Week 3 Game by Game Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
TNF: Jets

I get that the Browns were very close to beating two high-profile teams. But I can’t lay chalk with a young team that is still figuring out how to win. Even if the Browns had won already, the offense lacks quality. Tyrod Taylor is throwing for 71 yards per game and 1.3 yards per attempt fewer than his opponent. Cleveland’s top running back is averaging 2.8 yards per carry. The kicker is an awful 2-for-5. The Browns lack playmakers who can move the ball in a hurry. If the Browns win, it seems highly likely that their defense will be the reason why and that the win will be by the thinnest of margins possible.

Admittedly, the Jets also lack playmakers on offense. They rely on their defense, having held Miami to 20 points and Detroit to 17 points despite mistakes made by their rookie quarterback. In a basically even game, i’ll take the points.

SNF: Patriots

Dating to 2016, the Patriots are 5-0 SU and ATS after a loss. Brady is still elite. He achieved a high completion percentage and two touchdowns to zero interceptions against Jacksonville’s famed defense, despite the defense expecting him to pass while the Pats tried to come from behind. After losing, Brady tended to lead the charge and throw for over 300 yards. I also expect the defense to bounce back. It’s conceded 20 points or fewer after all five of its last regular season losses.

Detroit’s defense is still a mess. It gave up 78 points combined to the Jets and 49ers. First, Sam Darnold was 16-for-21 in his NFL debut. Then, Jimmy Garoppolo was almost as efficient, throwing for two touchdowns and zero interceptions, in a game that was 30-13 before the 49ers relaxed on defense. Admittedly, the Patriots have some offensive studs missing. But so did San Francisco and the Jets aren’t exactly known for their offensive prowess, either.

JETS: I can’t give points with a team that still hasn’t figured out how to win. The Browns’ offense has been woefully boring—average players everywhere, nobody who can make a big play.

FALCONS Saints’ defense has been unconvincing against quality competition. Atlanta’s offense came together without Freeman and shows a strong mix of run and pass. Atlanta’s highly ranked secondary, led by Alford and Trufant, will limit Brees.

49ERS: The Chiefs’ offense is prolific, no doubt, but the defense still looks like a mess without safety Eric Berry. The 49ers have enough weapons, even if Goodwin remains out, to keep it close.

DOLPHINS: Raiders travel to the East Coast and have the early time slot. Carr looked great last week, but he was notoriously inconsistent last season and faces a secondary laden with Pro Bowl-caliber ability.

VIKINGS: Buffalo is still the NFL’s punching bag. It had a player retire during a game. Its quarterback talent is extremely raw. The Vikings defense will gobble them up while Cousins and Diggs show awesome rapport.

COLTS: Wentz is back, but he’ll be rusty after missing so much time and he’s still missing Alshon Jeffery. Same as last week: I don’t need much convincing to take Andrew Luck plus the points.

PACKERS: Playing at home is actually a disadvantage for Washington, which has to witness empty seats and booing fans. The offense looked disastrous outside of Smith, so Rodgers will get plenty of time to score.

PANTHERS: Carolina has covered five of its last six at home. Cam impressed me without multiple offensive linemen against Atlanta's defense. He’ll carry them against a poor road team off a primetime rivalry win.

TITANS: The Jags were fixated on that AFC Championship game. It meant so much to them to beat New England after barely falling short in January. This is a let-down spot following an emotional win.

BRONCOS: Broncos run defense has looked solid so far based on opposing YPC. By limiting Alex Collins, it can limit Baltimore’s offense, which won’t muster enough points for a cover. Baltimore’s secondary is still depleted.

GIANTS: Houston’s offense has looked pedestrian, barely mustering any points until the opponent relaxed with a significant lead. I know New York has problems as well, but I can’t give points with Houston.

RAMS: The Chargers’ defense hasn’t looked convincing, getting torched by its only formidable opponent so far. The Rams are stacked in passing and running and its defense will limit San Diego.

BEARS: Arizona has huge problems with several new pieces on the team. It’s been outscored 58-6 in its first two games, including a 24-6 loss against lowly Washington. The Bears’ defense will dominate again.

SEAHAWKS: Seattle’s offense was dangerous once Russell Wilson started leaving the pocket. Look for more creative play-calling at home to offset poor o-line. Defense will be healthier, hopefully Baldwin, as well. Dallas’ offense still looks pedestrian.

PATRIOTS: Patriots are 5-0 ATS L5 after a loss. Detroit’s defense has conceded 78 points combined against the Jets and 49ers. It’s no match for Brady, his healthy running backs, and Gordon.

BUCCANEERS: The Steelers are 0-1-1 and show disarray amidst drama surrounding the holdout of teammate Le’Veon Bell. The Bucs’ offense, led by Fitzmagic, has been shockingly prolific, while Pitt’s defense has been porous.

Last edited:
i feel like if you bet jets/browns either way you should call a gamblers anonymous help like immediately. to be fair, the game is not as shitty as it looked 2 weeks ago...browns could easily be 2-0 and darnold looks great. still, this is not a bettable game imo unless they give me enunwa at over 4.5 receptions again this week

should we blindly bet chiefs overs until it burns us? I truly believe if u bet chiefs over every game this year you are going to go 10-6 at the worst.

def down to keep fading Oakland

I am more than happy to lay 17 with Minnesota. buffalo wont score a td. 28-6

Careful with the Colts, eagles play amazing defense at home. the home/road splits there are pretty crazy. wentz wont be 100% but just his presence will ignite the team.

agree with your Washington/home point but it is still tough to trust Rodgers at the moment who is clearly playing on one leg.

I'm 2-0 with cincy this year, I may have to take this week off. Losing Mixon is really big for them.

If its Gabbert for Tenny, give me jags - whatever.

first road game of the yr for Denver. balty is tough at home. can see keenum making some ugly ints. home team or nothing there

maybe its just a hunch but I think the charges hang with the Rams here.

zona is terrible, but man, the bears won and covered last night not bc they ae great but bc seattle is trash. im not ready to trust Trubisky on the road. I actually think this could be a sneaky win for the cards and will likely take them + the points in what should be an ugly game. Although the thoughts of Mack busting through that o-line...Sam Bradford might die. Shit, now I'm leaning Chicago. idk.

giants/Houston is a no play both teams have looked awful.

you didn't mention seattle/dallas: I like the road team here, seattle is cooked

agree on pats and bellichick should be looking to embarrass Patricia

Bucs as a home dog against this Pittsburgh team that is having all kinds of issues: im sold

Trubisky's decision making...yikes. He makes so many mistakes. Bears O is just non-existent after those scripted plays. I haven't seen Arizona play at all, but can't imagine it looks even close to as pretty At least Bears are competitive and winning for all the ugliness!

Thanks, just stuck in Seahawks.

Great counter point with Eagles, i'll probably stay away from that one. Sproles' status?

Yea if Gabbert gets announced i'm sure the line will move. If it moves enough I think i'll hop on Titans. Think we see a really pedestrian effort from Jags O, more like the week 1 effort than the guns blazing from the getgo inspiration in Week 2. Gotta figure out if this year's Titans still run a lot of packages that aren't 11, those kinda teams match up well with Jags (Titans swept Jax last year)

Great counter point with Eagles, i'll probably stay away from that one. Sproles' status?

Yea if Gabbert gets announced i'm sure the line will move. If it moves enough I think i'll hop on Titans. Think we see a really pedestrian effort from Jags O, more like the week 1 effort than the guns blazing from the getgo inspiration in Week 2. Gotta figure out if this year's Titans still run a lot of packages that aren't 11, those kinda teams match up well with Jags (Titans swept Jax last year)

Gabbert would maybe be extra motivated to beat old team? Altho i'm sure Jags would also like their chops to face him lol

disagree that SF still has the talent, they are down their two best players from an offense that was already weak on skill players

sproles is irrelevant

JAX rested players in week 17 last year and probably should have won the first meeting as there was a dramatic shift in that one, too

Disagree about Thursday night, while I certainly understand not wanting to lay points w Browns imo that the only play worth making. That turnover prone rookie on a short week against a defense that has created the most turnovers in the league vs a couple of the best qbs in the league I think be licking their chops for this one. Taylor is what he is but he will protect the ball and move the chains w his legs which I think will be more than enough in this one.

Gabbert would maybe be extra motivated to beat old team? Altho i'm sure Jags would also like their chops to face him lol

Imo what’s the difference? Marriota been overhyped trash since entering this league. Dunno if I’m interested in this one but there no way I think titans any better or worse w one or the other.

the NFL parlay that "jumped" at me on the opening this week (start times pacific)

Thursday September 20th
5:30pm / Jets +3 -105 @ Browns
Sunday September 23rd
10:00am / @ Falcons -3 vs Saints
10:00am / @ Chiefs -6 -105 vs 49ers
1:05pm / @ Rams -7 even vs Chargers

also thinking @ Chiefs OVER 56 and @ Rams OVER 47 1/2. BOTH can score "like a rabbit on a date" :)

Disagree about Thursday night, while I certainly understand not wanting to lay points w Browns imo that the only play worth making. That turnover prone rookie on a short week against a defense that has created the most turnovers in the league vs a couple of the best qbs in the league I think be licking their chops for this one. Taylor is what he is but he will protect the ball and move the chains w his legs which I think will be more than enough in this one.

sure, the only play worth making is to lay a FG with a team who hasn't won a game since Christmas Eve 2016

Tyrod has been throwing picks so i don‘t think you can just say Bank that he wont and Jets been creating turnovers. So your logic works both ways.

Gwarner I agree with you but can‘t you be a bit nicer to people lol

Kinda agree with D-Woww that Jets-Browns is better to watch than to bet. Preview of the 2021 AFC Championship.

Cauae you foresaw Baker coming in?

I foresaw jets struggling to score. I was locked up in county all week so wasn’t able to see much and only caught few glimpses of highlights., only reason commented cause just got the message alert informing me how dumb I had to be for playing Browns as favs.

I foresaw jets struggling to score. I was locked up in county all week so wasn’t able to see much and only caught few glimpses of highlights., only reason commented cause just got the message alert informing me how dumb I had to be for playing Browns as favs.

Lol its annoying how condescending people can be oh well. can‘t take it too seriousy on the inet bro

Back