Week 7..........Battle of the Carolinas

E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
LVSC Opener: SC-9
Off Shore Line: SC-6

First let me say, I am writing this asking myself, what the hell is up with this line. I was looking for something like SC-10 and thinking that was a bargain. The books threw me a complete meatball here or I am about to get a huge SUCKER punch come Saturday night.

A little background, the fans of both of these schools hate each other. They both refer to themselves as "Carolina." UNC had a part in not letting SC back into the ACC. Once again, the fans of these two teams hate each other but the two football teams have not met in quite some time. Expect a decent showing of Garnet and Black.

Why is this game IMPORTANT?

This game is 100% about RECRUTING. Don't think so? Why does Spurrier want to play this game every yr? Why pick up an OOC school who is going to get better and is not D1AA to play every yr when you already have OOC game with Clemson and an SEC schedule? Recruiting. This is the latest Spurrier quote:

"We're going to practice hard this week, I can assure you," Spurrier said. "We have a lot of work to do. We're going to try to get better on our offensive line and our defensive line." It's the first meeting between the former ACC rivals since 1991. USC is 16-34-4 all-time against the Tar Heels in a series dating back to 1903. However, USC has won four of the last six meetings dating back to 1981 when the Gamecocks upset third-ranked UNC, 31-13. "I think it's going to be a wonderful game for the fans," Spurrier said. "It's a natural game. There's probably a little bit of a rivalry between the two states." USC has 16 players from the State of North Carolina on its roster. Following Thursday's game, Spurrier said those players were already getting "fired up" about the game. "Most of them were recruited by the North Carolina schools but they chose to come to South Carolina because they think we have a chance to do some big things and hopefully win the conference during the time they're here," Spurrier said. "They're just excited to go back to their home state and play. They're not overly excited because we know we have to play well to beat North Carolina." UNC lost four of its first five games before stunning one-loss Miami, 33-27, Saturday at home. The Tar Heels bolted to a 27-0 lead and held off the hard-charging Hurricanes in the second half. "(UNC) had a big win yesterday. They're a good looking team," Spurrier said. "We have to play well if we're going to have a chance to beat them. We're looking forward to going up to Chapel Hill. It's another ballgame we're trying to win."

-- Spurrier advocates playing UNC every year in Charlotte at Bank of America Stadium.

SC has picked up their opening game with NC State next yr. Spurrier wants to beat these NC schools so that he can hold it over recruits heads. The state of SC is small but when you combine SC and NC, there is a TON of talent to go around.

Recruits:

I will add to this list as the week goes on and I find out more but I know a few will be on hand to watch UNC-SC including the following..Of course when dealing with 17-18yr old kids, anything is possible.

Robert Quinn = #1 overall guy on SC board, will be attending.
Jamal Womble = On top2 rb board that SC wants
Jonathan Cooper
Reggie Bowens = SC commit
Dwayne Allen
RJ Mattes
EJ Abrams -Ward = biggest longshot of the bunch for SC

Not on hand but have UNC-SC on the top of their list:

Martin Ward = On top2 rb board that SC wants
Nick Beckton =

*There are some others, don't feel like looking to find it right now.

The Matchup:

UNC is fresh off a home win over Miami while SC is off a home win over UK. I am not getting into the whole UK-SC thing, I think SC outplayed UK minus the 3rd quarter, others might feel differently. What I do know is that it took an unmotivated and unprepared Miami team with 4 turnovers, blocked punt, and missed field goal to give UNC the 6 point win.

UNC has played some teams tough this yr and they are very young so like SC, I expect them to improve every week. There were open WR's running all around the field for Miami, Kyle Wright turned in one of the worst performances from a QB I have seen in a long time.

Looking at their past games, Miami has been mentioned, VT beat them 17-10 and got all but 80yards passing. The VT is awful, everyone knows that already. USF beat the crap out of them but they did go on the road for that game. They played UVA tough at home but UVA is a bad road team, everyone knows that. They lost to ECU on the road and were abused by the pass.

SC would like to run the ball better and stop the run better. SC was content with letting Woodsoon dink and dunk but they would not allow the deep ball. They were able to get pressure on him and notch 3 sacks, I expect SC to get some pressure on Tyler Yates this week. UNC found a running game this week vs. Miami which is a bit surprising but I don't see them controlling the clock and running it down SC's throat. At the end of the day, SC is a better and more complete team. The point spread is low and you have to lay road chalk but I don't see it as a problem at this number.

Letdown?:

Not happening here. Yes they just beat the previously ranked #8 team at home but they have been off since friday, they have seen the frequent upsets in college this yr, they are trying to back up their ranking, they are a better team on the road. Spurrier gets these boys ready to play on the road as evidenced by his 11-1 ATS while at SC.

Final Thoughts:

I think it is a crime that the SC line is lower than that of the Miami game last week. The only reasons I see to bet NC this week at +6 are because 1)you have a home dog and 2) college football has been crazy this yr.

Right now I am thinking SC by 13-17+

I will update this thread throughout the week.

Please tell me I am crazy and tell me why you like UNC.

If you are crazy for liking SC here, then commit me to the insane asylum as well, because I will likely be riding SC for the second consecutive week.

I posted the same thing in Red's thread. That is the first line I saw and almost flipped out. UNC did look pretty impressive against Miami but Miami blows donkey nuts. Maybe a letdown for SC after beating Ken at home? I don't have a clue why the line is so low.

It feels like a trap line but if it is I'll donate....SC is just too much for Butchie and crew. I thought this line would be 10.5 to 13 ish. At the least I grab it early because it will will only move towards 10 and you can sell it for the middle.

Neither team has really impressed me much, to be honest......

While that might be true, I am insulted by this line.

I have said it time and time again, I didn't feel like SC deserved their ranking. They didn't deserve their #11 last week and they don't deserve their #7 this week but they are far bar than UNC. UNC might get to 17 but no way does SC only score 23 here.

This is will be the 3rd game in a row that SC goes over 31 points, that much I am sure of.

The SC team who plays ClemSUX will be much better than the team that plays this week because we are so young. Right now there is 1 senior starting on defense (Casper Brinkley) and 2 on offense (Boyd, Web Brown). If they take care of business and go 9-3 or 10-2 on the yr, it will be a very successful yr despite losing 2 of their best players on defense and playing 9 games with a RS-Frosh QB.

Great stuff - thanks for the write-up ETG. I definitely lean to the SC side, something is keeping me away though.

Great stuff - thanks for the write-up ETG. I definitely lean to the SC side, something is keeping me away though.

Please, when you find out what that something is, let me know. I still can't make sense of SC-6.

Guys, the line is only -6 because S. Carolina struggled to put away Miss State, and needed the turnovers to beat Kentucky last week in a game that everyone in the country watched.

N. Carolina, 2 weeks ago, went into Blacksburg and played toe-to-toe with what looks to be an improving V. Tech team that is re-energized with Tyrod Taylor at QB. N. Carolina then beat Miami on Saturday, although they needed Canes turnovers to win.

Like I said, neither team has really impressed me. I would put a dollar on either team in this game at the current line because I believe that both teams have deficiencies that the other team can exploit.

Guys, the line is only -6 because S. Carolina struggled to put away Miss State, and needed the turnovers to beat Kentucky last week in a game that everyone in the country watched.

N. Carolina, 2 weeks ago, went into Blacksburg and played toe-to-toe with what looks to be an improving V. Tech team that is re-energized with Tyrod Taylor at QB. N. Carolina then beat Miami on Saturday, although they needed Canes turnovers to win.

Like I said, neither team has really impressed me. I would put a dollar on either team in this game at the current line because I believe that both teams have deficiencies that the other team can exploit.

That is where we disagree though.

Without the late TD, it is still 31-21 SC over Messy. Messy scored their 1st TD when they got the ball on the SC 30yd line. They scored their 2nd TD when they got a defensive holding call in the endzone that no one in the stadium saw, that came on 3rd down when they were stopped and going to kick a field goal. Those were MSU's 14points in the 1st half which could of been 6-10 as easily as it was 14. Regardless of that, SC while falling behind early still scored 38 points on a better defense than UNC will sport.

VaTech threw for 80yds, I repeat, 80yds. Not because UNC plays defense, because VaTech sucks on offense. They held UNC to 10 points which gives me confidence that SC would hold them under 20 but no, VT is not better on offense than SC, no way in hell.

About needing turnovers to beat UK, this is driving me nuts. Take away the 1st turnover UK had which SC scored on because it nets out with Saunders fumbling what was a SURE touchdown. That leaves UK with 3 turnovers. UK won exactly 1 quarter of that game, the 3rd when USC had -15yards. Where were UK's drives of 10plays-89yards before half for 7 points or late in game when SC put in 2 touchdowns in the 4th? Smelley was 10-of-11 for 151 yards during SC's two touchdown drives against Kentucky in the 4th quarter. UK was outplayed in the 1st 20minutes and were in the game 10-10 luckily because of a nice conversion on 3rd and long to Tamme in the endzone. They got their field goal because they got the ball on the SC 40yd line and than got a personal foul moving the ball to the 25. SC can not play total shut down defense, they don't have the horses for it because of injuries and suspensions. They improvise that by playing great on 3rd own and they play good in the redzone which keeps points off the board. How about giving credit where it is due as well. Woodson is a senior who has shown this yr that he can take care of the ball so when he has 3 turnovers vs. SC, its because he had a bad game, not because he was sacked 3times and have pressure in his face for most of the night?? The defense while ugly, forces the offense into mistake by having to grind out long drives. It has been their DNA all yr and will continue to be until next season when they are a yr older and more physically dominant. The SC offense still outscored the UK offense 24-23 if you really want to take away Norwood's 2 fumbles for TDs and disregard Saunders running 48yds only to have the ball knocked out at the 1.

With all of that said, I don't feel SC has put together a complete game yet this season because of their youth but they are getting better every game.

Good points, Everythingthatsgreen, but please understand that you are a fan of the team, and I have no emotional attachment to any team except the other USC (Trojans).

Like you said, the Gamecocks did not need the turnovers to win, but it made the game margin look wider than it should have been. Smelley still has problems locking on WR's and sometimes throws into double and triple coverage. I don't trust him with my money on the road. If you forced me to pick a side, I would take S. Caro -6 but I would not feel great about it.

I took +1000 prior to the season on S. Caro to win the SEC Title game. I am looking for them to get there so I can hedge if I need to in that SEC Title game. I am rooting for them this season, but I am not encouraged by the offense.

Tough games @ Tenn, @ Ark, and vs. Florida, remain.

I am concerned about my futures wager at this point.

I am very very concerned about the UT game. Not because they just whooped UGA but because I had SC at 7-1 going into that game and that was the game I felt could go either way but more likely a loss. We beat them 2 yrs ago up there but I just don't think we matchup well with them. I look for them to rebound @ Arky and then they come home for UF which again will be a very tough game. I think we beat Clemsux so I think SC is looking at a 9-3 season, 10-2 would be if the ball bounced the right way, 11-1 is not doable imo. I think 9-3 is a respectable yr when your top 4 tacklers on defense are TRUE sophomores, your best LB and preseason SEC-1st-team player is lost for the yr, and one of your top 2 DL is lost vs. SC State. Next yr the defense will resemble what I thought the defense would look like this yr. SC will also welcome the Lindsay twins back along with Jasper giving them 3 players who will be 5th yr seniors on defense rathet than the 1 senior they currently have

With Smelley, I think at times he can lock into McKinnley but he does a much better job spreading the ball around than Blake. Smelley's first reads are down field, Blake's are to the short routes then downfield. Smelley is just as good as Blake right now imo, he lacks the game experience but has a much bigger upside. As the 2nd half of the seaosn begins, some people better start stepping up at WR, I think Jospeh Hills might be the next guy.

Watch the public % and then determine if it is a trap game. If SC is getting less than 70% of bets, maybe the public just has a different perception of UNC's defeat of Miami. I like SC, also, but if something bothers me come Sat. I'll sit.

I keep hearing people say that Smelley is better than Blake, and I understand that, which is why he is starting. The ole' ball coach knows which guy is better.

I am not disputing that Smelley is better than Blake. What I am disputing is that he is not a major upgrade from Blake.

Trying to defend Smelley by saying, "well, he's better than Blake", is like saying that a chick is hot because she's better looking than Roseanne Barr.

It's not exactly saying much..

Some Practice Tibits.. As always, I will try to update this thread through the week.

(not my words)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Oct. 8th Practice tidbits</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR color=#cccccc noShade>
The best word to describe yesterday’s practice is intense. One source called it the most intense practice of the season. The coaching staff made sure nobody on team had relaxed one bit heading into this weekend’s game with UNC, and I think that’s exactly the approach they needed to take. The last thing USC can afford to do is believe “they’ve arrived” and have a letdown against any opponents left on their schedule.

Lemuel Jeanpierre and Kevin Young are both back in the mix at the guard spots and should see time this weekend, so the revolving door continues at that position.

Chris Smelley had a good throwing the ball. While he has performed well since taking over the starting role, the feeling is he’s still capable of much more once he puts it all together.

The receivers caught the ball pretty well overall. Look for Joe Hills to see a big increase in his snaps this weekend. Weslye Saunders also continues to turn heads in practice. He’s going to be special.

One of the big reasons UNC beat Miami last weekend was because of their special teams play. So look for the Gamecocks to spend a lot of time this week making sure the same thing doesn’t happen to them.”

Overall, I hear it was a good practice. The few extra days off allowed a lot of players to get their legs back. The OL, in particular, should benefit the most, with the lack of substituting that goes on up front during games.

I keep hearing people say that Smelley is better than Blake, and I understand that, which is why he is starting. The ole' ball coach knows which guy is better.

I am not disputing that Smelley is better than Blake. What I am disputing is that he is not a major upgrade from Blake.

Trying to defend Smelley by saying, "well, he's better than Blake", is like saying that a chick is hot because she's better looking than Roseanne Barr.

It's not exactly saying much..

lol

Today, Smelley is not a major upgrade from Blake. In November, he could be because Blake tapped out and Smelley will get better with every start.

Im just curious as to where will all these players that Spurrier is courting go when he comes to Baton Rouge next year?

Seriously, when this many people question a line like this in a rivalry/in-state type game the other side is ALWAYS the right side.
Just speaking from LOSING experience. Good Luck.

Im just curious as to where will all these players that Spurrier is courting go when he comes to Baton Rouge next year?

Seriously, when this many people question a line like this in a rivalry/in-state type game the other side is ALWAYS the right side.
Just speaking from LOSING experience. Good Luck.

When he comes to Baton Rouge? They will make him the GOV. before they let him leave that state along with giving him his own state holiday. Spurrier can do no wrong in the capital city. Do Tiger fans want Les to go to the school up north?

Now about that line, I agree with you that the other side is usually right when the line is like this. I think its fishy but I just want someone to make a strong case for UNC, so I can see what they see because right now I see a home dog and a crazy college football season. I don't think they will do anything special and they prob won't break 17-20points where as I see SC scoring over 27 and more likely somewhere in the 30's. You can make a case that UNC faces a bigger let down than SC since they just beat a conference rival. These schools are baseball rivals, their fans are rivals, but the football teams have not met in 16yrs.

Can you imagine the Spurrierisms once he has a team behind him (no knock on SC)? He will have an arrogant comment every week, hell, every day. "We beat Arkansas, and we thought that was good, but then Oregon beat them in a bowl game." Ha! My life will be filled with comic relief from September through January every year.

Can you imagine the Spurrierisms once he has a team behind him (no knock on SC)? He will have an arrogant comment every week, hell, every day. "We beat Arkansas, and we thought that was good, but then Oregon beat them in a bowl game." Ha! My life will be filled with comic relief from September through January every year.

Not a knock on SC at all. We clearly don't have the amount of talent as UF, Tenn, UGA, LSU, so we try to make up for it with coaching. Spurrier is getting cockier by the week but I think sometime next yr you will see the quotes coming out with more frequency, that or wait until ClemSUX week.

great write up! can't figure this out either.....are we all sheep being led to the slaughter?

Thanks HG, I am done over thinking this game though. If I get suckered, so be it. I feel confidnet saying this before the game, at SC-6, -7.......I would make this play 100 out of 100 times. I simply don't have the line valued that low nor do I see a reason for it to be that low. I also would like to thank my friend Kirk Herbstreit for once again putting the GameCocks on upset alert (2nd time in 3weeks). Thank you Kirk, no chance SC overlooks UNC now since they have to hear your prediction in their dorm room for the next 4 days

I will update about Carlos Thomas when I find out what the deal is. He injured his neck in practice and was taking to hospital for precautionary reasons. He is expected to be OK but his status for Saturday is unknown. For those of you who don't know who CT is, he is a corner for the GameCocks opposite Captain Munnerlyn. CT and Stoney Woodson split time at corner but Carlos has been playing more lately.

*On a side note, Jasper Brinkley vows to be back for the 08' season after having surgery to repair his LCL.

SPURRIER WANTS USC-UNC GAME EVERY YEAR: Spurrier has advocated for a long time an annual game between USC and North Carolina in Charlotte at Bank of America Stadium. But that likely won't happen for several years. The next time the teams are scheduled to meet is Sept. 18, 2010 in Columbia. USC is scheduled to play a couple of games against East Carolina next decade (2011, 2014) in Charlotte.

"That's what I suggested when I took the job, that (USC and UNC) play in Charlotte every year," Spurrier said. "(Make it) sort of like Oklahoma-Texas in Dallas and Florida-Georgia in Jacksonville. Charlotte is a little closer to Columbia, even though it's in the State of North Carolina. So I thought it would be a very fair deal. But I think we found out there's more money to be made at the local home stadiums. So, we were able at least to put it together this year and '10."

USC's Associate Athletic Director Charles Waddell indicated during Tuesday's press conference that the two schools are negotiating for games beyond 2010.

"I think it's a good game for both states," Spurrier said. "Big state universities and so forth. I don't know if it will keep getting scheduled or not. We'll wait and find out. I just believe we should play them every year. But I guess that's not going to happen."

RECRUITING IN NORTH CAROLINA: USC signed an impressive crop of players from the State of North Carolina last February during the most recent recruiting cycle, including Chris Culliver, Weslye Saunders, Jason Barnes, Melvin Ingram and Travian Robertson, among others. The Gamecocks took advantage of coaching changes at UNC and N.C. State to sign several of the Tar Heel State's Top 10 players.

"Both Coach Fred Chatham and Brad Lawing have some ties up there in North Carolina," Spurrier said. "Hopefully, those schools up there, one of them won't get it going too well. They have a lot of schools up there playing Division I football. There's a lot of players in North Carolina. There's good, excellent high school ball there, as well as South Carolina. We'll keep going up there. If they come down here, we'll go to Georgia, Alabama, Florida. We pretty much stay in the South unless we know somebody or there's a connection."

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Oct. 9th practice tidbits....</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR color=#cccccc noShade>There was no drop in intensity from Monday’s practice to Tuesday’s. The coaches continue to push the players very hard to ensure there’s no let down or feeling that “they’ve arrived” with six regular season games left to play.

Carlos Thomas’ injury occurred on a screen pass. Thomas came up in support to get to the receiver, and as he went to make the tackle, he hit his head on Quintin Richardson’s thigh. I haven’t yet heard any new info on Thomas’ status this morning, but as of late last night, it appeared he was going to be OK.

There is no shortage of desire to win this game among the coaches or the players. The players actually volunteered to run conditioning drills yesterday, and that’s not something you see very often. A lot of players on USC’s roster have ties to the Tar Heel State, and that only fuels the overall desire to beat UNC. The players are doing a great job this week of encouraging each other and pushing each other to improve.

Chris Smelley is getting more and more comfortable with his role as starting QB with each passing practice. The tight ends all caught the ball well last night, as did receivers like Larry Freeman, Joe Hills, and Dion Lecorn. The coaches are stressing the importance of blocking from the receivers.

The offensive line had a solid night’s work.

Carolina’s defense is raring to go this week. There’s still a sense from them that they’re not getting the respect they deserve as a unit, and the only way to change that is take it up a notch. They’re committed to getting better against the run.

Chris Culliver has drawn the nickname of “the specialist” from some of his teammates due to how dangerous he is with the ball in his hands. He still has not shown just what he’s capable of on kick returns. I also hear Captain Munnerlyn is very ready to take his first punt back for a touchdown.

Overall, the team is going harder than ever, which is a great sign at this point in the season. Some teams fall into the trap of just going through the motions in practice by this point in the year, but there no signs of this team making that mistake.

Carlos Thomas is out at CB for the game this wkend. Not a big loss though and nothing to worry about. RJ posted the article in his thread, here it is.

Gamecocks starting CB to miss game

Posted: Wednesday October 10, 2007 1:23PM; Updated: Wednesday October 10, 2007 1:23PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Coach Steve Spurrier says South Carolina starting cornerback Carlos Thomas probably won't play against North Carolina this week after experiencing some numbness after he got "bonked on the head" at practice.
Spurrier says Thomas was taken to a hospital and had some numbness in his arms at practice Tuesday.
Spurrier says Thomas has been released but is wearing a neck brace.
With Thomas out, Spurrier says the seventh-ranked Gamecocks would go with reserves Brandon Isaac, Addison Williams and Chris Hail.
Thomas is a junior from College Park, Georgia.
He has started five of South Carolina's six games this season and leads the Gamecocks with five pass break ups.

Here is a Q&A with UNC rivals rep. Always good to know what the enemy is thinking.

Did beating Miami in the fashion ya’ll did help you or hurt you? I mean... are they too 'high' after beating Miami to ground themselves, or did the team just gain confidence and get to business this week?

I think that beating Miami was a very big thing for this team from a confidence standpoint. After a couple of near-misses against East Carolina and Miami (losing two games by a combined 5 points), the Tar Heels were dominated on the road at South Florida, and then nearly pulled off an upset over Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, dropping a 17-10 decision. The point is, the Tar Heels could realistically be 4-2 right now, or even 5-1 with a couple of breaks, as South Florida was the only team that really overwhelmed them for 60 minutes, and this young team desperately needed a victory to keep their spirits high and their motivation strong heading into the second half of the season.

I think this coaching staff is making sure that the team stays grounded this week by 1) letting them know that there is still plenty of work to be done, and 2) there simply cannot be a letdown against this week’s opponent if they expect to remain competitive. While it remains to be seen how the absence of Butch Davis in practice this week will affect the team (they had to travel to Oklahoma following the death of his brother-in-law), it’s hard to see the Tar Heels being too “high” this week, given the fact that they are still 2-4, and know that they’ll need to step up their game even more to have a chance to beat a team as good as South Carolina.

Does anyone outside Columbia care about this game?

I can promise you that there are plenty of people in North Carolina that care about this game. In fact, I’d venture to say that this is the most highly-anticipated non-conference game in Kenan Stadium in at least five years, when Mack Brown returned with Texas in 2002. The game has been a sellout for months, and the UNC fans are pumped up for the arrival of the nation’s No. 7 team in South Carolina.

While North Carolina fans sometimes get a reputation for caring only about basketball, the arrival of Butch Davis and his coaching staff, along with the successful recruiting haul of 2007, there is a ton of excitement right now about Tar Heel football, perhaps more so than any other time in the last decade. The South Carolina game is being looked at by many as something of a barometer to see how far the UNC program has to go before they can be considered a nationally-renowned team.

Did the UNC coaching staff pay much attention to USC's performance Thursday night against Kentucky?

I’m sure the UNC staff has spent extensive time over the past few days breaking down the Gamecocks on both sides of the ball, and given the way USC handled the Wildcats, a top 10 team coming in, they have their work cut out for them preparing for this opponent.

Do you believe UNC will try a mixed-bag offense of run-pass or in the face of the nation's best passing defense just stick to the run and try to make this game a dog fight in the trenches?

The Tar Heels have some weapons at wide receiver, and the passing game has been one of the team’s biggest strengths this fall when they have played well. Redshirt freshman quarterback T.J. Yates has shown remarkable poise under pressure, while receivers Hakeem Nicks and Brandon Tate have made some big plays. So to answer your question, I feel like the Tar Heels are going to put the ball in the air and try to put some pressure on the USC defensive backs.

There’s no doubt that UNC will try and establish the run as well, as they have on all their games, but Davis has harped for a year about the desire to create a balanced offensive system, which doesn’t depend too heavily on either the run or the pass. I expect the Tar Heels to continue playing multiple running backs, including Anthony Elzy and Ryan Houston, and work the ball between the tackles, as they did successfully against Miami.

South Carolina’s secondary presents a major challenge to the Tar Heels; there’s absolutely no doubt about that. However, I seriously doubt the UNC coaches will enter the game unwilling to challenge the Gamecocks secondary, especially given the absence of cornerback Carlos Thomas.

Adam, What do you think UNC has to do to play more consistent football? Obviously the first half and second half showing was not the same last week. What made the difference and which one are we likely to see this weekend? Prediction?

From the standpoint of consistency, I think the biggest factors are time and preparation. UNC is currently starting true or redshirt freshmen at quarterback, tailback, H-back, defensive tackle, middle linebacker, “SAM” (strong) linebacker, cornerback, and free safety, and these players have to learn what it takes to become consistent by taking the best shots of opponents and bouncing back from adversity. Miami was one of the first chances for many of the UNC players to hold a second half lead. In addition, these players have to learn how to prepare for opponents during the week by spending extra time in the film room, studying their playbooks, and working through the practice routine.

After one of the most impressive halves of football put together by a UNC football team for quite some time against Miami, the Tar Heels knew they were going to get a shot from the Hurricanes in the second half. Injuries in the secondary, along with a couple of breakdowns in coverage, allowed UM to make a game of it, but the Tar Heel defense made several critical plays down the stretch, including a timely third down sack to kill one drive, and a couple of interceptions in the second half, to keep the Hurricanes at bay.

The Tar Heels will certainly be looking to come out with the same effort and intensity that they had against Miami, but South Carolina is a superior opponent this year. While I fully expect UNC to come out fired up and emotional early on, USC has the talent to dictate their will unless the Tar Heels are prepared for what’s coming.

UNC has a young secondary, IYO does that hurt them vs USC?

No question about it. Everybody knows that Steve Spurrier likes to throw, and that’s he’s something of an offensive mastermind. North Carolina’s starting lineup includes two redshirt freshmen (cornerback Kendric Burney and safety Deunta Williams), a true freshman (cornerback Charles Brown, who also plays “nickel back”), and a junior (safety Trimane Goddard, the only one with experience coming into this season). The USC offense is intricate and complex, and makes good use of creating mismatches and confusion in the secondary. That is where extra preparation in the film room comes into play so heavily this week. The Tar Heel secondary will be well-served to spend practically every waking hour that they’re not in class or practice this week watching film, because they haven’t seen an offense like this one yet.

Please talk about the decision/play making ability of Yates.

Probably the biggest praise that Yates has gotten from his coaches and reporters over the past several months has been his remarkable composure in the pocket. UNC has already faced two of the top defensive linemen in the country this season, in Virginia’s Chris Long and South Florida’s George Selvie, and while both those players made their fair share of plays against Yates, the rookie remained poised and often made plays in the face of tremendous pressure, getting a pass off confidently before taking a hit. While he’s not a top option to run outside the pocket, Yates can scramble a little bit, and will do so if pressured and nobody gets open. The one thing about Yates that will cause concern for an opposing team is his willingness to stand in the pocket and not get rattled. He’ll take a sack most often before he’ll throw a risky pass into coverage. He’ll also stand back there until the last possible second and deliver a ball although it’s clear he’s going to get drilled. Yates didn’t have great games against South Florida and Virginia Tech, but performed well in each of UNC’s other contests. Certainly he’ll have to play well on Saturday for the Tar Heels to have any kind of chance at winning.

What are the rules for tailgaiting, keep in a cup?

I think UNC has gotten some of a bum rap around the ACC and elsewhere for its football gameday atmosphere, but the reality is that tailgating is openly accepted and practiced expansively at Tar Heel home games although there isn’t one huge parking area like there is at certain schools. The mass construction on campus and around Kenan Stadium, and the subsequent lack of parking spaces, does not allow for a large convening of tailgaters in one place, but rather a setup of smaller, more individual tailgate parties.

As far as alcohol, the rule about “keeping it in a cup” applies mainly if you are walking along the sidewalks leading towards the stadium or are actually on the UNC campus, where there is a “Tar Heel Town” set up for every home game. You don’t want to be walking directly outside the stadium with a beer can or bottle in your hand. However, if you are tailgating in one of the parking decks or somewhere else adjacent to the stadium like a parking lot, you shouldn’t have any problems with a can or bottle unless a cop just happens to be walking by right that moment and you’re drawing attention to yourself. I’ve never had any problems with that, nor have I seen anyone frisked or arrested for having an open container in one of the parking decks or lots tailgating before a game. In other words, there aren’t cops walking around busting people for open containers. While I’d certainly keep an eye out, there is nothing that should stop you from having a good tailgating experience before the game, although I would recommend getting to Chapel Hill several hours early, if not Friday night, for parking purposes. The biggest hindrance to tailgating in Chapel Hill is adequate parking, not cops looking to arrest people for having open cans or bottles of alcohol.

What’s are your feeling for an annual battle of the Carolina's in Charlotte?

I agree with Steve Spurrier. I think the Tar Heels and Gamecocks should play every year, which would amplify a popular regional rivalry and probably make both schools a lot of money along the way. A game in Charlotte would almost definitely result in a sellout every year because of the rivalry and the city’s close proximity to both schools, and such a game would, in time, become one of the highlights of both schools’ yearly schedules, much like the N.C. State game is now for the Tar Heels, and the Clemson game is every year for USC fans.

North Carolina’s current athletic administration does not want such an extended series setup with South Carolina or any other school, but it isn’t out of fear of playing the Gamecocks. The UNC athletic administration under its current leadership has largely avoiding extensive non-conference series with any school, preferring mainly to schedule two-game “home and home” series with individual programs in order to create more variety in the schedule, and to allow the Tar Heels to play opponents from different conferences. Such a system has resulted in UNC playing series with programs like Wisconsin, Texas, Notre Dame, South Florida, Louisville, and Utah over the past 6-7 years.

Me personally, I’d vote for an annual UNC-USC game in Charlotte, especially now that schools have to schedule 12 games a year. Of course, I don’t get to make such a decision.

Is UNC going to make it to the Final Four this year?

While such things are never a guarantee, I certainly think there’s a very good chance for the Tar Heels to punch a ticket to the 2008 Final Four. Should the Tar Heels earn a No. 1 seed in the East Region, they would not have to leave the state of North Carolina in the first four rounds of the NCAA Tournament, as the first/second round is scheduled for the RBC Center in Raleigh, and the East Regional semifinals/finals are scheduled for Bobcats Arena in Charlotte. Such a setup would be ideal for the Tar Heels, as they would be playing in front of friendly crowds, as opposed to many out-of-state NCAA venues, in which the fans are mostly pulling for upsets. The Tar Heels are the undisputed preseason favorite in the ACC, and tomorrow morning, Rivals.com is revealing North Carolina as their choice for preseason No. 1. However, given the chance for injuries and other as-yet undetermined factors, one can never take a Final Four berth for granted, and I can promise you that Roy Williams isn’t taking it for granted.

Adam, where do you think UNC matches up the best against us and where they match up the worst, and what about USC concerns the Heels the most?

I think UNC matches up best with South Carolina along the defensive line, which is the strong point of this year’s Tar Heel defense. Up front, UNC actually has some experience, with senior captains Hilee Taylor (defensive end) and Kentwan Balmer (defensive tackle), along with freshman phenom Marvin Austin, who has already worked himself into a starting role. While the Gamecocks have a strong offensive line, I think they’ll find that the Tar Heels are no pushovers up front.

The Tar Heels match up worst with the Gamecocks in the secondary, with such a young unit. As I mentioned in the above post, USC is going to throw a lot of different formations and looks at the young Tar Heel defense, and I also expect to see varying pass routes and schemes, perhaps some things that they haven’t seen from anyone else this fall. Anyone that follows Steve Spurrier knows he wants to get it done in the air, and given UNC’s overall youth in the defensive backfield, you’ve got to believe he sees this as an area that he can exploit.

In terms of what concerns UNC the most about South Carolina, I’d have to say the different things they do on defense. They line up in different formations, they sometimes shift at the line, and they thrive on confusing opposing offensive lines and springing holes for their playmaking linebackers. Watching this on film, head coach Butch Davis spoke this week about what a tremendous challenge the Gamecocks will bring with their differing looks on defense.

Does the lack of depth worry you a little in this game? I see that along with the inexperience being the biggest difference between these 2 teams.

Depth and inexperience are huge factors in this game. As I’ve stated above, the Tar Heels are starting freshmen at several different positions on both sides of the ball, and they are learning the hard way what it takes to become a consistent performer at this level. This week’s game will be part of that growing process. From a depth standpoint, the Tar Heels are really hurting at linebacker, where they have lost returning starter Chase Rice for the season with an ankle injury, and barely have enough players to form a two-deep rotation at the three spots. I expect that USC will try to wear down the Tar Heel linebackers with the running game, while also challenging the secondary in the passing game.

Is your starting QB a straight pocket passer, a guy who can espcape pretty well, or a real running QB?

T.J. Yates is definitely more of a straight pocket passer. The Tar Heels have not been running any set plays for Yates to use his wheels, like “quarterback draws” or the option, and he typically only leaves the pocket when facing extensive pressure. Even there, he often sticks it out back there and makes his throw.

Also does N.C. play man or zone mostly?

The Tar Heels have been playing both man and zone in the secondary this fall, based on the opposing offensive schemes and what the coaches are seeing. I think the UNC staff wants to familiarize these players with both styles, in order to be able to adapt to what any team is potentially doing to them.

Adam, How does the game Saturday match up in terms of enthusiasm and excited for the UNC fans? Example, is this the most excited the UNC fans have been in a while for a single game?

As I stated above, I personally feel that this is the most highly-anticipated non-conference game in Kenan Stadium since the 2002 game against Texas, a full five years. While there was excitement before the ESPN night game against Wisconsin in 2005, I doubt that game compares, in terms of both attendance and electricity, to what the atmosphere will be in Saturday’s game. Butch Davis has given Tar Heel fans reason to get excited about football and clearly Steve Spurrier has done the same for Gamecocks fans.

Adam - Wondering what your base defense was(and do you play primarily base or blitz)and what is the strength/weakness of the defense?On offense, do you guys look to run first or pass first?

The Tar Heels run a base 4-3 defense, the same defense that Davis worked with under Jimmy Johnson at Miami and with the Dallas Cowboys, and while they have been employing the blitz at certain points in games, they are playing a lot of base and “read” within the linebackers. The lack of depth at linebacker is probably the biggest weakness of the defense, as the linebackers that do play are getting very little rest during games, and in the case of a player like true freshman Quan Sturdivant, are put in a position where they are expected to perform perhaps a little bit sooner than they are ready. While senior linebacker Durell Mapp is currently among the ACC leaders in tackles, he’s been making a lot of tackles 5 to 10 yards downfield, which has been a source of frustration for the coaches. The Tar Heels have dramatically improved against the run in their last two games.

Offensively, the UNC coaches have been striving for balance, and thus far this season they’ve been pretty successful with that. They’ll throw deep on first down just as quickly as they’ll run the ball three or four times in a row, which of course is designed to help keep opposing teams off their game.

I would like to know if it is true that Butch Davis told Brad Lawing's son, that he was no longer welcomed on the football team. He was a senior that had given 3 years of his life to UNC (without a scholorship) and its hard for me to imagine that this actually happened...and if it did, why it happened. I was of course blacklisted for asking this on UNC's site...and i phrased it if more diplomatically there.

I have no information about such a situation.

Adam.... what would you say the level of interest is from the UNC fan base in having a long term home and home series with us in football? Our fan base I think would love it. It seems like such a natural rivalry that needs to be played, yet so far, we only have 2 games scheduled. I know the first day single game tickets went on sale online at Tarheelblue.com that our game was the first (maybe only) sell out. I really hope the AD's can get together and get something more regular and long term worked out. Thanks and Go Cocks!

Please read my above post about the “home and home” series with South Carolina………………I think it’s a fantastic idea for North Carolina and South Carolina to play each other every year, either “home and home” or at a neutral site like Charlotte, and I think both coaches would be in favor of it from the standpoints of competition and recruiting. However, UNC’s athletic brass likes to keep its options open regarding long-term non-conference scheduling, and therefore they have historically avoiding creating long-term (more than two game) series with non-ACC opponents, with East Carolina being one exception (UNC will play four games with ECU between 2007 and 2011).

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Oct. 10th practice tidbits....</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR color=#cccccc noShade>
Addison Williams logged a lot of first team snaps in practice yesterday and the results were mixed. At times, I hear he looked very comfortable and performed well. At other times, he looked a little lost and out of place. Brandon Isaac and Stoney Woodson will also see a lot of snaps at CB on Saturday.

Chris Smelley had another solid practice, as did Blake Mitchell. Mitchell appears ready if he’s needed again at some point this season.

The offensive line had a good day’s work. They did a good job of pocking up the blitzes and appeared to be on the same page. We’ll see whether that carries over to Saturday, but I hear they look ready.

The feeling is Carolina’s offense is close to turning the corner, provided the offensive line can at least be consistently adequate. Spurrier is enjoying calling plays with Smelley at the helm, and you can sense he feels pretty good about the potential of his offensive personnel if he can get what he needs from his offensive line.

Generally speaking, everyone is very excited about Saturday’s game. Wednesday practices are usually slower paced, but yesterday’s was the exception. A lot of energy and excitement in the air. This weekend should be very interesting.

USC-NORTH CAROLINA PREVIEW

What: No. 7 South Carolina (5-1) at North Carolina (2-4)
Where: Kenan Stadium, Chapel Hill, N.C.
When: Sat., Oct. 13, 3:30 p.m.
TV/Radio: ABC Regional (Dave Lamont, play-by-play; Jesse Palmer, analyst, Vince Welch, sideline reporter); USC Radio Network (Todd Ellis, Tommy Suggs).

Will Saturday's game between South Carolina and North Carolina finally decide which state is the real "Carolina"? Probably not, because that's a debate that will surely continue for the next millennia. But it's still good to see the two border states finally meet on the gridiron for the first time in 16 years. Hopefully, this game, and the one in Columbia in 2010, will not be the only times the Gamecocks and Tar Heels play over the course of the next decade. But, it might be. If so, that would be too bad. Both teams come into this game coming off impressive victories – USC over then eighth-ranked Kentucky and UNC over Miami.

Here's how the two teams matchup on both sides of the ball:

USC OFFENSE v. NORTH CAROLINA DEFENSE:

Redshirt freshman quarterback Chris Smelley, the SEC's Freshman of the Week the last two weeks, will make the first road start of his career for the Gamecocks after leading USC to consecutive home victories over Mississippi State and Kentucky. The most encouraging part is Smelley's best moments came in the fourth quarter of both games.

He led USC on a pair of late touchdown scoring drives against UK last Thursday in the third start of his career. Each drive was a response to a score by UK.

In the previous game, Smelley led the offense to three touchdowns in the final 18:43 of the game in the 38-23 win over the Bulldogs, continuing his streak of excellent play that began with the second half of the LSU game when he replaced fifth-year senior Blake Mitchell.

Smelley completed 17-of-30 passes for 256 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions against the Wildcats. For the season, Smelley has completed 58-of-107 passes (54.2 percent) for 810 yards with six TDs and three interceptions.

Smelley could have his way with a UNC secondary that's expected to start three freshmen on Saturday. The Tar Heels are surrendering 211.8 passing yards per game, an average of 11.7 yards per completion. Opposing quarterbacks are completing 61.6 percent of their passes.

While his completion percentage needs to increase, Smelley's presence has allowed the Gamecocks to improve their vertical passing game. Kenny McKinley (nine receptions for 175 yards and two TD's in last two games) has certainly benefited from Smelley throwing him the ball.

We say this every week, but USC is still searching for a second reliable wide receiver behind McKinley, who has caught a pass in 27 straight games. Freddie Brown has nine receptions, while freshman Dion Lecorn has three while starting the last two games. It looks like Jason Barnes and Mark Barnes are headed for redshirt seasons.

While USC is looking for another wide receiver to emerge, the tight ends and running backs already have. Mike Davis (17 receptions) and Cory Boyd (16) are second and third on the receivers list. Jared Cook (12 catches), Weslye Saunders (7) and Andy Boyd (5) have combined for 24 receptions.

Saunders nearly had the first touchdown of his career last Thursday but the ball was stripped as he neared the end zone. Since he grew up just minutes from the UNC campus, he'd like nothing better than to score his first career TD against the Tar Heels.

Most of the blame for the running game's inability to get untracked the last three games has been placed squarely at the feet of the offensive line. While the number for Cory Boyd (387 yards) and Mike Davis (383) are respectable, neither one has broken 70 yards the last two games. They combined for 119 yards in the win over Kentucky. USC is ranked 11th in the SEC in rushing defense, so it has to improve.

Things are unsettled as ever for USC's offensive line as the second half of the regular season is about to begin. The guard spot remains a puzzle, with Gurminder Thind now healthy and possibly ready to see significant snaps Saturday. Freshman Seaver Brown and senior James Thompson have started the last two games, but who starts against the Tar Heels is really anybody's guess. Garrett Anderson and Lemuel Jeanpierre are also in the mix, giving USC five players to battle for two spots.

The UNC defense is allowing 358.3 yards per game, including 146.5 on the ground. Outside linebacker Durell Mapp leads the Tar Heels in tackles by a wide margin. He has 62 tackles, 26 more than the second-highest tackler. He's third in the ACC in tackles, averaging 10.3 stops per game. Mapp arrived at UNC as a walk-on in 2004 before earning a scholarship the following season.

Defensive tackle Marvin Austin, the nation's top defensive recruit in 2006, has solidified a starting role opposite Kentwar Balmer. He has seven tackles and 2.5 sacks in the last two weeks, and 15 tackles for the year.

Defensive end Hilee Taylor, know for his speed off the edge, leads the ACC in tackles for loss with 9.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He's also third in sacks with 6.0.

All of USC's volatility on the offensive line has led to a predictable outcome – the Gamecocks have allowed a SEC-high 16 sacks in six games, so UNC will certainly try to put some pressure on Smelly by playing aggressively.

COACH'S COMMENT: "Our scoring defense has been excellent. Our pass defense has been excellent. We get pressure on the quarterback. We're stopping them. Our third-down defense has been super. So, we need to continue hopefully doing those things and the, offensively, we didn't play very well last week but we did have some drives to score touchdowns. Like I said, our offense outscored Norwood by one touchdown. So that was pretty good for us, I guess. But other than that, we're trying to get better this week. North Carolina is a good team that's lost some close games. They're 2-4 but they could be 4-2 just as easily" - USC head coach Steve Spurrier.

NORTH CAROLINA OFFENSE v. USC DEFENSE:

Redshirt freshman quarterback T.J. Yates has been steady in his first year directing the UNC offense. He's connected on 100 of 163 passes (61.3 percent) for 1,386 yards, nine touchdowns and eight interceptions. He currently ranks third in the SCC in pass efficiency and fourth in passing yards.

Yates, the fourth different UNC QB to start the season opener in the last four years, completed 15 of 23 passes for 218 yards against Miami. He hasn't thrown a TD pass in the last three games since tossing three in a 22-20 to Virginia Sept. 15.

But Yates will certainly be tested by a solid USC secondary that features three sophomores – cornerback Captain Munnerlyn and safeties Darian Stewart and Emanuel Cook. USC has the nation's top pass defense (126.6 yards) for the second consecutive week. Munnerlyn has two interceptions to lead USC, including a key pick against Kentucky last week.

You can bet UNC will test Addison Williams early and often to find out what the freshman from Atlanta is all about. Williams, making his first career start, replaces Carlos Thomas, who suffered a neck injury Tuesday night in practice.

Thomas was improving in his pass coverage skills but, as Spurrier joked this week, his absence will likely save the Gamecocks a couple of penalties in Saturday's game.

UNC enjoyed its most productive day of the season running the ball against Miami, gaining 183 yards. Running back Anthony Elzy rushed for a career-high 95 yards in the convincing win over the Hurricanes. Elzy is tied with Johnny White for the overall team lead with 223 net yards.

The USC defense has been susceptible to the run this year, giving up an average of 193.8 yards per game. Spurrier has cited rushing defense as one of biggest areas needing improvement.

UNC has a trio of weapons at wide receiver in Brandon Tate, who has 955 all-purpose yards halfway through the 2007 season and is on pace for the second-highest single-season all-purpose total at UNC, Brooks Foster and Hakeem Nicks.

The threesome has combined for 61 receptions and 993 yards with eight touchdowns this season. Nicks leads the Tar Heels with 31 receptions for 413 yards. Foster has 16 receptions, while Tate has caught 14 passes. Tate is averaging 13.7 yards on six rushes in 2007.

Tate is also a dangerous kickoff and punt returner. He's averaging 25.4 yards on 18 kickoff returns.

Defensive end Eric Norwood has been a terror on defense the last several weeks, including last Thursday's sensational effort against Kentucky when he returned a pair of fumbles for touchdowns and was honored as the SEC's Defensive Player of the Week.

Marvin Sapp and Melvin Ingram have done a respectable job filling in at middle linebacker for the injured Jasper Brinkley. Last week, Ingram had a career-high five tackles in the win over UK, while Sapp had a team-high eight stops in the previous week's win over Mississippi State.

In addition to playing solid pass defense, the Gamecocks have also been excelling on third downs. USC is first in the SEC and fourth in the nation in third down defense (25.9 percent). Opponents have converted just 22 of 85 opportunities on third down.

Beginning with the Georgia game, opponents are making just 23.9 percent of third downs (17 of 71). The highest percentage in any game has been 28.6 percent by LSU on Sept. 22.

One of the products of playing excellent third down defense is opponents aren't scoring many points. USC is surrendering just 16.8 points per game. Kentucky was limited to one-half (23 points) their season average.

COACH'S COMMENT: "South Carolina is really good. I mean, they are as physically gifted as anybody that we'll probably play all year long. They are certainly a good football team, but it's a great way to kind of measure yourself. You get a chance to find out about yourself and your program, and matchups and everything. We've said that every week, from Virginia Tech, South Florida, and Miami; I mean, they've all been very good football teams" - North Carolina head coach Butch Davis.

SYNOPSIS: Once the emotion of the first meeting between USC and UNC wears off midway through the first quarter, the game will be decided by the best players on the field. With that revelation, USC has a decided advantage when it comes to talent. UNC is still experiencing growing pains under Butch Davis. The Tar Heels may become competitive again in the ACC within the next few years, but right now, the bottom line is UNC is not a very good football team. Yes, they've suffered some close losses, but none have been to a powerhouse program except for No. 5 South Florida, and that was a 37-10 blowout. Their two wins are over Div. I-AA James Madison and a lethargic and disinterested Miami team that put on an embarrassing first half performance in last week's game. It reminded me of the USC-Clemson debacle at Williams-Brice in 2003 in terms of lack of effort. Steve Spurrier rarely loses to teams he should beat, and this week should be no exception. UNC has lost eight straight games to team in the SOP Top 25. Its last win over a Top 10 team came in 2004 with a 31-18 win over Miami. UNC has proven they can beat the 'Canes. They just don't beat many other teams.

PREDICTION: Between UNC starting three freshmen in the secondary and its porous run defense, the USC offense, just now clicking into gear behind Smelley, should have their way for most of the afternoon. Yates is a young, decent quarterback for the Tar Heels but, as Butch Davis said earlier week, the USC defense will be the best the Tar Heels have faced all season. Look for USC defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix to call plenty of blitzes and try to put as much pressure on Yates as he can. Don't be surprised if the USC defense scores at least one touchdown as a sequel to its two-touchdown performance against Kentucky. USC has scored 38 points in consecutive games. I smell a trend. Smelley will pick apart UNC's youthful secondary as USC rolls into Chapel Hill and shows the Tar Heels who the real 'Carolina' is, at least in football.

USC 38, NORTH CAROLINA 17.

---------------------------------------------------

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 height=1 cellSpacing=3 borderColorDark=#000000 cellPadding=3 width=602 borderColorLight=#000000 border=2><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=600 bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2 height=45><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=600 border=1><TBODY><TR bgColor=#5fb1e0><TD colSpan=6><CENTER>CAROLINA BLUE GAME DAY</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6><CENTER>October 13, 2007 @ 3:30 PM (TV: ABC)
Chapel Hill, N.C. - Kenan Stadium
Tar Heel Sports Network | Live Stats | Scoreboard | Weather |
Daily Line | USC Official Site | USC Rivals Site
</CENTER></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#5fb1e0><TD colSpan=6><CENTER>SOUTH CAROLINA vs. NORTH CAROLINA</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=602 bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2 height=45>
Entering the game, how are the teams shaping up at running back? Who are the keys players to watch?
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=306 bgColor=#5fb1e0 height=5>Adam Powell
CarolinaBlue.com
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=306 bgColor=#9d0000 height=5>Tony Morrell
GamecockCentral.com
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#5fb1e0 height=5>UNC head coach Butch Davis said on Thursday evening that Anthony Elzy had "clearly" established himself as the No. 1 tailback heading into this week's game. Coming off successive strong outings against Virginia Tech and South Carolina, Elzy will look to once again produce tough yardage and keep the chains moving for the Tar Heels. I expect Ryan Houston to get some touches, but Elzy is the main running back for UNC at this point.</TD><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#9d0000 height=5>For South Carolina, senior Cory Boyd and junior Mike Davis will share the load at tailback. Boyd is the more elusive of the two and more likely to break a long run, while Davis is more of the power back who will consistently gain positive yardage. Deep in the red zone, Davis typically gets the nod due to his ability to find the right hole in closed quarters. Both catch the ball well out of backfield and excel in pass protection. </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=602 bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2 height=45>
Describe the quarterback situation heading into this game. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the starting QBs?
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=306 bgColor=#5fb1e0 height=5>Adam Powell
CarolinaBlue.com
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=306 bgColor=#9d0000 height=5>Tony Morrell
GamecockCentral.com
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#5fb1e0 height=20>T.J. Yates had another strong outing last week against Miami, completing 15 of 23 passes for 218 yards without an interception. With every passing week, Yates is getting more and more familiar with this offense. If the UNC offensive line gives him time to throw, he has the potential to have a solid outing against the Gamecocks. USC is going to miss starting cornerback Carlos Thomas, who injured his neck this week in practice, but they still have one of the top secondaries in the SEC. Yates will have to continue making good decisions and avoid risky passes across the middle into coverage because of pressure, which often lead to interceptions against good teams.<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P> </O:P></TD><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#9d0000 height=20>Redshirt freshman Chris Smelley will be making his fourth career start, and his first start on the road, on Saturday. He has performed very well since taking over for Blake Mitchell, and the Gamecock offense has improved as a result. He has displayed a strong presence in the pocket and knack for buying time with his feet. He also is getting rid of the ball quickly and throwing to a spot, both of which are required in Steve Spurrier's offense.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=602 bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2 height=25>
Who is the offensive "X-Factor" to the game, and why?
CarolinaBlue.com
GamecockCentral.com
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#5fb1e0 height=19>North Carolina's wide receivers have been making plays all season, and they will have to play especially well this week if the Tar Heels are going to have a chance to win this game. Brandon Tate is an explosive playmaker that has seen a dramatically expanded role in the offense this fall, and he will need to get open and make catches for the Tar Heels against this opponent. The same goes for Hakeem Nicks, who is arguably the biggest weapon UNC has. Junior WR Brooks Foster is going to be a game time decision, and true freshman Greg Little and senior Joe Dailey could get some balls thrown their way if he can't play. The Tar Heels will be unable to beat South Carolina unless they can make something happen through the air. </TD><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#9d0000 height=19>For the Gamecocks, it's their offensive line. In their last game against Kentucky, they looked very good at times but sub-par at others. Spurrier really wants to re-ignite his running game, but that can only happen if the offensive line is performing adequately. His line must also show more consistency in pass protection. When Smelley has time, he has shown he can be highly productive, but needs the time in the pocket to really be effective. </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=602 bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2 height=22>
Who is the defensive "X-Factor" to the game, and why?
CarolinaBlue.com
GamecockCentral.com
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#5fb1e0 height=19>Middle linebacker Wesley Flagg is going to really have to play well this week against South Carolina's versatile offense. The Gamecocks like to line up in several different formations and run or pass out of the varying looks, and for Flagg, the challenge will be to stay in the right place and help guide the UNC defense in working to stop both the run and the pass. While the secondary figures to get tested early and often by Steve Spurrier, Flagg will play a critical role this week in the middle, because UNC has to respect South Carolina's ability to run the football.</TD><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#9d0000 height=19>I'd have to go with defensive end Eric Norwood. He was named the SEC and national player of the week following his great performance against Kentucky. He became the fourth player in NCAA history to return two fumbles for touchdowns in one game. Since middle linebacker Jasper Brinkley was lost for the season with a knee injury, Norwood has become the heart and soul and leader of the South Carolina defense. </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=602 bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2 height=11>
From a coaching standpoint, what do the teams have to do to win this game?
CarolinaBlue.com
GamecockCentral.com
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#5fb1e0 height=19>UNC has done much better in the time of possession battle the last two weeks, and once again this week the Tar Heel coaches will be looking to control the football and sustain drives. The inside running game will once again be crucial, as it was against Miami, and UNC's chances of prevailing hinges largely on whether or not they can get things going on the ground. Defensively, the Tar Heels are going to be looking to smack the Gamecocks in the mouth from the outset with a physical, aggressive surge off the ball. They will be looking to dictate the flow of the game by putting USC on its heels and making it difficult for them to get into an offensive rhythm. From a coaching standpoint, I expect the Tar Heels to come right at the Gamecocks early in the game, hopeful to set a tone and get the home crowd involved.</TD><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#9d0000 height=19>Defensively, coordinator Tyrone Nix needs his players to do a better job of stopping the run, which will require the first man making more plays and his players taking better angles on the backs. They've had players in position to make plays for the most part, but they haven't come up with the tackle often enough. Offensively, Spurrier is having more fun calling plays since Smelley took over the starting quarterback role, primarily because he's getting more opportunities. The Gamecocks have run close to 70 plays or more pretty consistently, and the more chances Spurrier gets to call plays, the better chance his team has to win. </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=602 bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2 height=1>
Can the run defenses hold up?
CarolinaBlue.com
GamecockCentral.com
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#5fb1e0 height=17>South Carolina enters this particular contest ranked 11<SUP>th</SUP> in the Southeastern Conference in rushing yardage, averaging 130.7 yards per game. None of their backs are among the SEC's top 10 rushers. The Tar Heels have gotten significantly better against the run in recent weeks, moving up to 8<SUP>th</SUP> in the ACC in rush defense (146.5 ypg). This is definitely an area that can help the Tar Heels keep this game close, because if they can find a way to slow down South Carolina's running game, they can control time of possession and therefore dictate the pace. However, if USC is able to make some big plays on the ground and rush for 150 or more yards, it's difficult to see the Tar Heels having a chance in the fourth quarter.</TD><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#9d0000 height=17>That's the burning question for the Gamecocks. It's been their one big weakness this year on that side of the ball. North Carolina found their running game last week against Miami, and that could spell trouble for South Carolina if they don't tackle better and get a stronger performance from their front four. Worst case, they have to continue to stiffen in the red zone and getting off the field on third down, both of which they've done a nice job of this year. </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=602 bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2 height=1>Special teams; how critical will it be in this particular game? </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=306 bgColor=#5fb1e0 height=5>Adam Powell
CarolinaBlue.com
GamecockCentral.com
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#5fb1e0 height=19>Butch Davis has a big-time safety valve in Connor Barth, who has been automatic the last two-plus seasons from practically anywhere he's kicked. From 45 yards and closer, the Tar Heels should feel very confident about Barth's ability to convert, and he will likely get a couple of chances in this game. South Carolina has the best kickoff coverage in the SEC, so the Tar Heels will be working to avoid bad field position against a solid unit. Both teams have been solid in the punting game this season. </TD><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#9d0000 height=19>Both teams are playing well on special teams coming into this contest. Two of the best kickers in the nation will be squaring off, and each team has some dangerous weapons in the return game. The Gamecocks have been on the verge of some huge games on special teams, but silly penalties have prevented it. I could definitely envision the teams combining for multiple scores on special teams in this game. </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=602 bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2 height=34>
How are the opposing secondaries looking heading into this game, and can either offense get the passing game going?
CarolinaBlue.com
GamecockCentral.com
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#5fb1e0 height=19>UNC has been progressively improving against the pass, as they currently sit fifth in the ACC in yardage allowed (211.8 ypg) and tied for third in interceptions, with seven. Everyone knows that Steve Spurrier likes to throw the ball, and although the Gamecocks have only completed 57.1 percent of their passes (compared to 61.6 percent for UNC), they are averaging 229.3 passing yards per game. Kendric Burney will continue to start at one cornerback position, and the other spot is likely to be held down by multiple players, including sophomore Jermaine Strong and freshmen Tavorris Jolly and Charles Brown. Brown also serves as the team's "nickel back," and given South Carolina's propensity for the pass, he will likely serve as a fifth defensive back in several plays on Saturday. Freshman Deunta Williams is becoming a serious player at safety, while junior Trimane Goddard has shown his versatility by playing both safety and outside linebacker. The unit is going to have to play fast and play hard in order to give UNC its best shot of winning the game.</TD><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#9d0000 height=19>Coming into this game, the Gamecocks lead the nation in pass defense. They primarily play man coverage in the secondary, but they will mix in some zone coverage as well. Cornerback Captain Munnerlyn is one of the best cover corners in the Southeastern Conference, and safeties Darian Stewart, Emanuel Cook and Brandon Isaac have all three been very productive this season. Cornerback Carlos Thomas is likely out this weekend due to a neck injury he suffered earlier this week in practice. He'll be replaced by a combination of Stoney Woodson Addison Williams and Isaac, who can play multiple spots in the secondary.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=602 bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2 height=58>
Who are the key players in the trenches (offensive and defensive lines) for the two teams, and how will they affect the outcome of the game?
CarolinaBlue.com
GamecockCentral.com
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#5fb1e0 height=19>South Carolina has given up more sacks (16) than any other team in the SEC, and the Tar Heels have been watching film this week working to figure out some things that other teams have been successful doing against this offense. I expect the Tar Heels to try and put pressure on USC's offensive line with a series of blitz packages and bull rushes up front. The Tar Heels have got a shot of making this game very interesting if they can get some timely sacks and force punts, as they did for much of the game against Miami. Offensively, the Tar Heels have a legitimate chance of running the ball against this opponent if the line can get in gear. South Carolina comes in ranked 11<SUP>th</SUP> in the SEC with an average of 193.8 yards allowed per game, and it will be up to the guys in the middle, particularly guards Aaron Stahl and Calvin Darity, along with center Lowell Dyer, likely to start again in the absence of Scott Lenahan, to create some space for Elzy and the other UNC backs.</TD><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#9d0000 height=19>Offensively, left tackle Jamon Meredith is the most talented player, and his matchup with Tar Heel defensive end Hilee Taylor will likely be a key battle to watch in this game. Defensively, I think Marque Hall needs to have one of the best games of the year in order for the Gamecock run defense to play like it's capable. </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=602 bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2 height=36>
Who will win the game, bottom line why (they will win), and what will the final score be?
CarolinaBlue.com
GamecockCentral.com
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#5fb1e0 height=19>From a statistical standpoint, the Gamecocks look susceptible for a major letdown this week, and given North Carolina's impressive improvement the last two weeks against stiff competition in Virginia Tech and Miami, there is some reason for optimism for Tar Heel fans that the game can be competitive. However, these Gamecocks are battle tested after games against nationally-ranked foes Georgia, LSU, and Kentucky. USC defeated the Bulldogs and Wildcats, and played the Tigers, the nation's No. 1 team, very tough. While UNC figures to compete and make a game of it, South Carolina is just too strong this year. I expect the Gamecocks to win by a 24-20 margin.</TD><TD vAlign=top width=306 bgColor=#9d0000 height=19>My prediction is South Carolina 34, North Carolina 17. I look for a hard fought first half with the Gamecocks pulling away in the second half. </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=602 colSpan=2 height=19>---Tony Morrell is the publisher of GamecockCentral.com of Rivals. ---Adam Powell is the Associate Editor of CarolinaBlue.com and the author of three books, including a history of ACC football and histories of UNC basketball and football.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

-------------------------------------------------------

<OBJECT id=rvflash codeBase=http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=60 width=620 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

<EMBED SRC=contentheadlines.swf?h1=Davis+gives+final+pre-USC+synopsis+&h2=&lwidth=620&lheight=60&lshadow=1&sFontColor=000000&sLink= WIDTH=620 HEIGHT=60 SALIGN=lt QUALITY=best SCALE=noborder wmode=transparent ID=rvflash NAME=rvflash BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT></P>Adam Powell
CarolinaBlue.com Associate Editor
<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in Blue Heaven

This week has certainly been a unique one for UNC head coach Butch Davis, as he had to leave Chapel Hill on Tuesday following the death of his brother-in-law in Oklahoma. Davis returned to Chapel Hill after being gone for a full day, and on Thursday, he worked through a half-gear (shoulder pads and helmet) practice session with his team as they continue to prepare for Saturday's game against No. 7 South Carolina in Kenan Stadium.

<!--Start Butch Davis Miami 200x267 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/941/549103.jpg', '549103.jpg', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Butch Davis missed Wednesday\'s practice, but was pleased with the film of the workout.', '', 1192192059000, 'Butch Davis Miami 200x267', 941, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
549103.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Butch Davis missed Wednesday's practice, but was pleased with the film of the workout.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Butch Davis Miami 200x267 Image-->"I appreciate all the patience and stuff. It's a tough situation for our family, and more so certainly for my wife," Davis said immediately after Thursday afternoon's practice. "We've had an enormous amount of unbelievable support, and certainly back there (in Oklahoma) she got a lot, and certainly here with a lot of different people on campus, in the football department and just fans, cards and stuff. It was all very appreciative."

Davis and the Tar Heel coaches had already prepared much of the game plan for the Gamecocks earlier in the week, and he was able to watch the tape of Wednesday afternoon's practice session. He was pleased with the team and coaching staff's effort in his absence.

"I got back yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon, so I got a chance to go to all the meetings with the players, and watched all the tape and stuff," he said. "I have the ultimate trust and confidence in our coaching staff. We had talked about probably 85 percent of the game plan (before), because I didn't leave until Tuesday afternoon. I was there all Sunday, Monday, Tuesday for all the game planning, and sat in on all the meetings. I know they (the coaches) did a good job. I talked to them after the practices, and they said the energy was very good. I watched the tape, and yesterday was a very, very good practice, and today (Thursday) was a good, solid practice."

In his typical fashion, Davis didn't give praise to any one individual for holding everything together during his brief absence. He gave marked praise to his coaching staff, which he trusts fully given the extensive amount of time he has spent working with most of the men in assisting coaching positions for the Tar Heels.

"I think certainly everybody is to be complimented; the players, and equally as much the coaches," said Davis. "I wouldn't have expected anything less. I think the world of this coaching staff. They're outstanding coaches. They're good men. They know. That's one of the real unique privileges of having a lot of these guys I've been with before. You just know that they're going to go out and get the job done. I just trust them so much."

The Tar Heels are playing against one of America's most demanding schedules yet again this fall. Along with this week's game against South Carolina, ranked No. 7 in the AP poll, UNC has faced off against other ranked teams in South Florida (No. 5) and Virginia Tech (No. 12). For North Carolina's young squad, there is no greater initiation into what it takes to become an elite program than playing against such quality opposition.

"Anybody that's got a harder schedule than us, I don't want their schedule," said Davis. "All I know is that it seems like everybody we play is rated in the top 10 in defense or whatever, and I would suspect that it will continue to get at least as tough, if not tougher, as the season goes along, because you look down the line, which you don't like to do, but there's certainly a lot of good teams left on the schedule. It's a challenge. The schedule is who we have. Very rarely do you have much control over it, and a lot of times when games are scheduled 10 years in advance, you have no idea how good, how a team is going to be, so I kind of stick with the same adage about scheduling and teams during the season. This is more about our team."

"South Carolina is really good. I mean, they are as physically gifted as anybody that we'll probably play all year long," Davis added. "They are certainly a good football team, but it's a great way to kind of measure yourself. You get a chance to find out about yourself and your program, and matchups and everything. We've said that every week, from Virginia Tech, South Florida, and Miami; I mean, they've all been very good football teams."

Davis gave credit to USC head coach Steve Spurrier for his aggressiveness on offense, along with his teams' tendencies to confuse opposing defenses by lining up in multiple formations and doing different things out of the varying looks.

<!--Start Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('/IMAGES/Coach/PHOTO/STEVESPURRIER1-26.JPG', '', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Davis gave credit to USC head coach Steve Spurrier for his aggressiveness as a play caller.', 'Rivals.com', 1192192109000, '', 1014, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
STEVESPURRIER1-26.JPG
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Davis gave credit to USC head coach Steve Spurrier for his aggressiveness as a play caller.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Image-->"Historically, Steve does a great job of play calling. They really are aggressive," he said. "They will push the ball down the field more than some teams that you'll play. I mean, some teams are very content to try with the passing game, in some respects, as kind of an extension of their running game. A lot of teams just throw the ball short, underneath the coverage. He (Spurrier) will take shots. He's going to throw the ball down the field. He's going to challenge our secondary, and they'll mix it up. They'll give you multitudes of formations, and try to give you unusual things. You've got to be very, very prepared, you know, from the standpoint of all the unusual plays that they run, and the unusual formations that they'll do. So, you've got to be very schooled and very disciplined in that respect."

UNC's 33-27 victory over Miami last Saturday relieved some of the pressure off the Tar Heels, given the team's series of near-misses in September. At 2-4, the Tar Heels have some work to do to make a bowl game, but the team definitely has an extra jump in its step this week.

"Confidence? Maybe so. I think there's certainly a lot more enthusiasm," said Davis. "It's a little bit harder when you're not getting the win. Certainly the win brings a little bit of a spark of enthusiasm, and guys are anxious to get back to practice and those kinds of things. There is no tonic like a win."

The Tar Heels continue on this week despite multiple players being injured. Upperclassmen defenders Kendrick Williams and Chase Rice have already been lost for the season, while fellow contributors Scott Lenahan, Brooks Foster, and Cam Thomas have all missed game action as well with various ailments.

According to Davis, both Lenahan and Foster will be game time decisions on Saturday afternoon.

"They've already handled a tremendous amount of adversity. I mean, people don't talk a lot about it, but we played a lot of games with some guys who were nicked up," Davis said. "Last week we played without Scott Lenahan and Brooks Foster on offense. We played without some guys, losing Chase Rice and Cam Thomas; we had some guys go down on defense. Our coaches, I think they helped these young players kind of somewhat adjust to the adversity, and the challenges every week. They (Lenahan and Foster) did some practicing today, and in the NFL you would call this a "game day decision." It's not out of mystique or disguise. It's just how truly how much better can they get between now and 3:30 Saturday afternoon."

Due to some of their injuries, the Tar Heels did not play as many players on defense against Miami than Davis would have liked, which resulted in the Tar Heels who were playing getting gassed over the course of last week's contest. Davis is hoping to rectify that situation by getting more guys onto the field this weekend.

"One of the things, and I don't think it was a negative from the standpoint of an indictment on us about conditioning, but I know that one of the things, after looking at the tape a couple of times on Sunday and Monday, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, we didn't play enough guys defensively," he said. "Early in the year, when some of those defensive linemen had been healthier and stuff, we played anywhere from seven to nine guys. I think we only played like six last week, and I think they kind of got gassed and got a little bit tired. You'd like to be able to get some of those guys back into the game. Aleric Mullins, people didn't realize this, but he had to go back for a funeral, so he missed two days of practice. There was a lot of stuff that he wasn't really 100 percent on, so we were fortunate to get him in on a limited basis. With Cam Thomas's ankle being bad, it kind of put us down a little bit. Hopefully we'll get these guys back sometime soon."

Davis also addressed rumors that he might be considering changing North Carolina's traditional powder blue home uniforms with a new navy blue design. While he admitted that the Tar Heels are working with Nike to make some minor changes to the uniform, he indicated that he has no plans of changing the jersey color, or the helmets.

"There was something on a website or something, talking about that we were going to change the uniform (color), and that's totally erroneous," said Davis. "Next year we are going to change the uniform some. Nike, every three to five years, they give you an opportunity when you're under contract, to kind of tweak, and this year they let us fudge a little bit by doing the pants. We got a chance to kind of tweak the pants and stuff. We're going to always have Carolina Blue jerseys and helmets, and stuff like that. I wouldn't touch that helmet for anything. I think it's the best-looking helmet in college football."

Davis is pleased with the way North Carolina's running game has come on in recent weekends, allowing the Tar Heels to put a scare in Virginia Tech before helping UNC knock off Miami. He indicated that Anthony Elzy has established himself as the top choice at tailback, and the redshirt freshman figures to be in the starting lineup when the Tar Heels take the field against the Gamecocks.

"I think it (the running game) has gotten better, and it has been a deciding factor in helping us be much more competitive," he said. "It's allowed us to be much more balanced offensively, and there's still of plenty of areas to improve. We're not as good as we need to be. I think that we've definitely made some strides in the right direction. He (Elzy) has played very good. We hated the fact that he had the really bad ankle sprain early in the year, because it really limited him. He is a tough, physical runner, and if you're going to use an adjective to kind of describe him, he really runs strong and tough. Clearly right now (he's the No. 1). I still think it's probably going to be "running back by committee" for a while, but I think there's plenty of opportunities for all of them. Ryan (Houston) came in and had some really good runs last week, and Johnny (White) at the end."

If you take SC here, you can take some comfort in knowing that if SC is up by 2-6 points in the waning moments and has the ball, the Ol' Ball Coach will still try to score to get the cover for you. Not everyday you get that assurance with a favorite.

Back