• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Week 4 Upsets Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
College Football Week 4 Upset Alert: Florida State Can't Handle Clemson's Defense

Florida State Seminoles vs. Clemson Tigers
Saturday, September 23, 2023 at noon ET at Memorial Stadium in Clemson

Jordan Travis's Resume

Any decision to wager on Florida State is likely going to be predicated on a positive assessment of Seminoles quarterback Jordan Travis's outlook for this game.

Travis is easy to like because he is flashy and athletic and his playmaking abilities have elicited comparisons to Patrick Mahomes.

Public perception of Travis skyrocketed during his Mahomes-like performance against LSU.

But now he faces his toughest defensive test of the season.

Moreover, he might continue to miss key offensive linemen.

Since left tackle Robert Scott Jr. has missed action, Travis has completed less than 60 percent of his 53 throws.

This lack of production has also hurt him physically, causing him to enter this game relatively dinged-up.

Clemson's Pass Defense

Clemson has already been tested by an offense similar in caliber to Florida State's -- the Seminoles rank 13 spots higher than Duke in total offense but haven't had to face Clemson, whereas Duke has.

The Tigers also got to be tested by Blue Devil quarterback Riley Leonard.

They held Leonard to 175 passing yards on 33 attempts.

While they allowed a lot of rushing yards to Leonard, running for a lot of yards isn't something that Travis tends to do so much.

In contrast to what Travis will focus on trying to do, Leonard plagued the Seminoles with designed quarterback runs, including a longer run that, sustaining itself on broken tackles, exposed the Tigers defense's initial struggle with acclimating itself to the new season.

Since its Week 1 loss to Duke, Clemson has improved its tackling as well as its havoc creation.

Clemson's Two-Pronged Attack

It is easy to dismiss Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik because that nationally televised season-opener against Duke feels recent.

But recall that Klubnik is a five-star recruit touted for his accuracy.

Rapidly improving from game to game, and making difficult throws that his predecessor failed to make, he is going to look radically different on Saturday than he did in the opener.

He also gets a favorable test against a Seminoles defense that ranks 98th nationally after allowing Boston College's quarterback to achieve his second-best game of the season against it.

Moreover, Florida State's front seven is going to struggle to contain Clemson's running back.

Shipley, who ran for 114 yards on 17 carries against Duke, is notoriously tough to bring down.

With his physicality, he will expose a Seminoles run defense that is ranked around average nationally.

Best Bet: Clemson +2.5 at -110 with BetOnline & Clemson ML at +110 with BetOnline

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets vs. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 6:30 p.m. ET at Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium in Winston-Salem

Georgia Tech's Improved Offense

With the hiring of new staff and with improvement in personnel, Georgia Tech's offense has improved tremendously.

Whereas the Yellow Jackets ranked 124th in points per game last year, they rank 51st in the category.

They are scoring 13 more points per game.

Ground Game Outlook

Their new play-caller has them running the ball more often.

Two of their running backs, Jamal Haynes and Trey Cooley, average 6.1 YPC after performing well against Louisville and Ole Miss.

It might not seem like their outlook could be positive in view of the ranking of Wake Forest's run defense.

While the Demon Deacons' run defense ranks highly, it is poorly tested.

So far, Wake Forest's have been low-profile competition: they played Old Dominion, Vanderbilt, and Elon.

The running backs that they have faced, though, elicit concern.

Old Dominion running back Devin Roche, for example, amassed 86 rushing yards on eleven carries against Wake Forest's run defense.

Georgia Tech's Passing Game Outlook

The Yellow Jackets are benefiting from the arrival of Haynes King, a transfer from Texas A&M.

King is clearly thriving in Georgia Tech's power spread offense: relative to last year, he has upped his completion percentage by eleven percent and has thrown nine touchdowns to one interception whereas he threw seven touchdowns and six interceptions last year.

He has a soft test in Wake Forest's pass defense, which is hurt by a raw and inexperienced secondary. The Demon Deacons rank 104th in pass defense.

Wake Forest Can't Keep Pace

Is Georgia Tech's defense similarly problematic?

Sure.

Why isn't this a problem? Because the Demon Deacons offense won't be as efficient as Georgia Tech's.

The Demon Deacons' quarterback, Mitch Griffis is much more prone to turning the ball over than King.

Griffis helps explain why the Demon Deacons rank 97th at limiting turnovers on offense and likewise struggle to convert red zone opportunities.

In Georgia Tech, we get the crisper and more well-tested offense facing a defense that won't stop it from scoring, and we get this at plus money.

Best Bet: Georgia Tech +3.5 at -104 with BetOnline & Georgia Tech ML at +160 with BetOnline

Minnesota Golden Gophers vs. Northwestern Wildcats
Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 7:30 p.m. ET at Ryan Field in Evanston

Minnesota's Offense

The Golden Gophers are a great team to fade when they are favored by double digits because their offense will not score enough to cover the spread.

In three games, they scored 13 points against Nebraska, 25 points against a MAC team in Eastern Michigan that allowed a similar scoring output to no-name Howard, and 13 points against North Carolina.

To make a further comparison, Nebraska allowed a similar number of points to MAC team Eastern Illinois.

The upshot of this is that Minnesota does not have an offense with which to compete against Power Five competition.

Bad Quarterback Play

A significant reason for the Golden Gophers' offensive struggles is the play of quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis.

Minnesota's offense lacks explosiveness because Kaliakmanis struggles just to complete passes, as evident in his 51.1 percent completion rate.

His interception total of three does not do justice to the number of passes that he has thrown that should have been intercepted.

He will do much to put Northwestern's defense in a position to succeed.

Northwestern Offense's Outlook

The Wildcats won't need to score much in order to pull off the upset.

Their ground game is favorable match-up wise against Minnesota's defense.

One, they have fast running backs whom Minnesota's rather strong and physical Big Ten defense will struggle to keep up with.

Cam Porter, most notably, is Northwestern's leading rusher. He is known for his quickness.

In terms of passing, the Wildcats benefit from facing a Golden Gopher secondary that lost two players to the NFL and another to the transfer portal.

While Wildcat quarterback Ben Bryant's numbers are deflated by his rusty performance against Rutgers' pressure-heavy defense, Minnesota's hard-hit secondary will be vulnerable to Bryant, who will benefit facing a Minnesota pass rush whose last game shows it to be as anemic as it was last year when it ranked 108th nationally.

Best Bet: Northwestern +11.5 at -110 with BetOnline & Northwestern ML at +345 with BetOnline

I dunno bout some those duke comparisons, I like duke and all but I think noles have way more talent on the outside, plus clemson didn’t really “hold” duke to 176 passing, Duke stopped throwing because clemson continued to turn the ball over in the red zone. Pretty sure duke had somewhere around 140 passing at halftime with a coach who repeatedly took the ball out of Leonard hands. That 176 passing for duke is incredibly misleading, I dunno how much relevance that game holds here but if we are using duke as a comp I think we have to point out they coulda thrown for well over 250 if they desired but game situation called for ultra conservative play calling.

I could def get on board w Gtech, my only issue with them is they have given up a ton of points in 2nd halves, granted playing against way better teams than wake has faced but it still concerns me. Does wake still run that stupid long slow mesh? I hate that offense! Baffles me how it actually works quite often! They haven’t played in last few years which sucks, I’d like to know how or if tech can defend it? Dart killed them rushing last week but wake qb doesn’t appear to be a run threat so that good.

I dunno bout some those duke comparisons, I like duke and all but I think noles have way more talent on the outside, plus clemson didn’t really “hold” duke to 176 passing, Duke stopped throwing because clemson continued to turn the ball over in the red zone. Pretty sure duke had somewhere around 140 passing at halftime with a coach who repeatedly took the ball out of Leonard hands. That 176 passing for duke is incredibly misleading, I dunno how much relevance that game holds here but if we are using duke as a comp I think we have to point out they coulda thrown for well over 250 if they desired but game situation called for ultra conservative play calling.
Fair points. But he attempted 33 passes though?? I certainly didn't mean to mislead anyone, but the yards per pass attempt seems to be pretty revealing for Clemson pass D?

Fair points. But he attempted 33 passes though?? I certainly didn't mean to mislead anyone, but the yards per pass attempt seems to be pretty revealing for Clemson pass D?

I didn’t mean to say you were misleading anyone just that I think duke passing yards in that game are somewhat skewed cause they had so little interest in throwing the ball in the second half. I’m surprised they had 33 attempts cause I can’t imagine more than 10 in 2nd half? And the times they did throw after half were pretty much always obvious pass down after a couple runs to kill clock.

I really dunno where I’m at on this game, my 1st thought was line was short but I coulda been victim of recency? Not sure, I don’t think the duke game is hugely influencing me cause honestly clemson beat themselves, all those red zone turnovers cheated us out of a better game plus a chance to learn more about both those teams imo. I was super impressed w the noles big wrs and Norvell play calling after halftime in the lsu game. Im sure that had some effect on my thinking. I want to say last years matchup was a lot like clemson/duke was this year, for much of the game I thought noles had a chance but self inflicted wounds made score uglier than it was, I still gotta go back and look to make sure in remembering that right. Lol.

I just can’t see myself playing clemson but might just pass. I do kinda feel like it fsu time and to be that they gotta win this game.

Good analysis on all three.

Man, that BI6 game is so trash, anything can happen. I cannot imagine laying 12+ with Minnesota though!

You've given me a lot to think about in the game in Death Valley.

Agree more and more on GaTECH.

Good analysis on all three.

Man, that BI6 game is so trash, anything can happen. I cannot imagine laying 12+ with Minnesota though!

You've given me a lot to think about in the game in Death Valley.

Agree more and more on GaTECH.

Gtech one is def my favorite, no feel for gophers/Nw, feel like I was lied to all summer by gophers staff!! All I heard was how much they liked that qb and far as I can tell he not even close to as good the last guy they had running the offense last several years (kids name is totally escaping me at moment, lol, Morgan maybe? Anyways not important). I had this picture of gophers talented wrs making plays and assumed they get the run game figured out. This Kaliakmanis kid is freaking awful! I dunno how anyone watched him all summer and was high on him?? Dude was 11-29 against unc! When I watch I see those wrs getting open but even when dude sees them he can’t put the ball on target to save his life! I don’t know Jack shit bout NW other than any game they in is typically super ugly/impossible to watch! This certainly has the makings of that kind of game!

I do wonder if over might be better than Gtech, just dunno if their d can make a stop after halftime? Super confident they will score on wake, feel like tech either wins by margin or it flies over. I’ve played king passing yards over in both power 5 games, hoping they set his number well under 250 again!

First, congrats on the Mizzou prediction last week.

I reviewed the play-by-play of last year’s Clemson/FSU game last night. It’s not the first time I’ve done that. My notes and observations will follow.

The stats exclude all garbage time. Garbage time includes the last possession of the 1H when FSU got the ball with just 19 seconds left and everything after Clemson stopped FSU on fourth-and-goal with 12:45 left and Clemson ahead 34-14.

Last edited:
FSU 1H -- 38 plays for 215 yards (5.1 yards per play) - 22 rushes for 128; 16 passes for 87

Two of the rushes were sacks, you could recharacterize it as 24 rushing plays for 149 (6.2 yards per rush play) and 18 passing plays for 66 (3.7 yards per pas play)

FSU 2H -- 21-69 93.(3.3 yards per play) - 7-25 rushing; 14 passes for 44 yards (no sacks allowed)

FSU Full Game - 59-284 (4.8 yards per play) - 29 rushes for 153 (backing out sacks: 27 for 174, 6.4 ypr); 30 passes for 131 (incl. sacks 32 pass plays for 110; 3.4 yrds per pass play)

FSU's 27 non-sack rushing plays included 7 long runs totaling 119 yards (11, 14, 16, 19, 19, 20, and 20 yards), and the other 20 shorter totaled 55 yards, including a 1-yard run to convert a 3rd-and-1 and a 1-yard TD rum. Those are excellent numbers.

The passing numbers were dreadful. Why did they throw it more than they ran it? Perhaps winning this year is as simple as running the ball more.

Back