1-1</td><td>3-0</td><td>3-0</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="center"><td align="left">MSU</td><td>6-1</td><td>208</td><td>117</td><td>4-0</td><td>2-1</td><td>3-0</td><td>3-0</td></tr><tr class="colhead"><td colspan="8">· Complete Standings</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="gamehead"><td colspan="2" class="gamehead">In Close Games (7 points or less. Since 2001)</td></tr><tr class="colhead"><td> </td><td align="center">RECORD</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>OHST</td><td align="center">14 - 5</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>MSU</td><td align="center">9 - 15</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="gamehead"><td colspan="5">Record When Scoring... (Since 2001)</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="center"><td align="left"> </td><td>20 OR MORE</td><td>30 OR MORE</td><td>40 OR MORE</td><td>50 OR MORE</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="center"><td align="left">OHST</td><td>69-8-0</td><td>43-0-0</td><td>16-0-0</td><td>4-0-0</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="center"><td align="left">MSU</td><td>42-25-0</td><td>33-9-0</td><td>23-2-0</td><td>8-0-0</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="center"><td align="left"> </td><td>LESS THAN 20</td><td>LESS THAN 30</td><td>LESS THAN 40</td><td>LESS THAN 50</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="center"><td align="left">OHST</td><td>10-9-0</td><td>36-17-0</td><td>63-17-0</td><td>75-17-0</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="center"><td align="left">MSU</td><td>4-21-0</td><td>13-37-0</td><td>23-44-0</td><td>38-46-0</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="gamehead"><td colspan="3">TEAM AVERAGES & NCAA RANKS</td></tr><tr class="colhead"><td style="width: 40px;">OFFENSE</td><td style="width: 20px;">TM</td><td>PER GAME AVERAGE / NCAA RANK</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td rowspan="2" style="width: 40px;">Total Yards</td><td style="width: 20px;">OHST</td><td nowrap="nowrap">
337.6 / 90th</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td style="width: 20px;" class="bi">MSU</td><td nowrap="nowrap">
373.9 / 66th</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td rowspan="2" style="width: 40px;">Passing Yards</td><td style="width: 20px;">OHST</td><td nowrap="nowrap">
160.3 / 106th</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td style="width: 20px;" class="bi">MSU</td><td nowrap="nowrap">
197.3 / 88th</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td rowspan="2" style="width: 40px;">Rushing Yards</td><td style="width: 20px;" class="bi">OHST</td><td nowrap="nowrap">
177.3 / 36th</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td style="width: 20px;">MSU</td><td nowrap="nowrap">
176.6 / 37th</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td rowspan="2" style="width: 40px;">Points Scored</td><td style="width: 20px;">OHST</td><td nowrap="nowrap">
24.3 / 75th</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td style="width: 20px;" class="bi">MSU</td><td nowrap="nowrap">
29.7 / 45th</td></tr><tr class="colhead"><td colspan="3">Full Team Stats: Ohio State | Michigan State</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table class="tablehead" style="border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(220, 220, 220); border-width: 1px 1px 0pt; margin: 0pt;" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="gamehead"><td>Individual Leaders</td></tr></tbody></table><table style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td style="width: 50%;"><table class="tablehead" style="margin: 0pt 0pt 5px;" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" style="background: rgb(222, 49, 41) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"><td colspan="5">Ohio State Passing</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left"> </td><td>CMP%</td><td>YDS</td><td>TD</td><td>INT</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Pryor</td><td>65.8</td><td>537</td><td>5</td><td>2</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left" nowrap="nowrap"><a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=156811"><abbr title="Boeckman" style="border-bottom: medium none;">Boeckm...</abbr></td><td>64.5</td><td>446</td><td>3</td><td>2</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td><td style="width: 50%;"><table class="tablehead" style="margin: 0pt 0pt 5px;" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" style="background: rgb(34, 107, 49) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"><td colspan="5">Michigan State Passing</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left"> </td><td>CMP%</td><td>YDS</td><td>TD</td><td>INT</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Hoyer</td><td>50.3</td><td>1314</td><td>6</td><td>3</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left" nowrap="nowrap"><a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=238910"><abbr title="Cousins" style="border-bottom: medium none;">Cousin...</abbr></td><td>75.0</td><td>32</td><td>0</td><td>0</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td></tr></tbody></table><table style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td style="width: 50%;"><table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" style="background: rgb(222, 49, 41) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"><td colspan="5">Ohio State Rushing</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left"> </td><td>CAR</td><td>YDS</td><td>AVG</td><td>TD</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Wells</td><td>71</td><td>479</td><td>6.7</td><td>2</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Pryor</td><td>76</td><td>339</td><td>4.5</td><td>4</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td><td style="width: 50%;"><table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" style="background: rgb(34, 107, 49) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"><td colspan="5">Michigan State Rushing</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left"> </td><td>CAR</td><td>YDS</td><td>AVG</td><td>TD</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Ringer</td><td>247</td><td>1112</td><td>4.5</td><td>14</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left" nowrap="nowrap"><a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=238795"><abbr title="Anderson" style="border-bottom: medium none;">Anders...</abbr></td><td>25</td><td>96</td><td>3.8</td><td>0</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td></tr></tbody></table><table style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td style="width: 50%;"><table class="tablehead" style="margin-bottom: 0pt;" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" style="background: rgb(222, 49, 41) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"><td colspan="5">Ohio State Receiving</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left"> </td><td>REC</td><td>YDS</td><td>AVG</td><td>TD</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left" nowrap="nowrap"><a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=174003"><abbr title="Robiskie" style="border-bottom: medium none;">Robisk...</abbr></td><td>24</td><td>232</td><td>9.7</td><td>4</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left" nowrap="nowrap"><a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=173997"><abbr title="Hartline" style="border-bottom: medium none;">Hartli...</abbr></td><td>14</td><td>231</td><td>16.5</td><td>2</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td><td style="width: 50%;"><table class="tablehead" style="margin-bottom: 0pt;" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" style="background: rgb(34, 107, 49) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"><td colspan="5">Michigan State Receiving</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left"> </td><td>REC</td><td>YDS</td><td>AVG</td><td>TD</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Dell</td><td>20</td><td>443</td><td>22.2</td><td>2</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left" nowrap="nowrap"><a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=238800"><abbr title="Cunningham" style="border-bottom: medium none;">Cunnin...</abbr></td><td>19</td><td>322</td><td>16.9</td><td>0</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="tablehead" style="border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(220, 220, 220); border-width: 0pt 1px 1px; margin: 0pt;" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="colhead"><td>Full Player Stats: Ohio State | Michigan State</td></tr></tbody></table>

STATS LLC
Before this season began, Ohio State was again predicted to contend for the national title, and win its fourth consecutive Big Ten title. Its still atop the Big Ten, but it hasn't looked like a national power lately.
Michigan State, meanwhile, didn't have the same lofty preseason expectations, but it has won six games in a row to also climb to the top of the league standings.
In a matchup of conference leaders, the 12th-ranked Buckeyes again look to get their offensive woes straightened out Saturday when they visit the No. 20 Spartans, who are trying to win their seventh straight game for the first time in 30 years.
The Buckeyes (6-1, 3-0), losers of the last two national championship games, were ranked second in the AP preseason poll and were predicted to finish first in the Big Ten. Their national title hopes took a hit, however, after a humiliating 35-3 loss to then-No. 1 Southern California on Sept. 13 dropped them to 13th in the nation.
Ohio State has won four straight games since losing to the Trojans, but its been unable to make a move in the rankings due to its lackluster play.
In last Saturday's 16-3 home win over Purdue, the Buckeyes faced the 11th-worst defense in the nation, but gained only 222 yards of offense and scored their only touchdown on a blocked punt return.
"Offensively we didn't get near as much done as we're going to need to get done," Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said.
"There was a moment where you looked good and there was a moment where you went backwards. We're not consistent at all."
Freshman quarterback Terrelle Pryor looked shaky, as he missed wide open receivers and took sacks when he should have thrown the ball away. He finished 10 of 14 for 97 yards and ran for 27 yards on 14 carries.
Since Pryor took over the quarterback duties for senior Todd Boeckman after the loss to USC, the Buckeyes have the 10th-worst passing offense in the nation, averaging just 128.8 yards.
"We have to pass the ball better," said running back Chris "Beanie" Wells, who rushed for 94 yards on 22 carries against the Boilermakers. "That might be surprising coming from a running back, but we have to get the ball downfield. We have to use our receivers better."
Overall, Ohio State has the second-worst offense in the Big 10 (320.9 ypg), but it has another chance to get its offense on track against a Michigan State team that is allowing an average of 413.7 yards in its last three games.
"All in all, the guys have to step up," Wells said. "It's the Big Ten. We have to play better."
The Spartans (6-1, 3-0), meanwhile, are playing better than most expected.
After going 7-6 last season, Michigan State has won six straight games since a season-opening 38-31 defeat at California. The Spartans entered the Top 25 on Oct. 5 -- their first time since Oct. 16, 2005 -- and proceeded to defeat previously unbeaten Northwestern 37-20 on Saturday to move up three spots in the latest poll and become bowl eligible.
"We see how things are falling into place on how our season is going thus far," running back Javon Ringer said. "We aren't complacent; we aren't settling or relaxing at all because we are bowl eligible. We know we have some big tests left throughout the season. Now we are really going to start testing the team we have, but we are expecting big things."
Last Saturday's victory also kept Michigan State, which hasn't won seven consecutive games since 1978, atop the Big Ten with Penn State and Ohio State. The Buckeyes host the Nittany Lions next Saturday, while the Spartans visit Penn State in their regular-season finale on Nov. 22.
While Michigan State's defense has been susceptible lately, it's been winning behind Ringer, who rushed for 124 yards and two touchdowns against Northwestern and leads the nation with 1,112 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Ringer was shut down by Ohio State's defense last season, though, as he was limited to 49 yards on 18 attempts in the Buckeyes' 24-17 victory. Wells, meanwhile, ran for 221 yards and a touchdown on 31 carries in that win for Ohio State.
The Buckeyes have won six straight over the Spartans since a 23-7 loss at Michigan State on Nov. 6, 1999. In Ohio State's last game in East Lansing on Oct. 14, 2006, the Buckeyes rolled to a 38-7 victory.

What's at Stake

The winner keeps at least a share of the Big Ten lead at the conference season's halfway point. The Buckeyes and Spartans are tied atop the standings with Penn State at 3-0.
Key Matchup
Michigan State RB Javon Ringer versus the Ohio State defense and Buckeyes RB Chris "Beanie" Wells against the Spartans defense. Whichever one gets the most done may put his team in position to win.
Players to watch
Ohio State: QB Terrelle Pryor's athletic ability gives the Buckeyes a chance for big plays against a Spartans defense that occasionally gives them up, but he must limit turnovers to keep his team out of trouble. LB James Laurinaitis leads the Buckeyes with 67 tackles. DE Rob Rose will have to pick up the slack for injured DE Lawrence Wilson. Ray Small ranks as the Big Ten's top punt returner.
Michigan State: QB Brian Hoyer will have to step up if the Buckeyes are successful in stopping Ringer. WR Mark Dell, if healthy, could be a key target. LB Greg Jones and S Otis Wiley key an aggressive Spartans defense. K Brett Swenson has made a school record 15 consecutive field goals after missing his first attempt of the season.
Facts & Figures
Ringer leads the nation with 247 carries and 1,112 rushing yards and is second at 158.9 rushing yards per game. ... The Spartans have won six straight games in the same season for the first time since 1999. ... Ohio State has won six straight in the series and 11 of the last 13 meetings, with Michigan State's last victory coming in 1999. ... The Buckeyes rank 10th in the conference in total offense at 321 yards per game. ... Both Michigan State and Ohio State feed off turnovers, ranking among the top 20 nationally in turnover margin. ... The Spartans have 24 players from Ohio. ... Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio was defensive coordinator of Ohio State's 2002 national championship team.

Last edited:
Michigan State turns over new leaf in October

<dl class="byline">Teddy Greenstein | ON SPORTS MEDIA AND COLLEGES<dd>9:30 PM CDT, October 17, 2008</dd></dl>October used to bring two changes to East Lansing: The leaves turned brown, and the Spartans turned into punch lines.

Under Bobby Williams, Morris Watts and John L. Smith, Michigan State went 21-9 before Oct. 1 and 18-36 after it.

Who could forget the sight of Smith, after watching Ohio State block a field goal just before halftime, stomping off the field, screaming: "The kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up!"

Smith's flakiness is out. Mark Dantonio's toughness is in.

Teddy Greenstein E-mail | Recent columns

<!--//--><iframe src="http://www.chicagotribune.com/common/includes/google-adsense-content.html?client=ca-tribune_news3_html&channel_content=chicagotribune_sports&channel_section=chicagotribune_section&type=wide&page_url=http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-18-greenstein-ohio-state-micoct18,0,2522927,print.column" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" width="290" frameborder="0" height="395"></iframe>
Blowing monster leads is out. Attention to detail is in.

You can see it in Michigan State's plus-10 turnover margin, which ranks sixth in the nation. Or you can look at a more obvious number—the Spartans' six-game winning streak.

"The thing about Michigan State is, they're not going to beat themselves," Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said. "And they're going to force you into errors."

Ohio State and Michigan State square off Saturday, and you get the feeling that if Tressel had to handicap this one, he would go green.

Tressel's mug overflowed with praise for Dantonio, his close friend and former coaching teammate.

"Mark's good for the game of football," he said, "and anything that's good for the game of football is good for all of us."

While the Spartans are all about momentum, good vibes and teamwork—the first words most players use to describe star running back Javon Ringer are "humble" and "unselfish"—the Buckeyes have entered the dreaded land of turmoil.

The defense is annoyed with the offense, which ranks 94th in the nation and next to last in the Big Ten in total yards (320.1 per game).

"The defense is more like, 'What's going on?' " tackle Alex Boone said.

Some veterans sound peeved Tressel replaced fifth-year starter Todd Boeckman with freshman Terrelle Pryor. One tight end, Jake Ballard, suggested a two-quarterback system.

Another tight end, Rory Nicol, told the offensive linemen in a meeting: "You guys, you look like a bunch of girls out there."

Even tailback Beanie Wells, whose Heisman Trophy campaign has sputtered worse than John McCain's, suggested the Buckeyes pass more.

So what to do?

Not even Joe the Plumber, a Buckeyes fan, could unclog this mess.

"If an apology is what you'd like, we can all go to lunch," Tressel cracked at his weekly media session. "I apologize. And we'll try to get better."

Somehow against that backdrop, the Buckeyes are favored to win. By more than a field goal. On the road. I don't get it. Doesn't Vegas see that Michigan State has changed?

Here's my final score: Spartans 24, Buckeyes 17.

Ohio State brings flaws into Spartan Stadium

by David Mayo | The Grand Rapids PressFriday October 17, 2008, 9:30 AM

EAST LANSING -- We expected all season to see a stable picture of consistency Saturday at Spartan Stadium, just not necessarily that it would be the home team.
Ohio State is not exactly a house divided, but there are grumblings from within, with the offense handed over to a kid, quarterback Terrelle Pryor, who is showing both signs of brilliance and signs of the freshman he is.
The Buckeyes struggle to pass. Even running back Beanie Wells said they must commit more to it.
They struggle to score. They did not have an offensive touchdown last week against Purdue.
medium_pryor02.jpg
AP File PhotoTerrell Pryor doesn't have Ohio State's offense running on all cylinders right now.
They struggle from within, because some players want answers, while the coach does not agree with the premise of the questions.
Where they are headed this season remains to be seen, but this does not:
Ohio State and Michigan State went to the far west this season and lost a game each was expected to lose, after which the Spartans, not the Buckeyes, have recovered more completely; after which MSU's Mark Dantonio, not Ohio State's Jim Tressel, did the better coaching job; after which the Spartans' defensive questions, not the Buckeyes' offensive questions, have been better resolved.
The Buckeyes are a three-point favorite. Clearly, their reputation precedes them.
By that, I mean they kick a lot of field goals.
Ohio State's veterans have spoken clearly about their offensive self-impressions.
They look at Pryor -- the hotshot whose delays in making Ohio State his chosen college destination kept both Penn State and Michigan in sustained recruiting limbo -- and see a youngster with bright tomorrows who might not be the best candidate to maximize today.
They look at Todd Boeckman, the deposed starter who took the Buckeyes to the Bowl Championship Series title game in January, and wonder why their veteran leader is wearing a headset on the sidelines.
They avoid saying too much specifically critical of Pryor, who is 4-0 as a starter, but their disgruntled overall offensive assessments have been pointed, and the unspoken thought rings just as clearly: College football only lasts four years, so why sacrifice one of mine?
Boeckman, in his first extended interview since his demotion, gave a series of classy responses this week. No, this isn't what he expected as the returning quarterback of a BCS title participant. No, he does not necessarily think a two-quarterback system is the answer. Yes, he will be ready if called upon, but no, he hopes that doesn't happen, because it means something went wrong.
Besides, Ohio State has offensive problems beyond the quarterback, primarily the line -- nothing gets fixed until that improves -- and a lack of play-calling commitment to the pass, which is why they average 143.57 passing yards per game, 108th nationally.
The Buckeyes' brilliant defense will keep them in every game but can't go it alone.
Michigan State viewed Ohio State as a benchmark opportunity since long before the season began. An iffy opener at Cal, six wins, then Ohio State. That's how the Spartans saw it all along.
Since then, they found themselves defensively, as demonstrated in several games this season, none more vividly than last week, on the road, against then-undefeated Northwestern, which scored 48 points against them last year but was shut down early this time, with the Spartans seizing control against just the kind of multi-pronged offense which has caused them so many problems over the years.
Offensively, Javon Ringer is a Heisman Trophy candidate. Brett Swenson is an All-America-type kicker.
It also is doubtful that anyone at Ohio State was circling this game back in August, like they were here.
The picture of consistency has not exactly become a faded snapshot, but Ohio State's aura has been dented by a long string of utter failures against top opponents, most recently the 35-3 loss to USC five weeks ago.
Ohio State remains the better program but, on the day of this long-anticipated game, Michigan State has better direction.

Once a star, now Boeckman doesn't play

<!-- /kicker & headline --> <!-- subhead --> <!-- /subhead --> <!-- byline -->
dot_h.gif

The Associated Press
Published: October 16, 2008
dot_h.gif

<!-- /byline --> <!-- body text --> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> document.writeln('<div id="bodyText" style="font-size: ' + currentTextSize + 'px; line-height: ' + currentLineHeight + 'px;">'); </script> <!-- article tools - narrow (used with span photos) -->
at_narrow_top.gif

<!-- email article --> E-Mail Article
dots_at_narrow.gif

<!-- /email article --> <!-- audionews --> <form name="listenForm" id="listenForm" method="post" action="/bin/listen.php" style="display: inline;" target="listenPopup"><input name="id" value="17005612" type="hidden"><input name="headline" value="Once a star, now Boeckman doesn't play" type="hidden"><input name="section" value="sports" type="hidden"> Listen to Article</form>
dots_at_narrow.gif

<!-- /audionews --> <!-- printer friendly --> Printer-Friendly
dots_at_narrow.gif

<!-- /printer friendly --> <!-- 3 column --> 3-Column Format
dots_at_narrow.gif

<!-- /3 column --> <!-- translate --> Translate
dots_at_narrow.gif

<!-- /translate --> <!-- share article --> Share Article
dots_at_narrow.gif

<!-- /share article --> <!-- text size -->
icon_at_textsize.gif
Text Size

<!-- /text size -->
dots_at_narrow.gif

<!-- 88x31 button --> <!-- No ad for sports_88x31_article --> <!-- /88x31 button -->​

at_narrow_bot.gif

<!-- /article tools - narrow (used with span photos) --> <!-- copy --> COLUMBUS, Ohio: Todd Boeckman is trying hard to take the high road.
The sixth-year senior is clearly heartbroken and humiliated that he no longer has a role other than non-playing captain on the No. 12 Ohio State football team. A star a year ago who was first team All-Big Ten at quarterback, he now stands on the sideline wondering what went wrong.
"I guess this hasn't worked out the way I planned it," he said on Tuesday night. "But if we're still winning, I'm all for it."
Four games into the season, after the offensive line had a sieve-like game in a 35-3 rout at then-No. 1 Southern California and Boeckman had to run for his life all night, coach Jim Tressel benched him and replaced him with freshman Terrelle Pryor.
Boeckman was not told about the decision. He noticed he was getting fewer snaps in practice leading into the game against Troy, but neither Tressel nor any of the other coaches ever sat down with him and discussed the situation until a week or so later.
<!-- sidebar --> <!-- today in links --> Today in Sports

dot_h.gif

Do-or-die Red Sox face pitching choice for Game 6

dot_h.gif

Amid global crunch, Formula One banks on Asia

dot_h.gif

Argentina's coach quits after loss to Chile

dot_h.gif

<!-- /today in links --> <!-- 170 x 60 ad -->
<!-- No ad for sports_170x60_article -->​
<!-- /170 x 60 ad -->
<!-- /sidebar --> The Buckeyes (6-1, 3-0 Big Ten) have won four in a row since the switch, against teams with a combined record of 14-10. Pryor has been just OK, passing for less than 100 yards in two of those games and under 150 in the other two.
The gifted freshman has shown an ability to run away from pressure when his protection fails. He has also made some bad decisions in terms of holding onto the ball, which is understandable for a quarterback with almost no experience reading college defenses.
He's been sacked 10 times in his four starts; Boeckman was sacked 13 times during the entire 12-game regular season last year.
Pryor will truly be tested over the next four weeks, when the Buckeyes face teams with a combined record of 21-5, starting with Saturday's game at No. 20 Michigan State (6-1, 3-0).
Meanwhile, Boeckman watches from the sideline. He hasn't played in the last two games. When Tressel was asked during his weekly news conference when he planned on getting Boeckman into a game, through clenched teeth he said, "You'll know the moment it happens."
The Buckeyes didn't score an offensive touchdown in their most recent game, a 16-3 win against Purdue last Saturday.
That led to speculation that maybe Boeckman might be reinserted into the lineup. But Tressel effectively said that would not be the case.
Boeckman chose not to be a distraction. He is gracious publicly about the move at quarterback and has tried hard to lend a helping hand to Pryor. He refuses to say anything negative about the guy ahead of him, or the guy in the sweater vest calling the shots.
"When you're on the sidelines, you always want to play. You always want to be that guy out there," Boeckman said. "Terrelle is doing some good things out there. He's getting better each and every week. I'm doing what I can. If my number's ever called, I'm going to be there, ready to go."
Boeckman said his family is upset by his demotion. He said when he was booed for throwing an incompletion against Troy, it was harder on them than it was on him.
His teammates and fellow seniors recognize that Boeckman is struggling with his lack of playing time.
"He's definitely in a tough position, a senior captain and he loses his job," tight end Jake Ballard said. "We try to stay behind him, keep his head up and tell him to just keep fighting and working hard and everything will work out for itself."
Offensive tackle Alex Boone added, "I think he's doing a great job in practice. If he were to be thrown into a game, he'd step right back in there. He's the rock. It'd be great to see him back in there."
In the meantime, Boeckman quietly waits for another chance.
"It hasn't worked out the way I wanted it to, but like I said, we're still winning and we're getting the job done and he's — I think, what is it, 4-0 now? — he's 4-0 as a starter. I guess you can't complain about that," he said.

one other thing affecting the passing game is the wide receivers' inability to create separation and make plays. they aren't much better than average to begin with, but they've really been underachieving. this makes banged up tight ends that much more of an issue. i have always said emotion and homecrowd can help you stop the run. in this situation, i expect msu to be able to load the box and at least contain beanie.

the dline has had several issues as well; not being able to pressure the qb or gobble up blockers to free up our lbs...the injuries to that unit will hurt, because we had a rotation to hide that weakness..and even that wasn't working. strong as hell in the secondary and at lb, but our dline will wear down if msu can control t.o.p...which is definitely an area of concentration

jpicks, running low on time here, but how many pts do you think unlv is going to score here? i mentioned in your thread the desperation of this spot, but i really think they can do whatever they want offensively. i like my chances with a home team in a more desperate spot when the visiting team can score 30+ and still easily lose.

^hahaha if you win i'll be very happy. much rather see the bucks win than to win money, because i think we beat psu. if they can pull it together and get a W here, they'll prob win the big10 again.

jpicks, running low on time here, but how many pts do you think unlv is going to score here? i mentioned in your thread the desperation of this spot, but i really think they can do whatever they want offensively. i like my chances with a home team in a more desperate spot when the visiting team can score 30+ and still easily lose.

I respect the spot here for UNLV more than anything. They lose here and their season has the capability of a huge spiral downward. My problem is that they can't stop the running QB. Jefferson is going to kill them IMO. I'll be shocked if either team is <21 points. That said I was pretty sure BYU would get at least 21. :tiphat:

Back