-week 6 nfl-

broadwayjoe

May 5Dimes MLB 2nd place
update the record in later, in a hurry. staying away from big plays cuz i've been burnt, but like atl, houst, sf the best...

Raiders +7/ML +250

Colts -3.5

Lions +13

Falcons +3/ML +120

Texans -3

Rams +13/ML +450

Niners +4.5/ML +175

Cards +4.5/ML +175

Seahawks -1

Chargers 1h -3

complete monday night thoughts and write-up to come...will be my biggest play of the year

GL:cheers:

sick day man. Very nice hits with STL, ATL, and Zona MLs. Your Browns 2m? Really liking them in their superbowl. thoughts?

10 units - Browns +9
2 units - Browns ML +300

first of all, i will attempt to build some credibility as a homer, although i realize it prob won't matter to some anyways. i think it's fine to be a homer if you have success betting on and against your teams because you follow them closer and read more information on them...only makes sense. if you let your biases get to you it's not good to bet your teams, but i think the success i've had with it proves that i don't (at least usually). secondly, i think to bet your home team with success, it has to be consistent with the type of game and spot you usually play, which if you follow my posts at all, you know that it certainly is in line with the types of spots and games that i like. for example if the browns as a 7 pt favorite on the road (which isn't going to happen this year haha) was my biggest bet of the year, that wouldn't be consistent with my strengths and the way i normally place wagers. i very rarely make plays over 3 units (usually around 3 or 4 a year in each sport). my only play over 3 units this year has been the browns at home vs the steelers. i had four plays over 3 units last year in the nba, three of them were cavs plays and all four of them won. here's what should be some proof that i don't let biases get to me:

cavs last year:

bet against 17 times; going 11-6 65%
bet ON 21 times; going 14-7 66%

bucks this year:

bet against 2 times; going 2-0
bet ON 1 time; going 0-1

browns this year:

bet against 1 time; going 1-0
bet ON 3 times; going 2-1

tribe, i don't have the exact numbers, but i've ONLY faded them this past year, and i didn't play bases after the break, so i would think my winning percentage has been pretty good...

i am going to go through the matchups and things like that, but i'd like this "write-up" to be a little different offering a different perspective of my team that some of you may completely disagree with (even other browns fans i'm sure will), so i'm going to focus on that purpose here.

i think that the browns fans and the media for that matter haven't had a good grasp of this team dating back to the beginning of last year. bottom line, they were an average, mediocre, improving team during that time period, with some glaring weaknesses. a 7-9, 8-8 type team. they were that last year, and they are that this year. the same fans that overreacted with how good they were last year are overreacting to how bad they are this year. i have a browns thread out there, and i projected them at 2-2 right now. i didn't think they'd play as badly as they have offensively, but with their schedule, if you thought they were going to be any better than 2-2 you're an idiot. i thought they'd upset the cowboys but once again romeo didn't have his team ready for an opener. romeo then blew the game single handedly with clock mismanagement vs pitt. jerome harrison falling on a fumble instead of trying to grab a greased pig would have helped too, but bottom line some very small things happen in that pitt game and they ARE 2-2. you can blame da and the offense if you want, but i blame romeo. and that ravens game was close until the turnovers. so they've clearly played bad at times, however they've had a tough schedule playing 3 divisional games (2 on the road) and the cowboys. they've been ravaged by injuries, a lot of which aren't a problem anymore. and people say "every team has to deal with injuries" and i absolutely agree. but the browns' weakness as i said throughout my preview of them on here was their depth. if you have depth as your weakness and you have to deal with injuries, it's obviously a lot tougher to overcome those injuries. they didn't have to deal with virtually ANY last year, so this weakness was covered up, but this year it was exploited. i'm so sick of qb controversy it's ridiculous. if you actually watched the games and aren't brainwashed by the fascination of brady (which in itself is ridiculous, go back and watch some of quinn's big games and all the throws he's missed and tell me he's going to "save the browns"...this is just as stupid as holcomb/couch...couch was the "only reason" why we couldn't get over the hump, and when holcomb was given the chance he was passed around to several teams and is a sideline reporter now)...you will see that DA's qb rating (by far the worst statistic in all of sports) is grossly flawed. he's had two tds flat out dropped. out of his interceptions, EXACTLY two of them were his fault. he has a #1 receiver that's grossly underperformed leading the league in drops, a #2 and #3 receiver that have been out (#3 led the league in 3rd down receptions last year), and an oline that hasn't been together for even 1 out of the first 4 games. no qb has had even one of those three things i have just mentioned happen to him, let alone all three simultaneously. DA is not a great qb, but he's good and can be good for a long time. if brady would have played the way DA has even with the struggles, dumbass browns fans would be excited as hell. i do have knocks on DA and they are leadership related, for example he hangs his head after a mistake, etc...but a lot of those probs have to do with playing to not lose his job, something that is unprecedented for a probowl appearance in his first year as a fulltime starter. he' also too aggressive at times and gets impatient, but that will improve with time (he's only started 1 fuckin year!). people will say that defenses have him figured out and all that bullshit, and point to his numbers, but they're wrong. numbers don't mean shit if you don't know how to read between them. those that think brady will make us a better team are wrong. maybe in the short term 1-3 weeks when he gives us a jolt, but bottom line, he can't make nfl throws. da can. he can be coached on the rest and leadership will come when he gets a coach that believes in discipline and gives him a chance to be a leader. brady's arm will never be more accurate or strong enough to be a starter in the nfl and be a winner. period. you will see a big game here from da with his line back and his #2 back. i don't think ppl realize how much they had gameplanned around stallworth. several short pass packages relied on him, and you can't duplicate that with steptoe (who by the way caused 2 of da's picks by running wrong routes). this will open up the offense quite a bit, by getting braylon downfield and the tight ends on intermediate routes. it will give an actual threat of someone besides braylon, allowing him to be much more productive again (if he can fuckin catch). it will also allow us to run the ball more effectively. we also have a cribbs package similar to the ronnie brown one (only he has an arm better than da's or brady's) which you will see tonight. there is also an emphasis on doing more tight end motion to create matchups (if k2 doesn't play, it's huge, but heiden is a good pass catching te and a better blocker, so i don't expect them to change the motion part too much, just the progressions). quick passes to stallworth will help the healthier line look a lot better against these pass rushers. we are also a good screen team, so i expect a few big plays on screens to lewis and harrison. the bye week is huge to practice all of these things. and they will pull out all the stops with jobs on the line. this is very much the browns super bowl as sf capper mentioned. and how do the giants not come into this game with a high head after beating the shit out of a below average seahawks team last week. in fact, the giants have caught every team in bad spots so far, playing really nobody except the skins, who were a different offense in week 1...hell they didn't even have a 2 minute offense that week. this time they're catching the a team in one of the best possible spots, playing desperate off a bye with a lot of players getting healthy. this line is just way out of control. i thought that even if the browns were 2-2 coming into this game, it'd be 3.5. and as i mentioned they're very close to being 2-2. the offense has played bad, but people who have faith in this giants secondary are seeing something that i'm just not seeing. if da has even relative time, he'll throw for 300 tonight. plenty of holes that i see that i'd be licking my chops at. and i think we'll be able to run the ball too. the crowd will help us stop the run, which will be our biggest problem. special teams are advantage browns i don't care what anyone says. cribbs not only takes over the return game, but is the best special teams player on kickoff too, and he'll be a big part of stopping the giants' explosive return game. interesting to see how big of a factor burress is after all of this, because i think he can hurt us. any team with wr depth hurts us, which the giants certainly have. i also expect a couple of turnovers from manning though because he usually struggles with teams with fast linebackers. this defense is quietly the 10th ranked defense in the nfl. are the stats skewed there too? of course, but i think it means that the defense is at least improved. these linebackers are talented despite media perception and they have been called out. i expect that with the crowd behind them they will step up and expect andra davis to have a big game. wimbley blows, but maybe alex hall's presence will help him. regardless, i see a case of overrated vs underrated, a line that's way off, a desperate team at home off a bye playing for jobs while the whole town has virtually quit on them (heard on sports talk yesterday that most people will be happy if the browns don't get thoroughly embarrassed by 40+), public perception on both teams that is flat out wrong imo. think about it, WITH more injuries, the browns/cowboys line opened up at 3...of course it did adjust and the public pounded the cowboys up a few points, but it opened at 3...i know because i bet it at 3. now a healthier team that is playing desperate rather than scared is 9 to a team that may be 2 points better than the cowboys on a neutral field. explain to me how there is value on the giants here? browns win su, 27-21.

i'd also like to point out some key injuries...

pierce, the biggest part of that defense is questionable with a quad,

hixon who killed us in preseason will play but has been limited in practice

mckenzie has been limited in practice (probable)

mcquarters and thomas at corner are just getting healthy, not on the injury report and have practiced, but both have been banged up recently

With ya here Joe. Wish Winslow was playing but heiden is the type of blue collar guy who given the chance has made some plays in the past . Not the ability of Winslow obviously but the type of guy who gets lost or forgotten about in coverage and wont drop a wide open pass like the young Dallas TE did yesterday .

Expecting a low scoring slugfest with a high number of FG attempts...

browns injuries...they do some fucked up shit with their injury report but here's the info i've gathered

i capped the game as winslow isn't playing, but he's the type that if there's any way he can he will...no idea what's wrong with him, but here's the latest... http://nationalpost.pa-sportsticker.com/default.aspx?s=nfl-news-display&nid=A21884301223839009A

tucker - expected to go...full practice participation

shaun smith - expected to go; hand injury has limited practice

shaffer - concussion questionable; did not participate in practice most of this week (he's been underperforming quite a bit this year imo)

stallworth, adams, rogers, sean jones, and jason wright all probable and have seen action in practice...stallworth has played with 1st unit all week, jones is likely in the worst shape to play as he's been out several weeks(and i have no idea what everyone sees in him, but i believe adams is better; think he's been overrated for quite some time)

appreciate the time bro...alot of good stuff..

I like Cle tonight and the value lies on your side...I'm a situational guy and this is a great spot..

But you lost me here:
if da has even relative time, he'll throw for 300 tonight

This is a homer comment man..he's thrown for 114, 166, 125, and 138 yds so far this year...he threw for under 200 yds in three of the last four games last year..only game he threw for more was 251 vs Cincy in a game he threw four picks...

Yes Stallworth helps, but losing Winslow in the passing game hurts....it's not all DA's fault, but I watched every sec of the Bengals game three weeks back and this coordinator has lost all faith in D.A....they threw on first down I believe twice the entire game...living at 3 and 8 is hard to deal with...esp when Winslow doesn't go...only way d.a. is successful (over 200 yds in my mind) is if Lewis has some success on the ground...and saying "if" DA has time doesn't make me warm and fuzzy when you are facing a team that gets after the QB like NYG does...the coordinator falls in bad patterns too and refuses to use playaction when Lewis does get going..it's just so obvious they have no confidence in the QB or the passing game...hopefully Stallworth and Steinbach etc help that...

Beyond all that, good thoughts....I'll be on CLE small and am very interested to see what Stallworth brings to the offense...I think JJ is the much more important cog they are missing..but losing a Winslow who had 82 catches last year and led the team and not having a 50 catch guy still hurts a ton...

I just don't think you can play this spot heavy though..you say Eli will turn it over a couple times...based on what? he's been great with the ball and I think this could be a field position game...

All that said go Brownies..hope you cash that ticket.

Giants at Browns: Five things to watch Ridenour breaks down Monday night matchup
By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal sports writer
POSTED: 03:28 p.m. EDT, Oct 11, 2008
1. Giants running game vs. Browns defense.
The Giants pit the league's No. 1 rushing attack against a defense ranked 22nd in that category. Running back Brandon Jacobs, 6-foot-4 and 264 pounds, gave free safety Brodney Pool a concussion in a preseason game Aug. 18 at the Meadowlands. As Browns coach Romeo Crennel observed, ''Jacobs is an offensive lineman with speed. You get him started with that body lean, it's hard for one guy to tackle him.'' Jacobs ranks 10th in the league in rushing with 380 yards, but his 5.8 yards per carry is the lowest of the Giants' top three backs. Derrick Ward (217 yards) and Ahmad Bradshaw (119 yards) average 6.6 yards per carry. After finishing last season ranked 27th against the run, Browns defenders think they're improving weekly. ''From the Cowboys game to where we are right now, we've made pretty good strides,'' linebacker D'Qwell Jackson said. ''Every day [defensive coordinator] Mel [Tucker] emphasizes techniques and fundamentals and understanding what we do. He's up there in the guys' [faces] asking questions. Right now I feel pretty comfortable. This is a big test for us.''
2. Plaxico Burress.
The Giants' star receiver was suspended for last week's game against the Seahawks for missing a meeting and not contacting the team. Burress said he was taking his son to school for what he described as a family emergency and didn't second-guess himself despite the consequences. ''Football is the best temporary job I am ever going to have in my life and my family is going to be here forever,'' Burress said last week. Burress, who has become quarterback Eli Manning's favorite target since signing as an unrestricted free agent from Pittsburgh in 2005, has 18 catches for 259 yards (14.4 average) and one touchdown in three games. He said he felt he let the team down by his action and might want to make up for it against Browns' second-year cornerbacks Brandon McDonald and Eric Wright.
3. Browns nose tackle Shaun Rogers vs. Giants center Shaun O'Hara.
Cleveland's most talented defender, Rogers leads the Browns in sacks (two) and is tied for third in tackles (22). If the Browns have any hope of slowing down Jacobs, it likely will fall to Rogers, 6-4 and 350 pounds, who was limited in practice last week with a shoulder injury. Much of the task of slowing down Rogers will fall to O'Hara, who made the Browns as an undrafted rookie free agent from Rutgers in 2000. O'Hara, who has started his past 97 games, signed a five-year, $19 million contract in March, 2007 that included a $7.5 million signing bonus.
4. Browns quarterback Derek Anderson.
ESPN's Tony Kornheiser ripped the Browns on Aug. 18, expressing his woe that he'd have to watch them three more times this year. If Kornheiser's mind is to be changed, Anderson will have to get the Browns off to a good start. He has shown little resemblance to the player who went 10-5 last season, threw 29 touchdown passes and earned a trip to the Pro Bowl. His rating of 49.9 ranks next to last in the league, bettering only Kansas City's Tyler Thigpen (40.9). A decent fourth quarter at Cincinnati might have been the spark he needed. Continued poor throws and bad decisions could force Crennel to make a quarterback change.
5. Browns receiver/returner Joshua Cribbs.
Cribbs said Monday he has all his gears back after a high ankle sprain suffered Aug. 18 kept him out of two preseason games and the opener. While Crennel is not the gambling type, it seems time for offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski to unleash Cribbs on offense. Considering what's on the line, the Browns should play like there's no tomorrow and get their most exciting player more touches than just on kickoff and punt returns.
<!--endclickprintinclude--> 1. Giants running game vs. Browns defense.
The Giants pit the league's No. 1 rushing attack against a defense ranked 22nd in that category. Running back Brandon Jacobs, 6-foot-4 and 264 pounds, gave free safety Brodney Pool a concussion in a preseason game Aug. 18 at the Meadowlands. As Browns coach Romeo Crennel observed, ''Jacobs is an offensive lineman with speed. You get him started with that body lean, it's hard for one guy to tackle him.'' Jacobs ranks 10th in the league in rushing with 380 yards, but his 5.8 yards per carry is the lowest of the Giants' top three backs. Derrick Ward (217 yards) and Ahmad Bradshaw (119 yards) average 6.6 yards per carry. After finishing last season ranked 27th against the run, Browns defenders think they're improving weekly. ''From the Cowboys game to where we are right now, we've made pretty good strides,'' linebacker D'Qwell Jackson said. ''Every day [defensive coordinator] Mel [Tucker] emphasizes techniques and fundamentals and understanding what we do. He's up there in the guys' [faces] asking questions. Right now I feel pretty comfortable. This is a big test for us.''
2. Plaxico Burress.
The Giants' star receiver was suspended for last week's game against the Seahawks for missing a meeting and not contacting the team. Burress said he was taking his son to school for what he described as a family emergency and didn't second-guess himself despite the consequences. ''Football is the best temporary job I am ever going to have in my life and my family is going to be here forever,'' Burress said last week. Burress, who has become quarterback Eli Manning's favorite target since signing as an unrestricted free agent from Pittsburgh in 2005, has 18 catches for 259 yards (14.4 average) and one touchdown in three games. He said he felt he let the team down by his action and might want to make up for it against Browns' second-year cornerbacks Brandon McDonald and Eric Wright.
3. Browns nose tackle Shaun Rogers vs. Giants center Shaun O'Hara.
Cleveland's most talented defender, Rogers leads the Browns in sacks (two) and is tied for third in tackles (22). If the Browns have any hope of slowing down Jacobs, it likely will fall to Rogers, 6-4 and 350 pounds, who was limited in practice last week with a shoulder injury. Much of the task of slowing down Rogers will fall to O'Hara, who made the Browns as an undrafted rookie free agent from Rutgers in 2000. O'Hara, who has started his past 97 games, signed a five-year, $19 million contract in March, 2007 that included a $7.5 million signing bonus.
4. Browns quarterback Derek Anderson.
ESPN's Tony Kornheiser ripped the Browns on Aug. 18, expressing his woe that he'd have to watch them three more times this year. If Kornheiser's mind is to be changed, Anderson will have to get the Browns off to a good start. He has shown little resemblance to the player who went 10-5 last season, threw 29 touchdown passes and earned a trip to the Pro Bowl. His rating of 49.9 ranks next to last in the league, bettering only Kansas City's Tyler Thigpen (40.9). A decent fourth quarter at Cincinnati might have been the spark he needed. Continued poor throws and bad decisions could force Crennel to make a quarterback change.
5. Browns receiver/returner Joshua Cribbs.
Cribbs said Monday he has all his gears back after a high ankle sprain suffered Aug. 18 kept him out of two preseason games and the opener. While Crennel is not the gambling type, it seems time for offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski to unleash Cribbs on offense. Considering what's on the line, the Browns should play like there's no tomorrow and get their most exciting player more touches than just on kickoff and punt returns.

great job this week joe.

i will be with you on the bmen tonight although with a bit less confidence. agree with jumps post and like the situation allot more than the talent comparison. good luck tonight.

Monday night spotlight Browns looking for upset over Super Bowl champs
By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal sports writer

Published on Monday, Oct 13, 2008
BEREA: Browns receiver Braylon Edwards' most vivid Monday night memory comes from 1995, when he was a 12-year-old San Francisco 49ers fan growing up in Detroit.
Edwards' father, Stanley, got them tickets when the 'Niners visited the Pontiac Silverdome. The youngster figured there was no way his beloved team, undefeated and the defending Super Bowl champion, could lose to the 0-3 Lions.
Edwards went home upset, as the Lions prevailed 27-24.
The situation seems similar for the injury-plagued and underachieving Browns (1-3), as they host the New York Giants (4-0) in the Browns' first appearance on Monday Night Football in five years. The Giants have won 12 consecutive games away from home, including playoffs and the Super Bowl, and all signs point to the continuation of that streak.
The Browns' 32nd-ranked offense, struggling to click all season, will probably be without Pro Bowl tight end Kellen Winslow. The four-year veteran was released from the Cleveland Clinic on Sunday after being hospitalized for three nights with an undisclosed illness, but he was downgraded to doubtful. He would be replaced by 10-year veteran Steve Heiden.
Also doubtful are right tackle Kevin Shaffer, who suffered a concussion two weeks ago against the Cincinnati Bengals, and defensive end Shaun Smith, who underwent hand surgery during the Oct. 5 bye week. In place of Shaffer, Ryan Tucker could see his first action of the season after May hip surgery, while Louis Leonard might fill in for Smith.
The Browns must find a way to cope as they try to turn around a season of high expectations that thus far has been a huge disappointment.

''Even if we were undefeated right now, we'd still be underdogs,'' Edwards said. ''I think that actually puts us in a better situation, because some of the expectations are down. We're back to where we were last year as the underdogs.''
If Smith is unable to play, it could defuse a potentially volatile situation with Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, 10th in the league in rushing going into the weekend.
The Browns believe Jacobs nailed strong safety Sean Jones with an illegal block in the Aug. 18 preseason game in the Meadowlands, which prompted Browns players to retaliate. Jacobs also took offense to Smith's constant chatter that evening. Another comment by Smith last week — ''I had no problem when I tried to take down Jerome Bettis, so I'm not worried about trying to take down Jacobs, either'' — also did not go over well.
Browns defensive end Corey Williams fanned the feud when he said last week, ''There ain't nothing physical'' about the Giants' offensive line, and said his key to stopping Jacobs was, ''I'm going to try to knock his head off . . . Once you go putting wood on him, he's a totally different running back. He'll start tiptoeing, shutting it down.'' Those remarks landed Williams on the back page of the New York tabloids Friday and carried sensational headlines in other major newspapers.
''What was said was said,'' Williams said Saturday. ''I don't care to read papers. I don't keep up with that type of stuff. I'll just get ready for Monday night.''
The Browns didn't seem ready when they last played on Monday Night Football on Dec. 8, 2003, against the St. Louis Rams. The Rams jumped out to a 23-7 halftime lead as starting quarterback Kelly Holcomb threw two interceptions in the second quarter, one returned for a touchdown, before being replaced by Tim Couch.
The Holcomb-Couch scenario could repeat itself, if the performance of Derek Anderson doesn't improve. After throwing 29 touchdown passes and going 10-5 last season en route to his first Pro Bowl, Anderson is suffering from a crisis in confidence and nervousness in the pocket. He could be lifted in favor of Brady Quinn, the 22nd overall pick in the 2007 draft who has played just one career series, that in the '07 finale.
The Browns are making the first of three appearances on Monday night this year, also taking the big stage Nov. 17 at the Buffalo Bills and Dec. 15 at the Philadelphia Eagles. They have already lost on Sunday night (to the Pittsburgh Steelers 10-6) and will play on a Thursday night (Nov. 6 at home against the Denver Broncos). In nine previous prime-time games since the franchise returned in 1999, the Browns are 1-8.
''We've been getting our butts kicked in prime-time games,'' Edwards said. ''We have a lot to prove to the outside world as well as to ourselves.
''A lot of us come into the league and it's a dream to play on Monday Night Football, to have three or four touchdowns. But somewhere after that first or second drive, you have to say, 'Hey, now that's over with,' and just play.''
Few will remember how to handle it from the 2003 season. Remaining from that team are just five Browns: Tucker, Heiden, linebacker Andra Davis, kicker Phil Dawson and long-snapper Ryan Pontbriand.
Pro Bowl returner/receiver Joshua Cribbs had no idea how long the Browns' Monday night drought had stretched.
''Wow. Five years. Wow,'' Cribbs said. ''It's about time to get some recognition.''
Even though they want to prove they deserve prime-time exposure, the Browns must keep their poise. They also will try to regain their home-field advantage, 0-2 this year after going 7-1 in 2007.
''You don't want to go out there and lay an egg,'' Anderson said. ''We've done it a few times.''
Even in the middle of last week, the Browns' excitement was palpable.
''Everybody's going to be watching. The lights are on,'' third-year linebacker D'Qwell Jackson said. ''If you want to proclaim yourself as a superstar or that big-time player, Monday is the time to do it.''

<hr color="#cccccc" size="1">Marla Ridenour can be reached at mridenour@thebeaconjournal.com. Read her Browns blog at http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/.
<!--endclickprintinclude--> BEREA: Browns receiver Braylon Edwards' most vivid Monday night memory comes from 1995, when he was a 12-year-old San Francisco 49ers fan growing up in Detroit.
Edwards' father, Stanley, got them tickets when the 'Niners visited the Pontiac Silverdome. The youngster figured there was no way his beloved team, undefeated and the defending Super Bowl champion, could lose to the 0-3 Lions.
Edwards went home upset, as the Lions prevailed 27-24.
The situation seems similar for the injury-plagued and underachieving Browns (1-3), as they host the New York Giants (4-0) in the Browns' first appearance on Monday Night Football in five years. The Giants have won 12 consecutive games away from home, including playoffs and the Super Bowl, and all signs point to the continuation of that streak.
The Browns' 32nd-ranked offense, struggling to click all season, will probably be without Pro Bowl tight end Kellen Winslow. The four-year veteran was released from the Cleveland Clinic on Sunday after being hospitalized for three nights with an undisclosed illness, but he was downgraded to doubtful. He would be replaced by 10-year veteran Steve Heiden.
Also doubtful are right tackle Kevin Shaffer, who suffered a concussion two weeks ago against the Cincinnati Bengals, and defensive end Shaun Smith, who underwent hand surgery during the Oct. 5 bye week. In place of Shaffer, Ryan Tucker could see his first action of the season after May hip surgery, while Louis Leonard might fill in for Smith.
The Browns must find a way to cope as they try to turn around a season of high expectations that thus far has been a huge disappointment.

''Even if we were undefeated right now, we'd still be underdogs,'' Edwards said. ''I think that actually puts us in a better situation, because some of the expectations are down. We're back to where we were last year as the underdogs.''
If Smith is unable to play, it could defuse a potentially volatile situation with Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, 10th in the league in rushing going into the weekend.
The Browns believe Jacobs nailed strong safety Sean Jones with an illegal block in the Aug. 18 preseason game in the Meadowlands, which prompted Browns players to retaliate. Jacobs also took offense to Smith's constant chatter that evening. Another comment by Smith last week — ''I had no problem when I tried to take down Jerome Bettis, so I'm not worried about trying to take down Jacobs, either'' — also did not go over well.
Browns defensive end Corey Williams fanned the feud when he said last week, ''There ain't nothing physical'' about the Giants' offensive line, and said his key to stopping Jacobs was, ''I'm going to try to knock his head off . . . Once you go putting wood on him, he's a totally different running back. He'll start tiptoeing, shutting it down.'' Those remarks landed Williams on the back page of the New York tabloids Friday and carried sensational headlines in other major newspapers.
''What was said was said,'' Williams said Saturday. ''I don't care to read papers. I don't keep up with that type of stuff. I'll just get ready for Monday night.''
The Browns didn't seem ready when they last played on Monday Night Football on Dec. 8, 2003, against the St. Louis Rams. The Rams jumped out to a 23-7 halftime lead as starting quarterback Kelly Holcomb threw two interceptions in the second quarter, one returned for a touchdown, before being replaced by Tim Couch.
The Holcomb-Couch scenario could repeat itself, if the performance of Derek Anderson doesn't improve. After throwing 29 touchdown passes and going 10-5 last season en route to his first Pro Bowl, Anderson is suffering from a crisis in confidence and nervousness in the pocket. He could be lifted in favor of Brady Quinn, the 22nd overall pick in the 2007 draft who has played just one career series, that in the '07 finale.
The Browns are making the first of three appearances on Monday night this year, also taking the big stage Nov. 17 at the Buffalo Bills and Dec. 15 at the Philadelphia Eagles. They have already lost on Sunday night (to the Pittsburgh Steelers 10-6) and will play on a Thursday night (Nov. 6 at home against the Denver Broncos). In nine previous prime-time games since the franchise returned in 1999, the Browns are 1-8.
''We've been getting our butts kicked in prime-time games,'' Edwards said. ''We have a lot to prove to the outside world as well as to ourselves.
''A lot of us come into the league and it's a dream to play on Monday Night Football, to have three or four touchdowns. But somewhere after that first or second drive, you have to say, 'Hey, now that's over with,' and just play.''
Few will remember how to handle it from the 2003 season. Remaining from that team are just five Browns: Tucker, Heiden, linebacker Andra Davis, kicker Phil Dawson and long-snapper Ryan Pontbriand.
Pro Bowl returner/receiver Joshua Cribbs had no idea how long the Browns' Monday night drought had stretched.
''Wow. Five years. Wow,'' Cribbs said. ''It's about time to get some recognition.''
Even though they want to prove they deserve prime-time exposure, the Browns must keep their poise. They also will try to regain their home-field advantage, 0-2 this year after going 7-1 in 2007.
''You don't want to go out there and lay an egg,'' Anderson said. ''We've done it a few times.''
Even in the middle of last week, the Browns' excitement was palpable.
''Everybody's going to be watching. The lights are on,'' third-year linebacker D'Qwell Jackson said. ''If you want to proclaim yourself as a superstar or that big-time player, Monday is the time to do it.''

Browns secondary to keep close tabs on Hixon

By Carlos "Big C" Holmes
Staff Writer

Sunday, October 12, 2008

When the Cleveland Browns met up with the New York Giants in the preseason it was clear that the team was overmatched. The World Champions got off to a quick start scoring two touchdowns in their first three possessions. The Giants won the game 37-34 despite a late surge by Cleveland.
The star player in that game was little-known Giants wide receiver Domenik Hixon, who was on the receiving end of two Eli Manning touchdown passes, and returned a 82-yard kickoff for a touchdown, all coming in the first quarter. It was a night to remember for the former University of Akron receiver.
Stepping in
During a phone interview with Hixon on Saturday, he talked about his performance this season and the homecoming Monday night matchup against Cleveland.
In Week 5, Hixon showed his worth when he was asked to step up his game in the absence of leading receiver Plaxico Burress, who was suspended by the team for a game.
The third-year receiver answered the call by hauling in four catches for 102 yards and a touchdown in his first career start.
Hixon led the Giants in receiving to assist New York in a win over Seattle 44-6.
There is no doubt that he has gained the attention of the Browns' secondary with last week's performance if he hadn't already before.
When asked if the defense and special-teams would game plan for him, Hixon couldn't have been more modest.
"Not necessarily for me," he said. "The situation is different now. Plaxico is back so I don't think they are necessarily game planning for me."
Maybe they should.
Another weapon
The 6-foot-2, 182-pound Hixon is a tremendous talent and is the go-to-guy in clutch situations. He's another weapon for Manning to throw to and is a legitimate deep threat.
Hixon's play in the preseason has carried over to the regular season and NFL teams need to be on alert. He's turning into a force to be reckoned with.
Hixon said the chemistry between he and Manning was established day on one.
"It's great having a guy like Eli in the huddle," he said. "Coming in last year from the Broncos, Eli and I worked at it from day one and didn't waste any time. "He puts in a lot of work with film study as well as on the field and it's paying off for him."
Hixon was claimed off waivers by the Giants in 2007 after the Denver Broncos waived him.
Hixon said he didn't go into training camp with any high expectations. He just wanted to work hard every day and be accountable when called upon. It appears to be paying off for him as well.
The receiver played his high school ball at Whitehall-Yearling High School outside of Columbus, Ohio and is excited about the opportunity to play in Cleveland.
"This is something that I am really looking forward to," Hixon said. "Even going to school in Akron you always heard about the Browns fans and the great atmosphere to play in. To finally be able to play there will be fun."
Carlos "Big C" Holmes covers the NFL for Dayton Daily News.
More NFL draft coverage: Catch the latest NFL news, subscribe to the RSS feed, or get automatic e-mail notification of the latest news for you teams at BigCProFootball.com and on our site.

Also look at the NYG schedule . I said it before Wash lost to the Rams and stand by thinking this teams are winning games to often because of the we dont beat ourselves theory playing a team who just hands a way a game . This applies to alot of what Wash has done IMO . People say its parity and I dont think thats really the case . More of a drop in overall play then an evening out of teams across the board .

NYG beat Wash , Cincy and Seattle at home only the Hawks by DDs . Just look at Seattle this team is very bad and looks like 4-12 material at BEST . Cincy is winless still and Skins have 4 solid wins but arent better then the teams they beat just games were they had ZERO turnovers and did enough to win . They won by 5 , 7 and then 2 and 6 on the road . Then NYG beat STL by alot but also scored 3 TDS in the last 7 1/2 minutes of the game to make a 1 TD game 4 TDs . They had only 2 TDs and 2 FGs at that point vs one of the worst defenses in the league who may not have been giving much effort for its now former coach .

You look at that and say NYG biggest test to date was the Bengals ? Who IMO are basically a wash with Cle at this point . Browns tad better on defense and Bengals tad better despite huge gap in talent on offense . So if -13 is to many to lay for NY vs Cincy who really could have lost that game in regulation if Cincy could have punched it in rather then settle for 3 pts . NYG defense played well just 1 quarter the 3rd . Anyway if a more accurate line was about -10 then hard to believe one can make CLE bigger then a 4.5 home point dog here . They were slightily bigger vs Pitt and Dallas teams of NYG caliber splitting those ATS . So nearly 10 pts just seems to remind me of the Bears @ Zona a few years ago with a similiar situation . You had teh high flying Bears coming to ZOna who had not hosted MNF in awhile as big dogs and they gave them a ball game . Same expectations tonight ...Hungry CLE team a tad healthier then it has been getting its 2 key players IMO back near 100% in Cribbs and Stallworth . Giving CLE a special teams threat again and more importantly 2nd and 3rd WR options . Just cant succeed with what they had out there . Double Braylon and spy the safety on Winslow who is gonna make a play ?? Add Tucker to the OL hopefully improves protection and ground game . McGinest last I checked should play and he is the type of guy who rises to the top on MNF ....

Just dont think CLE played a bad game since the opener and really that was a decent game for 20-25 minutes then Cle just fell apart. We saw these winless teams continue to put up great efforts as big dogs in recent weeks . Cle IMO is clearly better then the Rams and Seattle the 2 NYG blowouts in 2008 . Easy schedule is an understandment . I knock Wash but NYG , Zona , NO @ Philly ,@ Dallas compared to NYG schedule ....how can they not be undefeated ?

BOL

appreciate the time bro...alot of good stuff..

I like Cle tonight and the value lies on your side...I'm a situational guy and this is a great spot..

But you lost me here:

This is a homer comment man..he's thrown for 114, 166, 125, and 138 yds so far this year...he threw for under 200 yds in three of the last four games last year..only game he threw for more was 251 vs Cincy in a game he threw four picks...

Yes Stallworth helps, but losing Winslow in the passing game hurts....it's not all DA's fault, but I watched every sec of the Bengals game three weeks back and this coordinator has lost all faith in D.A....they threw on first down I believe twice the entire game...living at 3 and 8 is hard to deal with...esp when Winslow doesn't go...only way d.a. is successful (over 200 yds in my mind) is if Lewis has some success on the ground...and saying "if" DA has time doesn't make me warm and fuzzy when you are facing a team that gets after the QB like NYG does...the coordinator falls in bad patterns too and refuses to use playaction when Lewis does get going..it's just so obvious they have no confidence in the QB or the passing game...hopefully Stallworth and Steinbach etc help that...

Beyond all that, good thoughts....I'll be on CLE small and am very interested to see what Stallworth brings to the offense...I think JJ is the much more important cog they are missing..but losing a Winslow who had 82 catches last year and led the team and not having a 50 catch guy still hurts a ton...

I just don't think you can play this spot heavy though..you say Eli will turn it over a couple times...based on what? he's been great with the ball and I think this could be a field position game...

All that said go Brownies..hope you cash that ticket.

Great stuff Jump. I agree its a stretch to expect DA to explode here most of his big games were vs weak defenses and thats fine exploiting other teams. NYG defense is anything but weak though .

I agree with JJ because he is very sure handed but Stallworth presence alone should pay huge dividends . Just creating more of a distraction from Braylon Edwards .

While Eli has been very good outside of the opener he has faced some shit defenses . Now I praise the Bengal defense everytime I get a chance to but really they are not exactly creating pressure leading to sacks and turnovers . There just doing enough to make teams work for points IMO. Rams and Seahawks crap teams and Wash shutdown them after Eli came out guns a blazing. Still much for NYG to prove but there schedule is a cakewalk for awhile if we include today . SF on deck , tough one @ Pitt but looks like they get Dallas at home with Romo out . Not an easy game by any means but lucky break for them .

Also agree you cant really pound Cle here although your not getting to many chances at primetime HOME DOGS near +10 in the NFL . So I may change my tune on that . CLE played just as good as PITT on SNF IMO and improve the Steeler OL and not much difference bewteen Pitt and NYG IMO .....

Think that preseason game does factor some for motivation . Giants withe big road streak and notorious for playing up and down to competition . :cheers:

Domenik Hixon is probably the "Lite" version of Reggie Bush or Devin Hester . The kids speed is amazing and he showed he can play some WR as well . Amazing asset to have and he really lead NYGs late surge IMO last year when he arrived .

Just cant succeed with what they had out there . Double Braylon and spy the safety on Winslow who is gonna make a play ?? Add Tucker to the OL hopefully improves protection and ground game .

i just don't understand how people don't get this. as a qb you are behind a beat up line, you look left and you have your #1 being doubled and harassed and when he is open he's dropping passes or not fighting for the ball. you look right and you have one of the best tight ends in the league in the same spot because your OC hasn't been doing a good job of getting him in motion and lining him up to create matchups. you see steptoe who you have zero faith in because he isn't running the right routes and when he is, he's creating zero separation. where do you go with the football? he has been set up to fail in these first few games and dating back to last year. we've seen what he can do when he's not set up to fail.

Yup SN, I meant to mention the schedule as well..we really don't know anythign about the Giants right now...three home games, 2 vs bad teams the other vs a diff Wash team and one road game vs STL?

wow.

i don't think my comment was as homer as perceived, because i simply just don't see nyg's secondary as a strength...that was my point in saying that. he will have opportunities to throw for 300 imo. if he doesn't, it's because of playcalling, which i expect to be much more agressive

absolutely about the schedule...i will elaborate on this

and how do the giants not come into this game with a high head after beating the shit out of a below average seahawks team last week. in fact, the giants have caught every team in bad spots so far, playing really nobody except the skins, who were a different offense in week 1...hell they didn't even have a 2 minute offense that week.

wash - brand new offense and an awful game for campbell and mismanaged clock on the road at a super bowl celebration game 1 game (which there's huge trends pointing to the giants' spot.)...you could definitely tell the offense was new because it wasn't nearly executed to the extent it was in just one short week later. and they had no 2 minute offense in!!! unbelievable, and despite this, they still had chances to win this game

st louis - this win actually impressed me despite the level of competition, but it was a lot closer than the final score indicates, as sn mentions they scored 3 tds in the last 7 minutes...and they only scored 13 pts in the first half

cinci - just as good teams find a way to win, bad teams find a way to lose...no clue how cinci found a way to lose here, but they did; they outplayed the giants imo and definitely should have won

sea - sea beat to shit as it was and had to travel across the whole country - always a terrible spot, and one they play awful in historically. hasselback got banged up too even though he stayed in the game. sea never had a chance.

what they did last year was unreal and unprecedented, but regular season-wise, look at the schedule again...just as everyone looks at the browns schedule and rips them. atl, miami, sf, det, nyj, chi. everyone sucks the division's dick but look at the showing from this division this week. just think this whole division is very overrated right now; while it's a good division, there's going to be value on the other side just because of the perception

i don't think my comment was as homer as perceived, because i simply just don't see nyg's secondary as a strength...that was my point in saying that. he will have opportunities to throw for 300 imo. if he doesn't, it's because of playcalling, which i expect to be much more agressive

I agree the weakness is the secondary but its a weakness on a very solid defense . Its not something that can easily be exploted by just throwing the ball .

Also meant to say this in response to Jump before . Cle came out and said before the game @ Cincy they were just going to keep it simple might be able to find a link somewhere . Basically saying that could be the reason it looked like CLE OC had no faith in DA that day . Not that the simple approach has changed but something I think has an explanation to .

Also Joe very much agree with the CLE offense is setup to fail comment . Its not like Edwards is catching everything and game 1 vs Dallas key example . He splits the middle is wide open and drops a clear TD pass IMO . Winslow similiar issues but nothing to take the pressure of two talented players who clearly cant handle it or adjust on there own . Steptoe as a WR come on now and people laugh at Ike Hillard . He 's like the guy you give the open 15 foot jumper everytime in hoops to he finally shows you he can hit it . :popcorn:

GL

Also meant to say this in response to Jump before . Cle came out and said before the game @ Cincy they were just going to keep it simple might be able to find a link somewhere . Basically saying that could be the reason it looked like CLE OC had no faith in DA that day . Not that the simple approach has changed but something I think has an explanation to .

agree nut; also, j lewis had hardly carried the ball at all the week before, and there was huge criticism from cleveland media, fans, and j lewis himself of the lack of running game. it was clear that chud wanted to establish the run early and often and force the ball to lewis in that cinci game.

i agree with your assessment of the giant defense, it's definitely a very solid defense. if the pats couldn't spread them out and throw on them at will last year, the secondary is surely covered up by the pressure they apply. just think the browns oline will look a lot better with tucker in the lineup, and i expect a good effort from this oline, that was really the catalyst for the team all year. if they show up we'll be able to throw on that seconary because of the matchups. i think we'll help them out a lot with our cribbs and stallworth packages early...and it will also help keep pierce and the lbs on their heels a little.

A look ahead to New York Giants at Cleveland Browns

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-LedgerMonday October 13, 2008, 2:14 PM

medium_manning2.jpg
Andrew Mills/The Star-LedgerEli Manning vs. the Browns blitz will be a crucial matchup to watch tonight.
It almost seems too good to be true, doesn't it?With a win tonight, the Giants will be 1 1/2 games ahead of the Redskins and Romo-less Dallas House of Cards, plus they'll be 2 1/2 games ahead of an Eagles team that doesn't know how to close a game out against a team not named the 49ers. It would be a huge lead in a division that's supposed to be the best in football. And it would come one week before they get San Fran at home, which you would think would guarantee the lead will remain at 1 1/2 (at least) through seven games.
But let me say it again: it almost seems too good to be true, doesn't it?
It's times like these the football gods take a big bite out of an undefeated record - even if it's against a team that seems to be struggling with the addition of the forward pass to the rules. I'm not predicting a loss here; just saying things have a way of evening themselves out in this league, so the Giants should beware.

TONIGHT'S GAME: at Browns, 8:30 p.m., Cleveland Browns Stadium (How did they not cash in on naming rights?), ESPN
PLAYERS TO WATCH: On offense, it's the Browns' blitz against the Giants' OL and QB Eli Manning. I mentioned this the other day briefly but wanted to come back on it. So far this season, Manning hasn't faced a lot of pressure from opposing defenses, who have opted to send only four rushers most of the time instead of bringing the heat. It's a sign of respect because they know Manning can take advantage of a blitz by hitting the receiver in the area vacated by the blitz. Or he can find WR Plaxico Burress in a 1-on-1 mismatch (e.g. the Eagles game in OT two years ago and the SB42 game-winner).
But tonight, the Giants are expecting to see some pressure from Romeo Crennel's defense. In fact, the Giants' coaching staff calculated Cleveland blitzes on more than 60 percent of third downs, so they're expecting some of the heavy pressure New England has shown since Crennel was coordinator there and even beyond. I'm curious to see how this one shapes up because I've been saying for weeks defenses need to come after Manning more than they have. (The Seahawks blitzed on only 12 of 26 designed passes.) And I'm also curious to see how a motivated Burress will handle those 1-on-1 fades and go patterns when Manning sees the blitz coming.
On D, it's DTs Barry Cofield and Fred Robbins and LB Antonio Pierce against Browns RB Jamal Lewis and the Cleveland interior OL. Browns Gs Eric Steinbach (shoulder) and Rex Hadnot (knee) have been banged up in the early in the season. Each of them missed a game, and their injuries appear to have affected the Browns' ability to run the ball up the middle. Both players had a week to rest, so if their injuries were lingering, perhaps they've subsided at least a bit. The Browns had better hope so because they'll have to run the ball up the middle to be effective on offense tonight. Teams have tried the edges on the Giants' D this year and it hasn't worked. Not that going up the middle is a better option because Robbins and Cofield have been beasts. The Browns have to figure out a way to move those guys tonight and get to Pierce, who is nursing a quad injury. If they can't get Lewis up the gut and running downhill, they won't be able to move the ball.
THE LINE: Giants by 7½. Over-under 43½.
TWO MORE THINGS: In case you missed yesterday's story, I just wanted to point out the play against Seattle I mentioned was a thing of beauty with the way the DBs worked together was actually a play on which they all did the wrong thing. But as I mentioned in the story, that's a good sign for the secondary because even when they do the wrong thing, there's still been positive results.
And finally, tonight's game will be a matchup of the two oldest coaches in the NFL - Tom Coughlin (62) and Crennel (61). No, I will not make jokes about the second half starting after their bedtime or prune juice on the sideline instead of Gatorade. I will not, you hear me?!

i hope Jamal Lewis carries the ball 32 times , so DA doesnt have to throw the ball more than 20 times,the less he throws the better

Broadway -

wanted to thank you for your time on this Browns play. I read your stuff and hammered +9 and ML +300. I put almost 2 units on the ML, which I NEVER do. Also 2 on the +9. Anyway, its not over yet (33-14), but at this point, very fucking nice job. You made me money and I wanted to thank you. :shake:

Nice hit Joe . Really worked out well for me too. Hit the 1st Q , 1st H , 2nd H , game and ML . Lost some on the 1st h Under and one TD more would have given me a CLE and over 2nd H reverse . So gave some back but at 3 to 1 the ML was sweet . Good work . Happy someone put there well thought out ideas out there on this one made me play it a little more then I would have.

thanks guys. glad we could cash. this is one helluva exciting ride home. for the record, i was also chastised with the prediction that eli would turn the ball over, which definitely was another key component to tonight's game haha. just kiddin jump, i know where you were coming from, but just had to pat myself on the back, because this is probably the best call i will have all year. made a couple of bold predictions that came to life, and we saw a different offense as i predicted, but i didn't see it as a 35-14 blowout like it was, but if not for the pick 6, it was probably a 27-21 final (the 35 was on the 2 pt conversion), just as i saw. biggest play of the year for me turns out to be probably the most accurate game i've bet on, which is a good sign. gl this week fellas...glad a lot of us could cash on this poorly set line

and by the way, the browns corners looked very good tonight...which makes me very happy because i've liked them since the beginning of the year...some terrible coaching again from the browns in putting cousin on plax near the goalline when we knew he was getting the call, but mcdonald and wright did a great job of covering these giant receivers long enough for our pressure to be effective

No doubt bro..they opened up the offense for DA finally...the difference was Steinbach healthy...Tucker back and Stallworth options...you could tell the confidence was back both w/ DA and the staff with him..

I was on CLE too like I said, but you nailed basically every aspect of the game..

Congrats.

Back