Week 2: 3-5, -0.87u
Week 3: 7-2-1, +6.15u
Straight plays: 13-12-1, +2.53u
Sides: 6-8, -3.7u
Game Totals: 7-1-1, +9.68u
Team Totals: 0-3, -3.45u
MLs:
Total: 13-12-1, +2.53u

Very solid week 3. Thought I had a very good feel for that week's games.

Season plays:

Cincinnati OVER 6.5 Wins (+115) (10u to win 11.5): 1-1
Last Week: Bye
Next: vs. Miami OH

Purdue UNDER 7 Wins (-140) (1.4u to win 1): 1-1
Last Week: L 26-32 (OT) vs. Oregon
Next: vs. Central Michigan

Week 3 plays:

Rutgers -4 (1.65u to win 1.5)
Idaho/Utah St. UNDER 67 (1.65u to win 1.5)
Akron/Army UNDER 50.5 (1.65u to win 1.5)
Eastern Michigan/Maryland UNDER 52.5 (1.65u to win 1.5)
Eastern Michigan +21.5 (1.65u to win 1.5)<!-- / message -->
Houston/Colorado St. UNDER 61 (1.1u to win 1)<!-- / message -->
North Carolina PK (1.1u to win 1)
Kansas St. -3 (1.1u to win 1)
Eastern Michigan ML +1100 (0.2u to win 2.2)

Week 2 leans: (Bolded leans are stronger leans)

Temple +28
Cincinnati -11.5
Wyoming TT UNDER? (please be higher than 10)
Marshall +9.5
Pittsburgh -1
Eastern Michigan +21.5/ML +? (Schmitt status?)

Not a huge fan of this card. Hopefully the totals will be good tomorrow. Eastern Michigan will be my first ML play of the year if Schmitt plays. Box scores and write-ups coming.

BOL to all this week. :cheers:

Last edited:
Week 3 Review:

Toledo/Eastern Mich Under 58: Pushed this one, but was happy with it. There were only about 600 yards of offense, and there were 73 rushes to 41 passes in the game. There were eight turnovers in the game though, and that led to points. McMahon killed EMU's point total, but helped Toledo's immensely. Toledo had scoring drives of 1, 40, and 36 yards.

Temple/Buffalo OVER 41.5: This proved to be an easy one. I think the oddsmakers looked to far into Temple's first two games here.

North Carolina/Rutgers OVER 43.5: This won fairly easily, but it wasn't as easy as the score indicated. Was probably lucky to be at 23 points at the half, as neither team moved the ball consistently in the 1st half. UNC then sealed it up in the 2nd half with the help of turnovers and good field position. Was also lucky that both of the young kickers nailed all of their FGs.

Penn St./Syracuse OVER 50.5: I think I made this game 58 or so in the totals thread. At 50.5, I had to take it because there was a chance PSU would do it themselves. They did.

Bowling Green +17: Strange game. Not sure what to think about it. Teams were nearly equal in yards. Couple things went against me (lost turnover battle, Vrvilo misses two FGs), but a couple things helped as well (BG 3-3 on 4th down, 8 penalties on Boise). Minor backdoor as BG scored early in the 4th, but BG almost cut it to 6 late before turning it over.

Cal -11.5/Maryland +14: Guess its a good thing I middled.

Middle Tennessee St. +18: Probably the right side. Not sure why the line was so high. It helped that Seiber was 2-6 on FGs though.

Tulane +13: Just a play on an obvious flat spot for ECU. Tulane is far better than I thought they would be. Yards were even, but Tulane won the TO battle 4-2 (though ECU did get that TD off of the blocked FG).

Nebraska TT OVER 42: I think you are always asking for trouble when you play a TT this high. 550 yards of offense is enough to get the job done though, so I don't regret the bet. I was dead wrong about the flow of the game though. Figured it would be a long game with a bunch of throwing. 76 rushes. 63 passes. It didn't help that Nebraska missed on 4th and goal from the 3 late in the 2nd quarter either. It also didn't help when they had to settle for a FG late after having 1st and goal at the 2.

Thanks VK - still reading everything I can on Pike. Well have them up ASAP.

Meanwhile...

Grutza might be done for season
Posted by BKoch at 9/15/2008 12:22 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Quarterback Dustin Grutza is expected to be in a cast for three weeks, after which the ligament damage, which is the biggest concern according to Brian Kelly, will be evaluated. Kelly says there’s a comfort level that his leg will heal in three weeks, but there’s no way to know if he’ll be out for five weeks, eight weeks or the rest of the season.

“We have to operate on the fact that he might not play again this year,” Kelly said.

Meanwhile, Kelly says that Tony Pike allows him to use the same offense he used with Ben Mauk and Grutza without having to simplify things. The Bearcats are also trying to prepare Notre Dame transfer Demetrius Jones to play in case something happens to Pike.

“We’ve got to get him to a point where we’re one injury away from either Demetrius or a freshman," Kelly said. "This past week we’ve worked hard to put a package together that I think Demetrius can handle without throwing the whole offense at him.”

Box score observations from Week 3:

- USF scored 31 unanswered points at one point in the game.

- South Carolina out first-downed Georgia 20-17 and outgained them 289-252. However, SC gained only 18 yards on 16 carries. Georgia had 11 penalties for 114 yards.

- Missouri held the ball for only 23 minutes in their 69-17 win over Nevada.

- Rutgers out first-downed UNC 23-18 and outgained them 383-378. However, they were 0-9 on 3rd down and Teel threw four picks. UNC had scoring drives of 6, 51, 49, and 18 yards to go along with an INT return for a TD.

- La-Monroe gave up 266 yards passing to Alabama A&M. Also, after an 0-2 night, ULM kickers are now 2-7 on FGs for the season.

- Air Force was outgained 534-380 against Houston and failed to record a passing yard. However, they were 12-20 on 3rd down and won the turnover battle 2-0.

- Cal out first-downed Maryland 26-19 and won the yardage battle 461-297 (though much of this was in garbage time). However, Cal only had 38 yards on 23 carries and were a combined 2-13 on 3rd and 4th down. Maryland's K Obi Egekeze is now 0-5 on FGs this year after a 17-23 year last season.

- After 42 attempts against Florida Atlantic, Javon Ringer has now rushed 104 times in three games this season. In the rain, Rusty Smith and Brian Hoyer completed only 13 of 49 passes. Hoyer has completed only 44% of his throws thus far. FAU was a combined 2-18 on 3rd and 4th down. Each team punted 10 times.

- Minnesota recorded only 12 first downs in their 35-23 win over Montana St. Montana St. outgained them 356-352, but lost the turnover battle 3-0.

- Duke was 10-16 on 3rd down against Navy. Bryany and Kaipo split time at QB. 73 of Navy's 207 rushing yards came on one play.

- Wilson and Harrison Beck split time at QB for NC State. NC St's punter Pierson averaged only 33.4 on five punts.

- UL Lafayette had 19 first downs to Illinois' 18.

- EMU punter Treppa averaged only 30.7 on seven punts. There were 83 rushes to only 41 passes combined between EMU and Toledo. There were also 8 combined turnovers in the game.

- Iowa St. out first-downed Iowa 18 to 11 and outgained them by 80 yards. One of Iowa's scores was a 81 yard punt return from Brodell. Iowa St's kicker Mahoney was only 1-4 on FGs. Both Stanzi and Christensen saw time at QB for Iowa.

- Chris Jacquemain was responsible for all five of Akron's turnovers against Ball St.

- Stanford rushed for 71 yards on 29 tries against TCU. 68 of those yards came on two plays. TCU did not stretch the field, as their longest completion was only 14 yards.

- Miami OH trailed Charleston Southern 27-17 halfway through the 3rd quarter before scoring 21 straight to win 38-27.

- East Carolina turned it over four times against Tulane and only gained 56 yards on 30 carries.

- Wyoming trailed North Dakota St. 13-0 in the 3rd quarter and needed a +3 turnover margin and a last second field goal by Jake Scott to win 16-13.

- Pat Devlin relieved Daryll Clark early in the 2nd quarter against Syracuse and the two basically split time from that point forward. Rob Long averaged 51.3 yards on seven punts for Syracuse.

- Michigan's 6 turnovers did them in against Notre Dame despite a 21-14 first down advantage and a 388-260 yardage edge.

I'll get the rest of the games later.....

Last edited:
Thanks pags - will finish them up tonight.

Added:

Idaho/Utah St. UNDER 67 (1.65u to win 1.5)
Akron/Army UNDER 50.5 (1.65u to win 1.5)
Eastern Michigan/Maryland UNDER 52.5 (1.65u to win 1.5)
Houston/Colorado St. UNDER 61 (1.1u to win 1)

Continued.....

- BYU had 30 1st downs and was 13-17 on 3rd down against UCLA.

- GT lost the turnover battle 3-0 to Va. Tech. They lost 20-17 despite outgaining VT by 140 yards. VT had only 48 passing yards and Sean Glennon did not see one snap of action.

- There were 7 total TOs in the Purdue/Oregon game. Oregon outgained Purdue by nearly 100 yards, but they were a combined 6-22 on 3rd and 4th down (1-4 on 4th).

- Florida St. allowed only 7 1st downs and 164 total yards to Chattanooga. Tenn-Chat only rushed for 19 yards on 31 tries. Zach Hobby missed two FGs and an XP for FSU. That leaves him 1-4 on FGs and 13-15 on XPs this season. However, it should be pointed out that all of his FG attempts have been from at least 40 yards out.

- South Carolina had only 18 yards on 16 rushes. Georgia punter Mimbs averaged 52.2 on five punts, including a 77 yarder.

- Oregon St. scored 45 unanswered against Hawaii. They more than doubled Hawaii's yardage (485-211), won the TO battle 3-0, and held Hawaii to 1-11 on 3rd down.

- Despite losing 51-28, Idaho outgained WMU 455-416, out first-downed them 27-23, and was 7-15 on 3rd down (and 2-2 on 4th down). The game was tied at 14 early in the 3rd before WMU scored 23 points in about five minutes. This streak included a fumbled kick-off from Idaho, a safety, and three straight sacks from WMU. Idaho punter Conley averaged 52.6 yards on five punts (with two touchbacks, however). He now is averaging 48.1 yards per punt this year on 17 punts.

- Despite only 13 first downs, MTSU outgained Kentucky and Joe Craddock passed for 352 yards (with 65 yards or so coming on the final play). After a 2-6 day on FGs, Kentucky kicker Lonas Seiber is only 5-10 on FGs this year. Four of his five made FGs are from under 30 yards and he is only 1-5 from 30+.

- Mississippi trailed Samford until late in the 2nd quarter.

- Vandy ended the game with 24 unanswered against Rice. Rice outgained them, but lost the TO battle 2-0 and allowed Vandy to run for 273 yards.

- Nebraska ran 44 times to only 24 pass attempts.

- Alabama held WKU to 9 1st downs and outgained them by 400 yards.

- Despite the 17-16 final, Marshall and Memphis combined for 865 total yards and 42 first downs.

- Mississippi St. was a combined 0-17 on 3rd and 4th down.

- Arky St. outgained USM by 100 yards, but they lost the TO battle 2-1 and allowed USM to go 11-18 on 3rd down.

- Troy ran up 736 yards on Alcorn St., but they turned it over four times in the 65-0 win.

- Texas Tech ran up 693 yards against SMU. Logan Turner relieved Bo Levi Mitchell (who threw 5 INTs) late and went 5-13 for 58 yards and a TD.

- UConn ran for 382 yards against Virginia and outgained them by nearly 300 yards.

- Washington kickers were 0-3 on FGs against Oklahoma.

- SJSU held the ball for 40 minutes against SDSU. They outgained the Aztecs 476-146, out first-downed them 22-7, and allowed the Aztecs only 1 3rd down conversion on 12 tries. SJSU does have some special team problems though: kicker Jared Strubeck is now 2-6 on FGs this year, and punter Philip Zavala is averaging only 34.2 yards per punt on 16 tries.

- Vrvilo was 0-2 on FGs for Bowling Green. BG lost the TO battle 3-1 to Boise St, but they were 3-3 on 4th down and had a chance to cut the lead to six late before turning it over.

- New Mexico beat Arizona due to winning the TO battle 5-1. New Mexico was outgained, had three less first downs, was 3-13 on 3rd down, and committed nine penalties for 76 yards.

- Utah was a combined 13-19 on 3rd and 4th down and outgained Utah St. 446-116. Utah did not punt once.

- Fresno St. kicker Kevin Goessling was 1-4 on FGs against Wisconsin.

Miami OH at Cincinnati (-11.5)

Ok, been looking at this game for the past few days and I think I have finally gotten a handle on it. First, let's check out last year's game:

Cincy won 47-10 in Miami OH. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272580193

Remember that Mauk was a late scratch with arm weakness and Grutza had to step in at the last second. It really didn't matter: Grutza ate them alive to the tune of 25-35 for 290 and two scores (Pike was 1-1 for seven yards, for what its worth).

Cincy won the TO battle 4-0. Neither team had much success running the football. Cincy outgained Miami OH by only 115 yards, but the Redhawks had some late trash yardage. Kokal started the game for Miami OH and proved to be the wrong choice by the oft-incorrect Shane Montgomery. Raudabaugh ended up throwing for 240, but needed 45 tries to do it.

What will be different in this year's game:

1. The obvious: Pike in for Grutza and Kokal won't put Miami OH in a 9-0 hole before Raudabuagh comes in.

2. Cincy's DL vs. Miami OL - both are probably weaker than last year's versions. Cincy's smothered Miami QBs last year. They could again this season, but it won't be to the same extent with the DE play that they lost. Miami had three guys returning to the OL this year, but injury problems have forced them shuffle things around and after a poor first two games, Montgomery stated that he was "encouraged" that his rebuilt OL held Charleston Southern without a sack. That is supposed to happen against winless I-AA teams. Still, though, one has to think that Cincy's DL has regressed more than Miami's OL. New DE Connor Barwin (who had 109 receiving yards in this game last year) had this quote after the Oklahoma game: "I hope that Loadholt (Oklahoma LT) is an eventual top 10 draft pick, because if he isn't, I have a lot of work to do."

3. The turnover margin: Unlikely that Cincy wins 4-0 again.

4. The penalty margin: Cincy was a penalty machine last year (and could be this year), but in last year's game, Cincy had 9 flags for 90 yards as opposed to Miami OH's 5 for 25. Probably won't see that again in Cincinnati.

5. The crowd. There were 22,000 last year in Miami and it was probably a 50/50 split. This year, it should be nearly a packed house with all pro-Cincy sentiment. This game was moved to 7:30 in order to basically guarantee a solid crowd.

What hasn't changed:

1. Cincy's back seven. Miami OH will have to dink and dunk in the passing game like last year in order to gain yardage. Miami OH could drive on Cincy, but they'll have to be patient and sustain drives.

2. Miami's entire defense. Can't help but wonder if they have regressed a little though. Torched by the Vandy running game and 27 points to a below-average I-AAer in Charleston Southern? Strange. Their "stud" trio of LBs have not been consistent enough.

3. The coaching advantage. Kelly >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Montgomery. That amount of arrows was a kind estimate, too. I may be two or three short.

4. Both team's receiving cores.

5. Like last year, I don't expect either team to have consistent success on the ground. (editorial note: John Goebel should have a firmer grasp on the Cincy RB job than he currently does. Jacob Ramsey dances around the LOS while Goebel runs forward).

6. The special teams. Rogers was 1-3 on FGs against Miami OH last year. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same out of him/Yuengling this year (Kelly has said that he may not choose a kicker for the game until it is time to send one onto the field). Basically, each team returns their guys at K and P. Miami OH needs to watch out for the Cincy return game though, as they had three kickoff returns of 50+ against Oklahoma.

7. Kelly's killer instinct. Many of Cincinnati's current scheduled games (Miami OH, Marshall) were deals that were made when D'Antonio was around. With Cincinnati making their supposed "step forward" last year, Kelly doesn't believe that they should be playing these teams in home and homes. He wants 2 for 1s here along with at least one game against a big time non-conference foe. If Cincy is up 21 early in the 4th, they won't be looking to run clock.

As for this year's game, you should see far more passing than running once again. Cincy will probably run slightly more in order to get Pike comfortable.

This is unfortunately a good spot for Miami OH - basically, they have nothing to lose and they'll have a bye week after Cincy with which to prepare for the conference schedule. On the other hand, there is some pressure on Pike in his first start. It's a tricky game, but Cincy is not only expected to win, you know that Kelly wants to win convincingly.

I do think that the Cincinnati defense will have a renewed sense of urgency after the Oklahoma game. Because of that, I have a tough time seeing Miami OH getting more than 17 here (barring Cincy turnovers deep in their own territory, of course).

So, I can't recommend Miami OH here. After all, this is basically the same Cincy team (outside of QB and DL) that beat them 47-10 last year.

I do lean Cincy, and they may be a gameday play for me. I'm still mulling that much over. I can't get over the uncertainty of Pike and how Kelly still went with Grutza even though he seemingly wanted someone other than Grutza to step up and take the job. Pike has the strong arm that Grutza lacks, but the fact that Grutza won the job must point to a deficiency in Pike's game. Tunnel vision? Decision-making? Is he unable to check off his first option? I'm not sure. Even if he has a problem, will we see it against the likes of Miami OH? Or will it not surface until the conference schedule? Or at all?

The uncertainty of Pike is keeping me away here. I wonder what the spread would be with Grutza in there. The only thing that I know about Pike is that he is a 6'5'' pocket-passer with a stronger arm than Grutza's. Hopefully I'll know a little more by 10:30 PM on Saturday.

Cincinnati 31
Miami OH 14

If anyone has definitive updated info on EMU QB Andy Schmitt, please post it here. Everything I look at says uncertain, but feel like I might be looking in the wrong places. I feel like I have a very good feel for this EMU game, but Schmitt determines how much I will bet on it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Posted at 7:00 PM ET, 09/18/2008

<!-- date header ends here -->EMU QB Sidelined

[FONT=Times New Roman,times,serif]<!-- begin category/blogger sigs --><!-- end category/blogger sigs -->YPSILANTI, Mich. --- Justin Souva, the sports editor at the EMU student newspaper, just e-mailed me saying that EMU Coach Genyk announced that starting quarterback Andy Schmitt will not play against Maryland. Schmitt played some last week in the loss against Toledo, but was nursing a shoulder injury. He was listed as day-to-day all week this week. Genyk would not disclose specific details about the injury, but Souva told me that Schmitt was wearing a sling on his left arm. Souva said Schmitt got hurt on the last play of a non-contact practice on Sept. 11. Kyle McMahon will start in Schmitt's place. For much more on the EMU team and this story, check out updates on Souva's blog and in the sports section.
[/FONT]

DMoney,

I'm sure the fact Pike threw 3 piks in 20 attempts last year doesn't have exactly have Kelly too excited about playing him.

DMoney,

I'm sure the fact Pike threw 3 piks in 20 attempts last year doesn't have exactly have Kelly too excited about playing him.

Agreed. While his 40 or so career attempts is way too small of a sample with which to judge him, it isn't encouraging either. I'm not particularly optimistic either.

For the future bet we need to survive the "easy" stretch of maimi oh , at akron and at marshall and hope he has a grasp of the whole offense and the confidence to perform in conference after that.

Sadly VK, we might need them all.

Added:

Eastern Michigan +21.5 (1.65u to win 1.5)
Eastern Michigan ML +1100 (0.2u to win 2.2)

Anyone have an opinion on these team totals:

Wyoming under 12
Fla. Int Under 13.5
Ball St. over 29
Auburn under 18

Back