Week 3 Upset Picks Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
College Football Week 3 Upset Alert: Tennessee Struggles in the Swamp

Kansas State Wildcats vs. Missouri Tigers
Saturday, September 16, 2023 at noon ET at Memorial Stadium/Faurot Field in Columbia, Missouri

Concerns About Kansas State's Offense

Scoring 87 points, as Kansas State has done through two games, might seem impressive.

But let's consider that the Wildcats' first opponent was FCS team Southeast Missouri State.

Their second opponent was a Troy team that gave up 30 points to FCS school Stephen F. Austin.

These two offensive outputs mask the significant loss of talent that the Wildcats' offense experienced during the offseason, which will become apparent against any team with a pulse.

Specifically, the Wildcats lost a lot at the skill positions.

Running back Deuce Vaughn, who amassed nearly 2,000 yards from scrimmage last year, is irreplaceable.

In addition to losing Vaughn, their top wide receiver departed. They lock proven depth at wide receiver.

Missouri's Defense

Last year, the Tigers' defense took a major step forward, as evident in its almost nine-point reduction in points allowed per game.

They were particularly strong against the run, ranking 31st nationally in rushing yards allowed per game and becoming one of the best teams at achieving tackles for loss.

With their returning production (eight starters have come back), they are primed to build on this success.

This strength in run defense makes them match up well against a K-State offense that, although it can't replace Vaughn, still wants to rely extensively on its running back group, especially while its wide receiver group is depleted.

Missouri Offense vs. K-State Defense

The Tigers return an experienced offensive line unit that ranked 44th, according to PFF, in run-blocking last year.

Whereas they improved with the addition of a Houston guard who was regarded as one of the top blockers in his conference last year, the Wildcats' defensive line suffers for losing a key pass rusher to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Against a Wildcats' run defense that was mediocre last year, Cody Schrader will continue averaging five yards a carry.

Where the Tigers will have the greatest edge, though, is with their efficient quarterback Brady Cook connecting especially with highly touted former recruit and leading wide receiver, Luther Burden III, against K-State's overhauled secondary.

Best Bet: Missouri +5 at -112 with BetOnline & Missouri ML at +165 with BetOnline

Minnesota Golden Gophers vs. North Carolina Tar Heels
Saturday, September 16 at 3:30 p.m. ET at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill

North Carolina's Rush Attack

For the Tar Heels, running the ball has been a relatively important means of offensive production.

Nationally, they own the 30th-highest run play percentage and rank tenth in rushing yards per game.

They relied heavily on running the ball both to defeat South Carolina in their season-opener and to escape App State in their last game.

Facing A Stronger Test

To be clear, Tar Heel running backs obliterated the App State rush defense, although that game still went to overtime.

Against lower-profile App State, the Tar Heels were able to do things that they won't be able to do against Minnesota.

They were simply able to gash App State up the middle repeatedly.

Tougher, up-the-middle running characterizes the current Tar Heel running back group, which represents a departure from the speed-oriented group of previous years.

This change is unfortunate in view of their matchup against a Golden Gopher defense that lacks the speed to keep up with guys like UNC's former quick running backs.

Physically, in line with the Big Ten's reputation for strength and physicality, Minnesota is dramatically more equipped than App State to handle the Tar Heels' current 220-pound running backs.

For example, with the exception of one 27-yard run, the Golden Gophers held Nebraska's Gabe Ervin Jr. in check.

Passing Comparison

North Carolina has had to replace its two leading wide receivers last year.

Its wide receiver group lacks sufficient returning talent against a Golden Gopher secondary that boasts cornerback Justin Walley, who was third-team All-Big Ten last year.

Minnesota's advantage in the secondary will enable its pass attack to have the edge against a Tar Heel defense that, after giving up 219 rush yards to App State, will have to focus on containing Minnesota's running back group.

App State's quarterback approached 300 passing yards with the type of intermediate passing that Athan Kaliakmanis can improve upon for the Golden Gophers.

Best Bet: Minnesota +7.5 at -110 with BetOnline & Minnesota ML at +235 with BetOnline

Tennessee Volunteers vs. Florida Gators
Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 7 p.m. ET at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, Florida

Tennessee's Run Game

It is easy to underappreciate the extent to which Tennessee's offense lives and dies with the success of its rush attack, which is again led by running backs Jabari Small and Jaylen Wright.

Failure to run well keyed their worst offensive performances last year.

Their lowest scoring outputs came against Pittsburgh (27 points in regulation), Georgia (13 points), and Clemson (31 points).

In those games, they struggled to achieve good rushing outputs and to be efficient in terms of YPC.

Florida's Run Defense

The Gators' run defense will do the most to help Florida's upset bid by limiting the Volunteers' rush attack without sacrificing any ability to defend against Tennessee's historically inaccurate and inconsistent quarterback Joe Milton.

Florida is able to rely on the strong linebacker play of Scooby Williams and Shemar James, who are profiting from the experience they gained stepping in for run-stopper Ventrell Miller.

The Gators also profit from their devotion, during the offseason, to using the transfer portal to strengthen their front seven.

Right now, Florida is allowing a paltry 3.5 YPC.

Florida Offense's Outlook

Last year, the Vols had one of the worst pass defenses.

The verdict remains out on whether their pass defense has improved, because, before facing FCS school Austin Peay last week, they faced a Virginia offense led by a transfer quarterback from New Hampshire and hampered by absolutely miserable offensive line play.

With a quarterback in Graham Mertz who's shown significant ability in his career against weaker pass defenses, Florida can exploit the Vols' pass defense, which still has so much work to do to improve upon its ranking last year of 128th.

The Gators also boast two running backs who average over six YCP, giving them an edge on the ground over Tennessee's rush attack, in addition to their advantage in the air.

History

The Swamp is also simply a tough place to play, especially for the Vols.

They haven't won in the Gators' venue since 2003.

Best Bet: Florida +7 at -120 with BetOnline & Florida ML at +205 with BetOnline

I had little more to say but I can’t finish thoughts without falling asleep and dropping phone on myself. Lol. I’ll come back later.

I had little more to say but I can’t finish thoughts without falling asleep and dropping phone on myself. Lol. I’ll come back later.
You've said it in at least three other threads, if needed just copy/paste but guessing Cavs has seen all of those lol

Fwiw I'm likely on the Gophers as well, might try ML but it's a nice spot for sure

You've said it in at least three other threads, if needed just copy/paste but guessing Cavs has seen all of those lol

Fwiw I'm likely on the Gophers as well, might try ML but it's a nice spot for sure

It was only gonna be something bout that wr the ncaa Fuckinh and rest bout one the other games. Dick, Lmao. I been a bit faded on some bomb pain meds, I dunno wtf I’m writing where! It takes 3 hours to make one those post between all the times I fade out and pushing buttons, realizing something don’t mak sense, etc etc!

I tried to figure out a matchup or any kind of angle to maybe play mizzou but the problem is tigers offense has flat î out stunk since Drinkiwirz got here! Somehow they manage to look worse every fracking year! At one point they at least were able to hang points on all the scrubs the schedule! Now shit looks ugly vs MTSU!! Im pretty sure Cook was a fairly highly rated recruit, they got a couple wrs who were 5 star kids!! Not sure why they went here where they have a nothing pass attack that never takes shots down the field! No idea how that pitch to a 5 star wt goes? “If your son comes here he increases his chances of not getting hurt cause we don’t throw the ball down the field!!”, Wonder if that works, I guess that along w a bag of cash!

College Football Week 3 Upset Alert: Tennessee Struggles in the Swamp

Kansas State Wildcats vs. Missouri Tigers
Saturday, September 16, 2023 at noon ET at Memorial Stadium/Faurot Field in Columbia, Missouri

Concerns About Kansas State's Offense

Scoring 87 points, as Kansas State has done through two games, might seem impressive.

But let's consider that the Wildcats' first opponent was FCS team Southeast Missouri State.

Their second opponent was a Troy team that gave up 30 points to FCS school Stephen F. Austin.

These two offensive outputs mask the significant loss of talent that the Wildcats' offense experienced during the offseason, which will become apparent against any team with a pulse.

Specifically, the Wildcats lost a lot at the skill positions.

Running back Deuce Vaughn, who amassed nearly 2,000 yards from scrimmage last year, is irreplaceable.

In addition to losing Vaughn, their top wide receiver departed. They lock proven depth at wide receiver.

Missouri's Defense

Last year, the Tigers' defense took a major step forward, as evident in its almost nine-point reduction in points allowed per game.

They were particularly strong against the run, ranking 31st nationally in rushing yards allowed per game and becoming one of the best teams at achieving tackles for loss.

With their returning production (eight starters have come back), they are primed to build on this success.

This strength in run defense makes them match up well against a K-State offense that, although it can't replace Vaughn, still wants to rely extensively on its running back group, especially while its wide receiver group is depleted.

Missouri Offense vs. K-State Defense

The Tigers return an experienced offensive line unit that ranked 44th, according to PFF, in run-blocking last year.

Whereas they improved with the addition of a Houston guard who was regarded as one of the top blockers in his conference last year, the Wildcats' defensive line suffers for losing a key pass rusher to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Against a Wildcats' run defense that was mediocre last year, Cody Schrader will continue averaging five yards a carry.

Where the Tigers will have the greatest edge, though, is with their efficient quarterback Brady Cook connecting especially with highly touted former recruit and leading wide receiver, Luther Burden III, against K-State's overhauled secondary.

Best Bet: Missouri +5 at -112 with BetOnline & Missouri ML at +165 with BetOnline

Minnesota Golden Gophers vs. North Carolina Tar Heels
Saturday, September 16 at 3:30 p.m. ET at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill

North Carolina's Rush Attack

For the Tar Heels, running the ball has been a relatively important means of offensive production.

Nationally, they own the 30th-highest run play percentage and rank tenth in rushing yards per game.

They relied heavily on running the ball both to defeat South Carolina in their season-opener and to escape App State in their last game.

Facing A Stronger Test

To be clear, Tar Heel running backs obliterated the App State rush defense, although that game still went to overtime.

Against lower-profile App State, the Tar Heels were able to do things that they won't be able to do against Minnesota.

They were simply able to gash App State up the middle repeatedly.

Tougher, up-the-middle running characterizes the current Tar Heel running back group, which represents a departure from the speed-oriented group of previous years.

This change is unfortunate in view of their matchup against a Golden Gopher defense that lacks the speed to keep up with guys like UNC's former quick running backs.

Physically, in line with the Big Ten's reputation for strength and physicality, Minnesota is dramatically more equipped than App State to handle the Tar Heels' current 220-pound running backs.

For example, with the exception of one 27-yard run, the Golden Gophers held Nebraska's Gabe Ervin Jr. in check.

Passing Comparison

North Carolina has had to replace its two leading wide receivers last year.

Its wide receiver group lacks sufficient returning talent against a Golden Gopher secondary that boasts cornerback Justin Walley, who was third-team All-Big Ten last year.

Minnesota's advantage in the secondary will enable its pass attack to have the edge against a Tar Heel defense that, after giving up 219 rush yards to App State, will have to focus on containing Minnesota's running back group.

App State's quarterback approached 300 passing yards with the type of intermediate passing that Athan Kaliakmanis can improve upon for the Golden Gophers.

Best Bet: Minnesota +7.5 at -110 with BetOnline & Minnesota ML at +235 with BetOnline

Tennessee Volunteers vs. Florida Gators
Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 7 p.m. ET at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, Florida

Tennessee's Run Game

It is easy to underappreciate the extent to which Tennessee's offense lives and dies with the success of its rush attack, which is again led by running backs Jabari Small and Jaylen Wright.

Failure to run well keyed their worst offensive performances last year.

Their lowest scoring outputs came against Pittsburgh (27 points in regulation), Georgia (13 points), and Clemson (31 points).

In those games, they struggled to achieve good rushing outputs and to be efficient in terms of YPC.

Florida's Run Defense

The Gators' run defense will do the most to help Florida's upset bid by limiting the Volunteers' rush attack without sacrificing any ability to defend against Tennessee's historically inaccurate and inconsistent quarterback Joe Milton.

Florida is able to rely on the strong linebacker play of Scooby Williams and Shemar James, who are profiting from the experience they gained stepping in for run-stopper Ventrell Miller.

The Gators also profit from their devotion, during the offseason, to using the transfer portal to strengthen their front seven.

Right now, Florida is allowing a paltry 3.5 YPC.

Florida Offense's Outlook

Last year, the Vols had one of the worst pass defenses.

The verdict remains out on whether their pass defense has improved, because, before facing FCS school Austin Peay last week, they faced a Virginia offense led by a transfer quarterback from New Hampshire and hampered by absolutely miserable offensive line play.

With a quarterback in Graham Mertz who's shown significant ability in his career against weaker pass defenses, Florida can exploit the Vols' pass defense, which still has so much work to do to improve upon its ranking last year of 128th.

The Gators also boast two running backs who average over six YCP, giving them an edge on the ground over Tennessee's rush attack, in addition to their advantage in the air.

History

The Swamp is also simply a tough place to play, especially for the Vols.

They haven't won in the Gators' venue since 2003.

Best Bet: Florida +7 at -120 with BetOnline & Florida ML at +205 with BetOnline
I appreciate the analysis but I’m left thinking that under is the way to go on the K State game.

I appreciate the analysis but I’m left thinking that under is the way to go on the K State game.
That’s completely fair. I guess the strong or weak points of my analysis about a game might say a lot about it. I guess my defense of Mizzou offense was weak

It was only gonna be something bout that wr the ncaa Fuckinh and rest bout one the other games. Dick, Lmao. I been a bit faded on some bomb pain meds, I dunno wtf I’m writing where! It takes 3 hours to make one those post between all the times I fade out and pushing buttons, realizing something don’t mak sense, etc etc!
It‘s all good. It’s obvious at least to me that when you start combining letters without making actual words then you on some drugs!

It‘s all good. It’s obvious at least to me that when you start combining letters without making actual words then you on some drugs!

Im back on my game now, anything I post should be fairly readable, make sense, all that jazz, the punctuation still be terrible and the grammar/spelling questionable but that just cause I’m not very smart when it comes to proper English! Lol. I only get a day or 2 here or there where I get to have little fun mixing up a nice cocktail w her meds! I ain’t trying to do enough she doesn’t have and I’d prefer to avoid letting my opioid tolerance get anywhere close to I’ve had it in the past!!

Back to coffee and addy’s to get shit done! The drugs def the main culprit but this guy getting old and my bad eyes have hit a whole new level!! Now the contacts they giving me to make everything sharp fuck up my vision far as phone! They made my glasses bifocals but since I’m usually in contacts I have to put reading glasses on to post, been a crazy tough adjustment cause anytime I look anywhere besides my phone then everything blurry as shit and when I use too long my brain feels like scrambled eggs (way more than any drug, try screwing with your vision and see what it does to Brain!!). Anyways when I’m not wearing them you gonna see some messed up words cause it super hard to see screen!!!! Pretty sure this post proves im way more myself today!! Lmao

Back