Week 6 What Are We Learning

Alabama is a flawed team. Very unusual for a Saban team. I’m a fan but this team has a lot of issues
If Milroe doesn't put it on the ground twice, it's a very different game. I mean, they are flawed for sure, but this is still a playoff caliber team, assuming Bryce comes back

The line next week
I imagine it will be Alabama -10.5 or so unless Bryce is ruled out. I doubt the linesmakers will be as reactionary as all the pundits will be when they all start predicting a Tennessee double digit victory. I would feel pretty confident in predicting a Tennessee win with Milroe at QB. A healthy Bryce will shred that defense, then it will just depend on if the defense can get enough stops

If Milroe doesn't put it on the ground twice, it's a very different game. I mean, they are flawed for sure, but this is still a playoff caliber team, assuming Bryce comes back
Even with Bryce they haven’t been super impressive. Trust me, I’m a fan. I really am rooting for them. But this team is very flawed. They might make the playoff, but that’s far from a given.

Even with Bryce they haven’t been super impressive. Trust me, I’m a fan. I really am rooting for them. But this team is very flawed. They might make the playoff, but that’s far from a given.
Sure, but what team isn’t flawed?

It was nice to see some good, entertaining football games again in the Big 12 and PAC 10.

Interim coaches ruled the day. Will Auburn follow suit?

Virginia gave up 34 points to a Louisville team missing its starting quarterback and its other top offensive playmakers. And as usual Virginia also failed to reach 20 points. This is a very disheartening team with no real home field advantage. Gotta look to fade this team especially at home where the spread will be easier to cover.

I don’t mean just flawed in 1 or 2 aspects. They are undisciplined, turnover prone, not great defensively, special teams are inconsistent, wide receivers are very young, etc, etc.
The undisciplined part is concerning and has been for the last couple of seasons. Outside of last night, I haven’t seen anything with turnovers that is too bad, other than we haven’t forced many this year. I do think the defense is a top 5 unit nationally this year, so don’t really see that as a problem. The missed FGs last night are hopefully an aberration, Reichard has been great his whole career. It’s actually been the veteran WR that have been disappointing this year with the drops. We’ve been spoiled with 1st round talent at that position for a decade, and for whatever reason, the guys we’ve recruited there haven’t developed like you’d expect.

I think last night was just one of those nights where everything seemed to go wrong. We’ve had them in the past and we usually lost. I thought we whipped aTm on both lines of scrimmage, so that is a positive moving forward. OL has been much better since the Texas game. Yes it’s true that we need our best player to win championships this season, I don’t think there are too many teams where that’s not true.

I think the “unusual” thing about this Alabama team is that they didn’t come out of the gates as a finished product like we’ve seen nearly every year. This year we are more like most normal teams that get better as the season progresses, assuming some injury luck. I don’t think Bill O’Brien is a great fit for this team, and especially without Bryce at QB. His play calling has the imagination and creativity of a rock.

I'd rank OSU #1 now. Definitely wide open this year as GA Bama beatable

few have mentioned already. Nebraska GT Wisconsin all playing hard after coaching change

i thought about Hawaii at 23.5 but couldn't. But should have known SDSU couldn't even score that.

has there ever been a worse cf conference, relatively strength speaking, than the Mountain West this year. Awful teams.

AF huge disappointment. No more RSW bets for me. AF was my lock at O8.5 and that will likely lose.

Gundy is incredible. Let’s be honest. LSU has flirted with him for eons.

Almost wonder…..

Okie Lite just stays around. Like Iowa but better
Hard to believe it's been 15 years since the I'm a man, I'm 40 rant. I sure as hell didn't believe he'd still be in Stillwater 15 years after that.

Gundy is incredible. Let’s be honest. LSU has flirted with him for eons.

Almost wonder…..

Okie Lite just stays around. Like Iowa but better
One of the best coaches in the country, and one of the most interesting

People have forgotten that Okla State was a losing team most of their history. Now and then they would have a good year when they happened to snag a great coach on his way up, but for 100 years Okla A&M and then Okla State was a bottom feeder.

Now Gundy comes along and they are good EVERY year. And they do it with overlooked high school players they coach and develop and turn into stars. I can't even recall the last time Oklahoma State got an in-state player Oklahoma wanted. It just doesn't happen. There was a big story a few years back when Holder, the AD at the time, said, "I wish Mike would sign some four star and five star players." Gundy just laughed and said, "We learned long ago not to waste time on high school stars everyone wants because we can't get them. If Mike Holder knows of any who want to come here all he has to do is let me know."

No one thought Okla State could ever have a run of success like Gundy has had. And he did it while he was constantly feuding with the president and AD. He thought he should get better budgets with all the success he was having, but they always refused to raise the budgets enough for him to keep assistants around when elite schools offered them raises. Now there is a new president and AD and Gundy has the best situation by light years he has ever had. With Oklahoma and Texas leaving the three of them agree Oklahoma State should become the power of the conference

Yep I have so much more respect for the coaches like Gundy who elevated mediocre programs above their rivals who have 10x the resources. Gundy, Clawson, wittingham, leach, etc…for Gundy to do it pretty consistently for 15+ years is remarkable
I don't know that I'd say that Okie St is lacking for resources, but your point remains

Saw a new star revealed Saturday. Morton, the third string QB Texas Tech played against Oklahoma State. Don't know why they didn't play him before Saturday, but that kid is the real deal.

Texas Tech has become one of the most entertaining teams in college football and McGuire, the long-time Texas high school coach they elevated to the top job, gets all the credit. He has them playing hard every play and playing tough and smart every play as well. They play one of the fastest paces in football and they go for it on fourth down more than anyone. They played Oklahoma State even that entire game. They'll be a live bet all season

Coaches come and go, but Kansas State always has the same DNA--tough, hard nosed, makes few mistakes, almost everyone on the roster has a chip on their shoulder because none of the big schools thought they could even play college ball, and run the QB more than anyone. The game against Iowa State was not as close as the final score indicated. They had a TD and a long return both called back, and K State had one guy running into the end zone for a TD and shifted into his Saturday Hero touchdown trot and an Iowa State guy dived and hit the ball and knocked it loose for a touch back.

Very unlike Kansas State. They don't like showboating. During that craze about a decade ago when players started taking their helmets off after any big play one of the K State players did that after he scored and Snyder made him practice the whole following week without a helmet.

Things look hopeless at OU and Venables appears helpless. On Sunday he used the excuse the players look worn down and tired. Wow, what a shock. The reason Riley fired Schmidt--the strength coach who doesn't realize there has been a single improvement in nutrition and fitness in the last 40 years--the minute he got the OU job was because he wore the players down every year. Venables brought him back and sure enough the players are tired and have nothing left by the fourth quarter.

That was an eye-opening comment from Venables about the players fitness.
Especially in view of how this current staff has never quit talking about how now that they are in charge all those lazy habits the players had under Riley will be a thing of the past because the new staff has made them tough and worked them so hard they are back in top football shape.

Last edited:
Don't see an injury thread so I'll put it on this thread:

Arkansas QB back practicing and expected to play Saturday

Ibraham, one of the best backs in the country, expected back for Minnesota Saturday

Illinois QB hurt, questionable for Saturday

Tillman expected back at WR for Tennessee Saturday

Texas Tech is the only team to have run over 500 plays this year, 523 to be exact in 6 games. UTEP is #2, but they have played 7 games. TT has run 45 more plays than the next team having completed 6 games. TT is averaging 87.16 plays per game and have gone over 100 plays 3x. This past week vs Ok St was the first time they did it in 4 quarters instead of their two OT games. TT outgained Ok State by 93 yards this week.

Northwestern is averaging 3 lost turnovers per game since week 0. They have lost 16 on the season. Two other teams have lost 16, UTEP in 7 games and UTah State in 6. These teams do occasionally get some turnovers leaving Stanford and Temple as the two worst TO margin teams at over -2 per game.

Last week UTEP outgained La Tech by 121 yards but lost by 10 (UTEP lost 4 TOs, LaTech lost 2). LaTech had 17 pts off turnovers including a pick-six. UTEP only converted 1 of their 2 gained TOs into pts (7).

Northern Illinois outgained Toledo 424-349, but NIU threw 4 INTs and Toledo ret'd 2 of them for INT. All 4 were picked off by Quinyon Mitchell.

Tulsa turned it over 4x, which Navy converted 3 on short fields to 17 pts. Navy's 53 pts scored matches their 4 game combined total pts scored coming into last week.

Wake Forest outgained Army 488-407, yet won 45-10. Army fumbled at the WF09, SOD at WF33, threw INT from the WF20, missed a FG and kicked a FG from the WF16

Virginia ran for 6 yards on Louisville. LV had been allowing 159.4 ypg rushing

After scoring 0 pts 2H vs Tulsa and 3 pts 2H vs UK, Ole Miss made up for it with 35 2H pts vs Vandy including the game covering TD when Ole Miss very easily and politely should've taken a knee, but instead hurried to score TD in final seconds.

East Carolina outgained Tulane, but lost 9-24. ECU was -2 TOs and threw INT from the T24 after a 70y drive and at their own 46. Tulane converted TOs into 10pts. ECU also kicked FG from T10, missed a FG from the T29 and were SOD at the T32 and T22.

Texas State dominated the 1H vs App State and led 24-3 HT. Then Texas State got a 94y pick-six on the first possession of the 3rd Q to extend the lead to 30-3! App scored 15 of the next 18 pts then were SOD at the T39 and T06. Tx St added another FG and App St scored on the final play of the game :00 left and did not attempt xpt (would've mattered for 2H line). App State outgained them 436-334

Oregon State did outgain Stanford 442-369 including a 192-90 rushing edge, but needed that miracle game winning TD I'm sure you've seen now. Beavers made and missed FGs from just outside of the RZ after a pair of 50+y drives. Their final game winning drive went for 76 yards with a 56y TD catch/run.

USC only outgained Washington State by 53y but won by 16 pts

Hawaii took a 14-13 lead with just 1:19 left, but they couldn't hold it as SD St short passed their way down the field for a 16-14 win. The Aztec kicker missed his first attempt, but a timeout was called. He then made the one that counted.

Virginia Tech O scored their most pts vs Pitt, 29, and the Hokies topped 400y of O for the first time this season vs FBS opponent. Entering this game VT O was averaging just 279.5 in 4 FBS games. Now, the VT D did allow Pitt RB Israel Abanikanda to break Tony D's single game rushing record with 320y.

The Akron O was up for the task vs a very depleted Ohio secondary. Zips put up 478 yards and 34 pts. Ohio O was unstoppable however with 561y and 55 pts of their own. Zips QB set a school record with 43 completions (54 attempts). Ohio had a 13y fumble return TD as well.

FSU outgained NC State 387-307. FSU's last two possessions ended on INTs including one in the EZ with just :38 left. NC State threw their own INT in FSU territory and scored just 1-of-4 TDs in the RZ while kicking 3 short FGs.

New Mexico slightly outgained Wyoming 319-304, but Lobos were -3 TOs including a game ending pick-six creating the 27-14 Wyoming win. Wyoming also got a FG after failing to gain a FD after NM muffed a punt.

Nevada outgained Colorado STate 358-255...CSU led 14-0 with both TDs being scored on D, a 21y pick-six and a 50y fumble recovery. In fact on their first 8 possessions of the game CSU advanced no further than the N38.

Ohio State won 49-20 and had a 614-202 yard edge. MSU had a 32y pick-six and an 80y garbage time TD drive when Buckeyes were leading 49-13.

Kent State again struggled to score in the 1H. They have scored just 7 points each vs Ohio and Miami Oh the last two weeks. In fact they scored 13 points each in the 1H vs Georgia and Washington. Kent is not living up to their potential vs MAC opponents.

Last edited:
Texas Tech is the only team to have run over 500 plays this year, 523 to be exact in 6 games. UTEP is #2, but they have played 7 games. TT has run 45 more plays than the next team having completed 6 games. TT is averaging 87.16 plays per game and have gone over 100 plays 3x. This past week vs Ok St was the first time they did it in 4 quarters instead of their two OT games. TT outgained Ok State by 93 yards this week.

Northwestern is averaging 3 lost turnovers per game since week 0. They have lost 16 on the season. Two other teams have lost 16, UTEP in 7 games and UTah State in 6. These teams do occasionally get some turnovers leaving Stanford and Temple as the two worst TO margin teams at over -2 per game.

Last week UTEP outgained La Tech by 121 yards but lost by 10 (UTEP lost 4 TOs, LaTech lost 2). LaTech had 17 pts off turnovers including a pick-six. UTEP only converted 1 of their 2 gained TOs into pts (7).

Northern Illinois outgained Toledo 424-349, but NIU threw 4 INTs and Toledo ret'd 2 of them for INT. All 4 were picked off by Quinyon Mitchell.

Tulsa turned it over 4x, which Navy converted 3 on short fields to 17 pts. Navy's 53 pts scored matches their 4 game combined total pts scored coming into last week.

Wake Forest outgained Army 488-407, yet won 45-10. Army fumbled at the WF09, SOD at WF33, threw INT from the WF20, missed a FG and kicked a FG from the WF16

Virginia ran for 6 yards on Louisville. LV had been allowing 159.4 ypg rushing

After scoring 0 pts 2H vs Tulsa and 3 pts 2H vs UK, Ole Miss made up for it with 35 2H pts vs Vandy including the game covering TD when Ole Miss very easily and politely should've taken a knee, but instead hurried to score TD in final seconds.

East Carolina outgained Tulane, but lost 9-24. ECU was -2 TOs and threw INT from the T24 after a 70y drive and at their own 46. Tulane converted TOs into 10pts. ECU also kicked FG from T10, missed a FG from the T29 and were SOD at the T32 and T22.

Texas State dominated the 1H vs App State and led 24-3 HT. Then Texas State got a 94y pick-six on the first possession of the 3rd Q to extend the lead to 30-3! App scored 15 of the next 18 pts then were SOD at the T39 and T06. Tx St added another FG and App St scored on the final play of the game :00 left and did not attempt xpt (would've mattered for 2H line). App State outgained them 436-334

Oregon State did outgain Stanford 442-369 including a 192-90 rushing edge, but needed that miracle game winning TD I'm sure you've seen now. Beavers made and missed FGs from just outside of the RZ after a pair of 50+y drives. Their final game winning drive went for 76 yards with a 56y TD catch/run.

USC only outgained Washington State by 53y but won by 16 pts

Hawaii took a 14-13 lead with just 1:19 left, but they couldn't hold it as SD St short passed their way down the field for a 16-14 win. The Aztec kicker missed his first attempt, but a timeout was called. He then made the one that counted.

Virginia Tech O scored their most pts vs Pitt, 29, and the Hokies topped 400y of O for the first time this season vs FBS opponent. Entering this game VT O was averaging just 279.5 in 4 FBS games. Now, the VT D did allow Pitt RB Israel Abanikanda to break Tony D's single game rushing record with 320y.

The Akron O was up for the task vs a very depleted Ohio secondary. Zips put up 478 yards and 34 pts. Ohio O was unstoppable however with 561y and 55 pts of their own. Zips QB set a school record with 43 completions (54 attempts). Ohio had a 13y fumble return TD as well.

FSU outgained NC State 387-307. FSU's last two possessions ended on INTs including one in the EZ with just :38 left. NC State threw their own INT in FSU territory and scored just 1-of-4 TDs in the RZ while kicking 3 short FGs.

New Mexico slightly outgained Wyoming 319-304, but Lobos were -3 TOs including a game ending pick-six creating the 27-14 Wyoming win. Wyoming also got a FG after failing to gain a FD after NM muffed a punt.

Nevada outgained Colorado STate 358-255...CSU led 14-0 with both TDs being scored on D, a 21y pick-six and a 50y fumble recovery. In fact on their first 8 possessions of the game CSU advanced no further than the N38.

Ohio State won 49-20 and had a 614-202 yard edge. MSU had a 32y pick-six and an 80y garbage time TD drive when Buckeyes were leading 49-13.

Kent State again struggled to score in the 1H. They have scored just 7 points each vs Ohio and Miami Oh the last two weeks. In fact they scored 13 points each in the 1H vs Georgia and Washington. Kent is not living up to their potential vs MAC opponents.
Oklahoma State/Texas Tech was an even game to me. I had Oklahoma State so I lucked out a win, but Tech could just as easily have won that game.

Miracle is the right word for that Oregon State game winner. Even worse, there was a blatant face mask by the Oregon St receiver that made it possible. He had a firm grip on the Stanford DB's face mask and held him immobile while he jumped over him and grabbed the ball

Four early bets so far--Tennessee +8, Clemson -3x, Clemson ML (-168), Syracuse ML (-164). I can't find any injuries for Clemson, but that line looks way too low to me. Made the Tennessee bet before I found out their best safety is probably going to be held out because of the criminal charge. Lean to USC, but will probably pass. Utah is double tough at home and this is their game of the year.

UCF only outgained SMU 484-476, but won 41-19! SMU led 13-10 HT. Ponies twice turned it over just inside UCF territory and kicked FGs from the CF15 and CF07 in the 1H. Those blown opporunities cost them as UCF awoke in the 2H to outscore them 31-6. SMU was SOD 3x in the 2H, once in their own territory (UCF got no pts out of that) and twice in UCF territory (29 and 19 yard lines).

Central Michigan outgained Ball St 340-250, but Ball St won 17-16. Ball St O started very slow with net negative yardage on their first 5 possession due to a big sack/fumble. CM D's 3 sacks accounted for 40 lost yards for Ball St. Each team lost 2 fumbles a piece and each team had a TD off a turnover. Central Mich got a fumble recovery at the B03 after a sack giving them a 10-0 lead. Ball St had a 4y fumble return TD. Each team had a SOD possession in scoring position, CM at the B22 and Ball St at the C01. And each team missed a FG.

It was like a comedy of errors for Bowling Green vs Buffalo. BG threw an INT on their first possession and quicklty trailed 0-17. At the end of the 1H, BG finally put a drive together getting to the UB06 with a first-goal, but would ultimately settle for a FGA from the UB07, which they faked, an awful embarrassing holder-pitch to kicker that went horribly wrong and Buffalo scooped and scored it, however that was called back by penalty and UB would be SOD that possession. Later in the 1H, BG was running in for an apparent TD, but they fumbled at the 1 yard line and two plays later Buffalo got a 92y TD run out of it! 24-0 at this point and 31-0 HT. Early 2H, BG fumbled at the UB03 and the Bulls returned that 97y for a TD! That is 3 occassions BG was inside the Buffalo 10 yard line and not only got zero pts, but Buffalo converted them for 14 of their own points! Buffalo did outgain them 466-380, but that yardage is not indicative of the 38-7 score.

Missouri outgained Florida 370-293, but lost 17-24. FL ST had a 48y punt return setting up a short field FG and their D had a 49y pick-six and after the 1Q, FL led 10-0, but Missouri had outgained them 107-32 with FL only having 1 FD. Mizzou tied it at HT and was outgaining them 196 to 65 at that point, FDs in the 1H were 11 to 3 for Tigers. In the 2H Florida found their O and Mizzou's second INT was thrown from the FL16 to the FL04. Gators did have 13 TFLs.

Georgia Tech won 23-20 in OT, but they outgained Duke 412-278. GT had to twice kick FGs from the D06 and D04 after long drives. Duke was INT'd at the G08 3rd Q. GT led 20-6 when Duke got a 81y punt return TD in the 4th Q, then Duke went 14p 80y for the game tying TD with :08 left. In OT GT made a FG and Duke missed theirs after an O PI call forced them to kick from the 34.

FIU actually outgained UConn 409-402 but lost 12-33. FIU had two empty possessions to the UC22 and UC34 end in turnovers after a combined 94 yards of O. UConn had no such trouble scoring, leading 20-0 HT and 26-7. FIU was SOD three straight times to end the game including one at the UC05.

Cincy's first and last plays of the 1H were INTs. The first one was on a deep pass into USF territory and USF did get a FG out of that to lead 10-0 early. South Florida led Cincinnati 17-14 at HT and 24-21 in the 4th Q. Cincy took the lead just under 10min left. USF would be SOD 4th-1 at the C25 with 5min to go and Cincy ran out the clock. USF outrushed Cincy 224-221 on only 6 more rush attempts. For the game Cincy outgained them 414-363.

UCF only outgained SMU 484-476, but won 41-19! SMU led 13-10 HT. Ponies twice turned it over just inside UCF territory and kicked FGs from the CF15 and CF07 in the 1H. Those blown opporunities cost them as UCF awoke in the 2H to outscore them 31-6. SMU was SOD 3x in the 2H, once in their own territory (UCF got no pts out of that) and twice in UCF territory (29 and 19 yard lines).

Central Michigan outgained Ball St 340-250, but Ball St won 17-16. Ball St O started very slow with net negative yardage on their first 5 possession due to a big sack/fumble. CM D's 3 sacks accounted for 40 lost yards for Ball St. Each team lost 2 fumbles a piece and each team had a TD off a turnover. Central Mich got a fumble recovery at the B03 after a sack giving them a 10-0 lead. Ball St had a 4y fumble return TD. Each team had a SOD possession in scoring position, CM at the B22 and Ball St at the C01. And each team missed a FG.

It was like a comedy of errors for Bowling Green vs Buffalo. BG threw an INT on their first possession and quicklty trailed 0-17. At the end of the 1H, BG finally put a drive together getting to the UB06 with a first-goal, but would ultimately settle for a FGA from the UB07, which they faked, an awful embarrassing holder-pitch to kicker that went horribly wrong and Buffalo scooped and scored it, however that was called back by penalty and UB would be SOD that possession. Later in the 1H, BG was running in for an apparent TD, but they fumbled at the 1 yard line and two plays later Buffalo got a 92y TD run out of it! 24-0 at this point and 31-0 HT. Early 2H, BG fumbled at the UB03 and the Bulls returned that 97y for a TD! That is 3 occassions BG was inside the Buffalo 10 yard line and not only got zero pts, but Buffalo converted them for 14 of their own points! Buffalo did outgain them 466-380, but that yardage is not indicative of the 38-7 score.

Missouri outgained Florida 370-293, but lost 17-24. FL ST had a 48y punt return setting up a short field FG and their D had a 49y pick-six and after the 1Q, FL led 10-0, but Missouri had outgained them 107-32 with FL only having 1 FD. Mizzou tied it at HT and was outgaining them 196 to 65 at that point, FDs in the 1H were 11 to 3 for Tigers. In the 2H Florida found their O and Mizzou's second INT was thrown from the FL16 to the FL04. Gators did have 13 TFLs.

Georgia Tech won 23-20 in OT, but they outgained Duke 412-278. GT had to twice kick FGs from the D06 and D04 after long drives. Duke was INT'd at the G08 3rd Q. GT led 20-6 when Duke got a 81y punt return TD in the 4th Q, then Duke went 14p 80y for the game tying TD with :08 left. In OT GT made a FG and Duke missed theirs after an O PI call forced them to kick from the 34.

FIU actually outgained UConn 409-402 but lost 12-33. FIU had two empty possessions to the UC22 and UC34 end in turnovers after a combined 94 yards of O. UConn had no such trouble scoring, leading 20-0 HT and 26-7. FIU was SOD three straight times to end the game including one at the UC05.

Cincy's first and last plays of the 1H were INTs. The first one was on a deep pass into USF territory and USF did get a FG out of that to lead 10-0 early. South Florida led Cincinnati 17-14 at HT and 24-21 in the 4th Q. Cincy took the lead just under 10min left. USF would be SOD 4th-1 at the C25 with 5min to go and Cincy ran out the clock. USF outrushed Cincy 224-221 on only 6 more rush attempts. For the game Cincy outgained them 414-363.
SMU is suspect and I won't be on them at all. I've seen it happen over and over through the years. A team like SMU plays at a high level and the coach gets rewarded with a big contract at a new school. The old school has all the players back, but hires a guy who has never been a head coach before, and each game of the season they regress a little as the efficiency and precision the old coach installed wears off.

And the team the old coach moved to usually gets a little better each game, as we see happening at TCU.

More injury updates:

Catalon, the best DB by far for Arkansas is out v. BYU and they already had trouble against the pass

Greg McElroy says, "based on what I have heard" Young will play Saturday

Addison, all-American last year at Pitt, is likely out for USC v. Utah

I may have jumped the gun on Tennessee WR Tillman. I heard he was likely this week, but he's still officially listed as questionable

Leary out for NC State v. Syracuse

First and second string RBs out for Coastal Carolina

Back