Week #2 of CFB (9/4-9/6)

Yanks27Sox9

CTG Partner
'08 YTD: 10-5, +6.35 units

It was a pretty good opening week of college football. Nevertheless...i'm still disappointed by one of the losses (the Kansas 1H, and everything that transpired to miss it by only a half a point)...and still amazed, if not dumbfounded, by another one of the losses (Tennessee, and the miracle my depleted Bruins pulled off in the 2nd half). But at least the latter of the two was a much easier pill to swallow.
Anyways, on to the 2nd week. Just getting started on the week, but i still don't like the card all that much. In fact, it seems that i'm already more focused on the 3rd week in a way. Thus the smaller, somewhat more cautious, plays so far.

Friday, 9/5

Ball St (-7) over Navy (-110) for 3/4 unit W
Navy/Ball St over 59 (-110) for 3/4 unit L

Saturday, 9/6

Texas Tech (-9) over Nevada (-110) for 1 unit W

Texas A&M (-2.5) over New Mexico (-110) for 1 unit W

Wake Forest (-7) over Mississippi (-120) for 1.5 units L

Kansas (-20) over Louisiana Tech (-110) for 1 unit W

E Michigan/Michigan St over 56 (-110) for 1 unit L

Northwestern (-6) over Duke (-110) for 1 unit L

4-4, -1.075 units in week two

Updated '08 YTD: 14-9, +5.275 units overall

As always...all plays will be added here in the 1st post as i play them, and i'll back it up with new/additional posts as my card changes/grows over the remainder of the week.
But let's hope the good times continue into the new week...and that we're able to find the diamonds in the rough (of what appears to be a difficult, crap card) as well.

BOL :cheers:

Last edited:
Ok...the 1st four plays.

I played both Texas Tech and Texas A&M on Monday afternoon...and posted both plays, as i played them, in my week one thread...since i didn't have a week two thread at the time. Anyways, they're both there for reference if necessary.

I played both of these games smaller than normal, mostly because i didn't fully trust the lines/etc. There's just something that has me overly cautious this week, and admittedly gun-shy. Hopefully it's nothing more than a case of over-thinking and over-analyzing the games though...as i'm prone to falling into that trap at times.

All that said, i'm more skeptical of A&M (for obvious reasons) than i am of Tech. In fact, i now wish i'd put a normal play in on Tech before the line rose again to 10.5 pts...because i don't believe we'll see single digits again here, short of an ill-conceived dr bob line move.
Anyways, a couple people i trust (BAR initially, and then RJ) convinced me to finally pull the trigger on Texas Tech...at least to some degree. And i'm glad they did. Tech is such the superior team in this matchup, it's not even close...especially if Tech shores up all the unnecessary penalties this week. Bottom line...they should have their way with Nevada offensively...and be able to limit Nevada's running game defensively.
A&M has many more issues to shore up this week than just penalties...and in a way, i'm kind of surprised to be backing them here. But New Mexico is basically horrid this year, as the TCU game demonstrated. And if A&M can protect the ball better and limit their turnovers in this game, focus on handing the ball off to the big fella and letting him run, and their players don't lay another collective egg like they did in the 2nd half against Arky St...i think this is a very short line, and somewhat of an over-reaction to last week.

Anyways, we shall see on these 2 games. But like i said before...not as confident this week, so both plays are just for a unit a piece.

Now Testicle St...

You know the saying that if you have 2 starting QBs, it's because neither one is really good enough to be your starter? Well, i hope that's not the case with my two plays on this Friday night game...which i rarely do, fwiw.
But i liked both Ball St and the over equally...and since i couldn't decide between one, i played both for half my normal wager. (Like i said...not something i normally do, nor would recommend for that matter.)
That said...i also didn't want to miss the 7...and i also wanted to grab the total before it hit the 60s, which is where i think it's headed...so i still may add more to one or both of these plays later in the week.
Anyhow...Testy St will be going berserk on offense, against what amounts to basically a JuCo-level Navy defense. Likewise, Navy will also have their fair share of success running it down Testy St's throat. It'll definitely be a high scoring affair Friday night...but i do also like Testy St to be the side that comes up with the occasional stop on defense...which will also mean the cover, when it's all said & done.
No doubt there'll be points a plenty...but Ball St has the better, more rounded offense...they should easily have the better defense in this matchup...and they should control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. So even though they'll give up plenty of rushing yards...they'll be the team getting the stop every so often...where Navy won't be stopping their offense at all.

Lastly, as of the moment, i don't have a play for the Thursday night game. Leaning to South Carolina...just don't wanna lay double digits here.
That may or may not change...but either way, there'll definitely be more additions for Saturday.

:tiphat:

Yanks...your card is giving me wood! Hehe!

With you on Texas Tech, and leaning to A&M. GL this week brotha!

:cheers:

Let's root on TT and I may join you on the Ball/Navy over. My concern right now is weather.

Yanks...your card is giving me wood! Hehe!

With you on Texas Tech, and leaning to A&M. GL this week brotha!

:cheers:

:36_11_6: Thanks, brotha.

Honestly, the week 3 slate is already giving me a chubby. As much as week two is (seemingly) ugly...week three is downright gorgeous.
Got so sick of looking at this week, that i've kinda moved on to the next one. And i've already got 6 games i love.
Of course it's gonna depend upon this week's performances, any injuries and shit, and where the lines open...but if everything's favorable, i'm gonna actually be sitting here on sunday (for once) and waiting for the lines to come out at bookmaker...ready to pounce on up to 6 plays right outta the gate. But i digress...

BOL this week, Aztec. Let's cash them. :shake:

Let's root on TT and I may join you on the Ball/Navy over. My concern right now is weather.

Seems to be the issue of the week, considering. Nevertheless, i'm hoping for the best. But if it's the worse, i might consider buying off of Friday altogether. We shall see...
Red Raiders :shake:

LJC :shake:
BAR :shake:

thx guys :cheers:

Ok...two pre-dr bob additions...

Wake Forest (-7) @ (-120) for 1.5

and
Kansas (-20) @ (-110) for 1

Was hoping i'd see a 7 eventually with Wake...but when it hit 7.5 today, i couldn't wait any longer...so i bought the 1/2 pt.
And back to the well w/ Kansas...though for the full game this time.

Anyways, still a small week for me. Got a few other lines i'm watching...but other than that, like i said a couple posts above, i'm WAY more into the 3rd week right now. Beyond Ohio St/USC, it's a beautiful slate of games to look forward too...especially when compared to this week's slate.

GL :cheers:

Well the Friday nite game was kinda Yag. Just a spilt of the 2 plays, and juiced out.

Anyhow, got my last 2 adds for the weekend.

EMU/MSU over 56 @ (-110) for 1
and
NW (-6) @ (-110) for 1

Think the Spartans have hit 50 by themselves in the last few meetings...but also think EMU will be able to put up some of their own here.
Like i did with Wyoming last week, i'm following the crowd on Northwestern getting revenge. Just hope we get a more favorable result this week.

But that's it. Light week for me. Besides not liking the card much...just think it also kind of sets up for some carnage. Hope i'm wrong...but that's a big part of why i'm treading carefully this weekend, and waiting for week three.

:shake:

knew it was going to be a bad week for many...though at least the carnage was fairly minimal. and damn those last 2 additions i made on friday night. when will i learn...

4-4, -1.075 units in week two. juiced out...

new ytd = 14-9, +5.275 units

anyways, at least it wasn't too gruesome. and at least the week three card is enticingly good, if not downright sexy.
i'm going to be ready for the lines on sunday, like i said above...and could jump on up to 6 games right outta the gate. but it'll all depend upon the lines, as they come out. hopefully some of today's stuff (like ohio st) won't have too much of a negative affect for me, and take away the value i'm hoping to see. but we'll see what happens tomorrow afternoon...

hope your wagers today did better than mine. :cheers:

Back