Week 3 What Are We Learning

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Despite their losing, I continue to gain respect for Leos.

More evidence that Texans run D is ridiculously awful...despite hype after preseason about their being an improved unit.

Already quite apparent last week, Commanders have a serious issue at DC that makes opp TT over always a consideration

Chris Olave real deal already

More evidence that Texans run D is ridiculously awful...despite hype after preseason about their being an improved unit.
I get they are trying to strip the ball, but when 5 of them have a limb and a torso without being able to get the guy down. You smell.
I watch them every week. Love betting them, they're gonna get there.
It amazing to watch a defense and think the strength coach is stealing.

Bills figured out a way to lose with 497 yards of offense, 31 first downs, 11-18 on 3rd down, 40 minutes TOP and 90 offensive plays to 39. And only 1 turnover.

Vikings figured out a way to win with Jefferson catching 3 for 14 and Cook leaving mid-game with a shoulder injury.

Houston stinks against the run. The Bears do not want to throw passes and today they didn't have to.

Indy is fine. Cincy is fine.

The Chargers are frauds yet again. Not sure the Raiders ever were.

Overall defenses seemed to be well ahead of offenses today.

#1 receivers were taken away today on a regular basis:

B Cooks - 2 of 7 for 22
Mooney - 2 of 6 for 23
Adams - 5 of 10 for 36
Woods - 4 of 9 for 85
Kelce - 4 of 8 for 58
Diggs was eh, 7 of 11 for 74
Tyreek - 2 of 4 for 33
Amon-Ra was so-so - 6 of 9 for 73
Jefferson - 3 of 6 for 14
Chase 6 of 10 for 29
Wilson 6 of 10 for 60
AJ 5 of 10 for 85
DJ Moore - 1 of 6 for 2, woof
Mike Williams 1 of 6 for 15
Kupp 4 of 6 for 44

Thats 58 of 118, lest than 50% for nearly 60% of the stud receivers playing today.

Also only 11 QBs have more than 1 TD pass this week.

I know Bills started a mash unit back there today but I think KJ said it early. Dolphins might be a problem

Two huge things jumped out at me today and they're both bigger picture issues rather than exactly team-specific.

The first is that it's really easy by the end of the season to have a good read on a team. Obviously, but think about it. The season is three-plus months long. By the tims it's over, you know these teams. And I think that's one reason it can be so difficult that following season to adjust to what a team is now as opposed to what you've gotten used to them being. Or even what you imagine them being.

For example. Last year, pretty early on we all knew Jacksonville was going to be shit because Urban Meyer was over his head. So we had months to watch that team—at team which sucked for years before he got there—and then last year they just went out and sucked some more. They had a couple of moments, and they had some talent, but generally, Jacksonville sucked so bad how could you really see them turning it around by the start of this year.

Similarly, Houston was clearly doing nearly everything they could to tank last year even if nobody told Mills that was the plan. And they kept getting rid of their talent, so again, to turn the ship around in any meaningful way seemed really difficult.

And just like Houston, before this season started, it was pretty easy to paint Atlanta as this year's Texans. They looked like a team that was generally only trying to win like three games this season. Maybe fewer.

My point is, now that we're seeing these teams on the field, it's clear that the reality is different than the expectation (at least for me) and so what I'm trying to tell myself is, you have to let go of what you thought this team would be—especially if through these first three weeks they've proven they are something different.

Back to Jacksonville. This game I watched a good bit of today (God help me). And yes, the Chargers are banged up. And it got worse during the game, Bosa went out, so did Slater on the OL. And Herbert's nowhere near 100%. However, honestly, Jacksonville kicked the shit out of LA, injured or not. Lawrence looked good. Their offense looked good. And, to me, this is a perfect example of the other thing that hit me today, which is how adding a competent head coach can really improve your team almost overnight. This really became crystal clear to me today seeing the difference between a team like Jacksonville of last year and this.

Doug Petersen is good with QBs. I think Jacksonville is going to be a tough out for teams almost every week of the season.

Also, Lovie Smith is a quality turnaround coach. He's not going to be there if and when this Houston team gets the talent to be good again. But he's a guy that can take a 5-11 team and make them 8-8. Or you know, thereabouts now that we're at 17 games. Point being, Houston now is not Houston of last season. Neither is Jacksonville. Neither are the Bears really.

On the other side of this, and I know this is still really fresh in my mind, but I said it after week one and I'm still going to say it, I think Denver may have the worst head coach in the NFL. They won that game tonight in spite of him. Their defense is good, and they're going to win games, but this clown is going to cost them.

Well, shit, now that I'm typing this out I am thinking more things about specific teams ...

Speaking of the AFC, there's a chance the Raiders are just bad.

There's a chance Arizona is too. Honestly, the whole NFC West looks messy.

There's also a chance that without Mac Jones (I know the xrays were negative, but that looked A LOT like an ankle sprain), that New England is all kinds of fucked.

I have a ticket on the Colts to win their division at plus money and I have zero confidence it cashes even though I think every team in that division is average on their best day.

Carson Wentz sucks. Jalen Hurts is the man. And a Joe's heart is happy because fuck Carson Wentz. Also because Hurts has done nothing but everything you want your QB to do to win over a locker room and win games. I love it. Go Birds.

If I'm Cincy, I'm worried about my ability to pass block. Yes, still.

If I'm Cleveland, I'm worried about my ability to throw the ball.

If I'm Buffalo, I'm not worried about losing today.

If I'm Kansas City, I'm not worried about losing today either.

If I'm Indy I'm worried because, like Arizona, I think they may have a lot of problems under the surface that are going to implode that team.

I've I'm Baltimore I'm worried about all the injuries in my secondary.

If I'm Denver, I've realized my head coach is a chicken-fucker, my QB is a used dildo, and my offense may only be good for 13 points a game.

If I'm the Jets I'm worried because Flacco sucks and because for the last two weeks teams have pretty much done whatever they've wanted to us like we were BAR's sister all through junior college. Great gal though and she really got her life together after college. Not everyone can be the district manager of a White Castle for a significant period of time. I mean, Steed did it for like six weeks once, but that kind of proves my point, tbh.

If I'm Pittsburgh I'm terrified that my defense without Watt is going to wear down by about week six and we're going to start losing by double digits every week until we say 'Fuck it, it's Pickett time.'

If I'm Seattle I'm as worried now as I was before the start of the season. And I was a lot worried before the start of the season, a lot.

If I'm the Rams I'm worried that I'm old and it's already caught up to me.

If I'm the Bucs I'm worried that my offense isn't healthy enough to field a competitive side while my defense is good enough to win the NFC.

If I'm Green Bay I'm psyched because my defense is getting better every week and so are these young skill position players. I didn't find today's game in Tampa nearly as close as that score.

If I'm New Orleans I have kind of the same concern as Tampa. I need an offense to go with my defense.

If I'm Carolina I'm scared that Baker is going to blow up my team. And, honestly, he probably will.

If I'm Miami, I'm getting high as fuck tonight because we're 3-0 with two division wins and we're sitting pretty. I'm also low-key worried that we're going to get busted for sending Tua back into the game when he was clearly—CLEARLY—concussed. But that's kind of a front office problem.

If I'm Minnesota, I'm feeling pretty good right now. You played a really shitty game and still won. Major onions right there.

If I'm Detroit, I'm mad, but I honestly feel pretty good. As CTG will tell you, this team is going to be a tough out all season.

If I'm me, I need to tell myself to stop playing teasers. And then I need to tell me SHUT UP, YOU'RE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD, I HATE YOU.

OK, that's it. I didn't even really think I had thoughts about today, but apparently I had some thoughts about today. Ha.

Oh, no, a couple more:

I lost on the Bills TT today, but I'm probably back on that next week.

I'm almost certainly playing Detroit overs at home and in domes until they lose. You won/lost/pushed today depending on the number you got, but combined those teams missed not one, but three FGs today. That was a dead over game.

As someone who likes overs, that KC, Arizona and Philly all fell well short of their totals today gives me hope that it will bring their numbers down just a touch in the near term. Which may feel weird to say about Arizona, but I throw today's game out, this is how those Rams games always go. I was dumb not to bet LAR. But I still think AZ has potentially offensively. And I love what Philly and KC can do in terms of putting points on the board. Like Balty and Buffalo, These teams should live at 24+ and that also makes a Joe happy.

OK, now I'm done. For now. Ha.

Two huge things jumped out at me today and they're both bigger picture issues rather than exactly team-specific.

The first is that it's really easy by the end of the season to have a good read on a team. Obviously, but think about it. The season is three-plus months long. By the tims it's over, you know these teams. And I think that's one reason it can be so difficult that following season to adjust to what a team is now as opposed to what you've gotten used to them being. Or even what you imagine them being.

For example. Last year, pretty early on we all knew Jacksonville was going to be shit because Urban Meyer was over his head. So we had months to watch that team—at team which sucked for years before he got there—and then last year they just went out and sucked some more. They had a couple of moments, and they had some talent, but generally, Jacksonville sucked so bad how could you really see them turning it around by the start of this year.

Similarly, Houston was clearly doing nearly everything they could to tank last year even if nobody told Mills that was the plan. And they kept getting rid of their talent, so again, to turn the ship around in any meaningful way seemed really difficult.

And just like Houston, before this season started, it was pretty easy to paint Atlanta as this year's Texans. They looked like a team that was generally only trying to win like three games this season. Maybe fewer.

My point is, now that we're seeing these teams on the field, it's clear that the reality is different than the expectation (at least for me) and so what I'm trying to tell myself is, you have to let go of what you thought this team would be—especially if through these first three weeks they've proven they are something different.

Back to Jacksonville. This game I watched a good bit of today (God help me). And yes, the Chargers are banged up. And it got worse during the game, Bosa went out, so did Slater on the OL. And Herbert's nowhere near 100%. However, honestly, Jacksonville kicked the shit out of LA, injured or not. Lawrence looked good. Their offense looked good. And, to me, this is a perfect example of the other thing that hit me today, which is how adding a competent head coach can really improve your team almost overnight. This really became crystal clear to me today seeing the difference between a team like Jacksonville of last year and this.

Doug Petersen is good with QBs. I think Jacksonville is going to be a tough out for teams almost every week of the season.

Also, Lovie Smith is a quality turnaround coach. He's not going to be there if and when this Houston team gets the talent to be good again. But he's a guy that can take a 5-11 team and make them 8-8. Or you know, thereabouts now that we're at 17 games. Point being, Houston now is not Houston of last season. Neither is Jacksonville. Neither are the Bears really.

On the other side of this, and I know this is still really fresh in my mind, but I said it after week one and I'm still going to say it, I think Denver may have the worst head coach in the NFL. They won that game tonight in spite of him. Their defense is good, and they're going to win games, but this clown is going to cost them.

Well, shit, now that I'm typing this out I am thinking more things about specific teams ...

Speaking of the AFC, there's a chance the Raiders are just bad.

There's a chance Arizona is too. Honestly, the whole NFC West looks messy.

There's also a chance that without Mac Jones (I know the xrays were negative, but that looked A LOT like an ankle sprain), that New England is all kinds of fucked.

I have a ticket on the Colts to win their division at plus money and I have zero confidence it cashes even though I think every team in that division is average on their best day.

Carson Wentz sucks. Jalen Hurts is the man. And a Joe's heart is happy because fuck Carson Wentz. Also because Hurts has done nothing but everything you want your QB to do to win over a locker room and win games. I love it. Go Birds.

If I'm Cincy, I'm worried about my ability to pass block. Yes, still.

If I'm Cleveland, I'm worried about my ability to throw the ball.

If I'm Buffalo, I'm not worried about losing today.

If I'm Kansas City, I'm not worried about losing today either.

If I'm Indy I'm worried because, like Arizona, I think they may have a lot of problems under the surface that are going to implode that team.

I've I'm Baltimore I'm worried about all the injuries in my secondary.

If I'm Denver, I've realized my head coach is a chicken-fucker, my QB is a used dildo, and my offense may only be good for 13 points a game.

If I'm the Jets I'm worried because Flacco sucks and because for the last two weeks teams have pretty much done whatever they've wanted to us like we were BAR's sister all through junior college. Great gal though and she really got her life together after college. Not everyone can be the district manager of a White Castle for a significant period of time. I mean, Steed did it for like six weeks once, but that kind of proves my point, tbh.

If I'm Pittsburgh I'm terrified that my defense without Watt is going to wear down by about week six and we're going to start losing by double digits every week until we say 'Fuck it, it's Pickett time.'

If I'm Seattle I'm as worried now as I was before the start of the season. And I was a lot worried before the start of the season, a lot.

If I'm the Rams I'm worried that I'm old and it's already caught up to me.

If I'm the Bucs I'm worried that my offense isn't healthy enough to field a competitive side while my defense is good enough to win the NFC.

If I'm Green Bay I'm psyched because my defense is getting better every week and so are these young skill position players. I didn't find today's game in Tampa nearly as close as that score.

If I'm New Orleans I have kind of the same concern as Tampa. I need an offense to go with my defense.

If I'm Carolina I'm scared that Baker is going to blow up my team. And, honestly, he probably will.

If I'm Miami, I'm getting high as fuck tonight because we're 3-0 with two division wins and we're sitting pretty. I'm also low-key worried that we're going to get busted for sending Tua back into the game when he was clearly—CLEARLY—concussed. But that's kind of a front office problem.

If I'm Minnesota, I'm feeling pretty good right now. You played a really shitty game and still won. Major onions right there.

If I'm Detroit, I'm mad, but I honestly feel pretty good. As CTG will tell you, this team is going to be a tough out all season.

If I'm me, I need to tell myself to stop playing teasers. And then I need to tell me SHUT UP, YOU'RE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD, I HATE YOU.

OK, that's it. I didn't even really think I had thoughts about today, but apparently I had some thoughts about today. Ha.

Oh, no, a couple more:

I lost on the Bills TT today, but I'm probably back on that next week.

I'm almost certainly playing Detroit overs at home and in domes until they lose. You won/lost/pushed today depending on the number you got, but combined those teams missed not one, but three FGs today. That was a dead over game.

As someone who likes overs, that KC, Arizona and Philly all fell well short of their totals today gives me hope that it will bring their numbers down just a touch in the near term. Which may feel weird to say about Arizona, but I throw today's game out, this is how those Rams games always go. I was dumb not to bet LAR. But I still think AZ has potentially offensively. And I love what Philly and KC can do in terms of putting points on the board. Like Balty and Buffalo, These teams should live at 24+ and that also makes a Joe happy.

OK, now I'm done. For now. Ha.

Denver coach is brutal.

You are right on Jax, just totally waxed LAC ass no matter how its sliced.

Dan Campbell bless his heart, he called a great game for 99% of it then fucked up the most important 1%, the end of it.

Arizona just has no juice in their step.

Lamar is a God.

People need to get off Buffalos nuts. Miami is legit.

The Buffalo box score is absolutely dominant, and they lost the game.

I mean, look at it again, it's shocking.

No knock on Miami, but they absolutely stole one today.

Coaching is as bad as it's been in my lifetime.

KC so lucky to be in a division with two of the worst coaches in the game.

MCDC really messed up trying that FG, otherwise love his game today.

Coaching is as bad as it's been in my lifetime.

KC so lucky to be in a division with two of the worst coaches in the game.

MCDC really messed up trying that FG, otherwise love his game today.
Campbell is going to win a super bowl, may not be in detroit, but I cant remember a coach who had his team so ready to run through a wall for him

Hes always gonna be reliant on coordinators imo for a team to be an elite level

As a leader of men he may already be a clear 1A in the league

Yes, I've not actually seen more than a quarter of Raiders football this year.
Chargers was a bad 1st half, game was 1 score last few mins

Cards last week was a terrible 2nd half on offense and it still needed kyler performing 3 miracles and a renfrow concussion fumble to lose

Today was 1 for 12 on 3rd down

Waller has dropped a few potentially huge plays this year which is super rare

They should have 1 or 2 wins

Broncos is must win next week, I see they are -1.5 now which I think is kinda low, would have expected 3, broncos have absolutely played much worse.

If they lose that, after is chiefs on mnf, going into that 0-4 would be disastrous

Reek and waddle may be best wr combo in the league, have to respect their speed so much, get them both on a go route or deep post and the high safety basically has to pick 1 pre pass, which means the other is gonna be open, happened twice today and was wide open both times

How does Shanahan keep his job? He’s 40-44 with 2 winning seasons going into his 6th season. He’s 1-2 in 2022 vs a cream puff start to his schedule. Interior oline is still a major issue. LT Williams walked from the field directly to the locker room. Only 2 things consistent with Santa Clara is their D is legit and Shanahan being a fraud. He turned down a 10 yard penalty to allow a 55 yard fg?
Even the chooch HC in Denver would’ve taken the penalty….I think.
That should get things going! Lol

Dolphins had a 5 yard TD drive in the 1st Q after Allen fumbled. So while turnovers are generally worth about 4 points, this one paid the full 7.

Bills gave away a 51 yd FG attempt at the end of the half. Allen bobbled the spike snap and instead of corralling it and spiking he tried to whip it over the Diggs who caught it and was tackled.

Bass then missed a 38 yard FG in the third.

Bills couldn't convert on 1st and goal at the Miami 2.

And with 18 seconds left, Allen hits McKenzie in the middle of the field and instead of just running vertical and taking what he could get he took an extra few seconds to run sideways and still gets tackled inbounds with 8 seconds left, not quite enough time to set up the spike. Dumb mistake by a young player.

That's how you can dominate and still lose. McDermott seems to get one of these on his plate every year. Last year it was Pittsburgh week 1.

Bears scoring drives
1 - FG 9 plays, 46 yards - Fields 1 for 4, 11 yards. On third and 10 in FG range they ran Montgomery.
2 - TD 7 plays, 81 yards - Fields 1 for 2, 5 yards
3 - FG 12 plays, 50 yards - Fields 1 for 3, 24 yards, also a sack
4 - TD 5 plays, 75 yards - Field 1 for 1, 20 yards
5 - FG 4 plays, -1 yard - no passes

Bears score 23 points, move the ball for 251 yards on the scoring drives, and Fields went 4 for 10 for 60 yards on those drives. Wow. Can a run D be any worse?

Eagles-Ol'Skins game was weird. 5 punts in the 1st Q. Eagles explode for 24 in the 2nd Q where they also turned it over on downs on an 8 play, 86 yard drive. Then in the 2nd half they get four first downs and punt it four times. Defense was impressive again. But they got lit up by Goff in week 1, so I don't know what to think.

I thought the book on Hoodie was he takes away your best option and makes you beat them with your other guys?

So how does Mandrews snag 8 for 89 and 2 TDs?

And how frustrating is life with Rashod Bateman on your fantasy team? pretty damn frustrating, but not as bad as having DJ Moore......yeesh. Baker is a coach killer.

How does Shanahan keep his job? He’s 40-44 with 2 winning seasons going into his 6th season. He’s 1-2 in 2022 vs a cream puff start to his schedule. Interior oline is still a major issue. LT Williams walked from the field directly to the locker room. Only 2 things consistent with Santa Clara is their D is legit and Shanahan being a fraud. He turned down a 10 yard penalty to allow a 55 yard fg?

Because he’s 35-15 without Hoyer and Mullens basically. But he needs to embrace the analytics. Way too risk adverse. It’s frustrating. I wouldn’t say a road game in Denver is a cream puff. Season on the line next week and if they can’t dominate the Rams at home (real home not SF South) then they’re in trouble. I didn’t love the spot last night, had a boat on the line vs Seattle, and probably will have a small cottage on the line this week vs a soft Rams team.

Doubs possibly emerging as a threat is huge for GB. Already know this defense is very good and now the offense should get going a bit

From here on out is where we’re starting to see injuries starting to mount, depth starting to become more and more of a factor for teams. This is where I think Philly has an edge, they loaded up the DL and secondary in the off-season plus already have an elite OL with depth.

Tampa will be fine once Evans and Godwin are back

Bills will be fine. Although the cluster injuries to the secondary are very much a concern and they need White back

KC will be OK but how do they still have no run game? They controlled the second half and simply could not put the game away.

Adams cannot get open against single coverage or double coverage, nor sit down vs a zone ever. It doesn't matter too much because Carr is so inaccurate. Carr has been really bad. Waller may need an eye exam as he is unable to make important catches. The raiders run defense was the most offensive thing the raiders had yesterday and by offensive, I mean it smelled bad. Titans uncharacteristically made some bad coaching decisions (I like that coach) but Raiders couldn't capitalize because the Adams/Carr combo is overrated. I thought outside of Waller, Carr and Adams, the offensive players actually played decently, including the offensive line. When your so-called superstars suck, your team is gonna suck. Raiders won a lot of close games last year but as is typical, the reverse is true for this year. Their schedule is absolutely brutal too so you can put a fork in those guys. They are done.

Josh Allen has a ways to go to be John Elway. Bills are still my pick to win it all but Allen really made a lot of TERRIBLE plays to go along with some of his good plays. The TERRIBLE plays cost them a lot of points too, though Bass is no sure thing. What the hell was that kick? To see Allen screw up the clock twice to end two halves was just awful to watch. I suspect the bills put it in the dolphins pooper when they play later in the year.

I guess Brees was better than I thought.

I think Tampa Bay is probably pretty good. Offense is missing several key cylinders. I look for that to get much better.

I didn't really expect much from SF last night, although I kind of figured they'd win. But even though JG has been the starter in the past, I definitely did not expect the transition to be seemless. I think they all, including coaches, need to adjust. And they will, last night was just a bad spot for them imo.

I didn't really expect much from SF last night, although I kind of figured they'd win. But even though JG has been the starter in the past, I definitely did not expect the transition to be seemless. I think they all, including coaches, need to adjust. And they will, last night was just a bad spot for them imo.

Yeah bad spot and JG is super rusty. Didn’t even practice with the team until a couple of weeks ago after not throwing a football for 6 months. Worst thing is likely losing Trent till the bye week in over a month from now.

From here on out is where we’re starting to see injuries starting to mount, depth starting to become more and more of a factor for teams. This is where I think Philly has an edge, they loaded up the DL and secondary in the off-season plus already have an elite OL with depth.

Huge point right here for me. If every team is 100%, no way I'm on Green Bay yesterday. I'm probably not on NYG tonight either. But nobody is 100% healthy and the more key the injuries are, and the worse off you are in terms of depth, the more that's going to impact whether your team is bettable or not.

This is why I'm worried about Pittsburgh's defense holding up, and why I'd now be worried if I'm the Chargers. Key injuries to guys who make your team go are absolute killers.

Conversely, this is why I could see someone like Cleveland making a late run—if they stay healthy. Come the back third of the season, they're getting a massive talent upgrade at QB.

Yeah bad spot and JG is super rusty. Didn’t even practice with the team until a couple of weeks ago after not throwing a football for 6 months. Worst thing is likely losing Trent till the bye week in over a month from now.

Huge if that's the case. It sucks that so much in this league revolves around the luck of staying healthy. But especially on the OL, if you cannot block in this league, you are not winning in this league.

Which is why Cincy needs to get it figured out like yesterday imo.

This was essentially the story of the Browns game from a week ago against the Jets. Which I bring up mostly because it sets up teams like Buffalo to rebound strong the next week. I'd prefer Buffalo weren't playing someone good like Balty, but that total may be worth the look. Buffalo with injuries on that defense, Baltimore with half a secondary.

And Bills were missing half their defense. This Miami win, somehow proves, that these teams aren’t even close to one another.

This was essentially the story of the Browns game from a week ago against the Jets. Which I bring up mostly because it sets up teams like Buffalo to rebound strong the next week. I'd prefer Buffalo weren't playing someone good like Balty, but that total may be worth the look. Buffalo with injuries on that defense, Baltimore with half a secondary.
Good comparison.

I guess my big question on the Eagles, is that defense... Are they legit? Obviously Detroit has scored on everyone. Monday night was impressive. Obviously Washington is hot trash, but still another good performance.

Looking at their schedule, I do not see any explosive offenses for some time. The schedule is nice. Maybe by Thanksgiving weekend when they play the Packers we'll see them tested. Otherwise, this week versus the Jags might be the stiffest test.

I'm going to be placing some wagers on them in the next day or two... Just still examining how/ what...

Losing Slater for the year is just massive.

As to the question of the Birds' defense, I would argue that they are legit—if you're simply basing it on talent and not scheme. I don't know if we know enough yet about how well coached they are on that side of the ball. It seems that way, but they had all camp to prepare for Detroit. Which seemed fine until they kind of got on the bus early in the second half. Their gameplan for Minny was great, but it was kind of not all that necessary after Hurts put up 300+ yards and four scores in the first half.

In basically all three of their games so far their offense has worked so well that they've made the other team one-dimensional really quickly.

But, if that's going to happen in the majority of their games, this defense is going to look great. Because they have guys who can get to the QB and they've rebuilt the back half of that secondary so it's not just Slay any more. If you can't balance your offense against them and can only throw, you're probably going to look a lot like Minnesota. You'll move the ball, and you'll probably get some points (like Detroit) but you'll also turn it over (like Minny).

Dolphins had a 5 yard TD drive in the 1st Q after Allen fumbled. So while turnovers are generally worth about 4 points, this one paid the full 7.

Bills gave away a 51 yd FG attempt at the end of the half. Allen bobbled the spike snap and instead of corralling it and spiking he tried to whip it over the Diggs who caught it and was tackled.

Bass then missed a 38 yard FG in the third.

Bills couldn't convert on 1st and goal at the Miami 2.

And with 18 seconds left, Allen hits McKenzie in the middle of the field and instead of just running vertical and taking what he could get he took an extra few seconds to run sideways and still gets tackled inbounds with 8 seconds left, not quite enough time to set up the spike. Dumb mistake by a young player.

That's how you can dominate and still lose. McDermott seems to get one of these on his plate every year. Last year it was Pittsburgh week 1.

I’m not positive, but pretty sure that once Allen bobbled that snap he couldn’t just spike it as it would have been intentional grounding. If not, he absolutely should have just spiked it.

I’m not positive, but pretty sure that once Allen bobbled that snap he couldn’t just spike it as it would have been intentional grounding. If not, he absolutely should have just spiked it.
I think they said that on the broadcast, wasn't 100% paying attention. But IIRC the snap was bobbled but never hit the ground. I can't imagine a ref throwing a flag and calling that grounding given the clock situation. Despite the league trying to eliminate intent in grounding calls, it still comes into play. But even if they would throw a flag, there was no other scenario that gives them a chance at points, so you ground it anyways and hope for a favored call.

Whipping it horizontal to a covered Diggs was mostly begging for a pick 6. Allen must've thought the bobble took longer than it did so the clock would run out, but I don't think it would've. It wasn't Allen's worst play, the fumble and the one-hopper to McKenzie on 4th and goal take the gold and silver, but was in the running for making the podium.

Don’t forget pipkins and linsley are banged up on the chargers OL also, DNP yesterday. Herbert will be far from 100% for a bit obviously. Luckily their October schedule is very soft

Eagles-Ol'Skins game was weird. 5 punts in the 1st Q. Eagles explode for 24 in the 2nd Q where they also turned it over on downs on an 8 play, 86 yard drive. Then in the 2nd half they get four first downs and punt it four times. Defense was impressive again. But they got lit up by Goff in week 1, so I don't know what to think.

I think they said that on the broadcast, wasn't 100% paying attention. But IIRC the snap was bobbled but never hit the ground. I can't imagine a ref throwing a flag and calling that grounding given the clock situation. Despite the league trying to eliminate intent in grounding calls, it still comes into play. But even if they would throw a flag, there was no other scenario that gives them a chance at points, so you ground it anyways and hope for a favored call.

Whipping it horizontal to a covered Diggs was mostly begging for a pick 6. Allen must've thought the bobble took longer than it did so the clock would run out, but I don't think it would've. It wasn't Allen's worst play, the fumble and the one-hopper to McKenzie on 4th and goal take the gold and silver, but was in the running for making the podium.

I wasn’t putting any stock in anything the announcers said, especially after the suggestion that Miami intentionally take a safety up 4 which was hilarious. Yeah, let’s give them a chance to win with a FG as opposed to then having to score a TD. Brilliant!

Does the Butt Punt move onto this list? And if so, where?

Top Ten Worst Plays of all time

Back