• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Week 2 Upset Picks Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
College Football Week 2 Upset Alert: High-Profile Teams Finally Get Tested

Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs. NC State Wolfpack
Saturday, September 9, 2023 at noon ET at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh, North Carolina

Notre Dame's "Impressive" Start

As evident in the changes to the Fighting Irish spread and money-line, bettors have a lot of confidence in Notre Dame.

This confidence stems from watching the Irish blow out their first two opponents.

But one should resist this optimism because it is premature.

Navy, which was Notre Dame's first opponent, features a triple-option attack that the Fighting Irish normally only have a week to prepare for.

This time, because Navy was their first opponent, they had all summer.

Tennessee State was Notre Dame's other victim. Tennessee State, though, is an FCS school.

All of this is to say that NC State is the sort of underdog that bettors could easily overlook and, given the odds in favor of Notre Dame, find value in.

Sam Hartman & Notre Dame's Offense

One specific source of confidence in Notre Dame is quarterback Sam Hartman.

While adding Hartman from Wake Forest brings a season-long upgrade to his team's quarterback room, this will not be evident against NC State.

Historically, playing for an ACC rival of the Wolfpack, Hartman has struggled against the Wolfpack, completing 55% of his passes for 923 yards, throwing six touchdowns to six interceptions, and suffering a 1-2 record in three games against them.

With his 3-3-5 scheme, Tony Gibson was the defensive coordinator for NC State all three times, as he currently is.

While a 3-3-5 might seem to be more equipped to defend against spread offenses, Gibson's defense is annually one of the nation's best
at stopping the run.

Brennan Armstrong

Brennan Armstrong enjoys new scenery at NC State where he has already played under the current offensive coordinator and where he enjoys better surrounding talent -- his offensive line at Virginia was awful and his wide receivers let him down with too many drops.

While he has accumulated sundry 400-yard passing performances, Armstrong's key weapon is his legs.

His 96-yard rushing total last week is not new for him.

While Notre Dame under defensive coordinator Al Golden was not tested much in this respect last year, his defense allowed too many big quarterback runs.

This problem with quarterbacks running was evident throughout the season, such as in its November game against USC.

Notre Dame's defensive losses, most notably sack leader Isaiah Foskey, hardly inspire hope for improvement.

With Armstrong, NC State will show the stronger offense, in addition to its characteristically stout defense.

Best Bet: NC State +7.5 at -115 with BetOnline & NC State ML at +240 with BetOnline

Cincinnati Bearcats vs. Pittsburgh Panthers
Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 6:30 p.m. ET at Acrisure Stadium in Pittsburgh

Coaching

Cincinnati skeptics will point to its downgrade at head coach.

While Scott Satterfield is no Luke Fickell, this downgrade will not be apparent on Saturday, because Satterfield loves facing Pittsburgh.

Last year, as the head coach of Louisville, Satterfield led his team to a 24-10 win over Pat Narduzzi's then-star-studded Panthers.

Cincinnati's Defense

The Bearcats' defense will be decisive in this game.

Its defensive line will be solid: Nose tackle Dontay Corleone's was PFF's highest-graded defensive player.

Defensive ends Jowon Briggs and Malik Vann have 19 career sacks combined.

The linebacking corps features havoc-master Daniel Grzesiak.

After helping its team rank 15th-best nationally at limiting opposing passing, the secondary is led by returning veteran personnel.

Saturday's test will be an easy one for the Bearcats.

Pitt quarterback Phil Jurkovec has a lot to prove after struggling severely last year.

The Panthers miss their top running back and their star wide receiver from last year.

Overhauled Panthers' Defense

Pittsburgh's defense is in a transition year after losing six starters.

One key loss was ACC Defensive Player of the Year Calijah Kancey.

With its defensive prowess, Cincinnati will not have to do too much on offense against the Panthers' overhauled group.

Best Bet: Cincinnati +7.5 at -115 with BetOnline & Cincinnati ML at +250 with BetOnline

Oregon Ducks vs. Texas Tech Raiders
Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 7 p.m. ET at Jones AT&T Stadium in Lubbock, Texas

Oregon's Pass Defense

Last year, the Ducks allowed 270.5 passing yards per game, positioning their pass defense at 110th nationally.

Things will only get worse this year after their top cornerback, who was selected in the first round of the NFL Draft, departed.

Plus, Oregon's pass rush was similarly deficient last year.

Its minimal injection of new blood and returning healthier plays suggests that the Ducks' secondary will continue to fail to receive support from their pass rush.

Texas Tech's Loaded Offense

The Red Raiders enjoy tremendous returning talent with which to exploit the vulnerable Ducks' secondary.

Most notable are wide receivers Jerand Bradley, a Preseason All-Big 12 selection, and Myles Price, an All-Big 12 honorable mention.

They have a veteran quarterback throwing to them and they return their leading rusher to keep the defense honest.

Hope for Red Raiders' Defense

Especially after last week, although the FCS's Portland State is not a respectable opponent, Oregon's defense receives a lot of love.

But against a competent team, the Ducks' loss of four starting offensive linemen will become visibly significant.

Quarterback Bo Nix especially had relied on his ability to avoid sacks, so this downgrade in his offensive line will create a unique challenge for him.

Texas Tech's defense returns a lot of experience from a group that had more sacks than any other Big 12 team.

Their two senior tackles in particular will help disrupt Oregon's offensive rhythm and give the Red Raiders a defensive edge that Oregon lacks.

Best Bet: Texas Tech +7 at -115 with BetOnline & Texas Tech ML at +220 with BetOnline

Love cincy.

I think Irish crush ncst myself. I think that offense Armstrong running is exactly like cuse and think he pretty much the same qb as cuse qb last year. Irish held cuse to 60 rush yards last season with a qb who was id say way very similar to Armstrong when it comes to running, and lack of arm strength! I don’t think it makes sense to compare a elite qb running mostly on scrambles hurting them is the same as this offense where taking the qb run and short pass away are the goals coming in. I feel incredibly confident ncst will struggle to even approach 300 yards of offense or score more than 17 points.

Your points about ncst on the defensive side vs nd make some sense to me, I’d be lying if I said I was as confident in Irish offense as the d in this game. I’d say Hartman has a much better oline and run game than that stupid long mesh crap they ran at wake (honestly dunno how that works! Even tho it seems to be pretty effective). Anyways I really think if you like ncst the under has gotta be the play, I dunno how they close if Irish score more than 24? Ncst offense has been trash ever since I can remember and this oc from cuse and Armstrong might make it look different but I suspect is still pretty bad cause it really isn’t that difficult a attack to stop imo and Armstrong isn’t anything special, he a decent athlete willing to run and take beating but if a team comes in knowing his legs are important to take away I don’t think it all that difficult, not like you gotta worry much that he can beat you driving the ball down the field.

I would certainly take Luke Fickell over Saterfiekd to build and run my program but Satterfiekd has a little bit of offensive genius to him. I don’t particularly like him, I think the fact he has a good offensive mind makes him incredibly arrogant and often unwilling to make obvious or necessary adjustments in game but he can dial up some offense and I think Emory Jones a bigger more durable version of Malik cunningham. I think cincy offense gonna light sone big 12 teams up. The coin goes both ways as pitt coach a defensive guy and knows satterfiekd well, last year they totally shut ville down for 3 qrtrs until ville found something and caught fire scoring 17 in the 4th.

I agree Cincy d is important, still enough talent left over on the front 7 I think can slow down pitt run game which all they really want to do, they will run into the line for a yard a carry and ask Jerkovic to keep chains moving on 3rd down: Imo he has never looked the same since he got hurt years ago, ever since the ball doesn’t appear to have the zip it once did out his hand. Maybe he has finally regained that im not sure? But I’m also not that worried since he will mostly be asked to throw in known passing downs where cincy will bring lots of pressure, that just the way pitt runs their offense these days. +7.5 crazy to me cause I have serious doubts pitt I’d actually the better team!!

Back