Week 2 What Are We Learning

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Syracuse's offense is on a whole new level with Kyle McCord slinging at quarterback. He could take the Orange to places that nobody had believed to be possible.

Post your thoughts!

Not necessarily something we’re just now learning, but Michigan and Clemson are showing that you have to be above average on offense to be competitive with the top tier of teams, no matter how good your defense is. Nice statement by Texas today

I have some thoughts on first glance of the box scores and what I saw from SEC play yesterday.

Not much to add to the Texas stuff that's already been said. They and UGA look like the class of the country right now. Makes sense when you consider that they have had a fair amount of consistency on the coaching staff and with returning starters at QB and really good OL. They'll both be tough to beat right out of the gates, but I expect more contenders to be revealed as the season moves along

The post above shows just how bad that loss for Arkansas was. Turnovers killed them. I love Sam Pittman, but I think his seat is really warming up

I didn't watch any of it, but only 64 rushing yards for LSU?

Didn't watch any, and judging by the box score I'm glad I didn't, but what happened in Lexington? 44 passing yards for the Cats? a 4 score loss at home to South Carolina? I mentioned it in the SEC thread, but Beamer is now 3-0 vs UK. He's got their number for whatever reason

Didn't see much of the Tenn game because I had to pay far more attention to the Bama game that I had planned, but holding NCSt to 143 yards is impressive. Nico's numbers look a little pedestrian, but it was clearly plenty good in an easy win. Tenn is trending as a potential playoff team

Jury is still out on Mizzou and Ole Miss, but they have been nothing short of dominant against far inferior opponents. They both seem to be a green light to bet on with high spreads against bad teams

OU may have a great defense, but I'd be worried about that offense. Only 249 yards against Houston, and only score in the 2nd half was a safety

Vandy held Alcorn St to 71(!) total yards. That's impressive no matter the opponent

Last week I said that AU may have finally found a passing game. I take that back. Just an awful performance. Looks like Freeze is trying to force the passing game with an inferior QB, all while he has the SEC's leading returning rusher on his team. Maybe he sold all those WR they added in the offseason on getting a ton of opportunity, but it's going to cost them some games

If you paid attention to the first 53 minutes of the Alabama game, you know that the final score was no indication on how the game went. USF had 4th and goal with 7 minutes left and a chance to tie the game with a TD and 2 point conversion. USF took the points which is in some ways defensible, though I disagree. Once Alabama got the ball back, they scored TDs on 3 of their next 6 plays. Part of the reason for the close game was the way the game was called from an officiating standpoint (24 combined penalties for 212 yards), and another was 3 second half fumbles lost by Alabama, including on the opening kick of the second half at the end of a 52 yard return. Alabama was down 2 starters on the OL to start the game, and was playing a guard out of position. The OL struggled mightily with the highly aggressive blitzing USF defense. Milroe had some bad moments, but he mostly had very little room or time to operate. This bears watching moving forward, because he also did a much better job checking down, not taking sacks, and moving through his progressions for the majority of the game and when he had more than 1 second to operate. I question some of the playcalling so I think this may be a nice learning experience for the coaching staff as well as the players. I do believe that the defense is better than I thought they would be, playing more of a bend don't break style than we're used to seeing. The secondary still has some issues, to be expected with the inexperience, but the front 7(6) have been very good through 2 games. The OL should settle once Proctor is back and everyone else can play their normal position.

Not necessarily something we’re just now learning, but Michigan and Clemson are showing that you have to be above average on offense to be competitive with the top tier of teams, no matter how good your defense is. Nice statement by Texas today
Dabo did it again. Didn’t play Wesco and Moore against UGA just like he only gave Watson a third of the snaps against Georgia in the 2014 season opener. Wesco and Moore are difference makers.

Luke has made a big difference with the OL in pass pro especially.

Dabo did it again. Didn’t play Wesco and Moore against UGA just like he only gave Watson a third of the snaps against Georgia in the 2014 season opener. Wesco and Moore are difference makers.
Why didn't he play them?

I have some thoughts on first glance of the box scores and what I saw from SEC play yesterday.

Not much to add to the Texas stuff that's already been said. They and UGA look like the class of the country right now. Makes sense when you consider that they have had a fair amount of consistency on the coaching staff and with returning starters at QB and really good OL. They'll both be tough to beat right out of the gates, but I expect more contenders to be revealed as the season moves along

The post above shows just how bad that loss for Arkansas was. Turnovers killed them. I love Sam Pittman, but I think his seat is really warming up

I didn't watch any of it, but only 64 rushing yards for LSU?

Didn't watch any, and judging by the box score I'm glad I didn't, but what happened in Lexington? 44 passing yards for the Cats? a 4 score loss at home to South Carolina? I mentioned it in the SEC thread, but Beamer is now 3-0 vs UK. He's got their number for whatever reason

Didn't see much of the Tenn game because I had to pay far more attention to the Bama game that I had planned, but holding NCSt to 143 yards is impressive. Nico's numbers look a little pedestrian, but it was clearly plenty good in an easy win. Tenn is trending as a potential playoff team

Jury is still out on Mizzou and Ole Miss, but they have been nothing short of dominant against far inferior opponents. They both seem to be a green light to bet on with high spreads against bad teams

OU may have a great defense, but I'd be worried about that offense. Only 249 yards against Houston, and only score in the 2nd half was a safety

Vandy held Alcorn St to 71(!) total yards. That's impressive no matter the opponent

Last week I said that AU may have finally found a passing game. I take that back. Just an awful performance. Looks like Freeze is trying to force the passing game with an inferior QB, all while he has the SEC's leading returning rusher on his team. Maybe he sold all those WR they added in the offseason on getting a ton of opportunity, but it's going to cost them some games

If you paid attention to the first 53 minutes of the Alabama game, you know that the final score was no indication on how the game went. USF had 4th and goal with 7 minutes left and a chance to tie the game with a TD and 2 point conversion. USF took the points which is in some ways defensible, though I disagree. Once Alabama got the ball back, they scored TDs on 3 of their next 6 plays. Part of the reason for the close game was the way the game was called from an officiating standpoint (24 combined penalties for 212 yards), and another was 3 second half fumbles lost by Alabama, including on the opening kick of the second half at the end of a 52 yard return. Alabama was down 2 starters on the OL to start the game, and was playing a guard out of position. The OL struggled mightily with the highly aggressive blitzing USF defense. Milroe had some bad moments, but he mostly had very little room or time to operate. This bears watching moving forward, because he also did a much better job checking down, not taking sacks, and moving through his progressions for the majority of the game and when he had more than 1 second to operate. I question some of the playcalling so I think this may be a nice learning experience for the coaching staff as well as the players. I do believe that the defense is better than I thought they would be, playing more of a bend don't break style than we're used to seeing. The secondary still has some issues, to be expected with the inexperience, but the front 7(6) have been very good through 2 games. The OL should settle once Proctor is back and everyone else can play their normal position.
Awesome recap

Back