Week 2 ML Dogs

Sitake seems good-natured but a bit slow. He took a lot of ribbing from the other coaches when he was in the Coaches Film Room for one of the alternate broadcast for a playoff game a couple years ago. As in, "What do you think? Fake punt here?" I thought Niumatalolo and his disciplined players would have an advantage in preparation over BYU. It turns they never tackled AT ALL in fall camp.

So I would have presumed a similar advantage for Army over ULM, but now I'm wondering. Our military is getting soft, and I might take a flyer on ULM after I actually research the game.

Also, while I am not up on ULM yet, Army did allow their corp of cadets (about 4500 I heard) at their home game providing some energy vs Navy's empty stadium and lifeless practice game feel.

Here's Dave Clawson on:

HOW HITTING AND TACKLING WAS DONE IN CAMP

and

IF MISSED TACKLES MIGHT BE MORE PREVALENT EARLY IN THE SEASON

I can't say Wake looks very attractive as a moneyline play.

More from Clawson:

ON IF THERE ARE GUYS ON TODAY’S DEPTH CHART WHO WON’T BE AVAILABLE BECAUSE OF COVID

Clawson: “You won’t know until kickoff, and I might not know until kickoff. We’re doing these tests on Friday and we won’t get the results until Saturday. I don’t know if there’s any coach in the country who's handing out a depth chart that knows if that’s their real depth chart. It’s the unknown. We haven’t put anything on our depth chart that’s deceptive, but things can change. What changes between Tuesday and Saturday, I don’t know. We have two more rounds of testing we have to get through. Based on the last round of testing, we’re good. But what we learn Wednesday to Thursday or Friday to Saturday, there could be changes.”

Yeah, late scratches due to positives or contact tracing is going to be a nightmare this year.

Ingame betting is going to be huge but 5Dimes is restructuring and shutting down on 9/21 so it's going to be a real mess.

D'Eriq King provides a total X-factor unknown for Miami. That aside, Canes have lost 3 straight as a favorite (bowl vs LT, at Duke and vs FIU) and have lost 5 of their last 7 outright as a favorite. In all of 2019 they lost 6 times outright as a favorite! And in 2018 they were upset 5 times as a fav including the bowl.

UAB on the other hand has yet to fair well vs P5 teams despite their strong return to football in 2017. They are 0-3 ATS vs P5 ('17 +10' at UF lost 7-36, '18 +16' at aTm lost 20-41 and '19 +12' at Tenn lost 7-30).

I mentioned earlier here, I don't have a great deal of confidence in their QB, but do like their OL and running game. But vs a Miami D, is that enough and can their passing game make enough plays?

Vs the 2019 Miami O, I would really like this UAB D to hang. But with King now, I'm not sure what to expect. I can't see myself risking anything on a UAB ML even though Miami has repeatedly been vulnerable as a fav.

The total still seems high to me. Two good defenses here and UAB has already had live game reps with tackling, bye on deck. Canes have LV next week.

Trying to keep track of the players out for coronavirus related issues is going to drive people crazy. I think for the most part, unless we know it is a special key player, I'm not going to put much stock in it. Right before KO ESPN showed maybe 7 guys that were going to be missing from Texas State, including their best DL (Caeveon Patton). They also made a big deal about Texas St not having any TEs available and would have to play OL at TE and their #2 QB as out too. Had the starting QB gotten hurt, that could've mattered, but none of the other stuff mattered.

It was about 7 or 8 years ago that Texas Tech was missing their top 9 defensive ends, and somehow they made do and covered.

Monroe D coordinator quit 10 days ago because he was tired or some shit

Good tip. I looked it up. The LB coach is now DC and he has prior DC experience at other lower-tier midmajor and IAA teams and was once HC at his alma mater, so not a green coach stepping in and no signifcant changes are expected to the D under the former DC, but still noteworthy disruption.

Here is something though, this upcoming 9/12 Army game was added to the schedule August 25th. ULM's revised original opener was supposed to be vs Troy 9/5, which got postponed. ULM suspended football activities for 10 days on August 21st due to covid stuff. So they resumed Monday 8/31, just days after hurricane Laura came through. Their "extra" prep time for the option has been pretty hectic, they didn't know they were playing Army, had to miss a bunch of practice time, deal with a hurricane, a covid outbreak and then resumed to prep for Army (who has game under belt and looks well oiled) with a different DC and some shortages in personnel.

Three players listed in Phil Steele's book as starters have opted out (WR Batiste, DE Harasison (JC RS '19), MLB Harding (#3 tackler and #1 TFL guy).

Hard to see ULM fairing well.

They're pretty high. I posted some comments at the SBN site "One Foot Down" today that share my observations from his time at Clemson.

I looked around on that site, but wasn't able to find anything. Must be in the comments of one of the stories?

So I don't think I will have any MLs, but looking at a couple of these matchups, I am excited from a fans perspective. I think A State - K State, ULL-ISU and WKU-LV could be pretty good games where an upset would not surprise me. GT-FSU is a total unknown to me. And then a couple games I haven't even looked at yet.

Probably more 'want to' than 'think so', but I believe Duke will compete better than the spread implies, certainly better than 2019...both for negative ND reasons and for positive Duke reasons. But I can't make any case for the upset, but would be cool and while unlikely, not entirely impossible either. With that said I don't think I'm putting anything on it...well maybe I could throw $10 on it at 8.5. Would be fun.

So I don't think I will have any MLs, but looking at a couple of these matchups, I am excited from a fans perspective. I think A State - K State, ULL-ISU and WKU-LV could be pretty good games where an upset would not surprise me. GT-FSU is a total unknown to me. And then a couple games I haven't even looked at yet.

Probably more 'want to' than 'think so', but I believe Duke will compete better than the spread implies, certainly better than 2019...both for negative ND reasons and for positive Duke reasons. But I can't make any case for the upset, but would be cool and while unlikely, not entirely impossible either. With that said I don't think I'm putting anything on it...well maybe I could throw $10 on it at 8.5. Would be fun.
Agree with you on those 4 as most likely to produce a ML win this weekend....I would add UTSA-Texas State as well...longshot is The Citadel.

The 4 that have my attention are Louisiana Lafayette, Gtech, Charlotte, and coastal Carolina,

I wanna play C Carolina as a Kansas fade, but this line movement from 3 to 6.5 is spooky....CC has had Covid problems (4 guys reported as OUT from report two days ago), does somebody know something? Sure seems like it.

Coastal Carolina message board with gameday thread. Maybe if something under the surface comes up, it will appear there.

KU had some active cases on their team as well, not sure they ever said who those players were either.

I wanna play C Carolina as a Kansas fade, but this line movement from 3 to 6.5 is spooky....CC has had Covid problems (4 guys reported as OUT from report two days ago), does somebody know something? Sure seems like it.

I hear ya. That only one of those 4 I’m not sure im gonna play.

Taking the points with all those I mentioned then did a little 4 team RR on char, tech, ark st, ull mls for shits and giggles. Just 5 buck groups of 2s.

Liking ull a lot, see a lot of ppl asking why that line so low and teasing isu down, plus isu has that number next to their names ppl love! Lol.

I don’t wanna be against ville but that another number you can get under a td with a 6 point teaser which makes me suspicious.

WKU - LV is one of the more intreguing games to me today. I think both defenses play better than some might expect. Just not sure how Pigryme will work at WKU.

WKU - LV is one of the more intreguing games to me today. I think both defenses play better than some might expect. Just not sure how Pigryme will work at WKU.

yea I can’t wait to watch that one but can’t see making a play. Might tease ville down if I can find a partner I like.

For what my $0.02 is worth.....Two cappers I have followed over the years are dilaudid8 and The Parlay Picker....dilaudid8 always took the dog with the best QB and better defense....not sure about the QB but WKY certainly has the better defense. TPP always loved the in-state rivals as one of his criteria and this game checks off that box.

:popcorn:

Also....Scott Satterfield is 13-1 SU at home, against a team in which his team won the previous matchup, and his team had a winning season the year before. However, I always find it very interesting when I see lines at the bottom of the list as compared to the rest of the lines in comparable games as noted in the green circle below.

:popcorn:

ul-wky.jpg

It's a bit late to the party with this one but is Charlotte the darkhorse of the day? New coach at Appy St....can he keep the momentum? Will Healy had a winning season last year and figures to be better this year....and at least one person out there is pumped for Charlotte 49ers football:

actually 3rd coach in last 3 years. That was def part of why I liked Charlotte, plus 49ers just played pretty tough last year. They were so in this one until the end. At least they covered!!

tech back in scoring range, so far 2 trips no points.. now the offense going backwards after d setting them up.. unreal, they cant get out their own damn way.

Taking the points with all those I mentioned then did a little 4 team RR on char, tech, ark st, ull mls for shits and giggles. Just 5 buck groups of 2s.

why oh why didnt i do it for 20 each or something! lol.. still picked up a extra 350 or so hitting 3 of 6 two teamers.

Back