Week 2 What Are We Learning

I'm not sure this is absolutely the case, but it seems to me that FCS lines and power ratings are even more based off of last year's teams and results than FBS.

I'm looking at a FCS Power Ranking list I printed off just a few days ago and SF Austin was still #3 despite losing week 0 and having a poor showing week 1, but they were still placed #3. They got their doors blown off at LaTech. SFA was preseason top 10 and look nothing like that through 3 games, even throwing out the LaTech game.

Nicholls St is listed at 8th after getting obliterated by South Alabama week 1 and they were a short road dog at ULM and ULM trounced them.

Sam Houston St opened as a 17-ish pt fav to Northern Arizona yesterday. NAU won 10-3!

SE La was still ranked this week and they weren't good week 1 and were noncompetitive week 2 even and only getting 11 which was a pretty low line for what would be and is a below average FCS team. Sure they were good last year, but that was with Cole Kelly. Adjustment hasn't been made quick enough yet.

Southern Illinois was preseason top 10, they are 0-2 now with both loses coming vs FCS level competition.

Valpo is a non-athletic scholarship school, they were getting over 30 yesterday and lost just 21-28 at Illinois State (on this PR sheet Illinois St is ranked 38th and Valpo 126th out of 130).

Long Island is down at 117th and is 2-0 ATS this year (big number vs Toledo and then played respectable and covered vs Villanova yesterday).

Sacred Heart was pretty good last year, but are 0-2 ATS this year both vs lower-tier FCS teams (Lafayette and Central Conn St)

There are other teams and examples. And I know this happens at the FBS level too, teams don't get adjusted down enough in the PR or teams don't get moved up enough for being better. Maybe it's just a whole new world to me, but I'm finding some pretty bad lines on some of these games, not that I bet them all, but I see them and see the results. There is a different to having an off game, or just not playing well vs a bigger stronger faster deeper FBS roster. This has my interest level up and I see myself learning more FCS next summer.

Last edited:
I continue to learn that BYU has the most amazing home field crowd in the entire sport. Manically loud, rabid and enthusiastic. And without the benefit of alcohol or caffeine. Insane environment last night.

And on the subject, damn impressive crowd in Austin yesterday. I know it sounded loud in person but watching the broadcast this morning, it really was loud.

Yeah, Patterson has changed the mentality and helped instill defensive discipline and technique, especially the latter.

That A&M thing was mind boggling. Crazy tweet from Tom VanHaaren:
Texas A&M's last four recruiting classes were ranked No. 1, 7, 6 and 3. The Aggies just lost to App State who only had one recruiting class ranked inside the top-75 over the last four classes. 2021 was ranked No. 63.

And Sam Houston only scored 3 in losing to NAU yesterday, kind of puts A&M's week 1 game in better perspective and makes the App State loss less surprising.

Some very very close calls for 2H bettors.

Arkansas appeared to have a fumble return TD in the very final seconds vs South Carolina which would've made the 2H score be 28-23 (-4). But the knee was down upon recovery and the TD was nullified and SCar won the 2H.

Central Michigan didn't have the same 2H magic they did week 1, but still did come back enough to get ahead of the 2H -4.5 line as they outscored South Bama 14-7. But after an onside kick recovery by USA, they were getting closer and closer to the EZ in the waning minutes, in fact, their final play was a run down to the 1 yard line as time expired. Northwestern, also in comeback mode was -5.5 2H and were poised to get ahead of that number when Evan Hull fumbled just inches from crossing the goal line. Indiana was shut out 0-10 at home...vs Idaho! In a weekend of DD home favs getting upset, Indiana pushed back and came back to cover their -13.5 2H number, which thanks to 2 TDs and a safety they had pretty easily in just the 3rd Q.

One more? Lafayette and Temple 2H Over 17.5. Each team had 1 TD and in the final minutes, Temple got their second punt blk of the game...as the ball goes bouncing into the EZ, the 2H Over is right there waiting to be pounced on, but Lafayette falls on it for a safety instead making the 2H total 16.

I continue to learn that BYU has the most amazing home field crowd in the entire sport. Manically loud, rabid and enthusiastic. And without the benefit of alcohol or caffeine. Insane environment last night.

And on the subject, damn impressive crowd in Austin yesterday. I know it sounded loud in person but watching the broadcast this morning, it really was loud.
That crowd was impressive in Austin yesterday. Definitely had a huge effect on Alabama, especially early in the game and allowed Texas to get comfortable and gain momentum.

The 2 biggest question marks for Alabama both looked like liabilities yesterday. OL was largely ineffective and the WRs couldn't get open and had several drops. I'm not as concerned about the penalties and lack of discipline at this point. It was very hot, they were frustrated, and amped up, just lost their composure. I think that's a one off, and I know it will not be a good week of practice for these guys. I am officially out on Bill O'Brien as an OC. Watching how Sark schemed plays to hide the Texas weaknesses, while we continue to call plays that our guys struggle to execute is beyond frustrating. If it wasn't for Bryce having the reins in the 4th quarter, that's a loss. Hell, it probably should've been anyway. I would advise against betting Alabama in true road games until further notice. This is the second straight year they've struggled on the road

Yeah, Patterson has changed the mentality and helped instill defensive discipline and technique, especially the latter.

That A&M thing was mind boggling. Crazy tweet from Tom VanHaaren:
Texas A&M's last four recruiting classes were ranked No. 1, 7, 6 and 3. The Aggies just lost to App State who only had one recruiting class ranked inside the top-75 over the last four classes. 2021 was ranked No. 63.
the battle among alums is jimblow's scheme vs. qb play
you should know recruits stars mean squat at the next level

BC is Fucking awful! The d ain’t bad but the offense is putrid!! Jurkovic has his arm strength back but he really only has one playmaker worth a damn. The worst problem is the oline is straight up garbage, the offense can’t do shit cause these guys couldn’t block jv kids! They lost few guys to nfl then the other nfl caliber player they had coming back was lost for year w injury over summer. I keep saying Hapley will build up this unit cause he good at this part the game but it just ain’t happening thus far.

The two biggest "sharp" bets of the week in Vegas according to ESPN were Stanford against USC and Denver at Seattle. I only started keeping track of how the "sharps" do midway last year, and I only keep track of the top two bets, but so far they are laughably bad--8-16

I love Gameday, but adding McAfee as a full time blow hard is the worst idea they've ever had. The minute McAfee starts to talk I change stations

So far it appears the transfer portal is a gigantic help to the little guys, no help at all to the elites. Great. I'm glad it's worked out that way. Now and then there is a guy who helps one of the elite schools if they are down--USC is this year's example--but the elites lose as much as they gain.

I can't believe the Texas D is as good as they looked against Bama, but if they are they have a shot at the Big 12 title. The longhorn D-backs looked like super stars.

Spencer Rattler has gotten bigger, but he hasn't improved a bit since he arrived at OU. I have no idea how he ever got classified as a "duel-threat." He's the slowest player on the field. He still makes some great throws at times when everything works out, but they can't run the RPO at S Carolina because he can't figure out what to do and he can't read defenses

The Wake Forest QB never gets much notice, but every time I watch him he's a super star

Either Iowa State has the greatest defensive line they've ever had or the Iowa O-line was all sick with the flu

Gary Patterson game-planned for 3 months for Bama and it showed...

There is one GREAT team, as of now, and that is the champs. Their schedule is very pedestrian this year (regarding locations and teams). They will cruise into December.

Nice 1h, Miami.

Texas AM is the dominant NIL team in the country, but present day are just completely average. How has Jimbo not gotten an offense that is consistent? Good grief.

The propping up of Notre Dame this summer was pretty funny. Granted, you expected 1-1 at this point but 6-6 is a possibility. The thing here I am curious about is their recruiting class. In any year, you get guys looking at this point. With the NIL factor, I am wondering how that factors in. This is the first very good case study of that (for you recruiting nerds like myself).

Is Tennessee for real? I feel like they are somewhere in-between... but that is a GOOD start.

As someone else mentioned... that atmosphere in BYU is NUTS!

So far it appears the transfer portal is a gigantic help to the little guys, no help at all to the elites. Great. I'm glad it's worked out that way. Now and then there is a guy who helps one of the elite schools if they are down--USC is this year's example--but the elites lose as much as they gain.

What makes you come to this conclusion? UTEP loses WR Jacob Cowing to Arizona where he is looking like a potential all-PAC12 WR and UTEP O is a shell. Wyoming loses their #1 RB and their #1 WR to P5 schools. Akron's #1 WR transfers to USC. Player in your back yard, Daiyan Henley goes to Washington State. Who did Nevada get to offset that massive loss? UNLV's best pass rusher Jacoby Windmon goes to Michigan State. Multi-year OL starter at San Diego State goes to Arizona State.

It's a merry-go-round. I'm skeptical it can be said that this is helping the G5 schools as much as the P5 schools. More often, it appears established and productive G5 players transfer out to better and bigger programs while the transfers that the G5 teams get are often guys who couldn't crack a lineup at the P5 school. So if that were to be the case more often than not the G5 programs are at a net loss. They groom and produce the talent that goes away to P5 schools.

Last edited:
Despite downplaying the importance of the game leading up to it, Sark knew how they played could determine the path of not only his job, but the program. He didn't need to win, just look like they belonged on the same field. And they accomplished that and more. Texas knew what we were going to do, how we were going to adjust, etc. A situation where we weren't just out-coached, we were way out-prepared. After reading some more detailed analysis on some sequences in the game, I feel better that things can be fixed on our end. If Texas can keep that focus and intensity throughout the season, Big12 title might just be the start, especially once they get Ewers back

I thought the Neb - Ga Sou game was fantastic. It's been awhile since I've seen a legit shootout. Vantrease made some great throws.

It was huge that Ewers had only a sprain as he would have lost all that NIL money and undoubtedly transferred knowing Arch Manning is coming in next year. He looked amazing. Card also played well considering his injury. Texas will go with Maalik Murphy this week most likely. Should be pretty easy recruiting receivers with Ewers and Mannning on the roster. The clock management at the end of the first half and the blatant miss of the facemask inside the 10 yard line is what cost Texas the game. There was also a really bad missed holding penalty on that great play that B Young made to set up the chip shot FG. I suppose had Texas scored the TD (and no guarantee at first and goal inside the 5) there is no guarantee B Young and Bama doesn't score a TD right back instead of the easy FG. We will never know. Despite the scoreboard, Texas certainly appeared to be the better team on the field that day whether that is a product of what Patterson was doing with his defense, Bama just having an off day on a day that Texas played great, or whether Texas just matches up good. It's a shame they couldn't pull that one out. Players like B Young are frustrating because even when they have a bad day, they can still make that key play that wins you a game. TOSU transfer simply missed the sack. If there was one thing that I Really loved as a Texas fan in this game it was the way the freshman offensive linemen played against an Alabama D line. Bodes well for down the line.

Someone mentioned what ESPN says are sharp bets. They are not very good reporters at ESPN and have little to no idea what they are talking about with respect to gambling. I wouldn't believe what they say, though I admit I didn't track line movement to see if those even indicate sharp money. Sharp money does better than dumb money, whether that means winning $ vs losing $ or simply losing less $. If we cannot agree on that as people posting here, what can we agree on? I think original poster of that is probably saying they aren't really sharp money and may be worth a fade or at least an avoidance but just want to make sure we aren't heading down a path of thinking sharp money doesn't exist ... it typically just means money from players that do well historically.

More:

The blindside block rule is stupid

The Florida QB has a Looooooong way to go to figure out how to manage a football game. Just don't lose it for your team and you beat the 20th ranked team in the nation but he couldn't do that.

Last edited:

There is one GREAT team, as of now, and that is the champs. Their schedule is very pedestrian this year (regarding locations and teams). They will cruise into December.

Nice 1h, Miami.

Texas AM is the dominant NIL team in the country, but present day are just completely average. How has Jimbo not gotten an offense that is consistent? Good grief.

The propping up of Notre Dame this summer was pretty funny. Granted, you expected 1-1 at this point but 6-6 is a possibility. The thing here I am curious about is their recruiting class. In any year, you get guys looking at this point. With the NIL factor, I am wondering how that factors in. This is the first very good case study of that (for you recruiting nerds like myself).

Is Tennessee for real? I feel like they are somewhere in-between... but that is a GOOD start.

As someone else mentioned... that atmosphere in BYU is NUTS!
How many top 5 recruiting classes does Jimbo get before people realize he can't coach.

It was huge that Ewers had only a sprain as he would have lost all that NIL money and undoubtedly transferred knowing Arch Manning is coming in next year. He looked amazing. Card also played well considering his injury. Texas will go with Maalik Murphy this week most likely. Should be pretty easy recruiting receivers with Ewers and Mannning on the roster. The clock management at the end of the first half and the blatant miss of the facemask inside the 10 yard line is what cost Texas the game. There was also a really bad missed holding penalty on that great play that B Young made to set up the chip shot FG. I suppose had Texas scored the TD (and no guarantee at first and goal inside the 5) there is no guarantee B Young and Bama doesn't score a TD right back instead of the easy FG. We will never know. Despite the scoreboard, Texas certainly appeared to be the better team on the field that day whether that is a product of what Patterson was doing with his defense, Bama just having an off day on a day that Texas played great, or whether Texas just matches up good. It's a shame they couldn't pull that one out. Players like B Young are frustrating because even when they have a bad day, they can still make that key play that wins you a game. TOSU transfer simply missed the sack. If there was one thing that I Really loved as a Texas fan in this game it was the way the freshman offensive linemen played against an Alabama D line. Bodes well for down the line.

Someone mentioned what ESPN says are sharp bets. They are not very good reporters at ESPN and have little to no idea what they are talking about with respect to gambling. I wouldn't believe what they say, though I admit I didn't track line movement to see if those even indicate sharp money. Sharp money does better than dumb money, whether that means winning $ vs losing $ or simply losing less $. If we cannot agree on that as people posting here, what can we agree on? I think original poster of that is probably saying they aren't really sharp money and may be worth a fade or at least an avoidance but just want to make sure we aren't heading down a path of thinking sharp money doesn't exist ... it typically just means money from players that do well historically.

More:

The Florida QB has a Looooooong way to go to figure out how to manage a football game. Just don't lose it for your team and you beat the 20th ranked team in the nation but he couldn't do that.
On the long pass play that set up Texas' go ahead FG, Will Anderson was tackled from behind by the OL. Would've been a sack otherwise. There were missed calls for sure, and soft calls, but all we hear about is how the refs screwed Texas. We got a 15 yard penalty on the hit to Ewers that was clean, but Texas repeatedly hit Bryce late and up high with no calls. Refs did not decide that game. Texas not getting more points when they had opportunity to did. SEC refs suck period. Worst in FBS IMO. Texas deserved to win that game because they played better, but sometimes that's not how it goes. I do think this Alabama team needs much improvement to come close to living up to the preseason hype, because that did not look like a top 10 team on Saturday

More:

Murphy hasn't fully recovered from his ankle injury in December and likely won't play this season. I'm sure Card will go, albeit at <100%. Should see lots of runs in this game. Robinson dinged up his shoulder so not sure how many carries he'll get so Johnson may see 20+ touches. And Keilan will get plenty of snaps.

Overall, that Alabama game provided a ton of promise. But it all goes in the tank if the team doesn't take care of business this season and win at least 9 games, starting this Saturday against a quality opponent. We've had 12 straight years of mediocrity so I'll continue to be cynical until I see something sustained.

Murphy hasn't fully recovered from his ankle injury in December and likely won't play this season. I'm sure Card will go, albeit at <100%. Should see lots of runs in this game. Robinson dinged up his shoulder so not sure how many carries he'll get so Johnson may see 20+ touches. And Keilan will get plenty of snaps.

Overall, that Alabama game provided a ton of promise. But it all goes in the tank if the team doesn't take care of business this season and win at least 9 games, starting this Saturday against a quality opponent. We've had 12 straight years of mediocrity so I'll continue to be cynical until I see something sustained.

Doesn’t sone of it depend on health of ya’ll qb? I think it pretty fair to say texas wins that game if he doesn’t get hurt. How hurt is he?

Sometimes I dig into these, sometimes not. But here are some state line observations taken from the Pointwise stat page

It's not a surprise that Air Force only attempted 5 passes and completed one...but Colorado also only completed 5 of their passes - in 21 attempts! AF had a 25-8 FD edge!

Miss State held Arizona to 40 rushing yards on 22att.

Arkansas only outgained South Carolina 457-416, but SC was -3 turnovers

Army was 13-of-18 passing for 304 yards! Army was -2 turnovers

Auburn only outgained San Jose 61plays-378 to 69plays-329

California only rushed for 92y on 32 att, vs UNLV of all teams.

South Alabama outgained Central Michigan 502-338 (88 plays to 74)

Furman, Furman! outgained Clemson 384-376 (although ypp 6.4 - 5.2 edge Clemson). Clemson only had a 22 to 19 FD edge = Dabo not happy

Gardner-Webb only lost 27-31 at Coastal Carolina, but outgained them 495-354 on the same number of plays. GW lost 5 TOs to Coastal's 2.

MTSU got their doors blown off week 1 returned the favor to Colorado State, outgaining them 380-246. CSU lost 4 TOs to MTSU's 2

ECU outrushed ODU 261-15 and overall outgained them by 241y

Fresno State outgained Oregon State 492-397, but lost at home 32-35. There were no turnovers

UNC beat Georgia State despite being -3 TOs

Georgia Tech had a FD deficit of 15-26, a PY deficit of 100-271 and a TY deficit of 343-390 to Western Carolina. I assume WC's 4 TOs lost helped GT quite a bit.

Virginia and Illinois combined for 7 TOs

Iowa State more than doubled Iowa's total yardage 313-150. Each team had 3 TOs

UAB lost 4 fumbles, outrushed Liberty 241-188 (5.6-4.7)

Eastern Michigan was -5 turnovers playing a role in a game they were winning for most of 2+ Q into a ULL blowout win (456-282 TY for ULL)

Miami Oh owned a 22-9 FD advantage over Robert Morris in the 31-14 win (408-219 TY)

Navy lost 3 more turnovers vs Memphis. Navy has lost 6 turnovers so far this year for a -5 TO margin

Georgia Southern offense outgained Nebraska 642-575 (7.5-7.1)

Not only did Incarnate Word outgain Nevada 616-476 (8.9-5.1 ypp!), but they surprisingly outrushed them 210-176

Duke ran for 221 on Northwestern while NW only managed 76y rushing on 34 att. NW did outgain them overall 511-461, but lost 3 TOs to Duke's 1

Marshall did outgain Notre Dame 364-351, ND was - 3 TOs

Kent State outrushed Oklahaoma 164-134, Kent was -3 TOs and OU did outgain them overall 430-295

Rice benefitted from 5 turnovers, but did outgain McNeese 487-263

South Florida only outgained Howard by 6 yards, 424-418, Howard actually had a 24-20 FD edge. USF had a +2 TO margin

Stanford lost 5 TOs to USC losing none

Temple outgained Lafayette 361-110 and lost 3 TOs in the process to Lafayette's zero

Texas had a 25-16 FD edge on Alabama while Bama outgained them overall by 3 yards

App State dominated Texas A&M with a 22-9 FD advantage and 315-186 TY edge

The game did go to OT, but Texas Tech ran 103 plays! Houston only ran 68. TT outgained them 468-354

UMass determined to run on Toledo had 205y on 54 att, they only passed 7-17-48

Tulane and Utah both had identical 31-4 FD edges over their weak FCS opponents

Weber State matched their 35-7 win on the scoreboard with a 401-283 TY edge. 7 lost turnovers in the game, Weber lost 3 of them

New Mexico State outgained UTEP 324-261

Boston College ran for just 4 net yards on 26 attempts

Kansas outrushed West Virginia 200-146 (5.5-3.8). WVU did outgain them overall 501-419, WVU lost 2 TOs

Wyoming failed to top 300y vs Northern Colorado (293-147, 3.8-2.4ypp). UNC lost 3 turnovers and only rushed for 15y on 24att

Sometimes I dig into these, sometimes not. But here are some state line observations taken from the Pointwise stat page

It's not a surprise that Air Force only attempted 5 passes and completed one...but Colorado also only completed 5 of their passes - in 21 attempts! AF had a 25-8 FD edge!

Miss State held Arizona to 40 rushing yards on 22att.

Arkansas only outgained South Carolina 457-416, but SC was -3 turnovers

Army was 13-of-18 passing for 304 yards! Army was -2 turnovers

Auburn only outgained San Jose 61plays-378 to 69plays-329

California only rushed for 92y on 32 att, vs UNLV of all teams.

South Alabama outgained Central Michigan 502-338 (88 plays to 74)

Furman, Furman! outgained Clemson 384-376 (although ypp 6.4 - 5.2 edge Clemson). Clemson only had a 22 to 19 FD edge = Dabo not happy

Gardner-Webb only lost 27-31 at Coastal Carolina, but outgained them 495-354 on the same number of plays. GW lost 5 TOs to Coastal's 2.

MTSU got their doors blown off week 1 returned the favor to Colorado State, outgaining them 380-246. CSU lost 4 TOs to MTSU's 2

ECU outrushed ODU 261-15 and overall outgained them by 241y

Fresno State outgained Oregon State 492-397, but lost at home 32-35. There were no turnovers

UNC beat Georgia State despite being -3 TOs

Georgia Tech had a FD deficit of 15-26, a PY deficit of 100-271 and a TY deficit of 343-390 to Western Carolina. I assume WC's 4 TOs lost helped GT quite a bit.

Virginia and Illinois combined for 7 TOs

Iowa State more than doubled Iowa's total yardage 313-150. Each team had 3 TOs

UAB lost 4 fumbles, outrushed Liberty 241-188 (5.6-4.7)

Eastern Michigan was -5 turnovers playing a role in a game they were winning for most of 2+ Q into a ULL blowout win (456-282 TY for ULL)

Miami Oh owned a 22-9 FD advantage over Robert Morris in the 31-14 win (408-219 TY)

Navy lost 3 more turnovers vs Memphis. Navy has lost 6 turnovers so far this year for a -5 TO margin

Georgia Southern offense outgained Nebraska 642-575 (7.5-7.1)

Not only did Incarnate Word outgain Nevada 616-476 (8.9-5.1 ypp!), but they surprisingly outrushed them 210-176

Duke ran for 221 on Northwestern while NW only managed 76y rushing on 34 att. NW did outgain them overall 511-461, but lost 3 TOs to Duke's 1

Marshall did outgain Notre Dame 364-351, ND was - 3 TOs

Kent State outrushed Oklahaoma 164-134, Kent was -3 TOs and OU did outgain them overall 430-295

Rice benefitted from 5 turnovers, but did outgain McNeese 487-263

South Florida only outgained Howard by 6 yards, 424-418, Howard actually had a 24-20 FD edge. USF had a +2 TO margin

Stanford lost 5 TOs to USC losing none

Temple outgained Lafayette 361-110 and lost 3 TOs in the process to Lafayette's zero

Texas had a 25-16 FD edge on Alabama while Bama outgained them overall by 3 yards

App State dominated Texas A&M with a 22-9 FD advantage and 315-186 TY edge

The game did go to OT, but Texas Tech ran 103 plays! Houston only ran 68. TT outgained them 468-354

UMass determined to run on Toledo had 205y on 54 att, they only passed 7-17-48

Tulane and Utah both had identical 31-4 FD edges over their weak FCS opponents

Weber State matched their 35-7 win on the scoreboard with a 401-283 TY edge. 7 lost turnovers in the game, Weber lost 3 of them

New Mexico State outgained UTEP 324-261

Boston College ran for just 4 net yards on 26 attempts

Kansas outrushed West Virginia 200-146 (5.5-3.8). WVU did outgain them overall 501-419, WVU lost 2 TOs

Wyoming failed to top 300y vs Northern Colorado (293-147, 3.8-2.4ypp). UNC lost 3 turnovers and only rushed for 15y on 24att
This is invaluable for those of us who indulge in too many adult beverages on Saturday's and have too many adult commitments during the week.

This is invaluable for those of us who indulge in too many adult beverages on Saturday's and have too many adult commitments during the week.

I appreciate that. When I type things it helps me remember what I read.

But everything I typed there can be found in the Pointwise newsletter that Mark Moneymaker shares in the newsletter thread. Post #9. I just added more words to the numbers they provide.

WV losing to Kansas was not super surprising to me. WV couldn't run and Daniels isn't talented enough to win games by himself. Also, Daniels really likes throwing pick-6's late in games.

I get the movement on OK-NE. The smart people have the line -10. I haven't seen Oklahoma this year, but they aren't exactly under performing the spread. I know the whole Frost cash giveaway firing should change things, but really? That defense is average at best. Whipple will be calling plays which means throwing. Ne's o-line can't pass protect. I see OK as a big bet, even with the number going against me.

Back