WEEK 8 BIG thread

HUNT

CTG Partner
Staff member
Big poppa coming in next week. He will be better for all you dissectors out there.

Onto 8, hopefully you all had a profitable week on 7.

Iowa @ Ohio State tix going for 62 bucks. Can Iowa score 10? 1?

Indiana @ Rutgers tix going for 28 bucks. Hey at least both teams don't quit. Dogfight.

Purdue @ Wisconsin tix going for 63 bucks. Purdue is humming on offense now. Wisconsin heartbreaker in week 7.

Northwestern @ Maryland tix going for 14 bucks. Tua junior out? Would you pay 5 bucks to go to this game? 2?

Minnesota @ Penn State tix going for 159 dollars?? whattt? Lmfao. Row the boat vs mr potato head

Going to one up @B.A.R. with a box score. Your nothing until you can run 49 more plays and gain 23 more first downs but yet still somehow win by one possession…. ;)

Attachments

• F19087DD-BBD4-4A94-8656-A1A3127AF686.jpeg
    F19087DD-BBD4-4A94-8656-A1A3127AF686.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Trey run fast, throw ball to trey. Really, nebraska should have won. Both of the interceptions were terrible throws to wide open receivers and then Thompson missed probably the easiest throw of his life to a guy in the end zone that had no one near him that cost us 4 pts.

Trey run fast, throw ball to trey. Really, nebraska should have won. Both of the interceptions were terrible throws to wide open receivers and then Thompson missed probably the easiest throw of his life to a guy in the end zone that had no one near him that cost us 4 pts.
I think he's still running around somewhere in WL wide open

Alright, I'm ready to chat....

I'm just going to dive right into Michigan and Penn State...

Before we talk about this total ass-whooping....

What the heck was Penn State players and staff thinking? They were chirping all week on SM. Durung pregame warmups, they were all chirping as well, including some coaches towards UM players. Okay, fair enough, I'm all for spicing things up. I guess you do that if you are confident that you'll take care of business. But, then, the 1st half happened. Despite the score, this was PURE domination in most facets...

So, what happens on the way to the lockerrom? Penn State starts chirping AGAIN!

Franklin starts getting into it...

Penn State had a plan though, start launching the complimentary PB&Js...

\

They did connect with one sandwich though, probably their best offensive play of the day...

Now, I understand the logistics with one tunnel (which just so happened to have been dedicated to Lloyd Carr on Saturday)... but they have gone almost 100 years with no incidents. Franklin wants something changed... all that being said...

I'd advise opponents to stop firing up the home team, they get their asses kicked promptly afterwards...

Think about this. Michigan State went all-out with a contract for Mel Tucker. The domino effect is that Penn State gave James a brand new deal as well. These fanbases are both having some buyers remorse right now. This goes for A LOT of contracts around the nation. I'm just using the B10 centric ones.

Wild times.

Okay, summaries of the week in next post...

I was shocked at the incompetence of the pedo st run D. DL blown off the ball, LB absolutely clueless on filling gaps. Reminded me of a certain team in red.

Alright, to the games...

I think we all know how the marque match-up went this week. Michigan punished Penn State start to finish. The Lions did have some life in the 2nd quarter as Clifford executed a beautiful keeper right down the goal line. JJ stumbled out of a drop back and threw a bad pass which deflected a few times before being returned for 6 points. I'll admit, we've all seen these types of games before that turn into nail-biters. Michigan stuck with what worked and just took it to them in the 2nd half.

My Penn State thoughts...

-Why did Singleton have only 4 carries?
-Holy moly their DL is not good at all.
-The corners are future Sunday guys, but I didn't see the difference making (albeit Michigan didn't throw much in 2h).
-I don't want to degrade this team, they just ran into a team that was too physical for them.

Interesting point... Somewhere I read after the game that Franklin is building this team to beat Ohio State. That was his excuse for the small defensive line? I dunno. Interesting. That could be a whole different thread to be honest.

Michigan Thoughts...

-Return of Mike Hart was HUGE. This guy is the single biggest addition to the team in the past two years. You can credit a lot of Haskins and Corums growth the last two years to Mr. Hart. Early in the Penn State game, Donovan Edwards had some poor runs. He runs very upright and doesn't hit the right hole all the time/decisively enough. They had a chat after those first few runs and suddenly, he went beast mode the rest of the game.
-RedZone offense MUST improve. You cannot be kicking FG' down in Columbus in 6 weeks. You'll get blown out.
-Last two games, the OL has been outstanding.
-DL gets better and better each game.
-Jim moving Sainstril from WR to nickel is the sneakiest best move maybe in all of the country this season. He'll play on Sundays. That was not the case at WR.
-JJ had two bad decisions. He is learning and growing. All that being said, he's turning into a solid game manager (Cade-esque). I'm excited to see his progress the last 5 games of the regular season.

Overall, great win. Great crowd. The competition stepped up and we all needed to see them versus a ranked team.

Bye Week, then on to the Super Bowl which will be UTL in Ann Arbor Halloween weekend.

Back to sandwich gate -- funniest thing since the show throw in LSU and FLA @twinkie13

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minnesota and Illinois were on at the same time as our game. I watched the 1Q as I had an under 7.5 play. Of course, Illinois goes right down the field and scores. Then, the end of the quarter the clock just wouldn't tick. Lucky for me, a 4th down-play was used instead of a FG... anyways, enough about me...

Bert got those guys playing Bert ball. Nothing more, nothing less. Brown is having a great year. Devito is solid enough and works perfectly for a Bert team. I'd like to thank @Br@ssknux for his thoughts about his guys (Illini) pregame. Go back and read them if you haven't already. Great use for capping later (fwiw, if you aren't reading his threads then you are already behind the ball).

Minnesota passed for 38 yards... yup...

Illinois had great balance (220 and 258)...

Time of possession was 40-20 basically. That isn't the 42-18 like the UM/PSU game but both were just dominant.

Great win for Illinois...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had many people in my area ask about the MSU and Wisky game and my thoughts. I was honest with them; I saw 2 plays live. I'm sorry, with an instant classic in Knoxville and a helluva 4th down in Ft Worth this game simply didn't merit time on the big screens... all that being said...

Huge, HUGE win for Michigan State. This was their first FBS win of the year and the only 'break' in what is a brutal stretch of games going into November. As far as bowl eligibility goes, this was a must.

Sparty run defense isn't too bad. They can be had when a team is up and starts grinding in a 2nd half, but they won't get gashed early generally. They seemingly were solid vs Wisconsin in this area. The Badgers are the exact type of team to ignore going after a week secondary. Hey, they are what they are.

Excellent stat-line for Thorne -- 75% completion rate, 265 and 2 tuddy's including the game-winner in OT. Michigan State struggled on the ground, although I am sure Berger was happy to get to paydirt versus his old school.

Only bet I had here was under 24 in the 2h. Late third I was feeling good, and even after the first score felt solid. I wanted 34.5 to middle (45 was my total number). I didn't. I had another opportunity at 37.5 but didn't. Sure enough...

Comedy of errors late in this game, botched game-winner...MSU going for broke in OT with Wisky drawing dead, but it worked. Jayden Reed is always a dangerous threat, and he had a big game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I said in the thread and few other spots that I was looking at Nebraska. As this game played out, I kicked myself several times... this was a game to profit on... I love situational handicapping, and this was a great spot. Wild box score, as @PaintCrew posted. As Cub said, NU could have won this thing on the field....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last, but not least, Indiana and Maryland...

Great balance from the Terps (270 and 172)

Indiana ran for 36 yards on 32 carries.

Indiana 3 turnovers

I didn't see much here. As I wrote earlier in the week, this was a huge game if Maryland wanted to change the perception. They simply need to win these games to make the next step. Indiana came back from 14-3 to take the lead TWICE. Maryland battled back from that (and a Taulia injury). That is progress. Hemby was great running the ball. Boxscore says the made the Hoosiers one-dimensional.

Terps sit at 5-2 (2-2)... They get Northwestern and a reeling Badgers team the next two weeks(bye inbetween). Once again, these are must wins. Ohio State and Penn State lurk in middle of November... time to put up or shut-up for Locksley and crew. This was a BIG first step.

I'll get more into this week's game on Thursday...

Initial lean to Minnesota in the White Out.

Maryland needs to take care of NW as well.

Injuries and weather need to be sorted out....

Purdue with a huge program game in Camp Randall...

I'm surprised indiana is finding ways to score. They aren't very good on offense. Qb just isn't any good if you get any sort of pressure on him. Probably a nice backdoor team if they get the opportunity as teams won't blitz late up two scores.

I'm surprised indiana is finding ways to score. They aren't very good on offense. Qb just isn't any good if you get any sort of pressure on him. Probably a nice backdoor team if they get the opportunity as teams won't blitz late up two scores.
Good point.

Odd team.

Bill O'Brien is the name of the week in the coaching search. I have another source who told me they had initial discussions with Aranda a few weeks ago.

Big poppa coming in next week. He will be better for all you dissectors out there.

Onto 8, hopefully you all had a profitable week on 7.

Iowa @ Ohio State tix going for 62 bucks. Can Iowa score 10? 1?

Indiana @ Rutgers tix going for 28 bucks. Hey at least both teams don't quit. Dogfight.

Purdue @ Wisconsin tix going for 63 bucks. Purdue is humming on offense now. Wisconsin heartbreaker in week 7.

Northwestern @ Maryland tix going for 14 bucks. Tua junior out? Would you pay 5 bucks to go to this game? 2?

Minnesota @ Penn State tix going for 159 dollars?? whattt? Lmfao. Row the boat vs mr potato head
When was the last time Iowa +29. There’s no way I would ever give SGU that many. If the get 10 TOSU needs 40.

When was the last time Iowa +29. There’s no way I would ever give SGU that many. If the get 10 TOSU needs 40.
Last time +29 or more was September 2000, +44.5 at Nebraska. Lost 52-13.

Last time Iowa was a dog of 20+ was the last time these two teams met, with Iowa winning memorably, 55-24.

Overall Ferentz is 6-4 ATS getting 20+.

Last edited:
Will take a couple defensive scores or at least them shortening the field

Doubt Iowa give up a ton of points though...unless it's the offense that does

Lots of moving pieces to that puzzle

Ohio State wins by 40+ easy
They beat Purdue 59-31 next meeting after the crazy 49-20 loss. Covered easily as -19 (was 45-17 at the half). Iowa’s defense is the only thing making me hesitate, but I have had this game circled since before the season started.

Last edited:
They beat Purdue 59-13 next meeting after the crazy 49-20 loss. Covered easily. Iowa’s defense is the only thing making me hesitate, but I have had this game circled since before the season started.

Yeah I'm just not seeing how Iowa stops them on offense, nor do I see Iowa having any long drives to shorten the game. This Iowa team is a joke. I will probably be on the Iowa TT under first half myself. Yeah, I'm gonna go play that right now...damn they aren't out for me yet. Gonna play bucks fh -14.5 lay the extra juice.

Yeah I'm just not seeing how Iowa stops them on offense, nor do I see Iowa having any long drives to shorten the game. This Iowa team is a joke. I will probably be on the Iowa TT under first half myself. Yeah, I'm gonna go play that right now...damn they aren't out for me yet. Gonna play bucks fh -14.5 lay the extra juice.
Sorry for the typo -- that Purdue game was 59-31, but still an easy cover, 45-17 at the half. I think you're right.

I would think so.
Kinda interesting. He runs more of a B10 typish program, if that makes sense. Obviously in retrospect it seems crazy he and O worked together. Not long either.

That sounds like a good fit. Retain Mickey, and try and pluck some coordinators. Think he wants a biggie deal like Midnight Mel?

Kinda interesting. He runs more of a B10 typish program, if that makes sense. Obviously in retrospect it seems crazy he and O worked together. Not long either.

That sounds like a good fit. Retain Mickey, and try and pluck some coordinators. Think he wants a biggie deal like Midnight Mel?

No clue on what it would take. Nebraska has the money, that I know. Would think mickey stays unless he's pissed he didn't get the job.

No clue on what it would take. Nebraska has the money, that I know. Would think mickey stays unless he's pissed he didn't get the job.
He’s like 53,54. I think he gets an interview/prove the worth but he has to know Nebby gotta slam dunk this hire.

Last time +29 or more was September 2000, +44.5 at Nebraska. Lost 52-13.

Last time Iowa was a dog of 20+ was the last time these two teams met, with Iowa winning memorably, 55-24.

Overall Ferentz is 6-4 ATS getting 20+.
Thanks for that.

I think Mich was -23 or so in 2016 at Kinnick, in a loss.

JSN playing today for the first time since the Toledo game. Also returning today will be Henderson and Meatball at RB. I think OSU scores 42+

Back